Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #691
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
Down another 1.2 today!!!Leaving for Wichita in a few hours so I wanted to wish
EVERYONE HAVE A HAPPY & SAFE 4TH OF JULY.
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND THANK YOU LORD FOR OUR FREEDOM. AND TO ALL THOSE THAT HAVE SERVED TO KEEP IT THAT WAY & THEIR FAMILES!!
Berta48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #692
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
Safe travels Berta!!!
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #693
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berta48 View Post
Down another 1.2 today!!!Leaving for Wichita in a few hours so I wanted to wish
EVERYONE HAVE A HAPPY & SAFE 4TH OF JULY.
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND THANK YOU LORD FOR OUR FREEDOM. AND TO ALL THOSE THAT HAVE SERVED TO KEEP IT THAT WAY & THEIR FAMILES!!
YEA Berta
Meme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #694
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Hi all,

KMom---I too have loved learning so much about his woe. I posted on a thread in the ML that it's like a hobby to me. I just keep adding new things and new parts and I find it very interesting. And I'll tell you, the more you learn, the easier and more enjoyable this woe gets.

Lori---OK, I'm picturing that dress, slim and trim and elegant on you. AND a MEDIUM! I'm so glad so many commented. When that happens, it's all worth it, including the tortuous boot camp!

Meme---Great story about burger guy. Love that he just did his own thing against the prevailing winds and scored!

Trigger---I loves me some Hardees. Think their burgers are lightyears better than other fast food places. My Hardees always wraps the lettuce wrap in a nice neat paper wrap, although as you get down to the end it does get a bit messy, but I've learned how to do it. Luckily the lettuce I've had in my wraps has always been crisp and good w/the burger---1/3 thick burger cheeseburger for me every time. YUM and just 6 blocks from my house! Also, Hardees gives you full nutritional info on their site, including carbs w/out the bun.

And hey, are you feeling the effects of Arthur? Perhaps you are very inland and not as effected.

Berta---You are succeeding at this woe, Yay! Happy travels.

Down another pound to 180.4 this AM. The bloat is going faster this time than when I got back from Madison. I am drinking lots of water, no doubt about it for me, that helps immensely.

Today I finally finished pulling our porch together, better late than never. Oh gals, it's so pretty! I have strung carnival lights across the beams and it feels like a country fair on a beautiful summer night in there. Also have added other little flourishes, on top of having repainted the floor. My oh my, it's just a lovely outdoor room.

Tomorrow we will have a little dinner party on the porch w/some pals before we go to a Garrison Keeler taping for his radio show---so much fun to actually SEE as well as hear. Most of you may not know who he is, but he's a Minnesota institution and his shows are lovely. Plus a good pal of mine sings with him, and she will be performing tomorrow night too. Can't wait.

I'm summer happy tonight, and looking forward to a grilled steak w/bousin cheese on top, and a tomato, basil mozzarella salad. How lucky are we that know the possibilities of great LC eating?
Old 07-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #695
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Food Lady
I'd love to see Garrison live! My friend was considering moving to Rochester (?) to work at the Mayo Clinic at the time she introduced me to Prairie Home Companion. We were in California at the time. Now I live in WI and I listened to it for a few years when I had Sundays off. I guess you don't *really* get the jokes until you've lived in the upper midwest.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:53 AM   #696
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Blue your porch sounds like a little bit of heaven I wish I was good at design. I am not one of those....when I 'put things together' in a room it comes out looking very eccentric LOL. not a magazine cover by any shot.

Your party also sounds fun! Enjoy the 4th to the fullest!!

Berta---Congrats. You keep on rocking it gal! When you do find what works, work it hard and get those results. ALWAYS an eye on the carbs. We know all carbs are not created equal healthy eating is key.

----Happy 4th everyone.
big old storm came in last night. leaves in the pool JUST after I cleaned it to the max. drives me bonkers. Went in the pool this morning and swam a bit, got the leaves out, cleaned it up some and it looks good. very windy outside. storms still around? pop ups thru the day?? who knows but it is nice and sunny right now.

heading to mom and dads lake house. Richard and family down from NJ for a long weekend. Rich (bro) went to SC real fast with Dad and got $500 in fireworks to shoot off the dock. Should be a blast, literally HAHA.

the firework display some of the houses put on is wonderful. one guy must spend a few thousand dollars in his display. He is only like 4-5 docks down and we get the full hit from the back porch. We have such fun. Our own fireworks all over the lake, blasting everywhere from the comfort of your own rocking chair LOL

Nicole kinda sick all week. threw up yesterday, blah today. gonna keep an eye on her and when we get to moms if she is icky she can hit the bedroom and sleep a bit. what a time to not be feeling good, but she seems slowly on the mend from whatever got her.

new toilet is in and hubby hates the seat. we love it. told him not to use it, just go to the other bathroom HAHA. I love new shiny clean things!! gonna now work on the vanity and new light in there....just to spruce it up. but for me, I am bad at even picking colors etc. So gonna take my time before I start buying all kinds of things that don't fit together. new towel racks, light fixture, shower curtain (which has to contain pink in some form cause this is 'mostly' kiddo's bath and guest use this bath. but with trips and such will delay this til she goes back to schoola and all quiets down.

off in a bit.....everyone be good. a few drinks for me of course but going to hold more to LC definitely. ribs at moms. gonna make a bunch of bacon in a bit for lunch before we head out and stuff myself. bringing some LC bread and a bagel with me 'just in case'. rather use that than any other stuff. best be prepared!

have fun all!!!!

Last edited by Trigger828; 07-04-2014 at 06:55 AM..
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #697
Major LCF Poster!

Happy 4th everyone!

Food Lady---Happy to hear you know what I mean about Garrison, (plus, Wisconsin is my home state.) You'd think since it's a radio show it wouldn't be fun to watch, but it really is. Lots of musicians and skits, and of course as always and my fave part, Garrison's soliloquy. They're often so poignant, and a bit funny too. I think tonight being the 4th it will be very special.

Trigger---Wow, your 4th sounds so fun! Nice to have the whole family there, and nothing like being on the water for the 4th, imo, particularly with all those docks and fireworks shows. Hope the kiddo perks up for it.

Love the way you are preparing for the food part of it. Yeah, those LC breads and for me the rinds, really save us at some of these celebrations/get togethers that revolve around food.

Sending you an e-mail about your bathroom, have some ideas/tips for you.
It's what I do for a living, can't help myself, feel free to ignore them, LOL.

Well gals, I got a great surprise this morning on the scale. 178.8! Over a pound down. Didn't think I'd get there before vacation. Been eating very clean, but that doesn't always do it. couldn't get under 180 after Madison. Also, LOTS of water and voila, a baby whoosh these last few days. Now I'm hoping I can get to my low of 177 before I leave---then I can zoom right back up, LOL. But the more I get down there, the more my body adjusts to it and get ready to go even lower.

Lots to do before my guests arrive, off to make part of dinner, and tidy up.
Have a great and happy 4th y'all.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #698
Major LCF Poster!

You are great gal Blue! thank you friend
Old 07-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #699
Senior LCF Member

Blue, my dad grew up here. I was born in CA. He moved back and I followed because the cost of living is lower. I do like that we have actual seasons here.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #700
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kauaimom
Happy Fourth of July everyone. The day is almost over. I had a very peaceful, restful day. And also a GREAT lc day!

I was perusing the recipes on this site and got a little overwhelmed. I got to thinking...when I used to eat the "other way," I still had my favorites. Oh, I would try a new recipe that was popular at the time, but then forget about it. Then a few years later someone would serve it and I would think...I made this before! So no matter how many new recipes I tried and loved, it seemed I always went back to the goos 'ole standbys my family loved.

So I think I want to do that with lc. I want to get 10 -15 recipes that I love...and make those. Oh, I will still look at new recipes, but not feel like I need to try them or make them a part of my eating plan.

Don't know if this makes sense to you guys. It was actually very freeing today when I came to this conclusion.

But then again...if I DO find a new recipe that I love, it just might in fact become a regular!

KMom
kauaimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #701
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all,

Checking in again late. We had the best time tonight! Great dinner on our back porch, and then to the Prairie Home Companion 40th Year celebration concert w/Garison Keillor. It was outside at McCalester college, close enough to us to walk to. Oh gals, it was such a gorgeous night---cool breeze, hundreds of folks sitting out on the lawn, and almost 3 hours of fabulous music, including the Wailin' Jennys, who I adore---harmonies that almost break your heart they're so beautiful. Lots of other artists as well, including my good pal and her sister. Nights like this don't come around all that often, and I enjoyed it to the max.

Trigger---My pleasure.

Food Lady---I love the four seasons too. Winter can be a bear here, but I like it anyway, it just goes on too long. But I love the changes from season to season. I'd be bored in San Diego with all that same oldperfect weather every day, LOL, although most consider it paradise.

Kmom---I TOTALLY understand what you're saying. When I began LC, I made all kinds of stuff, which is funny because I've never cooked before. Hubby is the cook in our family. But like you said, I've got it down to my faves now, and yeah, occasionally I make something new, but mostly I know what I like and I stick to it. I find the new things I like now are simpler and easier then some of the earlier stuff.

Glad you had such a peaceful, restful day!

Oh, and btw, I did well on the woe today. A bit higher in carbs than usual, because I had one slice of hubby's HOMEMADE RIGHT OUT OF THE OVEN, baguette, with lots of butter. Now whose going to say no to that? But dinner was a cold cucumber soup, YUM, and I made a big salad with cold chicken. Skipped hubby's fantastic rhubarb crumble dessert. So all's well that ends well, and it's time to put this lovely night to bed.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #702
Senior LCF Member

Happy belated 4th
We cooked the best brisket ever. Full of that yummy fat that I used to throw away.
Even the dog is happier now...lol
Old 07-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #703
Senior LCF Member

Hi Everyone!

Sounds like you all are having a fabulous weekend! I have 2 days of golf down and 1 to go. Beautiful weather. Nothing special going on with the eating...some good, some not so good. I'll be ready to get back on the straight and narrow come Monday morning.

Lovin' the 3 day weekend!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:54 PM   #704
Major LCF Poster!

Hi gals,

Another late check in. Tonight we were invited to a friend's house for dinner, which was very nice after working all day yesterday to have others to dinner.

This is a swell pal of ours, who knows my woe and is always so accommodating when she has us to dinner. Good carby stuff for others, but always special care taken to make sure there's LC options for me.

I know it's best not to talk too much about our woe to others, but she's a good friend and so of course she knows what's going on in my life. She's seen me struggle to lose the same 50 pounds before, and is very supportive. I am blessed to have friends like this.

So it was a good LC day, no cheats, no treats. Wow, I can't believe how many things we have had going on lately, and more to come this week and then vacation. Talk about a "boot camp" in how to stay reasonably on plan through it all!

But w/every day, week, and month I remain committed to this woe, I find better and easier ways to do it, and I feel the sheer strength of the habit of eating this way growing in me. Good thing too, because this just simply must be a life style for me, not a diet, not a temporary intermission before another carb extravaganza period of my life. NOT going back.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #705
Senior LCF Member

I had a second lunch today: a plain latte and a chocolate croissant. I'm still under carbs for the day, but for those 40 in the croissant I could've had a bunch of veggies. I decided dinner would be salad. I'm going to make some kind of low-carb muffins for breakfasts, and I'll have one tonight. I'm thinking coconut lime. I'll use soy flour and coconut flour probably.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:18 AM   #706
Major LCF Poster!

whew, had a great 4th. glad it is done now.

leave wed. for the beach for 4 day trips. shorty. get us away but not too long.

today is eat super clean and VLC. tired. and more tired

just taking it easy today, not doing much, gonna swim and relax. get some stuff into the RV. all good here

hope everyone made it thru the 4th ok.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:40 AM   #707
Senior LCF Member

Great night's sleep and ready for yet another day on the golf course! Yesterday I rode 9 and walked 9, but today I'll walk the whole round as I did on Friday. I'll be a tired pup till I get home. Glad for all the exercise as my eating has not been stellar this weekend. No worries..Monday is coming!

Trig...hope you have beautiful beach weather the end of the week.

Blue....sounds like you have had a wonderful, on plan Holiday weekend! Kudos to you!

Enjoy your Sunday everyone!
Old 07-06-2014, 06:51 AM   #708
Senior LCF Member

We went out last night and had the nicest meal at a little French restaurant.
I had escargot for appetizer, duck entrée with spinach and red cabbage for sides. I was going to ignore the red cabbage or sub with more veggies but I decided to cheat and have the cabbage. Thank goodness the duck orange sauce was on the side in a little cup because it was full of sugar and some orange liquor too. I had one or to small tastes and that was it. I ice tea to drink and had no wine but had a small taste of hubbies wine.
Oh and I actually didn't eat the bread which looked so good. Dear husband ate enough for the both of us. When the bread comes I have him move it to his side of the table and then hide it behind whatever is on the table.....Out of site out of mind..
Old 07-06-2014, 09:31 AM   #709
Major LCF Poster!

Hey meme---you sound like me w/the bread. I'm much better off if it's out of sight! It's definitely my achilles heel. Also, I don't know if I'd call red cabbage a "cheat." It's 6.5 gs
total, about 4.5 net carbs for a CUP. Your dinner sounds yummy. So rarely have duck but when it's prepared well, it's a real treat.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #710
Senior LCF Member

I guess it's not much of a cheat but since I have been so hyper focused on high carb veggies that I guess I should enlarge my menu. It did taste sweet to me but since I haven't had any sugar in six months, who knows, maybe it's just me. I just hope that they didn't sprinkle it with sugar while cooking it....
Old 07-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #711
Major LCF Poster!

Meme---OK, gotta correct my info. I gave you numbers for raw red cabbage, a different thing than cooked, because w/cooked they add vinegar and some sugar.

So the numbers for cooked red cabbage are 10.4 total gs for a cup, about 7 gs net carbs. AND almost 5 gs of sugars, so that's probably why it tasted so sweet to you, particularly after not eating much sugar for a long time. But keep in mind this is for a whole cup.

I LOVE cooked red cabbage w/my brats when we go to our fave German restaurant. And I usually only eat about a half cup of them, so even at these numbers it comes in OK---as long as I've planned for it in my daily carb count. But yeah, if you're looking to totally avoid sugar I guess these have to go unless you make it yourself w/a sweetener.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #712
Senior LCF Member

The owner of this restaurant is from an area near the German/French border so that's why the red cabbage. I did exchange the lentils, (which is not French either) for spinach so that was good. I had a feeling about that cabbage...but it was so darn good.
The duck was so good too and I love the crispy skin....yum!
Old 07-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #713
Major LCF Poster!

All this talk of yummy duck and crispy skin has led me to make some bacon. Next best thing. Going to have it with 2 poached eggs and some Trader Joe's hollandaise. Couldn't decide what to have for lunch and then I come here and voila, it becomes clear.

So gals, I've spent the morning doing what I call my LC boot camp research and reading. I do this occasionally when I want to dose myself up on re-enforcement and enthusiasm. I've done well w/most of many temptations lately, but more to come this week, and then vacation.

It amazes me how much I can still learn, reading here and elsewhere. Knowledge is 0 carbs and for me, so motivating. Been thinking how determine I am to lose my last 13 pounds to goal, and planning some experiments for when I get home from vacation and the coast is clear.

At 178.8 this am, which is a pound less of bloat then I thought I'd have gotten rid of pre vacay. Having a VERY CLEAN LC day today and tomorrow. Have a bbq Tuesday night, and another b'day party Wednesday night --- mine! Then off to the shore for a week on Friday. It's like a gauntlet, LOL. But got some good ideas and inspiration for when I get home.

As Kmom would say, feeling Cap D.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #714
Senior LCF Member

I know what you mean about the crispy duck skin thing. I wrote it and then went to fry some bacon myself... hehe
Old 07-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #715
Senior LCF Member

I found that my local boutique grocery store has almond milk for $2.49. The cheapest I've seen it elsewhere is $2.99. It's only 50 cents, but it's 50 cents. I'm definitely a bit bloated after that croissant yesterday. White flour is a sometimes thing, not an everyday thing. I did get a compliment after church, though; my friend said right away when I walked up to her that she can see weight loss in my sides (waist), arms, and face. That was nice. She struggles with weight; she'll lose and then plateau. Her mom has diabetes. I hope at some point my friend will do lower carb with me so we can support each other. She does love the breads, though. I thought I could take them or leave them until I was staring at that bakery case in the Starbucks yesterday. And today I'm thinking about semmel rolls with butter. So it begins....
Old 07-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #716
Senior LCF Member

Hey!

Meme: That meal at the French restaurant sounds so yummy. I am not sure if I have ever had duck. It's so cool how all of us are making good decisions (or fairly good) when we are eating out. And it just kind of cracked me up how you were thankful the duck orange sauce was on the side. Little things like that. It gives me hope.

Food Lady: I get my almond milk at Costco. I get a box with maybe 6 or 8 cartons. Not sure how much it costs me or how much it comes out to for each carton. I am so thankful for Almond Milk! a croissant...ahhhhh...don't even want to think about that. I DO miss some of those great tastes...and yet SO thankful for all the good tastes I get on this woe. And great that you got that nice compliment!

Trigger: Have fun on your short beach trip.

Blue: You saved the day!!! I ate at Chipotle with my daughter for lunch. I had the chicken bowl with lots of stuff. Added up to 10 net carbs. Dropped my daughter off at her place, and on my way home, I got the unbelievable urge for something from Dairy Queen. Or even a small frosty from Wendy's. As you know it is humid and hot here today. I almost felt PULLED...actually DRAWN to one of those places! I checked all the road signs on my way home for one of those places to stop. I knew I was losing the battle. And then I remembered! Remembered something YOU had suggested a few days/weeks ago. So I grabbed the steering wheel hard, faced forward, and drummed up the most CapD I could muster! And pointed home! Well, it was more than amazing. Frozen strawberries, HWC, and a 1/2 can of Tangerine Lime (Hansen's). So refreshing. So tasty! I actually made two! Thank you Blue for that idea. I did not add the ice as the SB's were frozen.

I have kind of lived life through you guys this weekend. Especially Blue. Blue, you are so descriptive in your writings. It was fun for me to read all about your adventures! This weekend, I poured my life into my youngest. She has some special needs and just loves being with mom. We had a great weekend. We had planned to take a mini vacation up north, but decided to cancel it and just have fun here at home.

I am CapD for sure! This woe rocks! I feel great, feel healthy, and I am losing weight. I will be reporting a significant weight loss number ....hmmmm.....should be by September 1st, if not sooner.

Thanks for the support and like Lori says....it is fun to just come here every day and check in. And it is great to and know someone is expecting you!

KMom
Old 07-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #717
Senior LCF Member

Lori: Did you walk the whole round today? How many miles does that equal to? You must be in great shape with all that walking.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #718
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaimom View Post
Lori: Did you walk the whole round today? How many miles does that equal to? You must be in great shape with all that walking.
Yes, walked all 18 holes. It is between 6 & 7 miles. 15,000 steps!
Old 07-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #719
Senior LCF Member

I've been wanting some kind of muffin-y thing, so I just made mini carrot cakes, at 3 net grams each. They are the size that are a little more than 1 inch in diameter. I didn't have baking cups to fit the regular-sized pan.

Last edited by Food Lady; 07-06-2014 at 04:07 PM..
Old 07-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #720
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tbinning
Hi everyone! My name is Tammy and I live in Martinez, GA (part of Augusta, where the Masters is played each April).

I did low carb about 12 years ago, and I found it was the only plan that really worked for me... note I did not say 'diet' but plan. Unfortunately, I got off the LC plan, but now am determined to do it, for my stomach area. I am 54, and I want to be a little bit more healthy. As we age, the stomach expands, but I think the LC will help me, and once I lose a little weight, I will want to exercise. And, exercise for me will be Wii bowling, and maybe some zumba dancing.

Thanks for listening, and I hope to have many posts here.
tbinning is offline   Reply With Quote