Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #1261
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GoBahnsen
Stats: Have lost 42 lbs since Nov.19, 2013
WOE: Low carb my way
Start Date: 188 as of March 5, 2014 6'2"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme View Post
When I have to order at a drive-thru because we are traveling I just get a regular double meat with bun. It's so much easier like that and I just use the bun as the holder and throw away bun as I eat down the insides. A little like eating a banana and pealing down the skin. Doing so much driving I've learned where all of the real meat and real veggi places are....slim jims will only take you so far and then you need real food...
It heps to know that most of the buns out there are just heaps of chemical poisons anyway. Seriously...The fast food places do not care what you are consuming into your body. They just want to combine salt, sugar, MSG, chemicals, and some actual food together, so that your brain goes nuts!

And when you die, they don't even send flowers!

Just helping us all to stay mad at that which makes us fat and kills us too. This is a support site!
GoBahnsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #1262
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Once in a while when I'm eating a burger I'll get a taste, and throw away the the bread and it tastes like sugar.
That's how they get people hooked on that stuff...sugar. Probably sugar in the French fries too.
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #1263
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
Here it is Sunday night and we're staring down the barrel of a new work week! The weekend was a blur to me of golf, eating, and drinking. I enjoyed every minute, but now it's time to pay the piper. This is going to be a week of VERY low carb to get myself back in the zone.

Hope you all have a wonderful week!
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #1264
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Hi all,

Trig---Still not sure you're different in the amount of your water retention w/carbs. I mean when folks report after 2 weeks of induction, they've lost say, 10 to 14 pounds, we KNOW that most of that is water. You don't lose that kind of weight in 2 weeks unless maybe you have literally been starved of food, something that happens to no one here.

I too scream right up the scale when I have a treat night, some times worse than others. If we look at what it takes to gain a REAL pound of weight, 3,500 calories imbibed w/out any movement to balance it, we see how hard it really is to put on or lose that amount of weight in a couple of days.

I had a pal who used to LC, lost a lot of weight, looked great, then fell off the wagon, gained it all back. She told me that she couldn't eat ANY carbs w/out gaining weight, and it got too hard for her. I told her that if she's talking about a two week carb binge, that's one thing. But if she's talking about a hike on the scale after one treat meal, it's not fat gain, just water retention, although it WILL turn into fat if one continues w/the carbs and the SAD. You simply have your treat when you must, and yeah, not all that often, and then get back on plan. She finally admitted she just didn't want to get back on plan. So there you have it.

Meme---I totally agree, I really enjoy eating out, things I wouldn't cook at home, which is why it's been so important to learn how to do it on this woe for me.

Michelle---way to go w/another pound down!!! And Yeah, there will always be some carb treats in my life, just not that often…as few and far between as I can make it. And this is working for me because I have found so many LC treats I really enjoy. I think it's interesting how we always refer to "treats"
as Carbs, forgetting how many GREAT LC treats there are. Still can't believe sometimes how little deprivation I feel on this woe these days.

Gobah---I liked your question---basically is the "dream/hope" better than the reality. I think "reality" in general will never keep up w/our dreams. But a beautiful, good day is something to cherish always, and if we reduce our expectations form dreamy perfection we can enjoy even days that are not beautiful weather wise, or any other wise.

Y'know, since my dear neighbors death a couple of weeks ago, I have looked at every day since as one he is not here to enjoy, even a little, and BOY, does that change your POV.

katie. Please do join in!

So today I ate SUPER LC clean till dinner, because I wanted to have just one ear of corn at its peak, buttered and salted---about 15 NCs. LOL, in my carb days I would have had 4 to 5 ears, without hardly coming up for breath.

But, I am learning to enjoy less of what I used to overdose on. A couple of bites of bread or dessert, one ear of corn, and ALL dutifully logged into my tracker so I know what my decisions for any day add up to.

Due to the corn, I will have a day on the higher side of my carb allowance than I would have had without it, but still SO seriously less than what I used to eat every day. Need to remind myself of that. So Meh. It was freaking delicious, and I enjoyed every butter soaked kernel.

And my calories for the day are under my goal. I find that when I go higher in carbs, I like to go lower in cals. Somehow it all works out.

Onward and downward! NO MATTER how long it takes, we've got the time. Let's use it well.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #1265
Major LCF Poster!

[QUOTE=Blue Skies;17016836]Hi all,

Meme---I totally agree, I really enjoy eating out, things I wouldn't cook at home, which is why it's been so important to learn how to do it on this woe for me.
--------------------------------------------------------------
The thing with me is that I've been doing heavy cooking for 4 kids and a husband for over 30 years. With a gang like that, every night was like a Thanksgiving dinner. I always cooked a fresh veggie every night and belonged to several fruit and veggie co-ops. Not to mention making real breakfasts to send them out in the world full of protein and never fed them cereal.

It's just those things that are so time consuming or just too much for just us now. Like cooking an entire Prime Rib would be more than we could eat in a week so we just go out and have a nice slice.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:00 AM   #1266
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Kiddo off to school. Can we say HOORAY! long summer over which is kinda good and kinda bad. we know the change of seasons means less and less swimming

got her hair curled, bit of eyeshadow, all her new clothes, new boots (yea she insisted on her short black Justice boots even in 90 heat--kids I tell ya) but she is off to a good class and seems like a great teacher. all good here

holding very low carb today again. I do so well on it I am just going to slowly hang here and get some results. No change on scale. I bought SALTED pumpkin seeds. yea I know. the sodium got me. I ate 1/2 the bag. 0 carb which is nice but.....So NOW I KNOW I can't be buying them again cause they are super addictive to me. I love them to the max and would have finished the bag but the bloat was kicking in from the salt. I threw the rest out. drank of ton of water yesterday but it all stuck to my body LOL

whenever hungry...bacon and eggs
dinner tonight is pork chops and veg for me...some other sides for family.

doing well. still in a good zone. that calm, easy going, all is ok feeling. love it!

Everyone hold the LC ways. they work, we know they do, and if we work it right we can eat top of the line delish satisfying foods!! LC rocks!!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:25 AM   #1267
Major LCF Poster!

Meme---Wow, yeah, sounds like you've done more than your share of cooking! Nice treat for you now to go out, relax and enjoy.

Trigger---Loved hearing about the kiddo's first day of school in her "Justice boots." LOL, brought back memories. I used to love the first day of school because I always got a new outfit for it. And it was alway's a "fall" outfit when it was still hot as heck. But I had to wear it anyway.

Sounds like you're in a good zone w/the LC now. And OMG, the pumpkin seeds! I buy a brand that's spicy and so fantastic. And boy howdy yeah, those little buggers go down fast. I have to pour out a small amount, fold the top of the bag over, put a clamp on it and put it back, or I wouldn't stop either. One good way to use them is on top a salad---a finite amt, adds a nice zing.

176.5 this AM. Getting so close to my low of 175 again, third time getting there so I think I'm getting closer to it being my new default/set point weight for awhile. That's how it works for me in this last stage of my weight loss. I hit a new low, then bounce up from it several times, then finally it's what I weigh, and then eventually, I get a new low number, and the process starts again.

A note on my great lakes protein/collagen powder---the recommended dosage is 2 TBS in the AM, and two before you go to bed. I was feeling a bit head achy off and on on that, which I read could be a side effect. So I cut it down to 1 TBS in the AM and 1 in the PM. It IS a good sleep aide for me, as many said, and in the way that I'm not waking up in the middle of the night like I usually do, unable to get back to sleep. Hope that lasts.
Also, there does seem to be an appetite suppressant aspect to it. Not so much in not wanting food, but in eating less of it when it's there. Don't know if that will continue at this smaller dose, we'll see, but not taking it for that reason so either way it's fine. Taking it for hair, skin, nails and a bunch of other stuff it does.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:31 AM   #1268
Major LCF Poster!

Oh and one more thing, speaking of hair, I'm off to get blonder this AM. Love that, just hate the process. All those tin foil things growing out of your head.

One time, many years ago before I was married, I was getting a foil done, and the hair dresser wheeled me around to go under the dryer in full Martian mode, and there sat my date for that evening, true story, having his hair cut at a station I couldn't see till I got walked past him to the dryers. One of those moments you want the earth to just swallow you up. We had a good laugh about it, nice guy. Boy, am I chatty this am, too much coffee.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:33 AM   #1269
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Hi all,

Gobah---I liked your question---basically is the "dream/hope" better than the reality. I think "reality" in general will never keep up w/our dreams. But a beautiful, good day is something to cherish always, and if we reduce our expectations form dreamy perfection we can enjoy even days that are not beautiful weather wise, or any other wise.

Right. I have just been struggling lately to really "enter" in to a beautiful day. I have been kind of flat. Sometimes it's because I have just been drinking too much beer, so I'm kind of out if it.

Last Saturday, DAY FOUR of the beer fast, I was just plain old tired and had no energy. Probably detoxing. It was a perfect day with bright blue skies, but when you don't have any pep...it's all kind of flat.

I have totally lost my obsession with going up North to camp out. I used to go 25 times a year, looking for some kind of elusive "high" that would result from being in the perfect day, feeling perfect and perfectly enjoying it.

After hundreds of visits, I finally hit my saturation point and seeing a beautiful horse pasture or hay fields with freshly bundled blocks of hay, the sights that used to fill me with wonder, just don't do it for me anymore.

Plus I'm always thinking about the massive drive home, and it hangs over my head like a death sentence. The younger me was still searching, trying to find what it is that I really love and then nail it down tight and own it.

But the older me is starting to realize that it does not exist here on earth. And I think that brings on a level of depression.

Now....couple that with getting out of shape and not looking good in the mirror and then you got a big recipe for depression. That's why I'm fighting hard to not let myself "go" physically. Make sense?

I guess I'm kind of a shallow guy in many ways. I do have a big HOPE in something. And that HOPE is my ultimate bedrock and is the biggest reason I stay centered.

But yeah...a good WOE and exercise are very important to me these days. Something about people telling you that you look great or seeing a girl turn her head and smile...it just gives me a sense of being significant in some way. I know it's vanity, but it's powerful, isn't it? We like to look our best. We want to wow others if we can.

Well, that felt good to type that out. Helps me to know myself better.

Have a wonderful LC day Blue! I had a few beers over the weekend, but exercised far more self control than previous weekends. I feel good this morning and look forward to a beer-less Monday.

Ok...I'm still talking. I have a new routine. I get home from work, beer-free, and I do more exercises and I mix it with getting things done around the house. Exercise and productivity combined.

In recent times past, the beer rules out both of those positives. It makes me lazy. Ok, now I'm really done talking See ya
Old 08-25-2014, 07:47 AM   #1270
Senior LCF Member

ROFL! Blue! I know just what you mean about the tin foil head! I'm sure you were wishing you could just disappear when you saw your date sitting there! Men just don't know what we go thru to beautify ourselves!
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #1271
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PACarolsue
Michelle, sometimes when you have a big meal you don't gain the next day, but do gain the second day. That didn't happen with me. I think the buffet was a large meal, but it was all low carb, so it was OK. I went out yesterday and had the stuffed pork chop. I ate half of the pork chop, a couple bites of the stuffing, a couple bites of the scalloped potatoes, (drool) 1/2 cup of corn, and a cup of broccoli cheese soup. Nothing to eat the rest of the evening, and I am down another pound this morning! Yay! Now to hold onto the loss, that's the big thing.

The thing that really bugs me about paying $9 for a beef patty with a slice of cheese is that they do not deduct anything for the bun you don't get. However, if you were to request a second bun for some reason, like we used to do when we ordered a fish sandwich, they would charge you for it. Every time a low carb customer requests "no bun" that's another $1 in their pocket. Cha ching!

Food Lady, that's great about the shorts that won't stay up. I have a way to go before that happens, and I have a ton of clothes that I will be able to wear after about a 20 lbs loss, so I won't have to go shopping.

Gobah, every time I want to eat bread I will think of the chemical poisons.....

It's OK that you are vein...I wouldn't call it shallow...caring about how you look is keeping you OP with your food and exercise. That is a good thing. If none of us cared about how we look, where would that leave us? And although I'm sure your wife loves you unconditionally, looking good for her can't hurt. Right?

Lori, one of the good things about being retired...you never have to look down the barrel of another work week. One of the bad things is you no longer have any money. Glad to hear you had a good golf weekend.

Trigger, I recently bought some pumpkin seeds that are already out of the shell. Never saw them before. I am really hooked on them. And yes, the sodium that came along with them. DH usually makes them after we carve our pumpkin on Halloween, but I don't like biting through the shells.

Blue Skies, you do a good job tracking everything. I need to get back to that. It opens my eyes to where the carbs slip in when you're not looking.
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #1272
Major LCF Poster!

Grrrrrrrrr. Live and learn. Got a Hardees big ham and cheese sandy for lunch, no bun of course. Been enjoying these now and then as an alt to a burger when I'm in a hurry, as I was today.

Checked it out for carb cts today, had assumed it was pretty low carb, ham and cheese right? WRONG. They cure it w/white and brown sugar. 33 grams of carbs in JUST the ham.

Thankfully I wasn't that hungry and ate only half of it today, but still, there goes a whole lot of my carbs for the day. SO not worth it. Gals neighborhood party tonight. I'm bringing my BLT salad so that's what I'll eat. At least I know what's in it.

Back later, gotta run.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #1273
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBahnsen View Post
It heps to know that most of the buns out there are just heaps of chemical poisons anyway. Seriously...The fast food places do not care what you are consuming into your body. They just want to combine salt, sugar, MSG, chemicals, and some actual food together, so that your brain goes nuts!

And when you die, they don't even send flowers!

Just helping us all to stay mad at that which makes us fat and kills us too. This is a support site!
Love this!

Sorry for my absence guys. Haven't been on the internet much lately but I am keeping up with you all.
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #1274
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portia View Post
Love this!

Sorry for my absence guys. Haven't been on the internet much lately but I am keeping up with you all.
Well thank you. Glad you loved it.

Good to se ya in here again
Old 08-25-2014, 02:30 PM   #1275
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SlegneSis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Happy Saturday all,

Trigger ---Ha! I figured out how to B. Duh. Fun. Wow, that's a big whoosh of bloat, 5 and 1/2 pounds! But y'know I'm not sure how much this indicates ultra carb sensitivity. I think everyone retains water when they eat carbs. This is why folks have big weight losses during induction. Water loss. I think when we are on the SAD we are all carrying around excess water weight and just get used to it. I know I too can blow up 5 pounds after a treat night, or after eating something w/a lot of salt in it. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Gobah --- Good work on the loss even w/the beers. Also good you exercise as much as you do, which seems to save you from gains a lot of the time---yeah, those beers are like drinking bread, all about "hops" which is just wheat. Have you ever tried to sub a vodka tonic or two? W/diet tonic of course. I know it's not your fave, but maybe that's a good thing?

Kmom ---- Welcome back! We missed you. Yeah, lack of sleep and stress are a real set up for a cheat. Happens to all of us. Your attitude is great and don't forget how well you stayed on plan for 99% of your vacation, and that's really something. Onward and downward!

Sis--- Yay for day 4! And good luck at the dinner, eating out is always challenging but it can be done LC and good. Have as many meatballs as you want, they'll fill you up and take your mind off the pasta.

Carol---Have you ever tried a BLT salad? I make a great one and now w/the fresh tomatoes it's super good. Bacon,Tomatoes, lots of crispy romaine hearts lettuce, hard boiled eggs, celery,cucumber, and creamy red wine vinegarette. It's like a fab cold casserole and so good I don't miss the bread.
Sometimes I use pork rinds for croutons too, for that crunch. SO

Are you interested in any LC bread ideas? There's a couple I count on…

Bit of a challenge tonight for me too. Going out to dinner w/BIL and SIL. They picked a tough restaurant for LC, but I've been to the menu online and found enough LC choices to satisfy me. Now all I have to do is order them and not spazz out over some carb call.

Part of my plan is to wear a new dress I bought last week. It's very slimming and wearing it will help keep me motivated. Although I started this woe for my health, can't say I'm immune to its rewards for one's vanity. Feeling slim and good in what I wear deffo makes those carbs look less inviting.
Hi Blue! I got through the pasta meal with a small salad, 2 meatballs, and only 2 small mouthfuls of pasta and then I walked away before dessert even came by. But, the next day was a grandson's birthday and I did not do so well. Mainly because I love corn on the cob and it was delicious. Plus I had some ice cream. Not a food drunk really, but did not eat well.

But back on my plan today, Day 6, and doing well.

Sis
SlegneSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #1276
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all,

Back from my appt w/more time to check in.

Gobah---Remember that ANY alcohol IS a depressant when one over imbibes. When I nip too much I get emotional and things fall out of perspective, then I wake up the next morning and realize I wasn't thinking clearly. You are a very thoughtful guy and it sounds like you're working through your funk. IMO, the less beer the sooner you'll get there, so keep up your efforts at that! And I don't think you're shallow for feeling better when you look better. I know I do. Good news is, less beer, and you get a slimmer, happier you.

Carol---I used to track even on vacations, but I stopped that, too hard to know exactly what I'm eating. But when I get home part of getting back on plan is getting back on the tracker. Last winter I stopped tracking for a couple of months and the carb creep started to roll in. Just the act of putting it down is like a girdle for me, holds me in my woe.

Sis---Good work on the banquet, and don't worry about a bad day, unless they're happening often. You did the right thing and got right back on plan, and when THAT becomes a habit, you don't gain weight, and you can keep losing it.

So, I'm over my carb laden ham lunch. Just glad I looked it up. I HAD put it in my tracker the other two times I had it, but the tracker is wrong, according to Hardee's own nutritional facts. This is a problem w/my current tracker, carb cts are added by posters and I have found a lot of them are not correct, so I've learned to double check. For instance, on my tracker it says BWW salt and vinegar wings are 0 carbs per wing. Wrong, they're 2 carbs per wing. Makes a difference if you have 8 to 10.

I don't really care if the tracker isn't exact, and I don't weight my food, NOT going there. So I know at best it's a guestimate every day, but it gives me a good ball bark. But when it's 33 grams that you thought was 0

Off to my gal pal neighborhood party w/my BLT salad and my pork rinds. On a carb budget tonight.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #1277
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portia View Post
Love this!

Hi Portia, How have you been doing on your WOE?
Old 08-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #1278
Major LCF Poster!

I went to Sprouts today and I just love that new store.
It's like a Whole Foods but I think it's better. I thought that I would buy a box of Flackers that everyone is talking about because of the high fiber count and because it is full of flax. I haven't tried them yet.
They have really good beef that they say is all grass fed and tons of veggies at great prices. Green Beans at 99cents per pound. The best part of those stores is that they are small and you can buzz around in half the time it takes to go to the mega stores.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #1279
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: michellewynos
Stats: 226/176/145
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Feb. 15, 2014
Hi all!! Just a quick post to say hi. Need to go to sleep...zzzzzz....falling asleep. Stayed at 181....so hoping for that 2 lbs to leave me, and praying it leaves before the 1st!!!! Hope everyone had a great day today!!!
michellewynos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:15 AM   #1280
Senior LCF Member

An early start to my day. The cat was in overnight so that means an early wake up for me. 3:30 seems to be "her" time. I'm going to boot camp again this morning so I'd be getting up in a little bit anyway.

I had a great LC day yesterday. It was my first really successful day in a long time. Other days I've done well all day until dinner time and then gone overboard. I'm feeling quite thin this morning. I have a week before my official weigh in.....fingers crossed that I'll see a number that doesn't shock me too badly!

I was pretty low in calories yesterday, so may need to eat a bit more today, but will keep it low carb. As a matter of fact, I may need to eat before boot camp today since I'm up so early. Feeling hungry already!

Have a great LC day everyone!
Old 08-26-2014, 03:02 AM   #1281
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Meme---never heard of Sprouts. Is that just a local store? sounds like you will be shopping there alot.

Lori, keep up the lc good work! I love that thin feeling you mentioned. beats bloaty time all the time

Blue, you are so right about getting caught on carb counts when eating out. I do get amazed when I look at restaurant food 'after' I have eaten it, thinking lower carb count and whammo, it sure is not.

---good here. had a small bowl of ice cream with kiddo when she got home from school. nothing out of control. skipped dinner so maybe that balanced at least the calories out

taking rv to warranty work at shop today with hubby. eating out at some point cause when on the road I got to feed him LOL. what a pain. I think I will just skip eating out. bring alot of water in the truck. a few slim jims and just let him go thru a drive thru somewhere and get something to eat in the truck. I am tired of being dragged into eating out all the time. It defaults into that way more than I want it to happen so I might just take control and just not eat it. eh, we shall see.

all going good so far. keeping carb count low and it seems to be making me feel a whole lot better.

everyone hold the course! and wishing some losses come our way!
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:12 AM   #1282
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
Michelle, sometimes when you have a big meal you don't gain the next day, but do gain the second day. That didn't happen with me. I think the buffet was a large meal, but it was all low carb, so it was OK. I went out yesterday and had the stuffed pork chop. I ate half of the pork chop, a couple bites of the stuffing, a couple bites of the scalloped potatoes, (drool) 1/2 cup of corn, and a cup of broccoli cheese soup. Nothing to eat the rest of the evening, and I am down another pound this morning! Yay! Now to hold onto the loss, that's the big thing.

The thing that really bugs me about paying $9 for a beef patty with a slice of cheese is that they do not deduct anything for the bun you don't get. However, if you were to request a second bun for some reason, like we used to do when we ordered a fish sandwich, they would charge you for it. Every time a low carb customer requests "no bun" that's another $1 in their pocket. Cha ching!

Food Lady, that's great about the shorts that won't stay up. I have a way to go before that happens, and I have a ton of clothes that I will be able to wear after about a 20 lbs loss, so I won't have to go shopping.

Gobah, every time I want to eat bread I will think of the chemical poisons.....

It's OK that you are vein...I wouldn't call it shallow...caring about how you look is keeping you OP with your food and exercise. That is a good thing. If none of us cared about how we look, where would that leave us? And although I'm sure your wife loves you unconditionally, looking good for her can't hurt. Right?

Lori, one of the good things about being retired...you never have to look down the barrel of another work week. One of the bad things is you no longer have any money. Glad to hear you had a good golf weekend.

Trigger, I recently bought some pumpkin seeds that are already out of the shell. Never saw them before. I am really hooked on them. And yes, the sodium that came along with them. DH usually makes them after we carve our pumpkin on Halloween, but I don't like biting through the shells.

Blue Skies, you do a good job tracking everything. I need to get back to that. It opens my eyes to where the carbs slip in when you're not looking.
Well, you know...not all bread is poison. But the buns they use in fast food places are. Of course for us LC folk, bread is just pretty much out of the question anyway.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #1283
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
Meme---never heard of Sprouts. Is that just a local store? sounds like you will be shopping there alot.

Lori, keep up the lc good work! I love that thin feeling you mentioned. beats bloaty time all the time

Blue, you are so right about getting caught on carb counts when eating out. I do get amazed when I look at restaurant food 'after' I have eaten it, thinking lower carb count and whammo, it sure is not.

---good here. had a small bowl of ice cream with kiddo when she got home from school. nothing out of control. skipped dinner so maybe that balanced at least the calories out

taking rv to warranty work at shop today with hubby. eating out at some point cause when on the road I got to feed him LOL. what a pain. I think I will just skip eating out. bring alot of water in the truck. a few slim jims and just let him go thru a drive thru somewhere and get something to eat in the truck. I am tired of being dragged into eating out all the time. It defaults into that way more than I want it to happen so I might just take control and just not eat it. eh, we shall see.

all going good so far. keeping carb count low and it seems to be making me feel a whole lot better.

everyone hold the course! and wishing some losses come our way!
Trigger, It's a national chain that has just moved into Texas and is opening one store after another. It's a lot like Trader Joes which has moved into Texas too. What I love about it is that it is smaller like all grocery stores used to be before the Mega Store mentality took over with the huge Walmarts.
They have a web-site which shows all of their locations.
My friend who lives in Colorado says she loves her Sprouts too...
Old 08-26-2014, 09:01 AM   #1284
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PACarolsue
I googled Sprouts, and the closest store to me is at least 2000 miles away! LOL Actually, since the full name is Sprouts Farmers Market any store in PA would have to close 8 months out of the year. We have a very short growing seaseon. It sounds like something I would like, though. We have Trader Joes somewhere here in W PA but not close to me, and I've never been there. Same with Whole Foods.

Gobah, I am going to continue with the thinking "all bread is poison." I need to think that way to stay away from it.

Trigger, my husband would never eat if I wasn't joining him. It's very annoying. I have to order something too. He won't eat in the car. Has to be somewhere he can sit down at a table. I don't know if his intent is to sabatage me or not. He has quit stopping for ice cream because now I simply refuse to get it. His loss.

Meme, I would never have thought about the sugar in the ham, but it does make sense. I have heard of sugar cured ham. I very rarely eat ham because it's usually too salty for my taste and my BP goes up, along with my weight from the sodium. But I do order pulled pork when eating out. I am aware of the sugar in the sauce, but I love the stuff. I eat a small portion at the restaurant and then bring the leftovers home and rinse the sauce off for the next day's lunch. I realize that there is still some sugar cooked into the meat. It's just not something I do often. Maybe 4 times a year. When I make pulled pork at home I have the sauce on the side for those who want it. All that's in the meat is the spice rub.
PACarolsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #1285
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarolsue View Post
I googled Sprouts, and the closest store to me is at least 2000 miles away! LOL Actually, since the full name is Sprouts Farmers Market any store in PA would have to close 8 months out of the year. We have a very short growing seaseon. It sounds like something I would like, though. We have Trader Joes somewhere here in W PA but not close to me, and I've never been there. Same with Whole Foods.

Meme, I would never have thought about the sugar in the ham, but it does make sense. I have heard of sugar cured ham. I very rarely eat ham because it's usually too salty for my taste and my BP goes up, along with my weight from the sodium. But I do order pulled pork when eating out. I am aware of the sugar in the sauce, but I love the stuff. I eat a small portion at the restaurant and then bring the leftovers home and rinse the sauce off for the next day's lunch. I realize that there is still some sugar cooked into the meat. It's just not something I do often. Maybe 4 times a year. When I make pulled pork at home I have the sauce on the side for those who want it. All that's in the meat is the spice rub.
CarolSue,
Sprouts is one of the many new grocery store marketing themes that they are going to when opening new stores.
Past generations loved the warehouse themed stores like SAMS and COSCO where buyers would stock up on bulk food items. This younger generation is a little different. I've read that the sales have dropped at the big warehouse stores.

Sprouts is set-up to look like a farmers market and it does have 10 times the produce that most grocery stores have but as with all grocery stores now, it is mostly imported produce from within the US or from outside the US. So most everything is available all year round and they have a very good variety of organic produce.
I know that they're in California, Colorado, Arizona, Texas for sure and it looks like they're expanding across the US.
Whole Foods started in Texas and has now spread across the US too.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:40 AM   #1286
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Meme that is interesting about sprouts. we just don't have alot of things near me. more rural NC and believe me it feels like the sticks sometimes

I am getting severly jealous. my closest trader joes is kinda far but I guess (and I said this before) get in the car and just drive. and then stock up!

CarolSue...yea the hubbys can drive us nuts, that is for sure! what gets me is I can go for days almost with no food, he needs to 'eat to survive' like every 3-4 hrs. or ya swear he is going to die HAHA...men!
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #1287
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all,

Trigger---how'd it go today? Did you manage to get the hubs to go for a drive thru? At least you can get a lettuce wrap burger there, otherwise "on the road"
places are pretty carby in my experience---mostly diners. NOTHING good right off the hiway all the way to Madison from here, in terms of sit down restaurants.

I do fine at a nice restaurant, and I often ask what's in sauces etc. I feel like usually I know what I'm eating. Sometimes I've just had to learn what's in stuff everywhere. Like cabbage is low carb, red cabbage is NOT. But the fast food places can be real tricky, as I learned yesterday. Sticking w/cheeseburger in lettuce wrap from now on.

Meme---Have read about Sprouts, very much like Trader Joes. And yeah, one of the things I LOVE about TJs is the small store model. So easy to zip in and around and out. Those warehouse places drive me crazy, specially considering they often move stuff around. You can walk for miles to cross of your list. I s'pose that's a good thing? Still, love getting in and out fast.

Carol---I think you meant to speak to me about the ham. I'm always wary of bbq sauces because I know they're loaded w/sugar. Just didn't think 3 lousy skinny pieces of sauceless ham could have 33 carbs. BTW, here's a tip on a VLC excellent, IMO, bbq sauce. It's called Guy's and you can get it here on nutrition. 1 carb per TBLS. I get the spicy and love it. Hubby grills my ribs, chops and steaks w/it now and his with his sugary stuff. Another GREAT sub.

So did ok at the gal party. Actually, good, except for 2 small homemade chocolate chip cookies. Surprised myself there as I usually don't go for the desserts. But lately my sweet tooth seems larger. I figure it's that I'm not eating all that starchy food that turns to sugar in 1 minute in your body.

But even w/the bad ham and the two cookies I still came in under calories and at about 40 carbs. Not great, but meh, not horrible either.

Today just cheese and berries so far. This GL protein powder is deffo an appetite suppressant. Although I hear that doesn't last. It is also as per other posters experience, giving me some very vivid dreams, and I had one last night that wasn't a good one. We'll see how often that happens. This is very experimental for me, and it will take a while to see if it's worth it vs. what's not worth it.

Tuna cheesies for dinner w/fresh tomatoes on top---2 slices of TJ LC bread, open faced. Feels like 2 sandwiches, love that. Should be a good carb and cal day.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:13 PM   #1288
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kauaimom
Hi everyone!

Yikes! First week of school and it is bonkers. A week full of workshops and meetings and getting my classroom ready.

More than ever, I need to be organized and ready with my LC meals.

Gotta get some new math soon!

Will write more later.

KMom 10x2
kauaimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #1289
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
Meme that is interesting about sprouts. we just don't have alot of things near me. more rural NC and believe me it feels like the sticks sometimes

I am getting severly jealous. my closest trader joes is kinda far but I guess (and I said this before) get in the car and just drive. and then stock up!

CarolSue...yea the hubbys can drive us nuts, that is for sure! what gets me is I can go for days almost with no food, he needs to 'eat to survive' like every 3-4 hrs. or ya swear he is going to die HAHA...men!
Trigger, Just take an ice chest with you. Most of those stores are offering free ice for your food. At least Whole Foods and Sprouts does, that I know.

Blue,I'm making oven fried pork chops. I'm using that recipe that is posted here for the chicken. Season meat, Dip/drench in mayo and cover with crushed pork rinds.
Can't wait it smells so good. With fresh buttered green beans. Yum!!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #1290
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaimom View Post
Hi everyone!

Yikes! First week of school and it is bonkers. A week full of workshops and meetings and getting my classroom ready.

More than ever, I need to be organized and ready with my LC meals.

Gotta get some new math soon!

Will write more later.

KMom 10x2

Kmom---

Figured you'd be a bit less present w/school starting and being a teacher. I was once a teacher myself, many years ago. Taught high school history, African history to be specific, for two years, just when this country realized there was more than just American/western history, and there I was w/more credits than anyone in African history, and I got snapped up right out of college, a hard time to find a teaching position at that point. It was a great time for me, even if it's not where I ultimately decided to go. And, to this day, ALL history is fascinating to me, still read up on it all the time, in fiction and non fiction.

I moved on, but still remember the joy of "back to school" for all of us, teachers and students alike, even if the students will never admit it .

I know you'll be very busy getting things organized and on track as the school year starts, so I know we won't hear quite as much from you for a bit, but looking forward to you finding your groove w/all the demands of a new fall, and then hearing from you more often. You are a good voice here---kind, positive, optimistic, and always w/the good recipe ideas. Whoa…that cabbage thing you recently posted really wicked my flame.