Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 02:56 AM   #241
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by shykins View Post
Slow come join me at mine, it is essex tho so maybe bit of a trot loll
I'm a quarter of a mile away from the Essex border at one point So, much depends on which side of Essex.

Mimosa, are you making the eggwhite bread (keto adapted) or one of the protein powder ones? Both are interesting and feel completely decadent after being without for so long. I don't know whether ovens in Germany have top and bottom heat like US ones or if the heat is from the back, like UK ones - anyhow, I've had very different experiences with the timings because of this (if you're using Maria E's recipes).

I don't know what German egg sizes are like but I've found that UK ones are larger than US sizes and cookery writer Rose Levy Beranbaum semi-confirms this. RLB gives the weight of the liquid eggs in her recipes (a reason I admire her work) and whenever she says a large US egg, it's 50g which is approx. the contents on a medium egg in the UK. I'm just mentioning this so you can gauge the amount of mix you will have (I've made a long loaf and 12 medium rolls from a ME 12 egg bread recipe).

Kissa, I was sorry to have missed Corialanus, I had kayaking practice and the schedule clashed.

Nov 2014 A DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2014, 03:50 AM   #242
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Slow, thanks for the tips!
I have also found UK egg sizes to be different. I think I'll make the recipe how she says, and then I can always improvise if it isn't completely right, LOL!

Our oven has all sorts of different settings, so I should be ok.

xxx
Old 01-31-2014, 07:27 AM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lola5k
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins/JUDD
Start Date: Atkins 2004/JUDDD Feb 2012
Well done Mimosa with the appointments glad that its working for you.

Ha ha...we got a big pork roast this weekend as well similar to the SH...cannot spell it sorry..but the pig roast that they have in Germany lol.

Busy trying to buy new net curtains for the new windows...yes I know I am still old fashioned with that...don't like people staring into my house but how difficult is that...most places want to order for you and it takes up to 2 weeks...what! I remember when you used to just go in and get there and then...so may have to put old one's back with some special poles...so exciting weekend ahead lol

Everyone else have a good weekend.

One goal at a time. One pound at a time. One day at a time
Old 01-31-2014, 07:34 AM   #244
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola5k View Post
Well done Mimosa with the appointments glad that its working for you.

Ha ha...we got a big pork roast this weekend as well similar to the SH...cannot spell it sorry..but the pig roast that they have in Germany lol.
LOL! Schweinebraten? Or like suckling pig: Spanferkel?

ITA on curtains! I find it really 'dresses up' a room as well, adds warmth too.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:39 AM   #245
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shykins
Stats: 262/147 goal
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 19th April 2004
lola re nets we had the same problem so went online and ordered from a place called tonys textiles and they came in 2days!!!!

slow thankyou for those tips i had no idea our eggs were different sizes and u know i didnt even realise the ovens cook differently!! oh and place is near maldon so i think a far way from u lol

mimosa hope the "appointments" go well

x
Old 01-31-2014, 04:30 PM   #246
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Ikea do a nice pair of old fashioned net curtains, but is it worth the agony?

Well done on making the gym commitments Chloe. And I am pleased the department is moving in the right direction.

Feeling like myself again! Yay.

Spent the day in Southed with DD and her DH. He will be 67 tomorrow and proudly tells everyone that I am going to be the same age in June... But we had a good day.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #247
Senior LCF Member

lol Schweinebraten? I think its pronounced Schweine haxen? Or similar..but that's the one lol. It been in for 6 hours and will have done around 10 by the time I have finished. With roast vegteable...but I won't eat too much of that as trying to keep UD's LC. Not Red cabbage or Saurkraut...yuk don't like that lol.

Well I soaked the nets in a little bit of bleach and vanish then washed and do you know they look like new. So as I like them I have decided to keep them cos we are downsizing in the next couple of years anyway and they would have cost around £100 to do the whole house. Rails have cost £40.00 so shall stick with the old nets and see.

Yep on an UD today but as I said keeping low carb and not going mad. I think its too easy to go mad on an UD. so see if it starts kicking in for me. Been on 2 weeks and not lost a bean yet..bit disheartening but Slow said it can take 2 - 6 weeks to kick in so not going to give up this time.

Gym this morning and worked my little socks off.

Its really really windy today and I hope that no one is flooded out? The lakes and rivers near us are full to bursting but think we will be OK although we do live at the bottom of a hill lol

Hope that you are all having a good weekend...

Last edited by lola5k; 02-01-2014 at 07:50 AM..
Old 02-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #248

Glad the nets cleaned up nicely.

It is lovely to see the sunshine here, walked into Hampstead this morning, lovely. Had a cheese and onion toasty and booked to see the new Coen brothers film tomorrow afternoon.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #249
Senior LCF Member

Isn't it just. Today was like a Spring Day for a while.

Hope that you had lovely day with DH on his birthday. You look fab and I am sure that he does. Keep using the face cream and you will OK... I swear by mine!!

Last edited by lola5k; 02-02-2014 at 12:52 PM..
Old 02-03-2014, 01:59 AM   #250
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

lost 3lbs this week, thats a total of 13 since xmas... ooh so close to a stone

off to try the new health club today!!!

hope everyones had a good weekend

x
Old 02-03-2014, 02:05 AM   #251
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Brilliant, Shy! Well done! That’s amazingly fast progress, even allowing for a few quick water pounds at the start.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:14 AM   #252
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know!!! I keep saying to hubs "are u sure??." Lol
Old 02-03-2014, 02:46 AM   #253
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola5k View Post
lol Schweinebraten? I think its pronounced Schweine haxen?
Ah, Schweinehaxen, delicious!!!! Nice and fatty too... YUM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Feeling like myself again! Yay.

Spent the day in Southed with DD and her DH. He will be 67 tomorrow and proudly tells everyone that I am going to be the same age in June... But we had a good day.
LOL on DD's DH! Hope you had a lovely day with them and I'm glad you are feeling like yourself again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shykins View Post
lost 3lbs this week, thats a total of 13 since xmas... ooh so close to a stone

off to try the new health club today!!!

hope everyones had a good weekend

x
Shy, that is excellent!!! Congratulations, you are on a roll!!!! Hope the new health club was nice.

Ailuros, Juno, Mint, Jan, Aitch, and everyone else, I hope you had a lovely weekend. It certainly was fabulous weather on Sunday wasn't it?

I have gotten up the courage and stepped on the scales this morning, and I thought I'd not see much of a difference, but I've lost over 12lbs since I started again in Jan! I'm really surprised!

I had a really good session at the gym on Friday, and spent a lot of time walking in the sunshine this weekend, it was like spring! The bulbs we planted in November also seem to think so, LOL! Lots of little heads peaking out of the earth already.

Did lots of cooking on the weekend as well, made the keto bread, which came out perfect! Also made bone broth and had some nice monkfish wrapped in bacon... Life is good! (I posted a thread with pics of all my culinary achievements this weekend on the Nutritional Ketosis boards)

Here's the menu for today:

B: BPC with whey
L: buffalo mozzarella with tomato and basil and olive oil
D: cheesy scrambled eggs with a side of saurkraut.

Off to my back rehab class this evening as well.

Have a good start to the week, everyone!

xxx

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Old 02-03-2014, 02:48 AM   #254
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gosh, Mimosa, you & Shy are both melting!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:09 AM   #255
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yay well done mimosa, we are in a roll, long may it continue!!

All signed up for new place will make me work harder I think as got too comfy at old place
Old 02-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Mimosa and Shy

I love your recipes Mimosa. Made a huge clagging of your cauliflower soup. Lush lush

Last edited by lola5k; 02-03-2014 at 01:28 PM..
Old 02-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Junoesque
Stats: Size 18-20/14-16/12
WOE: Atkins. Ish.
Start Date: Re-started 1 January 2006
Hello all!

Kissa, I am SO sorry about your friend, but glad you had a good time with Martin and Tonda (bet you coughed really loudly every time he mentioned age...) and sending HUGE hugs from the banks of the Rhine!!!

Shy - wow, that's an amazing loss! Congratulations! And all the best with the new health club.

Mimosa - ditto . Respekt! I'm glad you've got rid of one of your disruptive colleagues - hooray! - but I will admit to having a bit of a giggle at
Quote:
Hopefully the last one left who is a problem will realise that they need to pull their pants up
... OH the mental pictures

Lola - MMMMM, Schweinehaxen!!! NOMNOMNOM!! And fresh net curtains! And gym energy - FABULOUS! (PS have never before come across "clagging"!! Local?)

Slow - interesting about egg sizes - thanks! Don't know what it's like in Mimosa's neck of the woods, but here, well, they're just "egg"-sized... no messing around with S, M, L etc Good thing I don't bake, huh? Can't be bothered with weighing stuff - hence LC

Ailuros, looks like you're doing wonderfully. Steady is great. How's life otherwise?

Who'd I miss? Sure there must be someone. Apologies to whoever it was, and hello to any lurkers!!

Had a very irritating day, trying to get a bit of video together as an audition for a new opera (in England!!). Intro (non-singing) went OK but reviewing it, I have a noticeable tights-waistband gruesomeness going on Then the singing bit went belly-up (oops, haha, not intentional!) at the last moment due to my genius accompanist feeling utterly rubbish & cancelling. Now I am feeling slightly feverish and raw of throat, and praying I don't get lurgified before tomorrow because I really really want this part and they need video by tomorrow evening!!!

Otherwise, well at least January finally turned into February. And I can't complain about the weather (oh Englishness, why have you deserted me??).

Juno x x x

Last edited by Junoesque; 02-03-2014 at 03:48 PM..
Old 02-04-2014, 01:23 AM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Morning everyone. I found this amazing site and if you look for Broccoli protein bread you should find it. (Not allowed to name names) But its amazing and the video looks so easy for the bread. There are gluten free, dairy free, paleo blah blah recipes If all else fails PM and I.ll send you the link.

Sorry dashing to body pump will catch up with personals laters alligators xx

PS Juno...dunno where clagging came from maybe DH cos he comes from the North you know....lol. ....no offence to anyone from the North BTW..
We always use it when we make loads of anything maybe it might be a word that could go Viral tell all your friends lol....hope that the throat and virus goes away..plenty of Vit C...maybe too late though...or whiskey...that is always a good temporary stand by but then you probably won't be able to stand or sing either ha ha.

Last edited by lola5k; 02-04-2014 at 01:30 AM..
Old 02-04-2014, 04:37 AM   #259
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Juno, I’m doing quite well thank you. In fact, I’ve got enough energy that sometimes I’m bored. I might have to start doing something useful. So far I’ve managed to expend it on buying new clothes in the January sales.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:49 AM   #260

Wow, Shy, Mimosa, amazing losses. well done both of you, keep it up. Hope the new gym is fun.

Lola, love 'clagging', I know I have heard it somewhere before, but not as a term for loads of stuff. This will now drive me mad all day....

Juno, yes lots of distraction moves going on while SIL announced our age to all and sundry.

How irritating about the video. We want you to get the part too. Love to think of you working in the UK for a while. Hope the lurgie doesn't develop and that you can get a good audition piece done in time.

More sunshine and I am off to the gym shortly. first time in a couple of weeks and I won't be getting there much this week either as family from Devon coming to town for a few days and we will be swanning around with them.

On Sunday evening we are throwing a Fizz Up February party for the neighbours. Our dear friend is still in a coma, but her daughter came to supper last night and we agreed we should go ahead no matter what. She was a great one for social occasions so it seems the right thing to do.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ack-juddd.html
Old 02-04-2014, 06:48 AM   #261
Senior LCF Member

sending for your friend Kissa x
Old 02-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #262

Thank you Lola, sadly there will only be one outcome. One of her daughters has a holiday planned in Argentina starting later this week. After much deliberation with her sisters they have persuaded her to go. Such a hard choice.

Well got most of the party food this afternoon. Keeping it simple this time.

Also did a long overdue Lakeland shop, used my £5 off coupon, usually I forget all about things like that, except at the big supermarkets. Of course I bought things I don't seriously 'need', but it is so tempting in there.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:12 AM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Kissa I hope that you enjoy your purchases...this is the problem they temp us into the shops..."Oh yes and I.ll just get one of those and do I really need it"...we all do it. lol.

Wet windy day here so hold onto your hats.

Becoming inspired with Mimosa's cooking tips, don't seem so enamored these days especially as my children have left home.

However my son has been making a lot of protein bread lately and I had some Chocolate flavoured whey to use up and found this recipe on the net. Personally I don't like chocolate very much (yes I know lol but I don't). Anyway I made yesterday afternoon and it does taste delicious. Good protein desert for a JUDD UD of protein and fat for low carb.....around 154 cals in each slice. I used less than half the amount of sweetener though cos again I don't have a sweet tooth..so adjust to your taste buds...enjoy

Protein Bread

• 3 eggs
• 250 to 300g cottage cheese/full fat/mascarpone (whatever you like)
• 3 tablespoons carob or cocoa powder (I used low cal choc drink powder)
• 80g oats, finely ground
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 scoops chocolate flavour wheyprotein powder
• 5 tablespoons honey/alternative sweetener (I used half the amount in of the recipe in mine)
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Method
Prep:10min › Cook:20min › Extra time:20min resting › Ready in:50min

1. Beat the eggs in a bowl and add all other ingredients. Put the baking powder in last, and leave the mixture for 20 minutes so the oats can soak.
2. Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Grease a 30cm cake tin.
3. Take a blender and blend the mixture in the bowl until smooth and looking like melted chocolate. Otherwise, it won't become such a dense cake and there will be lumps from the curd. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until a skewer inserted near the centre comes out clean, about 20 minutes.

It sliced up lovely I might experiment and put walnuts etc in next time. Kissa also suggested Coconut Flour for gluten free so will try also cos DD and partner are gluten free.

P.S I wasn't sure if it was half a teaspoon of baking powder or one/two so used one. It rose quite a bit and kinda split out so am sure that half is enough and my oven being new and seems quite powerful so again for me 180 seemed better temperature to cook it. Anyway if you try I hope that you enjoy.

Last edited by lola5k; 02-05-2014 at 01:15 AM..
Old 02-05-2014, 01:21 AM   #264
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kissa u can't help it cos Lakeland is SOOOO Tempting lol

Lola I might give that a try but I only have vanilla whey, I tried a loaf a weekend in bread machine which was a partial success

Juno nice to see u, hope u get the part!!

Had lunch at ds college yesterday, he waited on us lol. Needless to say the diet got somewhat broken with the most delicious choc torte which was deep dark and rich. All cooked and served by a bunch of 16/17 yr olds.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:31 AM   #265
Senior LCF Member

Shy I think I would like to try with vanilla whey or another flavour as as I said chocolate not for me...but it does taste nice. Taking a bit to work for lunch lol.

Don't need to mess with bread making machine for this whack in the oven for 20/25 mins and voila. I turned my oven down from 200 to 180 about half way through as was worried it was very hot and top might burn.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:32 AM   #266
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hope the video worked out in the end, Juno!

All this Lakeland talk makes me realise I need to go there. We need a roll of waxed paper. I wonder what else will end up in my basket?
Old 02-05-2014, 03:31 AM   #267

My dear neighbour finally died yesterday evening. Her youngest daughter was with her which was so wonderful, they were very close. Although sad it is not a tragedy. She was 93 and had lost her sight and mobility. She was much loved and will be sadly missed.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:34 AM   #268
Blabbermouth!!!

Cindy, my thoughts are with you and your neighbours' family.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:37 AM   #269
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

93 was a good age lets hope they are comforted by the thought of her having had a long happy life
Old 02-05-2014, 05:26 AM   #270
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Even when it’s expected and at the end of a long life, it’s still hard to lose people we care about.
Closed Thread