Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Reddress
Stats: Start: 221 Goal: 175 Current:202
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriemc View Post
Okay, so now I have a question...how many carbs is everyone trying to stay under daily?
I am trying to stay under 20.
Reddress is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TowerOrchard
Stats: 222/182/155
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: January 7, 2014
I try to stay under 50 total carbs. I haven't calculated net carbs before, but I added that to my tracker so I can see where I'm at on that measure.

Since I know what I am eating today, here's my menu and carb count for the day.
B = coffee w/ HWC
L = chicken salad melt over spinach
D = taco salad (some romaine lettuce, grass-fed ground beef with seasonings, topped with salsa & guacamole)

The chicken salad has some leftover rotisserie chicken, mayo, a green onion, 3 strips of green pepper and some lemon juice. I stir it all together, spoon it over about a cup of raw spinach, top it with provolone cheese & stick under the broiler until the cheese gets brown & bubbly. YUM!!!

Total carbs for the day: 31 Net carbs for the day: 23
TowerOrchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BeachBod
I accept

User name: BeachBod

Realistic weight loss goal for month of April: 12

Additional “personal goal” (share one only): 8 glasses of water a day

Volunteer position (optional): Newbie. I need all the help I can get folks.
BeachBod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:56 AM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BeachBod
Trying to stay under 20. I have a Atkins shake for breakfast and I love the new Oscar Meyer P3 snak packs. I add olives and half tsp of hot mustard and it's a pretty tasty lunch.
BeachBod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CBOZ
Stats: 275/228/185
WOE: Doing it my "own" way. :-)
Start Date: 3/2014
User name: CBoz

Realistic weight loss goal for month of April: 10-15

Additional “personal goal” (share one only): Excercise at least 3 times per week.

Volunteer position (optional): Stats person (1 person): Keep track of everyone’s stats on days 10, 15, and 25. Post totals for this challenge.
CBOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Breakfast -

3 Mcdonald's sausage patties - 3 carbs
2 Mcdonald's Mcdoubles without the bread - 4 carbs
Not sure about dinner yet.

I am in induction on Atkins so I am attempting to stay way below 20 carbs per day if possible.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kauaimom
Positions filled update:
GoBahnsen - Greeter
TowerOrchard - Recipe Gatherer
Reddress - Humor, color commentary, support
CarrieMC - Encourager
kauaimom - Leader
CBOZ - Stats person

Anyone lurking and wanting to join????....We would love to have you. And the volunteer positions are definitely optional. It is just a way to keep us all committed.

OK...what a day. I am doing well on Day one. I will post total carbs later. There were so many great posts...I had to take notes!!! I am going to start using abbreviations for your names. Hope that is OK. You can call me kam (or whatever you want).

TowerOrchard (tor): You WILL BE READY for the big event on May 2nd! And we will be there for you to congratulate you on making your goal! That chicken salad over spinach looks scrumptious. I am having it for supper tonight! I can't remember if you gave a carb count for it.

Carriemc (cac): How did you do with your eight glasses of water today? On target to make it? I add Crystal Light to my bottled water. I add just a tiny bit and keep adding until it is just sweet enough. I also have a special water bottle I bought where you add fresh fruit to the bottom and it mixes up as you shake it. Have you heard of those? The fruit is contained in a mesh thingie in the bottom. I can find the name if you want. Say, was that recipe for the smoothie for one or two people for carb counts?

Reddress (red): I will be cheering for you to be under 200 by the end of April. I googled egg whites and I still get .02????? Where did you find the .03? I did the Dukan Diet for a while and it suggested egg whites. I remember one time googling them to find out more and I was surprised to see how good for you they were. Great humor for the day! Perfect! I smiled and smiled at the picture. Can you also be in charge of saving them? Can you put them in a word document and then post them all together for us on May 1st?

Welcome BeachBod (bod)! When you talked about Oscar Meyer P3 snack packs. What are they? What does the P3 stand for? I might want to try them.

Welcome CBOZ (boz)! Thanks for taking the Stats position! I am SOOOOO excited about April 10th! And remember on May 1st we will all get something if we follow this schedule of weighing (and lose weight).

Onward!
kauaimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
TowerOrchard (tor): You WILL BE READY for the big event on May 2nd! And we will be there for you to congratulate you on making your goal! That chicken salad over spinach looks scrumptious. I am having it for supper tonight! I can't remember if you gave a carb count for it.
Total carbs 7; net carbs 5
Old 04-01-2014, 03:25 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Carriemc
Stats: 294.5/280.0/190
Start Date: 3/31/2014
Kam, sorry the banana number for the smoothie was doubled to include DH. Total for the whole smoothie was about 20. I am going to try the crystal light. Just to add a little flavor. Also, if it is not too much trouble, I would love the name of the water bottle you have.

Doing the glycemic load diet allows me to have between 45-65 carbs/day. I am doing this due to having Type 2 Diabetes and trying to get blood sugar under control. Total carbs for today is 48.

Welcome Boz and Bod. Glad to have you join us.

I did get my 8 glasses of water in but my eyeballs where floating. Think I can count all the times I went to the bathroom as some kind of leg exercise? LOL!

I have a great recipe for roasted chicken that we tried on Sunday night. I will post tomorrow with the carb count. Super easy and tons of left overs to throw into a salad or just snack on by itself.

Hope everyone has a wonderful evening!!

Last edited by Carriemc; 04-01-2014 at 03:26 PM..
Carriemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Carb count: 21
Now I need to stop eating for the night. I tend to "graze" after supper.

I want to weigh tomorrow morning, but I will not! I will wait till April 10th.

Scientific theory for the specific days:

After 10 days, we should have a substantial loss. Then we will weigh in five more days (Day 15) and hopefully we will have maintained that loss. Then we will weigh 10 days later (April 25) and hopefully another good loss. Then again five more days to maintain that till the end of the month.

Not bad, eh? Obviously nothing scientific about it, but it kind of makes a little sense.

And actually there is another part to the April 10, 15 and 25 that I am pretty sure you are going to enjoy. You will GET something if you weigh on those days and have a weight loss for the month.

Onward to Day Two.

(cac: the name of the water bottle is "Aqua Zinger." It is SO cool. Google it and you can see how it works and see a picture of it)
Old 04-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Okay, just finishing work!

Breakfast : 2.1 carbs

Snack: strawberry smoothie (berries, cream cheese, Greek yogurt, cream, water) 5.1 carbs

Lunch: "buffalo balls" (chicken meatballs with franks red hot buffalo and some
Blue cheese dressing) field greens, homemade dill dressing 3.3 carbs

Supper: pork chop, cucumber, meatballs with cheese, almonds (at work so not ideal meal - pork chop was the only supplied food I could eat lol) 3.2 carbs

Total for day: 13.7 carbs
Old 04-02-2014, 04:46 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Good morning Low Carb Friends,

Glad it is "Hump Day"!!

Reddress, I would love to know how you make your dill dressing. I love dill.

I am reallly glad that I can come to this group throughout the day. Helps alot knowing that I have low carb buddies out there who understand what I am going through with this lifestyle change.

Hope all have a wonderful low-carb day!! Off to drink water!!!
Old 04-02-2014, 04:57 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Roast Chicken Recipe

Here is the recipe from the Roasted Chicken. I saw it on Dinner with Tiffani on the Cooking Channel. You can substitute any herb for the rosemary. We used Thyme. I couldn't find fennel at the grocery store I was at so used white onions. Didn't eat them cooked just used for flavoring. Also just used lemon pepper instead of lemons. We did 2 chickens because they were on sale and had tons of leftovers for this week.

ingredients
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 bulbs fennel, chopped into 1-inch pieces
Sea salt
2 chickens (about 3 pounds each)
3 lemons, quartered
14 to 16 sprigs fresh rosemary

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Spread 1 tablespoon of the oil in the bottom of a roasting pan. Spread the fennel in a single layer and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil.

Salt the body cavities of the chickens and stuff 6 lemon quarters into each. Gently separate the skin from the flesh with your fingers and insert 7 or 8 rosemary sprigs under the skin of each bird. Slide the sprigs in lengthwise and distribute them evenly all around the breasts and thighs. Rub 1 tablespoon of oil on the skin of each chicken. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Salt the skin of the chickens just before placing them breast-sides up in the roasting pan on top of the fennel. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh (but not touching a bone) registers 165 degrees F, about 1 hour.

Transfer the chickens to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Carve into thin slices and serve with the fennel.

Still learning how to do carb count so may be way off on this:

Onion - 6 net carbs for 1/2 cup diced.
Thyme has 1 carb per Tbsp.
Lemon Pepper - 0
Olive Oil - 0
Chicken - 0
Old 04-02-2014, 06:19 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Good morning Tor, Cac, Red, Bod, and Boz (and any lurkers). I am for sure a lurker also. I decided to do this challenge to meet some new people, learn, and be of a support... plus I LOVE organizing things!

I did not weigh this morning! It was tempting, but I am keeping my eyes set on April 10th.

Hoping for a great day for all of us. LC eating has become a way of life for me. I default to it every day. And yet, I have so much to learn. I am looking forward to May 1st for several reason. I hope to be smiling and smaller. I also think we will have recipes, sayings, jokes, pictures, etc. that we can access easily as we remember one of the best weight loss months of our lives!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:21 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Cac...thanks for the chicken recipe. I for sure want to try it. I never know what to do with spices. Do you freeze it sometimes?
Old 04-02-2014, 06:48 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GoBahnsen
Stats: Have lost 42 lbs since Nov.19, 2013
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 188 as of March 5, 2014 6'2"
sorry everyone. The greeter has fallen down on the job. Welcome to all the newbies! Hope yer all enjoying your stay. You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave
GoBahnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:17 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Good morning Kam,

I have never frozen spices. Made me curious though since I will be cooking a lot more with this new lifestyle. We are planting some fresh herbs later this spring. I have heard, at least with basil, you can chop it up mix it with a little olive oil and place it in ice cube trays. Once frozen, transfer to a baggy. When ready to use, just take one of the cube and drop it in. I also google regarding dried spices and found an article on food network's site. They last longer than I thought. Here's what they said.

Oregano flakes looking a bit ashy? Bought that cayenne for the chili you served at your housewarming party—two apartments ago? It may be time to do a little restocking.

+

As herbs and spices age, their flavorful oils evaporate, rendering them dull and dusty. Though professional chefs will swear you need to replace seasonings every eight months (nice if you have the budget), the rest of us can get away with the following timetable:

Ground Spices: 2 years

Whole Spices (such as nutmeg and cinnamon): 3 years

Dried Herbs: 2 years

Seasoning Blends: 2 years

Pure Vanilla Extract: forever (just keep the lid on tight!)

And keep the following tips in mind:

Think small: Old herbs and spices are bland herbs and spices. So step away from that warehouse store quart container of oregano. It may last you through your infant daughter's high-school graduation brunch, but the results will be uninspiring. For rich, flavorful dishes, buy spices in small containers that you'll have to replace often enough to keep them fresh.

Keep 'em covered: Sunlight, heat and moisture are the other enemies of dried herbs and spices, diminishing their flavor and color. To keep yours in peak condition, stow them in a dark, dry cabinet —not in an open shelf above the stove or near a window. (Paprika and chili powder can go in the fridge.)

Opt for whole over ground: Grated or ground just before cooking, whole nutmeg, coriander and cinnamon can be more potent and aromatic than anything you'll find in a jar. Plus, they last longer.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:28 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

This group is AWESOME! I love everyone's sense of humor and the information we are providing is a great help to me. The chicken recipe is definitely one I will be trying.

I didn't finish my carb count last night so here it goes:

B - 3 sausage patties - 3 carbs
L - 2 Mcdoubles minus the bread - 4
D - 2 pork chops pan fried with butter - .01 from the butter

Total = 7.01

I must admit however that I did have a few werther's sugar free candies through out the day. The sugar alchohols have not hurt me so far. FINGERS CROSSED!!!!

Last edited by CBOZ; 04-02-2014 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: Silly me - User stupidity. lol
Old 04-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Kac...Love your post about spices...but too funny, I was asking if you ever froze the chicken! But again, it was fun to learn about maybe freezing spices. I love to garden and have planted basil and cilantro. May try some others.

GoBahnsen (Gob)...Was wondering where you were. But then I realized you maybe were teasing about being the official greeter as you signed up before any volunteer positions were even explained! Just for this thread, I am abbreviating everyone's name so I can type directly to them and do not need to spell it out. I really like..."Gob" Hope that is OK with you. Glad you are here!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:43 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Kam LOL! Brain fart on my side. Didn't freeze the chicken. Sure you could though.

CBOZ - I love McDoubles. Going to have to try them without the buns!!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:19 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Good morning everyone!!

Some food for thought this morning... (See what I did there? Ha!)

This is something I need to remember almost daily. It's not about what I've given up, or what foods I miss, or how to make LC fit into my old habits. It's about creating new habits, a new, healthier me, and finding things I love about this LC life.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Carrie - my dill dressing is super easy. I just use mayo (about 1/3 to 1/2 cup, I don't measure exactly, lol) about 1 tbls of vinegar (or more if you like a more tangy taste) and a generous tbls of fresh dill weed. (I have the kind that is in a jar, but you keep in the fridge) Let it sit overnight, or at least a few hours so that the dill flavour settles in the mayo. I love it on greens with tomato and avocado. You could probably add some sweetener too if you wanted, but I find it good without.

CBOZ - I forget, what WOE are you following again? You seem to have a lot of meat and not much for veggies.

Well breakfast is done, and I desperately need to go shopping! I am missing so many of my "essentials"!

B: three eggs scrambled with 1 tbls salsa, red peppers, and nacho cheese I am out of cream, so I "cheated" and had one of my tassimo lattes (unsweetened) at 3 carbs. total for breakfast: 6.9 carbs

Last edited by Reddress; 04-02-2014 at 08:32 AM..
Old 04-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Red...You are taking your job serious! Wow. I love the saying! And I love how you expounded on it.

I really want these saved. As we look back at POSSIBLY one of the best weight loss months of our lives...I want to remember special things without having to dig through all the posts.

Can you save these in like a word document? And then repost them all together on May 1st? I know it was not part of your volunteer job description...but I just want to make sure these are saved. No biggie if you can't. Just let me know if it is something you can do.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaimom View Post
Red...You are taking your job serious! Wow. I love the saying! And I love how you expounded on it.

I really want these saved. As we look back at POSSIBLY one of the best weight loss months of our lives...I want to remember special things without having to dig through all the posts.

Can you save these in like a word document? And then repost them all together on May 1st? I know it was not part of your volunteer job description...but I just want to make sure these are saved. No biggie if you can't. Just let me know if it is something you can do.

LOL, it's not like my job is that much work. I have a thing for saving quotes and jokes that speak to me, so all I have to is upload them. As for saving them to repost? For sure I can, no problem!!!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Red. I am DEFINITELY making your dill dressing. Can't wait to try it!!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Kind of off topic, but I wish I could target my weight loss. I've lost 14lbs, and I can see the difference in how my clothes fit. The thing is, I've slimmed from my shoulders to just under my bra (including deflating boobs) and I have lost off my upper thighs. Yet not an inch off my midsection which is my biggest part! I'm happy I'm losing, but not happy that I am currently disproportionate and look more like I am carrying that "spare tire" than ever! Ugh.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

That dill dressing sounds DIVINE!! Adding it the recipe list for this thread - and adding dill to my shopping list!

ETA: My goal for this month was to develop better strategies for eating when I am in social situations where I cannot control the food. I will have LOTS of practice with that this month - I have more work events, parties, weddings, etc. to attend this month than I can ever remember having. And we just got invited for dinner at my DH's boss' house yesterday.

Do any of you have any good strategies for dealing with situations like this? How do you all stay on plan when you can't control the food choices?

Last edited by TowerOrchard; 04-02-2014 at 12:03 PM..
Old 04-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

I have a similar issue. I work in group homes where I am expected to eat whatever is on the menu for that night. I pick what I can eat from the foods offered (ie: last night I ate the pork chop, but not the noodles or carrots provided). Other than that, I pack snacks in a little insulated bag. Turkey pepperettes, cheese strings, almonds. That may work for some of your events.

Would some of them be at restaurants? I usually do a salad and plain wings and know I will be on track.

Things like the bosses house? Honestly, I would plan on *possibly* going off plan that day. You may be able to serve yourself larger servings of salad and veggies and enjoy the meat, no problem. Or it may be something like a lasagna, where you can't help the carbs. In that case, load up on salad, small lasagna, say no to garlic bread kind of thing. I just wouldn't be too picky at a bosses dinner, but that is me.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Red...I am doing Atkins induction. I am sticking to mainly meats this week and next and then will be adding more veggies. Note....this is going to be quite tough for me as the only veggies I like are lettuce, grean beans and cauliflower. :-( At least I can have salads with cheese and bacon bits....even a few sunflower kernels to boot.

Anyone else share my problem with not enjoying veggies? For the life of me, I can't force myself to eat them. I did however, force myself to drink a few diet soda's....so....perhaps I can add veggies after I get used to the HORRIBLE after taste of these diet sodas.

Carry on.....
Old 04-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

CBOZ - I am the same way you are about vegetables. That is why I like this WOE so much cause I can eat more meat, etc. and not have to do all the veggie stuff. Plus, cheese always makes veggies taste better. So glad cheese is allowed also. Have a great evening!!