Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Dakini
Those poor people, again? The last shooting was in 2009, I think.

Sounds like you're finding good homes for your goats. Sharing the wealth!
Dakini is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Dak - I don't know why it always has to be in Texas. DS is in California until next week in the desert.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #33
Big Yapper!!!!

Second day of Atkins 72 went well today. I had a spinach salad with Ranch Dressing. Haven't had a salad in forever since there are too many calories in salad dressing. Had about a cup of little fresh spinach leaves from my garden but it was perfect. Skipped breakfast both mornings so we shall see how long that trend lasts. Wasn't hungry so no need to eat.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Salad with ranch dressing sounds good, classic Atkins 72! Today was a DD for me, I'm find that BP coffee really does keep me going all day, early dinner has been greens from the garden, carrot & green onion mixed with a tbs of miso, so very easy and filling.

I had today off and feel like I got some great work in the garden. Got a major portion of the pole barn straightened up (with DS's help). Funny, I had just stopped seeing the mess.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #35
Big Yapper!!!!

Having a 10 o'clock breakfast this morning. I am going to go buy feed and go to Sam's Club so I thought I better fill up before leaving. Actually down a couple of pounds and they are not bouncing back up. Just staying steady. Nice change of pace.
Love having something fresh from the garden. Fix that barn. you might need it for an animal someday.
Had a new baby last night. Mom is sold for a family milker and I got a single doe kid so I am happy.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great that your weight is staying low. I had a few too many up up and away days last week, so my loss is less than it could have been, but still, down some too!

Too funny you mentioned an animal. DS is telling me I need chickens. With a moveable coop so I can have them work certain areas at a time. Oh yes, and a couple of pigs. But not for meat, just to have as pets. Somehow, a few chickens sound quite do-able, rutting pigs, not so much.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #37
Big Yapper!!!!

Chickens are fun. Just a few hens will give you all the eggs you need and they are kind of fun to watch too. I have some that free range, some that sort of free range and some that NEVER leave the chicken yard. Strange mix of birds but I love the various colors of brown, green and blue eggs.

DH took a few bucks to the auction today. Lowering my feed bill and making room for some of the baby bucks that I will be keeping. My first show is next weekend and it is chilly so I am not going to clip them yet. It is supposed to be warmer later in the week.,

Maintained on the scale and had collards cooked in butter for lunch. No breakfast outside of a half a cup of BBC. Upset my tummy so I didn't finish it. That MCT oil is tuff to swallow.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
Old 04-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: krittermom
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 9th, 2012
I've been so busy the last few days and didn't see you all have been posting.

I'm rethinking vegan and thinking of just cutting out dairy since I think that's a big culprit. All of these other forms of protein and fiber are making me feel incredibly bloated.

I had a fun day today. Took the dogs for a nice walk, then went clothes shopping at Macy's and actually found some things for work. Then went out to dinner and to the orchestra with my brother and his wife. It was a lovely night. But my back always hurts after sitting for 2 hours in those orchestra chairs.

Tomorrow I'm planning on getting my bikes out and seeing if the tires will hold air and may take one for a spin. Also need to get out my summer clothes to see if any of my shorts fit. Gotta get ready for the Florida keys!
krittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #39
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi all. Feeling great and doing great. I am making better food choices since I am not counting anything except carbs and I don't even count those as I know what I can and cannot eat on Atkins 72. Had a lovely loose leaf lettuce and fresh spinach salad with ranch dressing and a HB patty with mayo and pickles for lunch. I might even try raw chard tomorrow as a salad green. Never know. I might like it.
Rained off and on all day so I got some paperwork done. Since we had some additional income this year due to my retirement we got bumped up to the 28% income tax bracket. OMG. My taxes are more than my first teaching job paid. Luckily we had almost enough taken out and only have to send another thousand. Those lump sums are nice when you get them but can sure mess up your taxes.
One more doe due soon. Forgot to write her down on my calendar so I am just watching her closely. Then no one until May. I get a break.
kritter - glad you enjoyed your day. Not sure I would enjoy the orchestra. I get antsy during band concerts at school. Still would like a bike although I guess DH is right about not many places I can ride one.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Glad you're in the swing of Atkins. Today was an upday for me, feels like I cooked a lot, made a butternut squash soup for lunch & a trader joes semi homemade pizza for dinner. DS suggested I make one with barbeque sauce, turned out really well the leftover smoked turkey.

We did more cleanup in the garden. With the rain we've been having its so green, it feels park like. Thinking of having a berry picking party in a few months.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:53 AM   #41
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - I cook a lot and keep it in the frig so I don't have to do anything but heat it up. Sure makes a difference in healthy food choices right now. We are having rain too and everything is so nice and green. So unlike the past few years. Our wildflowers along the little road I drive to work are beautiful. Makes going to work a pleasant experience.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've been eating too many calories on my up days. I do well on my down days, but I guess I'm going to have to start counting calories again, as I am not winging it well.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #43
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - I found it so easy to over eat on my UD's as I was thiking I can't have it tomorrow. After 3 years I just need a break. I just put all of my Atkins 72 foods into ***day and I came up with 1500 calories and have plenty to eat. I am staying steady at 148 and am wearing a size 8 dres to work today so I am happy. Even if I maintain at 148 I am fine as all of my clothes fit and I am feeling great. Cooked chard for dinner and forgot bout it after I did chores. DH had left me a serving that I found this morning. LOL Had coffee with HWC for breakfast and it is noon so I am about to hear up my HB patty that I am having with mayo and dill pickle slices rather than the salad. Will have the salad for dinner. I was not trying to have super high fat by the calc says 82% fat and 5% carbs which are less than 20 so I am doing well. Looking forward to the high fat homemade ice cream this summer instead of my beloved Blue Bell but it can't be helped as I am enjoying eating daily. Thought about in the future doing one complete fast day per week. That will come.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:44 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi everyone,

Been so busy. I've started studying for the PMP Project Management certification. In order to be able to take the certification exam, you need to complete 35 hours of Project Management training so I've been researching various online courses trying to find something that's inexpensive and offers a flexible schedule. Oye! I deserve a medal just for getting through that process lol. Anyway I selected one and started it.

For some reason I have a burning desire to get this certification and a Master's degree.

So yesterday I got on the scale and I was down 2 pounds from last week. My clothes didn't feel any looser but someone in work asked me if I lost weight so I have to assume I lost it all in my face

On Saturday, I went to the Pearl S Buck museum with the ladies from my book club. We had a lovely day. The museum is her home in Buck's county so we toured that. It's a beautiful, rambling old farm house. And they have a fantastic gift shop. Then we went out to lunch(of course ). Best part of the day though was the weather. Sunny and gorgeous. And right now it's raining and sleeting. I feel so bad for all of the poor bugs and animals that came out of hibernation. I hope they can get back into it pretty darned quick.

I was doing well on low carb but ever since Saturday, my GI track is in an uproar. I went out to dinner Friday night and wonder if I got a touch of food poisoning. I had mussels and some kind of fish. I made a batch of rice and will eat that and bananas tomorrow to see if it helps. Those two foods are supposed to help.

How are you guys doing?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #45
Big Yapper!!!!

kritter - congrats on starting your certification. I have no idea what a PMP is but it sounds like a good thing. This weather is crazy. It was 80 Saturday and 38 tonight. Poor goats don't know what to do. Shiver at night and lay in the sun during the day.

TX Daisy won best junior doe in show last weekend so we did well. And it was so cool. Thirty years ago I had a goat friend in East Texas and her herd was the Texas Daisy herd. She dropped out of goats when I left East Texas and I have asked at every show if anyone knows what happened to her or where she is. I almost fainted when a woman walked up to me and called me by name and said," Do you remember me?" It was my long lost friend and then her namesake won so it was great. Friend is thinking about getting back into dairy goats and came to this show to watch. There were two more breeders there that remembered her so we had a wonderful time. Best show I have been to in years.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #46
Big Yapper!!!!

I have been eating salads again but the salad dressing seems way to salty. I tried thinning it with olive oil today and all I could taste was olive oil so I added Balsamic vinegar which helped but there was no Ranch dressing taste left. Does anyone know of a prepared dressing that isn't so salty. I bought some Marie's but it was saltier. I used to like Lighthouse but my local store no longer carries it. Plain olive oil and Balsamic vinegar is alright I guess but I would like some other options.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Adi, how wonderful to meet your long, lost friend! It'll be nice for you to have a friend with the same interest as you.

For salad dressing, you could try vinegar and oil and maybe add some Good Seasonings Italian dressing mix to it. This would give it flavor and you can control how much you use so you can keep the salt content down. The only other thing I can think of is to use water to thin it out. I've tried adding more oil like you did and had the same problem - couldn't taste anything except olive oil. blech!

I think I'm getting a cold. Better now than next week when I'm on vacation.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy Easter!

Where has this month gone? You're leaving soon for your trip, Kritter? I hope you have a fantastic time.

Adi, beautiful story of reconnecting with your friend. I sometimes wonder what has happened to friends that I've lost contact with. Such a gift to be able to find one again!

So of course, this time of year, I'm doing a lot in the garden. My berries are in bloom and the onions and garlic are doing well. I'm a little worried, a pair of peacocks have been showing up every morning, I've googled peacock food and while they do eat bugs, they also eat vegetables and fruit. I think they've escaped from a local winery.

2014 Spring Garden Slideshow by Dakini12345 | Photobucket
Old 04-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #49
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - your garden is so pretty. I have spinach in an old water trough and that is all so far. Too busy to plant anything else yet. Peacocks scream too.

Had Easter babies today. SO I have Easter Lily and Easter Sunday. Twin girls. So nice.

DH was going to disc the garden but the wind is blowing and the neighbor has company outside so that is out for the day.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dak, I love your garden. Yes, my trip is this week. We leave early Thursday morning and come back Monday night. I can't believe how much I'm looking forward to it. I've been busy doing laundry and shopping and getting the packing started.

adi, congratulations on the new babies!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #51
Big Yapper!!!!

Garden has been disced again going both directions. Progress. Spinach is looking good. I planted two tomato plants in a bag of potting soil. One plant per bad as an experiment.
Otherwise we have no food except chard and meat. We could survive on that plus the eggs I guess.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #52
Big Yapper!!!!

I went to work today and wore a dress and dress shoes. I was the only one there so I took my shoes off, goat all of my work done, ate lunch and got ready to take the PO's over the central office. Guess that salad dressing was uber salty as I could not get my shoes back on. Had no powder or anything to help. Finally managed to SQUEEZE my feet into them and could barely hobble. Funny now but not then. I had to have shoes to get across the gravel parking lot.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Your poor feet, Adi! Have you ever noticed a difference in the type of salt that you use? I've heard people say that sea salts don't have that same reaction for people as say, mortons salt. I've always wondered how true that is?

It's been a bit different over here, DS got downsized from his job and he has moved back here for a while until he's employed again. I'm not used to cooking for him, when I cook, a meal will usually last at least a couple meals, usually more. Now its gone with one meal. I'm going to have to change my cooking style.

Garden is doing well. I'm going to have to set up my water scarecrow to keep the peacocks out of my raised beds but other than that, I really like hanging out with them.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:21 AM   #54
Big Yapper!!!!

Beautiful pictures Dak. I bought my brother a peacock once. Loved watching it fan it's tail.
i don't actually use any salt except sea salt but that old pocessed salad dressing is the culprit. After being gone to a goat show for 2 1/2 days and no salad dressing, my feet are normal size. I used mayo on my meat so maybe I should just use mayo on my salads. And I am back below 150 so maybe if I just start walking evry evening I can lose a few more without changing anything in my diet. I was very active walking at the goat show.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

dak the peacocks are so pretty! I'm so sorry your DS lost his job. There has been quite a bit of that going on in my company. They seem to be doing it a little at a time, I think so that folks won't notice.

Our trip was amazing. I was disappointed we didn't see more alligators but we saw a few. Here are some pics.

eta: The alligator pic was taken in the Everglades and the other one is a pic from the front porch of our room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Everglades22.jpg (63.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Room view 3.jpg (57.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 04-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome back Kritter! That porch picture looks lovely.... alligator, a bit scary. Glad you had a great vacation. This wasn't the trip to the Grand Canyon and state parks, is that for later this summer?

Adi, I've got to start walking more. I sit way too much.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:28 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This was to the Florida Keys with my sister-in-law. The Grand Canyon may be postponed a year. We are thinking of doing a big trip every other year and since we did Paris last year, we should wait and save a bit for another big one. Instead, we're thinking of doing some long weekends close to home - places we can drive. We live near some really lovely areas - Hudson River Valley, Chesapeake Bay, Mystic Connecticut. All within driving distance. So that's the plan for this year.

So yesterday morning I got on the scale and I was up 4 pounds from when I left for Florida. This morning, the 4 pounds are gone. Hmmm. I did get sunburned so maybe I was retaining because of that? Oh my gosh the sun was strong down there. I thought I was really careful with the sunscreen but I guess I didn't rub it around enough.

I'm reading a Nora Roberts book set in Ireland, so of course they're drinking lots of tea and made a beef stew. So yesterday I had to make a beef stew It's cold and rainy here so it was a good choice. It turned out really good and it's very low carb.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:43 AM   #58
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi all. For some reason it is cold today and really windy. Having to wear a jacket when I go outside and it has been in the 80's.
I am trying to figure out what I have not eaten in the last few days as I feel great. No fatigue and lots of energy and no aches or pains. Probably the salad dressing. LOL

I have really let a death of a young man I do not know depress me. He was in DS' class at WP and had been deployed and was trying his second attempt at Ranger School. He was out by himself rucking (hiking with a heavy pack) to get ready for the next try. He fell about 200 feet and was found by other hikers. To think that earning that Ranger tab is so important to them that he ends up dying to get it makes me so sad. DS knew him and I know how upset DS was when he had trouble getting started in Ranger School. If they are in infantry and don't have a Ranger tab it is like the kiss of death for their career. I am going to share my depression. 1LT Bao Huy D. Vo USA
So sad for such a young person.
I am going to go out and walk in the wind to make myself feel better.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Adi that has to be one of the saddest things, a young man so obviously in his prime, I so sorry to hear it. We never know how long we have here, makes me want to go hug DS.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #60
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - I think that is why it depressed me so much as it could have easily been my son because I am sure he did the same thing alone while he was getting ready to try Ranger School again. They all do it alone. I feel a tad better after my walk and I have a million things to do but I keep thinking about having to face something like that as a Mother.

DH went to the cow sale but didn't find a baby calf. Guess I will put the milk I saved in the freezer.