Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tracy0821
Stats: 296/270/? 150 maybe less?
WOE: Low Carb
I have basically been eating only meat since March 1. I am down 20 pounds.
Tracy0821 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Wow Tracy! That is fantastic! You are inspiring me. What kind of meat do you like to eat?
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: justme_sara
Stats: 210/186/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
I became interested in 2008 of an all meat diet after reading about Vilhjalmur Stefansson. He was a Canadian explorer and wrote "Not by Bread Alone" and "The Fat of the Land".

To prove his findings that some societies were healthy on an all meat, its entrails and fish diet he agreed to eat this way himself for a year being monitored at Bellvue Hospital in New York City. He ate around 25% protein with 75 to 85% fat. When the study tried to feed him just lean meat it made him sick. He made sure to include different parts of the animal including the brain, liver, and kidneys.
What were the results?!
justme_sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Sara!

You can read more about him on wikipedia. Here is a quote on there about the results of the study.

" The results were published in the Journal, and both men were perfectly healthy on such a diet, without vitamin supplementation or anything else in their diet except meat and entrails."
Old 03-30-2014, 02:26 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Hey gang!

Today I will be treating myself with two eggs with my bacon and cream in my coffee. Every sunday after church my brother, sister in law and any other family member that is available go out for breakfast. I always order the same thing, just two scrambled eggs and a side of bacon. Our waitress even asks me"the usual?" lol I won't be eating any eggs or having cream in my coffee until next sunday.

Yesterday I cooked up a container of chicken livers. It was a nice taste change from the ground beef.

I am down 1/2 pound today.

Harvard school of public health has a site called The Nutrition Source. This is a quote from them.

"Animal sources of protein tend to deliver all the amino acids we need."

I am down 1/2 pound today!

Talk to you all later!

March 27 start: -1, -.6, -.2, -.8

Last edited by Abigale; 03-30-2014 at 02:30 AM..
Old 03-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerickson
Stats: 195/183/125?
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Sept. 1, 2014 re-start
I am going to give this a try for a week to see if it will help me lose some pounds on the scale, 4 weeks in induction has made me fit my clothes better but no losses on the scale! Hopefully this will do it!
jerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Best wishes Jessica!
Old 03-30-2014, 01:08 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pickles1010
Stats: 198 /190.5 /160 5'8
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: Jan. 2004/ Restart:Jan 2014
Starting tomorrow. Oh I love Chicken Livers, actually all Liver, but I thought it had a higher carb count where meat does have 0 carbs.
pickles1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Monika!

I think the whole container I cooked may have had 3 carbs and it will take me a few days to eat them all. One carb counter I looked at said 100 grams cooked would be .87 grams. I don't even think about calories when I do all meat so I think the calories end up lower than a mixture of foods too.

I think it is extra healthy if you can eat liver, heart and other parts of the animals.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Yes chicken liver is 1.3 net carbs for 4 ounces pan fried according to my Atkins Carb Counter. I love it too, but am probably going to try to stick to the 0 carb meats for the next week!
Old 03-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

I ate just plain ground beef for weeks when I did this before and had good results Jessica!
Old 03-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

I plan to eat a lot of hamburgers as well, we are grilling tonight and I am making up quite a few ahead of time to be prepared to start tomorrow! Thanks for the support!
Old 03-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Having several days all cooked up and ready to warm up is the best way for me not to fall off the wagon
Old 03-31-2014, 01:07 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Monday everyone!

I am down another half pound so that makes me happy. I'd love the weight to be gone yesterday but need to be patient.

I am packing ground beef and some chicken livers for lunch today and will bring along some pork skins for a snack. Black coffee to drink. My trick to drink my coffee black is to drink it out of cup with a white lid so when I look down at it I can pretend it has cream in it. lol

Have a great day!

March 27 start: -1, -.6, -.2, -.8 -.8

Last edited by Abigale; 03-31-2014 at 01:09 AM..
Old 03-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: justme_sara
Stats: 210/186/150
Start Date: March 2014
Happy Monday everyone!

This weekend was a struggle for me food wise. We are pretty low on funds (DH doesn't get paid till this thursday) - so I was having some "snack attacks" and the chips & stuff we have in the house for DH was REALLY calling to me, BUT I resisted

Had grilled pork chops last night for dinner & Taco "salad" the night before. Both were delicious. I've got to get better at having things already cooked and ready to just grab & warm up. That's where my biggest downfall is. When I'm hungry, I want something quick & now!!

Congrats abigale on the continued loss
justme_sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:35 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Oh boy, Sara, I too am the same way, if I am hungry i also want it quick and now!

I am determined to have some ground beef and chicken livers in the frig at all times already cooked. It is going to keep me on the straight and narrow!

Thanks for the congrats! Even if it is only afew ounces, as long as it is heading down I am going to be happy!

Last edited by Abigale; 03-31-2014 at 01:36 PM..
Old 03-31-2014, 02:06 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Ohhh dear I really take living alone for granted, never having any evil high-carb items in the house Kudos to all you guys who have it around you and still manage to stick with it.

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 03-31-2014 at 02:07 PM..
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:19 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, Geiri, it is very tough when the other people in the home love sweets, all carby snacks and in my case I have to buy it for them.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #49
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lhutch47
I'm rather new to this way of eating and I've never heard of the all meat eating. Does that mean that you don't have any vegetables at all? I love them and I think I may be eating too many so I'm thinking this may help me in my lack of weight loss. I get frustrated because I don't cheat, but the scale still doesn't move very much at all. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
lhutch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:09 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

When I am eating just meat and fish I don't eat any vegetables. See post #28 about Vilhjalmur Stefansson. If you get a chance, do some research on his studies. He went a year eating only meat and it's entrails and was monitored by Bellvue Hospital in NY City in 1929. The important thing is his protein was 25% of his diet and fat was the other 75 to 85%. So the meat needs to be fatty and adding coconut oil to your hot drinks like coffee will keep an all meat diet healthier.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:35 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

If you can tolerate dairy well then you might want to have the meat with fatty sauces with ingredients like cream, cheese and butter. I don't like to eat fatty meat so instead I add the fat with delicious sauces like Béarnaise and garlic butter.

I eat two full meals a day, both of which are just meats (including fish and chicken) with sauces. Sometimes I have small amounts of veggies in the sauces like when I make mushroom sauce but I never have it as a side dish or main meal. My carb intake from veggies is never more than maybe 1-2 grams a day. I then get few from spices and few from the dairies. I'm pretty much always under 10 grams a day and after this change my 2 months of stalling stopped and I started losing again. Usually the two meals is enough but if I have to snack in the evening I usually have a boiled egg.

Quote:
Yes, Geiri, it is very tough when the other people in the home love sweets, all carby snacks and in my case I have to buy it for them.
Although I love dried fish with butter as a snack it can be difficult on those movie nights sticking to it while the smell of popcorn takes over the room.

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 03-31-2014 at 03:48 PM..
Old 03-31-2014, 03:44 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Oh my gosh, next to the smell of pizza, pop corn is the most tempting. Hang in there with the dried fish with butter! It will be worth it in the end!
Old 03-31-2014, 03:49 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Oh my gosh, next to the smell of pizza, pop corn is the most tempting. Hang in there with the dried fish with butter! It will be worth it in the end!
The weird thing is I have always liked the fish snack better but there is just something about the popcorn smell that calls your name It has never made me fall of the wagon though.

And yeah I agree with the pizza smell! The first thing I did when I stopped my earlier attempt to low-carb was order a pizza! Ahhh!

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 03-31-2014 at 03:50 PM..
Old 04-01-2014, 01:04 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Pizza is one of my downfalls too. The place where I work provides a free lunch and cake once a month to celebrate the birthdays of the month. That will be next Tuesday. I am hoping to be strong enough by then not to give into temptation!

Well, in the US today is called April Fool's day and people play pranks. Once when we were kids we put sugar in the salt shaker to fool our Dad. lol Well the scale has played a trick on me today and I am down zero. Oh well I know these days are going to happen.

More ground beef, chicken livers and pork skins again today.

Talk to you all later! Have a great Tuesday all!

March 27 start: -1, -.6, -.2, -.8 -.8, 0
Old 04-01-2014, 01:10 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

We have it also here. Strange but I skipped going on it this morning and I usually do it every day. I guess it's for the better
Old 04-01-2014, 01:28 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

You are up early! It is 4:27 right here on the east coast. Are you on the same time zone in Iceland?
Old 04-01-2014, 01:48 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Ahhh not even close we are 4 hours ahead of you
Old 04-01-2014, 04:45 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tracy0821
Stats: 296/270/? 150 maybe less?
WOE: Low Carb
March 1 I weighed 296. Today I weigh 270. I have been eating only meat and eggs and some cheese when I have steak.
One week I ate bacon and eggs every day and had turkey and salmon at evening time. The next week I gave the bacon up and had eggs only in morning and then ate steak tips or shaved steak with cheese. This week I'm going back to the bacon and eggs and turkey and salmon because I did better. I'm going to add my green beans into it this week. But mostly I have hardly any carbs. I drink 2-3 coffees a day also. If I have one meal with high fat and other with low ( bacon and eggs morning and turkey for rest ) I seem to lose more. 26 pounds down and I haven't had any stomach aches

Tracy
Tracy0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #59
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiri View Post
If you can tolerate dairy well then you might want to have the meat with fatty sauces with ingredients like cream, cheese and butter. I don't like to eat fatty meat so instead I add the fat with delicious sauces like Béarnaise and garlic butter.

I eat two full meals a day, both of which are just meats (including fish and chicken) with sauces. Sometimes I have small amounts of veggies in the sauces like when I make mushroom sauce but I never have it as a side dish or main meal. My carb intake from veggies is never more than maybe 1-2 grams a day. I then get few from spices and few from the dairies. I'm pretty much always under 10 grams a day and after this change my 2 months of stalling stopped and I started losing again. Usually the two meals is enough but if I have to snack in the evening I usually have a boiled egg.

Although I love dried fish with butter as a snack it can be difficult on those movie nights sticking to it while the smell of popcorn takes over the room.
I'd like to go this route. I've got vegetables and dairy in my fridge waiting to be processed into soups and fermented beverage, But I can't let my celery, salad greens, squash and broccoli go off just because I want to start now, so I'm just focusing on meat and using up my perishible veggies and making my kefir and greek yogurt to store.

Also, I have a couple of jars with half contents of cream sauces I was using to make up some freezer meals, so I'm going to use them up or freeze them with portions for later.

I'm starting my plants for spring and summer garden, I know the veggies are not required but I don't see the harm in having a little bit of dark green vegetables like a handful of spinach and kale greens. one of my favorite soups is essentially pork sausage in broth with cut spinach.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 04-01-2014 at 01:30 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Tracy, fantastic on the 26 pounds down!