Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #61
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Rbenz
WOE: Trying to resist anything white.
Morning!

Misty~Yay...the ice is melting! Yeah, bet your Bike will be cleaner since you Covered It! I likey that Kale...the texture of it. Yum...pork tenderloin.

CJ~Heard there was some more tornado action in OK/MO! Yes, went SUP'n yesterday. No snow on the ground here!

Deb~Glad the LH is getting spiffed up! U have any before/after pix to show us? Glad your fiber intake took effect! Going to record the CMAs.

Scale still isn't my friend! I did have some roasted sweet taters yesterday (they were delish) along with too much sodium eats! Went SUP'n for 1.5hr yesterday. Today, going to walk or bike. Dinner will be L/O chic & slaw.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #62
Deb
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb
Pats ontop

I should have taken before pix..but I didn't

Will make sure I have my camera next weekend

roasted sweet tater......oh yum

Im going to PVR the awards too because im up for class early in the morn

Making burger and rotel and wings today
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #63
Deb

Came across this
looks and and easy

Clean Eating Alfredo Sauce

Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 cup|Calories: 140| Previous Points: 3| Points Plus: 3| Total Fat: 5 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 54 mg | Sodium: 289 mg | Carbohydrates: 3 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 21 g |

Ingredients
•1 tablespoon olive oil
•3 cloves garlic, minced
•3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
•3 cups cauliflower florets
•1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
•Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for a minute or two, being careful not to let it burn.

Bring the stock to a boil and add the cauliflower. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes until the cauliflower is tender. Transfer the cauliflower, including liquid, to a blender and blend until smooth. Add the cheese and continue blending. You can add more stock or milk to thin the sauce to your liking. Season with salt and pepper before serving.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:49 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SummerBreeze63
Stats: 202/197/146
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 29, 2009
Deb- The alfredo sauce looks yummy and not too hard to make. I have to make simple recipes, because I am too lazy to spend much time cooking.

Cheryl- Hope your Mom is feeling better and able to control her pain a bit. I saw that severe weather up your way.. guess it is really spring now. We are doing a slow warm up here, and not nearly enough rain.

We had a beautiful Saturday and spent much of the day outside. Sunday was cool and cloudy. We got the portable hot tub set back up last weekend so we spent some time in it this weekend. Very relaxing. My ds school year wraps up in about a month so they are squeezing all the activities in right now. Friday night was dodgeball night, tonight is band concert. Next week is music and dance programs. Somewhere in there we have two field trips scheduled as well. Combine that with all the wedding prep going on right now and I am really keeping busy.

Today I will be working around the house trying to catch up a little.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!!
SummerBreeze63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CJMO
WOE: My way mixing it low carb
Nice cool sunny day here. Grass is greening up. Daffodils are blooming. Spring is here.

V we did pretty good storm wise. Nothing but a few branches down. How long til the wedding?

Deb that sauce looks good. And easy

Pat does you island have mountain snow or is that one of the others?

Misty. I wouldn't get out on that lake either. So glad DH and DS are doing better. Won't be long and you and Karen will be out on your bikes

Jo Kristie how you doing.

Mom is still in a lot of pain. Not going to church or anywhere. Come on 21st.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #66
Deb

Cheryl glad spring has sprung..poor mom

V you sure r busy

I dusted of my bow-flex this morning..we stayed up and watched the awards last night so it was a late night and a sleep in so I missed class

WOW what a great show and did Miranda Lambert ever look good..she has lost a bunch of weight
Old 04-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cudabear
Stats: 168/146/140 - 5'4
WOE: 4:3 - Low Carb/Low Cal
Start Date: Sept 2013
Actually got the patio furniture out this weekend and was able to sit in the sun (in a sweater, but i'll take it!!)
+4lbs from my usual weekend Up Days.. Right back down to low cal/low carb this week. Noticed I am really gaining a lot on the weekends and finding it a wee challenging to get it all back off and then some by my Friday weigh in's. Hubby and I decided this upcoming weekend we are going to try to keep to lowish cal/carbs and see what a difference it makes for my April 18th weight. Curious to see if that metabolism boost I get each week works better than staying true and fighting through
Old 04-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #68
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: misty1028
Stats: high 189 to 115 restart 169/123/120
WOE: low carb-Atkins/South Beach
Start Date: 1st-9-13-04 restart 1-1-11
After the gym I did some yard work, it needs alot of work. Still working around the snow but it's melting pretty fast. but it's till so damp out because of the frozen lake. Got up in the 50s and going to rain all night, so maybe the lake will melt down some.

Pat I love roasted sweet taters. Actually all roasted vegies.

Deb nice recipe, going to make it this week. I love trying new recipes, get sick of the same things. Maybe pour it over baked chicken. I thought the same thing about Miranda too, so looks great. Wonder how she lost it.

V wow your sure are busy. I'd love to get a hot tub. DS has one and even uses it in the winter. Sent me pick of him and DIL in it while it was snowing.

Cheryl ss mom is still in pain, is it letting up at all? Yes I can't wait to ride. I know DH will be out before me. The dirt roads are still frozen in spots. I too scared.

Karen things must be at a crunch time, with people wanting there taxes done so late.
misty1028 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #69
Deb

Misty........

Miranda Lambert’s Weight Loss — How She Did It With Diet & Exercise - Hollywood Life
Old 04-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #70
Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1028 View Post

Deb nice recipe, going to make it this week. I love trying new recipes, get sick of the same things. Maybe pour it over baked chicken..
that's a great idea..and maybe add some prawns
Old 04-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!

Deb that sounds like an easy healthy way to lose weight. I could do that. but boy she looks like she lost more than a dress size. but must be the exercise. That was the same brand of kale salad I bouhgt but they only had a 12oz bag so going to look at another store.

Was just watching Racheal Ray and Heidi Klum was on making Sauerkraut Soup, so easy going to make that soon. Ok pork tendersoin tonight. Was going to have it yesterday but ended up going to neighbors for grilled burgers.

Krista I've been journaling my food and see why I gain on some weekends. I actually lost this weekend, but I know it was only the gain that I had from chinese last week.

Last edited by misty1028; 04-07-2014 at 02:04 PM..
Old 04-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Oh Misty, I certainly know why I gain on the weekends.. I hold off any drinking and poor eting choices during the week and then go nuts on the weekends.. Keeps me super good during the week knowing I can have what I want on the weekend, but I really need to get that down from Thurs-Sun to Fri/Sat.. Will proably be a vast improvement.

So I went to the Dr. to get some results. Everything came back just dandy which is great and frustrating at the same time.. Now we are playing the wait and see if it comes back game.
BUT the Dr. did mention my LDL cholesterol is high (4.64).. YIKES! Recommends I lay off dairy, pork, red meat, egg yolks.. Pretty well my entire diet. I know some people have said in the first 3-4 months your LDL can shoot up, but will pop back down by month 6.. Anyone have any experience with this? Grapling with how to proceed..
never had high cholersterol before!
Cudabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't remember having a problem but it could have been I started right after an appt. My cholesterol runs a little over 200 but it's because my HDL is so high. So my ratio is great.
CJMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Misty: I have been enjoying sauerkraut soup my whole life. My german granny taught me how to make it. But, our kraut is made from ham.. usually boil the leftovers off of a shank bone. I love it and thought it was a german secret recipe..lol. It is low carb except for the potatoes.. but they can be left out.

Cuda: I am a weekend cheater. I admit it and it is the thing that messes me up everytime. I am not sure about the cholesterol. Except that there is a good high cholesterol. I do know some people are prone to it. My brother has it and he is not over weight at all. Mine is always perfect and I am over weight. I think he takes meds for it.

Cheryl: The wedding is May 31.. I am going to start looking for a dress this weekend. I am so sorry to hear Mom is still struggling with her pain. It just wears a person down.

Deb- Miranda is a beauty, and I like her hubby too. Did ya break in the dusted off bow flex yet??

My day was tough. I got a call from the school that ds fell during recess and broke off a big chuck of one of his front teeth. I needed to come get him right away and get him to a dentist. So I called the dentist as I drove to the school. They got him right in for x-rays. It was something they could fix without a root canal but we had to come back a few hours later to get the work done. They did it without any pain killer because ds still wanted to play his trumpet at band concert. We finished up at dentist about 45 minutes before concert... whew. He was able to play and everything worked out. His tooth looks great.. dentist worked some kind of magic with "filler"
But, now I am tired. The day was shot, and not much cleaning got done. Guess I will start over tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:38 PM   #75
Deb

Guys im going off for a while...

I love you all but I need a break

I know you all understand

Old 04-08-2014, 05:37 AM   #76
Blabbermouth!!!

Goodmorning, have to work today so going to the gym early. DH BD today so taking him out to dinner early because he had a meeting at the FD.

Krista not sure on the cholesteral, how are the other levels on it.

V this kraut soup has no potatos, so it really lc. I'll post the recipe. Heidi Klum said it was and old recipe too but she changed it up a bit. Glad DS got his tooth fixed and was able to play in the concert. I did something like that years ago, drop a shirt of the floor from the dryer and the door swung in front of me and smack broke my front tooth.

Deb we'll miss you hope your not gone to long
Old 04-08-2014, 07:04 AM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Summer - Awe that sucks.. Poor guy! I went through that a few years back, knocked out my 2 front teeth.. Amazing the things those dentists can do!

Misty - Not sure, she just mentioned my 'bad cholesterol' numbers..

Deb - It's because it's finally nice out you want to spend all your time in the great outdoors instead of inside with us isnt it?!
Well we'll see you when you make your wy back!

I think i'm going to just keep at things right now, I have to get checked again in 3 months so we'll see if it drops at all.. Maybe incorporate more chicken & fish(ew).. less ground beef? If it doesn't drop so help me if I have to I will go full vegetarian to stay off medication for the rest of my life.. Lets hope it doesn't resort to that
Old 04-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Deb

V I'm glad it all worked out for DS. Whew! The wedding isn't far off. Post a pix of the dress when you find it

Misty are you ever going to thaw out?

Cuda vegan huh? Good luck

My weight is slowly going down. Not near as fast as it popped up but it is moving.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Deb- We will miss ya.... come back soon. Enjoy your break...

Cheryl- Might be dress hunting this weekend. Of course I have not lost as much weight as I wanted... but I am smaller up top and bigger on bottom so a dress is usually more forgiving. My weight is slowly edging down too. I think sometimes that is better that the fast drop.. even though I like it.

Misty- I will be looking for the kraut soup recipe

Cuda- I sure hope you don't have to go vegan. That would kill me... I love meat, most especially beef.

We are finally getting some warm weather. Tomorrow it will be near 80. I hope the wind settles down so I can grill some chicken breast for dinner.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:49 AM   #80
Blabbermouth!!!

V here's the recipe
Heidi Klum's Sauerkraut Soup

3 medium onions
Vegetable oil, for drizzling
1 pound ground beef
Salt and pepper
2 cups chopped mushrooms (small white ones)
1 2-pound bag sauerkraut
1 28-ounce can peeled tomatoes
1 cup vegetable broth
1 bottle shish kebab sauce
2 cups water
1/2 cup heavy cream
PREPARATION

Cut onions in small cubes and brown in pan with a drizzle of oil. Add ground beef, salt and pepper, and brown meat.

Cut mushroom in small pieces and add to meat and onions.

Add sauerkraut, tomatoes, vegetable broth and shish kebab sauce, and simmer for 15 minutes, adding water when needed (you may need more than 2 cups).

Right before serving, stir in heavy cream.

I'll tell you how it come out when I make it. Also she said you could use chili sauce if you can't find the kabab sauce. Almost the same.

Last edited by misty1028; 04-09-2014 at 04:52 AM..
Old 04-09-2014, 05:07 AM   #81
Blabbermouth!!!

Don't have to work until 10 today, so going to hit the gym a little later. Gooing to be nice the rest of the week, in the 60s so hope to see a nice thaw. I'd love to see the open water before Easter.

Cherly wtg on the weight coming off, even if it's slow. My scale has been up and down the same few lbs. Trying to get a jump start to get it moving again. How's the weather up your way. Are you going to start going to the LH soon? We have so much yard work from all the wind, and noticed some of my lawn has freeze burn so going to have to seed some of it. How your mom doing? any let up on the pain

Krista chicken and fish sounds good. And lean beef. It's the high fat meats and processed meats that causes alot of problem. Is it getting warmer there? Spring is so late here.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Cheryl & Summer - that's fantastic the weight is coming off.. Sometimes slow and steady is the only way.

Misty - Vegetarian will be by all means a last resort, but at the moment I really do eat just lean/extra lean ground beef, chicken, a small bit of pork and salmon.. I try to stay away from all processed foods already.. So strange. I'm trying to cut back a bit now on dairy as I noticed I had been eating quite a bit of cheese but other than that, and the ground beef, everything else I eat has been pretty well balanced. Guess we'll see!

Spring is late arriving here too. Was super warm here yesterday (+20c/68f) but we had 50km (31m/hr) winds so we couldn't even enjoy it.. Was BBQing some chicken breasts and had to restart the BBQ 3 times.. Needless to say it took a while to get dinner on the table .. Today not so nice.. Snowed last night, roads are crappy.. I need to move to a warmer place
Old 04-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
I have had some success getting back on track these past two days. I (mostly) stuck to my DownDay plan yesterday. It was sooo hard because I was ravenously hungry. I did allow myself a small cheat but it was hardly "crap" since it was 3/4 cup cauliflower with 1/4 cup homemade low-carb masala sauce. About 100 calories more than my plan. Still I ended up with too many carbs and my blood ketonbe monitor says I am out of ketosis again. The reading was .9 (goal is 1.3 - 3.0). So, no cheats for me today, not even cauliflower cheats! lol

4/8: 138.2
4/9: 137.8

My scale is getting wonky. This morning it gave me a nice new low, but I always weigh twice. The second time it gave me a huge jump up, so I weighed myself several times and there were some really divergent readings. Yesterday was a down day; I "feel" skinnier (know what I mean, when you can just tell you've lost?) I weighed myself on my old scale and it said 135.5. So I am going with the first reading from my regular scale. Tomorrow, I change the batteries!

nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #84
Blabbermouth!!!

Long day but work is done until next tuesday and the weather is supposed to be really nice and warm.

Krista wow your eating sounds great maybe the cholesteral reading was just off for that reading. Hope so. SS your got snow, no more for use I hope. Going to try and grill this weekend but we get the high winds right now too. Think I try something quick like steak LOL.

nikki wow are weight and goals are almost the same. I weighed in at 137 this morning. I weigh everyday. Just hopeing for a little whosh to get the scale moving again. I need to wear a bathing suit this summer.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Scale still moving down pretty day here. 70's.

Misty I'm glad it's finally warming up there. And off til Tues. no LH for a while yet. DH is going to have to move the shed and break concrete to get to the collapsed septic line. We're afraid the top of the tank will collapse when we do that. So that could be a big deal. Good recipe!

Summer I am the same shape. Did your wind die down? Ours did. It is beautiful

Krista I tend to be impatient when losing but I've so much trouble getting it off this time I'm satisfied with a slow loss. Is your snow gone? Hopefully it warms up and stays that way

Nikki great on staying on plan. on wonky scale.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mom gets her new door for her safe room tomorrow. just in time for storm season. She had a bad day yesterday but a good one today. She's just taking it easy

I only work 1 day this week. Ahhhhhh it's nice to have some time off. Especially when it's nice out. I had windows open and sat outside for awhile. Just took it easy myself today.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Cheryl- I am so happy to hear that Mom is getting her new door for the safe room!! That will sure make things better for storm season. I am glad she had a good day.. and hope there will be many more in the future.

Misty- That Kraut Soup is completely different than the way my granny made it.. but I would be happy to give it a try. It is interesting how different things can be. I know back in my grandmas day, they made a lot of things from ham or pork.. items that could be smoked and cured because they did not have a fridge.
I am printing it out... Thanks for posting it!!

Nikki- Sometimes your ketones will read low if you are keeping your fat intake really low. So if you are eating low cal/ fat.. your ketones may read low. You do not have a lot of weight to lose, so your body will fight to hang on to it.

Deb- I know you are on break, but I still am thinking about you my friend. I hope you are having lots of fun. Cheers!

Cuda- I fired up the grill this evening and had to fight the wind too. But, it was a nice warm wind at least!! I made some mesquite marinated chicken and some stuffed portabellas... yum. I am ready to load the grill with all the summer veggies now.

I did make it to work out this morning, and will be meeting dd at the gym at 5:45 in the morning. Staying on plan and feeling pretty good. See you all tomorrow!! Good Night...
Old 04-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Cheryl - Wow a safe room for storms?! That's crazy talk! Are you in the Tornado belt? (glad your mom had a good day.. Hope for another today).. I still have a snow bank in my back yard about 2ft deep, but other than that all the latest snow has melted.

Summer - That sounds delish! I was going to do garden burgers on the BBQ lastnight but decided not to fight with the wind and just did it inside instead.. Only going to be 2 degrees here on Saturday!!! (35.6F)
Old 04-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

image.jpg

I hope this doesn't load sideways

Yes we live in tornado alley. This is Moms old neighborhood. Google Joplin tornado. It was one of the deadliest tornados in history. She lived with me for a year while she recovered from her injuries, at least enough to live on her own. She obviously is still having problems. Like a lot of people.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Wow - Yes the Joplin tornado was all over the news, even here.
We are quite lucky where we live, for the most part we are pretty sheltered from most natural disasters (minus the major flooding we had last year.. Was so bad it was even on the news while I was in Germany!) But not really known for earthquakes or tornados and land locked from tsunamis & hurricanes.