Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 09:56 AM   #241
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: misscobi
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 3/03 originally
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
Tami~ will be thinking of your doggy This is the kinda stuff that makes me stop and think if I really really want to get a dog... I feel like it would be good for me because my kids are all nearly gone, but at the same time, I am such a freak when it comes to worrying about stuff!
It really is similar to having an infant - only you can leave them home alone. lol. We've progressed past the super labor intensive part and he's more like a 3 year old now, but still... he's so my baby. They give such unconditional love and really want us to be happy. It kills me that there's just nothing more I can do for his heart. I've really come to grips with it, because there's REALLY nothing more I can do, but it still sucks.

I've been getting on the scale every few days... it just doesn't move, so what's the point? Sure hope your scale appreciates it's week vacation and treats you well when it returns

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2014, 06:47 AM   #242
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
How is everyone today? My Tulsa trip was great. WE shopped till we almost dropped, the kids swam, we got pedicures, we ate, we played games....YOU NAME IT! It was a fun 3 days. Just what we all needed.

Now back to reality! Volleyball was yesterday all day. Today, is work! My parents are at home with the kids. I think DD12 and Mom plan to shop today! LUCKY HER! My DD12 could shop NONSTOP!!!!

I started LC on Saturday. My head hasn't been in to counting calories for JUDDD at all this year. Switching it up to see if I can just let the LC thing happen! I've done it before, so we will see.

Monica -Come see my journey!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:48 AM   #243

Happy St Patrick's day!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Happy St Patty's Day!

Monica, your trip sounds like a blast! So glad you got some much needed R&R! Good luck with low carb. I flubbed over the weekend, so am back at it this morning, too. I'm up to 199 so not much damage done. Have to be a good girl for at least a week and a half. I think I can do that. lol. We have another concert coming up and I want to wear a pair of pants that are tight on a good day. A few pounds up isn't going to cut it!

Everything is as good as it can be with the dog's heart. His heart actually continues to get stronger which is pretty cool. His a-fib is managed pretty well. The cardiologist said if anything his heart rate is a bit on the low side, but considering how much we struggled to get his rate under control he doesn't want to change a thing unless we start to see symptoms of some sort, which we never have. I agree completely. We also got clearance to move forward with only annual rechecks instead of semi-annual, again unless we start seeing symptoms. Hopefully we never will
misscobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #245
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
Monica~ sounds like you had a lovely time away! Very much deserved, for sure!!! Good luck with LC....it may be just what you need to completely reset. I'm contemplating doing it for alittle bit, haven't decided yet.

Tami~ will be crossing my fingers and hoping for the best for the little guy...wonderful news to being able to space out check ups again!!!
What concert are you going to? We have one on the 26th, I think? I gave up on trying on clothes for the time being...my body is being waaaayyy too wishy-washy

I am in the midst of something....can't quite put my finger on it. This no weighing thing is really throwing me for a loop. A big one. I'm trying to gather my thoughts on this and in a way to convey it clearly. The initial thought is that I feel as if I'm failing. Such a silly feeling when I'm following my plan like I should I would just love the chance to lose some weight without having to think about everything so damn much! Bottom line.

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #246
Major LCF Poster!

I think you totally nailed the frustration, Danielle. My sister and I were just talking about it this weekend - as we were having a piece of cake. It would be so nice just to eat like regular people, including the occasional piece of cake or whatever and not have to stress about it all the time. I've come to grips that I'll never be able to 'not stress over it', but it does get old! Thanks for the well wishes for the dog! We're seeing Moonshine Bandits again on the 26th. Total redneck hell raising fun! I like just about every genre with, but it has to be upbeat with a bit of an attitude. They fit the bill and are local boys, so it's been fun to see them grow. We noticed them and bought their second CD in 2006, so it's not like they've been an overnight sensation, but I do expect them to just explode soon. They had a number one country hit 18 months or so ago(?), but they're really not true country so it's tough for country fans to really embrace them. Since I grew up in basically the same area & demographics they did I totally get their music. A little country mixed with rap, hip-hop, & a driving rock beat on most songs, but mostly it's just FUN! I had the impression that they've totally outgrown the small venue we saw them at a few weeks ago and this is another small venue so we'll see how it goes. I'm really happy for them! The morning of their last concert they stopped by the local VFW hall with their close friends & family and filled care package boxes for the troops. That small town pride is still there and I'm proud that they're from Northern California. Yep.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:07 AM   #247

Tami so glad your doggie is geting the thumbs up from the DR! How exciting another concert to go to! FUN! I hit a brick wall (in my mind) at the age of 37. That is when I came to terms with my eating. I simply cannot let it totally consume me (no matter what the plan). I needed to learn to love myself no Matter what weight I was. It was a very moving year for me!

Dani - Losing weight for me has never and will never be easy. I have been over weight since my Teens, or at least struggled with it since then. I can't understand those that say, I could eat whatever I wanted till XXX . That was never ever me! I went 3+ years without weighing at all. I knew if I was gaining or losing and I simply didn't let the scale have control over me! At first it was rough, then, I literally never wanted to step on the scale!

Tami, what do you snack on? The only thing, for the life of me that I can think of is NUTS!
Old 03-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Monica, I think that's where I'm at now re: not letting it consume me... which is probably why I haven't done so well in the last year. I just don't have it in me to really really focus on it like I need to. I would like to lose more, but I don't let my weight bother me as is, either.

Snacks... I don't snack a lot, but mostly I grab a bite or two of leftovers from dinner the night before. When first starting out I try to keep HB eggs on hand, some string cheese, sometimes some salami or other processed meat stuff (not ideal, but whatever works to get through those first few days!), celery w/ cream cheese, ummmm... I'll keep thinking!
Old 03-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #249
Big Yapper!!!!

For me the scale has always been an integral part of my weight loss... mainly because I can gain an exorbitant amount of weight very quickly.. I don't feel like I've ever had a "choice" to not weigh when I was staying present in my weight loss journey.. that's what makes all of this hard/confusing for me.

Snacks for lc'ing.. pepperoni crisps, cheese crisps, cream cheese muffins, celery, peppers,tomatoes w/ dip/ranch, celery w/ pb, deli meat/cheese roll-ups, protein shakes, nuts, jalepeno poppers....annnnnnd now I'm HUNGRY YUM, that all sounds fabulous to me!
Old 03-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #250

Tami, great suggestions for snacks. Thanks. My problem is breakfast is at 7 and lunch is well after 1:00 most days.

Dani - the recipe for cream cheese muffins, do you have that?? I totally forgot about the pepperoni crisps and the cheese crisps!!!!!! I used to have those with tuna salad!

THANK YOU
Old 03-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #251
Major LCF Poster!

Dill pickle spears... and all that yummy stuff Danielle mentioned. lol You could do one minute muffins, too, though I tend to keep it really simple at first.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:26 AM   #252

Thanks for the help girls! I am transitioning well. I think. I only want to do this for a short time. At most, Till Easter.

It's Tuesday! I weighed today 174.6, I think that was the same as before going to Tulsa, so that is good!

Have a great day! We played cards with my parents after dinner last night. That was our big St Pat's celebration!
Old 03-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds like my kind of celebration We didn't do anything. lol. Well, we played a few rounds of darts here while my non-traditional St. Paddy's day tri-tip was on the grill, then called it a night. Glad you're transitioning well. It'll be interesting to see how your body reacts.

Hi Lynne, Danielle, and anyone else who manages to stop by!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #254
Big Yapper!!!!

Did nothing for the day yesterday... in fact, I spent the day pretty much entirely alone It's nice to get caught up on my dvr in peace, and then enjoyed a nice steak and salad for dinner

Considering taking a foray into the nutritional ketosis world... haven't decided for sure, yet. I have reading to do because I don't know what all is entailed... I'm just trying to figure out what it is that my body feels like it's missing and not wanting to release this weight as quickly as it should be for my size.. I love carb cycling and definitely interested in figuring out a way to implement it into this if I can.
I just know that I have to do "something" sooner rather than later because the last few weeks the scale's gone backwards, KWIM? Altho I haven't weighed this week YET (and that's a whole other mental issue altogether--In my journal if anyone cares...) I don't *feel* lighter, I don't feel differently or that anything is happening...
Old 03-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #255

Tami - sounds like an easy evening! I plan to go to bed EARLY tonight! My parents being around has had us staying up later than normal...not to mention being in Spring Break MODE!

Dani - won't hurt to change things up a bit. Even if for just a short time. That's what/why I finally did it. I just got to where a DD on JUDDD I would fret/moan/stew over it before it was even happening!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:27 AM   #256

HUMP DAAAAAY!

my 2 are loving life on Spring Break. I am certain next week will come to large GRUMBLES!!!!!!!!! OH but to enjoy what we have this week!

Ate all LC yesterday. I was cooking stuff last night, so I probably nibbled a little too much here/there, but all on plan!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #257
Big Yapper!!!!

Spring break doesn't happen here for the kiddo until next week... I think she's going to end up working a ton though...her boss is on vacation this week and was thrilled to hear that she had wide open availability for when he came back... Good for her pocketbook. Good for her boss. Bad for my taxi.

Now that I have DH outta my hair for the day today I can start doing some reading on some variations on LC eating...I'm fairly certain I'll be venturing into something, I just haven't figured out how I want to approach it. I am DREADING the scale tomorrow! After all that griping, I do not want to get on it. I don't feel thinner, or smaller, or anything, in any way. Also, the peanut butter cookies DD17 made last night might have something to do with wanting to avoid the scale? Perhaps I didn't eat many, but I'm sure my stubborn body is hanging on to every morsel
Eh, it is what it is...I'll learn how to roll with it!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lynne2u
Stats: 245/207/140
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet/JUDDD/no sugar
Good morning everyone!!

Yummm, jalapeno poppers! One lc snack that hasn't been mentioned yet is my favorite low-carb, time-consuming snack food for TV time: sunflower seeds in shell. There are lots of flavors.

I wonder if there might be a connection between our ennui with our various eating plans and the fact that it's Spring...and that we've been on our same old eating plans for a while? I've heard that weight losers tend to eat the same foods over and over again, and that lack of variety in food doesn't stimulate dopamine in the same way that "novel" foods do, so we eat more and more trying to get the same effect. Sorry, no reference to link to, lame I know. Spring says, "renewal, rebirth", right? We want to change up, have something different? I don't know where I was going with this, but...there ya go.

Speaking of "novel"...I'm sorry, but the family support network has completely taken over my life lately. I KNEW this would happen, and I was dreading it. So what I'm trying to say is I haven't been writing much in the last couple of weeks. The vampires are on simmer. I can do two things - raising Gavin and writing vampires or raising Gavin and growing the family support network - but I'm not succeeding at keeping all three balls in the air at the same time.

My uncle says, Yeah, me too...it's not that I've got too many irons in the fire...it's that I don't have enough fire!

I'm staying with my JUDDD crockpot, but changing up the foods as much as possible. If DD is a strain, I flex (up to 1000 c if needed). So far so good. The medication has made it easier for me to stay on plan. Crossing my fingers that it continues. My blood pressure is back down, despite the best efforts of the family support network to make me nuts.

I'm using my notebook to post. My old laptop overheats too much, so I've put it out to pasture.

More LC treat ideas: chocolate coconut bark. Because there's never enough chocolate.

Happy Wednesday, ladies!!

Lynne

Carbohydrate Addict's Diet. Hopefully.

Reality is still the boss, after all these years.
lynne2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #259

Lynne great to see you and such insight. You could be right. I know I am NOT a person that can eat the same stuff over and over again, if I do, I BURN OUT quickly. Dawn, one of the JUDDD sucess stories, she has no issues doing that. I wonder if it is just all mental? Like a lot of stuff, most likely! You need to do what is best for your "family" be it you/Gavin or extended! I can wait on the vampires.

As for laptops getting old, we have one that needs to be recylced. I won't be replacing it either. The Ipad/iphone/ipad mini at our house replaces it enough. I just need the desktop to limp around as long as possible as that is what I use when I work from home. I need the ten key and big screen if I am going to be working for several hours.

Sounds like you are doing well. Keep it up. Thrilled your bloodpressure is down!
Old 03-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #260
Major LCF Poster!

Lynne, so glad to see you stop in! You seem to have such a great grasp on things lately and I love it! You know your limitations & if vampires have to wait for a bit, so be it. As long as that's not adding to your stress! Yay for medication doing it's thing, too! I think you're probably onto something with the same foods & dopamine as well as it being spring and all of us looking for a change. Makes sense to me!

Now you guys have me wondering when DS21 has spring break. I have no clue. Guess I know what I'll be looking up next. lol DS20 didn't register for classes this spring and we're all ok with that decision. He was just (barely) spinning his wheels so it's ok. Maybe he'll get back to school with more dedication in the future or maybe he won't? He'll be fine either way. DH and I have told him we'd help with a technical school when he's ready, but he's not sure what he wants to do just yet. He's a hard working kid and all will be fine.

Dropped a few of the weekend pounds this morning - I swear I'd be great at maintaining if I ever get there. lol Can't believe this challenge is almost over. So much for that on fire determination that I started with. Hmmm.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #261
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscobi View Post
So much for that on fire determination that I started with. Hmmm.
Maybe if we could think of "why" this is so important to us it would be easier to maintain focus? For myself, I need to maintain my health for the sake of my son. He doesn't have anybody else, and if I succumb to diabetes and/or heart disease - my family legacy, lol - he will be left without a momma. Sorry to put it so bluntly.

It does help to keep me on track.

Lynne
Old 03-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds like a darned good reason to me, Lynne!

I just want to be skinnier... honestly I just don't want my shirt to cling to my little pooch of a tummy. If that went away I'd be golden. Guess you can see why it's not a HUGE motivator. Hmmmm. I'm eating low carb 99% of the time, so diabetes, heart disease, etc. should be being held at bay, but I'm sure the xtra layer of fat is still unhealthy.... plus it makes my shirt cling to it & you can even see it's all wrinkly & jiggly puff through some shirts (I don't wear them out - just get annoyed trying things on). Yeah. Not quite as motivating as your reason
Old 03-20-2014, 07:33 AM   #263

Tami, I am with you. My problem is, I look OK at best. I am close enough to be lazy, but not close enough to allow myself to be lazy. My health is excellent so I can't use that reasoning either. BLAH! I want to be smaller, but I don't want to eat less to make that happen. That doesn't make for a winning combination.

That being said, I am enjoying the LC lifestyle for now. I had a good lc day yesterday. I want to try something new to eat tomorrow. I would like to keep mixing things up for now.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #264
Major LCF Poster!

Same here, Monica... and you being 20 pounds lighter than I, well let's just say that surely you look more OK than I do. lol Glad you're enjoying LC. I really do, too. Whatcha thinking of trying new?
Old 03-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Tami, I am with you. My problem is, I look OK at best. I am close enough to be lazy, but not close enough to allow myself to be lazy. My health is excellent so I can't use that reasoning either. BLAH! I want to be smaller, but I don't want to eat less to make that happen. That doesn't make for a winning combination.

That being said, I am enjoying the LC lifestyle for now. I had a good lc day yesterday. I want to try something new to eat tomorrow. I would like to keep mixing things up for now.
I think you look fantastic.

How about chicken or pork adobo for something new and LC? It's yum and makes the house smell good. You can do it in the crockpot. Need cheap fatty meat like thighs or pork shoulder cut in cubes...then a cup of soy sauce, a cup of vinegar, 2-3 bay leaves, 2-3 cloves of garlic, and half an onion whacked up. Put all in crockpot all day. Good with coleslaw on lc tortillas.

Maybe we're all doing okay, just the way we are. Hmm. I just got back my blood test results yesterday - my cholesterol was 224, my ldl was a little high, my bun/creatinine ratio was a little high. All things considered, it'll do.

I just saw a documentary last night called "the men who made us fat". It's free on LinkTV, you can Google to find it if you're interested. It's about the food industry and advertising and politics and the obesity epidemic around the world. Pretty cool if you like to watch stuff like that (I do).

The journalist who made the documentary had an MRI to see how much visceral fat he was carrying (he wasn't fat at all on the outside) and he had a lot of fat around his organs, like 5 liters or something like that. They said a fat person could have 10-15 liters of fat around their organs!! The researcher said it had to do with stress and lack of sleep. Who doesn't have that nowadays??

Shall we start a new challenge tomorrow? Or Saturday or Monday?

I guess I'd better get back to work. Making hay while the sun shines and all that. Happy Thursday, y'all!!

Lynne
Old 03-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #266

I'm in for a new challenge. Not sure I will throw out a goal this time. I seem to EPIC fail on all my "goals!"
Old 03-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #267

My goal for this challenge was 165. I am not even close! I will weigh in tomorrow for final weight for this challenge and starting for next!
Old 03-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #268
Big Yapper!!!!

I ended this challenge higher than when I started

Good freakin hell

I couldn't even tell you why, even! I followed my plan religiously and nada.. Ugh....who was I kidding when I set a goal of 210

First day of LC'ing and so far so good.. I feel ok, really really thirsty, but pretty satisfied with my food....

Missing my carb cycling though....I feel like such a traitor!

Last edited by DesertGurl; 03-20-2014 at 02:39 PM..
Old 03-21-2014, 06:14 AM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

I did, too, Danielle and I was up a little at the end of the last one, too, so that's really not a good trend even if it's just a couple of pounds. Hmph.

I'm rushing this morning, but am up for a new challenge... erm maybe we should just call it a support group? lol Seriously, I really do need to get that scale moving. I'm ok with whatever you gals want to do

Happy Friday, ladies! I have da' baby today
Old 03-21-2014, 06:21 AM   #270

I am game for whatever. Support group/challenge, you all name it.

My weight is up from early this week. 175.4 BLAH!!!!!!!!!!