Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 04:21 AM   #301
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Julie, hope that your weather yesterday was as lovely as ours was in New Hampshire. I got some pictures of Goldfinches and a Hummingbird at our feeders.

I did have some tuna with pork skins for lunch and we cooked out rib eyes for dinner. We rarely have steak so it was especially delicious. I think we are going to cook out chicken drum sticks today so I will be eating them all week again. lol

Will check back later. Have a great day gang!

March 27 start: -1, -.6, -.2, -.8 -.8, 0, -.6, -.6, +.2, 0, +.2, 0, -.2, 0, +.4, -.2, +.2, -1.2, +1, -.2, -.8
(total lost so far 5.8 lbs.)
-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2, 0, -.4, ..., ..., ..., +2.6, -.4, +1, 0, +.6, 0, -.8. -.8, -.8, -.2, +.4, -.2, +1, +1, -.2, +1.2, -.6, -.2, -.4, 0

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2014, 06:28 AM   #302
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jblanken
Stats: 248/184.7/120 5'6.5"
WOE: Atkins,LC,IF,EFGT
Start Date: 2006-LC,restart 9/2014
Hello Ladies!

Hope you are all on plan and see losses! I myself am waiting to get into deep ketosis and then will get on scale...

Abigale - a lovely sunny Saturday and looks like another one today, wonderful!

Pork ribs turned out yummy in crock pot yesterday. I used the Walden Farms ketchup since it tastes like my Mom's barbeque recipe... My son turned these ribs into a sandwich!

I'm going to try pork skins again soon. I did like them but for some reason(probably other carbs) stalled on the weight loss.
jblanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:44 AM   #303
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning gang!

Boy, the weekend was too short! No loss, no gain here. We cooked out chicken drumsticks yesterday so I am bringing some for lunch. Tuna salad with pork skins for breakfast/snack at 9.

Julie, I love pulled pork! Do you just dump the Walden's farm catsup over the pork and cook it in the crock pot like that?

Below are the photos of the Goldfinches and Hummingbird I took Saturday.

Have a great day all!

March 27 start: -1, -.6, -.2, -.8 -.8, 0, -.6, -.6, +.2, 0, +.2, 0, -.2, 0, +.4, -.2, +.2, -1.2, +1, -.2, -.8
-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2, 0, -.4, ..., ..., ..., +2.6, -.4, +1, 0, +.6, 0, -.8. -.8, -.8, -.2, +.4, -.2, +1, +1, -.2, +1.2, -.6, -.2, -.4, 0, 0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (93.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (101.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 017.jpg (67.0 KB, 6 views)
Abigale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #304
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: justme_sara
Stats: 210/186/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2014
Good Morning All --

Thank you Abigale for the sweet "mother" compliment, all I can do every day is my best because that's what she deserves. And yes, the weekend was WAY too short! We do have a 3 day weekend this coming weekend for Memorial day, so I'm counting down the days!

The birds are so pretty!! I'm SO ready to get the inside of our house complete (or at least to a stopping point) so I can do some work outside.

Julie - I like the mantra, sometimes someone else's words really do hit home and start a spark to just keep pushing! The pulled pork sounds delicious! Any special recipe or just put it all in the crock pot, dump the ketchup on top and let it go?

Cheryl - Hope you are well and over the ickiness you had last week. Were you able to try any of the soup?

I made induction friendly pizza this weekend, I enjoyed it (although it definitely was not "real" pizza) but it hit the spot. Hubby wasn't impressed with the crust, said it was too "eggy" - but at least now when I make him real pizza I can still indulge with this crust. First picture is of the crust itself fresh from the oven, the second picture is the finished Pizza (half sausage/half cheese) Also made a favorite Guy Fieri recipe that I "low carbanized.." called -Pork O'ulet.. it's kinds like a pork stew and it is flipping delicoius. The seasonings & sherry wine really make it. I literally drink the au jus that is leftover, it's THAT good! Then I'll use any leftovers (usually there aren't any!!) for pork tacos/taco salad and pulled pork sandwiches or salad. Usually I use Pork Butt or Shoulder but that has been REALLY expensive the last few weeks, and I found some boneless Country Style Pork Ribs for $.89 a lb and used those this time, it was fantastic. Actually liked it better than the pork shoulder - No pictures of that though Trying to get better at taking pictures of my food..

Hope you all see losses today - sitting @ 187 - but losing inches (centimeters is more like it, but losing is losing!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pizza Crust LC.jpg (70.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Finished Pizza LC.jpg (58.4 KB, 3 views)
justme_sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #305
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme_sara View Post
Julie - I like the mantra, sometimes someone else's words really do hit home and start a spark to just keep pushing! The pulled pork sounds delicious! Any special recipe or just put it all in the crock pot, dump the ketchup on top and let it go?
Sara/Abigale,
Yep dump it all in and pretty much let it go on low until it pulls from the bone...
I put half an onion in for the flavor... Smell was wonderful!

That pizza looks great!

Plan to get on the scale Wednesday after I get back into ketosis....

Hope you all see losses today!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #306
Major LCF Poster!

Just got off the phone with internist, he reassured me that he didn't think anything was wrong with my heart because my blood work and echo looked fine, but the cardiologist was cautious, which is good. So now I feel better.

Feeling better since I started jogging again, it really helps for my stress!

Have a great day!!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:38 AM   #307
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Cherylg
Stats: 214/186/165
Start Date: Every Monday
Hey, all! Really busy today -

Julie - good news!

Sara - pizza looks so good! I am trying to really eat basic but I will try that when I get back from NY

Abigale - are those pics your backyard? It looks soo nice.
Cherylg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #308
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
Below are the photos of the Goldfinches and Hummingbird I took Saturday.
Abigale - those pics are so sweet!
Old 05-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #309
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pictures are out my kitchen window over the sink and face the front of the house! I love this view! Thanks for the nice comments about the sweet little bird photos!
Old 05-20-2014, 02:47 AM   #310
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sara, you really are a gourmet cook! Your pizza crust looks amazing and your pork dish with the sherry sure sounds delicious! How is your kitchen coming along?

Julie, so happy to hear the internist says your heart tests look good! What a weight off your mind! Hope the scale is good to you in the morning!

Cheryl, how is your day going?

Tuna salad with pork rinds and left over chicken legs for me today.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2, 0, -.4, ..., ..., ..., +2.6, -.4, +1, 0, +.6, 0, -.8. -.8, -.8, -.2, +.4, -.2, +1, +1, -.2, +1.2, -.6, -.2, -.4, 0, 0, -1
Old 05-20-2014, 06:50 AM   #311
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning ladies - hope everyone is on plan today...

Well I was feeling pretty good yesterday until the cardiologist called at 4pm and said I had an Atrial fibrillation. What a up/down emotional day I had. He wants to put me on the lowest dosage and see how it goes... As an emotional eater that I sometimes am I ate some strawberries last night... But I guess I could have done much worse... Now I really have to get this weight off.... I did a 45 minute walk on the boardwalk yesterday and needed it for the stress!

Hope we all see losses or it we are maintaining hold steady today!!

Julie
Old 05-20-2014, 07:41 AM   #312
Senior LCF Member

Morning all -

Julie - so sorry to hear about the stressful/emotional days you've been having lately. It is good that you enjoy exercise, nothing better than a good walk to get some stress out. I've found chopping down a little tree, punching a pillow over and over, or scrubbing my bathtub REALLY hard make good stress relievers also Have they given a reason to why they think this is happening or the cause of it? I definitely think strawberries are a MUCH better choice than say an entire bag of salt & vinegar chips like I tend to do when I get emotional, kudos to your amazing will power! How is your water intake coming along?

Abigale - thank you for the kind comments! I actually am a classic Le Cordon Bleu trained chef just to give you some background info - Since I am in school food service, I don't really get to cook the way I love to much anymore especially since we're on such a tight budget at home too, but it's fun being able to tweak recipes that I love down to low carb & see how they turn out. It's a new experience for me. Since starting this WOE, I have actually gotten very interested in the nutritional side of eating. I have taken several nutrition courses for my degree, but haven't really been "into" it until now. Thinking of looking into some nutritionist jobs or at least nutrition consulting. It would be a change of pace & something to keep me learning.

The kitchen is back at a stand still, BUT, we DO have cabinets (no counter tops or a sink yet) and my stove so I am able to cook finally!! DH cut some ply wood to serve as our counter tops for now. It's not ideal but it's workable!

Cheryl - hope everything is going well for you! KEEP UP YOU WATER INTAKE!!

Hope everyone see's losses today & stays on track -
Old 05-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #313
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am moving along - I guess my metabolism is super slow because no matter how good I am, the scale barely moves which is depressing me.

I bought some lemons and will drink water with lemon all day and stick to small portions lc today. I have a spin class at 5 so hopefully I will see a whoosh in an.

Julie - sorry about the bad news. If all I cheated with was strawberries, I would not be having this problem Mine food of choice would be chips - the whole bag. What does that exactly mean about your heart?

Sara - I always thought a nutritionist would be a great job! Ugh, I know all about renovations - two years ago, I did my kitchen and last y ear, I did both bathrooms.

Abigale - I am doing good! How do you make your tuna salad? I haven't had that in a long time.

Cheryl
Old 05-20-2014, 08:59 AM   #314
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Sara/Cheryl
Thanks for the good thoughts/words... This is a frustrating time for me. I have none of the so called causes, except for a grandfather that had fluid around his heart, but that side of the family doesn't talk about any medical stuff...so more frustration... I am getting ready to get a 2nd opinion and if I can't wait until 6/5 dr appt to get answers I will call the doctor. I may pick the nurse practitioner brain this thursday during stress test. I don't really like to call on the phone but ask these questions in person.

Sara, I like your idea to bust out the stress!!!
Old 05-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #315
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Julie - your stats show over a 60 lb loss? Girl, you are doing terrific! I hope they can explain this to you and definitely get that 2nd opinion! Walking is probably one of the best things you can do! Hang in there!
Old 05-21-2014, 02:34 AM   #316
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Julie, hope when you get your second opinion the news will be good. The long walk on the boardwalk was a great way to combat the stress. What happened that they checked your heart for problems. Was it just a routine physical? Sure wish I could stick to strawberries when stress hits!

Sara, what a great background you have in food prep. Making low carb dishes taste extra good is an added benefit to us!

Cheryl, I think my metabolism is slower than yours even. If the lemon water helps let me know. When I make tuna salad for DH I add chopped up celery and a little onion plus mayo. Very simple. When I make it for myself I just add mayo and scoop it up with pork rinds. I buy the light tuna.

More tuna, some left over steak and chicken legs today.

Have a great day gang!

-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2, 0, -.4, ..., ..., ..., +2.6, -.4, +1, 0, +.6, 0, -.8. -.8, -.8, -.2, +.4, -.2, +1, +1, -.2, +1.2, -.6, -.2, -.4, 0, 0, -1, +.6
Old 05-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #317
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylg View Post
Julie - your stats show over a 60 lb loss? Girl, you are doing terrific! I hope they can explain this to you and definitely get that 2nd opinion! Walking is probably one of the best things you can do! Hang in there!

Thanks Cheryl that was about 6 years ago I lost 85, then with new job(s) I gained 15 back! Hanging in there together!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #318
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
Julie, hope when you get your second opinion the news will be good. The long walk on the boardwalk was a great way to combat the stress. What happened that they checked your heart for problems. Was it just a routine physical? Sure wish I could stick to strawberries when stress hits!
Hi Abigale - still have to schedule the 2nd opinion just wanted a week without taking off for doctors visits... I actually took the walk before the Dr called so this was the best way to help with the stress! I was going in for overdue physical (last one 2yrs) and asked a question on palpitations. So this started all this testing... Still looking (and will ask Dr) why this happened to me. I have none of the regular causes. Maybe I was born underdeveloped heart valves...that's the only one I can see that I fits. Of course the common thing on patients is overweight so I am working this as well. Being overweight doesn't cause this from what I read. With the stress of all this I am so exhausted at night and need a nap after I get home from work. Last night I slept 30-45 minutes after I got home. I sleep really good at night and don't remember waking up at all....

Hope you guys have a great day!!! Have you got plans for the holiday weekend?

Last edited by jblanken; 05-21-2014 at 06:26 AM..
Old 05-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Morning Ladies -

Julie - I HATE not sleeping @ night, then you're exhausted during the day and the cycle continues Enjoy those naps when you can, nothing better for a buzzing brain than a good nap.

Still sitting @ 187.. Nothing new to report, no fun dinners the last few days to post either. SO ready for the weekend already. Do some weeks just seem longer than others? That's how this week is for me.

Cheryl - let us know if the lemon water helps. I'll be looking into that myself if it does!

Hope everyone stays on track today!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #320
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning, all!

Sara - I was definitely in the bathroom more since the lemon in water I am still not really seeing the scale move. I will continue today. I CAN NOT GIVE UP!

Julie - I hope you are doing ok!

Abigale - the lemon in water does help - I just never lost my hunger pains. I get so hungry between meals, it is awful.

BBL
Old 05-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #321
Senior LCF Member

Cheryl -

What is a daily menu look like for you? You shouldn't be hungry between meals, if you are.. eat! Are you following a specific plan (Atkins/South Beach) or are just doing LCHF? Hoping we can band together and figure out if something in your diet is causing the scale to be so turtle like..
Old 05-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #322
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A typical menu:

B:
2 eggs
2 slices of bacon or sausage

L:
4 oz grilled chicken, 4-6 oz hamb patty, sometimes veggie
or I will have a big salad

D -
Pretty much same as lunch

S - SF Jello with Cool Whip or pork rinds

But then I'll cheat and have popcorn, or wine at night, or a handful of pretzels - I need to get more focused, I guess.

I am trying to low calorie, low-carb I have always been a slow loser - Also, I am diabetic so my meds make it even harder to lose.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:24 AM   #323
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey gang!

Some of the family are meeting up with my brother from Georgia for dinner tonight. I usually keep it simple because this is one of the few times I would rather chat than eat. lol

So looking forward to this 3 day weekend!

Chicken legs and tuna with pork skins for break and lunch.

Cheryl, I am not desperate enough yet to go back on the no reward eating but I am pretty sure you would lose some weight before your trip back home. Pick 3 foods, he suggests meat, potato and brocolli. No snacks, absolutely no seasonings. If I were to do it again I would eat ground beef or chicken and a salad I think. Drink black coffee, plain tea or water. Your brain thinks it is fasting without the reward of food tasting good. I have lost 1/2 pound a day before but it is soooo hard. Once a week have a regular meal. Google Whole Health Source: Food Reward: a Dominant Factor in Obesity, Part VII

Have a great day everyone!

-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2, 0, -.4, ..., ..., ..., +2.6, -.4, +1, 0, +.6, 0, -.8. -.8, -.8, -.2, +.4, -.2, +1, +1, -.2, +1.2, -.6, -.2, -.4, 0, 0, -1, +.6 ,+.6

Last edited by Abigale; 05-22-2014 at 02:26 AM..
Old 05-22-2014, 07:24 AM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Morning all -

There's NO WAY I could do the no reward eating thing, I can't do the whole I'm hungry all the time thing. That's awesome if you can do it!!

Cheryl - If you haven't tried it before, google Atkins Induction - That is what I have been doing & I've lost about 23lbs since march. I would have lost more, but I had those two weekend splurdges that set me back quite a bit. The greatest thing about this and the main reason I've been able to stick to it is because you eat when you're hungry. There is no starving yourself or ever a reason that you should be hungry! My will power goes strait down the drain when I get hungry so this WOE keeps that from happening. When I started, I told my DH that I would try it for 2 weeks, seriously stick to it & do it.. I can do anything for 2 weeks.. and then if I don't see any results then I'd figure something else out. I had lost 8lbs by the end of week one! I know a lot of it was water weight, but loss is loss to me!! I'm a snacky type eater & I've got lots of good easy snack recipes you can have or make to grab instead of the popcorn or pretzles - YOU CAN HAVE A GLASS OF WINE @ NIGHT!! I usually have a beer a few times a week with dinner & I still lose! Ok, off my soapbox now

Abigale - hope you enjoy your family time, it's so nice that you get to see them fairly often!

Julie - have you found someone for a second opinion yet? Gotten to try any other "stress" busters yet?!

Hope you all have a great day - I'm playing in our school's "Faculty/Student" basketball game tonight so pray for me and my knees & back!!
Old 05-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #325
Major LCF Poster!

Hello Ladies
I'm doing okay just waiting to take test at 1pm today...
Feel bloated from all the carbs I ate...
I have a 2nd opinion scheduled with a UofPA doctor in the area
so I feel good about that.
Will start back towards ketosis after my stress calms down
and hopefully this will be starting tomorrow.

Have a great day all!
Old 05-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #326
Major LCF Poster!

Yahoo - - the first test was a false positive so the 2nd test was normal!! They were looking for a blockage in the heart and found none! I was actually getting mad because I do all these healthy efforts and others I see are so obese, then why do I have to go through these tests??? But that worry/feelings were all for naught.

I am so happy to get back to the the diet that works! low carb, protein and low calorie diet again! Also, I am adding in the exercise because I like the way it makes me feel and I have a good coach with DH joining me!!

Last edited by jblanken; 05-22-2014 at 04:59 PM..
Old 05-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #327
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Julie, I am so happy the second test came back normal! We know you are just ecstatic over the news!
Old 05-23-2014, 02:48 AM   #328
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We had a nice get together at a restaurant last night with my brother from Georgia. There ended up being 7 from the family there. I got my usual ceasar salad. Just lettuce and dressing.

Sara, the funny thing about the no reward eating is you don't feel hungry as you can eat as much as you need to feel full only at 3 meals and you don't look forward to eating at all because without the seasonings it becomes an eat to live situation instead of live to eat one. The other thing that it makes me think about are the hungry people around the world who would give anything for some meat. Not having salt on it would be the last thing they would think about. I hate that I am so spoiled.

Egg salad and pork skins for me today.

Will pop back in after work. Have a great day gang!

-.4,-.2+.2, -.2, +.2, -.4, +.2, 0, -.4, ..., ..., ..., +2.6, -.4, +1, 0, +.6, 0, -.8. -.8, -.8, -.2, +.4, -.2, +1, +1, -.2, +1.2, -.6, -.2, -.4, 0, 0, -1, +.6 ,+.6, -.4
Old 05-23-2014, 04:17 AM   #329
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning!

I decided I am still going to do the low carb, low calorie but I have to stop agonizing over this just because of my NY trip - I will continue on with my exercising, and food plan and let's see what happens.

Julie - Wonderful news!!! Your whole outlook becomes so positive after report like that! Not too long ago, my dr didn't like my white blood or platelet count. She sent me to a specialist. I was thinking the worst - cancer, etc. The specialist (forget what they call them) said it usually indicates something wrong so I will do a quick test in the office and then send away for further analysis. Guess, what - the quick test proved the lab results were wrong! I was fine - I walked out of the office and started crying - so I know how you feel.

Abigale - no reward eating sounds hard, especially no spices. Perhaps I may try it next week? I am glad you had a nice dinner and did good foodwise! Thanks so much for your help.

Sara - thanks for your advice! Induction has worked for me before, can ypu send me some snack recipes - that would really help! Thanks for your help -

BBL
Old 05-23-2014, 05:58 AM   #330
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylg View Post
Good morning!

I decided I am still going to do the low carb, low calorie but I have to stop agonizing over this just because of my NY trip - I will continue on with my exercising, and food plan and let's see what happens.

Guess, what - the quick test proved the lab results were wrong! I was fine - I walked out of the office and started crying - so I know how you feel.
BBL
Cheryl, sounds like you got a good plan! I'll join you!
Wow that is really scary about the lab results, after that good report you must have been so relieved, to me it feels like coming out of a dark tunnel into the sunlight! I was so happy I got up today and did a jog before I went to work!

Abigale/Sara - Thanks so much you guys are the best!

Have a great day ladiesl!

Last edited by jblanken; 05-23-2014 at 06:00 AM..