Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Jessica, I agree with Julie - great job on the loss!
Abigale is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jblanken
Stats: 248/184.7/120 5'6.5"
WOE: Atkins,LC,IF
Start Date: 2006-LC,restart 7/2014
Hey Abigale -
I didn't see your original post on reading Vilhjalmur Stefansson. This is so funny, I was reading his book in September, then either got busy at work or something because I didn't finish it and forgot about it. Now I am going back to read it all. Thanks for the reminder. lol
Your weight loss and others on this blog is so encouraging...

Last edited by jblanken; 04-05-2014 at 07:34 PM..
jblanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:06 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Julie, great minds think alike. lol I have read lots of accounts of Steffansson's exploits but have never read his books. If you start reading them again give us some gems along the way.

My weight is going to come off very begrudgingly this time. I am up .2 today. When I did ths before for many months I averaged at least 1/2 pound a day. But I am very tired of trying to find the right low carb substitute for high carb food. I feel much calmer that there are no decisions right now, no counting, no weighing. I feel pretty sure that I am going through that homeostasis thing where water weight takes the place in the cells for fat. Going to get out the too snug jeans to use as my test if the scale does not show it for awhile.

talk to you all later! I will be having my two eggs and cream in my coffee at the restaurant after Church. It's a tradition I don't want to break and our favorite waitress would have a hissy fit. lol The rest of the day will be ground beef and DH is cooking a pot roast in the crock pot today so I will be eating pot roast for a week. lol

March 27 start: -1, -.6, -.2, -.8 -.8, 0, -6, -.6, +.2, 0, +.2

Last edited by Abigale; 04-06-2014 at 02:12 AM..
Old 04-06-2014, 05:43 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Good morning everyone, hope you have losses today...
I am down .5 - very happy on the downward trend again!!

Also I have made the switch to save me 4 carbs a day!!! yahoo
I have removed njoy and use unsweetened almond milk in my coffee!!
A suggestion from another awesome blogger.... Thanks Garden!!!

Yes Abigale - will share good tidbits from Steffansson. I also love
this way of eating. I do so hate to count every calorie!!
Stick with it - you can do it!!
Old 04-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

I think I can hang in here for the long haul with everyone's support!

Breakfast of bacon and eggs was good and cream in my coffee too but it really does not bother me much now at work to drink it black. Having a warm cup of black coffee when I finally get to sit down and relax every 2 hours is heavenly!

So that's it until next Sunday for eggs and cream.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BringOnTheLard
Stats: 240/179/150
WOE: Ketogenic / VLCVHF
Start Date: Early Aug 2013
Had this yesterday with my chicken thighs....soooo good. Have a recipe for sauteed thin sliced yellow zucchini and onions, lots of butter, then add a dollop of sour cream. That's one of my all time favorite side dishes. I decided to make the side dish, a small serving of course, then cube the chicken and heat it up in the zucchini after. MMMmmmmmm.
BringOnTheLard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Having the chicken thighs - -sprinkled Italian spices & olive oil....at 500
The house smells heavenly....Thanks for the suggestion ladies

cals 1,150 fat 90.1 carbs 3.7 prot 78.4
Old 04-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

DH started a pot roast in the crock pot this morning and our house smells heavenly too! I will be eating pot roast for a week so be prepared for that menu.lol
Old 04-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #99
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Even though I'm not eating only meat, following you folks is helping to keep me on track in general. I'm still eating cheese, an egg here and there and some macadamia on road trips, as well as pork rinds, but in keeping with the spirit, I'm staying really low in carbs. I had the toppings of a hamburger without the bun, I had a pork BBQ sandwich without the bun and a side salad, I finished off the broccoli with the blue cheese dressing and I had roast chicken with the cream sauce ( almost gone).

Tonight I had some cocoa bark with macs, and for dinner I had some carne picada meat with mushrooms in coconut oil and a slice of cooked liver seasoned with rice vinegar, sesame oil and nutritional yeast.

I just bought a butt load of herb and vegetable starts from Home Depot to start my summer garden. Then I'll become half vegetarian!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Hi metqa! I am glad we are all keeping you on track because you all are keeping me on track! lol

Your food choices sound good. What is picada meat?

How far are you from Marietta? I have a brother who lives there. DH and I lived in Alabama for many years in Huntsville and the last 10 years there in Gulf Shores. We came back to Vermont and New Hampshire in 2007 to take care of our aging mothers.
Missing that warm weather right now!

Apparently my body loves this weight and is holding on tight kicking and screaming, not wanting to budge an ounce. lol

Have a great day gang!

March 27 start: -1, -.6, -.2, -.8 -.8, 0, -6, -.6, +.2, 0, +.2, 0
Old 04-07-2014, 04:26 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Down .4 today....Hope I can keep this up... Just following the meat only with a 1/2c lettuce and coconut oil. I do like this diet because I do not feel hungry and am not counting calories but do watch carbs. Last night I did test ketones, and they were high...yeah this was a mini goal of mine, since I took a break on 4/1. Now almost a week later total loss is 2lbs.
I'll keep this up as long as possible...
Old 04-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Julie, isn't it a wonderful feeling to see the scale go down every day! Great that the ketones were high. I may pick up some strips this week. Would love to be in ketosis even if the scale it not moving much this week. I would know I was burning fat.

Tomorrow is the day I have been dreading. It is the day the company will provide lunch and it is going to be pizza and cake. ugh It will be a tough lunch as I have not been off the carbs that long. Wish me luck!
Old 04-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Abigale - all the luck going your way tomorrow, will be thinking about you tomorrow... I do dread these days..."company will provide lunch and it is going to be pizza and cake."

I absolutely love this diet. I am not every hungry, unless I forgot to eat!!
Of course I am realizing the good part of this diet, less hungry, less cravings too. I am losing more then the LC/IF(JUDD type), go figure. I still say we need to find what works for us as individuals...

stats--- cal 942 fat 71.7 carbs 3.3 protein 69.9

A'72 believer

Julie
Old 04-07-2014, 01:54 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
Tomorrow is the day I have been dreading. It is the day the company will provide lunch and it is going to be pizza and cake. ugh It will be a tough lunch as I have not been off the carbs that long. Wish me luck!
I just started working at this mini-shop that mostly sells candy and to my surprise I'm not temped at all.

But there is no tempting smell. The smell of pizza is much more of a challenge than seeing sweets I think.

Is there no other place you can go to on those days they have these temptations?
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Geiri, I wish I could go somewhere to avoid the smell. lol We only get 30 minutes for lunch and we are not close to any place to escape to. I will just have to suffer through it. Hope to come back after work tomorrow and say I was STRONG and did not give in to temptation.

Julie, thanks for the good luck wishes. I too do not feel much hunger on this way of eating. It really is such a simple way to eat. I just have to get enough time behind me to stick with it!

Last edited by Abigale; 04-07-2014 at 03:24 PM..
Old 04-08-2014, 12:49 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!

The temperature here this morning at 4am is 40 degrees. Wow, that is almost a heat wave for us in New Hampshire. First day starting above the 30's since December I think. Maybe we will get a spring after all.

Scale is just doing the up .2 down .2 at the moment. I will be bringing ground beef for lunch, pork skins for snacks and black coffee.

Have a great day gang!

March 27 start: -1, -.6, -.2, -.8 -.8, 0, -6, -.6, +.2, 0, +.2, 0, -.2
Old 04-08-2014, 04:19 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Scale is just doing the up .2 down .2 at the moment. I will be bringing ground beef for lunch, pork skins for snacks and black coffee.
March 27 start: -1, -.6, -.2, -.8 -.8, 0, -6, -.6, +.2, 0, +.2, 0, -.2
Hang in there Abigale - I've been there too...

Down 1.1 today, yahoo, thought for sure I would see a gain since I ate extra meat yesterday...
Old 04-08-2014, 06:19 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Abigale, you mentioned that you don't feel much hunger with this way of eating which interested me because I often don't feel much hunger when eating mostly meat (and, in my case, eggs as well). At least I don't feel consistently and reliably hungry at conventional mealtimes. I wonder how you handle this as I've not figured out exactly what to do. Do you eat even if not hungry or do you skip meals?

For example, right now I still haven't eaten breakfast and it is 9:14 am. I'm not worried about it since today is an 'at home' day and I can eat whenever I do get hungry but often when I'm not going to be home I eat breakfast and/or lunch even when not particularly hungry since I worry about getting hungry at an inconvenient time later when meal prep and eating isn't possible. Dinner is especially problematic as I am concerned that if I don't eat something then I'll get hungry late in the evening or in the middle of the night and I certainly won't want to be cooking and eating then.

Do you eat at regular times even if not hungry or do you just eat when you do feel hungry?
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #109

I'm about an hour and a half from Marietta. I spent my teen years there. It's a nice city.

That meat is some sorta chopped up beef. it's smaller pieces than stew beef. My BF found it and uses it for stews where he wants bite size pieces but doesn't want to chop all day. It's sometimes tough but often tender enough to pan fry for a snack.

I seem to be stuck despite eating a lot less carbs than what got me to this higher weight. Funny how it can come on in a week and take months to go away!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:14 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

metqa, just popping back in to tell you that, inspired by your mention of sausage and spinach soup a while back, I finally bought a lb of sausage meat at the market last week. Ever since you talked about it I've had this strong desire to make a soup with sausage which is surprising since, before going VLC, I never craved sausage at all. It just wasn't one of my fave things. But I'm excited to make it now. In a bit I'm going to brown the entire lb and save it to make soups during the week and (since I am eating eggs) use in omelets. I don't think I'll add spinach to my soup (although I love it) simply b/c I'm trying to limit my veggies right now; I'm not purely meat only but inspired by all of you am certainly trying to veer in that direction. I may add hot pepper flakes (even though I bought ground sausage with hot pepper) and a TBS of chopped onion and a mushroom or two to season the soup tonight. Anyway, thanks so much for sharing this idea, metqa.

Last edited by LolaGetz; 04-08-2014 at 09:16 AM..
Old 04-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Julie, you are really rockin this woe! Congratulations on being down 1.1 today!

Hey Lola! The only time I worry about not eating is before Church on Sunday. Even though I will have breakfast after Church if I don't eat something before hand my stomach growls so loud it is darn right embarrassing. Other than that while I am at work everyone eats a snack at 9 and lunch at 11. So I eat then too and I am always hungry at those times. Now dinner at home if I am hungry I eat and if I am not I don't. I never worry about not eating any other time.

Metqa, that meat sounds familiar now that you say it is all chopped up. Quite awhile back, maybe a year ago I bought some meat like that. It too was somewhat chewy and then some tender meat with it. I remember I liked it better that just ground beef just for the texture. Will have to check it out again.

I ended up bringing tuna salad to work and did not fall into the temptation of the pizza and cake.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Julie, you are really rockin this woe! Congratulations on being down 1.1 today!

I ended up bringing tuna salad to work and did not fall into the temptation of the pizza and cake.
Abigale --You did it - great job!!
Thanks for the congrats!
So far, the coffee change, I think has been the best I've done...its
the last thing I had to give up, I really loved from my pre-lc lifestyle

my stats
cal 1,178 fat 87.9 carbs 3.5 prot 91.1
Old 04-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaGetz View Post
metqa, just popping back in to tell you that, inspired by your mention of sausage and spinach soup a while back, I finally bought a lb of sausage meat at the market last week.
I made something similar with escarole and sausage...Also used the
low carb noodles... It turned out pretty good, I say this because even
DH liked it, the food critic of the family... lol
Old 04-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #114

Glad to be inspirational. I don't know how much you are limiting yourself, but when I make the Beeb's Tuscano Soup, it makes about six cups and has only one of those small blocks of spinach or about 10-12 oz. It's really not much IMO, but tastes vary, Its about two oz of cooked spinach per serving.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:19 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning gang!

Bringing ground beef for lunch today. I ended up freezing about 6 individual batches after DH made the pot roast. I knew I would be eating pot roast for a few days and did not want the two pounds of ground beef to go bad. I works great in my lunch box because it stays cold but is thawed out by 11 am lunch break.

Have a great day all! Will check in after work.

March 27 start: -1, -.6, -.2, -.8 -.8, 0, -6, -.6, +.2, 0, +.2, 0, -.2, 0
Old 04-09-2014, 05:44 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Down .4 today, happy because the scale is going downward..
About once a week I have a large hamburger with butter, broiled...

Ladies/Gents - - hope you see losses today!

Old 04-09-2014, 05:51 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Metqa, I wanted to report that I cooked the hot sausage and had some of it plain for lunch yesterday. It was incredibly yummy. I ended up not making the soup for dinner and instead just cooked a 2 egg omelette topped with some of the sausage and a little cheese. It was so tasty that I've decided I like sausage even better than bacon which honestly surprises me. I hardly ever ate ground sausage before and only would very rarely have it when eating breakfast at a restaurant. Somehow the sausage patties served with scrambled eggs always seemed rather dry and unappealing. But the crumbled hot sausage I cooked yesterday tasted so good that I'm going out and buying two more pounds today! What a revelation all this has been. I'm sure I'll get around to making the soup at some point but right now I want to have more of that plain sausage for lunch again today. And I never would have even tried this if it hadn't been for you. You certainly have broadened my horizons.

Have a great day all.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #118

I KNOW. Plain crumbled sausage is so much better than any links or patties! I like to make scotch eggs with it.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:06 AM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

Still bouncing around here. I am seriously thinking of dropping salt temporarily to see if that is my problem. I hate to do that because I have dropped so many things. I am going to give it some serious thought today.

Julie, you are keeping us all motivated with your losses everyday! Keep it up!

I also love sausage and the soup recipe sounds delicious!

Have a great day all! I will check back after work.

March 27 start: -1, -.6, -.2, -.8 -.8, 0, -6, -.6, +.2, 0, +.2, 0, -.2, 0, +.4
Old 04-10-2014, 02:36 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Be careful with that. We do need some salt in our diet, how much depends on the person.

P.s. do you always wake up at 4 am?
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote