Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #601
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
I think it is used to put on the food after it is already cooked. Like on asparagus or broccoli. I saw a post the other day to oven roast asparagus after wrapping it with bacon. I haven't done it yet but it sounds good, then maybe top it with hollandaise sauce on the plate.
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #602
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Hi gals,

Meme---I'm a big believer in slow but sure, doable and maintainable when it comes to weight loss. I've lost 47 pounds (on my best day) over 16 months. NOT fast, but wow, 47 pounds gone makes a big difference, and now that I'm here I find I haven't minded the journey at all. In fact, many days I love it. And, As we get older I think it's good to give the skin time to adapt to less of us.

KMom---So glad you found the Trader Joe's hollandaise. LOVE that stuff. Here's a few tips: if you like lemony hollandaise add a nice squeeze and stir. Love it this way myself.
Also, when you heat it up in the microwave, it doesn't take long, start w/20 seconds. If you heat for too long it will curdle. Had it for lunch today over sliced avocados, crispy bacon and two poached eggs. This is seriously yummy.

And since you have a Trader Joe's check out there sprouted wheat bread, yellow label---4 NCS a slice, nutty and delishy toasted and buttered. If you count total carbs it's still not bad,----like 7 total carbs. Not every Trader Joe's has it, but ask about it at yours, you'll love it when you just have to have a sandwich. I usually make two open faced sandwiches w/it and load on the LC toppings.

All appointments for the week are done, and I just have a bit of work to wind up before I grab a little nap. Didn't sleep great last night.

Tonight we're off to a roof top party downtown, should be fun. Some friends own a condo with a fantastic deck up top w/grill and tables and everything we need for a party. And, it's a gorgeous day, so I'm really looking forward to it.

It's pot luck, so I'm bringing some side salads and my Wallace pork rinds and Salsa Lisa, which if you ever see at your grocery store pick it up! My all time FAVE salsa. So hopefully I will keep it very clean tonight w/out too much trouble.

Hope y'all are having a lovely Friday, I for one am glad it's the weekend!
Old 06-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #603
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: belleadonna
Stats: 164.6/162.4/130
WOE: Moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/16/14
My eats for the day.
B- Cheesy ham and eggs
L- 8 oz sirloin, radishes, raw baby carrots, sugar free jello with whipped cream
D- 8 oz hamburger, locally made scone
S- 12 gummy bears

Sounds like everyone is doing well. Keep up the good work!!
belleadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:55 PM   #604
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all,

Checking in late, which I like to do sometimes when I get home from a party I did well at, and I did well tonight!

OMG, this roof top was so beautiful, gorgeous view of the city through sunset.
Great peeps, good food. I had some pork rinds I brought w/me, cheeseburger, no bun, cucumbers in sour cream sauce. That's it.

Lunch today was high cal, so my cals are coming in higher than goal tonight, but my carbs are WAY under. And, I had a great time.

But here's something interesting. One of the women who was there has Diabetes 2, and we got to chatting. She went off her metaforim a year ago and was maintaining a normal AC number. She is not overweight. That's the background.

However, her AC is creeping up again and her Doc wants her back on metaforim now. I asked her how many carbs a day she eats. 150! Which she reported to me as if it was incredibly low from her POV. I wasn't going to say anything, because hey, I have no need to talk anyone into anything. Learned a long time ago that people make their own decisions at their own pace, and that's that.

But then she asked me how many carbs I eat a day---she is aware I've lost a lot of weight. I said 25 to 35, and lately trying to stay under 25. She was HORRIFIED. Said "wow, talk about extreme!" and said she could never do that, and how was my cholesterol?

SIGH. She had a HUGE bun w/her burger, a big glop of pasta salad, and a large piece of dessert. Now, I don't care how she eats, that's up to her. But y'know, it's frustrating sometimes when someone refuses to face facts, but you just have to shut your mouth, like I did tonight.

Did rec "Why We Get Fat," by Gary Taubes, but I somehow know she won't read it. She's a very smart gal, and I guess I just don't get why or how someone wouldn't read and know more about their condition and their body. Some folks choose to take drugs rather than limit carbs, again, their choice.
But the thing that kind of blew my mind is that she thought she was doing great with the carbs, said she knew the carb count on everything, and was mad her Doc wanted her to go back on the meds.

Oh well, just thinking about it now that I'm home, and humbly thankful that while I sure don't do this perfectly, I HAVE done everything I can to learn about these things, and I DO know my choices. And they ain't about 150 carbs a day, if I want to stay off meds.

Thanks for listening gals. Sometimes you just have one of those nights that sends you home thinking long and hard about how we eat, our choices, and why we make them.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:41 AM   #605
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 195/190.4/150
WOE: IF; 4:3/5:2
Start Date: November 16, 2014
Good Morning!

Up at 6AM this sunny, Saturday morning. I'll be heading to the golf course in about 2 hrs. Yesterday's tournament was fun...played ok.....off and on. This weekend's tournament will be a fun one with friends. No expectations of glory.

Blue...your party sounds awesome! I know what you mean about people not being willing to do what needs to be done for their health. There's a girl at work who sometimes talks to me about trying to lose weight etc. She'll ask me what I do and when I tell her, she jumps right in with "I could never do that" As soon as someone says that, I just stop talking. If that is their mind set, they are right, they could never do it. Our boot camp trainer says "Mind right, body right."

Ok, I must scramble some eggs for my breakfast. I ate WAY too many carbs yesterday, so today I must tighten things up.

I love having this site to pop into each day. When I'm tempted to eat something I shouldn't, I think.....better not, I'll have to go online and tell the girls!

Have a lovely day!
Old 06-21-2014, 05:33 AM   #606
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: belleadonna
Stats: 164.6/162.4/130
WOE: Moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/16/14
Yeah, it can be frustrating talking to others about low carb but I too have learned to keep my big mouth shut. But unfortunately, doctors think like the mainstream too about low carb and cholesterol myths.

I have a friend at the gym whose chol. was 168. The doctor put him on chol. meds. Now that doctor should be put in jail. The guy got really sick from the meds and the doctor finally took him off of the statins. He should know that really low chol. is worse than really high chol. Enough already with the med. pushing. Same with the diabetes numbers. They keep lowering that too.

Did good yesterday. More of same today!! Monday it will be a week and I can see how much I lost the first week.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #607
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kauaimom
Hi to all!
Gosh, I have so much I want to say...but no time. Off to a wedding about 3 hours away.

I continue with the Capital "D." You guys are a part of that.

Had my regular omelet this morning and will be bringing a chicken sandwich on my new TJ bread (Yep, Blue I got that one you told me about!) for lunch in the car. Plus a yogurt with some oat bran and a bottled water. Should be nice and full and hopefully will help my control at the reception dinner.

Please hold me accountable! I have watched you guys (especially Blue lately) make wise decisions when you need to go to things like this. I feel very Capital D...so we'll see.

Hope you guys all have a great Saturday.

KMom
kauaimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #608
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
lost internet and phone for 2 days. lightening.

drove me nuts.

My horse had a surprise baby. YUP. I said she was getting fatter and fatter and DUH if she didn't come to me pregnant. So about a week before her bag was getting big I knew...I wanted to deny it tho , I didn't want a foal. But yesterday at 5:30 in the morning she popped out a filly. cute as can be.

but this means I can't ride her for at least 4-5 months (well I can ride as long as the foal is around, can't trailer her anywhere so I lose alot of riding). so now I got a second horse. like a hole in the head but since it is cute as can be I will deal with it. She is a great momma tho.

will post pic when I get time.

----Blue, I don't bring a laptop camping. I hit state parks and mostly I have to drive up to the ranger station in order to hit wifi cause it just isn't out on the beach/campground area. It kinda is a pain in the way and I kinda don't like bringing any electronics with me. (well, who am I kidding my RV is like a 5 star hotel on wheels with every amenity ) but I just kinda ditch the computers and such. BUT on this trip I will bring a laptop. Ya never know, I might pop on! Since I bought a new golf cart to take in the toyhauler, I might just motor up to the ranger station and log in

You sound stocked well for your trip. I just tried to love pork rinds and I can't stand them at all. I miss that crunch tho. Like you I am bringing tuna, burgers, MY LC bread, bacon, eggs etc. Since I can cook I can control. I just won't let them drag me out to eat as much on this trip

I am so busy it is stupid. no scale. I must be losing cause clothes are feeling looser and I feel great. I am just thinking LC all the time now and staying low in carbs and it seems to be working well for me.

got a zillion things to handle right now so off I go.....everyone hold strong!!!!!

Last edited by Trigger828; 06-21-2014 at 08:47 AM..
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #609
Major LCF Poster!

Holy moly mother of a horse, Trig! Incredible! Can't wait to see a pix of her. Is the kiddo totally excited? Are you starting to get excited? This is not your everyday surprise. At least it was Jade and not you. Have you named her yet? This I need to hear more about as you get to know your knew little one.

Boy, hard to to jump to LC after that kind of news, but glad to hear your clothes are feeling looser and you're hard on plan. Sounds like you can really load the RV up w/LC goodies. Will be a bit harder for us in a hotel room, but we can do lunches easily. Know what you mean about the pork rinds. Never liked them much either, but these I like. Put in an order today for the salt and vinegar ones. Had some this afternoon, and boy are they filling. Another plus.

KMom---glad you got the bread, let me know what you think. Best toasted I think. I like your capital D! Hope you had a good LC time at the wedding.

Belle---big article in Time titled "Eat butter" that talks a lot about the cholesterol thing, repeating what I've read many times. Anyone who gets a blood test should request a VAP test, in which they break down your LDL/cholesterol count to determine how much of it is the harmless light and fluffy stuff, or the small dense more dangerous stuff---particularly important for LCers whose LDL sometimes goes up, but often in a benign way. Docs don't like to do the test because it's expensive, and yet without it you can end up on statins for no reason.

Lori----Love this: "When I'm tempted to eat something I shouldn't, I think.....better not, I'll have to go online and tell the girls!" HA HA. Have thought the same myself! Had a hungry day today, and was thinking of having a small square of hubby's rhubarb cake, but then thought nah, I really don't want to have to say I did. And If I don't say it, I feel like I'm hiding it. Had a LC treat instead.

Boy, did I have a lazy day! We were so active and social on our trip, and then got home to a couple of packed and stressy days at work, then out last night, and by today I just flopped. Read, watched TV and napped. Plus, this virus I got a couple of weeks ago hangs on. I think it's gone, and then it revisits for a day or two. Lots of folks around here have had it and says it takes forever for it to totally go away. So yeah, it was a super low energy day.

But I was hungry, glazing hungry all day long, but as I said above, I've kept it all LC after a momentary temptation.

Which brings me to my new FAVE LC treat. I take a half cup of frozen blackberries out of the freezer and put them in a bowl, still all icy and frozen.
Then top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of sunflower seeds. This tastes like a really good dessert!! You gotta try this on a hot day, so YUM!

Dropped a bit over a pound of vacation bloat today, finally. Trying to get back on my water regimen, fell off that on vacation and been struggling to get back on the horse w/that----maybe my horse is pregnant and not feeling like water? Sorry Trig, just CANNOT get over your surprise!
Old 06-22-2014, 05:56 AM   #610
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL Blue, I know ya had to make a joke like that

I am a frozen blueberry fan. I just eat plain, love that icy taste.

you are recovering from vacation good and yea, I agree, sometimes the 'sick' we get holds on. it can come back and exhaust you. so rest now is best!

-----here is a pic of the baby

Almost as tall as the momma in the pic when she is in the pasture. 2 day old baby...it's a bigg'un!!

----internet acting wonky. losing it on and off. my WIFI router is the problem. have to call and check support and then if no good might have to buy a new one.

never easy is it?

impromptu party last night. jumped on some drinks and carbs. I did not hit the scale but the bloat is there. I FEEL BIGGER! So yea there is a gain today will stay super lc, lots of water and work it on out as usual.

doing good. busy busy as usual.
everyone have a great lc day!

Last edited by Trigger828; 06-22-2014 at 05:58 AM..
Old 06-22-2014, 06:14 AM   #611
Major LCF Poster!

That is a gorgeous filly. And your mare looks nice and healthy too!
Congrats on your new baby!
Old 06-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #612
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks meme
just got back from feed store. got mare feed and salt blocks and more junk. MAN nothing is cheap out there. that fancy feed is high. will mix in with her cheaper stuff just to help milk production.

MY GOSH it is super hot here. hi 90s and I am melting

anyone else dying cause of the weather. I go out and a minute later I am sweating like a monster. did some barn work...whoooooooa, gonna pass out here LOL

but I keep thinking, help sweat away the bloat and lbs hopefully!!!
Old 06-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #613
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
thanks meme
just got back from feed store. got mare feed and salt blocks and more junk. MAN nothing is cheap out there. that fancy feed is high. will mix in with her cheaper stuff just to help milk production.

MY GOSH it is super hot here. hi 90s and I am melting

anyone else dying cause of the weather. I go out and a minute later I am sweating like a monster. did some barn work...whoooooooa, gonna pass out here LOL

but I keep thinking, help sweat away the bloat and lbs hopefully!!!
Did you buy sweet feed?
How did she get pregnant unexpectedly, do you have a stallion around?
Old 06-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #614
Senior LCF Member

Trig: Wow! I love the pictures and hearing the stories about the birth of the filly. My family had horses when I was growing up and I remember feeding them alfalfa and sometimes oats. Man, that was a long time ago, but it seems like we had bales of the alfalfa and I would break off a part and give it to them. We also had these small water thingies that would give water when the horse pushed his nose against it. Not sure if that is done still nowadays. I bet sometimes you will just stare at the two of them and watch them run and play. It is 72 here today with scattered thunderstorms. Good day for some inside work?

Belle: Will be looking for your weight loss number tomorrow.

Meme: Thanks for the tip for the Hollandaise sauce. On Friday, I sauteed some onions, zucchini, and chicken in a fry pan and topped it with some Hollandaise sauce. Tasted really good. Want to try it with asparagus.

Lori: Happy Golfing! It is funny because you have a harder time during the summer eating LC and I think I will have a harder time when school starts. It just seems like I have so much more emotional energy during the summer.

Blue: I want to try your new fave LC treat, but think I will use raspberries since I have a ton of raspberry bushes. Until they produce their berries, I might use blueberries. Better check the carb count on both those berries. Or maybe strawberries would be better. I think they are one of the lowest LC berries. Good job getting one of the five pounds back off! You will do it!

Well, I almost did "Really Good" eating LC on my trip up north. Blue will appreciate this next statement...I passed "Tobies" will strength and fortitude. Tobies is a restaurant half way to Duluth that has the yummiest pastries. Lots of history with me and that place!

So here is what I had all day:
Breakfast: my everyday omelet
Lunch: chicken sandwich with TJ bread (just chicken and mayo and bread)
Snack: two small bags of pistachio nuts from the gas station
Snack: McDouble on 1/3 of a LC onion roll (I brought with me) - Regular bun off

So I figured BEFORE I got to the wedding, I was at 20.

Wedding: Man, what to do? They served steak which was perfect. Everyone went thru a line. What else could I put on my plate? I felt stupid just putting on the steak and really did not want to talk to anyone about losing weight. I want to wait until people notice it and I have made some nice changes in my woe. So anyway, I grabbed a half of baked potato, about 2T of a bean mixture, and two strawberries. I did not touch the rolls or corn salsa kind of thing that were also on the table. I ate the steak, about 1/3 of the half of baked potato, the beans, and the two strawberries. Then I had two small bites of a 'smore at the table.

VICTORY!

So far at least.

On the way home I was starved. WHaaaaaaaat? I did not understand it! So stopped and got another McDouble and ate part of the half of the bun (was not prepared with another LC bread).

Still starved.

So I caved. I stopped at a DQ and had a small blizzard.

Surprisingly, I was not discouraged or too disappointed in myself. This is a woe for me and a road I am firmly planted on. That was not a good decision, but I will go on from here and be more prepared next time.

Happy Sunday to all of you!

KMom
Old 06-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #615
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme View Post
Did you buy sweet feed?
How did she get pregnant unexpectedly, do you have a stallion around?
I bought her PG but didn't know it. only had her about 4 -41/2 months. surprise to me LOL
I think the seller was a trader horse type. buy to resell to someone and probably didn't even know it was PG cause they sure didn't tell me anything.

It was an oppsie
Old 06-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #616
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KM.... you felt STUPID with just a steak on your plate? NOPE. see this is where ya lost it

never ever worry what someone thinks of your plate.

get 2 steaks. ask for a third if ya want it

get some veg. butter them down. HAVE a steak feast. if anyone asks, IT IS JUST WHAT YOU ARE CRAVING at the moment. they will get it.

to me no one will effect how I eat anymore. but I have time on plan where I finally figured out THIS IS FOR ME. NOT YOU!!! not your way of eating. I eat MY WAY and forget all of YOU out there...lol

THEN you didn't eat the way you should have....2 steaks if needed etc. you felt like you were starved. needed more cause the way you should have eaten got changed cause ya felt stupid. You didn't fill up on LC. Then it is all downhill from there

YOU EAT however it is necessary to stay more on plan. I mean that. 2 steaks! butter on veg and alot of it. 1/4 piece of dinner roll loaded with butter as a 'bite' and ya feel like you 'had' something.

never let it take you down a totally bad path. WE ALL did this. WE know.

it will get better for you once you realize IT IS ALL ABOUT YOU. not what others think or you care what they 'might' think. YOU DO FOR YOU. as gals, we do for others, worry about others, not this time YOU DO FOR YOURSELF and never think once what others might think about how you eat. forget that!

I love horses so much. It is my go to thing. those nose activated waterers are still out there!! I have automatic out in the pasture. drink and it refills and it is heated thru winter. love it to the max. best money I spent. except the darn birds using it and pooping in it. have it clean it every day. (note to self, buy more bird shot) HAHA nah, kidding.

Last edited by Trigger828; 06-22-2014 at 12:28 PM..
Old 06-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #617
Major LCF Poster!

OMG, Trig, she's so gorgeous! Love the pix of her w/mama in the field, so darn sweet! Have you named her yet? Wow, talk about your ultimate twofer! But I just have a feeling she is going to be a real gift to you. I imagine raising a horse is a big project, challenging but also very fulfilling?

Not to worry about a party night, you've done great and you'll motor it off in this next week.

Kmom---And here I thought you lived in Kauai! Maybe you were born there? But I see now that you live in my neck of the woods. Don't get up to Duluth often, so not aware of Tobies but good work on passing it by. That gets hard when you're on the road and food is a nice distraction from the boredom of a long drive.

I think Trigger's advice above is excellent. I do understand it takes some time to get used to having a different plate than everyone else's. At that party on Friday night we're all at this big table, and I'm the only one w/out a hamburger bun and only one small side of sour cream cucumbers. I complimented our host on how excellent the burgers were, and he replied, "much better with a bun I would think." Which got everyone's attention and began the LC discussion. SIGH. It just happens sometimes, and I've had to get used to it, although prefer not to have the spotlight on my woe.

But Trigger is so right, we do this for ourselves, and what others think just cannot be a priority. I know from experience that if you hadn't put that potato on your plate, you wouldn't have eaten a potato.

You're doing just fine, learning as you go like all of us. I will say as I have before, if you can do clean induction for 2 weeks and get yourself in ketosis you will generally have to fight hunger a lot less. But we all get there when we do, in our own way.

Feel for you on the heat Trig, I don't do well in that kind of heat. Zaps the energy right out of me. Even when I was a kid I didn't like it, never felt quite well when it got that hot.

Cool and cloudy here today. Cozy. I like it. Hubby and I are finally putting our porch together after repainting the floor, so I'm on a little break here. But it feels good to be more active today. Lord, I was a slug yesterday.

Had bacon, poached eggs and hollandaise for lunch, will have a rueben for dinner. Bounced up a half pound today This time it's taking longer to lose the vacation bloat. But as I said, haven't been as good w/my water, so correcting that today.

Hope everyone has a lovely LC Sunday. Good day to get seriously back on track for the week ahead.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #618
Senior LCF Member

Trig!!! I loved the advice!

You are so right.

Problem was it was a wedding and for sure only one steak per person. Plus no veggies. I DID plan to load up on them. Just looked at the buffet and went...hmmmmm, this is not going to work!

Like you said, I am just starting to dive into this. I did the Dukan for a year and a half and lost a lot of weight, but it was different than what I am doing now. It was LC, high protein. Both my brother and I did it, but my brother got gout and something else that is a side effect of that woe. And we never counted carbs. Just ate certain things on certain days.

What I learned from this is that I need to have more stuff with me that will take those CC's away from me (COMSUMING CRAVINGS!). When I am in the zone, the power of those CC's is so much less.

Plus, what happened to the Capital D? Where did that go?

I guess overall I am OK with it all because I made a lot of really good decisions and one bad one (and a few not so good ones!)

This wedding was a tough one for me for many personal reasons. I just did not want to talk about my woe of eating and many people would have asked. I felt bad because the bride and groom greeted each row and dismissed the people. I was at the back (outside wedding...western theme...we sat on hay bales!). Anyway, I had my own line of people to greet/talk to ME. Maybe someday I will explain why it was so hard for me to be there.

Thanks again for caring and giving it to me straight! No better way!

KMom
Old 06-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #619
Senior LCF Member

Busy place here today!

Trig......love the baby pictures!! What a surprise! So,so cute!

Did you all hear the "thud" this weekend? It was me falling off the wagon and the wagon running right over me! WOW.....not a good eating weekend for me. I'm SO ready for Monday to get back on the straight and narrow. My partner and I got beat both days on the golf course. Guess I was trying to make myself feel better with food.

I'm on strict low, low carb this coming week. My stomach is not happy with all the carbs I've been giving it.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #620
Senior LCF Member

Wow!
Just found a recipe that I think has a lot of potential. Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings with a special sauce on the ring! I think I will try these and put one on my hamburger (with a bun made of half of a LC Onion Roll). You gotta see the picture! I think they have very few carbs...right.

Here is the link:
Smoked Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings - Spicy Sriracha Onion Rings

KMom
Old 06-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #621
Major LCF Poster!

Kmom ---- Wowza!!! These look amazing and this recipe goes directly to my desk top file of Low Carb recipes I want to try. It's my fave kind of recipe, easy with available ingredients.

And yes, these are low carb, the onion being the highest carb of all the ingredients. About 2 net carbs for one thick slice. The bacon is zip carbs, the Siraccha 1 carb per TBLSP.

Seems to me 2 or three of these would be plenty. And yeah I think they would be great on a burger, but also great all by themselves for dinner, w/the dipping sauce! Or as an appetizer if you're entertaining a small group.

Love it, can't wait to try it. Thanx for sharing.

Oh, and btw, considering the fact that you were facing some tough personal stuff at your wedding, I think you did very well. Sounds like the kind of thing one could be tempted to stuff themselves to escape the stress, and you didn't do that! I bet your "hunger" on the way home came from the bottled up stress of the occasion. Cortisol, the stress hormone, is also the hunger hormone!
Old 06-23-2014, 05:27 AM   #622
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

One steak per person? How dare they? that is hard when you are restricted tho and if you got personal issues with that situation, then I agree with Blue. You did good under tough circumstances.

Lori I had the 'thud' also. stinks doesn't it? I got the bad gut feeling also. carbs really mess up my system now when I eat some. Physically you feel the carb nasty. I don't like it either.

Blue, is that an indoor porch on the front of your house or an outside porch? just wondering. hubby and I still have just a tiny bit of painting work to finish on our outdoor back porch. hard work isn't it? Our color isn't that good tho. we went lighter cause sick of the red color after 17 years. boy it shows dirt like crazy, so wait 2-3 years, then repaint darker. Didn't win on this choice LOL

and wtih my daughter now going on 10, I thought my baby raising days were over. Nope. now the little horse is here and I have to worry all over again

-------- time to get into lc gear this week. stick to A72 and no changes. no more impromptu anything going to eat simple and basic this week. no messing around.

I got an itchy rash on my arm. HUH?? bumps and red and itchy to the max. No where else. Wonder what I got into?? driving me nutso but putting on some anti-itch stuff and hoping it goes away. Didn't get into anything I can think of and no poison ivy etc in the pasture....so who knows? It better go away soon!

not hungry at all but when I get there, I am going to load up on bacon and scrambled eggs with bit of melted cheese. got ribeyes I didn't use the other day I got to grill tonight. So that will be dinner with maybe some veg. if wanted.

everyone be good this week. we all want to get some good drops on the scales if we can!
Old 06-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #623
Major LCF Poster!

Trigg, Well I was wondering if it was immaculate conception or what with the unexpected delivery?
Well all I can say is when you get fall off of the wagon just get back on.
There are so many situations where there are no sides to choose because they're all full carb. It's the mentality of so many and they wonder why our society has so much diabetics and other ailments.
Those huge baked potatoes didn't exist years ago at least not for human consumption. It's the marketing that created a climate where people eat a huge one filled to make them taste like something. Before that they were fed to animals because there was no other use for them since they have such a high starch count. It fattens the hogs.

There is a BBQ buffet that we go to and I get plenty of good meat and try to use no sauce. But the sides are ALL carb/starchy so I opt for the salad bar that they have. They have green beans but I'm sure that someone is putting sugar in them. At first taste I can tell it's in there.

Last week I stopped at this little farm and they had the best ripe tomatoes, small yellow squash, green beans and a couple of small red onions which I used to make broccoli salad tweaked with stevia instead of the 1/2c of sugar that is in the original recipe. I also made spinach dip last week and used celery to dip into it. It was so good and ready in the fridge when I needed it.

I started magnesium yesterday and saw 1/2 pound loss overnight so I hope this is the thing I've been looking for. Any of you take it?

Anyway, gotta go fry some bacon... lol
Old 06-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #624
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just fried a ton of bacon. I am one happy person here right now store has bacon on sale, when I head out in a bit I am going to get about 8 more packs. that with the 10 in the freezer should hold me for a week HAHA

mag. is a definite every day for me. helps with any cramping problems also.

also take 1 multi per day.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #625
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning!

Meme....all the food you wrote about in your post sounds SO good! I love me some spinach dip! Sigh......

I'm back on the LC wagon and feeling good! I braved the scale this morning and was relieved to see that it was only up 1.5 lbs since Thursday. That is really a miracle considering what I did to myself over the weekend.

I went to boot camp this morning and then came home and had my protein shake. I won't eat again until 1 or so. I'm trying to have an eating window of only about 6 hrs. Just another way of controlling the food consumption.

I made a quick grocery store run on my lunch hour since I didn't get there this weekend. Golf season is tough on domestic duties!

Hope your Monday is going well.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #626
Major LCF Poster!

BUSY DAY! Didn't get home from appointments till almost 6, then my neighbor called looking for some company and came down and we sat out on my back porch all night long chatting and sipping our drinks. She brought low carb snacks, and I threw some in too, and that was dinner.

Trigger---Speaking of that porch and in answer to your question, it's a screened in porch on the back of our house, on a large deck. We had the deck totally redone last fall, didn't have to do the floor of the screened in porch because it has been protected all these years by the roof. But, it was a faded mossy green we'd painted it years and years ago, so this year we painted it the color of beach driftwood---kind of a stone gray color.

Y'know, seems if you go darker, like we had before, all the light stuff shows on it, and if you lighter like we have now, all the dark stuff shows up. But I'm happy w/this color, very serene to me. I have a great indoor/outdoor gray patterned rug, and then bright turquoise cushions on all my chairs. We also have a huge wooden built in unit that was torn out of a house and that I bought years ago for the store I used to own. Now it's on our porch, and serves as a great privacy wall between us and our neighbors, plus lots of shelves for fun stuff. We also have a lovely large glass topped table that seats 8. Reminds me of the porch I grew up on. There is NOTHING like a great screened in porch, IMO. Thanks for listening to me babble on.

Meme---I take magnesium every single night. Could not stay reg on this woe w/out it. Also, Dr Eades says it's a great anti-inflammatory, and that if he had to rec just one supplement to his LC patients it would be magnesium.

Nice Monday. Work session went very well. Eating went well too.

Was a bit discouraged to see 182.4 again on the scale this AM. Feel like I've been eating pretty clean since returning from vacay, but the bloat is not releasing. 182.4 is exactly where I was before I went to San Diego, and just couldn't get past. Then I came home from that trip, where I had more treats than on this last trip, hopped right back on plan, and saw some nice losses pretty quickly, till I got down to my low of 177.1.

I think I have been a bit stopped up lately, despite the mag. Still not quite as good on my water as I was for awhile, so really working on that. I've got a weekend at my brother's cabin coming up and then a vacation, so I really want to peel some of this off or I feel like I'm going to creep up big time.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:33 PM   #627
Major LCF Poster!

That's about where I am blue, 180ish. Lost 1lb last week and 1/2 lb this morn after going up 1/2 lb week before. I haven't cheated and I haven't had a drink since my two bloody-mary on mothers day. Since I hadn't drank since last November I could really feel the alcohol from just two.
Lori, would you believe that I went shopping again today at Sprouts and bought more yellow squash, green beans, cauliflower, spring mix salad, zucchini, sugar snap peas(can we have those?)oops, anyway and some chicken and these two gorgeous fillet mignons. Oh and they had stone crab claws from Florida for $6.99 a pound and I had those for lunch..yum

Kauaimom, That recipe sounds great, I am going to have to try that one...

Trigger, I bought 8 packs last week for $2.99 per pkg..12 oz I think. Plus we have some great 0carb sausages here. They call them Hill Country type of sausages which are basically like homemade one big 1lb.link, all meat sausage that are really so good. I buy and freeze those when they hit $2.99ea.

Bellea, Just tell them that your off of sugar and they leave you alone...They don't know if you have diabetes and they don't ask so that ends it...
Old 06-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #628
Major LCF Poster!

Blue I forgot to say that I am glad that the Magnesium is good to take and I hope it helps. I did loose 1/2lb this morning but not sure if it was the Mag. since I took it only one day.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:28 AM   #629
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning!

Not feeling up to par this morning. 2nd night in a row of not sleeping well. I seem to be getting a headache now. Hoping the cup of coffee I'm drinking will take care of it as it sometimes does.

The husband and I went out for a little 2 mile run before the skies opened up and it started pouring rain. You might know......I washed rugs and hung them on the line this morning! I'll probably have to take them in and spin the water out and just hang them around the house as tomorrow's weather isn't looking great either. I thought I was in the clear today......not so much.

I have a feeling it's going to be a long day. I don't function well when I don't get a good night's sleep. I'll have to get up and walk around the office every few minutes so I don't fall asleep!

Have a good Tuesday!
Old 06-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #630
Senior LCF Member

Good morning Meme, Lori, Belle, Trigger and Blue!

Lori: I used to go for two mile runs, but that was many moons ago. I would settle now for a two mile walk. I am trying to walk one mile daily now, and would love to increase that. I know what you mean by..."I have a feeling it's going to be a long day." Hope it goes easier than anticipated. And hopefully will be a great night of sleeping!

Meme: I plan to start on some magnesium too. Blue told me about it a while ago. I am still in the mindset of checking with my doctor first. My doctor is so cool! She is overweight and had the stomach surgery. She is so supportive of me eating LC. I have some weird reactions to medications sometimes, so I just want to check with her first. I am so thankful for my doctor. I sometimes get teary thinking how thankful I am. I am a widow and she is just the right type of personality for me. So gentle and yet so smart. She has been promoted within the clinic and only sees patients two days a week. I am so thankful I am one of those patients.

Blue: Some day I will sit on your porch and we will talk and talk! And I will bring LC treats!

I am for sure a Capital D. I don't want to lose that. I have been eating LC for about three years, but unless I was on the Dukan Diet, I was not staying strict LC. I had the mindset that I could add like a McDonalds ice cream cone or other things that are not that high in calories (but loaded with carbs!). I think I had that in my brain that it was only like three points on WW so would not be that bad. But now I know that I can't do that. If I need a snack or treat, I need to be ready with a LC one!

Planning to hang out sheets and blankets today! And do some yard work.

Hoping everyone had a good, good day!

KMom