Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 07:07 AM   #181
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
Julie - what do you do with ground beef, just hamburgers? Can you give me a sample of a typical day's menu? Just checking out ideas!

Thanks!
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #182
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Hi Cheryig! We are glad you are joining us!

We wish you the best losing some before you go back home to New York in June!

Dr. Bill Davis who wrote the terrific book Wheat Belly also has a blog callled Track your Plaque. He is a cardiologist and has some interesting information about cholesterol and heart attacks. You can google him and see what he says about plaque being the real problem with heart attacks. He says if you are worried about heart disease, don't get a cholesterol panel, get a measure of coronary atherosclerotic plaque.
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:40 AM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning gang!

Dr. Blake Donaldson wrote a book in the 1960's called Strong Medicine. He advocated an all meat diet. If you google Dr. Donaldson's Eskimo-Style Diet there is a review of his book.

Here is a quote from the article. "There are probably only two biologically perfect foods - fresh fat meat (i.e. meat with fat on it) and water". He considered the role of amino acids to be vital for the repair of damaged cells, and stated many times that fresh fat meat contains all 10 essential amino acids, as well as several non-essential ones."

Tuna, mayo, pork skins and black coffee today.

Have a great day!

March 27 start: -1, -.6, -.2, -.8 -.8, 0, -.6, -.6, +.2, 0, +.2, 0, -.2, 0, +.4, -.2, +.2, -1.2, +1, -.2, -.8
(total lost so far 5.8 lbs.)
-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2

Last edited by Abigale; 04-23-2014 at 12:43 AM..
Old 04-23-2014, 02:05 AM   #184
Major LCF Poster!

If you are interested in having a look at Dr. Donaldson's book Strong Medicine you can find a link here.

Strong Medicine, by Dr. Blake Donaldson
Old 04-23-2014, 05:13 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jblanken
Stats: 248/184.7/120 5'6.5"
WOE: Atkins,LC,IF
Start Date: 2006-LC,restart 7/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylg View Post
Julie - what do you do with ground beef, just hamburgers? Can you give me a sample of a typical day's menu? Just checking out ideas!

Thanks!
Hi Cheryl - I just take the ground beef(1lbs) out of the package put a couple tabs of butter under it and boil it. I like the crunchy edges. Another person told me they baked it but I prefer to broil my beef. I typically can't eat the whole piece and save it for another time... I'm not sure if my outdoor grill is working right now, I usually get it out on memorial day. Not big outdoor grillers in my household...
jblanken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:15 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
If you are interested in having a look at Dr. Donaldson's book Strong Medicine you can find a link here.

Strong Medicine, by Dr. Blake Donaldson
Thanks Abigale - - awesome reference... I love to read about this !!

Down .8 today. I drank gobs of water yesterday - - this is one of the things that really helps me... I got so busy Monday at work and forgot!! My bad I know. So this proves one of my theories...

Lets lose some weight !!!
Old 04-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #187
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Abigale - thanks so much for the info, I am very interested! I don't know if I said, but I am diabetic (Type II) and I have been doing strict lc since Monday. My blood sugar was perfect this am!!

Julie - thanks for your info. I live in Florida so most us just grill. I see you from New Jersey. Lots of relatives there - Tom's River, Seaside, Neptune areas. Used to go to the Jersey Shore all the time when I was a kid.

Have a great day!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
My blood sugar was perfect this am!!

Julie - thanks for your info. I live in Florida so most us just grill. I see you from New Jersey. Lots of relatives there - Tom's River, Seaside, Neptune areas. Used to go to the Jersey Shore all the time when I was a kid.

Have a great day!
Congrats Cheryl on your blood sugar - - this is awesome...
My husband has lived in Somers Point all his life. I came here in late 20s to work at NAFEC... We love to walk the Ocean City boardwalk and beach !!! Hello former neighbor
Old 04-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: justme_sara
Stats: 210/186/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2014
Hello all -

Cheryl - CONGRATS on your blood sugar I finally bought and started reading the New Atkins Diet Revolution ($4.00 on my kindle) and already in just the first few chapters SO many of my questions have been answered about why this WOE works & how it really is HEALTH eating, not diet eating.

More ideas for ground beef (we're in Texas so we grill ALL year long..)
1. You can crumble the ground beef & season it with Taco Seasoning (make your own: Chili powder, cumin, salt/pepper, cayenne or red pepper if you want it a little spicy, and dried cilantro, paprika (smoked if you can find it), onion powder, garlic powder) - I'll make DH tacos with this & have a HUGE salad with this on top, it's delicious!

2. Same idea as above, but with Fajita seasoning (check the ingredients for any hidden sugar)

3. Same idea as above, but "italian style" with italian seasoning or italian dressing & shredded or grated parmesan cheese - I make a killer "italian meat loaf" without the breadcrumbs. It's just ground beef/pork, italian seasoning, tomato paste, parmesan cheese, & eggs - you can slice it and grill it for a delicious alternative to a burger

4. Make & skewer meatballs! this is usually how I use up any leftover meat - make up the meatballs (add a little ground pork rind if an egg won't bind it all together) bake them in the oven or make a "grill pack" (folded over aluminum foil, sealed) and throw them on the grill with anything else you've got cooking. Season however you'd like.

Hope that gives ya some ideas..

Jblanken - water is a huge source of aggravation for me I've never liked water.. even as a kid.. but in starting this WOE I forced myself to drink @ least a gallon a day & lost very quickly. I now know if I'm not losing that I haven't been drinking that much. Some days are good, some not so good, but at least I can narrow it down to that!!
justme_sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #190
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sara - thanks so much for some more ideas! I am re-reading the Atkins book to motivate me. I have to go for my 6 month check up and blood work the end of June so it will be interesting to see what my numbers are!
Old 04-24-2014, 01:44 AM   #191
Major LCF Poster!

Hey gang!

no loss no gain today for me. Still in deep ketosis. I am cooking up some chicken livers for today and tomorrow.

Sara, those were some great suggestions for spicing up ground beef for Cheylg! I love especially taco seasoning!

Dipping my sausage bites in wing sauce was also delicious.

Cheryl, I love your signature! I once crosstitched the whole blessing for my Mother!

Have a great day!

March 27 start: -1, -.6, -.2, -.8 -.8, 0, -.6, -.6, +.2, 0, +.2, 0, -.2, 0, +.4, -.2, +.2, -1.2, +1, -.2, -.8
-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2, 0

Last edited by Abigale; 04-24-2014 at 01:48 AM..
Old 04-24-2014, 06:11 AM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme_sara View Post
starting this WOE I forced myself to drink @ least a gallon a day & lost very quickly. I now know if I'm not losing that I haven't been drinking that much. Some days are good, some not so good, but at least I can narrow it down to that!!
Wow this is awesome, thanks for the tip!!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:11 AM   #193
Senior LCF Member

up .5 today ... bummer
Yesterday it got so busy I forgot to drink all the water I wanted, kind of a stressful day really. Also forgot to bring in my HWC for my coffee at work so there was added carbs there. I did eat 300 less calories and didn't exercise...forgot about appointment during the allotted time for exercise...

Today I will just stay on plan, drink more water and exercise...

Hoping we all see losses today - -
Old 04-24-2014, 06:33 AM   #194
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning, all!

I did good yesterday and worked out last night at gym. But my stomach feels bloated today Not going near scale until tomorrow -

Abigale - I love that blessing! What a nice gift for your Mom. I am English/Irish but married into a very Irish Catholic family. (Since divorced and he passed away in 2008) but I am still close to his family.

Julie - hope your day is less stressful today. Let's all stay on plan and look for a loss tomorrow!

Sara - how are you today?

BBL
Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Good morning all -

VERY happy to report that after stepping on the scale this morning (hadn't weighed myself since last friday due to my little Easter fall off the wagon episode!) it read 192.8 This was my weight last week BEFORE the weekend episode. So I'm super happy about that!

This weekend is going to be another tough one, we're having our annual "Christmas in April" big family get together up @ our cabin in Southeastern Arkansas. I'm actually taking tomorrow off from work to go up a little early so I will have some time to plan out my snacks & menu for the weekend. Some of my family have been on Atkins or WW before, so they won't be all pushy with the food already being made, I just have to fend for myself while I'm there - fingers crossed for an easy time!

Cheryl - have you been able to try any of the GB variations yet?

Jblanken - sorry for no loss the water is a major factor for me, maybe that's all it is for you too. I have a new motto when I get discouradged that I'm not losing quickly enough -- SLOW & STEADY WINS THE RACE, SLOW AND STEADY SLIMS THE FACE!! thought it was quite clever

Hope you all see losses today!! Any suggestions for easy "camping" LC food would be fabulous
Old 04-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #196
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sara - have a great time! Not sure what GB variation is? As far as suggestions, there are all the hard-boiled eggs, deviled eggs, nuts, celery with cream cheese, pork rinds, etc - and if you are grilling, meals should not be a problem? -
Old 04-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Cheryl & Sara - Thanks ladies - -I needed those encouraging words!!
It will be less stressful because I have time for myself today...

You guys are great!
Old 04-25-2014, 01:21 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Julie, these hop ups in our weights do get somewhat discouraging even though they are just a water retention fluctuation. Hoping you will see drop today!

Cheryl, I think the GB variations are the different seasonings that Sara suggested adding to ground beef.

Sara, it is nice that your family will not push you to eat things not on your plan and great you will have time to go to the camp and get your food prepared. Have a wonderful time!

I was down .4 today so that is keeping me motivated.

Chicken livers, pork skins and black coffee today.

I will check back in after work and see how everyone is doing today.

-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2, 0, -.4
Old 04-26-2014, 07:20 AM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Hi Abigale - - thanks for the encouraging words!

Good morning ladies...
up .5 today....too many carbs yesterday.
Does anyone gain around ovulation? I feel puffy...
Birthday boy is having 5 teenage boys around so it looks like pizza
time. Good thing this no longer (if ever) a temptation to me.
Cutting out the carbs for sure like I know I should...
Hoping for a whoosh soon...
But if I don't see losses soon, may try a meat only couple of days.

KUTGW !!
Old 04-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #200
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Julie - good for you on the pizza! I love pizza! I had a hysterectomy 15 years ago so I can't help you with the bloating I don't feel like it is coming off as fast as I'd like - maybe I will do meat only, also!

Abigale - great going on the loss! Keep it going!

Sara - making GB today. I am going to use the Taco seasoning and also do meatballs with pork rinds, etc and I am going to grill pork chops so I will be good for week! Great going on no gain!!

Have a great Sunday!

Cheryl
Old 04-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

My sisters and I drove down to Cape Cod yesterday to visit a dear friend. It is about a 4 hour trip and we came back today. It was a whirl wind trip for sure. Eating wise, let's just say I am not weighing for a day or two!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #202
Senior LCF Member

Yahoo - - down 1.3 today...
Did only meat yesterday, with only HWC in coffee...
Also did a jog to hopefully loosen up the water retention...

Also did the jogging today. I'd like to do this everyday but not always
successful doing this...

Abigale sounds like a great trip... I went up northern part of NJ
to a yarn outlet... One of my hobbies... Good time/prices...

Have a great evening!
Old 04-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #203
Senior LCF Member

morning everyone -

had a FABULOUS weekend @ the cabin, but we're not gonna talk about what I ate I will say though that I am becoming much more aware what effect specific foods have on my body, it was a delicious but uncomfortable food weekend for me. Don't care to feel like that again

jblanken - I get "puffy" around TOM, seems like no matter what I do I can't avoid it. Only thing that helps for me is upping my water intake & taking an occasional Midol or Pamperin (if you do this, MAKE SURE you're drinking lots of water bc it has a diuretic in it) but for the most part I skip blue jeans & stick to my scrubs or stretch pants during this time. I also gain a few lbs during this time but usually drop back down fairly quickly just a day or so after.

Cheryl - how did you like the GB (ground beef) and meatballs?! I always love getting others variations on seasonings & things.

Water, Meat/Tuna, & salad greens for me today - no weighing in until @ least wednesday -

Hope you all have a fab monday!
Old 04-28-2014, 07:01 AM   #204
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sara - I ended up just making hamburgers with taco seasoning and they were quite good. Next Sunday, I will make the meatballs. It is amazing as you get used to this woe. Checking labels and making sure about the carbs - like I wanted to add worchestshire (sp) to my hamburgers and only did one small tsp -

Abigale - I would love to go on vacation to Cape Cod. I grew up in New York (Long Island) and several times years ago took the ferry over.

Have a great day!
Old 04-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

Cheryl, what a beautiful area the cape is even in the rain. One funny story, our friend and her husband lived in one area of N. Chattham for many years. After he passed away she sold it and moved to another area. Carol drove us by the house and it looked vacant like it was just a summer home now so we got out and started walking around looking in the windows. All of a sudden the lady of the house opened her window and our friend apologized and said she used to live there. The lady said "Carol?" She remembered her and invited us in to see all the lovely renovations they had done. It looked like a home out of house and garden! She took Carol's number and said she was going to invite her over for wine some evening.

Julie, I can knit one thing. Little felted wool lambs. I try to knit one a year so I can sort of remember how to make them. I knit them out of wool and then wash and shrink them before stuffing them. Other than that I can't read a pattern. lol I envy people that can knit up lovely sweaters etc. What do you knit usually?

Well, I am cooking up my sausage bites and have a bottle of water on the counter I am trying to take a swig from every time I go into the kitchen.

Have a great day gang. I will check back later after I get some more housework done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lamby Pie.jpg (40.0 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Abigale; 04-28-2014 at 07:18 AM..
Old 04-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
Julie, I can knit one thing. Little felted wool lambs. I try to knit one a year so I can sort of remember how to make them. I knit them out of wool and then wash and shrink them before stuffing them. Other than that I can't read a pattern. lol I envy people that can knit up lovely sweaters etc. What do you knit usually?

Well, I am cooking up my sausage bites and have a bottle of water on the counter I am trying to take a swig from every time I go into the kitchen.
Gonna look up your sausage bites, think you shared recipe before...yum

The felted wool lambs are adorable!
I knit just about anything; slippers for my teenage boys, sweaters, hat scarves...I like to stretch myself and learn a new pattern. Last year I was trying another pattern every week... I want to knit for grandchildren when I retire, hopefully I'll get some (after they are married...LOL)...

Hope we all see losses today!!!
Old 04-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme_sara View Post
jblanken - I get "puffy" around TOM, seems like no matter what I do I can't avoid it. Only thing that helps for me is upping my water intake & taking an occasional Midol or Pamperin (if you do this, MAKE SURE you're drinking lots of water bc it has a diuretic in it) but for the most part I skip blue jeans & stick to my scrubs or stretch pants during this time. I also gain a few lbs during this time but usually drop back down fairly quickly just a day or so after.
Hey Sara - thanks for the info. This doesn't happen to me everytime and when it does I keep asking myself why, but after all this time I gotta just go with it...

Have a great day!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I feel like I am doing so good - but the hunger thing won't go away??

Last time Atkins worked for me, like 15 years ago, I lost 40 lbs but I wasn't hungry and had to force myself to eat. Not happening today?
Old 04-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #209
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I feel like I am doing so good - but the hunger thing won't go away??

Last time Atkins worked for me, like 15 years ago, I lost 40 lbs but I wasn't hungry and had to force myself to eat. Not happening today?
Hi Cheryl - when did you start back? It took me about 2 weeks before I lost the hunger on one restart.... Also I have to drink my water - this seems to help me.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #210
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

One week ago - so I still have a chance? Isn't it incredible how you only get one good shot with this, it seems?

It seems like last time, within 3 days, I lost my appetite -