Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Challenges! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/)
-   -   UK/Europe/ Middle East 2nd Quarter 2014: Springtime!!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/826540-uk-europe-middle-east-2nd-quarter-2014-springtime.html)

Mimosa23 03-26-2014 02:44 AM

UK/Europe/ Middle East 2nd Quarter 2014: Springtime!!!

Just starting us off!

Mimosa23 03-26-2014 02:48 AM

Can't believe we are in our second quarter of the year already (technically not till April 1st if we go by calendar month...)!

Apparently we're going to have warmer weather by the weekend, which is nice!

Nothing much to say, just that my goals for this quarter will be to lose 10 more lbs, and work on my fitness. I'm trying to be consistent with going to the gym three times a week, so I'm working on that! Going again this evening.

So that's all for today from me, I'm afraid...

My menu:

B: 2 egg, 2 bacon, mayo
L: leftover bolognese with chopped celery
D: omelette with chives and bacon

Have a good day everyone!

xxx Chloe.

Ailuros 03-26-2014 03:00 AM

Thanks for starting spring, Mimosa :).

Lola, my father’s sort of ok, but with Parkinson’s it doesn’t get better.

We still don’t have a working boiler, but we were only without hot water for a couple of days, because we had an immersion heater that we’d never got round to getting connected up. As soon as the boiler died we got someone to come and connect it. It made a huge difference having hot water in the kitchen and being able to have a nice hot bath. They’re working on it all at least, so soon it should all be fixed, I hope. We’ve sort of adapted to the heating (though I’m sick of wearing so many layers) but while the work goes on, the kitchen & dining room are like a building site, so it’s hard to cook and eat properly.

Mimosa23 03-26-2014 03:18 AM

Ailuros, I commend you for your patience during your endless boiler saga! I can't believe it's taking this long! You are a better person than I am, I would have chopped some heads off by now if I were in your shoes.... Sending hugs!

xxx

Amin81 03-26-2014 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lola5k (Post 16850994)
Amin as well great loss :jumpjoy::jumpjoy: We are both around the same weight. I've been struggling with 146/147/148 since Xmas but this week had a good talk to myself and going totally clean for a month and hopefully that will kick start the loss again. Although Sunday will be a difficult one being Mothering Sunday my kids won't buy me chocs or sweets but will probably want me to drink some wine with them. BUT I am having a clean month....

Thanks lola! And you go girl on that clean month. Kick it back in gear!

Ailuros - that boiler drama is just nutty! But just imagine how lovely it will be to peel off all those layers (either once spring hits for real or they get it fixed). :lol:

yay for

Amin81 03-26-2014 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lola5k (Post 16850994)
Amin as well great loss :jumpjoy::jumpjoy: We are both around the same weight. I've been struggling with 146/147/148 since Xmas but this week had a good talk to myself and going totally clean for a month and hopefully that will kick start the loss again. Although Sunday will be a difficult one being Mothering Sunday my kids won't buy me chocs or sweets but will probably want me to drink some wine with them. BUT I am having a clean month....

Thanks lola! And you go girl on that clean month. Kick it back in gear!

Ailuros - that boiler drama is just nutty! But just imagine how lovely it will be to peel off all those layers (either once spring hits for real or they get it fixed). :lol:

Yay for a Spring thread!! :hugs: Deserves hugs all around.

Junoesque 03-26-2014 06:08 AM

This will probably end up a little confuzzled, what with switching from one screen to the other - so if I miss anyone out, apologies!!

Firstly, :welcome: Eraser! Where are you based, or did I miss that?

Shy, hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Amin - :shake: on reaching goal!! Hooray!

Kissa, Mint, so glad your family get-together appears to be going wonderfully.

Ailuros - I agree, cannot imagine how I would react to such a boiler situation. I do NOT like being cold, and sans baths I can imagine my temper readily overflowing!

Mimosa, congratulations on the courage to get your moles seen to. I wish you quick and trouble-free healing!

Lola, good luck for your clean month! I always seem to be whizzing by too, don't know why.

Everyone else, helloooooo!

Not much to report here apart from being tempted by carbs... drat! I am craving fatty meat, LOL! Difficult to get here, and expensive. Ah well. Hopefully spring is on the way, and that should reduce that particular craving.

Very much looking forward to a Berlin long weekend; cannot imagine in the slightest being good - hooray ;)

Juno x

Ailuros 03-26-2014 06:16 AM

Juno, if I hadn’t had baths I would have moved into a hotel!

Have fun in Berlin

lola5k 03-26-2014 06:23 AM

Thank you Mimosa

Amin81 03-26-2014 09:25 AM

Odd question for you ladies, and not at all weight-loss related but given that we talk about everything from travel to water heaters to weather updates, I figured why not. :)

I am having a rather serious issue with limestone stains in our kitchen around the sink.
Not even sure that's the right translation, in French it would be "calcaire" and it's due to the water, leaving all these nasty white stains.
Does anyone have good ideas on how to remove these? The workbench is sadly black and so the white shows up like crazy. :( All tips welcome!

Ailuros 03-26-2014 09:36 AM

It’s called limescale. Usually in areas with hard water the supermarkets sell products for dealing with it. Round here the bleach and assorted cleaning gels all claim to remove limescale too. I can’t say that I’ve found anything that’s totally successful though.

lola5k 03-26-2014 10:12 AM

I had it in my toilet and nothing including bleach would not rid it. In fact all bleach does is bleach the colour out of things so white limescale is already white lol.

Vinegar....I bought white vinegar from the supermarket and put half a bottle down the loo and hey presto sparkling white the next day. Also used on the bath plugs etc....give it a try I am sure that it will help.

Lots of links but here is one

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...cale-from-taps

Kissa 03-26-2014 11:37 AM

Just marking my spot X

Mimosa23 03-26-2014 12:02 PM

Amin, I second the vinegar. It is the cheapest and best limescale cleaner.

Kissa 03-26-2014 03:43 PM

Was using it just this week. White vinegar is the best.

lola5k 03-27-2014 01:24 AM

Morning ladies, Hope everyone is doing OK.

From limescale to ulcers. I just cannot seem to get rid of mine..arghh.

Rid them for a month or so and then back they come. I read lots of Vit B so have been taking that supplement for months and month and then someone said folic acid but nothing seems to be abating them. Maybe white vinegar lol. I know salt works but they keep coming back.

Do we do a whole circle with our life..hmmm now there is an interesting topic. I had ulcers as a child a lot but they always put it down to the chlorine in the swimming pool when I went swimming.

Day 4 of my clean month and feeling OK. Was mega hungry last night but held out on a small pear and some seeds. Working again today so probably come home mega hungry again lol.

Have a good one.:up:

Mimosa23 03-27-2014 01:50 AM

I use vinegar for all my cleaning needs! I find it works really well, and once it is dry, the smell disappears. BF thinks I'm mad, LOL!

Got nothing much to say here, so will pop in later!
xxx

Ailuros 03-27-2014 02:00 AM

Mouth ulcers, Lola? Miserable :( I hope you can get rid of them.

Kissa, have a lovely time with your family! When are you off skiing?

Amin81 03-27-2014 02:52 AM

Limescale, that sounds much better, thanks Ailuros!
And thanks for the advice, heading out to get white vinegar next week then when we're back from our trip.

Going home to Stockholm this weekend, yay! But I'm nervous too, this will be the first time friends and family see me since Christmas, i.e., since those 34 pounds came off. It's like I'm scared they won't see a difference and I've been fooling myself. Ack. Weird brain tricks. :stars: Think I'm still getting used to being in this new body, brain hasn't quite caught up. :lol:

So sorry to hear about the ulcer problems, lola, sounds painful. :hugs:

Kissa, skiing? How lovely, where are you going?

Ailuros 03-27-2014 02:58 AM

Have a lovely time in Stockholm, Amin! I have lost about 30 lb in the last year (at 5' 2" that makes a difference), and the only ones to comment have been my mother and my husband. I think most other people aren’t that interested in my size :).

lola5k 03-27-2014 05:19 AM

Amin they will notice for sure...but whether they will say is another matter lol. 34lbs is amazing

Yay to Vinegar!!

Kissa wooh skiing great. Just had a text from a friend today who is skiing.
Be careful no broken bones...

Kissa 03-27-2014 07:31 AM

Well it in unskiiing in my case. I don't ski any more. But we are going to St Christoph in Austria the skiers will be in the St Anton area which is high and should be still okay for snow. Easter is so late this year and 2 of the party are teachers so it had to be in the school holiday.

Enjoy beautiful Stockholm Amin, and I am sure your new slimmer self will be showered with compliments.

I am maintaining right around goal just now and very pleased about it.

Off to collect Vicky from Heathrow shortly. So excited.

SlowSure 03-27-2014 10:49 AM

Have a super time with your family, Kissa.

Everyone seems to be brightening up with the Spring. :)

I use white vinegar for most things, Stardrops for the remainder, and both in conjunction with a steam cleaner.

ETA: Amin81, nobody has noticed/commented on my loss :) I swear that my DH only knows about it because he records our weekly weigh-ins. I know excessively polite or remarkably unnoticing people. :)

Kissa 03-27-2014 04:49 PM

So wonderful to have Vicky here, I aways forget how beautiful she is. and soooo much fun too.

Ate too much today but I will survive.

Ailuros 03-28-2014 12:14 AM

Have a wonderful time, Kissa & Vicky!

We almost have proper heating! The plumbing is done, but the controller is still missing something or other so it’s cutting out before the proper temperature. Still, much better than before, and when they get the extra bit, it shouldn’t be a lot of work to fix it. (Also the flue is leaking and the plumber has had a personal crisis and left the country.)

Mimosa23 03-28-2014 12:54 AM

Cindy and Vicky, have a fab time together!!!

Ailuros, hopefully they'll have the extra bit for you soon, and yay on the partial workings of the boiler, LOL! And I LOL'd about the plumber's personal crisis, sorry... Sending good thoughts for a succesful end to this saga!

Slowsure and Amin, so far, nobody has commented on my loss either. BF knows to comment, but that doesn't really count! I'm sure people are just too polite or just too busy with themselves to notice, it's the world we live in!

Amin: have a lovely time in Stockholm, I'm sure your family will be wowed by your achievement!

Lola: Hope your day of clean eating went well!

Juno: have a fabulous time in Berlin, and do tell us about it, I need information and tips for our trip in May! Enjoy the sunny weather too!

My weekend looks promising: cleaning, laundry, gardening and general household chores... Yay..... I just pulled a muscle in between my shoulder blades getting in the car! Not sure what I did exactly, but now I'm at work it is really annoying!
Nothing else to report, got a nice pay rise at work, so I'm happy!

Have a lovely weekend everyone!
xxx

Kissa 03-28-2014 05:00 PM

I am having just too much fun. Both my daughters and my sister and their respective husbands. :)

The Vikings at the British Museum and the new Muppet movie over the weekend.

Life is good.

lola5k 03-30-2014 09:48 AM

Happy Mothers Day to all the Mum's out there. And Happy Sunday to all the non Mum's.

My DD arrived yesterday pm for the part weekend but my son who is working overseas said he couldn't make it as he still had to stay overseas and work.

Imagine my delight when totally unannounced he walked into my bedroom with a cup of tea at 7.30am this morning. I didn't even hear him arrive. OMG made my Mothers Day. YAY...I.ve not seen him for nearly 2 months so was so happy. Both my children with me..

Whole 30 clean still going good. I just had one beer last night as a Mothers Day treat and that has been my only cheat of the week. So I am happy with this way of eating for now.

Ailuros 03-30-2014 09:53 AM

What a wonderful surprise, Lola!

I’ve been doing 6:1 this month (one day each week eating around 500 calories, the rest of the time eating “normally”) and that seems to be working for maintenance, though I’m sure I’ll need to do two days a week sometimes to compensate for holidays etc.

Kissa 03-30-2014 12:54 PM

Oooh Lola what a treat! I am very rarely with both of mine for Mothering Sunday either, double fun for us.

Altogether a lovely day, and wow this weather has been such a bonus.

Don't think I am going to enjoy my weigh in tomorrow, but most of this month I have been right at my happy weight, so no complaints.