Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Challenges! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/)
-   -   small one person challenge (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/822268-small-one-person-challenge.html)

jeaniem 02-06-2014 04:42 PM

small one person challenge

I need one person who like me has a hard time keeping up with large group challenges, but would like to post daily with me and support one another in finally reaching our weight and health goals.

TerriMM 02-14-2014 12:19 PM

Iíll be your Huckleberry Jeanie! :up: I have a real hard time keeping up with the long, big challenges too.

Iíve had a couple starts and stops this year, partly from getting sick. . I am down about 4 or 5 # from the first, so not too bad but when I consider how much I gained the last part of the year, Iím hardly impressed. I recently picked up Atkins í72 and am thinking of giving that a real serious go of it. What are you doing?

jeaniem 02-14-2014 03:36 PM

Hi Terri! I had given up on finding someone to post with me. I don't know how much I have gained but I will weigh tomorrow and find out. I was babysitting today and the baby kept grabbing my belly fat, this made me want to cry. The good thing is it was a real wake up call as to how much weight I have gained. I really would like to be very near goal by Mother's Day. I like the simplicity of 72 and will go with that plan for a while. I may tweak as needed after induction as I tend to sleep poorly and get massive hot flashes and anxiety when I keep carbs really low for too long.

vella_marie 02-14-2014 05:33 PM

I just wanted to say good luck to both of you!!!

jeaniem 02-15-2014 06:55 AM

Thanks Vella:)

jeaniem 02-15-2014 06:57 AM

Okay the damage is 150.6:stars::eek: Some water I know but lots of fat too!
I am going to IF most of the day and have a 72 style dinner.

TerriMM 02-15-2014 07:58 PM

I don't usually scan the challenges because the few times I've joined I've felt like I just got lost. I was feeling a bit lost and trying to find direction and there you were. If it makes you feel any better (it does for me :o) we are so totally in the same boat my friend.

Just to remind you, I am also 5'1-1/2". 55, will be 56 in June. We've been through a lot of the same experiments, etc. together and separately. We can do this together! I'm happy you're doing '72 too. It didn't really matter what your plan was but how great our day to day will work together. Although if you don't already know this about me, I follow the path least traveled by. So I am in no way a purest.

I've been doing quite a bit of reading and researching about '72 for the last couple months. I've seen a couple of your posts so you probably have a little more experience than me. I hope you don't mind if I lean on that a little :shake: I did buy the book, I thought I had the original from the 80s and was very surprised to find I didn't. I'm currently just doing low carb. I plan to start in full Monday. I will update my stats then. :eek:

TerriMM 02-15-2014 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vella_marie (Post 16800609)
I just wanted to say good luck to both of you!!!

Thanks Vella!:hugs:

jeaniem 02-15-2014 08:33 PM

Terri
I can't find my 72 book but have a 78 edition that I think is basically the same eating plan. I also read a sticky in the 72 forum that gives a basic overview of the plan. I like that induction is only 1 week and that you can add in 5 carbs weekly of pretty much anything of your choosing as you progress to finding your carb level tolerance.

I had no idea our age and stats were so similar! I am glad you found me! I had a good eating day and even got in a short 20 min weights session. Between shoveling snow and the weights I am feeling pretty sore. Sigh.... so out of shape!

TerriMM 02-15-2014 08:49 PM

Hey Jeanie!
That's exactly what my version says. If you have any questions let me know and I'll verify for you.

As far as exercise, my mantra this year has been to so "something" everyday. Even if it's only 5 min of lifting or Body Flex or a 20 min walk. I've been about 80% successful. This week I over did it a little so I'm a little gimpy, (I don't know what you mean about being out of shape :laugh:). Tomorrow I think I'll be back to "at least" status. ;)

Sorry about the snow, where are you? I'm in California in the middle of a drought, though it's hard to complain just now being in the low 60s.

jeaniem 02-16-2014 07:47 AM

Hey Terri
Lost .4 yesterday, today will probably be my real drop the water day as it is usually days 2 and 3 for me. I'll join you in the do at least something every day. It helps keep me in the habit when I get that mindset.

I am in Maryland and this winter has really been brutal. We just got 20 inches of snow last Thursday! Did I mention I hate snow:mad:

Got out for a somewhat icy 2 mile walk with DH this morning.:heart:

Have you read that Emergency Diet book?

TerriMM 02-16-2014 09:29 AM

That's a great way to end the weekend :high5: I on the other hand had Mexican for lunch yesterday so I'm up 2#. :annoyed: Just going to eat good low carb and drink a lot of water today and hope to lose most of that for my official weigh in tomorrow.

I'm feeling a lot less gimpy today so will resume "something".

I haven't read the Emergency Diet. From what she said on the thread it sounded pretty straight forward. Did you find much new info worth paying for in the book?

And Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr 20"?

jeaniem 02-16-2014 06:10 PM

Well 2 days of good eating and some exercise as well. What I hate about low carb is my hot flashes increase and I get increased anxiety. Flip side is I lose belly fat quickly and am not constantly binging on carbs, so that makes me for the meantime want to stick it out until I either adapt or figure out whether adding some good carbs in helps with the issues.

How was your day Terri? Are you still going with the 72 plan? Back to work tomorrow where did the weekend go!? I am a nanny and often find that feeding the kiddos their meals and carby snacks is too much to take sometimes!

TerriMM 02-17-2014 06:57 AM

I've got to say I am so ready to get started! My "something" ended up being yard work again. You guessed it, back on the gimpy bench again. Add the Advil bump to the Mexican bump and I'm up 4# for the weekend :stars:

Yes I'm starting '72. Deviled egg salad for breakfast, cheese for snack, Roast chicken with mayo sauce and green olives for lunch and burger and salad for dinner. What's your menu?

Have you ever tried yam cream for the hot flashes? My mom used to swear by it.

TerriMM 02-17-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniem (Post 16802646)
I am a nanny and often find that feeding the kiddos their meals and carby snacks is too much to take sometimes!

I've been thinking about this all morning. That would be torture! I'd have to have some kind of "legal" yummy snack to reward myself or get them bad stuff I didn't like. :laugh: Like if I ever get DH girl scout cookies, I buy the one's I don't like. :o

jeaniem 02-17-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerriMM (Post 16803352)
I've been thinking about this all morning. That would be torture! I'd have to have some kind of "legal" yummy snack to reward myself or get them bad stuff I didn't like. :laugh: Like if I ever get DH girl scout cookies, I buy the one's I don't like. :o

It does feel like torture at times.:lol: The longer I can stay on plan the easier it gets, I go to their home though so I have no control over the foods.

My menu today:
coffee w/cream
lots of green tea

Italian sausage link
beef brisket
rotisserie chicken
1 cheddar cheese stick

1 small salad made with romaine,cukes, 3 black olives and olive oil/vinegar dressing.

I feel really good finishing up day 3 and had a nice whoosh this morning. No official exercise but am worn out from carrying kiddos up/down steps and carrying heavy car seats in and out of the stores today. I don't know how long this 52 yr. old body can continue caring for little ones:o

I haven't tried anything for the hot flashes. I am skeered to so I put up with them. I think the higher protein is what makes me even hotter??

TerriMM 02-17-2014 04:02 PM

Lady you're preaching to the choir! I can't believe I killed my back this week with the piddly yard work I did. :p

So what are your thoughts on Green Tea? I took some Raspberry Ketones with Green Tea and I liked it, but couldnít take it too late in the day because of the caffeine. Know I wonder if it helped because the caffeine kept my metabolism cranking or if it was the green tea. I've thought about just taking green tea by itself. I don't really drink a lot of tea. Two cups of coffee in the morning and then mostly water the rest of the day.

jeaniem 02-17-2014 04:19 PM

I don't really drink the tea for any other reason than it warms me up and when heated with a little lemon it acts as a great diuretic. Not sure if the claims about increased fat burning are founded or not. I do take cla pro-cut, it is a combo of cla, mct and coconut oil daily. I also take borage or evening primrose oil. I guess I can never be 100% sure they help but I really feel like they help me burn fat and keep me feeling full. I know from experience though that this effect is short lived and at that point I will stop the combo for a while and resume later.

TerriMM 02-17-2014 07:50 PM

Real nice Whoosh, by the way! :up: Is this your first weigh in?

jeaniem 02-18-2014 11:11 AM

I started on the 15th at 150.6, lost another .6 today. Geez my pants feel so tight I am making myself wear them though so as not to continue deluding myself into thinking that I haven't really gained that much weight. So easy to slip into the comfy warm sweats and not really feel the weight gain ya know? I swear every extra pound has gone to my lower belly is shakes like a bowl full of jelly ugh!!!!!!!! I am extra hungry today:dunno: and tired so I have to be mindful today to not slip up.

I see you dropped a pound:high5:

TerriMM 02-18-2014 11:59 AM

More like a Ĺ pound, but Iíll take it. I was real hungry last night; I think it was the lettuce with olive oil/vinegar/lemon juice dressing because I had no hunger prior to that. Point is, although legal, I ate a ton at the end of the day. Plus I took Advil yesterday morning, so all and all not too bad. Today Iím trying to make a go of it without the Advil and space out my veggies throughout the day instead of at the end. Iím having a small cucumber with lunch and small salad if anything with dinner.

Looks like youíre on a roll. Iíll bet next week those pants will be quite comfortable. ;)

TerriMM 02-19-2014 06:10 AM

Laying off the Advil paid off. Down 1.3, so I lost the Advil bump. :clap: Now to get after the Mexican lunch bump. :p My evening out my veggies didnít quite work out as planned. I had a nail appt. last night so I picked up taco salads last night. Fortunately I have a place that will make it just the way I like with no shell, beans or rice. So it was pretty clean. I realized I was going to do that so I skipped the cucumber for lunch.
Today is:
B Ė Boiled eggs, bacon, coffee with HWC
L Ė Chicken Salad, green olives
D Ė Pork Chop & Salad

How are you doing today?

jeaniem 02-19-2014 03:25 PM

Well I got a nice surprise drop of almost 2 pounds this morning, so what did I do I ate cookies and ice cream:o I tried to talk myself out of it but nadda:dunno:

Oh well tomorrow is a new day.:)

TerriMM 02-19-2014 04:07 PM

We shall just call it a carb reload and not speak of it again. ;)

jeaniem 02-20-2014 01:09 PM

You're doing great Terri I see you are at 144 now:)

I gained 1.4 pounds from my little "reload", but have not eaten yet today so I think it will come off quickly. I will just forgo the salad carbs at dinner and eat meat and eggs. Got in a nice 20 min walk/jog this afternoon. Feels so good to be outside in fresh warmer air.

TerriMM 02-20-2014 02:27 PM

Hey Girly, Girl!
Yep, nice little 1.2 whoosh this morning. :up: Hoping for at least .80 tomorrow and then Iíll be below last Thursday before the madness that was last weekend descended upon me. I was able to do my Body Flex routine last night so Iím feeling good too. Hopefully we can get a power walk in tomorrow, that will make a big once for the week.

Iíll bet your little bump will be a distant memory by tomorrow. Glad to hear itís warming up a bit for you. Spring is in the air here for sure.

jeaniem 02-20-2014 03:49 PM

Hey Terri
Have you found that a particular WOE works best for losing belly fat? Assuming that is even an issue for you. I like low carb but wonder if low(er) fat while watching cals is more effective as I get older???

TerriMM 02-20-2014 04:29 PM

You know the older I get the more fat seems to agree with me. It's the carbs that seem to be so unforgiving.

You might look into that Body Flex I've been talking about. It's breathing and stretching exercises that are remarkably effective for the waist. It's old, like from the 80s. I picked up an old VHS from Amazon for $.99 and copied it on to CD. You feel goofy doing it but it's low impact and it works. Dana Carpender talks about it on her site too. There were some threads here that talk about it here too.

jeaniem 02-20-2014 05:25 PM

I guess I am just not used to having all this belly fat and it is making me second guess LC.
Before I found LC I was in denial about my weight and really don't remember feeling all that fat, a picture was a wake up call though! Having been at or close to goal not so long ago makes the fat feel worse or more apparent to me now. Like right now I can feel the bulge there ugh! I have to get back in the low 130's at least. I know walk/jogs and low carb work for me so I need to trust the process and be more patient.

Today's food:
Coffee and lemon water only until 4:30 pm
beef brisket
Italian sausage link
2 eggs fried in ghee w/shredded cheddar and bacon bits

TerriMM 02-20-2014 08:29 PM

My problem isn't trusting it. I know it works. I just have trouble not thinking that maybe I can just get away with one little brownie. And truth be known, I probably could. But one turns into two, turns into a couple fries, turns into an ice cream turns into "oh crap, I gained how much?" :eek: I keep thinking I can figure out a way to have carbs and lose or maintain, and I can if I want to give up fat and be hungry all the time. So I have decided, given the choice (aside from actually being the healthiest option for me) I chose fat.

So what did you do to get to goal?

Your menu looks great, I'll bet the reload will be history tomorrow!