Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jblanken
Stats: 248/184.7/120 5'6.5"
WOE: Atkins,LC,IF,EFGT
Start Date: 2006-LC,restart 9/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
Drinking some water right now like a good girl.
Hi Abigale - since starting back on this diet, I've started to love
ice water...go figure. I never liked it before, but I think it
helps to rinse my tongue because I am in deep ketosis?
Does this make any sense??
jblanken is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2014, 02:34 AM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Julie, I guess the water helped. I am down .4 today so now I am finally at a new low. Boy, this is going to be a long struggle I can see but I am still determined to stick with it for the long haul!

Ground beef with butter on it, black coffee, and pork skins today.

March 27 start: -1, -.6, -.2, -.8 -.8, 0, -.6, -.6, +.2, 0, +.2, 0, -.2, 0, +.4, -.2, +.2, -1.2, +1, -.2, -.8
(total lost so far 5.8 lbs.)
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:27 AM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Julie, I guess the water helped. I am down .4 today so now I am finally at a new low. Boy, this is going to be a long struggle I can see but I am still determined to stick with it for the long haul!
Congrats on the loss!!!
I think we learn as we go and how to tweek the diet to what will
work the best for this way of life. Initially I lost 17, then stalled,
then went to just meat and now think I've found my niche.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Hello I have a challenge ahead of me for Easter,
Any advise will be appreciated for Easter at MIL. The whole family is obese and on the standard low fat and high carb diet. I was asked to bring fruit and some other carb. MIL will serve ham with sugar glaze. Should I just go off plan for one meal? I really just want to call out sick.... Maybe I should take a stash of bacon in a bag and eat that when I get tempted....hmmm
Old 04-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: justme_sara
Stats: 210/186/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblanken View Post
Hello I have a challenge ahead of me for Easter,
Any advise will be appreciated for Easter at MIL. The whole family is obese and on the standard low fat and high carb diet. I was asked to bring fruit and some other carb. MIL will serve ham with sugar glaze. Should I just go off plan for one meal? I really just want to call out sick.... Maybe I should take a stash of bacon in a bag and eat that when I get tempted....hmmm
Ditto here!! I am taking my own LC/HF Items, some pre-cooked ham & roast beef, bacon, and deviled Eggs. Also will take a Caesar Salad with homemade dressing. This way I can still enjoy my family time without all the stares of 'why aren't you eating' I'll make enough salad for everyone, I can always eat the leftovers monday!
justme_sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

What a great idea Sara! Thanks alot!
Old 04-18-2014, 02:20 AM   #157
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sara, good ideas!

Julie, I am planning on maybe making some little sausage meat balls or some other kind of finger food. After church I will be driving to my sister's house which will take me 20 to 25 minutes. I am going to eat these meat balls on the way until I feel pretty full. I am hoping this will keep me from diving into the carby stuff. My job is to make deviled eggs so I will have some of those at the dinner, ham, and usually my sister makes a big green salad. I am going to do the best I can so I don't have to start all over again on Monday trying to get back into ketosis. Feeling really full may be the key to not falling off the wagon.

Tuna with mayo, black coffee and pork skins for me today.

I am down .2! Have a great day gang!

March 27 start: -1, -.6, -.2, -.8 -.8, 0, -.6, -.6, +.2, 0, +.2, 0, -.2, 0, +.4, -.2, +.2, -1.2, +1, -.2, -.8
-.4,-.2
Old 04-18-2014, 06:29 AM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

DNW today, taking a break from scale, I am on plan however.
Got quite a few springtime activities to do this weekend.
One good thing is my 15 year old wants to start jogging with me
every other day and I am happy about this so shooting for
a start on Saturday

Abigale - those meat balls sound yummy! At least the eggs won't have sugar in them! lol Also, congrats on your loss!
Old 04-18-2014, 06:38 AM   #159
Major LCF Poster!

Those meatballs reminded me that I am making this on the weekend... It can be frozen as well. I plan to rollout like a sausage and slice thin to eat. Its from Alton Brown(food network). I will either cut the onion/garlic down or just use some onion powder because I conserve on carbs as much as possible

Ingredients
1 medium onion, finely chopped or shredded
2 pounds ground lamb
1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried marjoram
1 tablespoon dried ground rosemary
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Plan on using my rotisserie to cook...

Julie
Old 04-19-2014, 05:29 AM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Julie, that sounds like a delicious recipe! How do you wrap it and attach to your rotisserie?

I just boiled a dozen eggs to make the deviled eggs for tomorrow and cooked up one pound of mild sausage into little bite size pieces. I am going to have some franks's wing sauce on the side to dip them in for a kick. Hoping if I keep munching on these the carby items will be easier to resist!

I am up .2 today but still in ketosis. Hope to still be in it by Monday

Have a great day gang!

-.4,-.2+.2
Old 04-19-2014, 07:09 AM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Julie, that sounds like a delicious recipe! How do you wrap it and attach to your rotisserie?
Hi Abigale - that is an awesome loss!! The food sounds like a great plan!! I was having trouble peeling eggs until I saw a youtube video and walla! No problem! I was just not cooking it right... My 2 teenage boys love these eggs, no time like the present to introduce them to a better way of eating...

On the receipe I shared...
rotisserie directions
(I'm using dehydrated onion)
Process the onion in a food processor for 10 to 15 seconds and turn out into the center of a tea towel. Gather up the ends of the towel and squeeze until almost all of the juice is removed. Discard juice.

Return the onion to the food processor and add the lamb, garlic, marjoram, rosemary, salt, and pepper and process until it is a fine paste, approximately 1 minute. Stop the processor as needed to scrape down sides of bowl.

To cook on a rotisserie, proceed as follows:

Form the meat mixture into a loaf shape and place on top of 2 overlapping pieces of plastic wrap that are at least 18 inches long. Roll the mixture in the plastic wrap tightly, making sure to remove any air pockets. Once the meat is completely rolled in the wrap, twist the ends of the plastic wrap until the surface of the wrap is tight. Store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to overnight, to allow the mixture to firm up.

Preheat the grill to high.

Place the meat onto the rotisserie skewer. Place a double-thick piece of aluminum foil folded into a tray directly under the meat to catch any drippings. Cook on high for 15 minutes. Decrease the heat to medium and continue to cook for another 20 to 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165 degrees F. Turn off the heat and allow to continue to spin for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 175 degrees.

Lets all see some losses today!
Old 04-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Julie, that is amazing that you can make all that into a paste and it will stay on the spit! What a neat recipe!

Well I made it through today by the skin of my teeth. When they decided to order pizza for dinner I decided to head home. So far so good. I had tuna salad and pork skins for dinner. It tasted great!

Talk to you all in the morning!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:52 AM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Julie, that is amazing that you can make all that into a paste and it will stay on the spit! What a neat recipe!

Well I made it through today by the skin of my teeth. When they decided to order pizza for dinner I decided to head home. So far so good. I had tuna salad and pork skins for dinner. It tasted great!

Talk to you all in the morning!
Abilgale - hurray for you...

I had some stress this week and ate popcorn, yes my bad. Then got back on plan and started to ride my recumbent bike again. Down to my weight before popcorn... Will try the bike this week to see if it helps!

Happy Easter - - staying on plan today!!
Old 04-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy Easter Julie and gang!

We had a wonderful family get together today and the weather was perfect. Besides the delicious ham I did have some peas and green salad. Hope it didn't kick me out of ketosis. We shall see.

Back to just meat for the next 5 days. Going to Cape Cod next weekend so can't make any promises about that.

I was back down .2 today. It's like being on a roller coaster. lol

-.4,-.2+.2, -2
Old 04-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #165
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I saw a photo where they boiled eggs then split them to make deviled eggs, but then soaked the white halves in food coloring, then filled them with the yolk filling. So Cute!

Saw another where, they cut the egg near the top instead of in half, then scooped out the yolk. After making the filling they refilled the larger bottom half of the white and capped it with the smaller tip, then put tiny cloves and a sliver of carrot to make it look like a yellow chick was peeping out of the eggs!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:48 AM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my gosh metqa, those little chick eggs are so cute. The pastel eggs are very pretty. My poor family just got the old standards. lol

I am still in ketosis after the salad and peas yesterday but am up that same .2 . Going to try to drink more water today. I am off work today because I work in Massachusetts and it is Patriots Day for them. Need to work on our garden beds getting them weeded out now that the snow and ice seem to gone for good. The exercise should help a little.

Have a great day gang. I will check back later!

-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2
Old 04-21-2014, 06:03 AM   #167
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh my gosh metqa, those little chick eggs are so cute. The pastel eggs are very pretty. My poor family just got the old standards. lol

I am still in ketosis after the salad and peas yesterday but am up that same .2 .
Metqa - - very cute eggs- Thanks!

Abigale - at least its not 2 lbs... !!

4/14 186.2
DNW succumbed to stress, had popcorn
4/19 188.2 started recumbent bike
4/20 186.2
4/21 DNW

Easter get together - - Hurray - no glaze on the ham...
I was saved and SIL brought deviled eggs.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #168
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Those deviled eggs are life savers aren't they Julie! Yes, I am very thankful the scale was not up 2 pounds!

Those little sausage bites did help me some. I was not able to nibble on them on the trip up to my sisters because my other sister decided to ride with me. But I had eaten a bunch for breakfast before I left the house and they kept me going until we had ham etc. at 12:30. I am going to make some more today and bring them for lunch for a few days. A nice change from ground beef and with frank's wing sauce on the side they taste very good. Frank's has only one carb per tablespoon and a little goes a long way.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:56 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Good morning all!

I'm so glad you were all able to stay on track this weekend! The eggs (colored & chicks) are so cute -

Unfortunately, I officially "fell off the wagon" this weekend, but no worries, I am back on clean eating today & hoping to be back into ketosis by tomorrow. Haven't weighed myself since Friday due to "dirty eating" this way I won't get discouraged when I see the scale going up. I will give myself a few days of clean eating before weighing again.

My biggest problem is that I don't have things on hand already cooked and ready to go, so I was just grabbing and eating. My goal this week is to plan my menus out with snacks & have them cooked, bagged, & ready to just grab and munch as needed. Abigale - the sausage bites sound yummy, I'm going to give those a whirl too!

Hope everyone has losses!
Old 04-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sara, I think those sausage bites are going to be a staple with me. I just eat them cold and have a little container in with them with the wings sauce in it. I find myself today just eating afew during the morning off and on and they are keeping me satisfied.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:56 AM   #171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am down .4 today so that makes me happy. I did try to drink more water yesterday which may have helped. Also worked hard getting our garden plots ready. Alot of weeding!

I just cooked up some sausage bites for lunch and will bring a little wing sauce for dipping.

Have a great day gang!

-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4
Old 04-22-2014, 05:24 AM   #172
Major LCF Poster!

Excellent Abigale . .

Up .6 today, did my bike yesterday too. I do know I didn't drink enough water yesterday... Easily fixed that one...

For some reason, I couldn't connect to this site yesterday evening...hmmm
Old 04-22-2014, 05:26 AM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme_sara View Post
Good morning all!

I'm so glad you were all able to stay on track this weekend! The eggs (colored & chicks) are so cute -

Unfortunately, I officially "fell off the wagon" this weekend, but no worries, I am back on clean eating today.....
My biggest problem is that I don't have things on hand already cooked and ready to go, so I was just grabbing and eating. My goal this week is to plan my menus out with snacks & have them cooked, bagged, & ready to just grab and munch as needed. Abigale - the sausage bites sound yummy, I'm going to give those a whirl too!

Hope everyone has losses!
Sara - - I find this too where if I don't plan out the week, I can easily eat something I shouldn't because I'm hungry... Good luck this week!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:04 AM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
Can I join you guys?

I decided yesterday I am going back on Atkins, doing Induction. Then I was thinking just doing meat and eggs for a bit and see where that takes me. Your challenge interests me.

I need to be prepared but I did stop this am and bought bacon which I have not had in a while - wow! way up in price

I like ground beef, steak etc - really sick of chicken though

Last year, I lost 20 and was down to 185 - I have managed to go the wrong way and I am back up (not weighing until Friday). I am so sick of myself, my pants are tight and I feel gross so now I am motivated!!!

What is everyone's opinion on cholesterol, etc with this woe?

Cheryl
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #175
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy0821 View Post
I have basically been eating only meat since March 1. I am down 20 pounds.

Congrats!!

Wow, can you give me a sample of a typical day's menu?
Old 04-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Yay Abigale! hope the scale keeps going down down down -

Cherylg - WELCOME!! this board has been a wealth of information for me, hope it is to you as well. I haven't had a problem with cholesterol, however, I am in my late 20's & do not have a family history of high levels any way. Also, I drink a TON of water (never thought I'd say that..) What is your take on it?

Jblanken - thanks for the good wishes! Did great yesterday UNTIL I had to run to the store under a pretty stressful situation & they had their Easter candy on sale, I crumbled However, sent it all with DH to work last night so it's no longer a temptation! Have some hard boiled eggs & Tuna with mayo & dill pickle for snacking today - What kind of items do you put on your menu for eating/snacking?

Hope everyone see's losses today!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:25 AM   #177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sara, thanks for the welcome! Well, I am diabetic, so according to Atkins, my blood sugar should improve along with my cholesterol. I am not a newbie to this board, been coming here since Nov, 2002. So I guess I am an oldie

I have been doing all sort of different woe's but now I am back to good old Atkins and let's see where this takes me. I am originally from New York, living in Florida. Going home for 5 days on June 7 and would love there to be a lot less of me -
Old 04-22-2014, 07:38 AM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme_sara View Post
Have some hard boiled eggs & Tuna with mayo & dill pickle for snacking today - What kind of items do you put on your menu for eating/snacking?
Hi Sara - my snack is bacon, sausage or coconut oil...I can't do cheese(think its an allergy). My lunch is usually eggs, tuna or salmon (usually add mayo) with these. I do find that my appetite is has decreased a lot since I've been doing this diet so snacking isn't really a thing I do anymore...
Old 04-22-2014, 07:41 AM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylg View Post
Can I join you guys?
What is everyone's opinion on cholesterol, etc with this woe?
Cherylg - - yes join us!!
I just got my results fro cholesterol, my HDL was good, but my LDL was a little high but not enough to have my Dr try to put me on meds. I've read that this is a temporary thing with this WOE, so I will be watching this...
Old 04-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #180
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylg View Post
I like ground beef, steak etc - really sick of chicken though
Cherylg, beef is almost a staple in my diet...
I usually go back and forth between my favorites: beef, fish & eggs.