Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #661
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: way2fluffy
Stats: 215/205/165
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 12/28/13
Glad I checked in. I gained 5 pounds last week for no apparent reason, and just now SLOWLY losing it. And now a standstill. Misery loves company so lets power through it people. Summer will be here before we know it.
way2fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #662
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vella_marie
Stats: 334.4/315/140
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 1/3/2014
Hey Ladies. I hope every is doing well. I need to go through and catch up on all the posts.

I managed to pull myself out of a funk. Long story short, I hate being around negative people. It's like I can literally feel their negative energy attacking me. I am not miss Susie sunshine all the time, but I do try to stay positive and thankful for my life as I can. Then having to avoid some friends that never seems to understand that my body doesn't work like theirs, so yes one bite, one sip of something can make me gain weight. I keep declining friends on their invitations to go out or do anything because they are those persistent types that do not listen, or understand anything outside of what they believe is right or wrong. I guess I just don't want to keep explaining myself, I shouldn't even have too. THEN I had to cancel my trip to Vegas for a veterinary conference because of a conflict that come up. So I was really bummed about that. Then last night I was dreaming about food! Pizza and breadstick haha So I went shopping today and I could literally smell everything! I was thinking why is the happening? I decided to spend sometime outside and now I feel better. I LOVE being outdoors. I can't wait until I lose some more weight. Then I can go hiking again.

I guess it was just one of those weeks! Good news is I didn't cheat even with all the stress. I did think about hitting up my bar, but didn't do that either. I just decided to mediate for and extra half hour then spend sometime outside .

I started to do my rocking body DVDs again. I managed to lose 1 pound this week, so yeah, I wasn't happy at all. Decided I need to do more exercise. I did the first one yesterday, and I will do another tonight. I need to drink more water too.
vella_marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:34 AM   #663
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
I had a pretty good week until last night...I gave in to 4 miller lites my hubby had gotten on my nerves all day, and I just finally caved. ( I know, I know, it was my choice, and I shouldn't blame him for my reactions). I got to get a plan together for when this type of thing happens again. I can't let emotions de-rail all my hard work. Today is a new opportunity....here we go!
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:40 AM   #664
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phase
Stats: 191/80s/30s - 5'3"
WOE: Low Carb/Keto
Start Date: January 2012
Down a lb this morning. It feels like I'll never see the 170s but I know that's only true if I give up.

vella marieIt sounds like you had a rough week! You didn't let it take you down though and attitude is such an important thing when it comes to working towards our goals. So way to go! I hope next week goes better for ya.
Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:42 AM   #665
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthy for life
Stats: 165/156/130 height 5'5"
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: January 3, 2014
hi guys! sorry I haven't checked in for a bit...I was away at a medical conference. I stayed on plan really well last week up until yesterday. after not drinking since jan 1st I had some wine on friday night as I went out for this fabulous dinner at the conference (which I managed to keep pretty low carb) well lets just say the wine hit me like a ton of bricks. I woke up at 3 am with a pounding headache, nausea, you name it. I was sick to my stomach, it was awful. I was not feeling too hot yesterday and had to sit through a whole day of lectures. the only thing that saved me was having some carbs to soak up the alcohol and bring up blood sugar. hangovers on low carb are way worse than normal! funny thing is I probably only had 2 or 3 drinks total. but since I hadn't drank in a while combined with very low carb eating was a bad combination. It's a good lesson to keep on track on for me...I am definitely going to keep drinks to a minimum going forward. not worth the hang over!
Anyways I am back on track today and will weigh in tomorrow to see where I'm at. I am planning to get a 5 k run in today since I have spent the weekend sitting in a conference, I feel like a slug! I have been tracking my steps with my fitbit and I only did 3500 steps all day yesterday at the conference! you are supposed to get 10000. Crazy!
healthy for life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #666
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Well, my little whoosh was nice but here I am two days later and my weight is up .2 to 157.2. I think the mid/upper 150's is a set point for me and the new normal will be a loss of 1 pound every 4 days. This puts me off my goal date but I suppose I can live with it as long as my weight keeps going down. I knew my weight loss would slow down eventually.

On a positive note, my blood sugar is coming down even more and my blood ketones are slowly inching up. Ketones were 1.0 this morning and blood glucose was 79 (right in the zone I am trying for ~ 75-80). I am happy with my decision to add more dietary fat, take out some protein, and add some light weight training. It will make it certain that any weight I lose from here on out is fat. -- Even if my weight loss slows to one pound a week.

I expect to be seeing blood ketone numbers around 1.8 - 2.0 by sometime next week, and glucose in the mid/upper 70's will be just fine.

nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #667
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: love2live
Stats: 270.5/245/150
WOE: Atkins - induction **ultimate goal 150**
Start Date: 1/01/2014
Good morning,
I was so sure I would see drop when I stepped on the scales this morning. But no! Same ole, same ole number...255.0.
I ate some cashews yesterday that were pretty salty so I'm sure that's it and maybe I'm just not eating enough calories.
There's really nothing on the agenda today but to study as usual.
I hope everyone has a wonderful day!
love2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #668
Senior LCF Member

I'm considering doing two lower calorie meat and egg days each week. I've been pinging around the same few pounds for a while and it'd be nice to see if I can get some consistent losses this way. It's cold out today but there's something about the weather that speaks of Spring time and it's making me antsy. lol I have to clean my eating up now and start losing or I'll regret it this summer.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #669
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
I too succumbed to "beer" pressure last night at our holiday recovery party at a moose lodge...up 1lb today and feelin icky.....I don't know why I did it, didn't really have a reason but there were pitchers of coors light everywhere and flowin and I'm a sucker for cold beer......clean this week comin as I'm oncall every night....they just cut my pay at work so more stress has been added and now I need to take call to make up the lost pay....sad HOWEVER I can't drink when I'm oncall right....no extra calories/carbs
mayleesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:50 AM   #670
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MaryThompson
Stats: 286/275/195 @ 5'8"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 26, 2013
Stoic Philosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
Mary what is Stoic Philosophy? I tried to pm you but I couldn't figure out how...
Stoic Philosophy is a philosophy for life crafted by several ancient Greek Philosophers back between 300 BCE to 190 CE. It has several precepts including learning to live simply, be satisfied with what you have rather than always chasing after things you don't have and don't need, and don't worry about things not under your control.

You can read about the basics on Wikipedia, but here's another article, too.
Want An Unconquerable Mind? Try Stoic Philosophy - Forbes
MaryThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:49 AM   #671
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amin81
Stats: 182.5/143.1/132
WOE: LowCarbHighFat & 16:8
Start Date: 7 Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2live View Post
It's amazing, I went many years without loathing what my body looks like and how my clothes fit and the size that I am. Now that I want to lose all this disgusting fat, I am obsessed on a minute by minute basis of how I look and feel.
love2live - this totally rang a bell for me. I wouldn't say I've been "happy" at my weight but now suddenly when I'm on this path, I too am obsessing about losing and just going about wishing that it would go faster. I know it won't and that I just have to stick to it but it's nutty how much the thoughts circulate around it.

And ladies, hang in there! Remember that we're going on four weeks here (well three for me), this is when you just gotta bite down and really focus on summer. We can do it!! Woosh fairies will come all around.
Amin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #672
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CK31040
Stats: 142/124/125
WOE: Lower Carb maintenance
Start Date: Dec 27 2013: Restart
Brrr is it cold today! It was -7 when I was getting ready for work, and the wind blowing 20+ MPH with snow. Decided to call in to work since I'm sure half the people won't be there anyway (schools are all closed pretty much) and the roads would be nasty. -17 is the low today so i wasnt too excited about that either.

Now i'm deciding what all the to do with the day. Have a batch of beef bone broth going on the stove which i'll can later. Probably cook up some hamburger and maybe throw it in there too.

It seems we are all obsessing over pounds (myself included, still at 135) this far in, is anyone cooking up anything new and exciting? Found myself looking in the veggie aisle for inspiration on Friday and found myself with Pak Choy, Diakon Radish, and Rainbow Chard, never having cooked with them. Made some awesome stir-fry and cooked the chard with some oil, garlic and red pepper flakes. I've been searching some of the boards for inspiration but i'm wondering what you all have been chowing on!
CK31040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #673
Major LCF Poster!

I'm going to try to take this week by storm!!!!! Workin out, eating clean....I WANT 160 by JUNE 1.....it's a long shot but I really think I CAN....1 month in for me and I've gone from 209 to 194.6 this morning!!!!! I'm KNOW I can at least be 185 by MARCH 1 RIGHT?!? I'm gonna do this!!! I will think myself THIN....

Feb 1: 190
March 1: 185
April 1: 180
May 1: 175
June 1: 170

I guess is a more realistic view I suppose, 160 would be a dream come true.....well I will certainly try right!!!
Old 01-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #674
Senior LCF Member

Went out and bought some Kerrygold butter, a wedge of Brie, and three other high-quality full-fat cheeses. Gonna revamp my whole fat vs. protein ratio starting with bulletproof coffee for breakfast; tomorrow's an UpDay!

Today's a DownDay so no weigh-in, but determined to stick to plan today. Did some gardening, in a minute I'll be doing my home workout. All day long I will be eating minimally, and then walking 3 miles later on tonight.

Hopefully I'll have a good number tomorrow: weight, blood ketones, and glucose.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #675
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: katyNH
WOE: Low Carb/exercise
Start Date: January 2, 2014
I just finished 2 hardboiled eggs, some pepperoni slices and some cheddar cheese (probably ate more of it than I should have but I was so hungry).

My husband is away over night for work so he made a crock pot of chili so I don't need to cook when I get home. It looks so good that I want to eat it, but I know he used a packaged seasoning and it said 6 carbs, so I don't know if I should eat it or not (it would be nice to NOT have to cook tonight).

I'm really trying to drink at least 50 oz of water. The way I do it, is every time I have to run to the ladies' room, I run to the kitchen after and drink a 10 oz glass of water. I don't enjoy it but I do it anyway. I am cutting my coffee drinking way back. I drink 2 cups in the morning and then try to only have 1 more at the end of the day when I start to drag. This is also cutting my splenda use way down. This past week, I did 2 Zumba classes and 1 yoga class. The yoga class was a nice change of pace (relaxation rather than jumping around like a crazy person).
Friday night I wanted so bad to relax with a drink after a long week at work, but I knew I would hate myself the next day so I didn't...it was tough to not give in!
Hopefully this is a good week for all of us.
katyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #676
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beebug123
Stats: 250.5/205/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 13, 2011
Sounds like several of us had a tough weekend. Sat I have both a Baby Shower and BUNCO to go to. Baby Shower I just didn't eat anything and for BUNCO I made ham with cream cheese wrapped around a pickle and topped with an olive for appetizers. Someone else brought a meat try and I had a few choc dipped strawberries. But then last night I had a friend in town and we went out for Mexican. I may have eaten a lot of tortilla chips and salsa. I also got a chimichanga. I should have gotten a salad but I just didn't want one. I think I just went to too many parties in a row and I just lost my drive?? Surprisingly I weighed 205.5 this morning and this was already after I had eaten breakfast so I'm hoping if I eat on plan all day I might actually have a loss tomorrow. I don't feel like I popped out of ketosis but who knows.
Goal #1 225lbs "first 25" *reached 9/21/11*
Goal #2 214lbs "overweight bmi" *reached 11/12/11*
Goal #3 199.5lbs "onderland" *reached 2/1/12*
Goal #4 178lbs "normal bmi"

Last edited by Beebug123; 01-27-2014 at 02:47 PM..
Beebug123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #677
Major LCF Poster!

I just can't wait to be warm again....we keep our house at 65 day and 64 at night to help keep costs down as it is just soooo cold and our heat pump seems to run constantly....I keep telling myself that being cold burns more calories to keep our internal temp normal....hahahaa....lies im sure but one can hope....at least exercising makes me hot
Old 01-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #678
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2Mayhem
Stats: SW 280.8 / CW 274.2 / GW 160.0
WOE: LCHF + BPC
Start Date: 11/09/14
I would love to join...

I would love to join this challenge--it seems I have alot of reading to get caught up. I really, REALLY want to be 200 lbs by my birthday, July 14.
Mom2Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #679
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley g-ma View Post
I have a g-daughter getting married in July so I know I will be in pictures!
This is a good motivation! You are going to look spectacular!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #680
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValR View Post
It's great to see this group growing!

I'm 46.... My mindset is in the right place to be successful and today was a success with my food and exercising.
I am 43, and like you, this time around, my mind is in the right place as well. I actually feel like it can be done.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #681
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy O View Post
My daughter, 19 is a vegetarian, and when she is home from college (like right now) I make an effort to make low carb vegetarian meals....its tough for me as I have 2 other kids 15 &16 that don't like half the veggies she does
I have five kids with four still living with me. My 15 yo daughter is doing this with me--she is not overweight badly, but she is going to be playing lacrosse in a month or so and wants to get into better shape. It is nice having someone to do this with. My 16 yo daughter is a hit or miss with it--she LOVES her bread but her metabolism can handle it.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #682
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantony View Post
Anita - BPC is Bulletproof Coffee. 2c hot coffee, 2TBSP Coconut Oil, 2 TBSP Butter, 1 TBSP 35% Cream and 1 splenda pkt
I have at least one, sometimes two, BPC a day. I find getting that extra fat in helps alot with appetite suppression.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #683
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Mayhem View Post
I would love to join this challenge--it seems I have alot of reading to get caught up. I really, REALLY want to be 200 lbs by my birthday, July 14.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #684
Senior LCF Member

I am soooooo sore!!! I did videos from Rockin Body. I did Shaun Ts Dance Party and Booty time. Well my butt feels fine its my calves!!!! OUCHIE!!!!

My shoes came in I am so excited. I love Vibrams so much. I have flat feet and I have broken them 3 times, plus the last time I broke my right foot it didn't heal right These are the only shoes I can wear without pain.

Made it through another stressful day! I swear I was 5 seconds from hitting up my bar. I was fuming mad and was thinking dang I can use a shot of patron! BUT I didn't! I worked out instead, and since I was super stressed I did two workouts. Felt great after

Last edited by vella_marie; 01-27-2014 at 09:38 PM..
Old 01-27-2014, 09:55 PM   #685
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2live View Post
Okay, I will join you on this! I agree daily weighing is aweful...the scales are either an upper or a downer, and bingeing thoughts come with the downers. It's a win/win situation since Jan 31st's weigh in ought to be an upper.

Does any one here use ketosis sticks?
I weigh myself daily and log it so that I can print a graphic chart showing my progress. I may have a day that is up or no loss, but the visual is still a downward movement instead of up. I need that visual--it helps me to see that the days that are down are more than the days that are up or stalled.

I use Ketostix, and I use them once or twice a day. I am currently in Moderate to Large. This is the first time I have ever used them, and I find them to be a handy tool. There was once day where I ate more carbs than I should, and it showed. It allowed me to tweek my diet back to where it should have been.
I am 5' 7.25" tall and 44 years young

Goal: 60 miles by Dec 31st – 3 down

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
Old 01-28-2014, 01:58 AM   #686
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amin81
Stats: 182.5/143.1/132
WOE: LowCarbHighFat & 16:8
Start Date: 7 Jan 2014
So nice to see so much energy and determination in here. I really admire everyone's drive. You go girls!
And welcome, Mom2Mayhem, you're in the right place for a fantastic group!

Tuesday, weigh-in day. Always just as scary, but once again good news!
Last week: 78.3 kg (172.6)
This week: 77.3 kg (170.4)

I'm still sceptical of my scales though because I don't "feel" like I'm at 77 kg. So I did the other test: I got out a dress that I would not have fit into 3 weeks ago and sure enough, it sits just fine. Sadly the weather is too cold to wear it but give it another few weeks (and hopefully another few pounds) and it will be splendid!
Amin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:01 AM   #687
Senior LCF Member

Down 2.8 this morning! 180.2! So close to the 170s. I ended up fasting until 5:30 yesterday because I was stuck at the doctors office so I'll prolly see that number bounce back up, yet again. Lol
Old 01-28-2014, 07:29 AM   #688
Senior LCF Member

Yeah! Down another .8 to 156.4 today!

I think the higher fat/lower protein/light exercise combination is working. This morning my blood ketones tested at their highest yet (1.6 - FINALLY in the optimal range!) and my glucose was 89. Perfect! I am looking forward to my second UpDay with higher fat. I bought some really high quality full-fat cheeses and a block of Kerrygold butter. Drinking my bulletproof coffee right now.

BTW I have something to say about Kerrygold butter. As a long-time vegetarian, I have noticed that these days, (cheap, factory-farm produced) butter tastes like beef fat and not like a dairy product. Well, yesterday I had my first taste of Kerrygold butter and I have to say, it tastes like I remember butter tasting when I was a kid. Back when cows were raised on real farms and got to roam around in grassy fields.

From the Kerrygold package: "In Ireland cows graze on the green pastures of small family farms. This milk is then churned to make Kerrygold butter."

I say YES to this farming model and I will gladly pay the difference. I wish our local farmers would also do this.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #689
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Mayhem View Post

You can do it! And you're gonna look great!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #690
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayleesa View Post
I just can't wait to be warm again....we keep our house at 65 day and 64 at night to help keep costs down as it is just soooo cold and our heat pump seems to run constantly....I keep telling myself that being cold burns more calories to keep our internal temp normal....hahahaa....lies im sure but one can hope....at least exercising makes me hot
Oh, burr......
I like the goals you set for yourself! You are going to look awesome!