Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 05:26 AM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: huff576
Stats: 246.8/223.0/200 (5' 10")
WOE: Reduced carb, walking.
Start Date: May 2005, Reboot: Jan 2014
Monday Weigh In

Jan. 6: 246.8
Jan. 13: 245.0
Jan. 20: 239.6
Jan. 27: 235.4
Feb. 3: 230.8
Feb. 10: 228.0

Loss: 2.8 lbs
huff576 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChasingBulk
Stats: 218/204/187 (6'0",43)
WOE: LeanGains
Start Date: 8/18/2014
@Huff,

I thought I was going to make it out without any cheats yesterday with my Indian friend.

Here is the typical conversation:

Him: "You want to try a new Indian dish? Here, let me get you some."
Me: "No, I really can't. I'm on a very strict diet." (While I'm saying this, he has already put a bowl of something in the microwave and is heating it)

His wife is usually saying, "Leave him alone, he told you he is on a diet!", but it doesn't help.

So, the next time I go over, I am thinking that after the bike ride I will make some type of emergency up so that I don't have to go inside.

The problem, Huff, is that as you have said, your weight and tracking get really screwed up afterward. You can undo an entire week's calorie deficit with just a few cheats. When I eat something off plan, my weight can fluctuate 5-10 pounds, and it takes me another full week to evaluate whether what I am doing is working or not.

Here's the question that we all know the answer to....

Is it ever worth it?

I've had some fantastic meals in my lifetime, but I can't say even one time that it's been worth it.

But, it sure is a lot of fun in the moment.

Social situations are my kryptonite. Without them, I would've hit my goals a long time ago.
ChasingBulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 265/215.8/190 (6'2")
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Original 2/9/04 restart too many times
2/3/14 - 213.4
2/10/14 - 216.8

I had a pretty good week, but put on a pound a day for three days and then went up and down the rest of the week. Not really all that unusual for me, except that it came about a week later than in restarts past. This week I should re-lose those pounds and then next week will be a good number.

Day 33 - 2059 calories, 56.6 carbs (11.7 fiber)- no exercise
Day 34 - 2544 calories, 41.2 carbs (9.3 fiber) - 4 miles jogging
Day 35 - 1933 calories, 45.1 carbs (19.9 fiber) - 2.5 miles jogging

Stretched it out a little jogging on Saturday. I finally hit the zone, and I felt like I could have gone forever. Glad I stopped when I did as my feet and knees were a little sore on Sunday morning.

Bulk - I have the same problems, but I'm not good at resisting. I don't know why, but I've tired of trying to explain/justify my WOE, and often just eat a little of the bad stuff. That leads to me not being very social when I'm on a roll.

Huff - another good loss. Keep at it!
Not quite so Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2000harley
Stats: 302/238/210
Monday Check in:

2/3/14 - 238
2/10/14 - 238

Well, my big drop didn't last too long as I didn't net any losses this past week. I didn't drink enough water over the weekend and that seems to really affect (or is it effect?) my losses. I didn't exercise per se either, but I was out all day Saturday working on things (mostly snow moving) and yesterday I was sore, so I felt like I did. Everyone is healthy in the house again, so I am not sure what was up with my son.

We leave in 2 1/2 weeks for Mexico for a 7 day trip. My wife is in a destination wedding there and decided to make a family vacation out of it. I am not sure that I would do this to other people if I were getting married.....it is quite a burden/money commitment to put onto someone. Plus there is a reception back home in a month that will need to be attended and I assume another gift will have to be purchased. But, I am going with a good attitude and planning on having a good time.

Peace!
Harley
2000harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTIgrad
Stats: Hi:317.5 Current:255.8
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 12/26/2012
Feb 1 - 259.6
Feb 10 - 259

Nothing stellar to report in 9 days. Had a cheat pizza/beer meal to celebrate the end of the Paleo challenge. Still funny to me that even after all this time I 'celebrate' something by eating the worst food possible for me.

Anywho, I won the paleo challenge BTW. Not sure what prizes are, but I'm sure I'll find out soon. In those 30 days I lost 10 inches off my gut and just over 10 pounds. Not to shabby.

My Weight Loss/Triathlon Training Blog: Or Die Trying...
CTIgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

@CTIgrad,

Nice job! Ten inches off your waist is HUGE. When you couple that with the fact that you lost that in a month, it's absolutely crazy!

That whole 'celebrate with food' thing is deeply ingrained in us as a culture from childhood. My wife and I are trying to retrain ourselves to stop doing it to our kids. "Hey kids, you've just made a great job! Let's go get you an ice cream."

Valentine's Day is coming up, of course, so I'd say most of the nation is purchasing chocolates and/or going to dinner.

I purchased my wife a deep tissue massage that she doesn't know about.

When we would normally spend our money on food related rewards, we have been forcing ourselves to spend the same money, but not on food.

It's tough, though, isn't it?
Old 02-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Day 36 - 2044 calories, 28.8 carbs, 7.1 fiber - 2.4 miles jogging

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTIgrad View Post
Had a cheat pizza/beer meal to celebrate the end of the Paleo challenge. Still funny to me that even after all this time I 'celebrate' something by eating the worst food possible for me.
I do the same stinkin' thing. Bulk said it a lot better than me, but it's a mindset that I have to change. BTW - GREAT progress. You can really see a difference. I should have taken some before pictures for this restart so I could see and not just go by the clothes fitting better. Although it is quite rewarding to wear some of the nice clothing I got for Christmas that I couldn't fit into just two weeks ago.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:14 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Hi guys, I thought I would post the low carb/high protein pancakes recipe that I use. I think they're pretty good and also extremely filling.

Blend 4 egg whites, 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, 1/2 cup quick oats, and a tsp of vanilla extract until smooth. Use 1 tsp butter or coconut oil per pancake (makes 2)
Old 02-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Hey Fellas,

Nice work CTIgrad....you can sure see a change!

We haven't heard from Shiner for awhile.....Do you think Vegas Still Has Him (cue The Hangover music!). I remember him mentioning he had a trip there late last month.

Things are just rolling along here....nothing much to report new. Just staying the course.

Peace!
Harley
Old 02-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #130
Major LCF Poster!

Congrats CTI! 10 inches!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

Day 37 - 2537 Calories, 44.9 carbs (19.9 fiber) - 2.5 miles jogging

Quick check-in. Still doing good, but weight still steady. I didn't jog this morning as I was up half the night with a sick kid., and had to get the other one to school at 7 am. My wife has recently returned to the work force, so I don't get to just let her handle the overnight issues anymore.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Hey Guys....Checking In.

I was at my son's Blue and Gold Banquet (Cub Scouts) last night. I ate....OK....I think. The main course was fried chicken so I ate that without the skin/batter. I had a small portion of taco salad, some veggies and fruit. I should have stayed away from the fruit, but I was hungry and it really, really looked good. I was way over on carbs, but at least they were healthy ones.

My scale is pretty much staying the same....lose 5 lbs....gain 5 lbs. I am not too concerned as I am starting to tell that my clothes are getting a slight bit baggy on me and I am at the second to last hole on my belt and that is still a little loose.

Peace!
Harley
Old 02-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Checking in - so far a better week. I have not had the intense appetite I did last week. I rediscovered a favorite on the low carb list: shrimp. Buy the precooked frozen variety - thaw and chow. I am using cocktail sauce too - not low carb, but not horrible. I accidentally picked up the "hot" variety. I found it is awesome.

Completed a 3.2 mile treadmill walk while watching Captain Phillips last night. I enjoy watching movies because the time flies. It also keeps me from sitting on a couch and eating garbage.

Another success - I am still diet soda free. I still have a 24 pk of Diet Dew in the fridge, but absolutely no desire to drink it at this point. I know it is dangerous to keep it around, but if the craving does come back I would just go and buy more. Right now those cans are visible reminders that I do have will power. Diet soda free since Christmas.

Last edited by huff576; 02-12-2014 at 02:44 PM..
Old 02-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

Day 38 - 2484 calories, 29.4 carbs, 8.4 fiber - no exercise

Crazy busy day yesterday. Started off great as a major problem at work got resolved, but fizzled mid-afternoon as a new doozy reared it head.

Nice, Harley! I'm in the same boat as you the last two weeks. The scale might not be showing me the love, but my gut is definitely shrinking. I moved a notch in on the belt today.

Huff - you should try sriracha sauce on them shrimps. It's super flavorful and much lower in carbs than cocktail sauce. Also, Nice job on the sodas. I've not been so good, but at least I'm down to 2 or 3 a week instead of 2 or 3 a day.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Hey Guys.....Checking In.

Not too much to report....Just staying on track.

I went and bought V-Day Dinner supplies today. I am planning Cajun Bacon Wrapped Shrimp drizzled with ranch for app., Steamed Snow Crab and Broccoli for dinner and a lo-carb cheese cake for dessert....all on plan. My wife and I aren't real big on forced hallmark holidays, but I do enjoy cooking and having nice meals. We will probably share a bottle of wine and the kids will have some sparkling grape juice....just a nice evening at home.

Peace!
Harley
Old 02-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

The high price of cheating

For me, the biggest price of cheating is that it throws the tracking of my progress completely off. Also, I don't fully suffer from the effects of what I've done for three or four days when the food is digested.

I missed a cardio workout and a weight workout, I started taking creatine (which is known for to cause people to bloat), I had three cheat meals with my Indian friend, plus I tried to drown myself with rum on Friday night, so I don't feel that it's fair to say that what I'm doing isn't working just yet.....

The scale has been fluctuating wildly. Yesterday it was 209.6, and today it is 213. The mirror always looks the same to me no matter what.

Fortunately, I believe I'll be able to put in 2 solid weeks with no cheats. I don't have any social plans, and I'm angry enough at myself to refuse any of the food my Indian friend offers me.

Next week, if I don't see any results, then I'm lowering carbs by 10 per day. It's definitely difficult for me to take a conservative approach to weight loss, but I feel that I need to give a higher carb approach a fair chance, since I took the low carb approach and met my weight loss goals but didn't meet my body composition goals.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Dang Saint Valentine!

My wife wants to go to dinner and a movie tomorrow night, and she's not happy with the idea of my watching her and the kids eat.

She's thinking of one of those movie theaters that serve dinner while you watch the movie, and the least sinful item seems to be a grilled chicken breast. I have no idea about calories, but I'm guessing 300-400 max.

Dang Saint Valentine, and dang my wife for not understanding my mindset. Dang me for being such a wuss and giving in.

Dang!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

I am voting up Chase's St. Valentine comment. I am a weakling and don't need more reasons to blow my diet! I already had to no show on a pub gathering. Now I have to walk the high wire at dinner.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Epic fail -

I pulled my hamstring Friday while sprinting during boot camp class and had to sit out the rest of the class and watch.

I had my food completely planned out for the night. We went to see the Lego movie at a local movie theater that serves dinner while you watch the movie. We got there 30 minutes early, and it was booked. We traveled across town to another similar theater, we got there 40 minutes early, and it was booked. So, we wandered around from restaurant to restaurant until we finally settled on our favorite Italian restaurant.

Unbeknownst to us, they were serving a limited menu at double to triple prices, and although the food was good, it wasn't $100 good.

I'm feeling a little depressed right now because of my hamstring. I'm also feeling depressed that with all of this cardio/weight lifting work I'm putting in that the fat isn't flying off, but it isn't....

I'm sick of using my Omron handheld body fat meter, because one day it tells me that I'm getting leaner, and then the next day, it laughs at me and mocks me and tells me that it was all just a cruel joke. The scale is the same way.

So, I have now started using my Accumeasure calipers for tracking progress. I can pinch around 18 mm consistently, which measures me at 22.8% body fat. I'm going to start there and see what I can do.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #140
Major LCF Poster!

Chasing - I have taken a whole new approach to my current round of weight loss. I am not tracking anything other than my weight and my attitude. I eat when I am hungry and drink plenty of water. I limit carbs where I can, but when the option is not there or I do not feel like staying low carb, I allow it in. One of the biggest things I think is helping me is consuming good amounts of cold water. I feel great and don't feel has hungry when I am well hydrated.

This is my take on how tracking numbers impacted me. My other rounds of weight loss caused me to obsess over my calories, activity levels, and other B.S. that left me feeling like I could have more/less food. Having a single cheat would then "justify" me, in my hunger-crazed mind, to go on an eating binge because I already screwed up my calories and carbs for the day. This repeated almost DAILY for the last 5 years. I would get down a few pounds, then go back, then add some more.

I cannot say that this new method I have adopted will continue to work. I feel very fortunate that I have not had overwhelming cravings that have wrecked my progress. I just feel freedom by not bothering tracking what and how much. I let my stomach be the main judge of when I am eating too much. Next, I verify by my scale and how my clothing is fitting. Might be something to try.

On that note, I did go out for a Valentine's Day date with my wife (no kids). Went to a new-owner joint in town. I ended up ordering a 12 oz prime rib with green beans and a side salad with ranch. Even had half a slice of the garlic bread they served with it. Drank a lot of water too. Left feeling great. I usually leave such a place with an aching stomach and a fuzzy mind (when I eat too many carbs - I feel like I do when I drink too much beer - really weird). No issues last night. I ate well and felt great this morning, though I was not real hungry.

Scale-wise: I ate too much stuff on Thursday, Friday, and somewhat yesterday. The scale has been on the decline but has basically been frozen 3 lbs down from last Monday. I am hoping it moves back down today. I did have some pasta and salad for lunch, but other than that I have not been too hungry yet. SHOULD be a good weigh in tomorrow. I plan to walk on my treadmill and watch House of Cards season 2 while doing that.

Last, for the upcoming week I am again going to try to walk on the treadmill more. I also set a goal at the beginning of January to redo the P90 (the original Tony Horton Power 90 program) and work my way up to either P90X or P90X3 (looks like a great program) when I got my weight below 220. That could happen in the next week or two if I don't do something too stupid. I am hoping to build my fitness level up over time and be doing some pretty intense workouts by this summer.

Hope all of you injured get healed up soon. Stay strong.

Last edited by huff576; 02-16-2014 at 02:14 PM..
Old 02-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Got 5.2 miles in on my treadmill tonight. Had to watch back-to-back episodes. The toll to do so is 2 more miles.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:06 AM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Monday Weigh In

Jan. 6: 246.8
Jan. 13: 245.0
Jan. 20: 239.6
Jan. 27: 235.4
Feb. 3: 230.8
Feb. 10: 228.0
Feb. 17: 224.4

LOSS: 3.6 lbs
Old 02-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Monday weigh in:

I went to the gym today and worked out with heavy weights before the cardio class. The instructor took us outside today to do some workout that all of the other people in the class dread, called "The Hill". As it sounds, it involves doing a lot of things on a big hill. She had us run a lap to warm up, and less than 30 seconds in, I realized that my hamstring is just too messed up still to do anything, but especially not hill sprints. I left class and came home depressed because of it. Still, I'll walk on the treadmill tonight while I stream something off of Netflix. Maybe I'll try "House of Cards", Huff. I've heard great things about it.

The weather is beautiful right now in Austin. It's between 70-75 degrees. I wish I could make it stay this way year round, but the 100 degree days are coming. Yesterday, I rode fourteen miles on a mountain bike trail. I did it in an hour and 13 minutes, so I made good time.

Saturday we are going as family to a local state park called the Enchanted Rock to hike and explore. I have been feeling really deprived and depressed over my diet, especially with working as hard as I am and not seeing any real results. So, I have decided to take a diet break on Saturday and not think about it. Since I'm not measuring, I'm planning on staying low carb. There is a world class BBQ place on the way, and I'm thinking that life is too short to not experience some things.

@Huff,

Some of what you are doing sounds a lot like what I've heard of the "Gabriel Method". From my understanding, with the Gabriel Method, rather than go cold turkey with your diet, you slowly eliminate bad foods one at a time and replace them with something healthy, kind of lot what you have done with the diet soda.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingBulk View Post
@Huff,

Some of what you are doing sounds a lot like what I've heard of the "Gabriel Method". From my understanding, with the Gabriel Method, rather than go cold turkey with your diet, you slowly eliminate bad foods one at a time and replace them with something healthy, kind of lot what you have done with the diet soda.
Sounds right on. I will read up on that.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #145
Major LCF Poster!

Checking in - good day, OK eats, 3.2 miles on the dreadmill. Lots of H2O.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #146
Senior LCF Member

There is definitely something to be said in listening to one's body. I have been struggling with depression the last 5 days for no apparent reason, and my body is craving fat.

I've decided that starting tomorrow, I'm lowering my carbs and raising my fats. Sixty eight grams per day just doesn't seem like enough for my body.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning Guys,

I missed check in yesterday.....but there were no changes in the scale. I didn't eat completely clean all weekend (family and I snowmobiled to a little bar in the middle of no where....I had a salad and they had burgers and fries and my 6 year old daughter didn't eat her fries so I had to have some) and did enjoy some adult beverages too. My wife and I are going on a snowmobiling trip this weekend without kids with some friends so I am guessing I may indulge on a couple beverages then too in the evenings after.

Keep it up fellas......And Bulk.....get out of that funk man! Life is great!

Peace!
Harley
Old 02-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Harley - that sounds like a blast! Have a great time.

Chasing - I think the WOE is all about adjustments.

OK, so I woke up this morning and was up a few pounds. Odd. I was also craving carbs today so I ate more than I should. I am calling this evening an evening off. Going to enjoy a few drinks with friends and get back to the business of health tomorrow. I am confident that I can get away with this so long as it does not become habit. I love looser fitting clothing again. I want to keep that going.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:36 AM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Fell off the wagon a bit on Valentines day, and then an overnight trip with my younger son to see a Texas basketball game Saturday left me with a decidedly non-lowcarb weekend. To top it off, I came home on Sunday not feeling well and turns out I have a raging sinus infection. I am back on plan, but haven't exercised since Friday. I did not even try to track my food over the weekend

Monday - 1288 calories, 9.0 carbs (3.2 fiber)
Tuesday - 2162 calories, 13.6 carbs (6.0 fiber)
Old 02-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #150
Senior LCF Member

BigD - Sorry you're not feeling well. I always crave simple carbs whenever I'm not feeling well. I'll be honest - those fiber levels that you're posting scare the heck out of me. I don't know how your system operates on those numbers. Sometimes I hit 80 to 90 grams of fiber in a day. A good low carb option for fiber is okra.

Harley - After reading your post about having a good time with your wife and having adult beverages, I put things in perspective and realize that I can't enjoy life properly without having some food/alcohol cheats from time to time. It sure seems like you've got the proper perspective on life.

Huff - I lowered calories a bit and changed my plan somewhat. I am now getting 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight and eating in a 20% calorie deficit. I don't really care how many carbs or fat grams I'm getting, as long as my calories are correct. That seems to have help me drop some weight overnight. I'm hoping it sticks.

I think my depression might have something to do with some antibiotics that I've been taking. In late September of last year, I had three cysts removed from my back. One of the cysts was extremely large and left a pretty big hole in my back. It still hasn't healed completely.

I did go back to the dermatologist before now, but he told me to give it some time. I went back again about a week ago, and the old dermatologist that did my surgery had been replaced. The new dermatologist took a culture of my back to have it tested to see if there is some type of resistant strain of bacteria in the wound. She is also having me take a super strong antibiotic medicine, which is the combination of two antibiotics. This is the first time I've ever taken this in my life, and the potential side effects are pretty bad.

My back seems to be healing up, but I have 3 days left of antibiotics to take and then I'll visit for a reevaluation.

BTW, my wife and I took the kids to the Lego movie last night. It was the best movie I've seen in a long time - kid movie or not. I don't purchase many DVDs, but I'll be purchasing the 3D BluRay when it comes out.