Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #421
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shykins
Stats: 262/147 goal
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 19th April 2004
amin i would love to do zumba as i love dancing too but as the others know i have various back/health problems that would make it impossible (worse luck!!) why dont u see if u can get a trial class somewhere?

hope u all enjoying another day of sun!!
x

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #422
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
We went on a beautiful walk through a river valley with wild daffodils today. So warm I had to carry my jacket.

Off to the cinema this evening.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #423
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by shykins View Post
i have various back/health problems that would make it impossible (worse luck!!)
Shy, I hesitate to suggest Chairobics with Mary Morris but I've found it useful from time to time, particularly if you add in resistance tubes or bands. (Videos on Rosemary Conley site as well as YouTube.)

Some Councils run Chairobic sessions that include TheraBands and they can be pretty good (depending, as ever, on the instructor).

However, if you can use a cross-trainer or swim, then Chairobics would only suit you as an option if you were feeling very rough or frail
Old 03-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #424
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks slow chairobics sounds different lol

When I am bad I can't walk at all but average days I can get on a cross trainer, they are great for less able exercisers as once u are on u just go, you don't need to worry where your feet are etc. luckily my wonderful acupuncture man is helping me have more average days than bad

X
Old 03-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #425
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Junoesque
Stats: Size 18-20/14-16/12
WOE: Atkins. Ish.
Start Date: Re-started 1 January 2006
Wonderful to pop back in and meet new people!! Welcome, Amin and Virgo!

OK, having read through the posts which have accumulated since I was last here, I was appalled by SlowSure's dilemma. I'm so sorry that healthcare professionals can be so... well, wrong. I've not met you, I have only the stats you posted to go on, but... they appear to be making assumptions based on the make-up of the population, rather than your particular case. You don't in any way seem to be too fat; rather, it's a question of how to increase your muscle mass and strengthen the same. Do you lift weights at all?

Mint, wow your life sounds fabulous!! :-) Totally jealous.

Virgo, good luck with the sugar monster, but - it gets better!! Honestly.

Shy, if a lone Chinese is all you have to beat yourself up about, you're doing brilliantly!!

Amin - I was without an oven for far too long. Have you thought about a small tabletop one? I LOVE mine!!!

Kissa, still trying to imagine celery braised with chess melted on top. Can't imagine the knights would put up with that without a fight, has to be the pawns, huh?

Virgo, walks with a dog in Plymouth sound marvellous!

Lola - OUCH!!! Hope you're feeling better now.

I think EU40 is around a 12 in the UK.

Where was I?

Hello everyone else!! Including lurkers.

Finding it hard to stay on track, LC-wise, at the moment. Lost a couple of jobs through being "not old enough, not fat enough"... (for those who are new here, I'm a struggling opera singer), and it is hard not to think, well sod it all, bring on the pancakes...

Still. There is sunshine, and in sunshine, everything is OK. Embarked upon learning an immensely difficult role just for the hell of it, and it is magical, the process. I am lucky. Nature around me is splendiferous, and a lovely friend gave me a replacement sunflower to adorn my bike.

Juno x x x

Ailuros - HOORAY on the new boiler!! As everyone else said, just in time for spring...
Old 03-17-2014, 12:29 AM   #426
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

juno how lovely to see u. "not fat enough" thats not a reason to get turned down for many jobs!! such a shame, am sure something will come along for u soon

well what a fab day yestrday, i sat out in the garden most of the day. felt like a pre-holiday lol. am yet to weigh but am not expecting great thngs, if i stay the same i will be happy

x
Old 03-17-2014, 02:40 AM   #427
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
I love the “not fat enough,” Juno, but sorry it’s losing you work!

I slept late this morning and found an email from the builders from 7:30 asking if it’s ok for them to start “first thing” today. They couldn’t have mentioned it on Friday? Anyway, luckily I spent yesterday clearing out all the cupboards and worktops that’ll be affected by the work.

I’m starting to suspect that what I thought was a respiratory problem might have an element of gastric reflux (I’ve had problems with certain smells, so there is a respiratory component, but apparently they often go together). So I’m going to try dropping my carbs down to see if that helps. Ironic really, when I did the intermittent fasting stuff so I wouldn’t need to be strict about carbs. Oh well.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:14 AM   #428
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think I need to go and find some of SlowShure’s gut flora links.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:31 AM   #429
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Hello everyone!!!!

I'm doing a quick fly by...

Holiday was lovely, but no aurora borealis, the weather was dreadful!

Ailuros, doing a boiler happy dance for you!

SlowSure, I hope you get to the bottom of things, what you are going through must be so frustrating!

Virgo, good to see you here, welcome!

Amin, I love making a chicken salad with celery, I find it goes really well with mayo... LOL!

Everyone else: I've not forgotten you, I just haven't read everything here...

I've moved office, got nice new furniture and everything, and so I've got to do some decorating (all my stuff is in boxes) and I've got to catch up on a weeks' worth of emails here.

Will pop in tomorrow once I'm all settled in and up to date,
xxx Chloe.

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Old 03-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #430
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aww mimosa what a shame u didn't get to see the aurora, hope u had a good time anyway

Ailuros seriously!!?? They must have known they were starting Monday jeez!!! I get really bad reflux, never thought of a connection with smells tho, interesting as I cannot bear strong smells even walking thru boots makes me feel sick

Didn't lose this week but am pleased to have stayed the same. Am trying to be good this week prior to holiday but it's hard as I sorta feel stuff it I am going on holiday next week, someone kick me pls!!!!

x
Old 03-17-2014, 08:38 AM   #431
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Aww mimosa what a shame u didn't get to see the aurora, hope u had a good time anyway

Ailuros seriously!!?? They must have known they were starting Monday jeez!!! I get really bad reflux, never thought of a connection with smells tho, interesting as I cannot bear strong smells even walking thru boots makes me feel sick

Didn't lose this week but am pleased to have stayed the same. Am trying to be good this week prior to holiday but it's hard as I sorta feel stuff it I am going on holiday next week, someone kick me pls!!!!

x
I don’t think the reflux is affected by smells, I think there’s some respiratory sensitivity/allergy as well. The symptoms seem surprisingly similar — similar feeling in the chest, cough… Do you find the reflux is better when you stick to strict LC?

Be good this week! Save your indulgence allowance for your holiday .
Old 03-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #432
Blabbermouth!!!

Ailuros, eating very low carb certainly helped my acid reflux problem. I do have to watch out for excessive fat as well, though. I take ACV (a TB shot) if my acid reflux is accute, which helps, and being consistent with a good quality probiotic (most don't supply enough good bacteria, try getting one with at least 30 billion or so bacteria. Mine is from garden of life, called primal defense). I also try to eat fermented foods such as raw saurkraut. Make sure it's unpasteurised though, otherwise it's no use.

A smell sensitivity linked to reflux can be a result of a candida overgrowth. Here a strict low carb diet without dairy in the beginning can do wonders...

I hope you find something that helps!

I'm in the middle of a healing crisis at the moment again due to candida and quitting dairy. My liver went on strike and now I have terrible eczema. I just have to stick with it and trust the suggestions of my naturopath. So far what she's said has worked. I think I'm noticing some improvement, but it can also be wishful thinking at this stage.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #433
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the info, Mimosa. I recently found unpasteurised sauerkraut in the supermarket! I need to do some fermented stuff myself as well. There may be some of that beetroot stuff at the back of some dark cupboard from my last WAP phase .

I don’t think the smell sensitivity is triggering reflux, I think it’s something more like asthma (a lung sensitivity) but the feelings are very similar, so it took my a long time to work out that there are different things going on.

I stopped using fabric conditioner a few years ago, and that helped, along with saving perfume for the odd special occasion, and not putting smelly stuff in my bath most of the time. My breathing has been a lot better, and maybe it’s because that’s cleared up that I’ve been able to spot there’s something else going on.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #434
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i had terrible IBS which all but stopped when i started atkins. my reflux is much worse lately and am getting IBS again so i am tempted to think it may be related to the HRT i take now. had to stop one lot and am thinking this one may have to go to. not before holiday tho

mimosa fermented foods and no dairy.. NOOOOO i just couldnt. well done u tho knowing what your body needs. hope u get sorted soon

x
Old 03-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #435
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I’m doing lots of reading about gut flora.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:36 AM   #436
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amin81
Stats: 182.5/143.1/132
WOE: LowCarbHighFat & 16:8
Start Date: 7 Jan 2014
Hi ladies!

Juno - the "not fat enough" also made me giggle but it must be frustrating when it's for your career. Hope something "slim enough" comes along for you soon!

Mimosa - sorry bout the bad weather on your trip, hope you had a nice time all the same and thanks for the chicken salad idea. Next time I get celery, I will deffo do that.

And here is me staying out of the reflux convo as I have nothing intelligent to say.

I actually posted below in another one of my regular threads but wanted to share it with you as well as it really is quite a victory. I was on a quick visit to Italy this weekend; so gorgeous with 24 degrees, sunny and just beautiful with the still snow-covered mountains in the background and the magnolia blooming down where we were.
Italy is obviously jam-packed with potential food traps. But: I was basically never even tempted to stray into old eating habits. My husband had sugary stuff, wine and ice cream and while I tasted a little of everything (except stuff with gluten), nothing set me off into cravings. One spoon of ice cream was enough as I knew more sugar would just not make me feel good.
We even had pizza - mine was gluten-free and I had 2 slices of the actual crust and then just more of the topping and it was awesome.
I've Never had such a relaxed attitude to food before, it is a liberating feeling.
Hope above makes any sort of sense and isn't just a rant. I just wanted to share as I feel like this is what I've been aiming for - a lifestyle, not a diet
Old 03-18-2014, 04:41 AM   #437
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Amin it's wonderful when u reach the place that u aren't tempted , a bite is enough etc etc. well done!!!!!!

X
Old 03-18-2014, 05:08 AM   #438
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi All!

Yes, the holiday was lovely despite the weather! We went on a dogsledding trip, did lots of fun touristy things, went to museums, did lots of walking and some eating and drinking too! We had the giggles over several things quite a bit, so that's always a sign of a good time, LOL! All in all, Tromso is a lovely place, but 4 days are definitely enough when the weather is bad. The point where an 84 euro lunch (2 drinks, 2 burgers) seems cheap is the time to leave Norway, LOL!
Norwegian food isn't really good, and they seem to love adding horrible things like soybean oil to almost everything. LCHF, the Swedish movement, has certainly not reached its neighbour.
The breakfast at the hotel was great though, something there for everyone.

We have decided to try for the Aurora Borealis again, maybe in a year or two once our finances have recovered from this visit to Norway, LOL!

As of today I've lost 24 lbs since my January restart! YAY! And here's me thinking I'm not losing fast enough! I'm really enjoying eating this way and even on holiday it was easy to stick to my WOE. Finally something I'm good at, LOL!
Old 03-18-2014, 05:18 AM   #439

Hello gang!

Have been just so busy down in Devon and got back last night. Refused to get on the horrid scale there and this morning I was very pleased to see 126.5 on the one here. I am really doing a 5:2 this just now, sometimes even 6:1. But like Amin says, I feel very relaxed around food these days, most of the time.

I am happy to say I can't add to the gut issues either. I have the constitution of an Ox.

Off to the gym.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:56 AM   #440
Senior LCF Member

Mimosa - that's so funny what you write about the prices in Norway coz that's exactly what my other friends said when they came back from there!
24 pounds is fantastic work!!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #441
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Amin it's wonderful when u reach the place that u aren't tempted , a bite is enough etc etc. well done!!!!!!
X
Thanks Shykins, it does feel great!

Nice work Kissa! How are you liking 5:2? That's the latest big craze in Sweden ... the newspapers can't seem to decide if they want to prompte 5:2 or LCHF anymore lol, it's funny to see them do one thing one day and the other the next.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #442
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mimosa fantastic on 24lbs that's brilliant!!! Ouch I have also heard how expensive Norway is, my AB trip will have to go on the back burner for now

Kissa good to see u ,lucky u with the oxen constitution lol

X
Old 03-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #443

Amin I have done it all over the years, and I believe that most of these things work if your mindset is right. Undoubtedly certain styles of eating suit individual people and there are many arguments to be had about the health benefits of different regimes. I have lived long enough to see all the trends come around .

My mother, back in the 50's did Low Carb, it wasn't called that of course, she just gave up bread, potatoes and all sweet things.... Then another time she did something called 2 by 2. It was 2 days of any proteins then 2 days of fruit or vegetables then 2 days of virtual fasting.

We all suffered from the saturated fat hate campaign and had ourselves and our children stuffed full of Transfats. High fibre was the only way to go for a while along with almost zero fat.

Personally I am thrilled to hear sugar getting a beating at long last. And butter and lard back in their place as the most natural fats.

Mimosa I am so sorry you had poor weather, it really is a hit and miss game seeing the Aurora. And yes the food and drink casts a fortune! You have done brilliantly losing 24 lbs this year, well done you!

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:44 AM   #444
Blabbermouth!!!

Morning all!

Look what my beloved Daily Mail wrote:

Saturated fat DOESN'T cause heart disease after all | Mail Online

Of course, tomorrow will be another banana diet or something equally silly, but it made my morning!
I read the DM for my daily dose of nonsensical gossip actually...
Old 03-19-2014, 06:18 AM   #445
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailuros View Post
30% is within the healthy fat range on the WHO chart, isn’t it? If so, maybe the thing to do is to aim to stay at about your current weight and see if you can build up your LBM?

I think we’re still in the very early days of gathering this sort of information, so the science of what it means is still pretty crude, but I think you said somewhere that you found yourself using your hands to get out of a chair. That doesn’t seem right for someone or your age and weight (not sure what your age is, but assuming you’re in your “middle years”). I would suspect that the root of your problem lies in your various accidents, but it seems that low LBM and strength are more of a problem for you than the fat.
You're correct - for a woman 30% BF is currently within the healthy fat range on 1995 WHO guidelines altho' they're under pressure to revise those categories downwards.

The guidelines being used in some current research are based upon the recommendations from 2009 by American Society of Bariatric Physicians (ASBP). The ASBP suggest the body fat values of 25% and 30% for men and women, respectively, as the categories to define obesity.

You're spot on about it being early days for having these data and it being very unclear as to what can be done with it.

It's remarkably difficult for most women to add muscle mass (which is the relevant part of the LBM for me): there are lots of distinctions between what you can do with muscle you already have, but in the absence of testosterone, and the difference in male/female prevalence of particular muscle fibres - it's mostly implausible at this age. I'd be doing remarkably well to maintain the muscle mass that I have - far less add to it.

It is the relative lack of muscle mass that grieves me. I somewhat blithely assumed that at some point muscle memory would kick in and I'd be restored to a reasonable approximation of my pre-accident strength etc. But, in the shock of learning the results of the DXA scan, it has meant that I'm taking more note of the things that I find it difficult to do that were never previously a problem. And this irritates me because I'm not ill - I'm just a lot weaker than I was.

I'm seeing someone next Monday. I'm hoping for some useful suggestions but I have a feeling that I'm about to start on a tedious chain of chasing appropriate referrals because there is no obvious diagnostic/treatment path for someone's who's developed this level of muscle loss at my age in the absence of muscle-wasting diseases (which, gratefully, I'm confident that I don't have).

Sept 2014 A recent DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:23 AM   #446
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Juno - I've always thought casting sounds like such a cruel process. To be too slender, young, tall etc. - it's

Mimosa - just to echo other posters' congratulations on the loss of 24lbs. Well done.

Amin - what a peaceful feeling for you to be that comfortable around food. I always think of 5:2 or JUDDD as a schedule rather than a WOE so I wonder why it's taking the Swedish papers so long to make an obvious hybrid recommendation of 5:2 + LCHF

Shykins - I hope you're enjoying your pre-holiday run up.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:38 AM   #447
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good luck with navigating the health system, Slow!

I’m afraid I think you’re right about the difficulty of gaining muscle. There seem to be a few women who do (presumably those with more testosterone) but for most of us, it’s not realistic to expect big changes in muscle mass just from exercise & diet. When I did some weight training a few years ago, I noticed significant increases in strength and a tad more definition, but no change in LBM based on any of the available DIY measures.

Still, if your loss is related to hormonal issues, maybe there’s something that can be done to help address it that way. I hope you can find your way to someone with the right skills.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:51 AM   #448
Blabbermouth!!!

SlowSure,

I am just sending hugs to you. It must be such a frustrating process. I wouldn't be able to add anything really apart from ask if you already do heavy weights exercises... Sending lots of good thoughts that you get to the bottom of this..

xxx Chloe.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:00 AM   #449
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I’m sort of thinking/hoping that the acid reflux stuff is related to a tummy bug or something and not settled in to stay. Then I can work on being an ox like Kissa! I‘ve not generally had digestive troubles, but my father and his mother lived for decades on Rennies (my father still does).
Old 03-19-2014, 07:01 AM   #450
Blabbermouth!!!

Hahahaha, my dad does too, Ailuros!
Closed Thread