Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 02:48 PM   #871
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amin81 View Post
Soooo ... Valentine's day is coming up and I was just wondering how everyone is strategizing around this?

I have told the hubby that under no circumstances is he to buy chocolates and he's okay with that. But I did think that maybe I could make a special meal and even *gasp* a LC dessert.
But here's the thing ... I find myself fearful at the prospect of breaking the current eating habits (which are clearly working) with something sweet, Even if it is low carb.
Am I being totally weird here and over-cautious?
What do you think? What would you do?

As an alternative - we have bars of dark 70% chocolate at home, I can always give him a few squares of that with a nice post-dinner coffee (and refrain myself) and he'll be happy. He's an easy-going character, my DarlingHubby.
We have an unavoidable obligation on Friday night, so we are unable to celebrate Valentine's Day properly as a couple. But a bunch of our married friends are all going out for dinner together with us to celebrate Valentine's Day - on Thursday night. We are going to a Chinese restaurant, but I am planning to just order plain steamed vegetables. But I hadn't thought about dessert! I have some Chocoperfection bars; I think I will bring one of those in my purse and eat it when we all end up at the frozen yogurt place after dinner, as we always do when we all go out together.

Hmmm, Thursday is a DownDay. I think I might need to adjust the UD/DD schedule this week.

Last edited by nikki; 02-11-2014 at 02:57 PM..
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #872
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Soooo ... Valentine's day is coming up and I was just wondering how everyone is strategizing around this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Hmmm, Thursday is a DownDay. I think I might need to adjust the UD/DD schedule this week.
Hah! I just juggled my UpDays and DownDays, and then revamped my food plan on Thursday to include plain steamed vegetables at the Chinese restaurant AND a Chocoperfecton bar for afterward. So now it's in my plan! I have some nuts and an egg planned for later in the evening, and I planned my carbs for the day to be super, super low. So, even if they serve me veggies with some starch-based garlic sauce all over it, I can have a helping of that - AND STILL STAY ON PLAN. If that happens, I just have to eliminate the other stuff later on that night and have vegetable broth instead. w00t!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #873
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CK31040
Stats: 142/124/125
WOE: Lower Carb maintenance
Start Date: Dec 27 2013: Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myfuture View Post
Hi all, Doctor's appointment...well ....stunk. Scale was not so pretty, but I'm over it now. New day New perspective. Eating clean today.

going to set a goal picture in my head right now, nice new shorts for summer.

Good luck everyone today.
I had better luck than you today...

I had one of those "know your numbers" things at work today where they weigh you, take your blood for cholesterol, and do your pressure. I swear the scales are always off, said 136, granted i was wearing clothing but still more than I expected. And I am shrinking apparently, lost an inch...haha

Other than that...all my numbers were in the normal range! I'm so proud i have to share!

BP = 103/72 (normal <120/80)
Glucose = 76 (normal 70-99)
Total Cholesteral = 186 (normal <200)
HDL=57
LDL < too low to register apparently, not sure what to think of that.
Trigglycerides - <45 (normal <150)
TC/HDL Ratio = 3.3 (normal <3.5)

Went shopping today since i had to come in early to get this done...they have some really cute shorts out ALREADY. it'll be fun to pick out some new ones come spring.
CK31040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #874
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I plan to make a LC cheese cake and have a few dark chocolate covered nuts...yum

The boyfriend and I arent doing anything since he is driving back to Michigan friday and I have to work 2nd shift all this week. Got to see him at lunch today and that will be pretty much it this week. I'll have to practice making some LC mac n cheese this weekend while he is away since it is one of his favorites and I want to make an awesome meal for this birthday coming up in March. Anyone have a good recipe?
Old 02-12-2014, 05:33 AM   #875
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phase
Stats: 191/80s/30s - 5'3"
WOE: Low Carb/Keto
Start Date: January 2012
I'm at 180.6 this morning. It's been going between 180 and 180.6 for over a week now so I'm hoping for a visit from the whoosh fairy soon!
Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:14 AM   #876
Senior LCF Member

I'm still at 151.4 this morning. My new pattern is to not budge one way or the other for two days, then it seems every third day I get a little whoosh. So I'm hoping tomorrow I will be down another pound. (fingers crossed)

DD today! I am getting ready to eat out with a bunch of other couples at a Chinese restaurant on Thursday night. I am sure I will do fine; I am more worried about language barrier/communication with the server and the chef so that my vegetables come plain/steamed. Even if they toss them in the wok with a little oil, I'm OK with that. As long as they don't have sauce on them. Most sauces at a Chinese restaurant have loads of carbs in them; even the savory Chinese sauces such as garlic sauce have a starch base. I hope my server speaks good English. I have been to this particular restaurant before and some of the servers speak English well but others do not. :/

Last edited by nikki; 02-12-2014 at 08:16 AM..
Old 02-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #877
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: 2 meals low carb, 1 meal my choice no snacks
I think it's normal to feel anxious about eating something "off plan" and it resulting in going back to old ways. I stay clear of the all or nothing thinking, a small piece of dark chocolate or cheesecake, or heck even chocolate covered strawberries shouldn't send anyone thinking they are going to revert back to old eating habits. Valentine's day will not break us. Food cannot control us. I have that mantra every day.

How about HWC on your significant other!!!! yummy LOL
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #878
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vella_marie
Stats: 334.4/315/140
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 1/3/2014
Quote:

I have told the hubby that under no circumstances is he to buy chocolates and he's okay with that. But I did think that maybe I could make a special meal and even *gasp* a LC dessert.
But here's the thing ... I find myself fearful at the prospect of breaking the current eating habits (which are clearly working) with something sweet, Even if it is low carb.
Am I being totally weird here and over-cautious?
What do you think? What would you do?

As an alternative - we have bars of dark 70% chocolate at home, I can always give him a few squares of that with a nice post-dinner coffee (and refrain myself) and he'll be happy. He's an easy-going character, my DarlingHubby.
I do not think you are being overly cautious. Last week was my anniversary and freaked out and cancelled our reservations. I cant trust that there are not hidden carbs in the food. Now if my husband really wanted to go out I would have gotten a salad or something, but I just made his favorite meal and a low carb version of it for myself.

Now do you have to dessert if you are worried about it throwing you off? I think a lot of times we get caught up in traditions I guess or being sentimental, but at the end of the day you don't need desserts to make the day more special. I am not saying it shouldn't be important to you, I don't want to come off sounding like rude or anything. I am one of those weird women that don't really get crazy for valentines, we don't do the all the valentiny stuff I guess, BUT there are other occasions when I would think oh man I just have to make this kind of foods and have these desserts, when in reality I didn't and in the end it threw me off from losing weight.

Personally I will be cooking dinner. My husband appreciates that the most anyway. I don't do desserts not even the low carb ones. I just don't crave sugar anymore and I am scared that it can easily be triggered again. I know we are going to get up really early and hit the farmers market the go hiking for a couple hours. Perhaps go to the beach after and come home for dinner
vella_marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #879
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amin81
Stats: 182.5/143.1/132
WOE: LowCarbHighFat & 16:8
Start Date: 7 Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Hah! I just juggled my UpDays and DownDays, and then revamped my food plan on Thursday to include plain steamed vegetables at the Chinese restaurant AND a Chocoperfecton bar for afterward. So now it's in my plan! I have some nuts and an egg planned for later in the evening, and I planned my carbs for the day to be super, super low. So, even if they serve me veggies with some starch-based garlic sauce all over it, I can have a helping of that - AND STILL STAY ON PLAN. If that happens, I just have to eliminate the other stuff later on that night and have vegetable broth instead. w00t!
Sounds like you've got a great plan there, nikki!
Amin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #880
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK31040 View Post
BP = 103/72 (normal <120/80)
Glucose = 76 (normal 70-99)
Total Cholesteral = 186 (normal <200)
HDL=57
LDL < too low to register apparently, not sure what to think of that.
Trigglycerides - <45 (normal <150)
TC/HDL Ratio = 3.3 (normal <3.5)

Went shopping today since i had to come in early to get this done...they have some really cute shorts out ALREADY. it'll be fun to pick out some new ones come spring.
Awesome, CK! Very well done. Health is so important.
Now go treat yourself to some really cute shorts!
Old 02-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #881
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myfuture View Post
I think it's normal to feel anxious about eating something "off plan" and it resulting in going back to old ways. I stay clear of the all or nothing thinking, a small piece of dark chocolate or cheesecake, or heck even chocolate covered strawberries shouldn't send anyone thinking they are going to revert back to old eating habits. Valentine's day will not break us. Food cannot control us. I have that mantra every day.

How about HWC on your significant other!!!! yummy LOL
In theory, I agree with you. I guess I just feel like it's early days and I don't want to sabotage myself but starting to get lenient too quickly. Because that's exactly what I've done before and then stopped losing. I'm at my "comfort" weight at the moment, my current wardrobe fits nicely and I've not been below this in a Long long time.
But I WANT to keep going this time. 2014 is my year, baby!
So I guess even just knowing this, I should be fine having that piece of dark chocolate ...

And LOL for the HWC on the hubby. Boy would he love that.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #882
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vella_marie View Post
Now do you have to dessert if you are worried about it throwing you off? I think a lot of times we get caught up in traditions I guess or being sentimental, but at the end of the day you don't need desserts to make the day more special. I am not saying it shouldn't be important to you, I don't want to come off sounding like rude or anything. I am one of those weird women that don't really get crazy for valentines, we don't do the all the valentiny stuff I guess, BUT there are other occasions when I would think oh man I just have to make this kind of foods and have these desserts, when in reality I didn't and in the end it threw me off from losing weight.

Personally I will be cooking dinner. My husband appreciates that the most anyway. I don't do desserts not even the low carb ones. I just don't crave sugar anymore and I am scared that it can easily be triggered again.
You are totally not being rude, vella_marie! These are the thoughts I wanted to hear, as even just thinking through the different perspectives will help me come to a good conclusion. So many wise women on here.

We usually don't celebrate either (overshare here but obviously the hubby is more interested in the steak & bj day ...) but it's been 5 weeks now with no cheats and I just thought it could be a nice treat as I found some awesome recipes.
But it's the trigger and slide into being lenient (see my previous post) that concerns me. So basically, still thinking about it.

You guys still had a nice celebration right? Coz you deserve it!
Old 02-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #883
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
just checkin in....still 193.6 this morning....ugh.....better than gaining right!! kutgw everybody!!!
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #884
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayleesa View Post
just checkin in....still 193.6 this morning....ugh.....better than gaining right!! kutgw everybody!!!
I've been stuck at 180.6 for almost two weeks. I'm not thrilled but as you say it is better than gaining! Hang in there!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #885
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You are totally not being rude, vella_marie! These are the thoughts I wanted to hear, as even just thinking through the different perspectives will help me come to a good conclusion. So many wise women on here.

We usually don't celebrate either (overshare here but obviously the hubby is more interested in the steak & bj day ...) but it's been 5 weeks now with no cheats and I just thought it could be a nice treat as I found some awesome recipes.
But it's the trigger and slide into being lenient (see my previous post) that concerns me. So basically, still thinking about it.

You guys still had a nice celebration right? Coz you deserve it!
LMAO I literally burst out laughing in class yesterday! My teacher was lecturing and I had accidently closed the screen with my notes, so I read the post and I was dying hahaha. men.....

I have no clue what we might do. Its so hard to plan things with my DH He is always bringing work home and hes in a masters program, so he is always very busy and stressing. We were supposed to go hiking and do some shopping around and stuff, but now my friend is going with me instead since he said he doesn't want to go out during the day. So hopefully we can do something at night.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #886
Senior LCF Member

Bad news... I gained 1.4 pounds. Not sure how since I do not cheat, I did not introduce new food. I started exercising more. My friends said perhaps I gained muscle, but muscle doesn't build in a week. I am still going to keep doing what I am doing, but dang it just sucks so bad.

Good news is finals are over! I have a week break until Spring semester. I plan on trying to be outside as much as possible. I really need to revitalize myself during this break since Spring semester is going to be a killer. I also need to get organized with meal preparation and exercise. What always happens is, I lose weight during our winter and summer sessions that are shorter, but then I gain weight during the fall and spring because I am so busy. I really do not want to be thrown off again. I also plan on being as active as possible My friend and I are planning on a couple hikes. We are going on one tomorrow close to my house and at least 2 others next week so far
Old 02-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #887
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vella_marie View Post
Bad news... I gained 1.4 pounds. Not sure how since I do not cheat, I did not introduce new food. I started exercising more. My friends said perhaps I gained muscle, but muscle doesn't build in a week. I am still going to keep doing what I am doing, but dang it just sucks so bad.
Sometimes muscle fatigue, especially after weight training, causes water retention in the muscle tissue. It is temporary and natural. No worries!
Old 02-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #888
Senior LCF Member

Half Way Point Of Feb

We are at the halfway point of February today. Took a few min to review my goal for the month. Goal was to drop 2lb and gain/tighten more muscle for 130 weight.
Dropped down to 131 this morning as some of the TOM water retention is easing. I can feel my leg muscles tighter, less jiggle at my thighs, no noticable change at the waist. My BF said he though my butt was smaller but I am not seeing it.
Still more work to do on core and arms this month. Maybe get in on the planking!

Keep it up ladies. A few of us seem to be stalled but not losing the battle! Very minimal backsliding in this group, that is an accomplishment. We are not in the 90+ percent who give up on there new years resolution within the first month or 2.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #889
Major LCF Poster!

woohoo 192.0 this morning......does anyone else notice that when it's a full moon they break their stall.....like the moon has extra gravity pulling my weight up towards it....hahahaha whatever it is i'll take it!!! movin right along!!!
Old 02-15-2014, 02:45 AM   #890
Senior LCF Member

Hey everyone.

I had a good hike today. My friend and I went and did a 3 mile hike. It was my first hike back from the summer so I was nervous it wasn't that bad though. The hills were not that steep until the end but it still wasn't that bad. Then we went to the farmers market. I have a love/ hate relationship with my market now. I love it but, but its so darn tempting. I go and buy stuff for my husband. Breads, honey, jams, fruit and pick up fish tacos. The fish tacos are soooo good! Fresh, not greasy and huge. The only thing I can get now is flowers for myself lol.

I made chicken fajitas and keylime pie for my friend and husband, and just had meat and cheese for my meal.

I FELL ASLEEP haha I was writing this post and knocked out on the couch for 2 hours. I woke up so tired and was going to go to bed but first I had to clean up the kitchen. I cant sleep with a messy kitchen. I feel like a zombie, but then I was like I said I was doing a work out video so I need to do it. It was 11:37 pm but I did it! Now I am happy I pushed myself. NOW its time for bed!
Old 02-15-2014, 05:51 AM   #891
Senior LCF Member

179.6 this morning. Not giving up will pay off eventually. lol
Old 02-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #892
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
Old 02-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #893
Major LCF Poster!

yeah buddy hard work and keep on keepin on paid off a little....yay

Last edited by mayleesa; 02-15-2014 at 02:25 PM..
Old 02-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #894
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
indeed!
Old 02-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #895
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: love2live
Stats: 270.5/245/150
WOE: Atkins - induction **ultimate goal 150**
Start Date: 1/01/2014
Quote:
congratulations on breaking into the 70s!
love2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #896
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK31040 View Post

Keep it up ladies. A few of us seem to be stalled but not losing the battle! Very minimal backsliding in this group, that is an accomplishment. We are not in the 90+ percent who give up on there new years resolution within the first month or 2.
CK thank you for the words of encouragement to all of us. This is such a great support group.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #897
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Quote:
woohoo 192.0 this morning......does anyone else notice that when it's a full moon they break their stall.....like the moon has extra gravity pulling my weight up towards it....hahahaha whatever it is i'll take it!!! movin right along!!!

WooHoo! Way to go!

Mayleesa's Moon Whoosh Fairy

Old 02-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #898
Major LCF Poster!

Well everyone, I don't have scales to weigh myself, but I believe that I am doing pretty okay considering I've had the flu for the past two days. Yesterday, I just took about a whole package of NyQuil (I found out the the capsules have less carbs than the syrup) and slept on the couch all day long. Today, I'm feeling a little bit better, but this really stinks when on vacation.

Hope everyone's Valentine's Day was wonderful !
Old 02-16-2014, 02:32 AM   #899
Senior LCF Member

vella_marie - I too love Farmer's markets. Way to go on staying strong!

love2live - sorry to hear you're not well. =( Hope you get better soon and can enjoy that vacation to the fullest.

CK, mayleesa and Phase - awesome job on the numbers/toning!

And so true CK, very little backsliding in this group, that's awesome to see. We can Totally do this! Together, ladies, together.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:37 AM   #900
Senior LCF Member

Quick update about Valentine's day ... in the end I decided to just stick to the plan.
The main reason being that in 2 weeks time, we're having friends come visit and I know there will be restaurant visits then when I will have to break some of my current rules (for example, there is no chance of having dinner before 8pm).
So I felt like I would hang in there for another two weeks, no cheating, not even "allowed" cheating like LC dessert to hopefully move the scales as much as possible.

I did make a super-creamy broccoli soup, served with grated cheese and bacon and got the hubby some baguette as his "treat". He was delighted.