Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 05:16 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Shy, pain is horribly debilitating. And even tho' weight loss can help, it does feel like the last thing to which you want to devote your energy at a time when pain makes doing the simplest thing a huge production involving planning the multiple small stages that would allow you to turn over in bed or stand-up or just switch on a light.

I have absolutely no idea what might suit you - apart from something that is very simple to implement and, once it's set up, requires negligible planning. Would the Newcastle Diet be overkill for you or is a VLC just not suitable?

HNY to you, too, Mimosa. I'm utterly charmed by your rationale for making photography into a hobby to justify the outlay on the super camera. Is Germany mostly sheltered Stormfront Hercules that's crossing the Atlantic from the US?

Although there are surfers following the Hercules Storm for a chance to take the waves around Morocco, Portugal and Ireland, it seems there are also some paddle teams who are likewise hoping to go out in the storm front. (I'm a very keen paddler.)

I completely understand the excitement because the storm is offering XXL potential as it's technically a 'larger than perfect storm'. (For those of you who recall the book and film, it's more powerful than the Atlantic’s infamous and deadly “Perfect Storm,” aka as the Halloween Nor’easter of 1991. This is a storm for the record books.) However, it's also feeling a bit like the end of Point Break, despite the allure and the siren call of the sea, there are some fronts that are deadly rather than just an extreme challenge.

Lots of rain forecast for tonight. When I get home, I might go out and clear some brash from the nearest storm drains (although that can't do anything about the debris that is already inside them).

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2014, 06:07 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shykins
Stats: 262/147 goal
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 19th April 2004
thanks guys u are so supportive i am determined to stick with lowcarbing and may even combine that with 5:2 (or 4:3) in a couple of weeks

yes i do have voice activation but its no good for forum posts (unless anyone knows of something else??) also i still have to hold the laptop/ipad to do it. sorry i know i am being a moaner but this arm thing is really affecting me

lots of short posts for me, sorry for no individual replies

x
Old 01-06-2014, 06:54 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Junoesque
Stats: Size 18-20/14-16/12
WOE: Atkins. Ish.
Start Date: Re-started 1 January 2006
Ah, Shy, I'm so sorry!! Big hugs from here. Could you maybe open a new window to some programme where voice activation works, then cut & paste? Good luck getting back on track - am doing the same :-) I think it would be a great idea to stock up on those aspects of low-carbing you love (in my case, it's fat on meat - dratted difficult to come by over here, believe it or not!). I work better when thinking I can indulge in things I like, rather than being restrained from eating in any way...

Mimosa - hey the camera sounds great! Any particularly interesting lenses? It's such a wonderful pastime, you don't need spurious grounds for it :-) Enjoy! And nope, the weather here thinks it's spring, and with friends all over the world reporting dire weather conditions, I'm feeling a bit guilty!

SlowSure - am interested to know what exactly paddling is - sounds like fun. Cold, but fun :-)

Ailuros, I'm impressed by the weight, and very glad to hear you are winning the battle of the hormones!! Hooray.

Kissa, I agree with Ailuros that any carbs in Sachertorte are cancelled out by decent coffee ;-) Glad your Devon place is unaffected!

Everyone else, hello and hope you're all safe!

I managed a decent weekend, carb-wise, although maybe a few beers slipped through the net on Friday evening (but missing the last bus home and having to walk back surely cancelled those out, LOL). And a brunch at a decent restaurant yesterday was far better than usual in that respect - I ignored all the pastries and dived into bacon, sausage, eggs and beans. AHHHH the full English. How I miss it :-)

Off to a costume fitting now. TROUSERS!!! Argh. However, with black satin bustier and black leather jacket, I can work the look :-)

Ciao, Juno x
Old 01-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Shy, don’t worry about personals, just drop in with a line when you can manage it.

Juno, I’m 5' 2" and not a very big build, so the weight isn’t extreme. It is very nice to be back more or less in my comfort zone though. Just a bit weird that it all happened while I was bundled up like the Michelin man and didn’t notice what was going on under all those layers.

Mimosa, I love taking photos. Have fun with the new toy! And don’t forget to show us some of them.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #35
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
That reminds me Ailuros, you and Juno are both wonderful photographers! You could get some great tips from them Mims.

Shy never feel the need for personals, and short is good, but you know how checking in here daily helps.

Slow, yes this storm has been terrifying, and my lovely sister is on a ship going through it, well, trying to avoid it by travelling south, actually. They left Southampton on 3rd and couldn't enter port at the Azores, too dangerous. I had an email today and fortunately both of them are good sailors, but no one is allowed on deck and there are a lot of poorly people on board. After seeing All is Lost yesterday, it doesn't make me too excited about our trip up the coast of Norway next month, lol.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janj
Stats: 150/139/133 (5' 6.5")52 years old
WOE: LC
Start Date: May 2003
Nice catching up on everyone's news. Sorry you're in so much pain, Shy. It must be hard not to let it get you down Mim and Juno sound to have been through some suffering too. It's a timely reminder to me, that tho we all want to be at our 'perfect weight', ultimately our health and being free of pain are so much more important…….

Wish I could come along with Kissa or Mims to see The Northern Lights. I hope you will tell us all about the experience.

Ailuros, amazing to stay the same weight over the festive period. You have really cracked this!

Hope all of you in the UK stay safe during these horrible storms.

Hi to Lola, Mint and SlowSure, and anyone else reading.

As for me, my first 6 days back on LC have gone pretty well. I'm not doing induction, but am reducing carbs and including a small glass of wine each night to make it a sustainable for me……so far, so good. Down a couple of pounds to 136 this morning. I want to be 130 again by the time my daughters both make me a grandmother in March! (just 10 days apart in their due dates!). I would like to be a glamourous gran!

Have a good week everyone.

Jan
Old 01-07-2014, 12:51 AM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Slowsure, we don't have any Hercules problems here. It's a little gusty at times, but nothing major, and I'm too far inland for any flooding or any real storm. Maybe on the north coast here in Germany there may be problems, but I doubt it. I would sooner think on the Dutch coast there would be problems... Sending good thoughts to all that are affected by this weather!

I will definitely ask lots of questions regarding photography, once I figure out what to say in English! I am learning all this stuff in German, so I have no clue what most of it is called in English, LOL! It's like not being able to explain certain work stuff in German or Dutch, because I learned it in English! I'm weird like that... Anyway, I will definitely bug Ailuros and Juno once the time comes for photography questions! At the moment I'm still being amazed at what the camera is capable of.... I have a standard zoom(12-32), a 1:1.7 20mm and a medium range (45-150) telezoom... I am thinking for now, especially for someone like me who is an absolute beginner, this should be enough... BF thankfully is a bit more of a photo buff, so he's trying patiently to explain it all to me, and I got myself a really good book too. We are thinking of doing a weekend course to increase our knowledge too, but that's for springtime, so after our trip.

Jan, how's the cold there? I hope you aren't freezing too badly! From what I've read and heard/seen on the news it's pretty extreme weather!

Well, nothing much to report, so hi to everyone!

My menu today:

B: BPC
L: BPC
D: BF is making some kind of yummy oven dish. With pasta for him, with cauliflower for me!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/

Last edited by Mimosa23; 01-07-2014 at 12:54 AM..
Old 01-07-2014, 12:56 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jan, I think you’ll be the most glamorous granny around (though I don’t imagine the grandbabies will worry too much about that ).

The lenses should be fine. It’s probably best not to have lots of different lenses while you’re getting used to the camera. I still find the multiple lenses are more of a distraction than a help, and often take just one fixed length lens when I go out, so I can concentrate on seeing things and not on picking lenses.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:01 AM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
The lenses should be fine. It’s probably best not to have lots of different lenses while you’re getting used to the camera. I still find the multiple lenses are more of a distraction than a help, and often take just one fixed length lens when I go out, so I can concentrate on seeing things and not on picking lenses.
Last Sunday we did exactly that: took the camera with one lens and then tried it out on our walk to see what and how it worked. We left the other two at home: less to carry around too!
Old 01-08-2014, 05:05 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lola5k
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins/JUDD
Start Date: Atkins 2004/JUDDD Feb 2012
Happy new year everyone

Sorry it's late but only just found an internet connection. We are down in the Canaries and it's lovely sunshine. 23 degrees or more most days. Go home this Friday but it's been a fab 12 days. Can't even think what scales will be after Xmas and straight onto. holidays. Been for 3 runs tho so that may have helped.

Lots of reading to catch up on the posts so will do that at the weekend

No kissa I didn't buy the steam generator as every one that I tried totally soaked DH shirts. Think they are probably great for sheets and thick items of clothing

Hope you are all keeping to plan. Spk soon. Xx
Old 01-08-2014, 05:10 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ooh 23 sounds lovely, am very jealous!!

Being a good lowcarber eating too much but it's all lowcarb. Next week I will work on amount

X
Old 01-08-2014, 05:12 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lola5k
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins/JUDD
Start Date: Atkins 2004/JUDDD Feb 2012
Also wanted to say hugs to Shy. Sorry about your pains etc. yeah get a flight down here we got loads of room in our 3 bed villa lol xx

Good plan to weigh again.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:14 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lovely to see you, Lola. I’m very envious of the 23ºC!
Old 01-08-2014, 05:15 AM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Lola, nice to see you here! Enjoy the nice warm weather for the next few days!

Shy, I think the way you are going about it is exactly right, and once you're in ketosis, the amounts will be less anyway...

Nothing much to post today, work is keeping me occupied. I bought some nice snow boots by Viking for my Norway trip, in the hope that I'll at least see a little bit of winter when we go in March...
Old 01-08-2014, 06:11 AM   #45

Oh I wish i could have bit of that warm sunshiny Lola. Feeling very grumpy today.

Of course that could be due to the amount of wine I drank last night. And the 2.6 lbs gain on the scales.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Both of those are good reasons to be grumpy, Kissa . How’s Vicky? She’s been very quiet!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:13 AM   #47

Yes she has been quiet, but I think she is fine. Just busy I expect.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:15 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

As long as she’s OK (and doesn’t stay away for too long).
Old 01-10-2014, 12:50 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

well i still made it go the gym despite being hardly able to walk lol. everyone there thinks i am mad - which is probably true

x
Old 01-10-2014, 12:53 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well done! — as long as you aren’t doing things that are bad for you .
Old 01-10-2014, 01:27 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ooh as if i would ailuros <whistle>
Old 01-10-2014, 01:31 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Where’s a stern-looking smiley when you need it? Or maybe the eye-rolling one…

Anyway, take care!
Old 01-10-2014, 01:55 AM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

Shy, you are doing great, be careful to not overdo things at the gym!

That said, I could do with doing something at the gym.... Anything, LOL!

I had every intention to get on my rebounder yesterday, but then I got home later than planned and used that as a lame excuse not to move my butt of the sofa.

I have added a goal in my signature, so I can see it and everyone else can see it too. I'm hoping this will motivate me to really be serious, and not only stick with my WOE, but actually LOSE weight! I know I end up eating too much of all the good stuff, and although I'm not gaining weight, nothing is coming off either. So, here I am, being all serious and stuff! (about losing weight that is!)

I am sticking with my IF rotations for now and keeping an eye on my macros so I don't go over on my limits. I'm also FORCING myself to stop eating when I stop being hungry. Really hard, because since Christmas I've convinced myself that only HUGE portions are going to satisfy me. I'm journaling everything and making myself look at the reality of things. Not nice. I am just not losing weight if I wing it, I really need to face facts.

So, I need all your admonishing words, checking up and all sorts to keep me in line! I have discovered that I can't do it by myself sort of. And I really want and need to lose weight. I don't have a problem with LC eating, in fact I'm really good at it, and there lies the problem! So, please hold me accountable, I need your support in getting this right and making it work....

My menu today:

B: BPC, with pure whey protein
L: same as B
D: green bean, smoked sausage and tomato casserole with feta butter. No dessert. This is where I fail most days: I end up eating creme fraiche and almond butter for dessert even though I'm happy and satisfied with the amount I already ate for dinner...

Cals: 1440
Protein: 57 grams
Carbs: 19 grams
Fat: 127 grams
Old 01-10-2014, 02:06 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ooh u made ailuros stern!!!! Seriously tho I am in pain whether moving or not so might as well move cos then I won't stiffen. And yes I am bl**dy stubborn, but then if I wasn't I would be in a wheelchair permanently

Mimos like u I end up eating cream cheesecake just cos I can even tho not hungry, to stop that I have not bought cream cheese, not there can't eat!!!!

X
Old 01-10-2014, 02:14 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

When I first lost weight with LC, after a few months I noticed I was regaining a bit and started to record what I was eating. I got to about 2500 calories (which is a lot when you’re small) and realised that pouring half a pint of double cream on a few raspberries wasn’t going to work .
Old 01-10-2014, 02:14 AM   #56
Blabbermouth!!!

Shy, I've done the same: no more creme fraiche in the house!!! LOL
Maybe by being more accountable to myself, I'll also grow a spine from somewhere!
I'm sorry you are in pain, it must be very frustrating for you, I can only imagine...
Old 01-10-2014, 03:40 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Well done for attending the gym, Shy, and staving off stiffness, loss of range of movement etc. etc.

Flying by - stuffing things into boxes as moving some things tomorrow and putting others in storage. We'll be partly moving-in to the flat on Saturday and more fully later in the month.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #58

Total respect Shy. You are great not giving in.

Sometimes when I am struggling during a class I think about friends who would love to be able to move as easily as I can. That always gets me going. I lost a dear friend last year and whenever I feel things are too difficult I remember how fortunate I am.

Good for you Mimosa, sometimes we just have to face the music and get serious. We promise to give lots of stern talks and smileys!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks guys i am nothing special just a stubborn old moo lol

slow hope the move goes well and kissa u do FANTASTIC!!!

x
Old 01-11-2014, 04:35 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: janj
Stats: 150/139/133 (5' 6.5")52 years old
WOE: LC
Start Date: May 2003
Shy, you've motivated me to get to the gym this morning. If you can do it when you're hurting, then I have no excuses...

Lola, wish we could all be in the sunshine with you! It has been extremely cold here some days, dipping into negative degrees F, but today it's up in the 50s. Hope the UK storms are over now.

Good luck with the move, Slowsure.

Keep on keeping on, mimosa, if know the weight will decide to cooperate soon.

Weight loss is such a mental thing for me. For the last 6 months I could feel weight creeping on, but couldn't get in the right mindset. Since January 1, though, I feel motivated again. I!'m down 4lbs and will work on shedding the remaining 5 by the end of the month. Looking at the calendar and planning my week ahead in terms of food shopping really helps. As well as checking this thread as often as possible. Ailuros's progress is motivating too!

Have a great weekend all.

PS Kissa, you look stunning in your avatar!

Last edited by janj; 01-11-2014 at 04:36 AM..
Closed Thread