Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 07:29 AM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 265/215.8/190 (6'2")
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Original 2/9/04 restart too many times
Day 17 - 2016 calories, 28.8 carbs (8.2 fiber), 2.2 miles jogging

Weight still dropping, and like Shiner, I can really tell a difference in how my clothes are fitting.
Not quite so Big D is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2000harley
Stats: 302/238/210
Hey Guys.

Checking in on a cold morning. School was late for the kids due to the -45 wind chill. I just got them on the bus and I am finally at work.

Still doing well on keeping the carbs low, but exercise was a no go last night. I got busy with some things and next thing I knew, it was 10 pm and I hate working out that late. I didn't sleep well so I should have worked out any way, but alas I did not.

Peace!
Harley
2000harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: huff576
Stats: 246.8/240.0/200 (5' 10")
WOE: Reduced carb, walking.
Start Date: May 2005
Checking in - Good to see the clothes are getting lose Big D. To me, that is far more telling than the scale. I did put my fat belt on its last notch today. It has been at least August since that happened. Squeezed into a size down pants too. Now I don't look like MC Hammer when I show up for work!

I am going to put in a couple of miles on the tread tonight. My hip flexor is sore from last night, but I think I could do a workout that is slower pace just to stretch it out. I had an above-mediocre diet day. Not major snafus, but not induction carb levels. Still staying away from the canned aspartame.

Up to page 3? Wow, I am enjoying conversing with the camp again.
huff576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Hey Guys....Checking in on a Friday Morning.

Things are going well here. Still at induction level carbs and plan to stay that way through the weekend to make sure I got all of that crap out of my system from last weekend.

Tomorrow is my son's Cub Scouts Pinewood Derby Car Races so I will be there most of the day. We took second overall last year (lost by .001 of a second over 4 races), so he made me promise we would really try hard this year since last year we didn't really do anything special to the car. I raced this new one against the one from last year and it killed it, so I am hoping it does well.....I always tell him that I hope we don't get last, but if we do, it was still fun building it together. He thinks it is going to win, but as long as he is a good sport about it, its all good.

I haven't noticed my clothes getting looser yet....Nice job Huff and Big D! I actually laughed out loud when I read the MC Hammer comment!

Have a great weekend and Stay Strong!

Peace!
Harley
Old 01-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Day 18 - 1,855 calories, 15 carbs (2.7 fiber), 2.2 miles jogging

I didn't realize I was low on carbs and cals yesterday. No wonder I was cranky last night.

My in-laws are doing some remodeling on their house, and they are staying with us while some of the work is being done. I get along great with the in-laws, but my wife and her mom tend clash when they are around each too much. That leads to me being miserable, cuz if the wife is miserable, I must be too! I'm dreading the weekend a little.

Too bad Ooba hasn't checked in for a while, otherwise he'd have an MC Hammer video for you, Huff!

Harley, we had our derby last weekend. The first year we made a car, I was hoping to just make it down the track. We actually made a really good car (thank you internet) and my son took 1st. That next year we had switched packs. My son expected victory again and I had to keep reminding him that it won't always happen and that we are doing it for fun. We ended up finishing top 10 that year, but he wasn't disappointed. However, he was afraid that I was upset, and felt the need to remind me on the way home that we were racing to have fun! This year, my boys each took second in their rank and third and fourth overall. There's another family that has boys the same age as mine, and their granddad builds amazing cars. He actually bought and built a track to test them on! They've won it every year they've been in the pack.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChasingBulk
Stats: 218/204/187 (6'0",43)
WOE: LeanGains
Start Date: 8/18/2014
My weight is still dropping at an average of 2 pounds per week, although the big drop was in week 1. I don't feel like my clothes are fitting better yet, unfortunately. I'm visibly losing fat in my arms and legs, but my stomach and chest don't seem to be going anywhere.

I'm going to start doing cardio 7 days per week and up my carbs and calories slightly to compensate.

My goal is to look like Shiner's April Fool's picture from a few years ago. My body fat estimate puts me there at 176 pounds, which is 36 pounds away. I'll be there by Christmas!!!!!

My biggest struggle is alcohol and social drinking. I haven't had a drink or any off plan foods since Jan 2nd, but I sure have longed for some....

So, BigD, are you trying to hit some type of calorie goal, or are you just tracking to see where you're at?

Keep up the good work, everyone. It definitely encourages me when I hear other guys succeeding and staying on plan. So far this year, I haven't seen any posts where people are continually falling off the wagon. I know that it will happen eventually, but I know that if you guys can do it, then I can too.
ChasingBulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Day 19 - 1937 calories, 21.5 carbs (2.3 fiber) no exercise

Bulk - not really any set goal on calories, but I generally stay around 2200. I'm trying to keep net carbs under 25 this week. I'm loosely following Atkins, so I'm adding 5 grams a week. I have to keep carbs really low to lose, so I'll probably peak around 40 net carbs.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Its Sunday evening and I decided to see what is going on at camp. Looks like a lot of us are staying on track.

Big D - You are crushing it! Good to see that.

ChasingBulk - I have the same issue with the social drinking. Just when I get on track I get invited to have a few brews. For some reason, it always leads to a 1-2 lb gain the next day even when I keep it to just a couple. I do all I can to avoid those situations when I am trying to drop weight because it is so discouraging.

Harley - that sucks that your son lost by .001 seconds last year. Must be a pretty legit track to get down to that level of accuracy. Back when I did that, it was a stop watch and the end result depended on how quick the timer pushed the button.

As far a MC Hammer pants - I don't know what the deal is, but when I have to pull out the fat pants the legs are always huge. The inseam also hangs low. It totally looks like the 1990s video without the bling.

Last edited by huff576; 01-26-2014 at 08:25 PM..
Old 01-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTIgrad
Stats: Hi:317.5 Current:255.8
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: 12/26/2012
Sorry I haven't checked in a few weeks. Been super busy. So paleo is awesome, loving the diet. I'm not (usually) hungry and when I am I grab some clean lunch meat to fill me up. Since the beginning of the month I'm down 14.4. Very little of that is water weight I'm convinced as I've also dropped 4 belt sizes and all my clothes are getting pretty big.

My crossfit box is doing a squat/burpee challenge so after a few days of doing both challenges I decided to do just our boxes one. Sorry dudes. Also signed up for the tour of sufferlandria and I start stage three tomorrow. Basically it's kinda like an online Tour de France where you have to log in for nine days straight and do a cycle work out that kills you. I hurt so bad.

Also kinda messed up my left wrist last week doing front squats and it hasn't been the same since. Been taking it easy but it hurts none the less. 18 days to Hawaii, can't wait. I'll try to catch up best I can. GL!

My Weight Loss/Triathlon Training Blog: Or Die Trying...
CTIgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not quite so Big D View Post
Huff - I found that the only way I can stay away from the diet soda is to just not have it around. I can't get past the attitude of it being carb free, so I can indulge. I let it run out at the house and told my office manager to not buy anymore for the office. I too am a coffee with HWC junkie, but only one or two cups in the mornings. HWC really packs a ton of calories.
With paleo soda is a no no period. My last one was Christmas Day and I haven't looked back. I've turned to sparkling water and kombucha.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:45 AM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Monday Weigh In

Jan. 6: 246.8
Jan. 13: 245.0
Jan. 20: 239.6
Today: 235.4

Loss: 4.2 lbs

Another good week. I have yet to see induction. I also need to get on the dreadmill more this week. This week is going to have some food challenges. My calendar is shaping up to busy in the day and evenings until Saturday.

Last edited by huff576; 01-27-2014 at 05:47 AM..
Old 01-27-2014, 07:19 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Jan 6 - 230.6
Jan 13 - 223.2
Jan 20 - 219.4
Jan 27 - 215.8

Another good loss for the week. Following my typical weight loss pattern I've established over the last decade, this week will likely be little to no loss. No matter how good I do, Week 4 never wants to give it up.

Day 20 - 2,395 calories, 54.0 carbs (2.7 fiber), 3.3 miles jogging
Day 21 - 1,978 calories, 21.7 carbs (3.0 fiber), no exercise

Way too many carbs Saturday, with more than half from alcohol. At least I stretched it out on the treadmill that morning. I got things back in line on Sunday.

Nice loss, Huff.

CTI - that's great progress. It's good that paleo works so well for you. Half of the battle is finding something that works, that we can stick to. Atkins has always worked for me, it's just been a matter of sticking to it. Also, nice work on kicking sodas. It's tough.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Jan 6 - 238
Jan 13 - 238
Jan 20 - 242
Jan 27 - 239

I am almost back to where I was before my major slip up. I have eaten completely clean other than some peanuts here and there. I was up at 5 this morning moving snow again. The wind chill was -55 F and man was it cold. I only had my eyes exposed to the elements and I think I got frost bite on the skin around them. The wind really was howling and drifted my driveway in....had to plow a foot or two and then shovel...then plow, then shovel. I only did enough to get the vehicles out, but it still took almost 3 hours.
My son won 1st place in his age group (Bear) at the pinewood derby races. He didn't get overall Grand Champion.....got 2nd again. The pack leaders son won, but it was another close one. He will be going on to districts in a month, so we will see how he fairs there.

Keep up the good work!

Peace!
Harley
Old 01-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Nice losses everyone!

CTI - congrats on sticking to the no soda rule. I have had a few sips of Coca Cola in between that time, but even that craving has gone way down.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Jan 6 - 269.8
Jan 13 - 268.8
Jan 20 - 264.4
Jan 27 - 262.6

Was up at 4am today to get in stage three of the tour of sufferlandria. Have crossfit this afternoon too. The knees are definitely not happy...
Old 01-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

My official weigh in is Thursday. I am taking monthly progress pics and will be posting them. They're not for you guys to lust over, so don't look if you don't want. I'm posting them to keep myself accountable. I'm crossing my fingers, hoping that a 7-8 pound loss will be visible in my photos.

Jan 2 - 218.2
Jan 9 - 213.6
Jan 16 - 213.2
Jan 23 - 212.2
Jan 27 - 211.0

Huff,

I love to socially drink, for sure. My biggest problem with drinking is that my inhibitions completely drop, and I'm so happy that I don't care about my diet anymore. I've literally eaten a whole half gallon of red velvet ice cream after a few beers. Once I sober up, I go into a depression, because of all the damage I've done.

You probably know this, but biologically, alcohol is a a poison, and it's your liver's job to get it out of your system as quickly as possible. Of course, your liver is also where fat is burned, but alcohol takes top priority, so fat burning is completely shut down while you've got alcohol in your system. It definitely sucks not being able to socially drink, but knowing that fat loss is completely shut down keeps me clean (most of the time)

So, CTIgrad, are you doing the lean meats only version of Paleo or a higher fat version? I'm a supporter of Paleo, in that doing the Primal Blueprint got me down to my skinniest self ever.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingBulk View Post
So, CTIgrad, are you doing the lean meats only version of Paleo or a higher fat version? I'm a supporter of Paleo, in that doing the Primal Blueprint got me down to my skinniest self ever.
We're just sticking to clean paleo foods, while trying to get to an even split between carb/fat/protein and about 2000cal a day. I just picked that number out of thin air, but it seems to be working. If I go over I dont worry about it. We're going for all organic grass fed too, so the food bill has been a bit high the last couple months. I think its worth it though.

Im usually closer to a 45% fat 25% carb 30% protein balance but I'm trying. Today I'm almost dead even on all three.

My crossfit coach wants me to do the zoned paleo, but after looking at it its a ton of work and I dont think I'm ready to jump that far in yet.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:10 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning Guys,

Just a quick check in.

Eats are on target and I am counting all of the snow shoveling as my workout yesterday. School has been cancelled again today for the kids due to the cold, so I am working from home today to stay with them.

Have a great day!

Peace!
Harley
Old 01-28-2014, 07:15 AM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Day 22 - 2550 Calories, 28.6 grams carbs (2.7 fiber) - 2.1 miles jogging

Good day until I had two glasses of wine with dinner. Unnecessary calories, carbs and time away from fat burning.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:17 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Harley - how cold is it there? It must be well below zero as we're in the teens with this latest arctic blast.

Bulk - did y'all get more ice/snow down in Austin?
Old 01-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not quite so Big D View Post
Harley - how cold is it there? It must be well below zero as we're in the teens with this latest arctic blast.

Bulk - did y'all get more ice/snow down in Austin?
The actual temp is -22F. The wind is 9 mph so the wind chill (feels like temp.) is around -42F. She's a bit brisk out there again today.

Harley
Old 01-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Big D,

We have a little ice, but we didn't get very much precipitation, and it's almost all melted. Last Thursday was much worse, and the roads were treacherous. Either way, the kids have gotten their second day of excused school absence in less than a week, so that makes them very happy.

CTIGrad,

Your food bill will DEFINITELY go up eating Paleo. I can sympathize with that. I think standard Paleo is less fat than you are taking in (lean meats only) and also allows beans. I was following the Primal Blueprint which shuns beans but allows for as much fat as you want, as long as it's coming from good sources (coconuts, grass fed anything, organ meats, etc.)

I never tracked my calories or macros nor had to. I did as much weight training and cardio as my body would allow me to, which wasn't as much as on a higher carb diet.

On the positive side, I lost 40 pounds or so and got down to around 13% body fat. On the negative side, I lost tons of strength and around 16 pounds of muscle. I don't know if that was a side effect of the low carb diet or a side effect of losing that much weight, as dieting is catabolic no matter which way you do it.

So, I'm trying something different this time around. I'm going with a high carb/high fiber diet and tracking calories/macros. Right now, I'm taking in around 300 grams of carbs per day, and I'm dropping 1-2 pounds per week. I'm hoping that by keeping my carbs higher I'll be able to retain some muscle and perhaps even add some back.

My calorie range is around 2500 per day. I'm doing 1 hour of cardio 7 days per week along with 3 weight training sessions.

I'm with you - I wouldn't worry about zoned Paleo. If you're getting good results, which you seem to be getting, why change things? If you hit a wall, then you'll have a new trick up your sleeve that you can try.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:20 PM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Guys - Checking in. I am feeling hungry tonight, yet I am not necessarily hungry. Maybe they are just cravings. I am trying a new strategy of replacing my lunch with a protein/low glycemic fruit smoothie due mostly to the convenience of not needing to pack a lunch. It also frees up some mini-splurges for later. Logic says I need to add more protein or increase my eating frequency, but I do not feel hungry from about 12:30 - 4:30. I am sticking with what is working. It is hard to argue against -4 lbs/week right now.

It is a little late, but I am going to bust out some time on the treadmill. It will at least keep me from grazing.

Chasing - I enjoyed reading your last post on the Paleo. I look forward to seeing your progression. Good info.

Last edited by huff576; 01-28-2014 at 08:22 PM..
Old 01-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Day 23 - 2153 calories, 29.8 carbs (3.6 fiber), 2.3 miles jogging

Still rolling. Weight has been way up the last couple of days for no apparent reason. Hopefully it will drop back down before Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000harley View Post
The actual temp is -22F. The wind is 9 mph so the wind chill (feels like temp.) is around -42F. She's a bit brisk out there again today.

Harley
Holy schnikes! That could lead to some shrinkage. 12 here this morning, which would be downright sweltering for you.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Hello Guys,

Everything is still on point. I too am up in weight again, but maybe it is just retaining water or something.

The weather is supposed to warm up today a bit, so I am planning on getting out after work to move some more snow as we are supposed to get another 3 - 6 inches overnight and I have no where to put it.....this winter is getting long.

Have a great day all and stay strong!

Peace!
Harley
Old 01-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Checking in. Found out why I as hungry last night - sick today. This happens every time I get sick - massive appetite the night before.

There is a stomach illness going around our area that hits hard and fast. Needless to say, I have no appetite. Should look good on the scale today.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:30 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000harley View Post

Harley
I dont miss the upper midwest at all. I'll take my soggy northwest rain anyday. LOL
Old 01-30-2014, 12:39 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingBulk View Post
Big D,

We have a little ice, but we didn't get very much precipitation, and it's almost all melted. Last Thursday was much worse, and the roads were treacherous. Either way, the kids have gotten their second day of excused school absence in less than a week, so that makes them very happy.

CTIGrad,

Your food bill will DEFINITELY go up eating Paleo. I can sympathize with that. I think standard Paleo is less fat than you are taking in (lean meats only) and also allows beans. I was following the Primal Blueprint which shuns beans but allows for as much fat as you want, as long as it's coming from good sources (coconuts, grass fed anything, organ meats, etc.)

I never tracked my calories or macros nor had to. I did as much weight training and cardio as my body would allow me to, which wasn't as much as on a higher carb diet.

On the positive side, I lost 40 pounds or so and got down to around 13% body fat. On the negative side, I lost tons of strength and around 16 pounds of muscle. I don't know if that was a side effect of the low carb diet or a side effect of losing that much weight, as dieting is catabolic no matter which way you do it.

So, I'm trying something different this time around. I'm going with a high carb/high fiber diet and tracking calories/macros. Right now, I'm taking in around 300 grams of carbs per day, and I'm dropping 1-2 pounds per week. I'm hoping that by keeping my carbs higher I'll be able to retain some muscle and perhaps even add some back.

My calorie range is around 2500 per day. I'm doing 1 hour of cardio 7 days per week along with 3 weight training sessions.

I'm with you - I wouldn't worry about zoned Paleo. If you're getting good results, which you seem to be getting, why change things? If you hit a wall, then you'll have a new trick up your sleeve that you can try.
Paleo if you're following it strictly has no legumes. So beans are out (as well as peanuts). There's a couple of interesting podcasts out there about weight training and fat loss/health. Take a look at the incredible fat burning man, that guy is a stud and super smart too. You're right that standard paleo wants a lower fat %, but there is lot of info out there about being in a slightly ketogenic state (not as far as LC puts you) and the rate at which your burn off fat. I think if I lowered my fat % i'd end up being hungry on 1800-2000 cal a day. Plus I'm getting it from good sources (like you said); almond butter, grass fed beef, free range eggs, pork belly (like bacon without the nitrates), and almond/coconut milk.

Adding in more carbs scares me as I've only known LC for so long. But it seems to be working and I've found that I love brussel sprouts. Dudes you gotta trust me on this one. Cook them with some bacon and they are like candy. I had 250g (almost three cups) of them tonight with my steak and it was delicious. Be warned they will haunt you a few hours later...

Doing crossfit I'm gaining strength/muscle faster than I ever have. My dead lift is somewhere in the high 300's (we had to stop for time but 360 felt easy), and all my other olympic lifts are leaping ahead. I'm loving the format of the class too.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:38 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

@CTIGrad,

That's some pretty good deadlift numbers. If you're gaining strength AND losing weight, then you're in the sweet spot, and you're obviously golden. I've tried measuring body fat in all sorts of ways, and they're all pretty inaccurate. I think it's pretty certain that if your lifts are going up and your weight is dropping at the same time, then you're gaining muscle and losing body fat simultaneously, which is every lifter's dream.

You're correct, you shouldn't change anything at all, including adding carbs. Two thousand calories is not much for a guy your size, so I'm surprised you're not feeling hungry on that calorie level, even with the fats you're taking in, but results don't lie.

I'm not sure if a higher carb approach will get me better results either, since I've never validated any approach completely. My problem is that for whatever reason my lifts plummeted on Paleo. I dropped from benching 260 x 6 to benching 150 x 6 at the end of my weight loss. My training was the same as it had always been, but there was something about the lowered carbs that my body wasn't adjusting to.

I had the "Atkins flu" constantly, and my body just couldn't seem to get out of that state where it was using fat efficiently for energy instead of carbs. Also, I would get these sweet cravings for simple sugars, and I it was like an itch I couldn't scratch. I would try to just go eat tons of bacon or sausage to scratch it, but in the end I would just get sick or overeat, and the sweet cravings were still there.

I also had some kind of crazy alcohol craving, which I think was somehow linked to the sweet craving.

I definitely like Paleo as a lifestyle. It didn't get me completely where I wanted to go, which is 6 pack lean, but then again, I'm not sure at my age or with my genetics that anything will.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:54 AM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Day 24 - 2384 calories, 20.1 carbs (1.7 fiber), 2 miles walking on treadmill.

No jogging yesterday or this morning. I tweaked my hammy Tuesday night and I want to be careful with it. I don't want to break a good habit, so I'm still going to get up every morning and get on the treadmill, even if I just walk.

Huff - get better soon. Being sick and trying to eat lowcarb is rough.

CTI and Huff - Love these conversations. It's interesting to hear about other's knowledge and the success they are having.