Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: chipmunkis
Stats: 180/ 135/ February 2014 restart: 161/151.8/ 135
WOE: ATKINS!
Start Date: restarting Feb. 3, 2014
Original DADR 72!

I was here for years (a few years ago), got down to my goal weight, and then left both the forum and the WOE for a variety of personal reasons...tried getting back to Atkins a couple of times, but used the DANDR version instead of the original (which had been what worked). Don't know why I changed things, but at any rate the whole "net carbs" and "LC products" just didn't work for me... AT ALL.

I tried switching to Weight Watchers, after a friend had great success with it, but I would have had to stop eating altogether to actually lost weight. Then I kind of gave up for a while (what I like to think of as my "temper tantrum"...everyone ELSE can eat this, why can't I???) which didn't work, either, obviously.

Anyhow, I am back now, starting tomorrow (unwell with the flu for the last couple of days) and back to DADR 72!!!!

Anyone want to join me?

Those we love never leave us but rather they live in our hearts forever ~msmoon~
(With love for mom, Kevin, Amma and Uncle Mike)

START TODAY. Do not wait until you feel better, or until the weather is nicer... Do it NOW. TODAY!
chipmunkis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #2

well, I guess I am the only one participating in my challenge ... LOL

I am still sick with the flu but managed some scrambled eggs earlier.... I did have some apple juice too, which is totally NOT LC, mainly because it seems to be one of the few things I can tolerate... As soon as I can, i will be fully on-plan... I feel a little better right now so will hopefully be ok by tomorrow...
Old 02-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #3

My journey...I LC'd for almost 5 years... then we had the year from hell... 5 people in our family died within a year, my DD went through some serious issues, I was injured, and I really just stopped caring about looking after myself. It wasn't that I couldn't keep doing LC because it was too difficult or because I missed any foods...I just didn't give a rats a$$...

When I tried again to lose weight eventually, I did it with an attitude..."why can't I just eat _____ like everyone else does?" instead of REALLY caring about my health and where I wanted to be.

I am back to caring, finally...it's taken a few years to get here, but I have no doubt that I will be successful and that, this time, I will not derail myself.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mcchimento
Stats: 261.8/232.0/150.0
WOE: Atkins with a Mediterranean/Paleo flair
Start Date: Everyday is a new day!
I don't actually follow DADR per se. This is what I follow and only count total carbs. So I guess I follow some aspects of it.

B- 2 eggs, 1 T. butter, 3 slices bacon
L- 3-4 oz meat, small salad of lettuce, cucumbers, sliced olives, olive oil and vinegar dressing
D- 3-4 oz. meat, 1 cup vegetables, 1 T. butter, 1 oz. cheese or another salad as above

Being menopausal, I keep my calories under 1500 calories.
mcchimento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
I'll join you. Not sure if I still have my 72 book, but I think it is basically meat, eggs, and two 1 cup salads a day??
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #6

NOTE* This is from the book, Bantam edition / September 1972 paperback...

Not sixty grams of carbohydrate on this diet but zero grams
Here’s how this diet is significantly different. During the first week on this diet, you cut your intake of carbohydrates down to what is biologically zero.
This creates a unique chemical situation in the body, the one favorable to the fastest possible burning of your body’s stored fat. Ketones are excreted, and hunger disappears.
You see, the first fuel your body burns for energy comes from the carbohydrates you eat and drink. If any carbohydrate is available, your body burns this rather than stored fat-and maintains its old metabolic pathways. But carbohydrates, as such, are not stored in the body beyond forty-eight hours.
So when no carbohydrate is taken in, your body must draw upon the major reserve source of fuel-the stored fat.
It is forced to take a different metabolic pathway. In this process your body converts from being a carbohydrate-burning engine.
This is The Diet Revolution: the new chemical situation in which ketones are being thrown off-and so are those unwanted pounds, all without hunger.
A gradual addition of carbohydrate to keep your body burning it’s fat as fuel. We must maintain this chemical situation if you’re to continue to lose without hunger. And if we add carbohydrate very gradually in tiny amounts-we can do just this… keep your body converted into a fat-burning engine.
So that is just what we do. The second week you might add a few grams of carbohydrate to your diet. Every week thereafter a little more carbohydrate (around five grams) may be returned to the diet.

The Rules of Original Atkins

The Diet Revolution Rules (Level One)
1. Don’t count calories
2. Eat as much of the allowed foods as you need to avoid hunger.
3. Don’t eat when you are not hungry.
4. Don’t feel you must finish everything on your plate just because it is there.
5. Drink as much water or calorie free beverages as thirst requires. Don’t restrict fluids… but it is not necessary to force them either.
6. Frequent small meals are preferable.
7. If weakness results from rapid weight loss, you may need salt.
8. Everyday take a high-strength multivitamin pill.
9. Read the labels on “low-calorie” drinks, syrups, desserts,. Only those with no carbohydrate content are allowed.

The First Life-Changing Week, eat nothing that is not on the list.
Meat: Steaks, Corned beef, Lamb chops, tongue, Hamburgers, Bacon, Any kind of meat in any quantity—except meat with fillers such as sausage, hot dogs, meatballs, most packaged “cold cuts”
Fowl: Duckling, Turkey, Chicken, Anything with wings, No stuffing
Desserts: Gelatin with artificial sweeteners (e.g., D-Zerta )
Condiments: Salt, pepper, mustard, horseradish, vinegar, vanilla, and other extracts; artificial sweeteners; any dry powdered spice that [I]contains no sugar
Drinks: Water, Mineral water, Vichy, Club soda; Beef or Chicken broth, bouillon; coffee*, tea, decaffeinated coffee
---------*Special note on caffeine Because most heavy people have some hypoglycemia, coffee, which contains caffeine, should be limited to six servings a day (cups). If you know you have low blood sugar, better limit it to three.
Fish: All fish, including canned salmon, tuna; any kind of seafood, including oil-packed and smoked, except oysters, clams, muscles, scallops, and pickled fish
Eggs: Boiled, fried, scrambled, poached, omelet – any style and without limitations
Salads: Two small green salads a day (each less than one cupful, loosely packed) made only of leafy greens, celery, or cucumbers and radishes. Dressings with vinegar, oil, salt, dry spices, herbs, grated cheese, or anchovies. Or else a sour pickle in place of a salad. Plus… green olives.
Butter & Mayonnaise Fats: Butter, margarine (head New Diet Revolution & eat no margarine with trans fatty acids), oils, shortening (not such a great idea), lard & mayonnaise (fats have no carbohydrates).
Juice: Juice of one lemon or lime
Cheese: Four ounces a day of any hard aged cheese. No cream cheese or cheese spreads.
Heavy Cream: Four teaspoons a day. (Cream has less carbohydrate than milk – so don’t use milk)
Diet Revolution Salad Material: Celery, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage, Chives, Cucumber, Endive, Escarole, Fennel, lettuce, Olives (Green or Black), Onions, Pickles (Sour or Dill), Parsley, Peppers, Radishes, Scallions, watercress.
What Happens After The First Week’s Diet. Most diets are fixed formulas and are therefore short-termed and self-limiting. This diet is fixed only for a week. After that – because it must be a lifetime diet, it is, as variable as are individual tastes.
I’ve labeled the additions of carbohydrate that follow’ second level’, ‘third level’, ‘fourth level’, ‘fifth level’, but in fact the additions are interchangeable and flexible. You can make any of these additions any week that you choose. I am so committed to making this a livable lifetime diet that I am letting you select your own variations, within the rules set up by your biological rulebook.
Put back what you’ve missed the most: The idea is simply to gradually return to your diet first what you missed most. Custom-tailor the diet to suit your carbohydrate additions to suit your lifestyle. All that matters is that you add back to your diet a little carbohydrate at a time, and that you stop adding carbohydrate when you reach your CCL.
How to know when to put back a little carbohydrate: Ask yourself: Are the keto-stix still turning purple? Am I still un-hungry? Have I stopped eating at night? Do I have more energy? Am I still losing weight or inches nicely? Remember, your tape measure is a lot better friend than your scale, not only more accurate, but better able to report on the actual fat (not just temporary water) losses this diet achieves.
The Second Level: Cheesecake for dessert? At each level, remember you add approximately five to eight grams of carbohydrate daily for a week and analyze the results. Most people agree the best way to handle the second level is to add cottage cheese…
The Diet Revolution Vegetables (not for level one): All of the above plus; Asparagus, Avocado, Bamboo Shoots, Bean Sprouts, Beet Greens, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Chard, Chinese Cabbage, eggplant, Kale, Kohlrabi, Mushrooms, Okra, Onions, Peppers, Pumpkins, Rhubarb, Sauerkraut, Snow Pea Pods, Spinach, String Beans, Summer Squash, Tomatoes, Turnips, Water Chestnuts, Wax Beans, Zucchini Squash

Sample menu, level one:
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with spicy ham, Diet revolution roll and butter, Bouillon, coffee, or tea
Lunch: Cold cuts sandwich on Diet revolution Roll w/ mayo or mustard, 1 cup of salad (loosely packed), oil & vinegar, or a dressing from the recipe list, Raspberry gelatin, coffee, or tea
Dinner: Chicken soup with Matzoh Balls, Your favorite cut of steak, Caesar salad with Caesar Salad dressing, Gelatin, coffee or tea
Snack: baken-ets, stuffed celery,

Sample menu, level two:
Breakfast: Lox and stuffed onion omelet, caraway Diet revolution Roll with cream cheese, Bouillon, coffee, or tea
Lunch: Avocado stuffed with crabmeat, Tossed green salad with dressing from recipe list, coffee, or tea
Dinner: Mixed grill with garlic Butter Sauce or Béarnaise Sauce, Tossed salad with French Dressing, Gelatin Parfait with whipped cream, coffee, or tea
Snack: Assorted smoked fish, Hard cheese
Old 02-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #7

both of you! we can do this!
Old 02-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for the overview! Did my grocery shopping after work tonight and am ready to get to it!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #9

Yay!

Glad the overview helped. I am SO on track today and avoided a couple of "temptations"...someone at work made banana bread (I've had it before from her and it's fabulous!) and I left it alone, someone else offered me another treat later and I said "No thanks..." and realized afterward that I hadn't even been tempted to say yes! WOOHOOO!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #10

made myself some of the good doctors bacon/ cheese balls... yummmm..... forgot how much I enjoyed these!
Old 02-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FattyBoBatty
Stats: 250.4/224/150 (5'4")
WOE: South Beachin' Atkins
Start Date: January 6, 2014
That recap post was a good help. It's primarily what I eat now and I have the new books. I would like to join in on the fun with you, chipmunkis!

How did you make the bacon cheeseballs? What tips do you have in this WOE for a returning newbie?
FattyBoBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Fasted 24 hours today to get me on track. Chicken, cheddar cheese, bacon and pork rinds for dinner. Not really all that tasty, but I was hungry and just started throwing stuff in a bowl and heating it up

How is it going everyone?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

I'm doing well. Though I knocked myself out of Ketosis, trying to figure out how with my daily menu. I'm thinkin' I drank regular Coke instead of Diet Coke at lunch today. For some reason, I can't tell them apart.

I'm thinking it'll be easier for me to make mini-quiches to eat throughout the day versus having to spend time grilling and the like. I feel like I'm in a stall this week, yet my stomach feels like there is less there.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #14

Bacon Cheese balls

Bacon and Cheese Balls

2 Tbs. grated cheddar cheese
1/2 Tbs. mayo or mild mustard
3 crisp slices of bacon, crumbled

Blend grated cheese well with the mayo or mustard. Shape into balls, and roll in the crushed bacon.

Total grams - 1.4

I tend to play with this... 1 cup of grated cheese, a bit less than 1/4 cup mayo, a few squirts mustard, bacon to suit my tastes, then I mix it all together...rather than rolling in the bacon. Then I make the balls, stick 'em in the fridge 'til hardened, put them in a container and just grab a few out of the fridge as a quick snack.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

I'll have to try that! They sound like a good snack. Thanks tons, chipmunkis! How have you been doing lately?
Old 02-06-2014, 11:55 PM   #16

Doing good! I am finding it really easy to "eat right"...making sure I have snacks in form of cheese balls and boiled eggs. Ate a salad earlier with bacon, boiled egg, cheese and oil & vinegar dressing, was yummy!
Now, the only thing I have to do is get back to working out... I tore the ligaments in my ankle REALLY badly, and damaged the bone, about 6 months ago, and it hasn't healed properly, so I am having trouble being as active as I'd like to. Even walking can be painful still, so any serious exercise is on hold.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #17

I think the thing that worked for me best when I did this in the past was to not mess around...no "products" (I'd rather make my own treats) and no "tweaking" just sticking to the plan the ways it was written. I don't do net carbs; to me, it complicates things and I don't like complicated!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

I think that's the thing with me. I'm going to give up the Atkins and Sugar Free products. I'm going to have to stick to Whipped Cream and Sugar Free Jell-O if I get an insane craving for sweets during TMO. I was reading some of the info you've posted and also some other sites and noticed that doing that whole Net Carbs thing is almost like cheating when being confronted with the whole Carbs count. If I'm going to add something sweet to my WOE, it best be a cold mango or watermelon slice. Those I do miss quite a bit.
March 6, 2014 -- 231.0
April 6, 2014 -- ???.?
Goal: June 1st -- 200lbs
Old 02-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #19

I find a little cream cheese, sweetened with blueberries or even just a little splenda or other sweetener ( I prefer stevia or agave) is good for a quick sweet tooth "fix" , and I also like to make (haven't made it yet since restarting) my LC freezer fudge:

1.5 c unsalted butter
1.5 cups cocoa
3.5 c powdered Splenda
1.5 cups whipping cream
4 tsp vanilla

Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. mix splenda and cocoa together, then stir slowly with a whisk into butter once it's fully melted. continue stirring about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, blend in cream and vanilla and whisk until well blended.
Pour into greased 9x13 pan, put into freezer until almost solid, cut into bite sized pieces and put back in freezer until solid.

I always put the frozen pieces into a container in the freezer and just take out a piece of two when in need of a sweet fix... Low carb and easy to make!
Old 02-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #20

and I'll take a quarter cup of frozen blueberries and eat them as a treat too...they're great frozen!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #21

Had a hb egg with mayo and some bacon cheeseballs for breakfast.... watching the Olympics so will eat more later
Old 02-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #22

another successful day behind me yesterday, and on track for success today!
Old 02-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Is that freezer fudge almost like a Hershey's bar? I need to most definitely try that recipe! I've been doing really well with the sugar free Jell-O and whipped cream. I've been looking at the Atkins '72 items that can be eaten and trying to figure out different recipes from just those ingredients.

For breakfast today, I made "Huevos Ahogados", which means "Drowned Eggs".

8 cups of water
10 sprigs of Epazote (can use Escarole, Spinach or any other green herb/veggie)
3 Knorr chicken boullion cubes
4 eggs, scrambled in a bowl with 2 tbs of heavy cream, then 4 thin omelettes made from it, sliced in quarters.
2 tbs of chili powder
2 tsp of garlic powder
1 very small white onion, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, chopped

Get everything but the eggs to boiling in a pot, then add the omelette slices to the pot and simmer for about 10 minutes. Serves about 6 bowls. 3 carbs each.

I used a recipe maker on a website I use to post my food diary on and for some reason a lot of those ingredients have higher carb counts than the Atkins carb counter booklet.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #24

That sounds interesting! Might have to try it!

I made a very good crab-stuffed chicken breast the other night... with cream cheese, crab meat, hot sauce all mixed together and rolled up in a flattened chicken breast and baked... SO good!! and only 2 carbs per breast!
Old 02-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

That sounds really delicious! Will add that one too.
I hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day, chimpunkis, and a great weekend, my friend!
Old 02-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #26

Thanks and same to you! I spent the evening at basketball with my son...he plays wheelchair basketball and is playing in the BC Winter Games starting on the 20th, so it's a hectic time right now!
Old 02-18-2014, 12:03 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: easwann
Stats: was 240lbs am 198 lbs
WOE: Peace, meat, water, and eggs!
Start Date: learning everyday
Hello!! I would love to be in this group with you.. I have regained 20 of the 60 lbs I had lost and I think a lot had to do with straying from A '72 and reading and trying all of the different 'opinions' more fat, watching calories, net carbs. Grrrrr!! I believe A '72 is the cleanest way to eat, and actually so much simpler than all the percentages and extra tweaks people are doing. It worked so well for me I am back at it.

Anyone here? Or anyone else in the same boat?
easwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #28

Welcome! I agree that '72 is the best...I think it's just too easy to get off track when it gets complicated!

Stick with us...we'll get the weight off and feel GOOD!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:34 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/129.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I follow 72 and find it works the best and is so easy to follow!
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: easwann
Stats: was 240lbs am 198 lbs
WOE: Peace, meat, water, and eggs!
Start Date: learning everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunkis View Post
Welcome! I agree that '72 is the best...I think it's just too easy to get off track when it gets complicated!

Stick with us...we'll get the weight off and feel GOOD!

Thanks Chipmunkis!! Yup, back at it since monday and down 6 lbs in 3 days.. gotta love Dr. Atkins! Amazing how people snub their nose at the original plan.. I'm sure it's because they like the net carbs.. it gives them more. It gives me cravings and weight gain! LOLOL

Have a great day!
easwann is offline   Reply With Quote