Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Challenges! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/)
-   -   I am back!!!! St. Patricks's Day Challenge (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/822586-i-am-back-st-patrickss-day-challenge.html)

Cherylg 02-12-2014 06:33 AM

I am back!!!! St. Patricks's Day Challenge

I came on here in Nov, 2002 and stayed about 10 years, then left for no reason. I didn't lose a whole lot of weight but made great friends and it was fun. So, I have decided too give Atkins another shot. Nothing else is working and I still have 25-30 lbs to lose.

Who wants to join me in my Summer Challenge? - I am going to start a 30 day challenge starting Monday, Feb 17 to St. Patrick's Day, March 17 and lose 10 lbs!!!:clap::up:

sueshe 02-12-2014 09:12 AM

I'm in :) Cheryl, I swear your story reads just like mine. I did lose 50 lbs plus more than twice.....just can't seem to get my butt in gear to do it again, so hear we go....

Cherylg 02-12-2014 09:16 AM

Yeah!! Tasha is in the house!! On to our first challenge, how much do you want to lose by St. Patty's day?

ladyboss7 02-12-2014 05:54 PM

I'll join in! I've got the same darn story, so I started up again Jan. 1. I'm down 15 lbs so far, and I've got to lose as much as possible before my daughters wedding 4/24/14. My goal by 3/17/14 will be at least another 15 pounds! :kicking:

sueshe 02-13-2014 06:15 AM

My goal for St Patty's day is to lose 20 pounds, so I should be at 206.5 by then since I started at 226.5 last Friday.

Today's menu:

B: 2 scrambled eggs, bacon
L: Swiss, Bacon, mayo and lettuce wrap, great value peach tea
D: Taco salad(Linda Sue's taco seasoning, hamburger, lettuce, cheese, tomato)

Going through induction yuck. Headaches, achy, tired. I have slept like a rock the last couple of days. I forget how much better I sleep when I am on Atkins. I will weigh next Monday morning. Cheryl, since you are starting next Monday morning, do you want to make Mondays our weigh in days?

:welcome: ladyboss7 !! Tell us a little about yourself!!!

I'm 46, have a daughter that is 26, she's married and has a 3 year old and we are getting ready to have another granddaughter due in 6 weeks. Also have a son that is 20. Been married 22 years. I have also been on this website since 2000 or 2001, can't remember. Have lost 50+ lbs multiple times, only to gain it back. My goal this time is to lose 90 pounds. I would like to ultimately get to 145. Tired of yo-yoing and soooo tired of being fat. Gotta get healthy so I can keep up with my grandkids :p

Gotta get to work, have a great day!

ladyboss7 02-13-2014 12:47 PM

Thanks for the welcome Tasha!! Boy our stories are sooooo similar!!

I'm 47, tomorrow will be our wedding anniversary and we've been married 27 years. :love: Our son will be 25 this month, and our daughter will be 20 in June. I also have a stepson who's 35.

I never struggled with weight until I had children....then everything changed in my body and I've struggled with it ever since! I have learned through trial and error that I am extremely insulin resistant and carb sensitive. I have also finally found the right combination for me to lose weight seems to be High Fat / Moderate Protein / Extreme low carb. I track EVERYTHING I eat in my online journal and I watch my ratios very carefully! I tend to feel the best and lose the easiest when I keep my calories at or below 1200 with ratios of 75 - 80% fat / 15 - 20% protein / 5% or less carb. I would ultimately love to get below 140 (I'm only 5'3)

Our daughter gets married in late April, so this is my inspiration for losing as much as possible as quickly as possible, but my long term goal is to be at or below 140 by my birthday November 7.

Hope everyone's having a GREAT day!!

sueshe 02-14-2014 06:35 AM

Good morning :)

Today:

B: nothing :( was running late
L: ham/cream cheese/pickle roll ups, gv peach tea
D: Leftover pork chop, cooked cabbage with chopped up bacon pieces

Hope everyone has a great day. A little warmer here today, we actually made it to 50 yesterday, was the first time in weeks we got above freezing. Is supposed to freeze rain this morning and then rain this afternoon....oh joy.

I'm having my daughter's baby shower tomorrow. Praying I have the strength to stay away from the cupcakes and breadsticks. :( The cupcakes are gourmet that I bought from a lady here in town and they are to die for, so must stay away from them! I must stay away from them! LOL maybe if I repeat it enough, it'll happen!:p

bdladie 02-14-2014 06:41 AM

Ok, I need a great challenge to get me moving in the right direction. I at one time had lost 155 pounds. Now I am at I have lost 110 pounds I would like to get that 45 pounds back off.

I go on vacation on March 15th so I would like to be 10 pounds down by my trip to Florida.

I go to a medical weight loss clinic and the diet is not straight atkins but it is pretty close. It works for me but I am a very slow loser and have trouble getting enough exercise in it seems.

Good luck everyone!!

Starting at 203 ugg I hat that number.

sueshe 02-14-2014 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyboss7 (Post 16798957)

I never struggled with weight until I had children....then everything changed in my body and I've struggled with it ever since! I have learned through trial and error that I am extremely insulin resistant and carb sensitive. I have also finally found the right combination for me to lose weight seems to be High Fat / Moderate Protein / Extreme low carb. I track EVERYTHING I eat in my online journal and I watch my ratios very carefully! I tend to feel the best and lose the easiest when I keep my calories at or below 1200 with ratios of 75 - 80% fat / 15 - 20% protein / 5% or less carb. I would ultimately love to get below 140 (I'm only 5'3)

I am the same way, have struggled with my weight my entire adult life, but as I passed 40 it seems like it is harder and harder and my weight is settling into places it's never been before. NOT liking it at all. I don't like the way I look or feel and am not happy with myself at all for letting it get this bad. So....have to do something about it. I'm a lazy low carber. I follow the old school Atkins as it seems to work best for me, I know what I can and can't have to get 20 carbs a day and what to stay away from. The kiss of death for me is having to count anything. That's why none of the other plans, whether it be low fat, calorie counting, whatever hasn't worked because I won't stick with it if I have to count. I've done low carb so many times I know what is what and that's what I stay with if that makes sense. I've also found that keeping it very simple is the best for me. No casseroles or fancy recipes. I usually have eggs and some form of meat for breakfast whether it be sausage or bacon(if I have time), and lunch is something I can throw together quickly in the morning, so a salad, a lettuce rollup or something similar and for supper, again, some form of meat and a vegetable from the allowable list. I usually stick with green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage and asparagus. Once I've been in it for a while I will add in squash or something but in very small amounts. Okay, I'll shut up now. :) I get on a roll and can't stop. :o

sueshe 02-14-2014 07:01 AM

Cherrrryyyyylllll??????? Come on sister, where are you!?:lol:

sueshe 02-14-2014 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdladie (Post 16799861)
Ok, I need a great challenge to get me moving in the right direction. I at one time had lost 155 pounds. Now I am at I have lost 110 pounds I would like to get that 45 pounds back off.

I go on vacation on March 15th so I would like to be 10 pounds down by my trip to Florida.

I go to a medical weight loss clinic and the diet is not straight atkins but it is pretty close. It works for me but I am a very slow loser and have trouble getting enough exercise in it seems.

Good luck everyone!!

Starting at 203 ugg I hat that number.

:welcome: the more the merrier!!! I'm not an exerciser. Which is why I have the jiggles in every single portion of my body. :o I started back on plan this week and next week am going to add in walking on the treadmill. Once I get in the habit of doing it, I'm usually ok and will stick with it but I'm a slacker and am not too proud to admit it. LOL Need to do something about that! I'm hoping as I lose weight it will be easier to do more and be more active. Past experience tells me it will, so waiting patiently :D

ladyboss7 02-14-2014 07:27 AM

Hi Tania, welcome! :hiya:

Sue, I see you're in SE Missouri....where about? I grew up in the SW corner over in Neosho / Joplin. I haven't been back since graduating HS, but my folks moved back there a few years ago. You know I completely understand what you're saying about weight loss being harder after 40....and yes it settles in weird places!! :confused: But I think the difference now at least for me, is I finally really understand and have come to peace with what DOES work for me......and I see that with a lot of gals in our age group.....we've all come to the place of saying OK...I get it.....I know what works for ME, and now it's time to do it!!

Happy Valentines day everyone!! :heart: Today is my wedding anniversary, we're celebrating 27 years. :love: We have plans to go out to lunch and spend the afternoon together. Lunch will be easy, because we're both doing the same WOE....so no temptations to cheat! :laugh:

sueshe 02-14-2014 07:39 AM

Tammy~~I'm about 80 miles south of St Louis, Farmington/Fredericktown. I went to college a few years in Bolivar so am familiar with your area in SW Mo. Happy Anniversary! Valentines Day has always been a bit bittersweet for me. My first husband passed away from cancer at 25, our Anniversary was VD and my Mom and Dad's Anniversary was Valentines Day, he passed away in 2002. Hope you enjoy your day! We don't usually do anything, I'm kind of a party pooper when it comes to this day, I've always felt like it was a retail holiday created by the greeting card and floral industry to make money. We will occasionally go out to eat or something but haven't for years. By the way, I love your saying on your signature!!! LOL

mortgagemom 02-16-2014 02:19 PM

I'm in!! Like many, this is my 3rd time starting Atkins. Lost over 35 lbs the first time, but when hubby hit his goal I stalled and eventually gained it all back plus some. We are recent empty nesters, sold our house and downsized to a townhome. Now it's time to downsize us!! We're both committed to making this a lifestyle change for good. My goal for St. Patrick's day is 10 lbs.

ladyboss7 02-16-2014 04:23 PM

Sue, how tragic to lose someone so young!!! :console: Yes, I can certainly understand the day being so bittersweet for you. We had a lovely day, went out to a nice lunch and spent some time at the beach......we even got to see a whale and some seals playing in the ocean!

Ok ladies, are we ready to kick this challenge off tomorrow?? Is everyone still in? I for one will definitely be back tomorrow to check in with my official starting weight, I hope everyone else is too!!! :heart:

ladyboss7 02-16-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mortgagemom (Post 16802437)
I'm in!! Like many, this is my 3rd time starting Atkins. Lost over 35 lbs the first time, but when hubby hit his goal I stalled and eventually gained it all back plus some. We are recent empty nesters, sold our house and downsized to a townhome. Now it's time to downsize us!! We're both committed to making this a lifestyle change for good. My goal for St. Patrick's day is 10 lbs.

Hi Theresa, welcome aboard!! :welcome:

sueshe 02-17-2014 05:45 AM

Good morning all!!! Happy Monday!

Today's menu:

B: 2 deviled eggs, gv orange sunrise drink
L: 2 ham/cream cheese/pickle rolls, gv peach tea
D: Baked ham/deviled eggs, asparagus.

Too much ham today but family didn't show up for dinner last night like they usually do, so ham for me :)

My weigh in this morning was 219.0. I started at 226.5 on 2/7 so not doing too shabby. Weight loss of 7.5.

:welcome: Theresa!!! Yes, we are gonna kick butt!!! My favorite place in the whole world is the ocean. I was raised in Florida and miss it so much. Most of my family still lives there so at least I get to visit at least once a year, but still miss it.

Hope everyone had a great weekend, let's get this week rollin!!!

mortgagemom 02-17-2014 06:10 AM

Good morning!!

Getting another 4-6" of snow today, so before it gets too heavy I'm headed out to my chiropractic decompression therapy. It's been doing wonders for my back! Hubby is off today and made breakfast: scrambled eggs and bacon :)

Weighed in at 215.6 this morning. I started at 218 on 2/7. Had a big Valentines Day dinner, albeit low carb it was more phase 2 than induction and I did have some wine. Time to get serious now!!

Here's to a new challenge - we got this!!

MichelleHu 02-17-2014 06:36 AM

:hiya:Hi guys I am going to jump in here and join you.

I am 44. 2 dd's one is 20 and out in the world and the other is 13, my little surprise. DH is skinny and I am tired of being the fat one, we look like spaghetti and a meatball. Gained it all after dd2 was born. Took off some back in 2001 after she was born by coming on here and going low carb but then fell off, man that was a long time ago and just kept gaining.

Now I am 3 lbs from hitting 60 lbs lost and that magical "onederland" which is also my pretty much halfway point too. 140 is the real goal, 135 for vanity and a cusion.

Recently have been doing NK and EFGT, well as best I can but weight started moving again after getting the fat up, so sticking with that for now.

Starting this at exactly 203 and want to get to 193. Have a couple excursions planned in the next month, eating out and all, probably some wine too. I dont find the eating out a problem but the wine or drinks....:stars:

Okay I am ready:clap: to rock this:sing:

Cherylg 02-17-2014 06:37 AM

I am here and ready to roll!!! My weigh in today is 191:mad:

Tasha - you are doing super! How did the shower go and did you behave;)
Once you put your mind to it, you do terrific! Do you want to weigh in on Monday - whatever you want to do!

Theresa - :welcome: and my goal is 10 lbs too!! I tried low fat in the past year and I did lose some, but then it stopped working so I am back again!

ladyboss - :welcome: Glad you joined us! Your daughter's wedding is a great incentive - Everyone checks out the Mother of the Bride!!

bdladie - :welcome: Where in Florida? Come on down, the weather is absolutely beautiful!

Little bit about myself - I am 58, mother of two gorgeous daughters. Danielle is 26 and Ashley is 23. I am in Stuart, FL. I am a transplanted New Yorker and go back to visit a lot. Going June 7th, so would love to be down 15 by then. I am divorced and he passed way over 5 years ago. I am a General Manager and work really hard for my money - lol

Tasha and I have been chatting with each other since 2002 and we recently decided to get back in here and be done with it!!

Cherylg 02-17-2014 06:41 AM

Michelle - :welcome: You can do this!! I was 205-214 for years and last April went on a strict fat free diet and got down to 186, vowing never to get out of onederland - I am doing Atkins again to lose the rest, like 30 lbs.:clap::up:

sueshe 02-17-2014 07:22 AM

Theresa-UGH, I am sooooo sick of the snow/ice/below freezing temps this year. We have had the worst winter in probably 30 years, really really really ready for spring!.. Congrats on your loss! I love going to the chiropractor, helps my back so much. I just wish I could find one that doesn't make me come weekly. I don't have time for that, wish I could just go when I need to and be done with it.

Michelle-:welcome: Awesome on the loss! I hear you on the spaghetti and meatball thing. My dd is pregnant now so I am not so uncomfortable around her...that's terrible isn't it?:o

Cheryl-Shower was a huge success! So glad it's over. She got lots of good stuff, had about 30 people there. Cupcakes were horrible from what I heard which made me mad as expensive as they were but kinda glad I didn't waste my day on them. I did pretty good, had a few things that weren't low carb but didn't make me gain.....so back on strict induction now. I'm pretty satisfied with my loss so far and hoping once I get ketosis rolling I get back on the good loss wagon! :D

ladyboss7 02-17-2014 07:41 AM

Good morning ladies!!!

My official Monday morning weight was 220.8! I was so excited I nearly fell off the scales.....got back on just to double check!!! :laugh: See I started back up at the first of January and lost 15 pounds very quickly....then the last three weeks I've been on antibiotics and have been gaining and losing the same 2 pounds over and over again.....very frustrating! But I knew it was the meds, so I stayed true to my plan and was ECSTATIC to see this morning that I'd not only lost that same two pounds, but another 2+!!! That is definitely a great way to start the week and a new challenge!

Tasha, Great job avoiding the cupcakes and the other stuff at the shower....that takes determination! :high5:

Cheryl, my DD who is getting married in April is also named Danielle, and yes her wedding is HUGE motivation.....those wedding pictures are eternal!! :laugh:

Michelle, 60 pounds lost is AMAZING....I am seriously impressed! I also love your avi....hehe! :laugh:

Theresa, congrats on the loss....I think losing weight over Valentines day is a great accomplishment!! :shake:

Well I'm off to work, everyone have a fabulous Monday!

Cherylg 02-17-2014 07:54 AM

I have not been on this for awhile. Tasha gave me some great ideas - does anyone else have good snack ideas? Please don't say sf jello:rofl:

sueshe 02-17-2014 09:39 AM

I have always sworn off any Atkins products and I don't buy into the net carb thing, it never worked for me, I'm pretty old school when it comes to my woe. HOWEVER... ;) I came across the Atkins peanut butter bars and they are to die for. I read somewhere a little tip on how to control yourself with these and it seems to work for me. I cut each bar in 5 or 6 little pieces, put them in a baggie in the fridge and if I need a little sweet something, I eat a piece. I limit myself to one or two pieces a day. I found that I only ate 3 pieces all week last week, so is kind of my sweet tooth insurance and I love them! :love: Now if I can just keep everyone else out of them!:mad:

sueshe 02-17-2014 09:40 AM

ladyboss - :jumpjoy: WTG on the loss!!!

kc15652 02-17-2014 11:43 AM

Hey ladies
I just joined today and saw your challenge. Can i join in? I'd love to lose 10 pounds by ST Patricks Day. Being that I live in Florida my bathingsuit weather is right around the corner and I need to get more serious. I have been doing low carb since January but every 2 weeks or so I find that I go off on the weekends and so therefore I cant get ahead. Hoping to get motivation from thsi website. I love what I see so far

ladyboss7 02-17-2014 12:15 PM

Hi KC, welcome aboard, these ladies are AWESOME! :welcome:

Tasha, thank you!! :o WTG on the atkins bars....very clever idea!!

Cheryl, a quick go to for me that I've been enjoying when I feel snacky is a dip made with an ounce or two of cream cheese, and an ounce or so of shredded cheese and some salsa or green chili mixed in and warmed up like queso, that with pork rinds I find very filling and satisfying. If I want something sweeter, I love to take pecans or walnuts whip up an egg white or two, mix the nuts in the egg bath and then toss them in some splenda and sugar.....spread them out on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and bake them in the oven at about 325 - 350 for around 20 - 25 minutes. They are SOOOOO good. Nuts don't stall me and I usually can control my portions with them, but a lot of folks try to avoid them....but if you're ok with them, give that a try!!

Cherylg 02-17-2014 12:47 PM

Tammy - thanks, sounds good! Dip and pork rinds sounds really good. Nuts are not my friend, unfortunately. I am going to check out the bars, too!

kc - where are you in Florida?:welcome: We all need that push.

How about tomorrow, we start posting menus and exercise? Tasha, what do you think?

28 MORE DAYS TO ST. PATTY'S - MY IRISH EYES WILL BE SMILING IF I LOSE 10 LBS!!:laugh:

kc15652 02-17-2014 01:12 PM

I'm in Winter Haven FL. Right outside Kississimee or Orlando. I'm up for that. Lets do that start posting menus and exercise tomorrow. Then it helps others with menu ideas too :) Thanks for welcoming me ladies