Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Challenges! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/)
-   -   Spring Fling (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-challenges/820467-spring-fling.html)

misscobi 01-07-2014 09:29 AM

Spring Fling

:welcome: to the Spring Fling Challenge! This is a continuation of the http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...challenge.html and many seasonal challenges before, but newcomers are always welcome! The challenge will end on the first day of spring, March 20, 2014.

Let's fling those pounds, too big clothes, and winter doldrums!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...MRIEfD8K270HsA

lynne2u 01-07-2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misscobi (Post 16745859)
:welcome: to the Spring Fling Challenge! This is a continuation of the http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...challenge.html and many seasonal challenges before, but newcomers are always welcome! The challenge will end on the first day of spring, March 20, 2014.

Let's fling those pounds, too big clothes, and winter doldrums!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...MRIEfD8K270HsA

Yay!! Nicely done, Tami! :high5:

I'm back in the crockpot for this challenge. Well...crockpot sounds like somebody's getting cooked. I'm going to think of it as my countertop hot tub.:rofl: 500/2000 for the duration, no tweaks.

I didn't weigh this morning, so I'll check back in tomorrow with that. Couldn't be good. :eek:

Onward and upward!! To Spring!!

Lynne

misscobi 01-07-2014 09:49 AM

Hi ladies! I'm really looking forward to getting back in touch with all of you and seeing all of us reach some nice goals this challenge! Man, and who isn't ready for spring already? Can't wait!

I like to include my previous challenge stats at the start of each new challenge so that I can remind myself of how far I've come and how I've faltered. Seems faltering has been my MO as of late. I'm really ready to change that for spring and can't wait to see a new low!
Summer Challenge 270/238/220
Autumn Challenge 238/220/199
End of the World 220/208/199
Swing Into Spring 208/194/199
Slimmer by Summer Challenge 194/188/180
Awesome by Autumn Challenge 188/189/178
Sexier for Santa Challenge 187/184/175 (199 by Jan 5 :( )

So how is everyone? Everyone staying warm & dry?

DH and I managed to catch that cold/flu that's going around. It's awful. Hubby actually went into urgent care last Thursday and tested negative for influenza, so doc prescribed some antibiotics thinking DH had a secondary infection of some sort coming on strong. Since then my typical head/chest cold symptoms have morphed into whatever he has, so I'm really doubting it's anything secondary. We've had a few friends fight with a viral something or other that seems very similar. If things aren't better in a few days we'll head to the Dr. again, but I'm just trying to get through and see how it goes for now. I'm living on Advil round the clock to keep my fever in check. Not fun, but it does help. I wasn't able to sleep night before last or the night before that, but last night I figured out that when I wake up sweating like a pig, to get up, take some advil, get chilled & shivering, then curl up in my warm blankets and go to sleep - repeat every few hours. lol. It worked. lol My mom and sister started the fun and until yesterday when I got hit really hard I figured we all had the same thing. Now I'm wondering... and PRAYING :aprayer: the baby doesn't get as bad as DH and I have been :(

I'm back on low carb as of yesterday. I don't have much appetite with this cold, so that's helping, but last night was rough... low carb food just isn't sicko comfort food in my book. I had 4 plain wings with some butter and a low carb ice cream bar. Not ideal, but considering it's all I ate yesterday it's probably fine. Today should be better as I'm home all day. I had made hb eggs to take with me to babysit my nephew yesterday & then forgot them. Sigh. So I have those & some other low carb stuff that I can munch on here today.

misscobi 01-07-2014 09:54 AM

Thanks Lynne. You nailed the name. I think it's perfect! So what kinds of things will you be making in your crockpot... er countertop hot tub? lol Seems I get stuck on chicken broth and don't venture out from there.

lynne2u 01-07-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misscobi (Post 16745909)
Thanks Lynne. You nailed the name. I think it's perfect! So what kinds of things will you be making in your crockpot... er countertop hot tub? lol Seems I get stuck on chicken broth and don't venture out from there.

I'm not making anything in the crockpot, I'm doing JUDDD 500/2000 and "setting it and forgetting it" like a crockpot.:)

But now that you mention it? I have an idea for lc comfort food in a crockpot. From "Low Carb Slow Cooker" by Kitty Broihier

Thai Red Curry Chicken

Ingredients:

1 tbsp plus 1 tsp red curry paste
1/4 c chicken broth
1 14 oz can regular (not lite) coconut milk
3 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp granular splenda
2 pounds dark meat chicken, not cooked, cut into bite size pieces
1 onion
1 8 oz can of bamboo shoots, drained
1/2 head fresh cauliflower florets (2 cups)
3/4 pound fresh green beans (4 cups)
2 tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil leaves (optional)

Directions:

Put the curry paste, chicken broth, coconut milk, fish sauce, and splenda in the crockpot and whisk it up. This will be the sauce.

Then put the chicken, onion, bamboo shoots, and cauli in the sauce and stir them up a bit to coat.

Put the green beans on top.

Turn the crockpot on low and leave it for 8 hours.

Stir in the beans and the basil leaves at the last minute.

Voila!!

Note: I made this without the green beans. I don't know how they hold up to 8 hours of crockpottery, but was not hopeful so omitted them.

It ends up being this nice, creamy soupy thing. Not really 'red' at all.

I hope you feel better soon Tami!

Lynne

Lize636 01-07-2014 10:22 AM

I am finally back at it as of yesterday!! Sorry I have been MIA off eating my way through the holidays.

So for now it's counting calories 1200-1400 a day......Last time I got on the scale it said 185.......

185/185/165

Lize636 01-07-2014 10:30 AM

Tami- Hope you and the hubs are feeling better soon.

Lynne- Sounds pretty good and easy to make.

It is freezing here in MD it was 7 degrees out on my way into work. Not something we are used to here. Hope everyone else is staying warm.

misscobi 01-07-2014 10:32 AM

Interesting, Lynne! That recipe sounds yummy! Sorry I totally missed your set & forget it reference! Can I blame the fever? lol Speaking of which, thank you for the well wishes, too!

Liz, eating my way through the holidays sounds strangely familiar. Oh well, we're back to it and will make some headway on those holiday pounds.

misscobi 01-07-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lize636 (Post 16745967)
Tami- Hope you and the hubs are feeling better soon.

Thank you Liz! Stay warm out there. I think most of California would shrivel up & die with those temps!

zipp2play 01-08-2014 07:02 AM

I'm in! I won't be getting on the scale again until at the earliest next week! I'm just too scared. I follow JUDDD! As of right now, I am back to every other day rotations. My calories will be 500-700/1900. Yesterday was my first DD since 12/19! Man it was rough. Closer to 800c, but I call that a WIN! We have even planned our meals for tonight and Friday! That really helps!

Today:
B eggs/toast
S protein granola
L salad with chicken/cottage cheese/dried raspberries
D chili , maybe corn bread too, not sure

The cruise was awesome. DH and I shared a bottle of wine each night. We ate, we drank, we swam in the ocean, snorkeled, sat on the beach, road on a Catamaran, YOU NAME IT! It was amazing...and now it is DONE! BOOHOO! That's life. Got to get working to pay for the next VACA!!!! ;) Actually feels great to be back!

misscobi 01-08-2014 07:54 AM

Monica, your cruise sounds amazing! So glad you had a great time! Way to get that first DD under your belt, too. I'm always a little more forgiving those first few days.

Scale is kindly showing some of the holiday weight fleeing. I know at least a couple more pounds should come off quickly which is why I set my goal for this challenge so low(high?). Hopefully when all is said and done I'll only have 12-15 pounds of actual fat to work on.

zipp2play 01-08-2014 08:44 AM

I didn't set a goal for March 20th! Don't have a starting weight....but my

GOAL for 03/20 -- 165

lynne2u 01-08-2014 09:02 AM

Good morning everyone!!

This is my first DD after the debauchery, so I'm feeling your pain, Monica :cry:. Wish me luck!

The cruise sounds wonderful! I know what you mean about it being hard to come back to reality after having a nice vacation. It's almost worse than not having a vacation at all! (Almost.)

A lot of people seem to be sick right now, Tami. I hope you're over the worst of it now. You know, after I put that curry chicken recipe up, I seem to remember that I might have given you the same recipe last year when you were sick.:hyst: At least I'm consistent. Right?

Liz, welcome back! And me too with the MIA. I just couldn't deal with everything over the holidays and stick with my plan. I switched to lc treats to contain the damage, and it did to some extent.

Me... I've managed to hurt my back somehow. It's letting up today, but I'm taking it very, very easy.

The kid is back in school, so I have a minute to breathe. Now I pray he doesn't get sick, and I don't get sick, so that I can get some things done! It is almost impossible to get any work done (i.e. concentrate) with him around - he doesn't let me. I can't even get on the phone without him getting needy. If I even take a shower he feels very insecure and stations himself right outside the bathroom door until I come out! What's up with that??

Remember I said that he was getting an iPad to use as a communication device? Well, that was back in October, and it still hasn't come. I checked on it yesterday, and apparently it was shipped on November 25th - to my old address! (I had emailed them on the 21st to make sure they had the correct address to ship it to. They emailed back and said they took care of it.) So...they called Fed Ex, and Fed Ex said they indeed delivered it to my old address.

First of all, Fed Ex knew what my correct address was. I had updated my address with them after I moved in July. They refused to deliver a container of whey protein to the old address just a week after I moved - they returned it to sender - so I'm supposed to believe that however many months later they delivered an iPad to the old address?

Second, they're shipping an iPad mini *and leaving it* at an address without requiring a confirmation signature? Really?

Third, why didn't anyone follow up and make sure the iPad went where it was supposed to go, since we had the discussion about the change of address before the iPad landed?

What is going on here? I don't get it.:dunno:

I'm back to work - Happy Wednesday!!

Lynne

zipp2play 01-08-2014 12:05 PM

Lynne that is a LAZY fed ex route driver, that is what that is. LAZY and didn't want to mess with it. LOSER! I hope they straighten it out soon! Gavin, he just LOVES his MOMMA! Take care of your back, if you are ok with a Chiropractor, I strongly suggest them. I have one I go to probably once a month! LOVE THAT MAN! FIrm believer in them here! I think I can see the light....from under the paperwork that has toppled over me! I think by Friday, I may actually feel like I can BREATH!!!! Now, when are we going back to the beach????

DesertGurl 01-08-2014 02:28 PM

Hey girls! Dropping in quickly...dealing with sick kiddos..the flu is making its rounds here :rolleyes: I was up all night with DD17 and I am exhausted. :sleepy:

So glad we were able to get a new challenge started, I was startin to sweat there for a sec :laugh:

For this challenge I'll set a goal of 18 lbs. That puts me right around 210. That is CUH-RAZY to think I'd be that much closer to Onederland!

I'll BBL to do personals when I've taken a nap. Right now I'm starving and very sleepy :p

228.6/228.6/210.6

misscobi 01-08-2014 02:30 PM

Aw, Lynne! That sucks about the ipad AND your back. Blah. Sure hope they straighten out the ipad mess for you! Also hope the back continues to improve. Not fun at all. Is this clingy behavior for Gavin new? I might be wondering what could be stressing him if it's something new. Hmmm. LOL at the recipe. If you did share it last year I still haven't made it, so needed the reminder! lol It requires a trip to the store which I don't see happening until *maybe* Friday. It really does sound good & worth the effort to track down ingredients, though.

Monica, glad you've made a dent in your 'welcome home' pile of paper. Whether it's done by Friday or not, you have my permission to walk away from it and totally and completely forget all about it until Monday. lol.

misscobi 01-08-2014 02:33 PM

:hiya: Danielle! I was thinking about you, which is why I decided to check on this thread... and we ended up typing at the same time. How cool is that? Maybe a little weird, too :dunno: :laugh: Very happy to see you here, though :)

lynne2u 01-08-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertGurl (Post 16748080)
I'll BBL to do personals when I've taken a nap. Right now I'm starving and very sleepy :p

228.6/228.6/210.6

:console: g'night, Danielle! I'm thinking about burrowing in for a nap, too.:cool: Kid was up at 3:30, and therefore so was I. Unlike him, I can't just drop off again after the monsters have been chased back into the closet. :laugh:

Lynne

LauraDavis 01-08-2014 07:05 PM

Recipe looks great Lynne. Guess I'm late to the party. Great to see everyone. I think I'm back for real now. Things have just been so crazy lately. Not only am I working 7 days a week but 11 1/2 to 12 hour days.

zipp2play 01-09-2014 06:31 AM

Laura, great to see you girl!

Danielle - hope everyone starts feeling better! My Sister has something. She went to the DR, it is not influenza, but she is running a fever and feeling like CRAP! TIS THE FREAKING SEASON! Dang it! Stay healthy!

Lynne - WOW Gavin was up EARLY! Glad that isn't a common thing. I'm attempting DD #2. Goal 800c.

Tami - thank you so much for telling me I could walk away till Monday....I SO WISH I could. HEck, Maybe I can find a WIFI spot and just camp out on the beach somewhere. I could EASILY become a beach bum! EASILY! :lol:

So , as I stated, DD today. Goal 800c

Here is what I have for options:

Quest bar 160c
Eggs/cottage cheese 180c
Tomato salad 100c (per cup)
Lettuce salad 85c

I figured I would eat all that. Probably do 2 cups of the tomato salad. If I stick to that, that would be 625c! Time will tell!

zipp2play 01-09-2014 07:15 AM

Here are some pics from the cruise!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...psdeb8c939.jpg

My sister, my Mom and ME!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ps453acf02.jpg

All 7 of us.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...psca17dcd7.jpg

My Family
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ps06a486b2.jpg

Haven and ME

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ps92623b84.jpg

Sister and me

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...pscec3391f.jpg

DH and I! I told you. We ate/drank/and were merry!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...psae05f26c.jpg

Just me!

Lize636 01-09-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipp2play (Post 16748995)
Here are some pics from the cruise!

LOVE LOVE LOVE ....looks like you had a blast !!!!

misscobi 01-09-2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipp2play (Post 16748907)
My Sister has something. She went to the DR, it is not influenza, but she is running a fever and feeling like CRAP!

This is exactly what DH did. Doctor was sure it was influenza, but nope. I decided there was no point in going to the dr. yet since I obviously have whatever he has. This stuff is nasty! Hope your sis and everyone else with this disgusting disease feels better soon!

LOVE the cruise pics! You all look so happy! And you look fabulous! What a wonderful way to spend New Years!

Ah, a beach bum with wifi... sounds perfect! Good luck with your DD!

Laura, good to see you & hope you're doing well! I used to work like that, but it was a loooong time ago and a job I loved. I can't even imagine doing it now! Hope you can find a little time to pamper yourself & catch up on rest!

Lynne, hope you and Gavin slept in a little later this morning! Geez, kiddo!

lynne2u 01-09-2014 09:32 AM

Good morning everyone!!

Monica, what a beautiful family you have! And it looks like you had so much fun, too!!

Question: What's in the martini glasses in the "you and DH" picture toward the end? It looks like chocolate sauce...?

Laura, welcome back! To tell you the truth, I'm feeling like making that curry chicken again. It looks good.:laugh: I think I put red bell peppers in it last time too. And garlic.:yummy:

Sorry you have to work so much. Big paycheck is good though, right?:dunno:

Tami, the ingredients like red curry paste and fish sauce you should be able to find in any supermarket. It sounds exotic, but not really. (Also - full disclosure - I did not use any fish sauce when I made it and it turned out fine without it.:laugh:)

Liz, Brr!!! It's cold where you live!! Is it thawing out now?

Danielle, 18 lbs. sounds like a good goal! I hope DD 17 feels better today? You're staying healthy too?

Me... well, I would have gotten caught up on my sleep last night except it's been storming here! It gets very loud when the wind blows and the rain pours down.

The iPad situation is still not resolved. We're working on it, I guess. I haven't heard back from the granting foundation's guy since I suggested he contact the current resident at my last address and ask if he got a package that didn't belong to him *and kept it* in November.

The foundation's guy first suggested I contact the current resident and ask about the iPad. How am I supposed to do that without accusing him of theft? (We know each other. He knows where I live. He could easily have delivered it to me or whatever.) Not comfortable with that, so I suggested the foundation contact the property manager of that address and go through them to find out about a stray package.

What do you think, challengers?

So...DD went pretty well yesterday, 700c instead of 500c, but I can live with that. The perfect being the enemy of the good and all that jazz I was spouting last challenge.:D

UD is so-far-so-good. :up:

Happy Thursday, all!!

Lynne

Stacy O 01-09-2014 10:38 AM

Hi everybody!

I just got back from a 3 day business trip and I'm back on Induction. On my trip, I indulged in alcohol, and of all things, airport food which surely messed up my progress. But I'm happy to say that aside from that, I stayed completely on plan during my entire meeing and dinners.

I'd love to make it to one-derland by March 20. I haven't read through this thread as of now, but I can tell you that Red Thai Curry Chicken is in my dinner future for sure and I know that I am truly jealous of Monica and her family! :)

Life is busy here - my job is crazy right now...it never stopped being crazy since November, so bear with me, I will pop in from time to time and will try to pass on some fun recipes too....anyone else here on atkins still?

zipp2play 01-09-2014 10:41 AM

Quote:

Question: What's in the martini glasses in the "you and DH" picture toward the end? It looks like chocolate sauce...?
It's a Chocolate-Tini. If made correctly they are PURE HEAVEN if not, SWILL! :lol: These were perfect!

zipp2play 01-09-2014 10:42 AM

Stacy, I hope things get better for you at work soon!

Liz- that is total CRAP! I am sure that guy is using SAID IPAD!

Tami - how are you feeling today?? any better?

Thanks for the kind words. Truly, hard not to have FUN on a trip like that!

Lize636 01-09-2014 11:31 AM

Lynne- Still pretty cold here but not as bad as it was, should be in the 30's by the end of today and then I heard 60's for sat?!?!?! Crazy weather you never know what to wear. As far as the ipad, I agree you shouldn't have to be the one to call the person living there ....how about the Fedex guy who delivered it to the wrong place!!!! I say he goes and asks about it and if they say no it's not there Fedex should replace it for you.

lynne2u 01-09-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lize636 (Post 16749500)
Lynne- Still pretty cold here but not as bad as it was, should be in the 30's by the end of today and then I heard 60's for sat?!?!?! Crazy weather you never know what to wear. As far as the ipad, I agree you shouldn't have to be the one to call the person living there ....how about the Fedex guy who delivered it to the wrong place!!!! I say he goes and asks about it and if they say no it's not there Fedex should replace it for you.

OMG, that is just crazy weather! :dunno: ITA about it being Fedex's responsibility. I don't understand why Apple would have shipped it without requiring a signature; but I bought a notebook from Amazon before the holidays and it was delivered here (by fedex, now that I mention it) and just dropped off at my door too. Does not seem right.

Monica, I Googled "chocolatini" and it sounds really, really good: Baileys, Godiva, and vodka. Wow. I'd be in soooo much trouble on that cruise.:cool:

Lynne

zipp2play 01-10-2014 07:03 AM

OH Lynne, they are good, but pricey! :lol: It is an indulgence I don't do often. Again sorry about the Ipad!

It's FRIDAY ladies. Plans for the weekend?

Tonight we are having friends over for dinner. Tomorrow TAKING DOWN CHRISTMAS! Sunday is sunday school/church and DD12 has her first volleyball tournament of the season! GO Lawrence JR's!