Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #271
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
I want what I had in 2010 when I was at goal,which was 6 months of no overeating and/or binge eating. I must have been in ketosis then?? I can't seem to string any amount of days together to make any real head way.

I will be anxious to hear how the fast works for you Terri.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #272
Big Yapper!!!!

I finally got my fasting blood work done this morning. My home BG was 98 right before I left for the lab, I am interested to see what the lab number will be. I have never compared them before, hoping that I find my meter is relatively accurate. My AM bg used to run in the 70s when I was at goal, so closing in our 100 is not a good sign, especially since my mom/dad and younger siblings have type 2. Maybe it will be the kick I need?
Old 04-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #273
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 144/141.8/130
WOE: IE/M&E
That's how I feel about my tests. When I was at goal back in 2012 my cholesterol had gone done from 185 to 167. This time it was 209. I studied my journals and timing and this was not only when my weight was down but I was also doing a lot of fat fasting with intermittent HCG rounds that included about 50/50 Fat Fasting. So another reason that Iím back to Fat Fasting.
TerriMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #274
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I remember now why I did Fat Fasting and why I stopped.
Why I did it:
1. It works for me, pure and simple.
2. I can eat some of my favorites, mayo, nuts, real salad dressing, cheese, avocado, dark chocolate, etc.
3. I have zero hunger.
4. Exercise doesnít hamper my losses.
5. I have plenty of energy, but I do have a bit more of a ďcarb fluĒ cross over the first day or two, basically because itís more extreme.
6. I donít have to stick to the 1000 calories. I actually lose a little better at 1400-1500 and can occasionally go up to 1700 and still lose.

Why I stopped:
1. Itís a lot of work. I have to journal and weigh every morsel.
2. Even with some of my favorites it does get a little monotonous, but what diet doesnít?
3. Itís a bit of challenge on the road or at functions. You think people treat you like an alien on low carb, try ďdietingĒ eating all the dressings and sauces with a side of meat or veggies.
4. It doesnít work as well if I start and stop. I need to either stay on it or wait three or four weeks to do another one.

Even after my typical ďgaineyĒ weekend, Iím down 2.5# for the week. So Iím going to attempt to stick to it for a while.

How are you doing my friend?

You still with us Lemon? How are you doing?
Old 04-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #275
Big Yapper!!!!

I feel so frickin frumpy after getting dressed today! I didn't lose anything this week, no surprise there though. I just can't seem to get motivated enough to stay on any plan.

Thanks for posting Terri, you inspire me to keep trying!
Old 04-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #276
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think itís a matter of finding what you're willing to do. Hopefully we're figuring out that together
Old 04-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #277
Big Yapper!!!!

How is your weekend going Terri? Are you doing a fat fast?
Old 04-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #278
Big Yapper!!!!

I am not sure what to try at this point. I have noticed the last few days that I get this crazy gotta eat hunger soon after eating full meals. The hunger is not satisfied until I eat far more calories and/or carbs than will allow for me to lose any weight. It is crazy hunger like I feel so hungry that my stomach will feel sick until I eat something. Do you ever get this way? I don't recall this happening when I was at goal before. I am interested to see the results of my blood work, maybe it is high blood sugar, if it is low carb will be the fix I suppose, but it won't be easy as I have been doing well eating low carb the last 3 days and today the hunger was the worst.
reach 120lbs. by 9/1/14
Exercise daily including strength workouts
!

150 140 130 120

Last edited by jeaniem; 04-27-2014 at 02:07 PM..
Old 04-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #279
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

When I eat Carbs, specifically wheat and sugar I get that obsessive hunger. But feeling sick with it sounds a little more than your average carb overload, unless what you're eating is upsetting your tummy until you put something else in it Maybe your blood tests will give you a clue. How were you eating when you were at goal? Maybe you should try that.

I'm still doing fat fast. I gave myself a break and didn't journal today, but think I did okay. I think I might have had a little too much protein, but I'm still in deep ketosis, so I think I'll be okay.

I was going to start my second round of arm challenge today, but after planting three flats of flowers I'm done. What do you think of it so far?
Old 04-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #280
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Jeanie,
Here are some quotes from another thread I thought you might be interested in. The book is only available on Kindle, but it sure gets some great reviews. It targets serial dieters like us. I'm thinking about getting it. Check it out and tell me what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qurlybee View Post
Sure! In its most basic sense, it is listening to your body to determine when you're actually hungry and then stopping when your body tells you it's satisfied. It really works because you can eat exactly what you want.

Ie. I was really craving limon chips yesterday (probably because I lost a ton of salt via the virus), and I also picked up some lemonade and a few other sundries. Nothing was low carb because I didn't want anything low carb. However, I literally only took a few nibbles of everything and then I felt satisfied.

So, I don't think I am going to restrict myself to LC anymore because I think I will automatically end up eating LC anyway since the volume of food I consume will be SOOOO much less that it'll be hard to eat anywhere near the carbs it would take to make me fat.

The same happened when I was a kid. I was literally eating McDonald's and Chinese food very, very often and lost several sizes (I didn't weigh back then, but I went from "the fat girl" to "the it girl" in a matter of months - people asked if my parents had let me have lipo...). I definitely don't plan to partake in anything that is super unhealthy like that so often this time around - I am 15 years older, which I have to consider - but the concept is something that was very easy to sustain for me because I never felt deprived of anything. I looked like all the girls I hated who ate whatever they wanted and still were slim, and no one once asked me if I was on a diet. And food just became good food or food I didn't want and not my life. As well as I've done on LC, I can say that food is no longer my comfort when depressed/stressed/angry, but it is still somewhat of an obsession that I want to abandon.

*whew* That was a lot! I suggest a book I just finished reading that I can lend to you via Barnes & Noble if you have an account! It's a super quick read and will give you a lot of info. Just message me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by qurlybee View Post
Sure thing, Terri! I will definitely keep up with you guys. I realize I am in a precarious position coming straight from a virus so I may end up gaining like 5 lbs anyway tomorrow, but we'll see - haha. (Although I don't plan to weigh again for a while)
I wasn't sure if I could post the title or not, but it's called You Can Have Your Cake and Your Skinny Jeans, Too by Josie Spinardi.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #281
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
When I eat Carbs, specifically wheat and sugar I get that obsessive hunger. But feeling sick with it sounds a little more than your average carb overload, unless what you're eating is upsetting your tummy until you put something else in it Maybe your blood tests will give you a clue. How were you eating when you were at goal? Maybe you should try that.

I'm still doing fat fast. I gave myself a break and didn't journal today, but think I did okay. I think I might have had a little too much protein, but I'm still in deep ketosis, so I think I'll be okay.

I was going to start my second round of arm challenge today, but after planting three flats of flowers I'm done. What do you think of it so far?

I feel like my arms are a bit more toned, but I need to lose some fat so it's hard to say. I feel better about myself if I at least do something and the arm challenge is short and sweet, so I can usually get it done easily.
The crazy hunger has been after low carb meals so I don't understand why it is happening, I have a hunch that it may be the mct oil, not sure but I didn't take any today and I have been fine. When I was at goal I ate mostly meat. Very little in the way of veggies and occasionally eggs. I had very little appetite, it drove my DH crazy as I would often neglect to make dinner because it just didn't occur to me that he might be hungry.Anyway nothing I try now seems to get me to the happy place of no food obsession.

How crazy is this!? That book you mentioned I already have it on my kindle and either never read it or don't recall doing so. If I can get myself in read mode tonight I'll let you know what I think.

Last edited by jeaniem; 04-28-2014 at 04:11 PM..
Old 04-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #282
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's funny! I went ahead and downloaded it. My "Kindle" is my I phone so it's kind of a pain. I also downloaded a pdf that was recommended on the Intuitive Eating Thread and printed it "The Overfed Head by Rob Stevens". If you Google it, it's a free download.

You might be right about the MCT, I didn't think about that. I tried making Crack and Clouds with the coconut oil and I couldn't stop eating them and gained every time. It was okay to cook with, but that's about it. I just didn't see the point since I really like the flavor of Olive Oil.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #283
Big Yapper!!!!

Have you read any of the book Terri? I started it today and have to wonder if like she says that is really possible to eat any type of food and lose weight.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:09 PM   #284
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I haven't read any of that one yet but I started the Overfed Head last night. I know what you mean, it sounds way too good to be true. I've started trying to be mindful of being hungry or just snacky KWIM? And Iím going to continue reading with an open mind. Iím following the new thread Intuitive Eating 2014 with interest but I think these gals are just starting. They reference a couple other older threads but I havenít had time to check into those. But can you imagine quitting dieting? You think if it were that easy it would be all over the threads, but like I said, Iím going to read it with an open mind and if nothing else maybe pick up some good tools.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:50 PM   #285
Big Yapper!!!!

I too am keeping an open mind,I am so tired of dieting and/or trying to perhaps undo the damage from past attempts at weight loss.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:14 PM   #286
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

True that! They need a fingers crossed icon
Old 05-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #287
Big Yapper!!!!

I have been reading the skinny jeans book and am not feeling like I can muster the effort to follow through on her suggestions. I know she says no rules, but in my mind there are all rules. Eat only sitting down and from a plate. Rate your hunger at different points in the meal. I haven't finished the book yet, but I kinda feel like her eating style is kinda the long way around to a low carb diet with the occasional treat allowed. It is probably just me being cynical though.
I ordered the steak lover's diet. Not even sure why I did as what makes me think it will be any different? After being at goal following low carb, I want and need to figure out why low carb stopped working for me. I know all the yada yada yada about carb creep and lack of exercise leading to weight regain, but the question remains why did I suddenly start craving carbs in the first place? As one who was/is seriously addicted to carbs and binged frequently 6 months without going off plan seemed like heaven on earth. Such a load was off my shoulders during that binge free period. I thought I had found the answer and was so happy.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #288
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have a friend doing Steak Lover's and she really likes it. I canít report results, as she is boycotting the scale currently.

I have read more of Overfed Head then Skinny Jeans, though I did start that yesterday. I hadn't gotten to the rules part though and at this point the only rules Iím going to follow are:
Eat when youíre hungry
Stop when youíre satisfied (not full)
Eat what your body wants

Iíll take the other stuff as helpful suggestions at this point.

I wonder if hormones might be contributing to the carb cravings? Is there anything else that changed?
Old 05-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #289
Big Yapper!!!!

Is the Overfed Head much different than skinny jeans so far as you have read?

Hormones maybe? I am so depressed about my life, have been for a while but when I was at goal and taking care of myself I was happier and better able to cope with the things in my life that depress me and cause me anxiety. At times I feel like I only keep trying for my family. Sorry to be such a downer, guess I am just feeling sort of defeated lately.

Last edited by jeaniem; 05-01-2014 at 05:04 PM..
Old 05-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #290
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're right your family needs you, just as much as you need them!

There is nothing wrong with asking for help. Maybe your doc can offer some hormones, weight loss help or something else. Have you had your thyroid checked? You've been trying so hard, maybe there's something organic that could be adjusted?
Old 05-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #291
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey Jeanie,
How you doing today?

I'm a little bummed. After what I though was a very successful FF week, feeling thinner and looking more toned I thought I was going to break the 140s for sure. Nope, actually up 1.5 So if I wasn't sure before, I'm headed to IE full bore this week and see where it gets me. I'm finding that stopping when I'm full is not that much of a challenge while eating meals, its snacks that bite me so far. But there is still a big learning curve. It's really a whole new way of thinking about food. In some ways harder than you think, in some ways just a breath of fresh air.

You had asked me if I thought Overfed head was much different for Skinny Jeans. So far I've found them very close. I've read more of Overfed and have not come across "the rules" you mentioned in Skinny Jeans yet. So at this point it makes me more partial to Overfed. I'm embracing the whole concept of NOT Dieting but changing my relationship with food. The more rules I have the more Iíll feel like itís just another diet, so like I said Iím considering the other rules as just helpful suggestions.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #292
Big Yapper!!!!

What do you think caused the gain? I did okay today, not really low carb but volume wise I did well. I am on thyroid meds and also take wellbutrin. I am waiting for my Dr. to call me with my recent bloodwork results, maybe something going on there? It is going to be a emotional weekend, my son is coming home from the rehab on a day pass tomorrow. Part of my depression and anxiety stems from his addiction issues. It makes me feel like a bad parent even though I know I raised him well and am a good mom. What really scares me for him is he is determined to stay sober and is doing so well, but I hope he can do it for good! I liken his alcohol addiction to my carb addiction and know that I lose control even though I tell myself I won't.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #293
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have someone in my life fighting alcohol, and I always equate it with my fight with carbs. For the most part they are actually the same, a sugar addiction.

I struggle with the decisions my son makes too. I wonder if there was something that I missed in teaching him, even though heís forty and way beyond succumbing to my advice. But I realize, I never blamed my parents for my regrettable decisions, then why do I consider I have responsibility for the decisions my son makes? My only mission is to be there for him and help him make better decisions in the future. But the ultimate decision is his, just like my decisions are mine. Sometimes that mission requires me to step back and let him make the decisions heís determined to make, understand the consequences and decide for himself that a better decision will produce a better outcome next time. Whoever said your job was done at 18?
Old 05-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #294
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you Terri, your words of wisdom and support mean so much to me
Old 05-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #295
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

How you doing Pal? Hope you had a nice weekend with your son.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #296
Big Yapper!!!!

Doing well it was an emotional weekend for sure. DH is pretty sick right now which is stressing us both out but eating is in check.

How are things with you?
Old 05-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #297
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sounds like a "the best thing you can say it's over" weekend. Been there, done that. Hope DH feels better soon, mine is the biggest baby when he's sick.

I've been experimenting with more carbs. I've been doing well with IE, having what satisfies me and then walking away. But tonight from some reason I have an insatiable appetite. Fortunately I don't have anything really bad in the house
Old 05-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #298
Big Yapper!!!!

IE sounds splendid! I have been eating what I want within reason and have dropped a couple of pounds. I Also started taking the chromium and an amino acid/5htp supp that was mentioned in a cravings thread and it really seems to help. I will think about carbs and even allow a few but don't go overboard. I hope it continues to help.

I am wiped out today, stayed up all night and ended up in the ER with DH. They finally admitted him at 7am. I came home and got 4 hours of sleep and will head back over to spend the day with him soon. They think he went into septic shock from cellulitis on his leg and also had a reaction to one of the meds he was on. He is so stubborn and didn't want to go to the ER, but I made him when he would stop breathing and then hyperventilate and was in so much pain from a headache he moaned in his sleep. Ugh

I am lucky that I am one that can't eat much when I am under this kind of stress thankfully. Living on my coffee though
Old 05-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #299
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh man what a night. I think Iíd be surviving on sugar if it was me.

Last night I was so hungry. I think I couldnít get the fact I had a trunk full of muffins to take to work today. Almost snuck one. Funny think is today I didnít even care about them. One thing for sure, as a rule carbs are not my friends, cravings, acid reflux, weight, etc. Why that continues to surprise me, Iíll never know. So they are moved back to special occasion status. At least the white flour a sugar type.

Hope DH is better today!!
Old 05-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #300
Big Yapper!!!!

Wow sadly I don't think carbs like me. I had a real chocolate shake today, not a good choice,but I am exhausted and wanted something quick. My BG went up to 207 at the 2 hr mark! I thought it was an error and tried again and still got 207. At three hours it was 145. I can't mess around with carbs apparently.