Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #1111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Congrats Mayleesa! You have come such a long way.

I am also still in! I kind of dropped out for a few weeks and have been maintaining, but I still have 15 pounds to go to get to goal so I want to get back on the wagon, so to speak, for a couple more months at least, until I am officially in maintenance.

5/5: 136.0 this morning.

Last edited by nikki; 05-05-2014 at 07:49 AM..
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #1112
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ValR
Stats: 178/153/140
Nikki- I just noticed your ticker and you have also come along way. Good job!
ValR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #1113
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValR View Post
I had to buy new pants for work and they are 7/8. I haven't been this size for 15 years!!! I've been doing a work out called Slim in 6 which I hate it but the results are amazing. I have totally reshaped my body and lost tons of inches. I'm continuing to do videos that use weights and as I increase the weight resistance it makes me look smaller. I'm a firm believer that the combination of diet and exercise is the key for me being successful. I look forward to my early morning workouts now instead of dreading them.

Have a happy Monday.
Wow, that's so cool! It's true that weights make you more compact and sculpted. I plan to start lifting weights soon. I used to lift before and it was incredible how strong and healthy I was.

For me, weights do not aid in the weight loss process because lifting makes me soooo hungry and I eat a lot more protein. But even though I didn't loxse much weight when I was lifting, it certainly made me look better. I lost eceral sizes that way. But that was four years ago, and then I stopped. This time around, now that I am close to my goal, weights are coming back! I plan to start in June about the time that the kids get done with school.

Also this summer I will be taking water aerobics. I will be the youngest, skinniest one in the class (aside from the instructor) but I will also be the most out-of-shape one in the class. I have taken water aerobics before and it is nothing short of miraculous how those old ladies can just go and go and go. The experienced ones, the ones who have been doing water aerobics for years, they might appear fat, but they are are wayyyy more fit than I am! lol ~ I like water aerobics because it is an amazing workout but at the same time it cools you off and lowers your core body temperature so that afterward you feel cooler all day long.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:48 AM   #1114
Major LCF Poster!

I've heard good things about water aerobics but have never tried them. The water resistance is supposed to give quite a workout. Our nearest gyms and pools are 30 minutes away so I always pursue activities I can do from home. I will be moving in a few years and will eventually have access to workout facilities and a pool which will be a nice change.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:43 AM   #1115
Senior LCF Member

Woo hoo! Had a mini whoosh overnight.

5/5: 136.0
5/6: 135.2

Old 05-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #1116
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CK31040
Stats: 142/124/125
WOE: Lower Carb maintenance
Start Date: Dec 27 2013: Restart
Val, Nikki, Mayleesa

You girls are doing so awesome!

I went off the diet intentionally for about 6 days to clean out the freezer and managed to gain most a pound back. Not too worried because it should come off in a week or 2. Still wearing smaller clothes so I'm good. A few people at work asked me about it so it must show!
CK31040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #1117
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
WOW 50lbs!!!! you go girl!!!

and I totally know now about it must be showing because 3 people at work stopped me today to ask how I lost soooo much weight so quickly, they didn't believe its been since xmas....it just appeared to them all overnight....hahaha I WISH IT WERE OVERNIGHT

I've heard great things about slim in 6 and its the only thing I HAVENT tried.....maybe I will give it a go....but I do agree that workouts make me RAVENOUS....but I do love the look of smaller.....

so glad we are still here....as I can see me needing this support through the summer if you ladies are still up for chatting

Feb 1: 190 ---> 193.8
March 1: 185 -> 188.0
April 1: 180 --> 184.8
May 1: 175 --> 178.2
June 1: 170
.......-5/month until my birthday in
DECEMBER: 140
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #1118
Major LCF Poster!

I read it takes other people about three months to notice somebody's weight loss. I think it's accurate because even though I knew I was losing it wasnt obvious to other people until recently. It sounds like you ladies have had the same experience.

I wouldn't mind if this thread is a year round thing to keep us in shape for every summer. Maybe other people would join us in our quest to look good for summer.

I had to order a few new pairs of work pants and also some medium shirts. My clothing from last year looks like they are from the maternity department because my stomach had stretched them out. I have piles of clothes to get rid of and I cringe thinking about how much I spent on work pants this work. I've gone done 4 sizes in the past year but it's worth it to see how far I've come along. I'm having a garage sale this summer and hope to get a nice chunk of change to put towards some new clothes.

Eat Less, Exercise more
Increase water consumption
Spend Less, Save More
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Take Classes for Business Degree
December Walking Goal 58/60
Miles Walked in 2014: 924
Old 05-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #1119
Senior LCF Member

i agree it takes a few months for people to notice. Part of it might be we hold off buying new clothes or digging out the old ones. I need to go shopping again, tired of pulling my jeans up! we'll see though, not sure my legs & but have caught up to my waist yet.

I little news, both bad and good. I'm back down to 123.4, no damage done.
Bad news is I managed to get some of my leg muscles out of whack. Luckily i was able to get into the chiropractor yesterday and get halfway straightened out but still am supposed to do this weird stretch every hour and its still sore/tight. Its days like this I am happy to have a good work team. They don't give me too much crap about doing "yoga" at work or standing awkwardly at my desk At least this time my butt/leg aren't going numb which was my problem last time. Its going to be fun when i travel tomorrow.

Have a good LC weekend everybody!
Old 05-09-2014, 05:46 AM   #1120
Major LCF Poster!

I had a two good things happen this week: I needed a new hole added to my belt and I'm an inch taller. I went to the doctor yesterday and they checked my height three times and I'm taller. I wonder if it's from doing videos that have strengthened by back or else my posture is better because I feel better about myself.

I purchased a new set of workout videos called 21 day fix that I'm going to start in a week. I need to shake things up and move onto something different to keep my body confused.

Have a wonderful weekend and keep working towards your summer bodies!!
Old 05-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #1121
Senior LCF Member

I rewarded myself for the 50 pounds I have lost so far and got permanent eyebrows and eyeliner done. I am not happy with the eyebrows! They don't match each other at all; they are not even close to being symmetrical. I am going back in four weeks when they are healed to have a correction/touch-up done (they had better look more symmetrical afterwards!) When they are finally healed in mid-June I will post some "before and after" photos.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:15 AM   #1122
Senior LCF Member

Hows everybody doing this week?

Still much of the same for me. Back/leg still sore but getting better, same weight. Looking forward to a weekend at home with decent weather

Should probably do some grocery shopping for the weekend since we are finishing off leftovers. Are you guys making anything exciting to eat lately?
Old 05-15-2014, 07:01 AM   #1123
Senior LCF Member

I am down to 131.2, so at least that's good news! 11.2 pounds to goal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
I rewarded myself for the 50 pounds I have lost so far and got permanent eyebrows and eyeliner done. I am not happy with the eyebrows! They don't match each other at all; they are not even close to being symmetrical. I am going back in four weeks when they are healed to have a correction/touch-up done (they had better look more symmetrical afterwards!) When they are finally healed in mid-June I will post some "before and after" photos.
Actually as they have healed, not only are they completely lopsided (the pic doesn't show it as bad as it really is) but my eyebrows have also turned a bright pumpkin auburn, when what I requested was a soft neutral grey. I have been letting my hair go grey, so bright auburn, lopsided eyebrows are just NOT what I wanted at all. I have decided to go to someone else who is an expert in repairing botched permanent cosmetics. I have set up the consult for next week. The week after that, I also have an appointment with the lady who did the eyebrows the first time to try to get some of my money back (yeah, good luck with that) to pay for the repair, which is going to cost me $450-600.

asymmetry1_sm.jpg
P1020030_sm.jpg

Last edited by nikki; 05-15-2014 at 07:06 AM..
Old 05-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #1124
Major LCF Poster!

sadly, I went off plan for this past week....we went to florida to try to get my mom to come home, Maryland, as she is not well....it was incredibly stressful to say the least....I drank more alcohol then I planned and went off the deep end eating.....

I weighed myself when I got home today just to gage it....OMG....I went from 176.4 last Thursday 5/8 before we left to 196.6......I honestly can NOT believe that in a weeks time I gained 20.2 lbs......I NEED HELP!!!!!

I plan Monday to bootcamp....tomorrow I will just drink water.....I need to reclaim my life and I have no one to blame but myself I feel like a complete and utter failure....how could one week destroy me
Old 05-17-2014, 07:08 PM   #1125
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayleesa View Post
sadly, I went off plan for this past week....we went to florida to try to get my mom to come home, Maryland, as she is not well....it was incredibly stressful to say the least....I drank more alcohol then I planned and went off the deep end eating.....

I weighed myself when I got home today just to gage it....OMG....I went from 176.4 last Thursday 5/8 before we left to 196.6......I honestly can NOT believe that in a weeks time I gained 20.2 lbs......I NEED HELP!!!!!

I plan Monday to bootcamp....tomorrow I will just drink water.....I need to reclaim my life and I have no one to blame but myself I feel like a complete and utter failure....how could one week destroy me
I don't believe those numbers either. It is not POSSIBLE to gain that much fat in one week. You need to cleanse your colon and cut back on the water weight, perhaps? When this happens to me I fast for ONE day. I buy some psyllium husks, some "Smooth Move" tea, and dandelion root tea (all available at your local health food store) and I drink them around midday. Then before bed time I take a multi-B vitamin, a big vitamin C, and some magnesium before bed time.

You will be up all night pooping and peeing but it will clean you out and you can start tomorrow feeling cleansed and ready to start over.

Last edited by nikki; 05-17-2014 at 07:10 PM..
Old 05-18-2014, 03:53 AM   #1126
Major LCF Poster!

Mayleesa.....don't give up!! Stress does horrible things to our bodies and I'm sure it contributed to your weight gain. Do you live in an area where you could go for a short walk every day even for just half an hour? It really helps me de-stress if I'm outside moving and can really lift your spirits.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #1127
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Its been almost a week, how are you doing/feeling Mayleesa?
Old 05-26-2014, 06:18 AM   #1128
Major LCF Poster!

I hope everybody is enjoying the long weekend. I had a chance to go boating and camping this weekend and loved being outside and wearing cute summer clothes. I've made a huge transformation in my weight since we started this challenge and my confidence has returned. I'm doing so many things I love because I feel so much better about myself and I'm so much happier. I'm embarrassed to admit this but I'm much nicer now. When I was 30 pounds heavier I hated myself and that made me mean and irritable. I was crabby and grumpy and took it out on other people. I didn't realize it until a few weeks ago and I feel horrible that I acted that way.

My weight is hovering around 145 and that's where I want to keep it. I'm a daily weigher and if the scale starts creeping towards 150 I will have to reevaluate my eating and exercising.

I'm going to start a new exercise program called 21 day fix in a few minutes. I'm scared and excited to see what it's like. The weather has been great for walking but I need to do activities with weights and toning. Building up my muscle mass has done wonders for weight loss and back pain from herniated disks.

I hope everybody is still working toward their goals and seeing progress.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #1129
Major LCF Poster!

well I've managed to fight and claw my way down to 185.2 this morning.....I really am just a mess....9lbs from where I started on 5/8...I WILL NOT GIVE UP!! I seriously just can not believe that 7 days could kill me....

Sunday is June 1.....I wanted 170 and prolly would've been there by now had I not screwed up so badly.....I would love to still talk to you all throughout the summer....I miss you guys, I worked a TON this week and haven't had 2 seconds to decompress......HUGS and hope everyone has been successful!
Old 05-31-2014, 10:03 AM   #1130
Major LCF Poster!

Don't give up, Mayleesa! Everybody has setbacks and you will get past them.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:11 AM   #1131
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
well I've managed to fight and claw my way down to 185.2 this morning.....I really am just a mess....9lbs from where I started on 5/8...I WILL NOT GIVE UP!! I seriously just can not believe that 7 days could kill me....
Well the bright side is that it should come off easier the second time (or it usually does for me when its "new fat" as opposed to "old fat".

Summer feels like it is already here with this weather. Have to stay vigilant on the beverages so I don't confuse it with hunger pangs. I have went back up 1lb from simply not controlling my portions enough. I've been slacking on tracking food but when I go back and think about it most days are 1800-2000+ calories and for my size I should be in mid 1700. Generally under 60 carbs but it all adds up.

My garden is all planted now (unless I plant extra batches of beans or peas). I can see all the little sprouts and makes my day. Now to keep up with the watering (its been raining pretty good here lately) and weeding.
The boyfriend decided he wanted to do a whole flat worth of jalapeno plants so he is going to be busy! I told him he's on his own with the picking and canning of all those. Not touching it! Also I can see my little sour cherries growing, want to try canning those this year sugar free. yum.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:44 AM   #1132
Major LCF Poster!

Checking in to say I'm still in this challenge. My eating has gotten sloppy and I need to clean it up before it's a problem.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #1133
Senior LCF Member

June Update!

Well, no longer a lot of action in this thread....

I have been losing/gaining the same pound so I'm calling this my maintenance point. I could likely lose another pound or 2 if i tried real hard but i'm mostly out of ambition.

Generally keeping under 60 grams of carbs but have not been 100% faithful on the weekends. Had 1 free weekend, then 1 meal of nachos last weekend. sticking to meat/cheese/eggs & veggies mostly, sometimes some tomatoe sauce or lc bread mixed in there. This week some liquor, its been a rough 2 days at work and I have a tendency to take it personal (which is dumb).
Here's hoping the rest of the week is smoother and I get a few more veggies out of the garden this weekend.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #1134
Major LCF Poster!

I'm maintaining what I accomplished and pleased to have surpassed my weight loss goal. It was my intention to wear a bikini this summer and I can do it and actually be happy with how I look. Every time I don't want to work out or am tempted to overindulge on something I think about the title of this thread and it keeps me on track. My mantra every day is "not another fat summer".

For Christmas I plan on giving myself abs. I think six months is doable but I haven't seen my abs since 1985 and hope they are still there.

I hope this challenge doesn't die. It's been for helpful and motivating for me.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:34 AM   #1135
Senior LCF Member

Summer Wins!

I just wanted to record a few wins and cool things I've found as of late.

Win #1 - I've been on LC for 6+ months and now in maintenance. would normally have gone back to bad foods by now.
Win #2 - Relatives who didnt already know asked me how I lost so much weight.
Win #3 - Growing new types of veggies! So far new harvests include: beets, kohlrabi, turnips, radish, and onion. the cauliflower is coming soon!
I also started plants indoors this year and many although sad looking survived. May invest in grow light.
Win #4 - Using different flours to make awesome breads, treats etc. I love almond flour!

Cool things I found:
The muffin top pan - purched to make low carb buns but there are other uses too! more uniform egg sandwiches for one!

The veggie spiralizer - I got mine online but am now seeing all over including walmart. Made really good summer squash alfredo last night. Good way to use up extra zucchini. Supposed to work with cucumbers too so we'll see about that later in the growing season.

Anyone want to share some wins? Val?
Old 07-10-2014, 03:39 AM   #1136
Senior LCF Member

1 other thing! I've been worried about getting enough potassium lately along with my salts. Turns out most of the veggies/fruit I am growing/picking have a decent amount.

zucchini
peppers
beets
green beans
mulberries (found lots of them on the property this year!)
sour cherries
Old 07-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #1137
Major LCF Poster!

CK- I'm proud of your commitment to make lifestyle changes. It's super easy to slide backward with our eating plans but you seem to have a really good handle on it. I bet you are loving your fresh produce. It always taste better when you grow it yourself.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #1138
Senior LCF Member

How are you doing on the personal goals in your footer?? Sounds like you have the exercise one under control.

2014 Personal Goals:

Eat Less, Exercise more
Increase water consumption
Spend Less, Save More
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Take Classes for Business Degree
June Walking Goal 40/90
Miles Walked in 2014: 563