Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2014, 02:42 AM   #601
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Cindy, glad you had a good first day! What kind of work do you do?

Just cooked my oopsie buns and will probably have a hamburger again for lunch.

Julie, I love salads with ham or chicken in them!

Have a great day!
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2014, 07:44 AM   #602
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jblanken
Stats: 248/184.7/120 5'6.5"
WOE: Atkins,LC,IF,EFGT
Start Date: 2006-LC,restart 9/2014
Hello and Good Morning Ladies
Abigale - love salads with olive oil, NC vinegar any meat on that is good!
Cindy - hope all is well on your new WOE.

planned for today
B: coffee/creams
L: egg salad, 1/2C lettuce
D: steak

I have been researching Alzheimers, since this is the struggle my Mom had.
I was wondering when all this starts. At UCSF they had an article which tried to explain this even though they really don't know it said, "Although we still don’t know what starts the disease process, we do know that damage to the brain begins as many as 10 to 20 years before any problems are evident."

So in my estimation, this time frame for me is right now. What can I do? I am following Dr Perlmutter's advice. I think it comes down to diet & exercise which Dr Perlmutter advises in his book. My Mother didn't know about low carb, her diet was full of complex carbs, i.e., processed foods, sugar and white flour. She followed the diet of the day HC/LF.
She even started exercising at my age. So this means I have to do both LC/HF diet & exercise, if I have a chance.

Have a great day!!

Julie
jblanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #603
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Abigale, I've been reading a book me to clarity. One doctor, Dr terry walls states, `Humans went into ketosis every winter for thousands of generations. Being in a low level of ketosis is the more natural state for our metabolism. We do have metabolic flexibility and can operate on amino acids, glucose, or fat.` Maybe this is why I loose more easily in cold months...hmmm
Old 08-15-2014, 02:32 AM   #604
Major LCF Poster!

Interesting Julie. I have gone low carb a lot over the years but it was in 2008 I got serious about it as a way of life because I wanted to protect myself from alzheimers and cancer. When I have fallen off the wagon it is this thought that brings me back more than losing weight. It really does help to read and study about the health benefits doesn't it. Like giving yourself a pep talk as you watch everyone around you eating carbs. It is not easy but it is the right thing to do.

Have a great day!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:52 AM   #605
Major LCF Poster!

Abigale, Sorry the book was called keto clarity, I sent from my kindle and it changes my words sometimes... I love to read! It helps to read others going through the same things doesn't it? I like to know what the research says...

B: coffee/creamer
S: coconut oil, diet sprite
L: deviled eggs, bacon
D: want lobster but if I don't get to store its steak...

Have a great day!!!
Old 08-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #606
Major LCF Poster!

I am trying something new. I made a batch of oopsie buns today using just the 3 eggs and no mayo or cream cheese. They are passable. Dry, sort of crunchy like paper. lol I bought some deviled ham to spread on them which I like a lot. I was looking for something with a lot of flavor, that would spread easily and be low carb. I haven't had any for years. Forgot how much I liked it.

Will check back later!
Old 08-17-2014, 02:23 AM   #607
Major LCF Poster!

Yesterday I discovered that if I take an oopsie like I am making them now, no fat in the recipe, just 3 eggs and roll them flat after cooking and cooling ( I just flattened one with my hand) they could be rolled in half like a soft taco. So this morning I made two large pancake shapes with half the batter. Later I am going to try these as wraps maybe with some tuna salad. Last winter or fall I was trying different wrap recipes with eggs, coconut flour etc. Never was very happy with them. I will let you know later how these are.

Have a great day gang!
Old 08-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #608
Major LCF Poster!

Well folks here is my oopsie wrap experiment below. I got two wraps and two buns out of 3 eggs. I usually get 6 buns out the 3 eggs. So I made the tuna wrap by using the rolling pin and putting one of the large cooked oopsies between two pieces of parchment paper. I got just about the thickness of a wrap without too much trouble. It rolled up very well without cracking, quite pliable. The texture is hard to describe, almost like paper. Quite dry. I actually like it better than a real wrap. I have never had very many wraps always trying to avoid the carby bread but they have always seemed like wet cardboard to me. lol

When I make a sandwich with two buns it is always too much "bread". I will be making the wraps again. A much lighter sandwich.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (36.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (48.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-18-2014, 02:54 AM   #609
Major LCF Poster!

Well gang, I am back to the drawing board on the wraps. I spread the batter too thin today and over cooked them. They were not pliable at all. Tomorrow I will make them more like my regular buns and cook them at a lower temps and not as long. I am determined to get the recipe right! lol

I am down a pound this week though. Happy about that!
Old 08-18-2014, 06:19 AM   #610
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
I am down a pound this week though. Happy about that!
Good luck on the recipes your trying, they look & sound good.

awesome on your loss!!
Old 08-18-2014, 06:21 AM   #611
Major LCF Poster!

Well after cheating on Saturday, I did a fat fast yesterday and today
I am in ketosis. Will stay on this until next Monday when I am in
Florida for the week...

Today will continue the fat fast until evening meal when I plan
to have either lobster or steak and eggs.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #612
Major LCF Poster!

Good going on being in ketosis. Fat fasts are great for that! Enjoy that lobster or steak and eggs tonight!
Old 08-19-2014, 02:53 AM   #613
Major LCF Poster!

Well, I am down another pound today so it looks like besides being low carb and in ketosis, dropping my calories is doing the trick.

I went back to the drawing board today on the wraps. Just made two huge oopsies. Kept them fairly thick. Used the same temp and time. 350 degrees and 11 minutes on both sides. This time they did not burn. I rolled them out thin and they stayed pliable. I think you have to roll them with in a few hours judging by how mine were on my first attempt on Sunday. They were pliable 7 hours after I made them leaving them under some parchment paper on the counter but several hours after that they had dried up more and started cracking. So I guess this will be my final tweek.

Chicken salad wrap for lunch today. Have a great day!
Old 08-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #614
Major LCF Poster!

Wow awesome Abigale on your losses, so happy for you....KUTGW!

17 year teen age son is driving me nuts right now with his naivety with his older friend. Of course he listens to his friend sometimes and his friend isn't always the best with advice, since his friend has made bad choices in the past... Oh well its the joys of parenthood.

I should exercise, but with work and home am tired when I get home...
I do walk at work and this helps...maybe tonight...
I am staying on my HF/LC WOE though so something is going well...
Not weighing until Friday so I have a baseline before I go to FL...
Old 08-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #615
Major LCF Poster!

Oh boy Julie, raising a teenager is very challenging! My DD has 3 teenage children now and one in college. She and her DH try to keep them so busy with soccer, volley ball, part time jobs that they don't act up too much. I am exhausted just hearing about what they are up to and what the parents are doing to make this all happen.

Last edited by Abigale; 08-19-2014 at 03:43 PM..
Old 08-20-2014, 03:31 AM   #616
Major LCF Poster!

Lost my first post. Ugh, hate when that happens.

Egg salad wrap for lunch, pork skins for snack, maybe a salad and a little chees for dinner.

I am down another pound today. This will not keep up I know but I am happy it is happening after weeks of very slow loss.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #617
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindysandia
Stats: 237 goal 125...size 16
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 09/18/2014
I am so sorry I haven't posted in a while...ive been dealing with another addiction...smoking....so I have been trying to get over that first before I commit to this...ive been smoke free for 4 days and counting...yay....loving it...
cynthia
cindysandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:14 AM   #618
Major LCF Poster!

Cynthia, good for you! You will be so much healthier and think of the money you will be saving!

Oopsie buns with deviled ham spread on them for lunch, pork skins for snack. Just had one for breakfast too.

Still in ketosis and down 2 oz this morning. Yay, I am so happy I am on the downward trend finally. I am pretty sure my muffin top is slowly receding too.

Have a great day gang!
Old 08-21-2014, 05:28 AM   #619
Major LCF Poster!

Doing pretty good during the day but slip sometimes at night. I get a chance to do better everyday. Yesterday I did exercise at work a bunch. Just getting everything ready so we can go to FL on Saturday AM. We are driving down. We have 3 drivers and it takes us about 15 hours. My oldest is a senior this year, how does the time fly by? I cried when he got on the bus the first time...lol...mothers...!

Fat Fast today and tomorrow...will weigh in on Saturday am...

Cyndia - good for you to do one at a time, I can't do more than one!!! I know the feeling.

Abigail - congrats on your losses! I'm still reading the ketosis book I mentioned. The author lost 78 pounds in a year...wow
Old 08-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #620
Senior LCF Member

Abigale...what are oopsie buns?...Hope everyone is doing great
Old 08-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #621
Major LCF Poster!

Cindy, in 1972 Dr. Atkins gave a recipe for revolution rolls in his original low carb book of rolls made with eggs and cottage cheese. Cleochatra, a wonderful, funny lady who has posted on this site for years used cream cheese by mistake and the oopsie buns were born! These oopsie buns have been the discussed and tweeked on several threads. You can read all about some of the tweeks here.

friends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/751928-oopsie-rolls.html

Now I am trying to cut my calories along with the carbs so I am only separating 3 eggs and whip the whites with an electric mixer until stiff. I don't put any cream of tartar, splends, or cream cheese in mine - just 3 eggs. Then I whip the yolks with the same mixer and use a rubber spatula to fold them gently together. On a non stick aluminum foil covered baking sheet I put 6 blobs down and smooth them out a little so they look like 6 fat muffins and bake them at 350 for 11 minutes, flip them over and cook for another 11 minutes. What you get is a strange merinque texture buscuit. They don't taste eggy the way I make them. They are filling and can be used as a bun, or if rolled thin used a wrap. You can't be fussy. If you miss bread, sandwiches etc. they really can be a big help but they are nothing like bread. I find them filling and lately have been spreading some deviled ham on them and having them for lunch at work.

Last edited by Abigale; 08-21-2014 at 03:49 PM..
Old 08-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #622
Major LCF Poster!

Here is another link Cindy about oopsie buns.

Uses for oopsie rolls (recipe thread)
Old 08-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #623
Senior LCF Member

thank you so much
Old 08-22-2014, 03:05 AM   #624
Major LCF Poster!

Your welcome Cindy!

TGIF everyone! It has been a tough week for me. Hope yours was better.

Bringing oopsie open face sandwiches to work today. Spread them with spicy brown mustard and topped with thin slices of corned beef. The kind that comes in the can. They remind me of the taste of hot dogs and mustard.

Have a great day!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:45 AM   #625
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
TGIF everyone! It has been a tough week for me. Hope yours was better.
Bringing oopsie open face sandwiches to work today. Spread them with spicy brown mustard and topped with thin slices of corned beef. The kind that comes in the can. They remind me of the taste of hot dogs and mustard.
Have a great day!
Abigale - ditto on TGIF! Those sandwiches sound great!

Reading an article on sleep and weight loss on about . com called "Sleep More, Lose Weight" very interesting on women that don't get enough sleep do not lose weight.

Have a great day and weekend!
Old 08-23-2014, 06:26 AM   #626
Major LCF Poster!

Julie, I have read about that before. Wish I could sleep better. I'm good usually for a couple of hours at a time. I know I if I don't get at least one session of 3 hours of rem sleep I am not doing good.

Gave into temptation last night for some strange reason - just Friday night exhaustion? DH likes to have a container of peanuts next to his recliner. I have ignored them for months but had a pretty good binge on them last night. Oh well, back to clean eating today!

Have a good one!
Old 08-24-2014, 02:54 AM   #627
Major LCF Poster!

Still in ketosis despite the Friday night peanut binge. Up a pound but last week I went from what I call "one decade" to a lower one. So if I can maintain at this lower level for awhile and not bounce back up to the higher decade I will be happy.

Yesterday on another thread someone posted some "health guidelines" from an article they had just read and wanted everyone's opinion. This was my comment from one of the statements in the article.

Item number 3 says "Whole grains also supply the body with antioxidants to protect cells from damaging chemicals that contribute to aging and disease."

The writer of the article like most nutritionists, Dr.s, and dieticians are unaware of the dangers of wheat.

Dr. Bill Davis who wrote Wheat Belly has an excellent article called Gliadin:the Universal Human Poison.

google this article if you get a chance.

He explains the study by Dr.Alessio Fasano who deciphered the fact that the gliadin protein in wheat makes the small intestine permealble. Foreign substances enter the bloodsteam there and travel to parts of the body causing autoimmune diseases. They can test the blood to see if the intestines are permeable by testing for the protein zonulin. Celiacs show increased amount of zonulin. The problem is zonulin levels are increased now in people that don't have celiac disease. He has a very long list of autoimmune diseases listed in his article caused by the gliadin in wheat.

Some of these are Fibromyalgia, lupis and multiple scerosis.

.................................................. .................................................. .........................

Now if that doesn't keep me from eating anything with wheat in it, I don't know what will!
I know from personal experience when I fall off the wagon I have a hip that starts to really pain me. Inflammation settling there?

Two oopsie hamburgers, an oz of real sharp cheddar cheese and a salad yesterday.

Have a great day gang!
Old 08-25-2014, 03:00 AM   #628
Major LCF Poster!

Running late today!

oopsies with corned beef and spicy brown mustard for lunch.

Have a great day gang!
Old 08-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #629
Major LCF Poster!

Hope you all have had a good day!

Now that we are having to be at work at 6am I will probably be posting at night rather than the morning except on weekends. It will feel strange. lol

Talk to you all later.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #630
Major LCF Poster!

Very busy day at work. Phew! We made 1000 tea lights and then I went to shipping to help out.

Oopsie sandwiches for lunch and dinner with corned beef and cheese. Still in kekosis and staying in the lower decade so that makes me happy.

Tomorrow may be a tuna salad day.

Have a great day gang!

Last edited by Abigale; 08-27-2014 at 03:59 PM..