Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #151
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyl View Post
A testament to crap free living:

Went to the doc last week. My first apt when I realized I needed to cut the crap revealed my A1C was .1 from diabetic range. All the way at the highest point of "pre-diabetes." I was so scared, so nervous. I want so much to be healthy, but I can talk myself into all sorts of crap if I let my mind have its way. Well at my last visit, the doc decided we need to do another blood draw- it's been 3 months, I've lost 27 lbs and she wanted to make sure we saw some improvement in my numbers before deciding whether I needed meds.

Well in the mail today, I received my results. A1C and Glucose did in fact come down. In fact, they were BOTH in the NORMAL range! Wooo hooooo! I have not been doing a traditional low carb diet--I've mostly been eating smaller portions, increasing my consumption of plant based foods, and refraining from much processed junk (I still do eat convenience foods at times, but not nearly as much as before).

You ladies have been here for the journey, and I know we are getting really busy, and aren't checking in as often as we were before. But keep it up!!!!
That is fabulous news!
GME is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
Quote:
A testament to crap free living:

Went to the doc last week. My first apt when I realized I needed to cut the crap revealed my A1C was .1 from diabetic range. All the way at the highest point of "pre-diabetes." I was so scared, so nervous. I want so much to be healthy, but I can talk myself into all sorts of crap if I let my mind have its way. Well at my last visit, the doc decided we need to do another blood draw- it's been 3 months, I've lost 27 lbs and she wanted to make sure we saw some improvement in my numbers before deciding whether I needed meds.

Well in the mail today, I received my results. A1C and Glucose did in fact come down. In fact, they were BOTH in the NORMAL range! Wooo hooooo! I have not been doing a traditional low carb diet--I've mostly been eating smaller portions, increasing my consumption of plant based foods, and refraining from much processed junk (I still do eat convenience foods at times, but not nearly as much as before).

You ladies have been here for the journey, and I know we are getting really busy, and aren't checking in as often as we were before. But keep it up!!!!
Tyl, that is AWESOME news....way to go!!!!

I'm so proud of all that we have accomplished, I know everyone is busy, but I do so hope that we haven't lost the group!!

I for one had a great week food wise last week, but then blew it last night with bourbon.....no carbs or dairy.....just alcohol!! Gotta cut that crap out!!!!

Slowsure, I love your philosophy....that's so brilliant, yet so simple....I must employ that same strategy!!

Gina, I don't know a teacher who doesn't work hard in the summer to keep the bills paid.....my hats off to you for a TOUGH job!!

I hope everyone's doing well!!

Be the type of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap....she's up"!!

Made it to Onederland 7/1/14!!!
199 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145
ladyboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #153
Tyl
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
Thanks guys!!!
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #154
Tyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyboss7 View Post
Tyl, that is AWESOME news....way to go!!!!

I'm so proud of all that we have accomplished, I know everyone is busy, but I do so hope that we haven't lost the group!!

I for one had a great week food wise last week, but then blew it last night with bourbon.....no carbs or dairy.....just alcohol!! Gotta cut that crap out!!!!

Slowsure, I love your philosophy....that's so brilliant, yet so simple....I must employ that same strategy!!

Gina, I don't know a teacher who doesn't work hard in the summer to keep the bills paid.....my hats off to you for a TOUGH job!!

I hope everyone's doing well!!
Lol Mondays are so stressful at work that by the end of the day my teammate are all sending the emoticons w drinks in them half way thru the day!!! Lol I don't know why our work I'm uses those emoticons but your post made me think of that! Then I log on fb and my sister is talking about wine lol... Some days are just like that lol
Old 04-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
I need to jump in here because I have been slipping and letting myself eat off-plan lately. After 47 pounds of success, I have reached the home stretch and I don't want to allow myself to become complacent now, with my goal in sight.
So, NO MORE CRAP! lol

nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Lol Mondays are so stressful at work that by the end of the day my teammate are all sending the emoticons w drinks in them half way thru the day!!! Lol I don't know why our work I'm uses those emoticons but your post made me think of that! Then I log on fb and my sister is talking about wine lol... Some days are just like that lol
Lol, yes they are....and I LOOOOOVE wine....I really do miss that, but I don't dare bring it into the house, the carbs get me every time and I do NOT want to pay that price!! I will probably have wine at DD's wedding dinner this month, but then right back on plan......all bets are off for a wedding, right?!?!?!

Nikki, you are SOOOO close to the end, you can do this!! 47 pounds gone is AMAZING......don't sabotage yourself now!!
Old 04-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #157
Tyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
I need to jump in here because I have been slipping and letting myself eat off-plan lately. After 47 pounds of success, I have reached the home stretch and I don't want to allow myself to become complacent now, with my goal in sight.
So, NO MORE CRAP! lol

you got it love! come on to the crap free zone!
Old 04-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #158
Tyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyboss7 View Post
Lol, yes they are....and I LOOOOOVE wine....I really do miss that, but I don't dare bring it into the house, the carbs get me every time and I do NOT want to pay that price!! I will probably have wine at DD's wedding dinner this month, but then right back on plan......all bets are off for a wedding, right?!?!?!

Nikki, you are SOOOO close to the end, you can do this!! 47 pounds gone is AMAZING......don't sabotage yourself now!!

see that's the thing, wine bottles don't have nutrition facts on them, they don't warn me of all the things in it I may want to avoid, if the bottle simply says "insert fav type of wine here" I can convince myself that's all that's there, no calories, no carbs, its just a simple glass of wine lol!!! weddings are special occasions, in all of this we have to live!

Sometimes I think about some of the things/situations I've avoided in the name of weight loss/dieting/etc...sometimes it was the right call, other times, not so much! I can choose willingness and committed action the vast majority of the time, but i'm not beating myself up when the alternative is being present for a big moment or doing something that I truly value/enjoy, etc. Finding that balance can be hard, but i'm working on it.

Cut the Crap take 2: sw:276.4 cw: 259.6 Pts: 84!
For 8 weeks I made 84 positive choices!
CTC begins again on 3/2 join us!
Old 04-09-2014, 04:21 AM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
So pleased to read your news about the test results, Tyl.

I'm on plan for food and activity levels tho' I'd like more kayaking

I need to go and get some of the blood tests done again but that's tricky to arrange with so many people who have childcare responsibilities during the Easter vacation. (I'm not worried about this, it's just a pest to organise.)
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:53 AM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Well I have had some success getting back on track these past two days. I (mostly) stuck to my DownDay plan yesterday even though it was sooo hard because I was ravenously hungry. I did allow myself a small cheat but it was hardly "crap" since it was 3/4 cup cauliflower with 1/4 cup homemade low-carb masala sauce. About 100 calories more than my plan.

4/8: 138.2
4/9: 137.8

My scale is getting wonky. This morning it gave me a nice new low, but I always weigh twice. The second time it gave me a huge jump up, so I weighed myself several times and there were some really divergent readings. Yesterday was a down day; I "feel" skinnier (know what I mean, when you can just tell you've lost?) I weighed myself on my old scale and it said 135.5. So I am going with the first reading from my regular scale. Tomorrow, I change the batteries!

Today I am donating plasma so I have a slightly different plan than on a regular day, in the form of a Kombucha tea and two Weight Watchers cheese sticks I consume immediately after donating. Otherwise it's an ordinary day.

I am planning a four mile walk tonight. My Wednesday ladies bible group meets at the church two miles away. It has been so warm and balmy here the past few days; I am walking there and back.

Last edited by nikki; 04-09-2014 at 06:56 AM..
Old 04-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
see that's the thing, wine bottles don't have nutrition facts on them, they don't warn me of all the things in it I may want to avoid, if the bottle simply says "insert fav type of wine here" I can convince myself that's all that's there, no calories, no carbs, its just a simple glass of wine lol!!! weddings are special occasions, in all of this we have to live!

Sometimes I think about some of the things/situations I've avoided in the name of weight loss/dieting/etc...sometimes it was the right call, other times, not so much! I can choose willingness and committed action the vast majority of the time, but i'm not beating myself up when the alternative is being present for a big moment or doing something that I truly value/enjoy, etc. Finding that balance can be hard, but i'm working on it.
Amen sister!!! And seriously, everyone else has to put the nutrition info on their labels, I think alcohols should too! Exactly right that finding the balance can be hard.....right now I'm super focused on this wedding....which is two weeks from TOMORROW....so my balance is a little tougher than normal. After the wedding I won't have as much pressure....but I still have a BIG goal of getting the weight off by my birthday in November.....so balance is indeed critical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
So pleased to read your news about the test results, Tyl.

I'm on plan for food and activity levels tho' I'd like more kayaking

I need to go and get some of the blood tests done again but that's tricky to arrange with so many people who have childcare responsibilities during the Easter vacation. (I'm not worried about this, it's just a pest to organise.)
Slowsure, keep us posted on the blood test results....I'm glad to see that you're doing well! Is the lack of kayaking due to limited time and opportunity or health? We're praying for good test results for you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Well I have had some success getting back on track these past two days. I (mostly) stuck to my DownDay plan yesterday even though it was sooo hard because I was ravenously hungry. I did allow myself a small cheat but it was hardly "crap" since it was 3/4 cup cauliflower with 1/4 cup homemade low-carb masala sauce. About 100 calories more than my plan.

4/8: 138.2
4/9: 137.8

My scale is getting wonky. This morning it gave me a nice new low, but I always weigh twice. The second time it gave me a huge jump up, so I weighed myself several times and there were some really divergent readings. Yesterday was a down day; I "feel" skinnier (know what I mean, when you can just tell you've lost?) I weighed myself on my old scale and it said 135.5. So I am going with the first reading from my regular scale. Tomorrow, I change the batteries!

Today I am donating plasma so I have a slightly different plan than on a regular day, in the form of a Kombucha tea and two Weight Watchers cheese sticks I consume immediately after donating. Otherwise it's an ordinary day.

I am planning a four mile walk tonight. My Wednesday ladies bible group meets at the church two miles away. It has been so warm and balmy here the past few days; I am walking there and back.
Nikki, I would hardly count 100 calories of cauliflower and sauce as a cheat! Isn't it funny how our boundaries change when we get serious about our WOE? You're doing FABULOUS getting back on track and I am VERY impressed about the 4 miles of walking....wow!!

I hope everyone is doing well on this beautiful Wednesday! Things are good here, just counting down the days til DD's wedding. DD is all set with her dress, shoes, etc....I have my dress, shoes, and am in the process of making a tulle petticoat for my dress......never have made anything like it before, so wish me luck!!
Old 04-18-2014, 06:03 AM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Drive-by to say that I'm fine but I've got trouble with my hands and that's interfering with a number of things.

My hands will recover but they swelled and inflamed after kayak rescue drills last week (they were somewhere between 3 - 4x their usual size) and it's been difficult to use them. (I'm going to have to develop some rescue techniques that have less of an impact on me than the traditional ones.)

As I can't do anything that I'd planned for this weekend, we're going to go and visit family over the Easter weekend.

Hope you Wagoneers have a super time over the holidays.

PS: I still don't know any more about the sarcopenia as I've been waiting on results from a re-draw of some tests.

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #163
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I'm sorry to hear about your hands. That can't be fun.

I am still chugging along. Not much interesting or exciting in my life right now. I should probably be thankful for that.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #164
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Ladies,

Slowsure, I'm sorry you're having trouble with your hands....I hope you feel better soon!

Gina, glad you're still hanging in there!!

How's everyone else?

I'm hanging in there.....Yesterday was NOT a good CTC day, I had a 13 hour work day wrapped around a corp. meeting filled with a lot of bad food options and choices!! I'm still in ketosis, though just barely.....time to drink lots of extra water and increase my fats to get this flushed out of my system!!!

Have a GREAT Easter weekend everyone!
Old 04-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #165
Senior LCF Member

I have been off-plan (nothing too bad, but not sticking to my plan, either) most of the week. I'm back on plan today so I will weigh in tomorrow and hopefully will have some not-too-scary results. Ugh!
Old 04-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you so much for all of the good wishes.

I'm still having some trouble with my hands and shoulders so I'll just have to be patient with those. I'm going out on the water even when I'm not paddling myself as I just can't bear not to do so If this hand/arm problem continues I might do a sailing course as that uses different muscles and would allow me to use a dinghy on days that I can't paddle - so I could still go out on the water. Not as exciting as kayaking but needs must

I haven't had the results of the original or subsequent blood draws for the sarcopenia investigations so I've nothing to report there. I think the problem is that I bruise so much when they take the blood that the enzymes are distorting the test results. If the next re-draw fails, they'll need to rethink the strategy.

Apart from the above, things are OK and the weather here is beautiful. I hope that you're all managing to CTC