Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 05:04 AM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jblanken
Stats: 248/184.7/120 5'6.5"
WOE: Atkins,LC,IF
Start Date: 2006-LC,restart 7/2014
Good morning all, hope your all losing today!

I've been visiting my Dad in MN since 5-1, which has been fun but sadly the facility does not share WiFi. I have been good, no extra carbs or other slip ups. It's relaxing here. Just woke up to some noisy wild turkeys, loved it!

Just reading a 5-4-14 article from Dr Mercola on riding our bodies of toxins. Seems we are on the right track with losing weight. Accorded to him, there are so many toxins stored in fat that it gives me new determination to get excess weight off!

I like traveling but like going home too, miss dh

A'72 believer

Julie

Last edited by jblanken; 05-04-2014 at 05:17 AM..
jblanken is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #242
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Julie, when are you heading home? I love to see flocks of wild turkeys especially when they have alot of little ones with them.
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
Did not do good in Orlando - oh, well!
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Cheryl, tomorrow is a new day and a fresh start! Did you and DD find an apartment for her?
Old 05-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
Julie, when are you heading home? I love to see flocks of wild turkeys especially when they have alot of little ones with them.
Hi Abigale, I'll be home late Monday....when I heard the turkeys it was just getting on daylight. I looked but couldn't see them :--) I'd love to see the babies.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:19 AM   #246
Major LCF Poster!

Julie, have a safe trip home!

I saw this link on another thread yesterday. It is very interesting.
The Questionable Link Between Saturated Fat and Heart Disease - WSJ.com

This is information that is nothing new to those of us who read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes.

Sausage, tuna and mayo, pork skins and black coffee today.

March 27 start: -1, -.6, -.2, -.8 -.8, 0, -.6, -.6, +.2, 0, +.2, 0, -.2, 0, +.4, -.2, +.2, -1.2, +1, -.2, -.8
(total lost so far 5.8 lbs.)
-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2, 0, -.4, ..., ..., ..., +2.6, -.4, +1, 0, +.6, 0, -.8

Have a great day gang!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:25 AM   #247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

I am on plan today!\

B - Bacon and eggs
L - Chicken breast
D - Bacon and eggs

Lots of water with some lemon! I will weigh Wednesday so I will hopefully get rid of my cheat this weekend!

Abigale - I can not believe how beautiful the apartment places we went to! The one Ashley liked best was 5 min from campus, free shuttle every 15 min to and from UCF. Her room was huge, with her own full bathroom, kitchen had dishwasher, micro, etc. Other amenities - nice pool, tanning salon, movie theater, volleyball, basketball, their own gym, etc - for $549. and it includes all- water, electric, HBO, trash, pest control. She has to share it with 3 other girls - nothing like I remember!!

Cheryl
Old 05-05-2014, 06:30 AM   #248
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: justme_sara
Stats: 210/186/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2014
Morning all --

was NOT a good weekend for me Every time it seems I'm doing well with losing I get sick!! I started feeling ill friday after work (sinus & sore throat) and it just got worse from there. I was able to resist all the carby snack/comforts I'm used to. I'm still sitting @ 193 though I attribute this to taking medicine & my gargle/throat drink (I DO NOT like to be in pain and definately don't like to just "tough it out") So it's been theraflu, ibuprofen, and a honey/lemon juice/cayenne gargle throughout the day. Also, didn't drink much water over the weekend either. I am feeling a bit better today (can swallow without tears) so hoping to get in some of that much needed water.

Meek - WELCOME!

Cheryl - hop back on board! I had two weekends in a row that I just said "forget it!" and I'm paying for it, gained 6lbs last weekend and can't get it back off.. This WOE is such a guessing game until ya find what works for you. YOU CAN DO IT!!

Abigale- I've made a version of the "cowboy burger" - Cheese stuffed inside the meat patty & then it's wrapped in bacon (just the outside, like a ring) and it's DELICIOUS! You can also play around with different butters, form your meat around the flavored butter & then press out into a patty.. If you like spice, add in some chopped jalapeno & cream cheese, kinda like a "jalapeno popper burger" and it's yummy =)

Jblanken- So glad you got some good relaxing family time in. I've never actually seen or heard wild turkeys.. I've seen them @ a zoo, but never just roaming. That would be so cool!

Made some fried pork chops last night with pork rinds as the "breading" and they were delicous! DH didn't even realize that it wasn't breadcrumbs!! Seasoned the chops, dipped in egg, then in seasoned crushed pork rinds (seasoned with parsley, parmesan cheese, cajun seasoning) and pan fried till golden. Was actually better than "shake N bake" that we used to have!

Hope everyone's scale cooperates today!
justme_sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:28 AM   #249
Major LCF Poster!

Cheryl, that apartment sounded lovely! What a reasonable price too! Does she know what she wants to major in yet? Our oldest grandaughter just finished her freshman year and has decided on elementary education.

Sara, I love all the hamburger ideas! I have never thought of putting flavored butter in the middle of one.

Chicken salad, pork skins and black coffee today. I am so hoping to be back in ketosis by Thursday.

March 27 start: -1, -.6, -.2, -.8 -.8, 0, -.6, -.6, +.2, 0, +.2, 0, -.2, 0, +.4, -.2, +.2, -1.2, +1, -.2, -.8
-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2, 0, -.4, ..., ..., ..., +2.6, -.4, +1, 0, +.6, 0, -.8. -.8

Have a great day gang!
Old 05-06-2014, 03:10 AM   #250
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ugh! up 2 lbs - going the wrong way..............
Old 05-06-2014, 04:49 AM   #251
Senior LCF Member

Good Tuesday morning on this bright and sunny May day...

Down 2.7 - - YAHOO....keeping steady!! definitely drank my water yesterday too - think this helped!

I was comparing notes with my sister and her husband on cholesterol.
I was just reading this on the eating academy website.
According to this article and others, the medical community really
doesn't know how to treat high cholesterol or for that matter what
our levels should be... I recently was tested and wasn't shocked
to see that my cholesterol has risen a bit. My HDL was higher too
so this is supposed to be good. I had read on Atkin, Perlmutter and
Attia that is typical of a lowcarb diet and that the levels either are
fine and/or will even out.

Abigale - thanks! I will check out that article! Great minds think alike!!
Cheryl - keep on plan & drink your water, you'll see a loss soon!
Sara - thanks! We have turkeys here at work that are roaming around, my DH loves to take pictures of birds of all kinds! I like to take pics of scenery, flowers and architecture.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:51 AM   #252
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
Chicken salad, pork skins and black coffee today. I am so hoping to be back in ketosis by Thursday.
Sounds yummy - is the chicken salad with chicken & mayo? Are the pork skins the same as the pork rinds you can buy at the grocery? I wasn't having any luck with those...hmmm may try them again...
Old 05-06-2014, 04:53 AM   #253
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme_sara View Post
Made some fried pork chops last night with pork rinds as the "breading" and they were delicious! DH didn't even realize that it wasn't breadcrumbs!! Seasoned the chops, dipped in egg, then in seasoned crushed pork rinds (seasoned with parsley, parmesan cheese, cajun seasoning) and pan fried till golden. Was actually better than "shake N bake" that we used to have!
Sara - Yum ! ! I read this last night and asked DH if he would try this....he said yes. We have these in the freezer already to go. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2014, 02:24 AM   #254
Major LCF Poster!

Good going Julie on the loss! Yes, that information about cholesterol is so true. They don't really know how to translate that information. The scary thing to me is the government pushing the low fat diet for so many years may have affected people's brains. Our brains need good fats to be healthy. I will talk more about this when I get more time.

Julie, my chicken salad was just chicken and mayo and the pork skins are the same as pork rinds. They are a little salty but they keep me from getting into carby stuff.

Cheryl, I agree with Julie, if you can manage to drink more water that weight will drop off.

Sausage bites, pork skins and black coffee today.

Have a great day everyone!

-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2, 0, -.4, ..., ..., ..., +2.6, -.4, +1, 0, +.6, 0, -.8. -.8, -.8
Old 05-07-2014, 03:17 AM   #255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning, girls!

Ok - I am down the 2 from the weekend - I have a goal is lose like 12 lbs in about 4 1/2 weeks when I go home to New York. I was there last November and with the holidays, I am up 7 since then, So, I have to lose!! My clothes will fit much better - then 20 more for goal weight!!

So - let's rock!

BBL
Old 05-07-2014, 06:19 AM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Good morning ladies - congrats on your losses...
up a pound, and of course I blame the 1/2C of SF pudding I had last night. I did enjoy a brisk walk on the boardwalk yesterday and I did drink my water. Will see if, taking out any treats works today...

on the low fat diet....I told my cardiologist, that this diet didn't work for my parents so why should I follow it? He had absolutely no argument for me...
I think the doctors would recommend the low carb diet but its not the norm, so they are worried about a lawsuit... Its really a sad thing.

We can thank/blame this guy for the low fat diet..."Our distrust of saturated fat can be traced back to the 1950s, to a man named Ancel Benjamin Keys, a scientist at the University of Minnesota. Dr. Keys was formidably persuasive and, through sheer force of will, rose to the top of the nutrition world—even gracing the cover of Time magazine—for relentlessly championing the idea that saturated fats raise cholesterol and, as a result, cause heart attacks." By NINA TEICHOLZ
Old 05-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Afternoon all -

So, I finally took off work & went to the DR. yesterday. I have a sinus & throat infection, but was negative for Strep thank goodness!! After a steroid shot, antibiotic shot & home with antibiotics I'm feeling MUCH better today. Not 100% but getting there. I did some research into the nutritional content of the OTC medicines I was taking to treat my symptoms & found CRAZY amounts of sugars & carbs, no wonder I wasn't losing!! Pushing water & greens (even though this is a just meat board, I enjoy your company & comments..) to help flush it all out of my system as quickly as possible. Hoping to be back in ketosis by friday.

Julie & J: Congrats on the losses! Push that water, I know that is a KEY factor for me.

Hope everyone sees losses today!!
Old 05-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Julie, Ancel Keys did alot of harm to our concepts of good health and Senator George McGovern did more harm by helping to establish the dangerous Food Pyramid.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:29 AM   #259
Major LCF Poster!

Hey gang!

Here is a quote from Dr. Mercola from a blog post titled "7 Reasons to Eat More Saturated Fat"

"A misguided fallacy that persists to this day is the belief that saturated fat will increase your risk of heart disease and heart attacks. This is simply another myth that has been harming your health for the last 30 or 40 years.

The truth is, saturated fats from animal and vegetable sources provide a concentrated source of energy in your diet, and they provide the building blocks for cell membranes and a variety of hormones and hormone-like substances.

When you eat saturated fats as part of your meal, they slow down absorption so that you can go longer without feeling hungry. In addition, they act as carriers for important fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. Dietary fats are also needed for the conversion of carotene to vitamin A, for mineral absorption, and for a host of other biological processes."

and another quote from the same article -"Your brain is mainly made of fat and cholesterol. The lion’s share of the fatty acids in the brain are actually saturated. A diet that skimps on healthy saturated fats robs your brain of the raw materials it needs to function optimally."

Sausage bites, tuna and mayo, pork skins and black coffee today.

Have a great day!

-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2, 0, -.4, ..., ..., ..., +2.6, -.4, +1, 0, +.6, 0, -.8. -.8, -.8, -.2
Old 05-08-2014, 06:07 AM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Good morning to all - lets lose this weight!!

Thanks Abigale - - this is an eye opener on the brain, no wonder people are getting alzheimers more...? Is the low fat diet starving the brain of its needed nutrient?

and another quote from the same article -"Your brain is mainly made of fat and cholesterol. The lion’s share of the fatty acids in the brain are actually saturated. A diet that skimps on healthy saturated fats robs your brain of the raw materials it needs to function optimally."

I've been thinking of putting more coconut oil in my diet...
I am in deep ketosis--very dark last night. Just where I want to be.
Also want to try a day with coconut oil during the day and a
steak n eggs for dinner cooked in butter.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #261
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning, all!

I did excellent yesterday, will jump on scale tomorrow am. I am feeling very motivated. Spin class tonight and lots of water today.

Julie - You are doing super!! and you are giving me inspiration that I need so badly!

Abigale - thanks for the info. Very interesting. I have been eating lots eggs, ground beef, steak, chicken and my blood sugar has never been so normal (I am diabetic) so there is something to be said for saturated fat.

Sara - feel better!! My oldest DD has been home all week with a horrible sore throat - finally went to dr. yesterday for antibiotics.

BBL -
Old 05-08-2014, 06:24 AM   #262
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme_sara View Post
Afternoon all -

So, I finally took off work & went to the DR. yesterday. I have a sinus & throat infection, but was negative for Strep thank goodness!! !
Sara - hope you feel better! Get some rest!!
Old 05-08-2014, 07:00 AM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Morning all --

Thank you for all the well wishes, feeling better today as well.

Julie - GREAT JOB! keep it up keep it up

Abigale & J - When reading/researching into our body chemistry, it really is no wonder that the disease rate has almost tripled in the last 20+ years. We are literally robbing/starving our bodies of the essential fats & minerals it needs to function properly.

Jumped on scale today, down to 192!!!! Not a lot, but just to see a different (lower) number is motivation! Pushing water again today with another big taco salad for lunch, it was super good yesterday.

I haven't jumped on the coconut oil band wagon yet, maybe next pay day I'll get a bottle and try it out. Making Chicken Fried Steak & homemade onion rings tonight for dinner using the pork rind breading. Hoping it turns out as great as the pork chops the other night.

Fingers crossed for great days today!
Old 05-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #264
Major LCF Poster!

Julie, sometimes I have to remind myself why I started back on low carb back in 2008. It was not so much the fact of wanting to lose weight and I have been dieting for many years. I was finally convinced that low carb was the best protection from alzheimers and breast cancer. So that kept me going for several years without falling off the wagon. Then last year I really forgot about the health benefits and really let things slip. So glad I am getting strict again. Thanks everyone for your support!

Cheryl, it is wonderful that your blood sugar is so good! So glad you had a good eating day yesterday! One day at a time!

Sara, yes, it is no wonder our health has deteriorated so drastically.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:09 AM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

Sausage bites, tuna and mayo, pork skins and black coffee today.

Glad it's Friday!

Any big plans for the weekend?

I will check back after work and see how you all are doing!

-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2, 0, -.4, ..., ..., ..., +2.6, -.4, +1, 0, +.6, 0, -.8. -.8, -.8, -.2, +.4
Old 05-09-2014, 05:58 AM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Morning everyone -

Down to 191 today!! will keep up with my heavy water intake & greens. Had a delicious turkey wrap yesterday (just wrapped in green leaf lettuce) I'm a sandwich fanatic, I miss sandwiches & sugar cookies the most out of everything. I wasn't sure that it would really help my craving (wrapping in the lettuce) but it did! I was very very happy

Made "Chicken Fried Steak" and Onion Rings last night using the pork rind breading - steak was fantastic, onion rings were ok. They do much better in a batter instead of breading, so I may have to experiment with that. I also made some oopsie rolls for this weekend, we're having a cook out & I wanted to have something other than a lettuce bun. I made them with Mayo instead of cream cheese this time, they came out great, but a little salty. I added salt & I shouldn't have bc it's already in the mayo but didn't think about that at the time.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to all you mothers out there - Have a great weekend everyone
Old 05-09-2014, 06:23 AM   #267
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The scale didn't move but I will carry on! Four weeks to lose 12 lbs so I need to really get serious - write down food, etc.

Happy Mother's Day all!
Old 05-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #268
Major LCF Poster!

Sara, super loss! I love oopsie rolls and like the idea of using mayo instead of cream cheese. Hope you have a great cookout and wonderful Mother's Day!

Cheryl, I still think you can lose those 12 pounds in four weeks! If all else fails look at Steven Guyanet's level 5 no reward eating plan. It does work but is very hard. I have lost 1/2 pound a day two times doing this but it is extremely difficult to eat afew simple foods with absolutely no seasonings. Whole Health Source: Food Reward: a Dominant Factor in Obesity, Part VII

Have a great night gang!
Old 05-10-2014, 02:40 AM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Saturday gang!

DH brought me home a sub last night. Loaded with meat. I just threw the bun away. It was a nice change.

Some of the family will be getting together for a Mother's Day brunch after Church tomorrow. I am thinking about cooking up a bunch of sausage links. If they don't all get eaten I can just bring them home and eat them for lunches next week.

Will check back later to see how you all are doing!

-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2, 0, -.4, ..., ..., ..., +2.6, -.4, +1, 0, +.6, 0, -.8. -.8, -.8, -.2, +.4, -.2
Old 05-10-2014, 04:27 AM   #270
Senior LCF Member

Down .8 today, spring cleaning today & building a wall bookshelf so busy but glad so I don't think less of food, not that its a problem these days, just glad to get some things done.

Abigale - I had the inside of a sandwich yesterday too. Yummy!
Thanks for the Steven Guyanet's level 5 reference...

Sara - WTHG on your weight loss! KUTGW everyone!!
Cheryl - stay on plan you'll see losses soon!

Last edited by jblanken; 05-10-2014 at 04:29 AM..