Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kellydawne
Good morning-
I haven't really been on the computer since Friday. I have some water polo stuff that needs my attention (computer/phone) today. UGH!

DS20 told me yesterday he ordered test prep materials for the LSAT after talking to his new favorite professor. He told me this teacher and his advisor suggested strongly beginning test prep now unless he planned to take a gap year to study for law school entrance exams. He wants to push through because he thinks it would be hard to go back if he took a year off between undergrad/law school.

I know I need my sleep! I have horrible cravings for sweets/starchy stuff if I don't get enough sleep and I get bloated too.

Debbie, housing is super expensive here, it gets cheaper as you move away from the water, but even a one bedroom isn't affordable without room mates without a decent salary. Of course, our minimum wage is higher but still it's really expensive! (DS20 makes over $11/hour as a lifeguard and when he's the "lead guard" its just over $16/hour)
Sometimes I really think the biggest disadvantage for kids from lower socio-economic brackets is just not having connections to find better jobs. So much in life comes to us because of family/friends/friends of friends...

MK, men! We won't go out for V-Day, we rarely do. We have so many options though that it is easier to find someplace to go. The summer here is when its almost impossible to go out to eat.
(I recognized the back of your cute top in the video)

Cindy, I hope everything went okay with their IL conversation. I'm sure this is helping them count down the days until they can be out of there!

Becky, Jenn, Kaye, I'm going to quit procrastinating and make those phone calls and open my email.
kellydawne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #62
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Hi!

DH and I went out to dinner tonight AND he managed to get a reservation at the new place I wanted to go to on Saturday night!!!!
It's at 6:00, so kink of early, but I've really been wanting to try it!

Yay!

I'm still afraid he's going to feel nauseous, but I guess we'll deal with that on Saturday night!

You recognized me! Yay! LOL!
TuscanGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:09 AM   #63
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
Morning!

I like the FB thing too, but with working all day, all week, the only time I can really connect is on the weekends, and no one around much then. We could post more on our Shorties page on FB so it's not too many places......as Debbie said, I will still come here, I can't keep up with messaging on FB during the week, so I guess if you want to know what's going on with me, you'll have to pop in here!

DD has been communicating with new boss - they are so excited for her to start. Apartment is ready and they are using it right now for showings. DSIL is having issues with his bands, so it looks like that may be ending sooner rather than later. DD has been giving me bits and pieces of conversation with IL's from Sunday - those people are whacked! I still do not understand how they think any of this is any of their business.

Well, remember the young gal that is our lead at work,that I struggle with on occassion - especially with her management and communication skills? Well - as of Monday, she is my new boss! My boss has been wearing two hats, our dept and a special project. She is going to be working on the special project full time till the end of June, and at that time they are hoping she will remain on the project for another year through a grant.....and in the meantime are putting if for the position to be regular, full time. SO - they have slid our lead into the supervisor position of our department. She is really a sweetheart, but has a lot to learn at her young age. My "old" boss and I had a conversation last night since I was there late, and she said even she worries about her taking on this position as she hasn't had the time to develop the thick skin, the confidence to say no, and a few other things. There will be a few good things that could come out of it: I could get more responsibility.....which I want. This is going to be very interesting. Another added stressor to my life. ugh.

MK - hope chemo goes well for DH on Friday.

We don't do anything for Vday either. I'd rather do for the kids anyway, and to DH, it's just another day.

Off to work, dental appt mid morning too.....

•○•
"It is what it is."
•○•
Radmom413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:09 AM   #64
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debbiedo
Stats: pretty close to perfect!
WOE: mindful eating/running off the pounds
Start Date: over and over again
I work V Day. Dinner out Saturday night just happens to be day after V Day.

Lazy morning as I slept poorly. So did DH.

He will work from home tomorrow. They say we could get biggest storm in years. Somewhere around 9 inches expected here. More to west and north.
debbiedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:39 AM   #65
Princess Proofreader

Morning!

Debbie - looks like scary stuff headed your way and to the south!!

Cindy - wasn't it your idea to post on FB! Just sayin'!

I hope the young thing works out! I think they should have given the promotion to you!
Old 02-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #66
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Rebecca130
Stats: 201/ 183/130
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Jan 23, 2008
Hello girls. Tried to catch up on things here. Cindy, I hope everything calms down in your life soon. Sooner than soon!

Taking mom to lunch. I have to be back at Kim's no later than 430 as there are more issues with brad and his mama picking up and such. This is more stress that I don't need but there's no getting around it as long as the girls are under age. Some people just don't want to play by the rules!!!

I will be making veggie soup sometime tonigjt when I get home from Kim's.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #67

Making white bean chicken chili. Got lazy and put in late and recipe says 8 hours in crockpot on low. That seems long.

Weight down to almost new low. Was 2-3 pounds less 7 years ago. Adding calories and maintenance is 1650.

Thinking of making BLts and tomato soup if chili not done by dinner.

Off to gym.

Sorry about Brad drama Becky.

Can I get your vegetable soup recipe please?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #68
Big Yapper!!!!

Oooooo. So excited. The shorties thread popped up in my email for the first time since December. Maybe there's hope for it yet!!!

Never had white chili but would love to try it
Rebecca130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Catching up with my friends both places. DS16 brought a friend home from school to avoid hw. It's okay though because he doesn't have a last period and he spent that time with his math teacher going through the math assignment for tonight, so I think all he has left is a little Spanish that isn't due until midnight tomorrow. (its an online thing due every Thursday by midnight)

DH's car went to have his seats redone so he has my car. I had to drive up to meet him this morning to pick him up where he dropped it off. Since we have older cars there are a few odds and ends that were needing attention in both of them. I'm glad they're getting fixed, but I'll be happy to have a car back all the time. Mine still needs the convertible top fixed but we're still waiting on hard to find parts for the first part of that fix.

Cindy, I'm sure your DD and her DH will be so happy to have this move behind them! In the meantime, tell them to hang tough and stand their ground. We put our foot down on visiting and told them we wouldn't allow them to upset the boys, so the topic was off limits with the kids around. We also told them if they were going to be ugly we wouldn't come unless it was a big family gathering so there wouldn't be the opportunity to have the conversation. My uncle talked to my mom so many times and I really think his perspective helped her too!

I hope the new boss works out! Hopefully, she'll grow into her new role quickly!

Debbie, I have dinner in the crockpot too. I was at the last step when I realized I didn't have paprika for my goulash, so I had to make a quick stop at the store.

Becky, Poor girls! It's a shame that the adults can't act like, well, adults!

MK, YEAH on the dinner reservations! Early might be better post chemo anyway. I love trying new places!
Old 02-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #70

Waiting for the snow.

DS31's flight canceled and every flight out Friday booked.

DS29 moving Saturday. Things should be OK by then.

Our street won't get plowed till Friday. I hope we get the low side of snow predicted 6-8 inches.

My chili isn't white. It is still red chili. It has white beans and cubed chicken, diced tomatoes( I used fire roasted), tomato paste, chicken broth,chili powder,cumin,cayenne pepper,red pepper flakes,onion,garlic,salt and pepper.

I have many calories left. More because of my workout so will increase rice and portion size some.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:14 AM   #71
Queen Bargain Shopper

Morning!

Yes, MK it was my idea to post on FB, but no one is "posting" . I can't join in on the messaging conversation during the day, and night time is rare, and most of you aren't on then anyway. We have too many places, so my thoughts are we decide on where and eliminate the others. I guess we could use the FB page to share info we can't here.

No, I wouldn't have gotten the promotion - she has been our lead, and they are grooming her......she has a master's and is young......my hope is that if they decide to replace our lead on our team, I would get it. I am the go to across the college for many folks, so am hoping that may work in my favor, plus have been around a long time .

We will find out results of biopsy in about a week.

Off to work, meeting with college social media guy so I can become better for our division , Valentine's lunch at work, meeting with the trainer and also meeting friend for coffee at 7 before work...............and I better get going!
Old 02-13-2014, 07:16 AM   #72
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm on fb almost constantly, Cindy. Too much actually and I was lost when they locked me out last Friday!!! I love the fb postings. I'm on there more than LCF. I was just easily able to get into the shorties yesterday without having to go through Dec and then Jan. I hate to do it through the general website!!!
Old 02-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just popping in here too. I walked with friends this morning, my eating is mostly good and even though I still have some TOM bloat the scale gave me a number I haven't seen in quite a while!

I'm trying to decide if I want to go to the girls water polo game in a little bit. It should be a really good game. They are having a phenomenal season and I haven't really been to many games. Decisions, decisions... (of course, DS16 is going)
Old 02-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #74
Princess Proofreader

Our snow is melting! Happy dance!

So as the temps rise - more snow!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:25 AM   #75
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
Popping in!

It's been such a busy, crazy two weeks for me as I haven't been home much and when I am home I want to do more than just sit on the computer

Can't wait to get back to my regular routine next week!

Valentine's Day is my least favorite holiday and DH and I don't do anything, but I try and make it special for the kids.

Be back later!
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:44 AM   #76

No plows here yet.

A women I work with was plowed but can't get in to my house so I will be walking to the closest road that is plowed. She works till 11. If we don't get plowed today I am stuck till then.

Up already. Going to go exercise. Missed my run yesterday but shovelled some. I couldn't lift much show because it was heavy.

DS29 moving tomorrow. They have the keys so can bring things over today after work. They can't get in here to get furnature and boxes out of basement until it is plowed. Maybe by tomorrow but with 20 inches of snow it can take another day or two to do our road. We are a dead end and they do through roads first. They haven't even done that.

Federal gov on two hour delay but people can take leave or telecommute.

What makes it worse is rain fell then it snowed and got cold so everything is icy.
Work will be horrible with injuries I am sure.last night my husband was listening to police radio and ambulances needed plows to come to get to people calling.

TV saying it is icy but should melt around noon. More accumulating snow coming tomorrow.

Jenn, glad it is going to settle down for you.

4 days till I go away. Good thing not today or we couldn't get out.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:24 AM   #77
Queen Bargain Shopper

It was awful here last night.
And more snow on the way next week and it could be a big storm.
Are you freaking kidding me?

Had a great meeting with the trainer. We implemented a plan that I will start this weekend. Need to pick up some resistance bands. She said make sure to get the ones with handles, lol. Already do about 20bike/20treadmill, so she wants me to add 20 of strength, alternating upper and lower body. She said I don't need to take a day off, lol, but certainly can if I would like just as a reward. I will check back in with her in about 3 weeks. She measured me too, so we can see if there is any loss that way. She asked if I thought this was doable, and I said, well, I have about 3/4 of it down, just need to add that last part!

No plans for Vday - I told DH I wasn't cooking - I cook all week and need a day off. I usually do something for the girls, but didn't do anything yet. DD24 will be home again tomorrow for DH's sisters birthday......she said one thing she will not miss when she moves - having to come home for EVERY occassion that DH's family celebrates! If DD26 feels better, maybe I will invite them over for dinner.

Have a good Friday, ladies!
Old 02-14-2014, 04:42 AM   #78
Big Yapper!!!!

I have CPR training tomorrow from 9-1 or maybe 9-12. Next Saturday communicable disease. I need first aid and child abuse and my medical and then I'm done with that part. Ugh! I hate the training for my job when I make so very little money. I cannot wait to retire!!!
Old 02-14-2014, 04:44 AM   #79
Big Yapper!!!!

I do valentines day but that's because I'm the one that likes to do it. John will probably get flowers or suggest dinner but I'm doing well on my diet and don't really want to go out right now. Flowers die but he gets so excited that I don't want to discourage him. I got my first valentine from Gracie on Wednesday. :-D. That's the stuff I love! They will have a big laugh about the stuff that I have in my cedar chest when I die!!!
Old 02-14-2014, 05:01 AM   #80

We give each other cards.

I hate all the training I need every year. I have CPR,Pediatric Life Support or PALS this year plus another 5 hours cardiac and more stroke plus online training,staff meetings monthly and a new team building class that is 3 hours.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #81
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
Kids loved their Valentine stuff...made me happy!

DH isn't home yet, so I'm not sure what we are doing, but the kids just left to have supper with IL's.
handbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My very "romantic" Valentine's day plans are to binge watch House of Cards 2. I am trying really hard to wait for DH so we can watch together though.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #83
Princess Proofreader

Old 02-15-2014, 01:14 AM   #84

Can't sleep. Trying to run trails today. I think we should stick to roads. Guess I will see what others plan.

DS29 moving. I will probably go there for a while to help unpack.

It is supposed to snow a few inches.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:18 AM   #85
Queen Bargain Shopper

We are expecting ANOTHER storm - Monday - not sure when.
Seriously?

All we did was order chinese. I did get DH a new otterbox phone cover for his new iphone 5s. I was sort of disappointed he didn't do anything other than a card. But I guess it's not that big of a deal.

Kelly - we are watching season one of House of Cards! Also watching Nashville.

DD24 home today for DSIL's sister's birthday (brunch tomorrow) so we are all having dinner together here tonight - probably the last time before she moves.

Off to the grocery store, then home to work out.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #86
Princess Proofreader

Morning!

Cindy - just keep thinking about your trip to FL soon!
And the fact you can go next winter when it's snowing!

I like Nashville!! And want to start Season 2 of House of Cards! I really liked Season 1.

I think our snow is over for a while - but who knows!

DH fell asleep early last night and I made myself some chili and finished this season of Sherlock. He did get me some sleep socks, a teddy bear with a heart, a card and some Illini earrings . . . we don't usually do much for VD.

Would you believe when I finished my pedicure yesterday, the tech said my bill plus a generous tip had already been taken care of!!!! Someone - she wouldn't tell me who - had come into the shop earlier in the week and paid for my pedi plus a generous tip!

*Feeling very loved!*

Debbie - how was the fun?

Kelly - I REALLY want to ask you how the weather is . . . bt I don't want to hate you, so . . . we got another 5 inches yesterday, on top of the 8" from 3 days ago . . .

Jenn - life calmer yet?

Becky - show up occasionally!

Circles of fashion are more like spirals, covering the same area but never arriving in the same place twice!

°°◊°°
Old 02-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #87

Ran 7 miles. The trail part was snow covered so really had to lift legs. Walked a lot. 5 miles trails. 2.2 or so road. The road back giant hill. It was fun and hard and took over double time of a normal run.

Movers will be here soon. They have furnature in my basement. Then we head over to new home. I think her dad is here too.

I need a pedi so bad. Thinking of going now and not being here for moving stuff out of my house.

DH still doesn't know what time our dinner reservations are for tonight. No one has answered his email. I told him to call.

MK, what a nice thing someone did for you!!

No V Day gifts here. We are going away.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #88
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: ShortKayke
Stats: (High 165) 135/115/105 4'10"
WOE: My Atkins
Start Date: 10/03 on and off when jeans get tight!
Go go go! Quiet morning and a chance to catch up with my favorite short ladies!

Hope everyone had a nice Valentine's day. A quiet dinner here of steaks grilled on the BBQ I fixed this week since the element rusted out!

MK, hugs and prayers for your DH's treatment, I hope he doesn't feel too icky for your dinner tonight.

Cindy, so sorry about DSIL and his unsupportive family. Young people HAVE to go where the jobs are. My DD is in animation and the midwest is not the place to find work for that. I hope they realize family is forever. Thank goodness for this day and age of Skype and the internet, almost as good as being there!

Deb, been watching the weather and seeing you get hit this past week. Hope the roads are good for you today.

Kelly, a house full of boys as usual! I hope you and Deb can visit when she's there.

Becky, You do have lots of training expected considering how unappreciated day care is. A job that SHOULD pay so much more!

Jenn, Kids your ages are always so busy..school, scouts, parties, assemblies...doesn't stop!

Where to start with me...
Was super busy making sure everything was taken care of before DH and I left for our Wed-Sun Florida trip 2 weeks ago. Hoping the roads stayed clear so we could get to the airport in Detroit.
Grateful all of our travels to/from airports, our flights, and rental car driving around Florida went safely, on schedule, and without a hitch.
BUT, we've had better 'vacations' It rained, no, POURED all 5 days, never saw the sun once. Well it came out as we were literally boarding the plane home. At least it wasn't -23 but was still wet and chilly in the 50s.

We knew it would be primarily a 'family visit' trip so were prepared for that. His 2 brothers and 2 sisters all live down there now. 3 of them in the same 55+ community. Our visit was the first time the 3 had spoken in a long time. They live a street away but have been feuding about leadership of the Homeowners Association. We stayed a night at each place so no one would feel slighted and was surprised when they all got together for dinner for our visit. Hoping it mended some fences (or made it worse!). Could have been "Oh, I guess she's not so bad" or "Now I remember why we don't talk to her!"
It's difficult to be a guest in someone's home, especially when tensions are high. We were flying so I didn't have any of my 'stuff', and in 3 different houses where I don't know where anything is.

PSA: If you're going to have house guests, know your wifi password.

Now for the best part. An hour before we leave for the airport at like 2 am Wed., I feel a 'tingle' under my back lower tooth. 3+ years ago I had an issue with a little 'gap' under the root that can let bacteria in and knew it could happen again. Hoping that wasn't it, but grabbed my emergency antibiotics and off to the airport we go.
Within 6 hours my lower jaw, chin and neck on one side are swelled to the size of a baseball. I already started antibiotics 'just in case' so was already treating it, but had to run it's course. Something about stress lowering your immune response?

So, here I am, stuck at DH's insane siblings, walking a diplomatic fine line because they all hate eachother, without my 'stuff', no internet, pouring rain every day, in pain and eating ibuprofen like candy and looking like the Elephant Man. Hurts to swallow, chew and talk and all activities are centered around meals. I try to stay quiet and polite so I don't 'ruin' the trip.

Thank goodness we got a rental car, gave us a little freedom. They 'upgraded' us to a Nissan Cube, so we drove a toaster. Ridiculous looking. We did sneak off to shop at Disney Marketplace (in the pouring rain) and looked at some neighborhoods to get an idea of where we like if we end up moving down there. All DH said was 'Well, I know where NOT to live" (meaning the same park as his siblings! LOL )

So we've had better 'vacations' but we got there and back safely and the girls took great care of everything here while we were gone.
Come back to more snow and bitter temps every day last week. Shovel and plow every day and had to jump back into work to make up for the days I was away. Was pretty whacked out.

Still tired this week, but had to tackle the taxes that I had put off before we went. Took 3 times longer then usual as the software seemed to think I owed city tax because my company is based there even though I don't live or work there. Took some time to fix that. Then had to do both the girls taxes...so a week's worth of headaches doing that.

Needless to say, watching what I eat has been a low priority. Up to about 123, but not too far gone IF I get back on the wagon. Soon. So many clothes I can't wear right now.

That took a while to write! Must be nap time! Things should be calmer around here now. I hope.
Hugs all around to you awesome ladies.
ShortKayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kaye, it's always so nice to "see" you!

We went to a Korean BBQ place for lunch today & DS16 & I went way out of our food comfort zone. We had "spicy pig trotters". (so yes pigs feet). It was actually really good, but I ate some of the sticky rice because yikes it was HOT!!!

Debbie, let me know if you have any free time when you're here. It would be fun to get together again!
Your run looked really fun this morning!

MK, that's so sweet at the pedi salon!
I won't share my weather other than we really need rain!

Cindy, we didn't do anything at all for V-day.
I started watching Rake this afternoon. I'll let you know what I think

Jenn, how was the archery tournament? How was your weekend?

Kaye, does your DD have a plan to start an animation career? A friend's DD works for a Japanese gaming company & she mentioned a couple of schools to look at for DS16. Both schools are in Florida, one is Full Sail, the other is Ringling Bros.
Sorry your vacation was lousy! Hope your tooth is feeling better!
Old 02-16-2014, 07:00 AM   #90
Big Yapper!!!!

Just took our camper home and stopped at Starbucks. Mmmmmm. Love their plain ice coffee!

Suppose to a he freezing rain tomorrow and Tuesday. PDD is tomorrow at work. I hate those!!!! I hate not getting off at my normal time (early morning) whereas to everyone else, getting off at 330 is early for them.