Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 06:47 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Life is enough of a Challenge -- Challenge!

I am going to throw an ending date of June 30th. Not tied to anything really it gives a solid 3 months to do WHATEVER we set out on this Challenge. Maybe it is to JUST survive! Some days, that is not so easy.

Start 172.8

Goal - 169 ???
zipp2play is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2014, 06:50 AM   #2

I'm Monica. Mom to DS15 and DD12. Married to my best friend, working the same job for the past 16+ years.

I have recently switched to LC from doing JUDDD for almost 2 years. I needed a change and LIFE was handing me too much stress to try to fast every other day! I am enjoying the switch back to LC. I will stay on LC for a while, not forever. Time will tell!
Old 03-25-2014, 07:47 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/207/140
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet/JUDDD/no sugar
Yay!!

Thank you, Monica, for setting up our new less challenging challenge.

I'm going to find a way to stop abusing treats this challenge. Given the option, I eat too much junk!!

Lynne
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #4

Less challenging, I LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!

I am going to challenge myself to try at least 2 NEW recipes a week. Food RUT is what sways me quicker than anything else!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
Thanks for starting us off, Monica

BTW, I had roasted asparagus made with garlic, EVOO & lemon with my steak I could eat that every day!

For this challenge, all I'm gonna say is that I'm just going to work every day at getting as far as I can. That's it!

Day 3 today...so far so good. Headaches are lessening and brainfog is going with them... physically though, I am exhausted. Hoping this disappears quickly and I will keep trudging on. I am more than likely going to track my calories while doing this, I've never done it in the past with low carb eating, but I question if maybe this was the reason why I eventually came to stand-still because perhaps consuming too many calories? I know I have read that others do have to track them and are finding much success this way... I will do whatever I have to at this point, I just want the weight GONE!

For anyone new coming in.... I'm Danielle, married mom of 3 nearly-all-grown-kiddos...our youngest graduates HS in May... so I'm suffering the empty-nest syndrome pretty much Recently switched from carb cycling back to low carb to try and get the scale to move in a downward motion once again!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:12 AM   #6

OH I need to try to eat asparagus. It isn't a fave of mine, but I need to venture to new things.

Dani, it can't hurt to track the calories.

Still here, thus far still on plan! I had LC waffles for dinner last night. While not new to me, it has been forever since I have made them!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Glad to hear it's going good for you still, Monica!
I am super picky about veggies, asparagus happens to be one I actually like, much to my DH's relief LOL He gets so frustrated with me because he likes everything
Was draggin big time yesterday---ZERO energy.. hoping today that picks up because it was miserable to be ready for bed by 3pm Seriously, I could've shut my eyes for the rest of the day and called it good...

My jillian box is lost... "they" tell me I have until April 10th to wait.....I guess to see if it actually shows up? NOT a happy camper, especially because they wasted no time taking my $$$
So, until that gets resolved I guess I'm left to my own devices to figure out exercise for a bit longer.

DD17 got her graduation announcements.... OMG, it's really happening The baby is nearly done! She's been applying to schools and that has set me on edge....seriously, not ready to be completely empty around here! She'd been saying she wasn't going to go away, that she'd more than likely stick around to get her gen-ed done and save herself some $ that way....but she's gotten antsy and now is seriously considering venturing off to another state to go to school. I will not stop her in any way..as much as it kills me I'll support her and get her where she wants to go. Just caught off guard and need some time to mentally prepare
Old 03-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misscobi
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 3/03 originally
Yay! Thanks for starting the new less challenging challenge, Monica!

Intro stuff... I'm a mom of 2 nearly grown boys (20 & almost 22) who are still living at home with DH & I in Northern California. I'm a freak about my dogs and have recently started playing darts competitively (can you call any event played in a bar competitive?) with DH and am loving it!

I kicked booty last night, btw. We have rankings from 1-17. I started out as a 1 in October, rolled up to a 2 before league playoffs (which we won ) and last night I shot an average of 7! Fun fun stuff! It's handicapped so rolling up isn't necessarily a good thing, but getting better certainly is, so I'll take it and not worry about whatever my ranking ends up being! I'm also the high money winner for our Friday night tournaments. I've been VERY lucky drawing some amazing partners and have won the tournament 4 times, including last week & the week before. Yep. Fun stuff!

Monica, I have the easiest asparagus recipe ever. I love the stuff, though, and find I love it pretty much however it's cooked. This is for half a bunch so adjust for more or less. If I do more than half a bunch I do it in a couple of foil patches. I like mine cut into thirds though it's not necessary, then pile it on some foil w/ three pats of butter, a little salt and a generous amount of parmesan cheese, wrap up & throw on the grill. Yum Yum Yum! I really could eat this every day!

Hang in there with your teenagers, guys. They're so lucky to have understanding parents. I can't even imagine what it's like to be a teenager at this point in history. Their frustration is definitely real and all we can do is support them, which you're both doing wonderfully.

Lynne, hope Gavin gets it together so you can both enjoy spring break. It gets tiring being the referee all the time!

Kudos to all of you who've gotten the scale to move the right direction lately! Seems even if we've travelled that road before the darned car still wants to veer off the beaten path! Scale has been moving here, too, which is SO nice to see. I was at 192/193 this morning.... and we have that concert tonight. I'm hoping to minimize damage to only pineapple juice & not a free for all dinner & desert afterward, which would be my norm when going off track. I actually plan on asking if they have diet 7-up to mix my vodka with, but don't have a lot of hope that they'll have it and won't be carrying my Mio (or anything else). I can't stand diet coke and that's usually the only sugar free option - yuck! Vodka & pineapple juice is my fave, though, and I will guiltlessly indulge in a couple of drinks and hope for the best if there's not a good diet alternative.

Happy Humpday girls! DH & I both have tomorrow & Friday off so YAY for sleeping in tomorrow!
Old 03-26-2014, 02:36 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Tami~ great job on the dart stuff! Woo hoo!!! More than anything, it sounds like you guys have a lot of fun doing this together, I love that!
We'll have to try your asparagus, that sounds amazing!
Good work on the scale, chicky! I hate diet coke too, unless it has tons of lemon squeezed into it and then I may be able to choke it down. We go to a show tomorrow night and I'm already having anxiety about what I'm going to be eating & drinking Hope you guys have fun tonight!!!
Old 03-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
Tami~ great job on the dart stuff! Woo hoo!!! More than anything, it sounds like you guys have a lot of fun doing this together, I love that!
Thanks & that is absolutely the best part! I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I fought his dart addiction for years. lol. Silly me. It's a blast.

It sucks that we drive ourselves nuts trying to figure out how to enjoy ourselves and manage to lose a bit of weight. Annoying I say, totally annoying. Good luck & have a blast tomorrow! We'll deal with the scale after we have a good time with our hubbies

As for the asparagus (yum!) foil patches was my mind trying to decide between batches & foil packets. lol. Sorry about that! It really is yummy, though. I have no clue how long we leave them on the grill... maybe 15-20 minutes? I'm convinced you can't overcook them like that, but I suppose anything's possible. lol
misscobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:54 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

HAHAHA! Patches.....schmatches..... I knew exactly what you were talking about

I wish I could just "let go" anymore when it comes to trying to enjoy myself..I haven't been able to lately and it's getting really annoying!! We have 2 more shows in April too, so I am definitely struggling to find a way to "stay on track" and still enjoy some part of the experience.. cause honestly, we don't eat fancy all the time at home, nor do I drink much at home...so going "out" to me is supposed to be fun, dangit
Old 03-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

I totally get it. I can give up the dinner/desert I suppose (can you see my pouty lip from there?), but letting loose without alcohol is extremely difficult for me - I swear I play darts better after a drink or two to loosen my uptight arse up. I don't even like admitting that, but it's true. Some people can't drink & play well. I can't play well unless I drink a bit. Oh well. I don't get drunk very often (tho concerts are a great excuse. lol) I keep reminding myself of lesser evils, the fact that I don't have to take care of anyone anymore and that hubby deserves a wife who knows how to have fun every once in awhile! Plus it's WAY more fun for me!
Old 03-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscobi View Post
I totally get it. I can give up the dinner/desert I suppose (can you see my pouty lip from there?), but letting loose without alcohol is extremely difficult for me - I swear I play darts better after a drink or two to loosen my uptight arse up. I don't even like admitting that, but it's true. Some people can't drink & play well. I can't play well unless I drink a bit. Oh well. I don't get drunk very often (tho concerts are a great excuse. lol) I keep reminding myself of lesser evils, the fact that I don't have to take care of anyone anymore and that hubby deserves a wife who knows how to have fun every once in awhile! Plus it's WAY more fun for me!
THIS! ^^^^^ This is exactly my thought process. Phew! I'm not the only one
Old 03-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

You're definitely not the only one. We really are at an interesting stage in life and I'm embracing the fact that it's just going to be hubby and I from here on out... for the most part anyway.... and we need to bond, let loose and have fun! There's been way too much type A, uptight, racing everyone around to 20 different perfectly timed schedules for too long and we're having to learn to have fun all over again. Or at least I am. The transition from mom to fun partner doesn't come naturally to me at all!
Old 03-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

It does not come naturally to me either...and I'm kinda having a hard time with it all as reality is slapping me in the face over and over, day in & day out as DD17 gets ready for graduation in just a few weeks.. She's now been applying to schools out of state which has thrown me for a little loop--her plan up until a few weeks ago had been to stick close to home and get her gen-ed out of the way for free...she's sorta changed her mind So, while I had her graduating and no longer being in "baby mode" anymore...I knew I was gonna have her home... well, now, I'm looking at potentially REALLY having no one home at all... WTH do I do with that? Like, seriously????

I've always been the "hub" of our home, worrying about appts, school work, projects, car rides, etc... and the last year has loosened up a ton with DD17 being the only 1 here so DH and I have been able to get glimpses of what it really will be like on our own with time to ourselves.. it's crazy!!

I need to find a hobby!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

LOL I guess I found one. Hmmm. Hadn't really thought of darts as a hobby, but I guess the shoe fits. I was the same way, though, definitely the hub and master planner of everything. My oldest just got into our local state college - this is the kid who went away for 2 years, came home, and still had to do 2 years at JC to be able to transfer. He did all of his apps and everything on his own this time and it takes everything I have not to ask him about it every time I see him! I was so on top of everything the first time he went through this and I know there have to be deadlines coming up, things to submit, etc., but he says he's on top of it... and that does seem to be the case. We're pretty much just waiting to see if any financial aid comes through
Old 03-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

How was the concert? Did you have fun?

I learned to "get over it" like a Band-Aid being ripped off, in terms of not being in control of the DS's school stuff when he moved to University for last year He assured me he had it all taken care of, and he sure did.. so this year I didn't worry as much.. Of course I still asked a few brief general questions and he said he had it all, so I just shut up. DD17 has done all her college apps on her own, even her FAFSA.. she is so independent, it's kinda annoying LOL If she actually finds a way to get to a school out of state, one of you is going to have to scrape me off the floor and hold me up... I am so not ready to have "the baby" get up and vacate the entire state, yet! She's trying to kill me, I really think she is.
DD19 did her own taxes this year...crossing my fingers she did it all right!!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #18

I can't imagine not having the kids at home. It truly scares me!

Tami thanks for the recipe. DH would love for me to eat asparagus, so maybe now i will try it. How did the concert go?

Dani - what movie???

funny you all mention having a few drinks to loosen up. That is so me too! DH loves when I agree to have a beverage or 2. I have loosened up a lot over the past several years. We enjoy a bottle of wine together often. I guess it is all in fun. I worry often what I will do when both kids are gone. Thankfully I have 6+ years till that happens. I often look at DH and say, what will I do with just YOU, you are boring!!! That always gets the kids to laugh!

Monica -Come see my journey!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

We're seeing Tool tonight... This is all for DH, he loves them.. Me, meh I could take them or leave them...

It's an exciting time for us, but for me, myself, & I, it's scary.... I've essentially been a SAHM for 21 years.... it's all I know.. I had a few part-time jobs for a few months at a time about 7 or 8 years ago and then I went to a full-time management position for about a year, about 4 years ago, that nearly killed me LOL... So, having the kids be completely gone signifies a completely brand new chapter for myself, let alone for DH & myself..

I went years & years & years without drinking ever... and then after all the BS that happened with my family a few years ago and learning that it was high time for me to live for myself and do what I want, I started opting for drinks when we started going out... DH loves it

I don't worry too much about what we'll do together when they kids are gone...we have so many common interests and have so many plans of what we wanna do I think we'll be a-ok It's my time home alone while DH works is what i'm going to have to really work on!!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Ah, my hubby loves Tool as well. Have fun! We had a great time! Thank goodness it was local because I forgot the tickets. We got all the way to the venue and were starting to get out of the car when I realised it. DS met us part way with them. Then after waiting in a loooong line(local friend who works downtown said he'd never seen so many people at that venue ), we got in and got a great spot just as the last opening band played a couple of songs. Not bad timing considering. This was an all ages venue and they had the adult/bar area up and to the left of the stage. I got a spot against the railing there, so could see everything perfectly! Not quite the same as being in the middle of all the action like last time, but still really really fun! It's a double headline tour w/ The Lacs and they were pretty decent, too. Then Moonshine Bandits just lit it up. Fun fun fun
Old 03-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, and as for the drinking. I didn't drink for years and years either. It's a bit weird wading back into that territory, but it is definitely fun I joke that after not having drank for so long it's strangely funny to me that I have a group of friends from the bar & darts that only know me when I'm drinking. lol. So not my booster club president M.O. lol
Old 03-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

YAY for the weekend! We're working on a 4 day weekend, so I had to think about what day it was. lol

Danielle, how was the concert? How'd you do with food & drink? I guess my pineapple juice didn't hurt too bad as the scale has continued to move the right direction. Down to 191 this morning... working on getting back to that 184 I saw before the holidays a little over 3 months ago.

Monica, another crazy weekend?

How's it going, Lynne? Are you surviving Gavin's spring break?

Hugs to you all! Have a great weekend!!!
Old 03-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

LOL DD17 has had spring break this week and all week I had zero clue what day it was...funny how my life runs on HER clock

The concert was great! I'd never seen them before so it was interesting to get a visual.. Food wise I didn't do all that terrible..before the show we went to Cooperstown which is right across the street--it's the restaurant owned by Alice Cooper..I love it there... I got a lc wrap with grilled chicken & bacon and a side salad.. I did have a couple Michelob Ultra's too At the venue I had a couple bottles of water and a giant diet coke, as well as a small thingy of popcorn--I love their popcorn for some reason.. I'd managed to get in a gallon of water earlier in the day so I wasn't feeling too guilty about the indulgences..
Got up at 3am to use the bathroom and was extremely dizzy. I figured it was from just being super tired, late night, etc... so I crawled back in bed and when I woke again at 7 I was still dizzy..this time with a major stomach ache and very nauseated. I was in bed all day long and ate very minimally.. I did get in my gallon of water through the day though so I guess that's good.. I'm still kinda feeling alittle bit ick this morning, so hoping it's gone by weekend's end at least!

Awesome news for the scale, lady! I remembered to weigh yesterday through all my dizziness and was down 1.8 after 4 days back on 100%...not too shabby considering it wasn't an entire week and I did have popcorn and a coupla beers I'm sure this sickness will come back to bite me somewhere next week on the scale... trying not to worry about it!
Old 03-29-2014, 11:07 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Yikes. Hope you're feeling better soon! You did GREAT food & drink wise! Huge kudos for getting that water in, too. That's something I've been trying to focus on and I do think it makes a difference. Yay for being almost 2 pounds down, too! Sweet! Now just get better!
Old 03-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Tami! Having a hard time discerning whether it's really my stomach or something else? I would think that if it were my stomach then food wouldn't sound good at all? But I've been getting hungry and eating some, but still have an "ache" of some sort somewhere in my belly.. Just weird, I tell ya..

DH tells me I'm having a reaction to the "contact high" at the show...it was BAD...the worst ever from any show we've been to, and we've been to ALOT.... Of course this isn't what this is, but it's funny to think about
Old 03-31-2014, 06:52 AM   #26

Dani - hope you are feeling better today! Glad you enjoyed the concert.

Tami - funny about your drinking crowd compared to the PTA crowd! I didn't drink for years either when my kids were younger, now DH and I share a love of wine. We even toured some wine country in CA.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:54 AM   #27

it was Cupid's ball weekend for us. It had been postponed due to ice back in february. It is DD12's last year being able to attend with my Dad. They make a huge deal "sending off" the 12 year olds. She had a blast and so did my Dad. He loves taking her every year. I think we figured they have been doing this for 7 years!!!!

Old 03-31-2014, 06:55 AM   #28

Hard to believe she is 12. She doesn't look that age all dressed up!

Old 03-31-2014, 09:20 AM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Aw, what great pictures!!!! What a really neat tradition, and what wonderful memories DD will always have!

Feeling loads better today. So grateful! I peeked at the scale yesterday, good news! ....but I won't count anything until Friday...

Looking to get into Jillian's program this week. To say I am slightly terrified is an understatement She definitely means business with the size of this box of stuff.... She's determined to beat me into shape, I suppose
Old 03-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #30

Glad you are feeling better Dani, ease into the workouts! You can do it!!!!