Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 06:41 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kauaimom
Newbie Challenge - April, 2014

Newbie Challenge – April, 2014

Join me, kind of a newbie, for a fun challenge and the possibility of a substantial loss in April!

Of course anyone can join, but you might want to:

~ Need to lose 50 lbs. or more
~ Want to learn more about this low carb woe (way of eating)
~ Want to learn about some of the abbreviations, like “lct” (made that one up myself….low carb talk)
~ Want to see what works for other people and modify and apply it to your own woe
~ Want lots of support and a thread where any question about low carb eating is encouraged
~ Want to be part of a challenge lead by a person who has never lead a challenge before, but has lots of enthusiasm and is determined and passionate about this and is excited to look back say…”I am not the same person I was on April 1st!” I will be Smiling and Smaller!”
~ Support newbie’s and share what you have learned on your low carb journey and be an encouragement as you also lose weight.

There will be a set of guideline for people to follow (if they choose)...things like encouraged to post everyday, weigh-in dates, etc. Those suggested guidelines will be posted soon. I just wanted to get this post on the boards today so people can think NOW about the possibility of joining.
kauaimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GoBahnsen
Stats: Have lost 42 lbs since Nov.19, 2013
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 188 as of March 5, 2014 6'2"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaimom View Post
Newbie Challenge – April, 2014

Join me, kind of a newbie, for a fun challenge and the possibility of a substantial loss in April!

Of course anyone can join, but you might want to:

~ Need to lose 50 lbs. or more
~ Want to learn more about this low carb woe (way of eating)
~ Want to learn about some of the abbreviations, like “lct” (made that one up myself….low carb talk)
~ Want to see what works for other people and modify and apply it to your own woe
~ Want lots of support and a thread where any question about low carb eating is encouraged
~ Want to be part of a challenge lead by a person who has never lead a challenge before, but has lots of enthusiasm and is determined and passionate about this and is excited to look back say…”I am not the same person I was on April 1st!” I will be Smiling and Smaller!”
~ Support newbie’s and share what you have learned on your low carb journey and be an encouragement as you also lose weight.

There will be a set of guideline for people to follow (if they choose)...things like encouraged to post everyday, weigh-in dates, etc. Those suggested guidelines will be posted soon. I just wanted to get this post on the boards today so people can think NOW about the possibility of joining.
Good morning kauaimom I'm into the last 10 of my 50. About 6.5 to go. These are the hardest pounds to shed thus far. Can you help me out?
Lave a great LCT day
GoBahnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:32 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Sorry. I can't be of any help. Wish I was at a point where I could. That day is coming! Congratulations on your weight loss!
Old 03-29-2014, 07:35 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaimom View Post
Sorry. I can't be of any help. Wish I was at a point where I could. That day is coming! Congratulations on your weight loss!
Awwwww....you must know something I don't
Old 03-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TowerOrchard
Stats: 222/182/155
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: January 7, 2014
I'd like to join!!! Not sure if I still qualify as a newbie, since I began in January, but I have been hoping for an April challenge. I have a big event coming up on May 2, and I REALLY want to get below 190 pounds for that. And I am all about support & learning!!!

Thanks for being brave enough to jump in and start this, kauaimom. I thought about it, but figured I would leave it to the pros, so I admire you taking the lead as a newbie!
TowerOrchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerOrchard View Post
I'd like to join!!! Not sure if I still qualify as a newbie, since I began in January, but I have been hoping for an April challenge. I have a big event coming up on May 2, and I REALLY want to get below 190 pounds for that. And I am all about support & learning!!!

Thanks for being brave enough to jump in and start this, kauaimom. I thought about it, but figured I would leave it to the pros, so I admire you taking the lead as a newbie!
Hi TowerOrchard Even tho kauaimom was unable to solve my difficulty, she has hired me to be a greeter

So to this thread for newbies

Please enjoy your stay and please stay as long as you like
Old 03-30-2014, 07:32 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

GoBahnsen, you just put a big smile on my face! Yes, I would love to have you as the official greeter.

TowerOrchard, I loved your comment..."I am all about support and learning."

I think I am going to use that phrase today when I post about the suggested guidelines, and have people register!

I think on May 1st, we are all going to be smiling and smaller for sure!
Old 03-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Guidelines are set!!! Fun! Newbies and Others!

Suggested Guidelines for Newbie Challenge, April 2014

(Please follow them if you can so we are all doing about the same thing)

~ Keep track of everything you eat (but do not post it). This month is going to be a month where you will compile a great wealth of information.

~ Keep track of your carbs and post total count daily. The learning curve on counting carbs could possibly be steep, but necessary.

~ Share recipes and ideas about low carb eating.

~ Weigh in on days 10, 15, and 25 only. These three weigh-in dates have significant meaning. Along with your weight loss on May 1st, you will GET something else when weighing on these specific dates. Trust me on this.

~ Report your weight loss on the above three days only (April 10, 15, and 25).

~ On May 1st, we will report our total weight loss for the month of April.

~ Set a realistic goal for how much weight you think you can lose and share it with the group.

~ Set one other personal goal and share it with the group. It can be something as simple as flossing your teeth every day.

Volunteers needed:

Leader (1 person): This person will set-up this thread and lead with a merry heart thoughtout the duration of the thread (month of April): POSITION FILLED.

Greeter (1 person): This person will officially welcome each new person. POSTION FILLED.

Stats person (1 person): Keep track of everyone’s stats on days 10, 15, and 25. Post totals for this challenge.

Recipe gatherer (1 person): Start a collection of recipes posted during this challenge. Make them available upon request. (Not a clue how to do this).

Encouagers: Take an interest in team members and encourage, encourage, encourage! (More than one person wanted)

Dispenser of Knowledge: There are a plethora of you out there who have walked this road for a long time. Answer questions and share your knowledge. (more than one person wanted)

Carb Counter Statistician: Help with any questions about carb counts. (more than one person wanted)

Color Commentary: Share anything you have read on this site (or can find)… quotes, jokes, sayings, etc. There are so many great sayings even at the bottom of people’s posts. (more than one person wanted)

Comic: Add some humor. (more than one person wanted)

Maintainer: Share with us what it is like to be there! We want to be there! You will motivate us just knowing you have done it! Share with us again and again what it feels like to be at your goal weight! (more than one person wanted)

Here is how you register: Copy and paste the registration below and post it.

User name:

Realistic weight loss goal for month of April:

Additional “personal goal” (share one only):

Volunteer position (optional):
Old 03-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Reddress
Stats: Start: 221 Goal: 175 Current:202
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2014
User name: Reddress

Realistic weight loss goal for month of April: I honestly don't know. I know what I want, but I have no idea if it is realistic for a month or not.

Additional “personal goal” (share one only): To get to the walking track and/or exercise in another form at least three times a week

Volunteer position (optional): How about I contribute what I can, whether it be humour, colour commentary, or support depending on the situation? LOL
Reddress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:13 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I can be the recipe gatherer.

Realistic weight loss goal - I'll hold off giving a specific number 'til tomorrow. I am going to weigh then and set my goal. My last official weigh in was 198, but I should be a little lower than that tomorrow. I want to be below 190 at the end of the month.

My personal goal is to figure out how navigate all of the social events I have planned for this month where lots of carby food will be served. I just looked at my calendar - man, oh man. I have at least two parties or social gatherings planned every week - some weeks more.

Do you want total carbs or net carbs? I guess it would be no big deal to post both.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

User name: kauaimom

Realistic weight loss goal for month of April: 10 pounds

Additional “personal goal” (share one only): Knee exercises daily

Volunteer position (optional): Leader
Old 03-31-2014, 08:45 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Volunteer position: Recipe Gatherer POSITION FILLED
Old 03-31-2014, 11:11 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Carriemc
Stats: 294.5/280.0/190
Start Date: 3/31/2014
User name: Carriemc

Realistic weight loss goal for month of April: 14 pounds

Additional “personal goal” (share one only): Drink 8 glasses of water a day

Volunteer position (optional): Whatever you need help with
Carriemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

I would like to be an Encourager for the group if that is okay?

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Hey everyone!

Tomorrow is the big day and start of the big month! May 1st will be here in no time! Remember you weigh on April 10, 15 and 25 only. It is so important that you try and do that, if possible. There is deep meaning behind this and you are going to get something at the end of this challenge by weighing on those three days only. Guaranteed!

Make sure you have plenty of food and are ready!

Here is what we have so far:
GoBahnsen - Greeter
TowerOrchard - Recipe Gatherer
Reddress - Humor, color commentary, support
CarrieMC - Encourager
kauaimom - Leader

If you are reading this and you have not joined yet, hop on! We would love to have you!

Please try to check in every day and report how you are doing. And remember to report your carb count (net carbs or total carbs...just make sure you put down which)

Share what you are eating once in a while and for sure share recipes. TowerOrchard will be gathering all of them up for us so we can find them easy in the future.

Onward we go "wasting away to something!"
Old 04-01-2014, 02:38 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Weighed in this morning to kick this month off - I am now at 195.8. I'm setting my goal weight at 188, which would mean a 7.8# loss for the month. The first couple of months I did this, that would be easy but things have slowed down for me the past 3-4 weeks.

Looking forward to this, everybody!
Old 04-01-2014, 04:35 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Happy Tuesday Everyone,

Very excited to be a part of this group and have friends to help me through this journey.

Raise your glasses (water glasses that is) and Cheers to a Great Low-Carbing Day
Old 04-01-2014, 05:46 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Good morning!
I too am looking forward to this month. Eating low carb is tasty and filling. I am anxious to learn more and give and get support.

Will everyone be OK not weighing till April 10th? If not, that is OK...but if you can, it would be great.

I eat the same thing almost every morning. I love it! I call it my "Four hour omelet." I just want to make sure I am understand the carb count right.

I am giving it two net carbs.

3 eggs (two of which are egg whites) One carb
small amount of cheddar cheese, bacon, 1/c c. almond milk One carb

I make it in an omelet pan. It fluffs up and makes a large omelet. I am eating it right now!

Do you guys tend to eat the same thing for breakfast?
Old 04-01-2014, 06:08 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

That omlette sounds delicious. Definitely going to give it a try.

I am new at this so still learning all the "ins" and "outs". I have a smoothie every morning with strawberries, bananas, fage yogurt, vanilla whey protein powder, a little milke and ice. I am doing similar to a glycemic load index diet. Still learning on this.

Also, we tried Tilapia last night. This is a big thing for me because I am a huge fried fish fan. Not so much into grilled or baked. Was delicious. Got frozen Tilapia from Sam's Club. Love that you cook it from a frozen state and they are individually packaged. Makes for an easy and quick low-carb dinner.

Have a great day!! Off to drink more water. UGH!!

Anyone have suggestions on what I can add to my water to make it easier to drink?

Last edited by Carriemc; 04-01-2014 at 06:10 AM..
Old 04-01-2014, 06:55 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I eat the same thing for breakfast every morning - nothing!!!

Actually, that's not strictly true. I have 2-3 cups of coffee with HWC (heavy whipping cream). No carbs, and lots of good fat. Keeps me full until lunch time, and according to some thinking, this is a form of IF (intermittent fasting). Theoretically, it keeps your body in fat burning mode for a few extra hours per day.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Good morning ladies!!! I'm so excited to see that so many people joined!!

Weigh-in this morning: 207lbs. I didn't specify my weight loss goal because I was unsure if it was realistic. Well, it still may not be, but I'm setting it anyway! LOL! I would like to get under 200 by the end of April, so 8 lbs. Now, I know this may not happen. I lost on my first two weeks, then spent almost 2 weeks going up and down between 208-210, then for the last 4 days or so I have held 207. I have no idea what my rate of loss is, so I guess we will see what I can do. (How's that for an explanation? LOL)

Breakfast is a break from my norm this morning as I need some groceries. (I usually have eggs with spinach, mushrooms, and cheese)

B: Devilled eggs - 3 eggs = 1.8 carbs, 2 tbls mayo, paprika and salt, and I *think* I am going to try and make a low carb smoothie to go with it. Oh, and I'll also have tea with HWC, so 0.4 carbs.

Last edited by Reddress; 04-01-2014 at 07:25 AM..
Old 04-01-2014, 07:28 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Wow!
I learned something new already. I may try the coffee with HWC for breakfast, then have my omelet for lunch. I had read where people were having the BPC (Bullet Proof Coffee) for breakfast.

I am going to start a list of all these abbreviations and put them in a word document and add to it all month. Then when it is done, I will copy and paste the word document on here so people can save it on their computers if they want.

Here is a saying I read the other day on this site...

"When you think about quitting, think about why you started."

Does anyone want to start making a list of sayings this month and putting them in a word document and then posting them on here at the end of the month? I would love to have the list and delete those that aren't my favorites, but keep a list of the ones that really hit me hard. I want to post them around my home.

Remember to post your carb counts tonight.

Carriemc....I am wondering about your carb count for your smoothie.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Carriemc, if your goal is low carb, I'd suggest dropping the banana & using extra berries in your smoothie (or even better - sub spinach! Can't taste it at all in a smoothie - it's how I get my kids to eat it!). Bananas are just about the most carby fruit.

If you are just focusing on calories, though - it's not that big of a deal.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:51 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

kauaimom, I hope I have these numbers right. We are making 2 smoothies (1 for me and 1 for hubby) The banana is high in carb but it is allowed on the Glycemic Load Diet I am doing so you can leave it out.

Banana 20.4
3 Strawberries - 3.06
1 tblsp Fage Greek Yogurt - 1.6
2% Milk - I am allergic to other milk but hear almond milk is great in this - 4.41
Whey Vanilla Protein Powder - 1.5 carbs (1/2 scoop)
Splash of vanilla - .8

I am really starting to like it. Also fills me up for about a good 4 hours.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:53 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

TowerOrchard. Thanks. I will definitely focus on more berries!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Kauaimom - I could be wrong, but I think your eggs may be more than one carb total. From what I understand, they are .6 each, and .3 for each of the yolk or white. So if you have one total egg, and 2 egg whites, then that would be 1.2 carbs. Not much of a difference, but the little pieces do add up!! Also, is there a reason you don't eat the yolks? I started out eating my eggs exactly like you, lol, then after reading so much on here I added my yolks back in.

TowerOrchard - A comment to you on your HWC. Again, from what I understand it is actually .4 carbs per serving (even though the box may say 0) So your two to three cups of coffee may actually be equal to a carb or slightly more in total.

And I was wondering about the bananas too!! LOL
Old 04-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

And the funny of the day!

Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

You are correct, Reddress - there are a tiny amount of carbs in the cream. It is tracked on my food tracker (the most popular one we aren't allowed to talk about on here).

The fact is, there is always going to be some margin of error in tracking . I know some people get really focused on staying below a particular number of carbs per day, but that is not me. If I'm off by 5-7 carbs, I am still well within the zone where I feel good & continue to lose.

ETA: I feel the same about eggs. Are there a tiny amount of carbs in eggs? Sure, but it's still a great, healthy, extremely low carb choice. If I counted everything down to fractions of single carbs, I'd obsess and then eventually burn out. My philosophy is make good choices, reassess if there is an ongoing problem, and enjoy the journey!!

(I do get that not everyone feels this way - some folks feel more in control of the process if they analyze every detail. So I am certainly not saying my way is better - it's just better for me!!)

Last edited by TowerOrchard; 04-01-2014 at 08:56 AM..
Old 04-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerOrchard View Post
You are correct, Reddress - there are a tiny amount of carbs in the cream. It is tracked on my food tracker (the most popular one we aren't allowed to talk about on here).

The fact is, there is always going to be some margin of error in tracking . I know some people get really focused on staying below a particular number of carbs per day, but that is not me. If I'm off by 5-7 carbs, I am still well within the zone where I feel good & continue to lose.
I am starting to get there, lol. I spent my first 4 weeks religiously tracking everything. I lost 13lbs in the first 2 weeks, then practically stopped. I was afraid to change and to not be super careful. The past few days, I'm loosening up a bit. So far hasn't affected my weight and I'm happier because I'm enjoying some different foods and not feeling so restricted.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Okay, so now I have a question...how many carbs is everyone trying to stay under daily?