Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2000harley
Stats: 302/238/210
WOE: Atkins
Hello Gents!

Checking in on a absolutely gorgeous Wednesday here.....It sounds like that is going to change in the next 12 hours or so as they are predicting another 3 - 6 inches of snow and 45 mph winds, but I am going to enjoy the 30+ degree weather while it lasts.

My eats have been pretty good so far this week except for snacks. I have been eating almonds and pepperoni for snacks which technically is on plan, but I worry about the sodium and nitrates....what do you guys on low carb eat for snack? I could use different options.....or maybe I am over thinking it too much.

Bulk - I am glad to read that you may know why you have depression....I personally have never dealt with it, but have been around people who have and it seems like a hard thing to overcome. I like to look at things in a very positive light....I think it stems from my up-bringing which was completely the opposite and I told myself I would never dwell too much on issues out of my control. "Live for Today as there might not be a Tomorrow" is a motto I have tried to follow since I moved away from the negativity.
Thanks also for the heads up on the Lego Movie. My kids have been asking to go and see it and based on what you and others have said, I will bring them as soon as we have a few hours to spare.

Keep up the good fight!

Peace!
Harley
2000harley is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: huff576
Stats: 246.8/223.0/200 (5' 10")
WOE: Reduced carb, walking.
Start Date: May 2005, Reboot: Jan 2014
Big D - Hope you get feeling better. I have the same thing. When I am getting sick, I have a huge craving for everything unhealthy. Had that issue last night and sure enough I woke up feeling out of sorts this morning. Back on plan today.

Chasing - Winter weather gets me down. The lighting is different and I get sick more often. Combine that with the cold and dormant plant life where I live and I just lack the spunk I have in the spring/summer. I agree the meds are probably playing a role.

Harley - Similar forecast for our area. Just when you get a taste of what the outdoors can be, winter returns. My snacks have been shrimp and cheese sticks. I used to eat sunflower seeds (in the shell), but have not been in mood for them.

So, this morning up another 2 lbs.... I knew I would have to pay the price after last night. I still plan to post a loss for the week. I hope that is the last self-sabotage for a while.
huff576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:01 AM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 265/215.8/190 (6'2")
Start Date: Original 2/9/04 restart too many times
Still sick, but staying on plan sans exercise.

Day 4 (restart 2) - 2154 calories, 32 carbs, 16 fiber

Bulk - the first few days this week my fiber has been really low. It's tough to get in much fiber in the early stages of Atkins. I have to keep my carbs relatively low to lose weight. Yesterday I had a low carb tortilla, which bumped it up somewhat. In the past, I have reviewed it with my Dr. He said that so long as I stay regular and the tests at physical time keep coming back good, he's OK with it. I appreciate the concern, though, and am going to keep trying to add more fiber into the diet through more green veggies, avocados and nuts.

Huff - you and I are like twins, we've both had great success, but keep falling off the wagon and sabotaging ourselves. The key is to get right back on and not let one failure drag on. Easy words for me to say, but hard to live by.

Harley - snacks I like - nuts, celery with (or without) ranch or pimento cheese, cheese sticks, sunflower seeds, a slice or two of deli meat rolled around an avocado slice or either on their own. I buy bulk raw almonds and pecans and roast them myself to control the sodium. I can use a load less salt and add other spices to give different flavors.
Not quite so Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChasingBulk
Stats: 235/208/187 (6'0",42)
WOE: LeanGains
Start Date: 8/18/2014
Daily calories: 2460, Protein: 213 grams, fat and carbs wherever they land...
Workout: One hour of cardio daily, weight training 3 days per week

Harley - Yes, the Lego movie was indeed awesome. All four of my family members, including myself, ranked it at 9.5 out of 10, and my kids are really tough critics. It was good enough that if we had the time and money, we would've just sat there, watched a second showing, and could've laughed just as much, if not more. I'm taking the day off tomorrow to spend it with my wife, and we enjoy going to lunch together. Last time we went to lunch, I brought a food scale and measured and weighed my sashimi. This time, we're going to an Ethiopian restaurant, and I'm going to eat whatever I want and not think about it.

Saturday, we're going to a cool state park that's a couple of hours away, called the Enchanted Rock state park. We're hitting a really phenomenal breakfast buffet on the way, hiking for several hours, hitting a world class BBQ place on the way back, and then we're going to top it off by stopping at a vineyard/winery. Life is good, and I'll still post a loss for the week.

The weather in Austin has been absolutely gorgeous, which is helping my depression. I hired an online personal trainer several years ago. He was a national level natural body builder. One of his biggest questions each week was, "How do you feel?"

It's a super important question. Everyone is different genetically, and although a calorie deficit will work for everyone, the amount of carbs/fat one feels good on is certainly individual. Last night, I had 97/3 ground turkey thawed in the fridge and started getting nauseated thinking about eating it. I scoured the house for anything fatty - a nice greasy beef patty, a chicken thigh, a pork chop, anything.... We don't have any of that in the house right now, and it's super frustrating. My wife has a grocery list today of fatty/tasty items. I am still measuring calories, and I have computed a deficit that should give me a pound a week loss, but I have lowered carbs and raised fats. It feels good.

This entire week, so far, we've been hitting between 70-75 degrees and breezy. The trails are buzzing and so crowded that I have to constantly stop on my bike, but I get it, for sure.
ChasingBulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:53 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Paleo results

I was cleaning out my mail Inbox, and I found this photo from a couple of years back. I'm about 35 pounds heavier now than I was when this photo was taken.

These results were obtained from following the Primal Blueprint. I also had some adult beverages from time to time and some cheats.

I guess maybe my head is screwed up. I still thought at the time I was carrying way too much body fat, and I was very disappointed in my results. I think now that to get any leaner than I was would've required some calorie counting and perhaps some carb cycling.

I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm thinking about going back to that lifestyle. It's easy, it's healthy, and it produces fat loss.

paleoresults.jpg
Old 02-21-2014, 06:15 AM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Day 5 (restart 2) - 2065 calories, 38.2 carbs, 12.1 fiber

My sinus infection has moved to my chest. I feel a lot better, but have a lovely cough
Old 02-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Bulk - I remember when you were really lean not too long ago, but it seemed you were never satisfied with your progress. From my perspective, you had very little fat, but were so focused on getting 6 pack abs, that you didn't appreciate where you were. When you get back there, I'll be sure to remind you to keep your eye on the prize. You can still go for 6 pack abs (or whatever your ultimate goal is), but make sure you celebrate your success. Keep doing what works!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, BigD

You are correct. I wasn't satisfied. It was very much like an eating disorder. Please do remind me when I get back there.

Although it might be difficult to see from a front view picture, I have had gynecomastia since I was in the 7th grade, and I've suffered quite a bit from it, even into my adult years. I can't count how many people have mocked me over the years for it. I know that sounds surprising that even adults can be that cruel, but they can be.

I was thinking that when I got lean or hit a certain body fat percentage that my man boobs would go away, but they didn't, and I think that's the reason I became so obsessed with getting leaner.

I have plans for gynecomastia surgery, but I have to get much leaner, or at least close to my ideal body weight, before I have the surgery. If I have the surgery and lose another 30 pounds, then things will be out of proportion, and not in a good way. I'm trying to use the surgery as motivation.

Low carb dieting works for me. Maybe it IS the lack of insulin, or maybe there IS something magical about it, regardless of what the latest studies suggest.

Whether there is or isn't, I am much happier eating a steak with some broccoli than I am eating a chicken breast with oatmeal.

It never fails, that whenever I try to be precise and track my food and calories that I end up feeling bad, both health wise and mentally.

Six pack abs are not a good thing from a evolutionary perspective. They're almost useless, and for most men to get them, they have to have very little body fat, which the body isn't completely comfortable with.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have them, and tomorrow I'll want them again, but for now, I'd just like to look decent with my shirt off.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #159
Major LCF Poster!

Hey guys - checking in. It was a real bad week for me. I made a series of choices to eat a lot of garbage and then vowed the next day to work out and eat better. Here I sit on Sunday about 6 lbs up from Monday. I ate too much last night and had acid reflux about 4:00 AM. I was sitting in my Lazy Boy wondering why the hell I did that to myself. It is almost 1:00 PM now and I still have no appetite.

I had more time than I usually do this week. I decided to fill it by eating things that do not help one's figure. The only positive note is I am still diet soda free. I had some brief cravings, but luckily did not go all-in on returning to the bad lifestyle.

I wonder why we go back to the habits that get us in trouble in the first place? There is a strong connection to neurotransmitters and hormones, but I am always amazed at what little will-power I have when it comes down to cravings. I know that I am not alone in this quest to overcome addiction to bad habits. It just floors me how little control I appear to have when the going gets tough.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:33 AM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

Monday Weigh In

Jan. 6: 246.8
Jan. 13: 245.0
Jan. 20: 239.6
Jan. 27: 235.4
Feb. 3: 230.8
Feb. 10: 228.0
Feb. 17: 224.4
Feb. 24 : 226.8

GAIN: 2.4 lbs
Old 02-24-2014, 04:49 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member

2/17/2014: 212
2/24/2014: 217 (+5)

I had a great weekend with the family. I ate and drank whatever I wanted, and it was amazing how much mental stress my diet had been causing me that I wasn't aware of. Eating breakfast tacos at a buffet, and eating BBQ, with a beer at lunch, brought me a lot of joy. I also ate Ethiopian yesterday, which was fantastic.

The water weight should be back off by next Monday, and hopefully, I'll post a loss for the week.

According to my body fat meter, I haven't gained any fat. My body fat is still sitting at 20.7%, which is actually a little lower than what it was before I took a break.

For the next month, I'm going to take a "whole foods" approach. I will do my best to stick to the Primal Blueprint, although I might decide to have some oatmeal or beans, if I get the whim.

Regarding weight gain from a cheat or "carbage", or whatever....

So, for simplicity's sake, let's just say that most of us have a maintenance calorie intake of body weight X 12. For me, that would be 2604 calories per day that it takes to maintain my weight. Let's also say that for each pound of fat you gain that you have to eat 3500 calories over maintenance. This would mean for me that I would've had to eat 6,104 calories each day on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in order to put on 5 pounds of fat. There's no way that I came close to even touching that.

The weight gain from a cheat is due to water retention from higher sodium and higher muscle glycogen from the carb intake. Low carb diets lower muscle glycogen, which causes the body to hold less water.

So, as soon as you lower the carbs again, you lose the muscle glycogen and fluid and go back down to the weight before having the cheat.

I'm just saying that you REALLY have to try hard to gain fat. I'm not saying that we don't do it from time to time, but it usually takes more than a one or two day binge.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:52 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Old 02-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingBulk View Post
I'm just saying that you REALLY have to try hard to gain fat. I'm not saying that we don't do it from time to time, but it usually takes more than a one or two day binge.
@ Chasing: You are right on. Last week I hardly went off the deep end on Monday night, but I had 2 lbs of pure water appear. Did I eat good - absolutely not. I had some tater tots (yeah, great for a low carb diet). I knew the weight gain was water, but it played games with me mentally. I tried to eat really low amounts of Tuesday - ate too much in the evening and had some beers with my friends. Wednesday the eats were worse, Thursday was real bad, Friday and Saturday - ugly. Sunday - with acid reflux and remorse, I kept it real clean.

I think you made a good call living life this last weekend. It is easy to get into a obsessed/depressed cycle when daily life revolves around avoiding certain foods/situations just to keep the scale where you want it. I do all I can to avoid such foods/situations because I fear a lack of being able to hit the stop button. However, I usually end up feeling cheated at some point and, like so many others on this site, eat that crap anyway when no one is around.

You made a great point through your observations: recognizing what is water and what is fat may be key to progress. We are all in a hurry ($$ weight loss industry$$) to tip the scale in the desired direction when in reality this is a long-term process. If we have some days here and there that cause us to add water weight, then we have those days. The key is showing up every day with the mindset that we can stick to a plan and be willing to accept/correct the minor setbacks.

Here is to a good week where water weight does not hold us back!
Old 02-25-2014, 04:35 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTIgrad
Stats: Hi:317.5 Current:255.8
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 12/26/2012
I'm not awol, I swear. I was just in Hawaii for 9 days, and well a computer was not readily available on the beach.

Anywho, I'm back at it, 3 days back on paleo, frist CF workout is in the books. The countdown is on till race season, 25 days to go...
CTIgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:04 AM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

Good to see you back CTI! 25 days - unreal to think that we will finally be officially in spring by that point. I have already begun to see many runners training for the 5K/10K/Marathon season. Here it has been below freezing, but there are still a lot of people hitting the pavement.

What race are you running?
Old 02-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #166
Senior LCF Member

@Huff
Quote:
However, I usually end up feeling cheated at some point
Yes, I think this is definitely the mindset that we all need to change. Here is a prime example - less than a week or so ago, I weighed 209. This morning, I weighed in at 219 - 10 pounds higher. My body fat meter says that my body fat percentage is lower at 219 than it was at 209. My body is very susceptible to changes in sodium, and I can add 10 pounds of water weight overnight, which I seem to have done. And, believe it or not, my pants are looser at 219 than they were at 209.

I know that it's difficult, because society tends to be entirely focused on numbers. But, definitely the roller coaster emotions that are created along with that are not worth it or valid. For example, eating a 200 calorie donut could add a lot of water weight from glycogen fluctuations, but there's no WAY that eating a 200 calorie donut added 2 pounds of fat....

With higher carb diets, weight fluctuations tend to be more stable, but such is the life of a low carb dieter....

High: "I ate induction level carbs and lost 10 pounds last week!"
Low: "I drank one beer yesterday and added 10 pounds back! What's wrong with me????"
High: "I was good again, and I took the 10 pounds back off."
Low: "I slipped up and ate some 'carbage' again and undid all of my hard work....What's wrong with me????"

I'm trying to get out of the scale watcher mentality. When I lost 30 or 40 pounds on the Primal Blueprint, I didn't even know it was happening. I didn't get on the scale. I just followed the rules, and before I knew it, the pounds were off.

It's probably BS, but a lot of programs say that stressing over the diet can cause cortisol to rise and actually be self defeating, causing our bodies to retain fat. Who knows, maybe there's some truth to it.

At any rate, let's live life! I think your post from a few days ago is why I stopped measuring my food and started following the Primal Blueprint again. Since I've adapted that mindset, I feel so much better mentally. I didn't realize the amount of stress I was under going to restaurants and bringing a food scale, or going to someone's party and not eating anything because I couldn't measure or track it. As a lifestyle, it doesn't work for me.

But, the low carb lifestyle is definitely friendlier from a social aspect than calorie tracking, by far.

Thanks for helping me to get back on track and realize what is important.

@CTI,

Great to see you back! I've climbed back on the Paleo bandwagon. Hopefully I'll see the same results that I saw before, but I'll welcome any tips you might have.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2000harley
Stats: 302/238/210
Hey Guys. This will be my last check in before my Mexican Vacation with the family starts tomorrow.
I am planning on eating well but not necessarily on plan during the time I am away. I plan on having adult beverages but not go over board. I am guessing I will put some weight on, but should come off easily once back at induction levels for the 2 weeks after.

Keep up the good work and fight the good fight!

Peace!
Harley
2000harley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Chasing - another great post with great insight. I love the weight fluctuation example. I bet you quoted everyone that has ever done a low carb diet. The smallest thing can kill you on the scale.

I just went over to the Paleo diet website and liked what I saw. This goes to CTI too, but do you have particular recipes or do you keep it pretty simple? I found a great low carb recipe book that would be fairly Paleo friendly. I would like some new recipes.

I am going to try to get back to ample water. It seems to be a great solution to some of my eating issues.

Harley - have a great time dude! Maybe you can pack some warmer weather and bring it back this way.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #169
Senior LCF Member

@huff: I actually have a few planned out so far. My first one was supposed to be a few weeks ago but due to my sprained burpee foot I had to bail. Next one on the books is the Rainman Indoor Triathlon. Not quite a sprint but close enough. Nothing else planned till June, but I may stick a 10k in sometime late April or early May

@bulk What you said is 100% true. I was recently reading a crossfit blog post and they had a bunch of pics of women at different weights and body fat percentages. Some of the skinniest, buff chicks actually weighed 10-20 pounds more than their skinny size 0 counter parts.

This is one of my favorite pics illustrating that exact point:

With the sodium/water/cortisol weight gain thing, I hear ya. I bounced up 16 pounds after hawaii. Three days of eating clean and two workouts I've already dropped half that. I'm reading Primal Body - Primal Mind right now and listening to some podcasts about how cortisol/stress affects weight loss. What I'm getting out of it is that I'm screwed. Super high stress job, jacked up sleep pattern, and 2+ decades of adrenal fatigue is going to make my journey really difficult.

As far as tips and tricks... My days are usually booked pretty tight with little down time. Pre-made stuff is essential for me. I make spinach/sausage/egg cups and bake them in a muffin tin. Throw them in the fridge and two of those with some coffee is usually breakfast for me. We do a lot of crock pot stuff too which makes it easy. Lots of grass fed steak & pastured pig. I use my smoker a lot too, you can pick one up at the depot for about 100 bucks, best man toy ever. You can smoke everything from turkey, ham, roasts, ribs, just about any cut of meat you can stick in there. And the bigger cut the better. If ya want I'll post up a daily meal plan and that might make things easier.

Also, throw out everything that isn't paleo. Thats hard with kids and what not but it helps. Jason Sieb in a pod cast I listened to was talking about willpower and how we as humans use it. Its not like we have bunch of buckets of willpower laying around for work, exercise, diet, chores etc. We have one bucket. When that bucket for the day is empty, thats it. What that translates to is that if you have a tub of ice cream in the freezer and your will power runs out, you're most likely gonna eat the Mint Chocolate Chip. Whereas if you had to put your shoes on and go to the store to buy the Ben & Jerrys you're probably not going to do it.

How can you do this with other people in the house? Either a) get them on board with paleo (best choice), or b) give them their own pantry/spare bedroom of food. Put a lock on it, and give them the key. Not quite the same as going to the store, but its the hurdle of getting to the food that we as humans need to reinforce our willpower. Hell your kid might even dig having their own special food room.

But the more I read and research about paleo the more I buy into it as a true way of life. There are a lot of reasons we as humans are built genetically to eat this way, and the longer I eat this way the more health issues I had just seem to resolve themselves. I can write a lot about this. But seriously if you're interested, spend the 10 bucks on that book and read it. I'm two chapters in and suddenly all the things I kinda took with a grain of salt about paleo just fell into place and it makes sense now.

My Weight Loss/Triathlon Training Blog: Or Die Trying...
Old 02-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Quick check-in. I'm still on plan, but haven't been tracking my food. My sinus infection somehow turned into strep throat and an upper respiratory infection. I'm on some serious antibiotics and finally starting to feel normal again. I haven't been exercising as any strenuous activity has led to a coughing fit. I'm going to try again tomorrow morning as my cough is almost gone.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Chasing - thanks for the direction. I am going with the Gabriel method and move towards a Paleo food set. Also I love the Michael Phelps vid.

CTI : great advice. I like the lock away bad food idea. My kids could use healthier foods too. Going to try a family conversion first.

Big D: hope you get feeling better soon.

Started a new book today: Good Calories Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. Came up in an Audible search of Paleo . Should be a great reinforcement of why low carb works.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #172
Senior LCF Member

@BigD,

Hope you get better soon. Lay off the exercise and eat whatever you're craving. If you're anything like me, whenever I get sick, my body hates meat and loves carbs. There has got to be some type of physiological reason for it. Give you body what it wants, recover, and then hit it hard.

@Huff,

You asked for some Paleo recipes. I think every one of us has favorite junk foods that we crave from time to time. What is your fix? If you want, I can dig up the recipes to the items below.

At separate times during my Paleo walk, I have craved pizza, pancakes, fried chicken, and sweets, just to name a few off of the top of my head.

I made pizza using almond flour mixed with olive oil for the crust. My wife and I love it, and believe me, you won't eat a whole large made with almond flour!

I made pancakes using cream cheese and coconut flour. They were fantastic!

I made fried chicken using almond flour for the batter and frying the chicken in coconut oil.

I made chocolate mousse using heavy whipping cream, cocoa powder, and a splash of honey.

Probably my favorite "Primal" dessert is the simplest. I use a handful of berries, a splash or two of heavy whipping cream, some pecans, and some vanilla extract. You can also put a splash or two of red wine in there to make it really interesting.

My wife also made a Primal version of key lime pie using a mix of almond flour/coconut flour and some raw honey.

It all depends on what you are looking for.

Almond flour is pretty versatile. If you purchase it premade, it can get expensive, so we usually make our own.

We purchase a big bag of raw almonds, and whenever we want almond flour, we make only as much as we need in a small food processor. The pre made almond flour is usually defatted, but I don't find that it makes any difference, at least in the recipes we use it for.

My wife has been making a paleo stew lately with tons of colorful vegetables and either beef or chicken thighs in a crock pot. I love it, because it's delicious, and I'm able to get my vegetables without feeling like I'm suffering.

I have been looking for some Paleo Indian recipes, since I absolutely love spicy Indian food. Maybe I'll develop my own.

Another hint, is that in place of pasta, you can use spaghetti squash. My wife usually cuts the whole squash in half and boils the whole thing in a huge pot that we have. Then, you can scrape the strands off with a fork. It works great for pasta, and you could use it for anything with a sauce, such as the Paleo Indian dish that I'm going to find!

If you go Paleo, I'd advise that you also follow the recommended exercise programs. Food is only one of the items listed in the Primal Blueprint.

If you're gonna roll your own routine, as you're doing now, the Primal Blueprint recommended exercise should be pretty easy to follow. Three to five hours of low level cardio per week, with about ten minutes of sprinting every seven to ten days, along with some functional weight lifting two to three times per week.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

@Huff,

By the way, I haven't read the Taubes book, but I've heard great things about it. He's definitely well respected.

The best nutritional book I own is titled "The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth". It basically goes over 150 different foods and the health benefits of each food.

My wife and I love this book. She's probably purchased at least 10 copies for different friends over the years.

It contains tons of color photos, too, which I love. I've always loved picture books.

It certainly helps me to eat a food that I might not like to eat when I read, for instance, that a particular food has been proven to kill cancer cells.

I'll often play the game of "Which food is better for me?" when choosing what to eat. For instance, I do eat bananas, but I'll often prefer berries, over bananas, because there are more antioxidants and supposed benefits.

For me, at least, when I focus on health, the weight loss comes naturally, and is a byproduct.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Chasing - Thanks for the book title. I am going to check it out. It would be great for my kids to look through too.

Gained a great observation from Taubes book. It talked about how it is rare to find fat predators (diet rich in fats/proteins) in the animal kingdom. However, it is very easy to find fat herbivores (diet rich in carbs).
Old 02-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #175
Senior LCF Member

In that same vein, Google "sprinter versus marathon runner". Both the Primal Blueprint and the Gabriel Method tout the fat loss/muscle gain benefits of sprinting, such as either running from a predator, or being a predator.

I remember watching one of the Shark Week documentaries where sharks will actually spit out prey that isn't fat enough. If I remember correctly, they disguised something like a turkey to look like a seal. The shark hit it, and then immediately spit it out. I don't know how they know this, but they said that the shark wouldn't eat anything that was too lean, because it just wasn't worth it to them.

I wanna be a shark.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Some favorite paleo stuff of mine is:

-Bacon
-Spinach Egg/Sausage Cups
-Asian Chicken Thighs
-Bacon Brussel Sprouts
-Kalua Pulled Pork
-Sweet Potatoe Fries
-Coconut Flour Rolls

nomnom paleo, paleo pot and paleomg are a couple really good recipe sites for paleo.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shiNer45
Stats: 208 / 181 / 170-175
WOE: Lower Carb, Exercise
Start Date: August 10, 2004
hope everyones well, havent made time to check in here lately, will catch up on things this week though

Jan 2012 - 174.2
Jan 2013 - 173.6
Jan 2014 - 181.4
Mar 2014 - 185 WOW , that feels bad to type for me

highest weight i have been since i can remember

so now i am back in, feeling good, going to get it together this time

i havent had what i needed ever since i popped that disc on my sciatic nerve past april

my plan:

i am doing a 2 day cleanse this weekend , started this morning, also did an insanity exercise today as well, feel really outta shape, but these next 5 weeks i am only working 8 hour shifts and I believe that will be the key to my success

going to make good food choices, not necesarily low carb as per atkins, but smart choices, and try to cut out the overeating,

i have been successful with this as long as the exercise is maintained, that is where i fail in the end everytime

try to cehck in more often and post progress and take part in everything !

good March to you all !
shiNer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingBulk View Post
@Huff,

By the way, I haven't read the Taubes book, but I've heard great things about it. He's definitely well respected.

The best nutritional book I own is titled "The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth". It basically goes over 150 different foods and the health benefits of each food.

My wife and I love this book. She's probably purchased at least 10 copies for different friends over the years.

It contains tons of color photos, too, which I love. I've always loved picture books.

It certainly helps me to eat a food that I might not like to eat when I read, for instance, that a particular food has been proven to kill cancer cells.

I'll often play the game of "Which food is better for me?" when choosing what to eat. For instance, I do eat bananas, but I'll often prefer berries, over bananas, because there are more antioxidants and supposed benefits.

For me, at least, when I focus on health, the weight loss comes naturally, and is a byproduct.
love the post bulk, am going to look for that book for sure
Old 03-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #179
Major LCF Poster!

Great day of not eating much carbage. Looking to junk my carb cravings over the next few days.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #180
Major LCF Poster!

Day 2 of insanity down, not sure how i made it through, got my daughter to do it as well, to keep me going,

definately much harder with the extra weight i am lugging around