Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 01:50 AM   #211
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Well, I decided to weigh today after one day being back on my just meat plan to see what kind of damage I did while visiting Cape Cod over the weekend with my sisters. I was up 2.6 pounds and out of ketosis. ugh My mother used to have a saying "those who dance must pay the fiddler" and boy, I am paying him now. lol

I am not totally upset about it. I have nothing coming up until the end of June that could derail me at the moment and so feel full of optimism I am going to get back losing again, even if it is one ounce a day.

I just cooked up some sausage bites for lunch and will bring black coffee and pork skins for snacks. It sure was great having 3 days off in a row and today will feel like Monday all day.

Have a great day gang!

March 27 start: -1, -.6, -.2, -.8 -.8, 0, -.6, -.6, +.2, 0, +.2, 0, -.2, 0, +.4, -.2, +.2, -1.2, +1, -.2, -.8
(total lost so far 5.8 lbs.)
-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2, 0, -.4, ..., ..., ..., +2.6

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2014, 04:05 AM   #212
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
Yesterday, I was on Atkins a week. I am only down one pound. But to be truthful to myself, I have let myself have wine on weekend. I thought I'd be at least 3 or 4 pounds.

I guess I have to be strictly meat, eggs, cheese and see where that goes.
and drink lots of water!

Kind of disappointed but today is a new day!

Abigale - kind of crazy how easy it is to gain......feeling cranky!
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:09 AM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jblanken
Stats: 248/184.7/120 5'6.5"
WOE: Atkins,LC,IF,EFGT
Start Date: 2006-LC,restart 9/2014
DNW today, just taking a break. Hope everyone stays on plan and sees some losses today or tomorrow!!

Going to MN on Thursday evening. About 5 days DNW and I am nervous. My plan is to stay with just meat with HWC in coffee. But this is the ultimate test, I always screwed up in the past... It's a social thing (my family). I equate it to alcoholics where they drink to be social... At least that was what my alcoholic uncle said to explain it...
In addition my darling niece's 6 year birthday party!! I maybe able to do the same as the Easter dinner, take a small portion but do not eat it... Feel like a little kid that moves its food around then says, Mom I'm done. My 3year old so used to do this...lol

Julie
jblanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:29 AM   #214
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay - not sure about DNW? HWC?
Old 04-29-2014, 06:31 AM   #215
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylg View Post
Okay - not sure about DNW? HWC?
DNW - do not weigh
HWC - heavy whipping cream

Old 04-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #216
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Julie! Have a great trip and do the best you can! Don't let it interfere with family fun!
Old 04-29-2014, 06:48 AM   #217
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks, Julie! Have a great trip and do the best you can! Don't let it interfere with family fun!
Thanks Cheryl - - will try to write to threads here. Visiting my Dad he had to go into a nursing home when he couldn't walk anymore... But I can take him out for a drive or lunch... I have to spend as much time with him as I can now.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:10 AM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: justme_sara
Stats: 210/186/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
Yesterday, I was on Atkins a week. I am only down one pound. But to be truthful to myself, I have let myself have wine on weekend. I thought I'd be at least 3 or 4 pounds.

I guess I have to be strictly meat, eggs, cheese and see where that goes.
and drink lots of water!

Kind of disappointed but today is a new day!

Abigale - kind of crazy how easy it is to gain......feeling cranky!
**Have you been drinking your water? I've found that if I'm not drinking AT LEAST 64-96 ounces of water then I'm not going to lose. On the weeks where I've lost a lb a day I was drinking about a gallon of water. This also helped lower my appetite. I still had my 3 meals, but I wasn't snacking throughout the day like I normally do. I know how incredibly frustrating it can be to not lose like you have in the past, I've been having to keep a food journal too, this helps me learn my body & what works & doesn't work for me. Everyone is different & certain foods/liquids help them lose quicker or stall/not lose/gain. Drink your wine on the weekends, but add extra water (glass of wine, glass of water) to compensate for it.. and if the just meat/eggs/cheese isn't working, throw in a big leafy green salad (under your taco seasoned ground beef, it's yummy!) and see what happens. The key thing I've found (and read MANY times on these boards) is that if you are drinking your water & staying under your carb limit you WILL lose. Check everything you're eating & make sure it doesn't have any hidden carbs (like with me and the mayonnaise..) you CAN do this!!
justme_sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:14 AM   #219
Senior LCF Member

Jblanken - enjoy your visit with your family & your dad. I lost my dad when I was a child, he had gastric bypass surgery (he was 6'4 & 650lbs) but developed blood clots that went to his lungs. So dad's hold a VERY special place in my heart- hug em, love em, kiss em, & enjoy em for those of us who can't hug, love, kiss or enjoy ours anymore
Old 04-29-2014, 07:35 AM   #220
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme_sara View Post
**Have you been drinking your water? I've found that if I'm not drinking AT LEAST 64-96 ounces of water then I'm not going to lose. On the weeks where I've lost a lb a day I was drinking about a gallon of water. This also helped lower my appetite. I still had my 3 meals, but I wasn't snacking throughout the day like I normally do. I know how incredibly frustrating it can be to not lose like you have in the past, I've been having to keep a food journal too, this helps me learn my body & what works & doesn't work for me. Everyone is different & certain foods/liquids help them lose quicker or stall/not lose/gain. Drink your wine on the weekends, but add extra water (glass of wine, glass of water) to compensate for it.. and if the just meat/eggs/cheese isn't working, throw in a big leafy green salad (under your taco seasoned ground beef, it's yummy!) and see what happens. The key thing I've found (and read MANY times on these boards) is that if you are drinking your water & staying under your carb limit you WILL lose. Check everything you're eating & make sure it doesn't have any hidden carbs (like with me and the mayonnaise..) you CAN do this!!
Great advice - I thought this am, I need to write my foods down -thanks so much - you guys are terrific!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:17 AM   #221
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Jblanken - enjoy your visit with your family & your dad. I lost my dad when I was a child, he had gastric bypass surgery (he was 6'4 & 650lbs) but developed blood clots that went to his lungs. So dad's hold a VERY special place in my heart- hug em, love em, kiss em, & enjoy em for those of us who can't hug, love, kiss or enjoy ours anymore
Sara - thanks! So sorry to hear about your Dad. After my Mom died in 2012 of alzheimers I really understood how short our time with our loved ones is.

Cheryl - the advice Sara gave on water is so important and reminded me to go get some water... !! Thanks again Sara
Old 04-30-2014, 02:20 AM   #222
Major LCF Poster!

i came across a good article by Chris Kressor yesterday about eating fish. Even though fish gets a bad rap sometimes for having mercury in it etc. his article points out why it is better to eat fish than to not eat it. I am not crazy about fish but do like tuna with mayo at least once a week.

I am down .4 today. Still have a ways to go to get to my low of last week. Need to be patient!

March 27 start: -1, -.6, -.2, -.8 -.8, 0, -.6, -.6, +.2, 0, +.2, 0, -.2, 0, +.4, -.2, +.2, -1.2, +1, -.2, -.8
-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2, 0, -.4, ..., ..., ..., +2.6, -.4

Sausage bites, black coffee and pork skins today.

Have a great day gang!
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:12 AM   #223
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Can I ask you guys - what are your portion sizes?

I am wondering if I am eating too much? I am doing all lc but perhaps I need to cut down on portion sizes.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:51 AM   #224
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
i came across a good article by Chris Kressor yesterday about eating fish. Even though fish gets a bad rap sometimes for having mercury in it etc. his article points out why it is better to eat fish than to not eat it. I am not crazy about fish but do like tuna with mayo at least once a week.

I am down .4 today. Still have a ways to go to get to my low of last week. Need to be patient!
Abigale - congrats on your loss... I lost .3 today so happy for downward trend.. I go in streaks with fish. This week I've been doing tuna/mayo(homemade) for all my lunches and love it!! I figure it has omega-3's and its supposed to be good for me..

Cheryl - just read about calories on the atkins-72 thread, just jo posted some useful information on calories and portion control. This changes as you get to goal, but I am not close to that yet...
Here is what I do. This week, Lunch I have a can of tuna with olive oil, mayo 2T, drink ice water between meals sometimes put flavored in, but don't always like it so leave it out. Dinner I have 3-4 ounces of steak, hamburger or chicken...not holding the fat at all. I think I did better losing when I took a 2T of coconut oil during the day so putting this back in...

Good luck to all losing today!

Last edited by jblanken; 04-30-2014 at 06:52 AM..
Old 04-30-2014, 07:27 AM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

Here is what I read from thread atkins-72
I know we are meat only here but thought this was interesting...

Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution
1992, 1999, 2002
p.143

“Although there is no need to count calories, they do matter. Gaining weight results from taking in more calories than you expend through exercise, thermogenesis, and other metabolic functions. Research has shown that on a controlled carbohydrate program, more calories are burned than in a low fat/high carb diet so that there is a certain metabolic advantage to the controlled carb approach. But understand that this does not give you a license to gorge.”

Dr. Atkins Super Energy Diet
p.205

“If weight loss stops short of your ideal weight, even though you are producing ketones. You must conclude that the quantities within the diet are too great. The diet usually works best with just enough calories to stave off hunger. Too many people misinterpret the instructions regarding the diet as “Eat Unrestrictedly.” When they do this they will still lose weight in the beginning, which will reinforce their assurance that no heed whatever need be paid to quantities. In most cases, this practice will lead to a stalemate partway to the desired goal”.

p.205
“You may have to count calories in addition to carbohydrate. I have never said that calories don’t count, because I know of course that they do. I say that carbohydrate counts more. If your case is especially difficult, you may have to count both.

For most people, restricting carbohydrates is all that is necessary. However, there is no question that a 1500 calories 10 gram diet will take more weight off, and more quickly than a 2000 calorie-10 gram diet. So if you are having trouble losing you should cut down on your quantities, but not to the point where you where you have to put up with discomfort or hunger”

Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution
p.275

“Q. Don’t calories play any role?

A. There’s no question—of course they do. A 1500-calorie, 10-gram diet will take more weight off—and more quickly—than a 2000-calorie, 10-gram diet. If the carbohydrate levels remain unchanged, then the extra caloric intake does make a difference. People who eat out of force of habit and don’t cut their quantities lose more slowly because of their high caloric intake.

If you can cut down on your quantities, you are better off to do so—but not when it gets to the point where you have to put up with discomfort or hunger.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #226
Senior LCF Member

Morning everyone -

Cheryl- one thing I LOVE about this WOE is that I don't really worry with portion sizes. I eat until I am full (not stuffed..) and then stop. I make sure everything I put into my body (except my diet pepsi) is "clean" meaning no junk food/packaged food and let my body do the rest. Some meals I'll have a 2 can tuna salad, or a 8-10 oz steak or 2 pieces of chicken & other's it may only be half of that. My snacks are usually always veggie based (celery with cream cheese, olives, avocado with egg) or cheese - I'm addicted to cheese crisps.. I can't say enough how important adequate water intake is, especially when you're struggling to lose. And watch for hidden sugars in ingredients (just because the nutritional content says 0 sugars, it can STILL be in the ingredient list.. crazy I know) That was one of my biggest issues when I wasn't losing. Sugar has become my ENEMY!! Also, try the food journal thing.. I didn't realize how much snacking I was doing.. a bite here, a few bites there, a little piece of cookie really won't hurt.. in my situation it did hurt, but I didn't even really realize what I was doing until I saw it on paper.

Sorry so rambly (is that a word?) hope your scale starts cooperating with you!
Old 04-30-2014, 07:32 AM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Morning everyone -

Cheryl- one thing I LOVE about this WOE is that I don't really worry with portion sizes. I eat until I am full (not stuffed..) and then stop.
Yes I love this too Sara - - I am not hungry!! I used to do JUDD and was hungry on my DD...
Old 05-01-2014, 02:58 AM   #228
Major LCF Poster!

Had an unexpected set back yesterday. One of my supervisors had a birthday and instead of asking who wanted cake she cut pieces and put them down in front of us in the break room. I caved and the day went downhill from there. Well, back at it today!

Tuna with mayo, pork skins and black coffee today.

-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2, 0, -.4, ..., ..., ..., +2.6, -.4, +1
Old 05-01-2014, 04:33 AM   #229
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Julie - thanks so much!!! You have answered my questions! I have always had a big appetite (hence, why I am fat) Starting to day, I am going to make sure my portions are under control,

Sara- I have to start a food journal today! I actually gave up Coke Zero and drink water all day. Thanks for your advice - I will listen!

Abigale - we all screw up The other thread I am on, the girl just posted she went out to an Italian restaurant last night and had three slices of cheese pizza so it happens.

I love you guys and appreciate your support!

Cheryl
Old 05-01-2014, 05:21 AM   #230
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Julie - thanks so much!!! You have answered my questions! I have always had a big appetite (hence, why I am fat) Starting to day, I am going to make sure my portions are under control,

I love you guys and appreciate your support!
Your welcome Cheryl....I am the same as you, growing up in a big family with big meals...etc all high in carbs so this way of eating(WOE) is a revelation. The closer you get to goal your body will acclimate and as I've heard others say the portions and/or exercise they were doing just doesn't give the same results so they have to change something.

Hope we all see good losses in May and make our goals...
My goal for the month is 10 pounds....maybe stating a goal can keep me on track!!
Old 05-01-2014, 05:22 AM   #231
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
Had an unexpected set back yesterday. One of my supervisors had a birthday and instead of asking who wanted cake she cut pieces and put them down in front of us in the break room. I caved and the day went downhill from there. Well, back at it today!

Tuna with mayo, pork skins and black coffee today.
Abigale - been there...you are doing the right thing, getting right back on plan. We are here to cheer you on!!
Old 05-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #232
Major LCF Poster!

Cheryl and Julie, thanks for the pep talks! I appreciate everyone that shares here!

So far so good today!
Old 05-02-2014, 02:42 AM   #233
Major LCF Poster!

So glad it is Friday!

Sausage bites, black coffee and pork skins today.

Will check back after work. Have a great day gang!

-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2, 0, -.4, ..., ..., ..., +2.6, -.4, +1, 0
Old 05-02-2014, 07:30 AM   #234
Senior LCF Member

scale isn't budging for me yet. Still sitting @ 193 after last weekends fall off the wagon fiasco Not going to weigh myself again until next week. Hopefully will see a loss then. Also, was having 1-2 diet pepsi's a day, cutting those out completely for the weekend to see if that is causing a problem.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:52 AM   #235
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am right there with you, Sara, at 194. Only lost 2 lbs but I guess it is better than going up.

I am going to really be good this weekend even though I am going to Orlando to help my dd look for an apt when she goes to college in August. We are going to Medieval Times for dinner, but it is lc friendly - so I am good - Except of course, for the baked potatoe

Abigale - I don't know if I missed it - how do you make your sausage bites?
Old 05-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #236
Major LCF Poster!

Cheryl, nothing fancy. I just plop spoonfuls of sausage into the fry pan and cook the little plops one side and then the other. I don't add anything to it and don't roll it into meat balls. Very simple!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #237
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Meek75
Thank you, Metqa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
What Drago said! For example, if I roast a whole chicken, I eat the breast dipped in the drippings which is pure liquid fat and the best gravy ever. The thighs and legs are fatty enough on their own, so the drippings really help the chicken breast go down and avoid constipation and gives you more fuel to use. Protein is rotten fuel, you want more fat than protein to keep from feeling ill and tired.

I'll be joining you ladies on Sunday. I hope this is okay?!

Last edited by Meek75; 05-02-2014 at 09:41 PM..
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:44 AM   #238
Major LCF Poster!

Meek, we would love to have you join us on Sunday! The more, the merrier!

I am going to try to drink alot more water today since it is Saturday and I am off work. I find it very hard during the week to drink enough.

I am out of meat so need to go shopping early today. Will pick up more sausage for sure. It is really hitting the spot right now. There is a store near where I work that makes what they call "cowboy burgers". Apparently they add chopped up cheese and bacon to the ground beef. That might be fun to try for a change. Just adding the bacon to the ground beef would be pretty tasty. The bacon is added raw and cooks as you cook the burger. Yum!

-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2, 0, -.4, ..., ..., ..., +2.6, -.4, +1, 0, +.6
Old 05-03-2014, 04:42 AM   #239
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning!

Meek! Hop on board!

Abigale - chopped up cheese and bacon in ground beef?? I would be in heaven! I may try that on my own!
Old 05-04-2014, 03:35 AM   #240
Major LCF Poster!

Cheyl, I haven't made the cowboy burgers yet but they are definitely on my to do list!

Today I will be having my usual bacon and eggs at the restaurant my brother, sister in law and I go to after church. My favorite waitress always says "the usual?". I wouldn't dream of changing my menu. lol

Had a busy day yesterday working on organizing the garage and raking the last of leaves that were still frozen to the ground 3 weeks ago when I did alot of raking.

A robin has built a nest right outside our kitchen window on an outside light fixture for the second year in a row. Before long we will see little heads poking up looking for MaMa bringing them worms!

So bacon, eggs, sausage, tuna and mayo for me today with some pork skins for snacks.

Have a great day gang!

-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2, 0, -.4, ..., ..., ..., +2.6, -.4, +1, 0, +.6, 0

Last edited by Abigale; 05-04-2014 at 03:36 AM..