Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #781
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portia View Post
Aw thanks guys!

After a recent diagnosis of Type 2, I am on my way to meet with a low-carb author and CDE to geat my new plan. In the past I've had success with Atkins but have found it hard to get back into it after a regain.

Let's see, what else? I'm 43. Wife, mom of 2 boys, part-time attorney. Love boating and gardening. Tend towards getting overly stressed and perfectionist.

That's it - I need to catch up on this thread so I know more about each of you.
Hi Portia, I haven't posted here in a while but enjoy reading about all of these fun ladies activities.
I do the DANDR diet which is the "New Diet Revolution" 92'. Which only means that I eat fresh vegetables with my meat. I've been staying around 20g carbs. I've lost about 30lbs the past 6+ months. This past week I decided to cook some things I was eating regularly when I first started like big pot of chicken and vegetables soup, crack slaw version with ground beef, mushrooms and cabbage. Recipes that will last for several meals if I want to go back for a lunch helping or even just the broth in the chic soup for snacks...
Also going back to pork rinds, sugar free Jello, seaweed for snacks.....
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #782
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kauaimom
Welcome Portia!

This thread rocks. It is fun and full of everyday stories, and yet the main focus is always on supporting each other during our weight loss journey. We share victories and failures. Sometimes you are challenged, and sometimes you are encouraged. Either way, you know these people have your back.

I totally enjoyed my dinner at Porter Creek. I practiced saying out loud, "What can I substitute for the garlic mashed potatoes?" I was hoping those words would come out of my mouth...and they did! I substituted them for asparagus and it was relish! I had Rotisserie Sirloin. I thought it was going to be a steak, but it was more like a cut of roast beef. It was so tender and so tasty. Had the veggies that came with it, which were roasted peppers, two kinds of squash and onions. Had one small....very small...piece of bread. Overall, it was a great victory for me...and guess what? I was full afterwards, and all night! It is amazing how this all works. If I had eaten the potatoes and a lot of bread, I think there is a strong possibility I would have been hungry a few hours later.

Keep on keepin' on everyone! We can do this.

KMom 10x1
kauaimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #783
Senior LCF Member

Delish, not relish!
Old 07-18-2014, 02:04 PM   #784
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
Sounds awesome KMom!
Lori_:) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #785
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Thanks, guys! My plan is going to be 20-30 net carbs, no grain or sugar. That's it - everything else is fair game as long as carbs do not exceed 30. I'm shooting for 20 but want a range.
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #786
Senior LCF Member

Sounds like a good plan Portia!
Old 07-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #787
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Hi gals,

Home! And no matter how much I love it up there and love vacation, it is always good to be home.

Portia!--- Please do join in our cozy little thread of great gals, it's helped me more than I can say. I Look forward to getting to know you.

Trigger---OMG girl, you have no idea how hard I laughed when I got back to the hotel last night and saw your latest "visual." It was just TOO apropos.

I really lost it up there in the last day and a half. I could see my husband was perplexed by my sudden "banana peel" behavior. On our last day over my perch sandy and fries lunch he helped himself to one too many of my fry babies and got his hand slapped---metaphorically speaking of course.

Then at dinner after I had consumed half an order of flat bread pizza, and a big bowl of a pasta entree, he said "honey, I think you've done the "hog wilder" today." Cracked me up as I just introduced him to the term a couple of days ago, and like all wives, wondered if he A) really heard me and B) got it. But he sure did get it!

So then we come back to the hotel after my carbaganza and I go to our site to confess (wrote a post, it disappeared) and see your latest "visual." Was laughing so much he came over to look, and burst out laughing himself. If we can't laugh at our foibles, we're in trouble. We both thank you for helping me out with that!

Lori---Ahhh, the cruise! You lucky ducky. Use it to inspire yourself, great fodder for a mini goal.

Food Lady---Sorry to hear about the chronic pain. That's a lot on one's plate.
But sounds to me like you're a fighter---we seem to attract that type on this thread, and I love that! Also sounds like you're doing very well w/the carbs and that is saying something w/the additional challenge of being vegetarian.

Kmom---Good for you on your night out at the restaurant! Sounds to me like you did incredibly well. It's so great when you realize you can go out on a LC woe, eat well, and stay on plan. You are doing SO well. I can really feel your Cap D, and I'm so happy you've become a part of our little corner here---you're a great addition.

So I'm back in all ways, particularly back on plan TODAY. Will see the damage done on the scale tomorrow, and then just motor it off. Lots of thoughts about vacation eating, and what happened to me, but I'll share that
later.

For tonight I just offer a big hug to all my gal pals here, AND my confidence that WE CAN do this, and doing it together is the best.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #788
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portia View Post
Thanks, guys! My plan is going to be 20-30 net carbs, no grain or sugar. That's it - everything else is fair game as long as carbs do not exceed 30. I'm shooting for 20 but want a range.
Hey Portia, GOOD plan, imo.

Will make this short, as everyone here has heard it before. I did LC years ago and lost a lot of weight, but treated it like a diet, and gained it all back.

When I came back to it a year and a half ago, I could not face induction again, so I backed myself in. Started w/50 net carbs a day, and w/in a couple of months of getting my sea legs on this woe, backed myself down to about where you are aiming for now, by my own choices. I guess that's why we call it Low Carb our way, or as I often laugh about--- LCOW. Seems "COW" should not appear in a thread like this, but hey, it sure does.

I have lost 47 pounds, well---at least I had before vacation (and I know how to get back on plan and get rid of vacation consequences). All in all I'm here to tell you, you CAN have a really nice woe on LC, one where you are satisfied and happy, most of the time. Not to mention losing weight and being healthier. Stick around, you'll see!
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:38 PM   #789
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaimom View Post
I practiced saying out loud, "What can I substitute for the garlic mashed potatoes?" I was hoping those words would come out of my mouth...and they did! I substituted them for asparagus and it was relish!

If I had eaten the potatoes and a lot of bread, I think there is a strong possibility I would have been hungry a few hours later.

Keep on keepin' on everyone! We can do this.

KMom 10x1
NOW THAT is a diehard LC gal

and you are right. the potatoes would be a HUGE trigger. at least the small bread was soaked up with fat and veggies so it didn't have a big effect.

I am asparagus lover to the max. YUM. great sub for sure!!

Portia, good plan for sure. 20-30 is a great range. Start in that area and you can go a little up or down if needed as you progress.
carbs effect everyone so different. some need a bit more to lose, some have to go lower to lose. You will find what fits ya perfect and run from there!!

Meme---that is a good idea to go back to foods we ate when we started. when I need to control myself more I realize I stopped making some of my best meals that actually help me lose weight fast. It is good to keep those meals on hand and eat them again.

----so I tried to put a foal halter on miss ellie. holy. that little bugger is like a frieght train. wish I put one on about 2 weeks of age. she will be 1 month old on the 20th. got my riding friend coming tomorrow so we can halter this baby and get her started on ground work and manners. what a pain, but what fun LOL

-------I like our little thread ya'll. keep on chatting away. we got this and will make it work for each of us our own little way!!!!
Old 07-18-2014, 08:39 PM   #790
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
NOW THAT is a diehard LC gal

and you are right. the potatoes would be a HUGE trigger. at least the small bread was soaked up with fat and veggies so it didn't have a big effect.

I am asparagus lover to the max. YUM. great sub for sure!!

Portia, good plan for sure. 20-30 is a great range. Start in that area and you can go a little up or down if needed as you progress.
carbs effect everyone so different. some need a bit more to lose, some have to go lower to lose. You will find what fits ya perfect and run from there!!

Meme---that is a good idea to go back to foods we ate when we started. when I need to control myself more I realize I stopped making some of my best meals that actually help me lose weight fast. It is good to keep those meals on hand and eat them again.

----so I tried to put a foal halter on miss ellie. holy. that little bugger is like a frieght train. wish I put one on about 2 weeks of age. she will be 1 month old on the 20th. got my riding friend coming tomorrow so we can halter this baby and get her started on ground work and manners. what a pain, but what fun LOL

-------I like our little thread ya'll. keep on chatting away. we got this and will make it work for each of us our own little way!!!!
Just wait until you start training her to lead. All I can say is buy a good pair of gloves to hold the rope so you don't get rope burn when you start. When she gets bigger, you can train her to lead while your on horseback. And me I have my St Bernard puppy who is 10 weeks old and weighing in at 25 lbs now. Lots of work but lots of fun......
Old 07-19-2014, 03:09 AM   #791
Senior LCF Member

Morning Gals!

I slept in till 5:30 this morning! What a treat!

I'll be heading for the golf course about 8:30. Our grandson(10) is coming in a little while to go out in the boat with Pappy. He has a little 16' fishing boat. They'll have a blast. We live right along the river and they have fun doing a bit of fishing and puttering around.

I so enjoy popping on here and reading how you all are going with your eating. Good ideas all around! As I've said before, the summer is harder for me with all the "social" things and hanging out at the golf course, but I wouldn't change it for the world. Life is to be enjoyed after all. The thing to remember is that a big part of the enjoyment comes from being healthy and happy with yourself. For me, being strong and in control of my weight is part of the "being happy". Just think how happy I'll be when I get this last 25 off!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Old 07-19-2014, 04:42 AM   #792
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Meme, already 25 lbs. WOOF! that is a big puppy in fact that doggie will BE a small horse when grown HAHA. What did you name the pup?
Yes I will be decked out to take control of the horse today. I never trained, in fact hubby is the horse trainer in the family. I am going to have to get him to help me. we raised spotted saddle horses for many years on the farm. We have also been out of that biz for a while now but I know hubby will help me when I have to 'really' get into working her.

Lori you are absolutely right life is to be enjoyed ! As I get older I sure live by that statement. BUT REMEMBER, food shouldn't be the total enjoyment. WE MUST start to change our thinking about what social fun is and how us LC people handle it. and YES I AM working on this right now big time LOL

------good morning all

easy food today. keeping it simple. that always works best for me.

bacon and eggs later when hungry
tuna and mayo for lunch with some finger food like pepperoni and bit of cheddar
dinner toss up between country style pork ribs on the grill or thinking about doing some grilled shrimp on skewers. Hmm...heck I might do both
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:01 AM   #793
Major LCF Poster!

Trigger, We haven't settled on a name yet. We keep going back and forth and the poor little fella responds to Puppy now. I say it needs to be two syllables to call out his name better but IDK. Daughter likes Bo, husband likes Ziggy because white going over his head has a zig zag, I was calling him Brutus for a while. It's hard to decide.
I helped a friend halter train a filly years ago and it was soooooo fun LOL. Since I was riding backseat, I was the lucky one to hold the lead rope for the filly. Start early because the bigger they get the harder it is. How did the halter thing go? They go crazy at first but get used to it shortly. Just make sure there is nothing she can get hooked up on. I have a mare now that I can't keep a halter on, she finds a way to get it off every time.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #794
Senior LCF Member

It's Saturday! A great day to eat lc and be thankful for this woe. We can eat tasty, healthy food and feel full. We can feel steady. We can feel in control. In case you didn't realize it, I am feeling a mega Cap D this morning! Hope you guys are too!

Meme: 30 lbs. in 6 months. A great accomplishment. And just a start for a continued woe that works. I like your idea of getting back to what worked at the beginning. I am going to do that also. I have a tomato/veggie soup I love. I also like the idea of just sipping the broth for a snack. I love how we can learn from each other. I haven't tried the Crack Slaw, but plan to soon.

Blue: You may have "lost it up there for the last day or so"...but you have "found it" again now. I don't know. Sometimes I think maybe it is OK if we do what you did. I can tell you enjoyed every morsel of what you ate. Sure, it was off plan, but now you are back ON PLAN and you will lose it. It will cost you a few more days, but in the big picture....is it really such a big deal? Just thinking more about this lately. I think in a week or two both you and Trigger will be back to your low numbers. And you got to enjoy some good tasting food in the meantime. Oh, I forgot about your question about the egg whites. That is left over from the Dukan Diet. I remember reading they are so good for you. But naturally, I can't remember why.

Lori: So glad you are enjoying life so much and soon it will be back to the plan and losing that last 25 lbs! Imagine next summer being at goal weight and just trying to maintain or only put on a few pounds...and then again the next fall being back at goal. Wish I had this plan!

Trigger: Yes, we will make it work for us...each in our own little way. I feel confident about this group of people. Imagine all of us a year from now! And we will have done it together! I am pumped about this! Thanks for posting what you eat. I want to keep it simple too.

Portia: How is it going? I am doing about the same plan as you.

FoodLady: Hope your Saturday is a great one.

OK...I am so excited about my lunch. I am going to have FOUR open face BLT's. I will cut a semi-frozen onion roll (2 net carbs for whole roll, I think) into four vertical pieces. Then I will put some mayo, Romaine lettuce, half slice tomato and 1/2 piece bacon on all of them. I will arrange it cute and put them in a row on a plate (I can't use more bacon because of the sodium content). Then I will have a cold Hansen's Tangerine Lime with it. I will figure out carbs, but I don't think there are many. May even put a strawberry on the plate! The taste will be amazing. It will be a healthy lunch. I will feel full enough and will feel good about myself. Love this woe. Love this thread.

KMom 10x1
Old 07-19-2014, 08:24 AM   #795
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KM you sure are working that CapD great for you!
lunch sounds fab. it is great when the lc foods make ya smile and you want to dive in and be satisfied!! keep on rocking it. I love your attitude.

meme---I gotta say Ziggy is sound OH SO CUTE for sure LOL I like the sound of that...ZIGGY!!!!! let us know tho when ya decide. I call the horse Baby and it is responding to that a bit. miss ellie is just too long to say

Well Barb came over. we were pathetic. She tried to grab her and I said don't bother cause you can't hold her and she tried and got whooped in the process....then she was hard to get. We did the dance for about 10 mins. and hubby came down. OH YEA. he grabbed her and held on and Barb got the halter on and I got the lead rope on the halter and then we put the big lead around her neck.

let her go and all h*ll broke loose

we tied her and she hit the ground many times. choking. struggling etc. IT WAS SO SAD I HAD TO WALK AWAY A FEW TIMES. just broke my heart but I know if we don't get that control NOW the bigger she gets the worse it will be.

Thankfully she has a great personality laid back like Momma Jade. Within 1/2 hr she was standing instead of freaking and hitting the ground and choking----then we started leading her in the pasture. Again all over the place but within another 20 mins or so she was walking with hubby behind her. She still hasn't got it obviously, alot of work to do.
BUT we tied her up again for about 15 mins. and she didn't struggle.

Then we walked her again and she did ok til the stubborn kicked in and she didn't want to move LOL but we made her.

Let her go and she and mom hung around the barn while we cleaned up. Went up to her and she didn't flinch. petted her and she didn't run, nothing. just same old good personality so I am happy we didn't make her scared of us.

this is going to be a ton of work.

thankful for hubby. he did the job and he knows how to do it and does it well.

-----tired today all. just gonna kick back and relax a bit. ate my bacon and eggs a bit ago, now time to watch some tv and chill. gonna work with baby tonight again and bit and get into a routine of training the little sucker.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #796
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all,

Meme---30 pounds down, fantastic. And gotta say, agree w/Trig, something VERY fun about Ziggy. Cute little name for such a big doggie, love the contrast.

Kmom---Your lunch sounds yummy. Love me some BLTs and I too often make open faced sandwiches w/my LC breads, as it feels like more, takes longer to eat, more satisfying to me.

And I agree w/you, the vacation banana peel isn't going to matter w/in a week for me, and I did enjoy most of it. More on that below.

Trigger---I love hearing the "baby" stories, and like that name too. Because she was a surprise baby, it just seems right that would be her name forever. I'm in awe of people who can and do things I never have, like training a horse. Your hubby sounds awesome at it. Yes, she will be a lot of work, all living things are, but so worth it in the end I think.

Well gals, up 4 pounds from when I left for vacation. Not as bad as I thought it might be, and those 4 pounds are goners because I'm back on plan with a CapD. (love that Kmom)

I've thought a lot about what was going on for me in those last days of vacation, because I don't ever want to be mindless about the way I eat, as I have been in the past.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I felt this little panic on my last 2 days there, that I hadn't had enough treats and wouldn't have any excuse when I got back, because back from vacation means back on plan for me, no matter what. And I started with those 3 pieces of french bread, the "what the heck" bug had bit and the swelling ensued, LOL.

Some on this board don't believe in vacation treats, or any treats at all, and that's good for them, but that will never be me. I love good food and that's not going to change, and trying to change it only causes me to feel deprived, which is for me, like waving a red flag at a bull. I believe one must know one's self and work w/what is realistic.

And here's the good news. Unlike for many, those cheats did not result in me craving carbs now that I'm home. I feel very lucky for that. In fact, I'm RELIEVED to be back on my woe. I had bread, fries and pasta, scratched that itch, and now it's over for a long while, but I know somewhere, on some fine night, I'll enjoy them again.

But I'm NOT GOING BACK. That is my #1 mantra. Been there done that, have the XL t-shirt, haha. Yep, I want it that bad. I also want these last 15 pounds gone, and one way or the other, I'll get there, couple of cheats a long the way, no worries.

Plus, gotta tell y'all, I have too much money invested in cute stuff to wear now, and I need to tend my investment, . Got some stuff on vacation that is actually yummier than the carbs I ate, and will last a lot longer.

Today I'm doing a mini fast. Nothing to eat yet, lots of water. Maybe a little snack mid afternoon. Then Buffalo Wild wings salt and vinegar dry rubs for dinner. Haven't gone grocery shopping since getting home and the cupboards are pretty bare. Too lazy to go today, will do it tomorrow. So I figured I'd just kind of fast myself through the day.

Hope everyone is having a good day on plan---we all feel better when we do. Much better.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #797
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blue---I 'know and am personal' with that feeling of panic. When I realize I had a higher carby vacation, the panic sets in 'like ya gotta' eat more cause you know when ya get home it is over. THAT is a weird situation and feeling isn't it?

It does sound like you are 'doing this your own way' and it is working so well for you. so happy about that! you are finding your pattern. that is key I think. find what works for you no matter what others are doing around ya or what you read etc. DO WHAT works for you! words to live by for sure.

My dinner changed tonight. hubby wants chicken wings. got a huge pack. raining cats and dogs outside, no grilling. not worth it. So I am doing my buffalo wings. hubby of course is doing the sugar bbq sauce he loves.

Wings---gotta love them
Old 07-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #798
Major LCF Poster!

Trig---yep, it's weird when "putting the pedal to the metal" on bad choices somehow feels the thing to do. But y'know, I don't think I made the wrong decision when I decided to indulge in a bit of a carbaganza. Key words here are "a bit, " and w/the understanding that this is now the exception to the rule.

And hey, I really DO UNDERSTAND it must be the exception to the rule if I'm to hold on to the results and joy of my hard work, and If I'm "not going back." And I'm not. I write this over and over again for me, want to see my best voice in black and white.

And now, it's chicken wing time! Hubby just picked them up, and to me they look like a feast.

Will come in today darn low on calories, and at about 25 carbs. Back to the tracker today, back to the scale. SIGH, vacation is really over…for now.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #799
Senior LCF Member

Ahhhh.....

Just sipping away at my Black Cherry Frappe. So good. Thanks, Blue, for sharing the recipe with me. I pretended I was at a quaint ice cream store and this was their special of the day. It cost $7.95 because of all the rich flavors. Every sip was scrumptious! And it was really just a half can of Hansen's diet black cherry, a little HWC, and some ice eaten at my own house!
Old 07-19-2014, 07:19 PM   #800
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

wow, sounds delish.

I can't find diet black cherry anywhere around my home.

diet drinks aren't in abundance on the shelves. sugar soda takes over.

what a disappointment.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #801
Major LCF Poster!

I had a couple of fat bomb cream/CO coffees this evening and I don't know if they help with weight loss but they sure were good!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #802
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

off to visit mom and dad at the lake.

no breakfast.

lunch will be tuna and mayo with some pepperoni slices and chunk cheddar

dinner, not sure. probably 2 big old bacon cheeseburgers on the grill if it isn't pouring cats and dogs. I love burgers on the grill and the frying inside taste is so bland.
hope weather cooperates.

getting water'ed out. diet soda today sometime to cut the boredom.

I have 13 days til aug. 3 and vacation. going to do almost 0 carb all these days and see what I can drop before I go. starting yesterday.....so should be interesting to see what I can do.

---I sure wish I liked coffee. just the fancy ways people deck them out and make them sound delish grabs my attention, but coffee is bleck to me big time. but I love they way they love their cups

Last edited by Trigger828; 07-20-2014 at 06:59 AM..
Old 07-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #803
Major LCF Poster!

K-mom---So glad you're enjoying those "liquid dreamsicles." I'm off to Trader Joe's to replenish my supply of Hansons today. These little beauties really satisfy my itch for something sweet and cold, like ice cream. Now I want to try Food Lady's "malt" which for me will be malt powder, HWC, crushed ice, and maybe some SF vanilla sweetener.

Trigger---You can order Hanson's diet sodas on Amazon, and they come in these fab flavors: Black Cherry, Tangerine lime, Root beer, Stawberry Kiwi, Jamaican GingerAle, and Pomegranate. AND, NO aspartame, NO caffeine, so NO issues for you. Yeah, you'll pay a bit more w/the shipping, but I don't know about you, but for me stuff that helps me w/this woe is my ultimate luxury right now, and I'm willing to pay a bit more to have the best, healthiest, most delicious options, not to mention a lot of variety.

I Like your new plan. 13 days is doable and I can tell you're already in the zone. Then when you get on vacation, just eat all your meals in your swimming suit. That might help. Seriously though, if you leave for vacation in the zone, and hold off till the last few days before treats, the damage will be minimal.

Good day yesterday. Tiny drop this morning. But I can really feel the bloat going down. It's amazing how fast that happens when you cut the carbs and up the water.

Woke up feeling like something fruity and refreshing, so I made one of my FAVE LC treats, I think you'd like this one K-mom. You take 1/2 cup of frozen berries out of the freezer, this AM it was raspberries, but I also do it w/blackberries. Throw them in a bowl, pour HWC over them, a bit of sweetener, and a sprinkle of sunflower seeds. The berries are still frozen so they make the HWC even colder, and have a texture like a slushy, then the bit of salt and nut from the sunflower seeds to contrast w/the sweet of the fruit. At night I do it with whipped cream. mmmmmmmmm. About 5 or 6 carbs.

Happy girl back on her woe.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #804
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Let's see if I can get everyone here!

Blue: great job getting back on track and your stats are really impressive!

Kauaimom - oh that sounds amazing. Assume you live in Kauai? I love your attitude! What is Cap D?

Trigger - food plan looks great and is giving me ideas!

Food Lady: you're on the right path to avoid a dx like mine.

Meme - 30 lbs is awesome - wow!!

Has anyone else here been diagnosed with Diabetes? My Dr. says it's 100% weight-related and I can reverse it if I lose weight. I guess that's sort of motivating, but also terrifying.

I met with two different diabetes educators last week, both low carb focused. The each handed me a food plan and were like "eat this." It was so... I don't know. Not sure what I was expecting. Tips? Strategies? Recipes. Help with cravings. Not sure but ultimately I was disappointed. I tried communicating to the second one what I needed but she kept repeating that she had given me what I needed - a food plan - and if I had cravings, just eat off the plan.

Ultimately I know that it all comes down to me. I have my plan - 20-30 carbs, no sugar, no grains - and it suppose it really is that simple.

Perhaps my expectations were unreasonable. Honestly I found more info and inspiration on this board in an hour than either of those CDE's gave me, so maybe I can do this "on my own."

I would, however, love some "recommended reading" if anyone here has read a low-carb related book that they found especially inspiring.

Have a great day everyone!

Jes (Portia)

Portia's Journal
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #805
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Portia---

I was diagnosed with borderline Diabetes 2 a year and a half ago. Doc said lose weight or go on meds. That's when I began this LC woe.

And yes a thousand times, you will learn more here imo then from most "nutritional" experts of any kind. I think that's partially because you can read about so many folk's experiences here, and some of them have been doing this a long time. I could never list all the things I've learned here, the good recipes and recs, the "emotional/mental component" of staying on plan, product recommendations, and of course a place to come to every day and find your commitment---which is how this place works for me.

It is "that simple," and not. Yes, if you cut out the white foods, it will work, but there's so MUCH to learn about HOW and WHAT will work for you, specifically, which is something no one can tell you, but that you must evolve into. My woe today looks pretty different than when I started, thanks to discovering and learning what works for me.

One thing that really focuses and motivates me is reading all I can about WHY this works, so I always like being asked for book recs. Once I realized the physical/physiological thing that happens when I eat carbs, and Lord I used to be a carb hound, it's never been as fun since, LOL. I can SEE how it works now, no denial left.

So the first book I always recommend is "Why we get Fat" by Gary Taubes. Excellent summary of the most important facts. And interestingly, he is not a doctor, but rather a scientific investigative reporter---which informs his book with some amazing facts about our current nutrition and medical industry. This book changed my life and how I look at food. (There is also an article he wrote before the book came out---short version---google "What if it's all been a big fat lie," by Gary Taubes in the NYT. The article is old now but what he says is not.)

Then I would suggest "The Art and Science of Low Carb Living." Bigger book, skimmed some of it, but another excellent foundational book that taught me a lot.

Also, "The great Cholesterol Myth." This is a must read for discussions w/doctors who want to throw you on statins at the drop of a hat.

That should get you started.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #806
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Portia...also hit the internet. type and search Low Carb and Diabetes. Such great sites will come up it will blow you away.

My mother in law diagnosed. Dr. said lose weight and walk about 30 mins...move the body. Nope. She went on pills. Dr. said lose weight and walk a bit....then ya get off pills, or you progress to shots. SHE IS ON SHOTS. Wouldn't lift a finger to help herself and I never understand that. inhales bread/rolls/pastry like it is air.

YOU CAN absolutely control and reverse your numbers. all of them. bp, sugar, cholesterol, triglic etc etc.

LC eating is such a benefit for health...no denying that!

MIL was told lower carb but also stressed kinda lower fat. Not many ever say EAT HIGHER far when ya cut the carbs to satisfy yourself. They just can't do it LOL. then when I read the diet they gave her, it was stressing oatmeal for fiber. hmmm.....I said avoid that. OH NO, she likes that and it is on her list. Holy.....

You will be fine and the results you get will be amazing! Rock into LC and give it a great try and see the good results!!

Last edited by Trigger828; 07-20-2014 at 11:46 AM..
Old 07-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #807
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yea Blue I might have some delivered cause I bite the bullet on lc bread at a huge cost, why not soda LOL

holy cow....bread and soda. AND THESE are my highest priced items for lc coming into the home. I should be horse whipped

but I sure need some things to make it long term....
Old 07-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #808
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Food Lady
Portia, I just want to throw a "You can do it!!" your way. I know you are at a lower carb level than me, and it can be really hard, but low carb breads might help, and cocoa powder is my friend. I always want chocolate, and I can make so many things with fat, cocoa (1 net gram per tablespoon), and sweetener. I'm having a mocha latte right now, made with decaf espresso, coconut milk, sweetener, and cocoa (dark and natural mix). It's a yummy end to my lunch. Oh and here's the best, best encouragement: my stepmom isn't low-carb, but she did lose like 50 pounds on Weight Watchers, and her formerly high blood sugar reads are now normal. And the first week I cut out sugar, I was getting a post-prandial of 85--totally normal. Oh, and also I will have to find it, but I found a blog about diabetes in which the writer stated she'd read that some research suggests that beta cells in your pancreas might be able to regenerate. I'm sure the jury's still out on that one, but I know my mom's kidney shrivelled up and basically died and when she took measures to help her kidney health, it *started functioning again*. Her doctor was totally amazed. The body wants to be healthy and can heal itself sometimes. So, hold onto that hope. I'm in your corner!
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #809
Senior LCF Member

Hello All!

I had a nice, long post typed out this morning, hit submit and poof! That has been happening to me a lot lately.

I had an early wake up call this morning, 3AM. BAT IN THE HOUSE!!!! That just freaks me out. Thank goodness husband can deal with that while I hide in the bedroom. Then cat came in and came to bed with us. She laid on my feet for 2 hours and then decided it was time to get up.

I just got home from the golf course. I'm tired! I did ride a cart today since it was hot & humid. We had fun, but I didn't play as well as yesterday. Whatever, I'm just lucky to be able to be out there chasing that little white ball around.

Back on the straight and narrow with the LC tomorrow. We go on a little vacation starting Wednesday. We'll be back Friday evening. We're going to a professional women's golf tournament in Maryland. Should be fun.

Hope you've all had a good weekend!
Old 07-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #810
Senior LCF Member

Hi Everyone!

So Cap D (Portia..Capital D Determined) today. I just really like this woe. How great is that to be losing weight, feeling healthy, and eating tasty food. I still marvel at all of this.

Had four open face tuna sandwiches on my cut vertically onion pocket. So delish. Put a little celery and onion in the tuna with mayo, a thin strip of swiss cheese on the top of each one, and then a small amount of tomatoes AFTER I melted the cheese! Onion pocket is 2 NC, so the whole lunch was probably only 3-4.

Had another Diet Black Cheery Frappe today. Blue, for sure will try your recipe of the raspberries, HWC, little sweetener and sunflower seeds. I have raspberry bushes so will have some fresh ones soon!

Bought some wings from Costco. I made them in the microwave last night and they were very gooey. I like them more crisp. Plan to make them in the toaster oven for supper. Also plan to go to Buffalo Wild Wings on Tuesday and get some for 50 cents each! Thanks for that tip, Blue.

Another day of a steady feeling, eating healthy, and feeling good about myself.

I was kind of smiling the other day. When I tried that egg and meat plan for two days, it was like I went on a diet. This woe of eating is not a diet for me. It is how I eat now. Sure, I might try something once in a while for a boost, and THAT feels like a diet to me, but not this woe of eating. This feels like my new normal. Hope that makes sense.

KMom 10x1