Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bethr
Stats: 289.5/241.5/234 by 7/21/14
WOE: FMD
Start Date: First Time 4/01 Restart 4/28/14
Slimmer by Spring--January Edition

Happy New Year Slimmers.

And so it begins, a new year, a new month, a new challenge, a new "us". We are a small but mighty group. Our challenge is open to all who wish to join us. Pick a goal, any goal, that you wish to achieve be it a certain number of pounds, drinking more water, getting more exercise, whatever! We're here to support each other through the ups and downs of this way of life.

So lets move forward into 2014!
bethr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning all!

Boy am I tired and sore this morning. Went to the chiropractor yesterday and she put be back together, but my body is stiff and sore. And we had a gig last night, which was great. But I am so puzzled by people sometimes. At the end of the first set, which was mainly quieter songs that build into a great rendition of GLORIA, a woman in the back of the room comes up to me and asks if the music has to be so loud. #1 Its a dinner/dance party. #2 Its a NYE dinner/dance party. #3 It wasn't that loud (I am very sensitive to volume control and it wasn't too loud). #4 It was 11:00 pm on NYE. Are you freakin' kidding me? The band plays there every NYE. They are a party band. This lady was sitting at the back of the room so it wasn't the loudest spot in the room anyway. Geez--go somewhere else if you want quiet dinner conversation on NYE with no music. So we have to head back to the club this morning to begin breaking down the set-up, just didn't want to deal with it last night.

I'm planning on starting my detox on Friday and will hopefully manage to get through the three days. I may not make it that long, though. Even one day would be a good jump start. I'm not planning on going back to the gym until this virus gets better. This morning actually wasn't too bad and I'm going on only 5 hours of sleep. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Have a great day all!

See my blog www.bethrado.blogspot.com

One step, one hour, one day at a time.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning all!

I was supposed to go to the dentist to get a tooth filled today and when I got there they decided to reschedule because of my cough and the difficulty of lying back in the chair. My chiropractor called and has to leave early so I won't be going there today and I rescheduled my PT appointment. My body is really tired and sore. I think the last month, with the cold and the travel have caught up with me. I never made it out of the house yesterday to shop for the detox so we didn't start that today. But I did make it to the market and shopped so we will do two days of detox. No doubt it will be helpful. Gonna take my vitamins and get some rest today. Working on getting the tax stuff organized. Must pay our estimated taxes on the 15th and I want an idea of what the damage will be this year. Oh well.

Hope you are all doing well.

Where are y'all?
Old 01-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Annie64
Stats: 245/175.6/ ? 5'8"
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 6/2/08
Happy New Year! Yep.. its time to get serious! It has been difficult, but I am easing my way back to healthier eating. I have found some of my OLD bad habits I thought were lost forever. *sigh* I just need to be locked in a room for a week! Started drinking my green monster smoothies again, and eating less.. but not always the best choices. I PLAN to be VERY good over the weekend. Getting my hair cut and colored tomorrow FINALLY! It has been months and boy oh boy does it need it. Maybe that will help me stay on track because I will feel a little more like myself.

I took a good (painful) look at myself in the mirror, and when I really relaxed my stomach.. holy cow! I couldn't believe it! I actually heard OLD ME say, "I'm baaaaack" in an evil voice. I never thought THAT me would return, but it seems I have gained back about half of the weight I lost 5 years ago! Barely any clothes fit, I don't fix my hair or care how I look much at all... I have got to find myself again and get this weight back off once and for all. I admit it.. I'm scared!

Beth: I looked up the detox, and it looks pretty good although there are several things I don't care for (like green tea, mango, and cucumber).. maybe instead I will do something similar with my green monster smoothies, and just make different recipes with other fruits etc...
Old 01-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Diane- you really can't taste those things, but no doubt you can substitute. My favorite shake is the breakfast one and I add protein powder, and more almond butter. I also add stevia which makes it all sweeter. I'm starting tomorrow.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow today flew by. First Starbucks, then my hair appointment (I've got the new me hair with the old me body LOL), then to school to buy my books (420 bucks later.. ouch), then to a few stores to grab a few things before the snow hits tomorrow. The HIGH on Tuesday is -4 and who knows what the wind chill will make it!

I did pretty good today except for a few chips. I went to get a few pairs of "fat pants" because I'm tired of my belly hanging over the top of my pants. Most of what I have gained seems to be belly fat. Ugh. I feel like I'm carrying around some alien blob!

Beth: Hmmm... like you can't taste the spinach in my smoothies! I may try it sometime!
Annie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:23 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sports_mom
Stats: 253.6/203.4/175
WOE: Low Carb
Good morning! I am serious and working out again. I've been doing these HasFit videos and they are perfect as far as timing - 20-30 minutes. Friday was the first time I worked out in forever and I was sore for 3 days. Ready to get fit again.

Diane - my pants are tighter too and that's what makes me want to work right now. They were all so loose and comfortable a year ago.

Beth - I may do a detox too later this week to help boost my week next week. Right now I'm focusing on making better food choices and drinking water.

Have a great day!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all,

Just getting going with the new year and being back at work is exhausting. I've not made it to the gym yet all. Hopefully this weekend. Still getting back into the swing of things. I'm doing my best not to eat any wheat since my detox. Also trying to skip diet sodas and caffeine, although I did have a cup of coffee this morning.

Hope you are all doing well. BBL for personals. I have a dog on my lap.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:58 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Ok, for some reason my weight shot up by 4 lbs on Monday, making me a whopping 213.2! OMG! Thankfully today I am back under 210, but sheesh! This is scary! I was going up and down between 203-207, but now that feels like a dream! The fat pants I bought were even a little tight! I seem to be getting back into the groove though. Being sick yesterday helped. I did eat, but slept most of the day and didn't feel like eating anything really bad. I SO badly want to go back to the gym, but because of my foot (I don't feel like it is healed enough being that I stepped funny the other day and it hurt).. I need to do SOMETHING though. I can manage pilates I think.. it's all floor work and that shouldn't put weight on my foot. I can also do ab workouts (which I need desperately).. so really, I have no excuse other than I don't have a lot of space at home to do any of that. I'm not ready for pilates at the gym.. bet I can do a recumbant bike though!

Charlene: I know what you mean. I REALLY REALLY miss my size 10 jeans! I have so many cute clothes that I have "outgrown" and can't wait to get back into them! The jeans I bought are 14's! This weight makes me want to stay home because I'm afraid to run into anyone I know.. I kept that weight off for 5 years, so it's kind of embarrassing that I have gained half of it back. I want to look up previous posts to see what I weighed at different times of the year because to ME this weight happened pretty fast, but maybe it crept on all year. I dunno.

Beth: Ohhh caffeine! And I gave it up for years (except for an occasional bday or Christmas coke) lol... I don't see giving that up again any time soon. Did you make it through the whole detox?
Old 01-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Hey all!
I made it through a day and a half of the detox, but I think it was really helpful. I'm not officially doing a low carb plan but am being careful about what I eat. Staying away from wheat and diet soda. I made a great chateaubriand for dinner tonight and it was awesome. Must get back to the gym this week. I now have to work on Friday morning, its gonna be a full work week, which I was trying to avoid.

Diane--I too have gained back about 1/2 of what I lost. But we haven't gained it all back. And mine has all gone to my middle--thanks menopause.

Charlene--how ya doing?

I'll check in again tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:51 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Basketball keeping us hopping about 3 nights a week plus dd13 is so sick. Threw up Monday and missed 1 1/2 days of school and then threw up last night. Bless her heart - can't shake this bug. May have relapsed since she tried to go back too soon.

Hope you all have a great day!
sports_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Are all y'all sittin' down? I went to the gym today. The first time in a very long time. I did 20 minutes on the bike and my pt exercises. I actually had some energy today even though I was brain damaged after this week at work. My client really changed up the goals for the project and I developed a new plan without changing the essence of the building design within 48 hours. The client was stunned that we were able to (ok, I was able to) respond to their changes and in such a responsive way. That felt good. That's what I do. But I was wiped out afterwards.

Charlene--sounds like you are keeping busy. My 13 yo nephew has been recruited by a select baseball team in Frisco. It is a pretty intensive program and he will have to give up music in order to participate. From what I've been told, the intent is to train these kids for college and pro baseball opportunities. I guess he haz sum mad skilz.

Diane--how ya doing?

Have a great day all
Old 01-11-2014, 05:19 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: hhhmom74
Stats: 199.5/135/120 5'4"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/22/02 restarted more than once
Good morning Slimmers!

I am back! Sorry I was MIA for so long. I just couldnt seem to get my mojo going.

I weighed in at 148 on January 1st. This morning I weighed 144.4 lbs. I am really hoping to just start my weight loss this week by being super strict. My goal is 125 by Easter.

My life is super crazy right now. DS16 starts show choir competitions next weekend. DD19 has applied at a church camp for kids with autism in North Carolina for the summer. She would be 10 hours away all summer (mixed emotions about this). DD15 turns 16 in 2 months. My 2 nephews are growing like weeds!! Cant beleieve they will be 4 and 3 this summer.

We had a huge snowstorm last weekend. Ended up being snowed in for 3 days. School was cancelled for 3 days.
hhhmom74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #14

Morning Slimmers!

Scale is down another lb this morning. I even ate a late supper at a restaurant last night. I would love to see 139.8 on the scale by next Saturday morning but I am not sure thats realistic.

I am detoxing for sure! I woke up with a MAJOR headache. I am kind of achy too. I am really pushing the water in hopes that it will pass quickly.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning all!

Hope you are all well. I've been sorting through 2013 receipts for taxes. Have to pay estimated taxes this week. Hope to get to the gym today.

Rachel--good to have you back.

Diane--where are you

Charlene--how's it going

Have a great day all. Its sunny and in the 60s today.

Beth
Old 01-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi everyone! I am doing good today, but yesterday all bets were off! I took Meadow to the aquarium (it was so much fun), then to lunch at Tom+Chee (best grilled cheese ever).. I had a Pep+Chee (pepperoni, mozarella, and sauce..grilled sourdough) OMG was it good! Then of course I had to have some of the Smores grilled cheese donut. Thankfully I didn't go up much on the scale this morning.... I was bracing myself for the worst! lol

Today I am cleaning and organizing, then plan to do some homework. Tomorrow is my first public speaking class since school was closed last week due to the sub-zero temps.

Feeling fairly up today... it's actually sunny and in the mid 40s today! I feel like I should be outside in this "heatwave" Maybe later...

Beth: Good for you getting back to the gym! Hopefully I can do the same soon. I should at LEAST go to the community gym here where I live and get on a bike. Anything is better than nothing!

Rachel: Happy to see you back posting! We weren't snowed in here, but we were wind-chilled in.. got to -35!

Charlene: Hope DD is feeling better.. and I hope you don't get it!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:55 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

208.8... that's what I'm talkin' about! lol.. that was what I was hoping to see on the scale this morning and I was not disappointed. Well, that was the highest number I wanted to see anyway. Did pretty good with eating, but I wasn't perfect - at least the scale went in the right direction.

Speech class tonight.. I'm not that nervous... yet. I know I will be at some point, but I don't think we have to get up to talk for a few weeks... unless he has us do some kind of "get to know you" kind of thing. I hope not. I also hope it's a SMALL class with a good age mix AND that everyone is more scared than I am! Too much to ask? lol

Last edited by Annie64; 01-13-2014 at 06:56 AM..
Old 01-13-2014, 06:55 AM   #18

Morning Slimmers!

Scale stayed the same this morning! I was really hoping to see a loss this morning because I didnt eat much yesterday. Also didnt drink much water so that could be why.

I am having horrible insomina. I have struggled with this for a couple years now. Today I feel drugged from lack of sleep.

Beth: hows the weather out there?

Diane: it was -45 below zero on Monday here. We didnt leave the house! Good luck at your class today!

Charlene: sounds like you are super busy too!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:39 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning! I had a GREAT day yesterday and as a result, went to bed feeling hungry even though I had a huge Subway salad. I also had a MAJOR headache - I'm sure from withdrawing from the crap I've been eating. I feel so much lighter this morning. Need to up my water and get back to a regular workout routine. I've really slacked off in that department. I still get up extra early, but I find other things to do around the house instead of working out. DD13 is better as of Saturday afternoon. She's finally feeling normal again. It was a full week of being sick.

Beth - YAY for you going to the gym! I know it felt good. I know if I will just commit, I will love it again....I always do. You did great adapting to the big change at work! You have to feel accomplished!

Diane - Yay that you're on the downward move! Keep it up! The aquarium sounds like an awesome trip. Your speech class reminded me of when I took it in college. I remember getting up in front of my peers and I shook so badly, the podium shook too. I became pale and sick. When I was done, my professor told me I could leave. LOL I can talk all day long in front of kids at school, but when it comes to adults, I am a basket case!

Rachel!!!!!! It's sooooo good to see you!!!! Sounds like we're all back on track!! That summer camp sounds amazing, but I would have mixed emotions too. Sounds like a great opportunity!

Have a great day everyone!!!
sports_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #20

Good morning Slimmers!

Scale stayed the same this morning. I was really hoping to lose 3 lbs this week.

Charlene: so glad your DD is finally feeling better! I had major detox on Sunday. It was horrible!
Old 01-14-2014, 07:49 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Ughhhhhh TOM surprised me yesterday.. I thought I had more time, but when I checked, yep.. it was time for a visit! That would explain why I felt like a beach ball last week. BUT today I am having horrible cramps, and I NEVER have cramps.

Speech class wasn't bad last night (but I know it will get worse) lol.. it was actually kind of fun! We did a few get to know you activities and of course we all had to say our names and a little about ourselves. I was ok until I started to speak and I blanked out LOL.

Eating was good yesterday but I ate a little more than I should have after class which was late. Today doing very well, and I am at work, then math class, so I won't have much opportunity to be bad.

Gotta run! I'll check back later.....
Old 01-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Ladies!

Been super busy at work, I've worked 11 hours/day for the last two days. I am feeling better the last few days. I went to the gym on Sunday and am planning on going again tomorrow. I'm working from home tomorrow, prepping for a big meeting on Thursday.

I had a massage on Saturday and then was not feeling to great on Sunday evening. I think I was just releasing toxins since it had been a while since I had one.

Rachel--it was 73 today in San Francisco. It is unusually warm and we are in a drought with no rain in sight. The hills, which should be green this time of year, are brown, not even golden.

Diane--you'll do fine in speech class. I used to be terrified of speaking in front of people, terribly shy. But now I do just fine, I've spoken in front of international groups of colleagues. Most people are more concerned about themselves then they are about you. Preparation is key, as well as the ability to ad lib if necessary. Even though you might forget something that you think you were going to say, no one is going to know that you forgot it.

Charlene--let's get back to the work outs! Even if they aren't long and intense, starting is the key!

Have a great evening all!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #23

Hi Slimmers!

Scale bounced up a lb this morning. I am not sure what is up with that. I am really hoping for a loss this week!

It is snowing again. It is not suppose to amount to much though. It is only 20 degrees this morning and very windy. I dislike winter so much!

Beth: I am so jealous of your weather! I am hoping we have warm temps early this year since it got cold so early.

Diane: glad speech class wasnt too bad for ya!

Charlene: hi!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Weight was up a little but I blame TOM. Those cramps yesterday were crazy.. felt like I was in labor! Then I felt fine the rest of the day. Weird.

Math class last night.. Hmm.. I really like the professor, and I like his teaching style. It is a FULL class of 35, so I feel like a sardine... but he seems really nice, funny, and animated.. maybe just maybe I can do this. Tonight is painting!

Beth: Yes, I know most people in the class are probably very nervous too. We will have designated days to do our speeches, but I don't know if we will be in a particular order or not... I may volunteer to go first, so that people will not have me fresh in their minds and so I won't be sitting there sick to my stomach all night!

Rachel: Same weather here.. cold and flurries, but no accumulation. I hate winter too! I really don't mind all THAT much except when I have to drive in ice or snow. That is what I really hate... I do prefer SUNNY winter days though.

Hi Charlene!
Old 01-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: love2live
Stats: 270.5/245/150
WOE: Atkins - induction **ultimate goal 150**
Start Date: 1/01/2014
Hi, may I join your group?
love2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Please join us l2l and tell us a bit about yourself
Old 01-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethr View Post
Please join us l2l and tell us a bit about yourself
Hi, thanks.

My name is Niki and I live in northern Nevada right next to Lake Tahoe. I tried low-carb back in 2001 and was successful only down to about 200 pounds.

Over the years my weight has creeped back up and my eating habits were prior to January 1 of this year, deplorable. I am an emotional eater and food triggers the serotonin release that I need.

I decided on January 1 of this year that I was finally going to not only lose the weight which will be over 100 pounds, but also change my eating habits. Thus far I have lost 12 pounds.

Along this journey, I also need to find a way to put myself first and to take time every day to get some sort of exercise. After retiring, I went back to school and my daily routine was sitting and studying and eating what I deemed were study snacks; bags of M&Ms and packages of Oreo cookies.

I have four children all of whom have moved out of the house, and two grandchildren. When I am not studying, I love to hike and swim. My two favorite places in the world are Yosemite and Maui.

Currently, I've been on strict induction trying to maintain 20 carbs per day. However, I eat more than what I think I do because I have been keeping track of everything I eat by weight and my carbs seem to average around 35 g per day. This time around I've also cut out all diet drinks and any low-carb bars. For about five days now I've also have not had any butter. I know that butter is allowed on induction, but I want to relearn to eat my food without it. One of my biggest stumbling blocks is drinking enough water which I am working on daily.

Well, there's a little bit about me. I started at 270 and want to get to 150. I'm sick and tired of being fat. Fat clothes are not as cute as smaller sized clothes. I want to be able to one day wear a pair of low-cut jeans. Back in my day when I was not overweight, those type of jeans did not exist.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning all!

I'm a tired puppy today. I worked a full workweek in 4 days and then yesterday went to dentist to get a tooth filled, had a pt appointment and rehearsal last night, along with a bunch of errands during the day. Gotta go get my hair done today and am debating hitting Costco to buy a new laptop and a tablet for dh. My laptop is dead dead dead and sharing one with dh is not working. He's saying he doesn't need a tablet and a laptop, but I think he will. I know I have both and there are things that are more difficult to do on a lap top (like typing a lot). I use mine for entertainment mostly. So here is the good news. My sciatica is pretty much under control and my physical therapist did not schedule a follow-up. I can come back if I need to. I went to the gym three times last week and am planning to go later today. Still struggling a bit with the remnants of this cold. I'm heading back to the dentist next week to have another tooth filled and a filling replaced. I won't have dental insurance after this month so I want to get stuff done while I have it.

L2L--Welcome. I live in the SF bay area. Hawaii is one of my favorite place, but I love the Big Island. Join us on this journey. We are a small group, but we have been together for a very long time. More personal attention. We do quarterly goals, with a new thread every month. Your goal can be anything. In fact, you don't even have to have a goal. We are here to support each other through it all. I've been up and down the scale. Sometimes more on plan than others. Same with exercise. I didn't start working out until 2 1/2 years ago when I joined a gym. I love the women in this group--they are very important to me.

Must get my day started. Have a good one all!
Old 01-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #29

Morning Slimmers!

Our family could use some positive thoughts and prayers in the coming days, weeks, months. Our DS did something stupid on Thursday. I dont want to go into details at this point. It has greatly affected him, youngest DD and myself. I am leaning hard on God and a few close friends.

I am down to 140 this morning which I am sure is due to stress. I am managing to stay on plan mostly due to not being hungry.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhhmom74 View Post
Morning Slimmers!

Our family could use some positive thoughts and prayers in the coming days...
to you and sending huge positive thoughts and prayers your way for you and your family.