Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChasingBulk
Stats: 218/211/176 (6'0",42)
WOE: IIFYM
Start Date: 1/2/2014
@Shiner45,

Glad you liked the post. That book is wonderful. I think what I like about it the most is that it certainly appears to be unbiased.

I'm taking a similar approach as you right now. I'm trying to make smarter choices and letting the cards fall where they fall.

I just started Paleo again last week. I feel so much better physically, although I haven't started dropping any weight as of yet. My body fat meter did read 20.2% this morning. I'm hoping that it will fall into the 19's soon.

I want to start doing Insanity again too. I tore my hamstring a couple of weeks ago while sprinting in my cardio class. I thought it was a minor tear, but yesterday, my wife was behind me, and yelled, "What happened to your leg!!!!"

I guess it took a few days, but I've got a huge diagonal bruise across my entire hamstring on my left leg. I'm not recovering very well, and it's certainly bumming me out, because I want to go back to class, but I don't think my leg will hold up yet.
ChasingBulk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2014, 04:12 AM   #182
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: huff576
Stats: 246.8/223.0/200 (5' 10")
WOE: Reduced carb, walking.
Start Date: May 2005, Reboot: Jan 2014
Monday Weigh In

Jan. 6: 246.8
Jan. 13: 245.0
Jan. 20: 239.6
Jan. 27: 235.4
Feb. 3: 230.8
Feb. 10: 228.0
Feb. 17: 224.4
Feb. 24 : 226.8
Mar. 3: 225.0

Loss: 1.8 lbs
huff576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Not inspiring anyone with these pics

Weight Feb 24th: 217
March 3rd: 214.2 (-3)

I just started the Primal Blueprint back last week. As you can see below, two months of calorie counting and busting your butt working out and doing cardio doesn't provide a whole lot of visible progress.

I'm going to keep posting these pics, though, because as my body builder friends used to tell me, "The mirror doesn't lie!"

I'd be all concerned about caliper readings, etc., and they'd tell me, "Look in the mirror. Are you still a fat *******? Then keep dieting."

Harsh - but effective....

I had two cheats this past week. One was intentional, and the other was not. Friday night, I poured myself a stiff drink and went up to the movie room and streamed "Big Trouble in Little China" off of Netflix. It was only the second time I've watched that movie, and it's not an Academy award candidate by any stretch of the imagination, but I enjoyed the heck out of it.

There was something about Kurt Russell's deadpan "What the hell?" statements when he would see something crazy stupid going on that I got a kick out of.

I made my 12 year old son watch the movie with me, and he was not impressed.

I'm definitely enjoying going back to a higher fat/less stressful mode of eating. Thinking back, just a few short weeks ago, I was measuring out broccoli and kale to make sure that my calories weren't too high. How stupid and ridiculous is that?

I mean, those are two super vegetables that are proven to do all KINDS of great things in the body, like fighting cancer and lowering bad estrogen in men, and I'm worried that I'm going to eat TOO MUCH of those items????? That's insanity.

My wife made a vegetable stew out of chicken thighs. She threw all sorts of things in there, like tomatoes, cabbage, squash, etc. It's wonderful.

I also made a beef curry stew using grass fed beef that I bought from the farmer's market. It's definitely a stew with "strength".

Life is good. I'm not happy with my pics, but they keep me accountable, and I'm going to bust my butt even harder this month. I expect Paleo to kick the crap out of calorie counting. Let the battles begin...
JanuaryToMarchProgress.jpg
Old 03-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #184
Senior LCF Member

If you want to know what I meant by a "beef stew with STRENGTH", watch the following clip, starting at the 50 second mark....

Old 03-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

Good job Chasing! 3 lbs stress free - sounds like a winner. I am running the same thing here. The last 1000 restarts I tried smartphone apps. They are great, yet the main data always reported when you log in and record the food log is CALORIES. Two to three days into my faithful logs, I started working to keep my Calories under some self-imposed ideal. By day 4, I would give in to temptations because I was hungry! I went straight after the richest carbs I could find (something I could eat that would give immediate gratification). That led to a downward spiral that could last weeks and even months.

Life is much simpler when I eat foods that have a low carb count and leave me satisfied. I am want to enjoy life and leave the accounting for others. The only number I am interested in now is those concerning my physiologic health and those concerning my clothing size.

One other note: I am really enjoying the Good Calories Bad Calories book. I have struggled with my weight since at least 8 years of age. At one point my parents enrolled me in a program sponsored by our local hospital. It met once per week where nutritionists and exercise physiologists would educate us on how to eat right and exercise properly. It was huge for me. I learned a lot and gained confidence that I could control my weight. However, as were the times in nutrition science, we were instructed to limit our fat and calories. I kept a food journal and we weighed in every Monday at our meetings (ironic that I now weigh in on Monday's here). I bet I never dropped more than 1-2 pounds and, more often than not, would gain a pound or two. That diet plan set a target of 1200 calories per day; way fewer than what a growing boy entering puberty should eat. CALORIES WAS THE ONLY FOCUS. Our breakfast, lunch, and dinner plate was to resemble the food pyramid of a majority of the calories coming from carbs, some from proteins, and as little fat as possible. When I went to school, trying to navigate those lunches in such a setting was impossible. The plan was doomed to fail leaving me feeling I was going to be fat because of genetics or some other reason that made no sense.

Luckily, I grew into my weight and my last few years of high school had a very normal weight. As soon as I got to college though, my weight exploded. I still remember when I hit my breaking point a few years out of college. I ate an entire bag of Doritos and downed a 2 L of Mountain Dew in the span of a few hours. Of course I went into a full-out carb coma and went to bed. The next morning, I stepped on the scale for some reason and saw 272 lbs. That spurred me to grab a carb counting book while shopping for groceries. I bought it mostly because it had food's calories listed. The only way to lose weight is to log those calories....Luckily, I read the preface of the book to find out what a net carb was. It also included a summary of the Atkin's diet. After reading it, the issue with carbs made sense to me. I gave the plan a try and was blown away when 8 lbs disappeared in a week. This continued week after week until people began to notice that I was losing a lot of weight. It is funny how people look at you like your face is severely disfigured when the ask "How'd you do it?" and you respond "a low carb diet". They usually act interested then walk away thinking you belong to some kind of cult.

Yesterday, I ate eggs, bacon, pork roast, cheese, brats, and some other stuff that would cause a cardiologist to send paramedics to my house. My weight went down. When I had life insurance blood work done during one of my sustained low carb lifestyles, my cholesterol was normal, my triglycerides were low, my fasting glucose was outstanding. It is hard to argue that a low fat diet is key to losing weight when it has not worked in my life. I often wonder if I will look back when I am older and regret what I am doing now. However, I see progress, I see good blood work and I have to believe that steering clear of junk carbs whenever possible is how I can reach my desired weight and maybe a level of health that seems to escape many in Western culture.

Last edited by huff576; 03-03-2014 at 07:38 PM..
Old 03-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Great post, Huff.

I wish that we were all created like that skinny guy that seems to eat anything he wants and gets away with it, but we aren't all created equal. You know yourself, and you know what works for you, better than anyone else does.

I remember watching an episode of Gilligan's Island and hearing Thurston Howell tell someone that the secret to losing weight was a high protein low carb diet. I was blown away, because I thought that stuff was relatively new. Then, later on, I found some Jack Lalanne shows on YouTube and he was preaching the evils of sugar. He was teaching a lot of the same stuff, and I thought, "Wow, the knowledge has been around for a long time, but it gets twisted by various marketers over the years to sell their products."

The truth is very difficult to find. People are constantly twisting it different ways to make money. "Eggs are bad - eggs are good - butter's bad, margarine is good - no wait - margarine has trans fats and is killing people - butter's good.... Oatmeal is good - no wait - gluten is bad - we need to be gluten free...."

This much I can say for myself - my body doesn't function correctly on wheat/beans. I get really bloated and have stomach issues for days. Is it the gluten? I don't know. Is it the beans? I don't know. But, after two months of eating wheat and beans, my body should've adjusted.

Thanks for sharing your weight struggles. It almost sounds comical as I write this, but mine started in kindergarten. Until then, I was thin. But, I was a good kid, and the school rewarded me with a nice paper smiley face if I ate everything on my plate, and so, hungry or not, I ate all of my food (including the spinach, which I hated) so I could obtain those unique yellow smiley faces. After a year of that, it was no longer a chore. In fact, I would go back for "seconds", which they had in those days....

Anyway, thanks for sharing that personal story.

I don't necessarily think the people cringing when they ask you how you lost the weight is limited to low carb diets. I think all weight loss solutions require sacrifice of some kind, and no one wants to hear that.

I had a guy from my church once ask me the same thing. He said, "If you don't mind my asking, how did you lose all of that weight?"

So, I said, "I work out with weights three times per week, and I do some type of cardio every day. I....."

He stopped me mid sentence and said, "Oh, that's OK. You don't have to tell me the rest. I thought if it was something EASY then I might be able to do it...."

I've had tons of experiences like that over the years, regardless of which diet I was on. The solution always required work and sacrifice, and the person wanting to know how I did it was always disappointed when they realized it required WORK.

I think it was Oprah Winfrey that staged a diet scam in a mall with a fake pizza diet or something like that. She had people lined up halfway across the mall wanting to know the secret. People heard 'pizza' and weight loss and were ready to jump on board.

I know - some people follow this, and hopefully this isn't offensive, but I don't think eating an entire pack of hot dogs and cheese every day and throwing away the broccoli because there are too many carbs in the broccoli is good....

I knew a guy that would purchase large pizzas, scrape everything off of them, and throw away the dough. The same guy would purchase fried chicken, fried in some type of trans fat, and peel the crust off. The same guy would not touch a fruit or a vegetable.

I think that we should all have balance. You shouldn't throw away the fruits and veggies, no matter what diet you follow.

I agree with low carb. Hopefully we can all keep our carbs high enough to have some fruits and vegetables too.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:09 AM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doug K
Stats: 229/195/140; goal: 30" waist (5'4" tall)
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 2011
CB: that burger video is epic. Speaking of John Carpenter movies with Kurt Russell, have you ever seen "They Live"? It stars ex-wrestler Rowdy Roddy Piper. Definitely worth renting. I haven't seen "Big Trouble in Little China", but I can't help thinking how much more entertaining "Escape From New York" and "Escape from L.A." would have been if Piper had played Snake Pleskin.

I weighed 199# this morning, the most in a year and a half. Ugh. Today is the first day without sugar or starchy food that I've enjoyed in quite a while. I laid in some low carb supplies yesterday, and finished off the junk food last night. What I had today:

bkfst: a cup of cottage cheese w/ a small chopped apple and 1/4 c chopped walnuts
lunch: 2 cheese strings, 1/2 c raw almonds, a cup of cole slaw w/ apple cider vinegar and mayo
dinner: 4 cheese strings, 3/4 c raw almonds, 1.5 c unsweetened almond milk

I have ground beef, ground turkey, chicken, bacon and eggs in the fridge, but I was too lazy to cook. Tomorrow, I'm going to make some chili with just meat, green peppers, onion, and tomatoes.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:32 AM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Welcome back, Doug K!

CB: that burger video is epic.

I have a nephew that's just like that guy in the video. He can lust and fantasize about food like no one else I know. I have had a Five Guys burger before while on vacation, and to his credit, they are pretty dang good...

Speaking of John Carpenter movies with Kurt Russell, have you ever seen "They Live"? It stars ex-wrestler Rowdy Roddy Piper.

I haven't seen it yet, but a friend of mine recently mentioned that I need to see it. I'm a huge fan of Roddy Piper and cheesy movies, so I'll definitely be renting it - perhaps this week. Roddy Piper is my favorite wrestler of all time. On Saturday mornings, there was a talk show that Mean Gene Okerlund would host. Roddy Piper supposedly got an email from Hulk Hogan's mom, written in crayon, with misspelled words, that said stuff like, "Please don't hurt my son...."

I wish I had that episode somewhere. Those were the days...
Old 03-04-2014, 04:35 AM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTIgrad
Stats: Hi:317.5 Current:255.8
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 12/26/2012
Jan 6 - 269.8
Feb 1 - 259.6
Mar 4 - 262.2

Still shedding some water weight I think from Hawaii. I dropped 4 pounds in the last 48 hours. Started zoning Paleo yesterday, holy cow its a ton of veggies. I had 5 cups of brussel sprouts last night. Put together a monthly training plan too.

Did my run yesterday, 3 miles with no stopping and held a pace that was just a bit slower than my last race (about :45 sec/mile slower) with a hurt foot. I think that right there is a testament to crossfit, I have run since before the wedding and I came out of the gate strong.

My Weight Loss/Triathlon Training Blog: Or Die Trying...

Last edited by CTIgrad; 03-04-2014 at 04:36 AM..
CTIgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shiNer45
Stats: 208 / 173 / under 170
WOE: Lower Carb, Insanity, P90X, etc
Start Date: August 10, 2004
Chasing Bulk, too bad about the hammie, it sucks, thats what halted me last year was the sciatica,

Day 4 done of Insanity, I was a pure mess today, between passing out or puking i wasnt sure which would happen first, luckily i only threw up in my mouth a bit and it faded to black just for a second

I was shocked today when i went on the scale and weighed in at 189 this afternoon, thats like my worst weight in the last 10 years when i first started low carb

Man i gotta get on this thing, im bummed out at that
shiNer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #191
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingBulk View Post
So, I said, "I work out with weights three times per week, and I do some type of cardio every day. I....."

He stopped me mid sentence and said, "Oh, that's OK. You don't have to tell me the rest. I thought if it was something EASY then I might be able to do it...."
Its interesting to me, that the more I read stuff in the Paleo/Primal/Crossfit vein, just about every person says no to cardio. Most are talking about running, but they all agree that for optimal health you have to give up those types activities.

The basic school of thought is that long cardio sessions (yes even low intensity ones) put enough stress on your system, for your body to hold on to fat stores and causes lots of inflammation. One guys podcast that I listen constantly to, advocates for exercising no more than three times a week, and gets some amazing results doing it.

Take a look at this: You Can’t Serve Two Masters | The Miss Fits

Thats not to say that if you enjoy them you should give them up, its saying that if you want to achieve the highest degree of health, you're going to have to. Personally I'm still running for the time being.

This new realization causes me a huge dilemma. I started this whole damn thing with the intent of doing an Ironman one day, and while I knew that running that distance of a race puts a serious hurt on your body, I planned to get a lot healthier along the way. However now that I'm in the midst of it, I keep asking myself why? Shouldn't my goal be to achieve the best health possible, not to go on some ego trip proving to myself and the world that I can run an Ironman? I don't know the answer to the question right now. Its nagging at me though.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

Shiner - Ain't no thing but a chicken wing! I stepped on the scale January 6 and saw what I thought was an error. Ease back in and step it up when you're feeling good.

Chasing - Love the video. Also, the "pizza" diet sums it up about right. "Tell me your secret - oh, I can't do that. Have you tried those fat melter pills from the Vitamin store? How about the $200 shake program that uses laxatives? I have had friends that have lost 20 lbs on that program."

CTI - Great picture. Who uses a corded phone these days? Nice workout plan. I have tried the plans using a website and the best I have done was 1.5 months mostly on plan. It helped give me a reason/habit to get my workouts done.

Last edited by huff576; 03-04-2014 at 04:47 PM..
Old 03-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
thats what halted me last year was the sciatica,
My wife has a sciatic nerve issue. She's been going to a chiropractor and swears that it's helping. It's super expensive, and I'm not convinced, but maybe it is. Only time will tell. I hope it's better for you now.

Quote:
Its interesting to me, that the more I read stuff in the Paleo/Primal/Crossfit vein, just about every person says no to cardio.
I think it depends on how you define 'cardio', because everyone's version is different. If you defined it by doing some activity where your heart rate is elevated for an extended period of time, then I agree, I think Paleo/Primal/etc. is against it.

If you define 'cardio' as taking long walks, or doing some other activity where you're burning calories but not putting a lot of stress on your body, then I think most Paleo programs do recommend it.

A friend of mine and I are always debating 'cardio', and inevitably, by the end of the conversation, we both come to the conclusion that we have different definitions of what 'cardio' means.

I haven't done any CrossFit workouts, but from what I have watched, I would classify them as HIIT (high intensity interval training), with resistance training and 'cardio' rolled into one super efficient workout.

So, it all depends on how one defines 'cardio'. Does cardio mean working in your garden, building up a sweat, or does it mean running a marathon?

We should definitely talk more on this subject, though, as it fascinates me. I think we both have the same goal of losing fat and keeping or gaining muscle. No matter what, if I do too much 'cardio' then it affects my muscle recovery in a negative way. I haven't found the secret to burning fat while not dropping muscle, yet. Well....I have several friends who have a sure fire method of doing that while simultaneously eating all of the junk food I want, but the methods aren't legal, and but I'm not willing to risk having to be on hormone replacement for life...

Quote:
"Tell me your secret - oh, I can't do that. Have you tried those fat melter pills from the Vitamin store? How about the $200 shake program that uses laxatives? I have had friends that have lost 20 lbs on that program."
Yep. And if you're anything like me, then you've known possibly hundreds of people that have taken the 'easy' route, gotten thin for like 6 months at the most, and then gained double the amount of weight back. The 'easy' methods never work long term.

I also know people that have taken the gastric surgery route. They've lost tons of weight, but in the end, only the people that clean up their diets get the best results.

For sure, I personally know a couple of people that had the gastric sleeve surgery. The doctor told them that post surgery they needed to eat a certain amount of protein/etc.

Did they do it? No. They're still eating Little Debbie snack cakes and drinking sodas, although the carbonation in the soda could technically kill them. And, even they've lost significant amounts of weight, and even though their stomach was supposedly the size of a pencil, and even though the hunger hormone was greatly reduced, their stomachs are now stretched back out, and they're either maintaining, or in some cases, gaining again. Are they exercising? No. Are they making even a slight attempt to at healthy? I'm not talking much here - maybe a vegetable a week? NOPE.

We either all have to figure out a lifestyle that works and we can stick to, or we don't have a shot.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

Checking in. Great day on the eats side. Had quite an appetite this evening but kept food intake limited on junk carbs.

Chasing: the easy route is easy to sell. I joined the YMCA a few years ago. They posted monthly use age near the front desk. January was the highest and then quickly declined by March. By summer and fall, few were there. It is easy to decide, hard to commit . I have the same issue in sticking to what I have proven twice. I am fortunate to have been invited to BCC where I can Renew my commitment multiple times a day.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:44 AM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 265/215.8/190 (6'2")
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Original 2/9/04 restart too many times
Good morning, boys. I've been AWOL lately, but have stayed on plan. I'm finally over what ailed me and am back to the early morning jogs. Life has been a whirlwind the last few weeks, but I'm getting through it.

It's good to see some familiar faces checking back in. Welcome back.
Not quite so Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:50 AM   #196
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning BCC. Good to see you are feeling better Big D.

Things are going well other than my scale will not budge. Of course, I have not worked too hard to get it to move down. Yesterday my appetite was big. I had the day off. Maybe this happens to you guys too, but when I have down time where I do not have specific tasks that have to be done, I tend to graze on food throughout the day and make bad choices in what I find. I would call my eating yesterday borderline bad.

Today I plan to stay on task getting things done that need to be done. Still have the day off, but I feel like I have enough to do that I can stay away from the carbage. I have some ribeyes I picked up for $2.99/lb yesterday. Going to grill those up as reward for good behavior.

Tomorrow the forecast looks very conducive for getting outdoors. Planning on dusting off the mountain bike and travel about an hour from here and do some trail riding. I am hoping that with spring here I can get outside more and make that scale move downward. I am really looking forward to warmer weather. It is time for winter to be done.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #197
Major LCF Poster!

Good Sunday morning campers. I have been listening to Taubes audiobook Good Calories and Bad Calories. It is intense in terms of delving into cellular respiration details. I have a biology background and so it has been thoroughly enjoyable. I am trying not to be too biased because I do subscribe to low carb (but do struggle to follow it as instructed), but is really helps establish why this diet works. If you have ever wondered why LC works or just need motivation to stick with it, this book is a winner. Taubes has a shorter book out that covers the same topics but in less detail called Why We Get Fat.

I had a great LC food day yesterday. Hamburgers and Ribeyes. The weather has been just warm enough with light winds that I can begin to grill again.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:17 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Monday Weigh In

Jan. 6: 246.8 (start)
Jan. 13: 245.0 (-1.8)
Jan. 20: 239.6 (-5.4)
Jan. 27: 235.4 (-4.4)
Feb. 3: 230.8 (-4.6)
Feb. 10: 228.0 (-2.8)
Feb. 17: 224.4 (-3.6)
Feb. 24 : 226.8 (+2.4)
Mar. 3: 225.0 (-1.8)
Mar. 10: 223.0 (-2.0)

Loss: 2.0 lbs
Old 03-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2000harley
Stats: 302/238/210
WOE: Atkins
Hello Guys....I am back from the Yucatan Peninsula (Mexico).

We had a great time and I ate and drank terribly while on vacation and loved every second of it. I did stay fairly active with the swimming/kid activities. I was at 238 when I left on vacation and today the scale said 241, so I gained 3 lbs.....not too bad. I am back to induction levels today and going to stay there for the next 2 weeks to clean my system out.
I don't know if any of you have ever spear fished before, but the guys did a half-assed bachelor party. 9 of us went out with 3 guides. My thought was that we would ease into things, but boy....was I wrong! We went out several miles and started at 35 - 40 foot depths. Then to 60 - 90 foot....then to about 120 feet. The only training was how to breathe and take deeper breaths so you could dive deeper. Within the first 5 minutes 5 guys were back on the boat and most were puking over the side. The other 4 of us tried our best to shoot fish and we actually got a couple, but nothing to write home about. Overall, it was an interesting experience, but I don't think I would ever do it again if invited. I felt a little bad about the guys that got sick and had to sit there in agony as we snorkeled around and tried to shoot. The groom didn't make it out as he was one of the 5 in the boat.

Keep Fighting the good Fight!

Peace!
Harley
2000harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #200
Major LCF Poster!

Spear fishing sounds fun. I can't imagine those depths! I dive to 12 feet and feel like my ears will explode.

Nice work on keeping your weight gain to 3 lbs. That is WINNING. Welcome back to induction.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

Checking in. I had the day off from work today. The temp in my area was 74 degrees - much above average for this part of the country. Winds were light too. I got out and soaked up some sun and hung out with my youngest child while she played at the park. When I got home this evening, I got on my bike and rode with my oldest around the area. We got off-road a few times and even had some VERY mild climbs. I cannot describe the high I have right now. After a brutal winter with so many days below zero, getting out today was a boost. I hope more of these days are in store.

I just heard a quote from my Good Calories Bad Calories book that I thought applied to anyone who has struggled with weight:

"We don't get fat because we are sedentary, we become sedentary because we are getting fat" AND "We are not lean because we are physically active, we are physically active because we are lean. Our bodies are predisposed to burn off the calories we consume rather than stash them away in our fat tissue".

Guys, I am amazed at insulin's role in weight gain. A lot of questions I have had in the back of my mind about the LC WOE have been put into a whole new light. I have found my motivation to get LC again.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #202
Senior LCF Member

Checking in. I'll weigh in tomorrow, forgot to this morning. Going through a bit of an identity crisis with triathlon/crossfit etc. I wrote up a pretty long blog post about it. The gist is that I'm not sure what I should do anymore as losing weight and getting to optimal health really doesn't fit well with endurance training. However I started this whole thing with the final goal in mind of completing an Ironman. So by going after optimal health, I'll be giving up on a goal, however if I stick with my original goal, I may never reach optimal health.

Ugh.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:53 AM   #203
Major LCF Poster!

CTI - good blog post. You really bring up some good arguments. I have been falling into the same camp as of late. I have busted my rear for a long time and have seen others I work with do the same. I have continually been told that the path to optimal weight requires I workout and eat less. Yet, I ultimately suffer setbacks due mostly to motivation an most importantly time commitments. I have since shifted my focus. I feel it depends how we work out and what we eat rather than just trying to cut calories while simultaneously burning more. A person I work with used to be gaunt cross country runner in high school. He now weighs over 260 lbs and probably stands about 5'8". He plays basketball on the weekends, he is swimming in the morning, he is doing aerobic workouts in the afternoon. He has lost 10+ pounds, but I question if all of that is sustainable over a long period of time. Working that hard and carrying that much weight is a recipe for injury. Further, his WOE does not exclude the highly refined sugars and carbs further hindering his potential to reach his ultimate goal weight.

I would not completely give up on your goal yet. Find a workout plan that keeps you moving yet respects your time. I would let Paleo do its work and keep that as your main focus. As your weight lowers, begin to level up your workouts that still fit with your schedule and your level of motivation. If you are not ready for the iron man the day of the competition, you are not ready. Maybe complete part of it. Maybe not do the iron man but enter into a moderate-distance bike race. I would find some aspect of iron man you can do and see where you stand a few months from now and readjust as necessary.

Yesterday, I was riding my mountain bike. Last year it mostly hung from the ceiling in my garage collecting dusting. I began to wonder if I would get back on it. Over Christmas, I had reached a point in my weight where I felt I might not ever get back to a riding weight. However, after some reading I changed some of my habits in a very moderate way and my weight is on the decline, albeit slower than I desire. The biggest boost coming from this is my motivation. I feel more capable of physical activity now because of my weight loss, not necessarily my fitness level as this time. I am still out of shape, but my capabilities are on the rise and as that occurs, I am going to begin to put in workouts that strengthen my cardiovascular fitness and core strength.

Hopefully I have not rambled too much. I am no expert, just speaking from what is currently working for me. I think you can still reach your ultimate goal. I remember a few years back where you and I were practically competing week-to-week on the poundage side. Maybe try that method again? Go to Paleo, try something like hot Yoga and give your body a chance to heal?
Old 03-11-2014, 06:37 AM   #204
Senior LCF Member

CTI,

When I use the word BIG here, I mean muscular/big frame - not fat. I can tell from your pics, that you're a big dude. You're ALWAYS gonna be a big dude, with a lot of muscle.

I have a friend that weighed around 165 in high school. He was pretty scrawny. Now, he's around 220 pounds with some fat, but he's also carrying a lot of muscle, and looks good, IMO.

He is obsessed with getting down to his 165 pound scrawny former self so that he can improve his run times. I absolutely think that he's insane. In order to do that, he's going to have to stop weight lifting completely and reduce his calories and protein drastically. He'll probably never reach that high school body again, but to think that he's willing to sacrifice health in order to reach some goal is insanity.

Good health starts with WHAT you're eating - not how much. What a lot of society doesn't understand is that you can be fat and healthy or skinny and unhealthy. I've had friends and acquaintances that had great body compositions die really young, and I've seen people with terrible body compositions all of their lives reach 80 or 90 years old.

So, I agree with Huff.

Health is ALWAYS the first priority. Focus on health. I too believe that Paleo is the healthiest diet out there. Make sure you have some resistance training and some activity that gets your heart rate up and burns calories. I think CrossFit probably covers both of those bases, right?

Get down to a good weight, and then the Iron Man challenge won't tax your body so much. The amount of stress you are putting on your body at your current weight is exponentially higher than it will be at your ideal weight.

I believe that you can reach both of your goals, but putting Iron Man ahead of your health is putting the cart before the horse.

Reach your ideal body composition/weight first, and then focus on Iron Man. You'll be a lot less prone to injury.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #205
Senior LCF Member

Gyno surgery....

So, I've made the decision to have my gynecomastia surgery. It's not an easy decision, because it is a huge investment in both money and recovery.

I'll have to sleep upright in a recliner for awhile, and I'll have to do things like pumping fluid off of the wounds, massaging them to keep the scars from developing improperly, staying out of direct sunlight for a certain amount of time, etc.

I've got another consultation on the 25th of this month, and I'm planning on scheduling the surgery mid April.

I'm not entirely unhappy with my current body composition, although I am hugely self conscious about my chest. I am eating healthy foods, feeling good, and enjoying life.

My biggest vice is social drinking. Alcohol is a poison and shouldn't be put into a body at all. I don't usually drink outside of social occasions, but I average at least two social drinking events per month.

I've only been to my cardio class once since tearing my hamstring three weeks ago, and my hamstring started acting up again after class. I'm going to lift weights today and going to try and do the cardio class tomorrow.

Regarding diet, the biggest challenge for me with Paleo/Primal is knowing when I am full. I tend to over eat no matter which diet approach I take. My second biggest challenge is making sure that I eat tons of vegetables. I'm starting to like them more, but I tend to not get enough of them. My favorite combo, right now, is kale with bacon.

I find this story sad. One of my in laws is a woman that works for one of the huge health insurance providers. She holds a very high position in the company, and is the women's anti cancer "Champion" for a major hospital.

She once had the type of metabolism where she could eat anything she wanted and stay skinny. She has put on a lot of weight, as she has aged. We attended a social event with her, and she said, "I'm going to a weight loss clinic, and they're giving me an appetite suppressant drug. Someone tried to get me to try the diet approach, but there's no way in HELL I'm EVER eating a vegetable."

Literally - this is a woman in her late thirties, and she hasn't eaten a vegetable. She does NOT eat vegetables - NONE of them. Vegetables fight cancer and do all sorts of wonderful things for our body. She's the women's anti cancer champion. She was on some local talk shows, talking about health.

Yet, she's going to take drugs to help her lose weight.

What's wrong with society????
Old 03-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

Good day of eats on my side. I really wanted to go after some Girl Scout cookies and then remembered how this would absolutely WRECK my progress for the next few days.

I think I have made it over that craving hump. I really did not have an appetite tonight. I ate some beef roast just to make sure I did not go looking for something easy later. I have been substituting coffee - both regular and decaf with heavy cream - as a "treat". I have consumed a fair number of grounds. It has a calming effect on my appetite (opposite of what it has on others that have seen around LCF).

Chasing - a pill for everything. That story is especially disturbing coming from a leader in cancer health care.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #207
Senior LCF Member

3-01: 264.4
3-11: 260.2

Heading in the right direction. Just cant seem to stay in the 250s.

You're right bulk, I will always be on the heavier side because of my muscle/skeletal structure, but for a guy that 5'9" I should still sit somewhere in the low 200's or high 100's. Giving up (or postponing) is just really hard. The mental side of it feels like a failure yet again. Add to that this will mean that my activity level is greatly reduced as I"ll only be working out 2-3 times a week tops.

However you're right in that I"m putting a ton of stress on my system. Hell I haven't ran since last Thursday and my knees still aren't to happy.

That blows my mind about the veggies. We as humans are lazy and want the easy way out. GL man with the surgery.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #208
Senior LCF Member

CTIGrad,

I understand the frustration of waiting. But, you're still young, and you've got a lot of time to reach those goals. Definitely don't give up, but take my advice, and LISTEN to your body. If your body is saying, "That hurts, man! Stop doing that!", then it's not your body being a wimp, and it's not you trying to be a wimp. There is good reason for the pain. I'm "preaching to the choir" here, because I'm famous for telling my body, "Shut up! You're just being a wimp! I'm gonna keep sprinting with this busted hamstring, and you're gonna like it, soldier!"

Trust me on this one, I've never won the battle between me and my body. It always says, "I told you so, but no you wouldn't listen...Now we're out for a month instead of 2 weeks...."

Again, I don't know where you're at with all this, but first of all, I'd increase your amount of low level activity. I realize that most "Paleo" implementations are against chronic cardio, but from my understanding, you're not a UPS delivery man, and I'm not really talking about "cardio". You sit at a desk all day long, just like I do, so the mainstream advice doesn't apply. Do some activity that you enjoy 3 to 5 hours per week, whether it's playing basketball, frisbee, walking a golf course, rowing your boat, etc.

Make sure that you're doing at least one HIIT session every 7-10 days. I prefer the "Sprint 8" protocol. To avoid injury, you can do it with an elliptical trainer, stationary bike, or you can go outside for an all out sprint.

Make sure that you've got some functional weight lifting with compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, rows, chin ups, bench press, etc.) two to three times per week, at the most.

Regarding food intake, first, make sure that you're listening to your body's satiety mechanisms. This one is really hard for me, because I tend to eat things just because they taste good rather than because I'm hungry. I also tend to push myself past full. Every time you put a bite of food in your mouth, think, "Am I really hungry? Do I feel hungry right now, or am I just eating this because it's delicious? Am I full yet?"

If you've implemented all of the above, and your weight has still stalled, I recommend coupling Paleo with intermittent fasting. It is guaranteed to work. It WILL work.

I like the "condensed eating window" approach, which is where you pick a time window out of the day and only eat during those hours.

The most popular window size is 8 hours, but I've seen some guys set theirs as low as 4 hours per day. You can set your time window to anything you want, but it's definitely easier to keep the same window every day, if possible, because your body adjusts to it.

For me, I would either eat from 11:00 am to 7:00 pm, or from 12:00 pm to 8:00 pm.

The trick is matching calorie intake with activity. If you're doing a lot of low level activity along with weight lifting, then it might create too much of a calorie deficit. I'm pretty sure that I added the intermittent fasting too quickly, but everyone is different.

I was walking, playing frisbee, or doing some type of activity, at least 5 hours out of the week, along with weight training 2 to 3 times per week, and a sprint session every 7 to 10 days. Looking back, I was pushing the weight training too hard, and I should've stuck with 2 days per week, but I had it in my head that I had to at least do 3 times to be effective, so I'd go to the gym with my body screaming in pain, just to hit that mark. I tore a bicep tendon, which took A LONG time to recover. I am right handed, but even 2 to 3 years later, my left bicep is still stronger than my right. Listen to your body.

IF, for some reason all of the above doesn't work, then SLOWLY condense your eating window even more. Drop it to 7 hours, then if that doesn't work, drop it to 6, etc.

I suspect, though, that like me, you won't have to get to the intermittent fasting stage until you get close to your goals.

I suspect that most of the problem is that like me, you are sedentary most of the time, because of your job, and there's nothing you can do about that. I keep toying with the idea of getting a walking treadmill, but I never do it.

There's some research that says when you sit all day that your metabolism completely shuts off, almost as if you are sleeping. I tend to agree with that. Why wouldn't it?

It REALLY sucks to have a sedentary job, but it pays the bills.

Good luck, take my advice with a grain of salt, but there's not a doubt in my mind that the above method will work. No one is immune. Stick with Paleo, and use low level cardio, HIIT, and most importantly, intermittent fasting to create a calorie deficit. Your body has no choice but to comply.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #209
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shiNer45
Stats: 208 / 173 / under 170
WOE: Lower Carb, Insanity, P90X, etc
Start Date: August 10, 2004
Day 12 of insanity dows, feel like im getting stronger finally, gaining weight though, gonna look further into why the next couple days, i am at maximum capacity now
shiNer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #210
Major LCF Poster!

Checking in. Great discussions happening here. I am learning a lot.

Today went well. I need to get walking again, but the eats were on target. I should cross below 220 in the next few days. I am going to look back to see how long ago it was when I was at this weight. Cravings are light, energy is high.