Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 03:14 AM   #631
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MaryThompson
Stats: 286/275/195 @ 5'8"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 26, 2013
Hogging the Whoosh Fairy

I certainly didn't mean to hog the Whoosh Fairy - If I could send her around to all of you I would.

I almost didn't weigh myself this morning... I don't weigh every day, just when I feel like it, which sometimes ends up as once a week, or daily, or morning and night.

Anyway, I did weigh myself. 275! which means I hit my mini-goal for January already! I'm so tickled about it, too.

I'm so used to being disappointed, not seeing downward movement on the scale, that when it does happen it doesn't seem real. But when I stay on plan - which is sometimes easy and sometimes not, as you all know - then it happens almost magically.

Thanks to you all for the encouragement. Next mini-goal is 270 by the end of February. Which DOES sound magically impossible, because I haven't seen that number is many years. It's been longer ago than last time I saw 275.

This may be my year after all.
MaryThompson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2014, 03:25 AM   #632
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthy for life
Stats: 165/156/130 height 5'5"
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: January 3, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2live View Post
Nitrates

I wanted to add my two cents worth since I study this field chemically. Both nitrates and nitrates are injected and sprayed all over our meats as a preserve and a color enhancer. At times Clorox and ammonia may be even usedt I prevent pink slime on our meats. Pink slime, what is that? Eeew!

I can tell you first hand that meat unless it is something like ham that is going to be cured should not contain nitrates. Salt was used in the olden days as a meat preserver because a lot of people did not have refrigeration. I grew up on a cattle/pig ranch and there was no need to ever add nitrates to our meats. Now we use synthetic nitrates.

Now, nitrates and nitrites that are added to our meats are synthetically made. These molecules have different arrangements, same molecular formula then the ones that our own bodies produce. When we eat vegetables our bodies break down the plant material and nitrite is a byproduct. There is one catch, we need something called precursors in order to break down the plants which then releases nitrites in our body. The precursors are found in vitamin C and in E. In other words, to counteract the synthetic nitrites that is injected into bacon, one must drink a glass of orange juice, for example, to counteract the interaction with amines.

This is getting complicated now but you need the combination to prevent the possibility of future cancers. If nitrites are able to bond with amines, nitrosamines are created. These are really bad in your body. And if you like your bacon crispy it will contain more nitrosamines. Nitrosamines are an evil little compounds that are carcinogenic. Now, I'm not saying not to eat bacon or foods injected with sodium nitrate or nitrate because I think that there should be a bacon scented air freshener, but lo carbing and nitrates just don't mix since the precursors are out of the question--like a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.

However, the risk of infected meats such as E. coli, botulism, or salmonella far outweighs nitrosamines developing in your body if one chooses to eat cured meats containing nitrates.

Here's an alarming stastic--The forth leading cause of death in the US is COPD; Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Eating cured meats containing nitrates doubles your risk for lung disease. Eating cured meats containing nitrate more than 14 times a month nearly doubled their risk of COPD.

The more I learn, the less meat I want to eat. Vegetarian is just right Round the corner.
Thanks for taking the time to explain all this...I am a total science and reserach nerd too What do you think of the "naturals" brand of cold cuts, that apparently don't contain nitrates? I think the biggest risk of nitrates is more for the gastrointestinal cancers like stomach cancer. Did not know about the COPD link. But as a nurse I have to tell you that the #1 cause of COPD is smoking by far. I have tried being a vegetarian/vegan so many times. I love animals and can't stand the thought of what they do them in factory farms. I got big into the vegan movement a few years ago and read a ton of stuff like The China Study, watched forks over knives, Eat to Live, etc...it is so opposite to low carb but they have strong arguments on their side too. I'm all about finding a WOE that works for you as an individual. I dont' think there is a one size fits all. My best friend is a vegan and is the picture of health and slim and trim. Has anyone else every tried being a vegetarian or vegan?
healthy for life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:31 AM   #633
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MaryThompson
Stats: 286/275/195 @ 5'8"
Start Date: Dec 26, 2013
Watching Others Eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amin81 View Post
While taking my morning walk, I was happily looking around, enjoying the fact that while it was quite chilly out, the rain had stopped and I could actually get outside without being drenched. So happy me.
But Then! I kept walking past all these women, skinny women, happily munching on their morning croissants. How not fair is that?! I could Never Ever start eating those for breakfast (mostly because I could likely never stop at just one and would need to eat like three once I got started).

It's not the bread they're eating.... it's your feelings about the bread and their eating it that's causing you the unhappiness. If you want to avoid these unhappy feelings in the future, you must change how you feel about bread in general and croissants in particular, and maybe about skinny women, or other people eating.

I know that sounds a bit wacko and out there, and I'm going to get a bit off-topic for a moment, but I'm a firm believer in the Stoic Philosophy. Ancient Stoicism isn't what it is popularly believed to be, nor will it interfere with your other (religious or ethical) beliefs. It's mostly a way of thinking about the world that allows for the greatest inner peace and the least inner turbulence.

If you're interested, read "A Guide to the Good Life" by William Irvine. It's a philosophy book, but written for laypeople, so it's not complicated or esoteric. It's filled with down-to-earth examples about modern life.

Anyway, that's my two cents. You can't control what other people do, but you can control your feelings about it - at least to some extent - which is all that's necessary.

Hope that helps. (and sorry if I went too far afield. Email or PM me if you want to know more.)
MaryThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:12 AM   #634
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Congrats on you loss Mary. I think that the Feb. Goal is looking pretty good right now
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:19 AM   #635
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Well Guys, I only lost .6 this week. That makes my 3 week total loss 4#. I guess that is pretty good for me because, I knew that I wouldn't have the big water weight drop, I don't have a whole lot to lose, and I am 4'11". Also, this week, I didn't log my food except for a couple of days (on purpose)-not sure how this affected it one way or the other, oh yeah...I did have some light beers on Friday night, maybe that stalled me??
All in all, I have lost weight, lost inches, not feeling real deprived, so at the end of the day I am going to choose to be happy with my results so far.

I might try another week of not logging every day and see how next week unfolds.
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:25 AM   #636
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phase
Stats: 191/80s/30s - 5'3"
WOE: Low Carb/Keto
Start Date: January 2012
I'm back up a pound this morning. lol Stinkin' TOM makes me want to eat all the things so I had way more food than I needed yesterday along with two quest bars. I woke up starving so I'm pretty sure I'm out of ketosis. Up side, if I make it through this week I'll prolly see a nice little whoosh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2live View Post
Nitrates

I wanted to add my two cents worth since I study this field chemically. Both nitrates and nitrates are injected and sprayed all over our meats as a preserve and a color enhancer. At times Clorox and ammonia may be even usedt I prevent pink slime on our meats. Pink slime, what is that? Eeew!

I can tell you first hand that meat unless it is something like ham that is going to be cured should not contain nitrates. Salt was used in the olden days as a meat preserver because a lot of people did not have refrigeration. I grew up on a cattle/pig ranch and there was no need to ever add nitrates to our meats. Now we use synthetic nitrates.

Now, nitrates and nitrites that are added to our meats are synthetically made. These molecules have different arrangements, same molecular formula then the ones that our own bodies produce. When we eat vegetables our bodies break down the plant material and nitrite is a byproduct. There is one catch, we need something called precursors in order to break down the plants which then releases nitrites in our body. The precursors are found in vitamin C and in E. In other words, to counteract the synthetic nitrites that is injected into bacon, one must drink a glass of orange juice, for example, to counteract the interaction with amines.

This is getting complicated now but you need the combination to prevent the possibility of future cancers. If nitrites are able to bond with amines, nitrosamines are created. These are really bad in your body. And if you like your bacon crispy it will contain more nitrosamines. Nitrosamines are an evil little compounds that are carcinogenic. Now, I'm not saying not to eat bacon or foods injected with sodium nitrate or nitrate because I think that there should be a bacon scented air freshener, but lo carbing and nitrates just don't mix since the precursors are out of the question--like a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.

However, the risk of infected meats such as E. coli, botulism, or salmonella far outweighs nitrosamines developing in your body if one chooses to eat cured meats containing nitrates.

Here's an alarming stastic--The forth leading cause of death in the US is COPD; Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Eating cured meats containing nitrates doubles your risk for lung disease. Eating cured meats containing nitrate more than 14 times a month nearly doubled their risk of COPD.

The more I learn, the less meat I want to eat. Vegetarian is just right Round the corner.
Thank you love2live! So would the bacon with "no nitrates except the nitrates from celery juice" be a better choice since they aren't the synthetic kind or does it still have the same problems since you aren't getting it from a whole plant? Sorry if that's a dumb question. lol
We always had deer meat growing up but it was taken to a business that processed and wrapped the cuts for us. I'm going to have to check with them to see what exactly they do with our meat now. lol
Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:39 AM   #637
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
My weight still wants to stay at the exact same number it has been for the past five days: 158.4, in spite of the fact that I completely changed what I ate yesterday and added a bunch of different exercise that I don't usually do. I think I have found my first "set point". It's really only been five days so I'm not in a panic yet, but I'm definitely going to be mixing it up again today.

But now I am so sore! I am sure I am retaining water in my muscle tissue because I did some serious muscle work yesterday. I have a massage envy gift card in my desk I have been saving for sometime when my body was sore from working out; I think I may need to use it today. I wonder if they can take a walk-in? It would be only the second massage I have ever had in my life. Ordinarily we are too broke for such luxuries.

Bet I will have a nice whoosh after my massage releases all the fluids and any toxins I have been holding on to for days.

nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #638
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ValR
Stats: 178/153/140
Way to go, Mary!
ValR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #639
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
well 195.2 today, same as last week, I guess good I haven't gained....sad cause I was hoping for 193 tomorrow....heck anything less than this would've been nice....I just hate that ALLLLL this week I have been so incredibly HUNGRY...like I can't get enough food into my body!!! this SUCKS cause I'm going to bed hungry and waking up hungry....eating between 1900-2200 calories a day, low carb, moderate protein, high fat :
fat: 141.56g

protein: 87.41g

carbs: 14.21g net carbs: 9.21g

ive been singing to my body, SAY SOMETHING I'm GIVING UP ON YOU......

Last edited by mayleesa; 01-23-2014 at 03:52 PM..
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #640
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fran1963
Stats: 179/155/135 5'3"
Start Date: Jan 2009
I am also at the same weight today also. At least there was no gain . Staying busy tonight to keep munchies at bay and prepared deviled eggs if all else fails. Maybe tomorrow will be my day!
fran1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #641
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beebug123
Stats: 250.5/205/175
Start Date: July 13, 2011
Today was a tough day. My younger daughter was really challenging today and pushing the limits. So hard not to just eat because I was angry. Just made a huge salad for dinner... hopefully tomorrow will be easier.
Beebug123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:15 AM   #642
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amin81
Stats: 182.5/143.1/132
WOE: LowCarbHighFat & 16:8
Start Date: 7 Jan 2014
Thanks Mary! I was just having a grouchy day, I think. Better today. And way to go on your loss! Mini-goals for the win!

Beebug - hang in there! Come visit us when you want to eat, we'll provide the emotional cuddles, so much better than the food. =)

It's a grey grey day here and I'm feeling tired in my body. Might be because I hit 20384 steps yesterday (combination of morning walk, then shopping and walking home from that). So I've decided to skip the morning walk today and get my steps in this afternoon instead. Gotta listen to the body, right?

Happy Friday everyone. We made it through another week!
Amin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:19 AM   #643
Senior LCF Member

Oh one more thing - I've been doing the 16:8 fasting for 4 days now without problems. Cutting out breakfast is more of a relief than a burden
It'll be real interesting come Tuesday to see what kind of an impact it has on the scales. With feeling tired today, I also feel heavy but will resist the scales and just take it easy.
signing out for now.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:24 AM   #644
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayleesa View Post
...anything less than this would've been nice....I just hate that ALLLLL this week I have been so incredibly HUNGRY...like I can't get enough food into my body!!! this SUCKS cause I'm going to bed hungry and waking up hungry....eating between 1900-2200 calories a day,

ive been singing to my body, SAY SOMETHING I'm GIVING UP ON YOU......
Don't give up! It's sooo frustrating but it does work. I just met a man who said he took two years to lose 40 pounds. He said it may have taken a long time but he did it with lifestyle changes and now the changes are permanent. He said he still has 12 pounds to go and he expects it to take another year. I was amazed at his patience. But he really had the right idea.

I was stuck at the same exact weight for about a week, so I decided to change things up and see if I could shake up my metabolism a bit.

The past few days I did different exercises than I usually do and ate foods I don't usually eat. Nothing particularly bad, just different: different veggies than usual, a low-carb muffin, more eggs and no MorningStar burgers, etc.

It worked! I had a whoosh and now my weight is down 1.4 pounds.

NSV's: I can feel my body getting stronger; little things like reaching for something on a high shelf, sitting up in bed, etc. are starting to feel easier. Also my legs are feeling firmer to the touch. AND I finally squeezed into my next size down jeans. Have to wear them with Spanx, but still, I was able to get them over my thighs, so that's something, right? w00t!
Old 01-24-2014, 06:42 AM   #645
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: katyNH
WOE: Low Carb/exercise
Start Date: January 2, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Don't give up! It's sooo frustrating but it does work. I just met a man who said he took two years to lose 40 pounds. He said it may have taken a long time but he did it with lifestyle changes and now the changes are permanent. He said he still has 12 pounds to go and he expects it to take another year. I was amazed at his patience. But he really had the right idea.

I was stuck at the same exact weight for about a week, so I decided to change things up and see if I could shake up my metabolism a bit.

The past few days I did different exercises than I usually do and ate foods I don't usually eat. Nothing particularly bad, just different: different veggies than usual, a low-carb muffin, more eggs and no MorningStar burgers, etc.

It worked! I had a whoosh and now my weight is down 1.4 pounds.

NSV's: I can feel my body getting stronger; little things like reaching for something on a high shelf, sitting up in bed, etc. are starting to feel easier. Also my legs are feeling firmer to the touch. AND I finally squeezed into my next size down jeans. Have to wear them with Spanx, but still, I was able to get them over my thighs, so that's something, right? w00t!
Awesome! What types of exercises are you doing? I've been strictly doing Zumba just because I don't know what I am doing with the machines at the YMCA(need to get some help). I would like to work on toning my stomach and my butt and thighs.
katyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #646
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: love2live
Stats: 270.5/245/150
WOE: Atkins - induction **ultimate goal 150**
Start Date: 1/01/2014
Good morning all,

I thought I'd check in this morning since yesterday I was on a fast track. The scales are not moving and this is the time that I want to eat a can of frosting. I get so discouraged when I don't get some sort of confirmation that I'm losing when I'm sticking to plan. Even a 10th of a point will do for me.

I've lost a whopping 15 pounds since the beginning of the year and you can't even tell. I split my pants when I sat down at the DMV counter yesterday. Oh what fun. My DH kept reaching over and poking my skin that was squeezing out and the DMV employee thought we were laughing at her.

love2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #647
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beebug123
Stats: 250.5/205/175
Start Date: July 13, 2011
Thanks Amin!
love2live...15lbs is a great accomplishment!

My scale is taunting me. Last weekend I hit 204.5 and then the next day I was at 206. Now I have been at 205 for the week. It will flash between 204.5 and 205 but it always goes to 205. Today my youngest is in a much better mood. I told the girls if they can finish their school work quickly enough we can go to the zoo before ballet rehearsals. It will be nice to get some walking in this week.
Beebug123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #648
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheWindCriesMary
Stats: 230/218/160
WOE: Low carb vegetarian
Start Date: January 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebug123 View Post
Thanks Amin!
love2live...15lbs is a great accomplishment!

My scale is taunting me. Last weekend I hit 204.5 and then the next day I was at 206. Now I have been at 205 for the week. It will flash between 204.5 and 205 but it always goes to 205. Today my youngest is in a much better mood. I told the girls if they can finish their school work quickly enough we can go to the zoo before ballet rehearsals. It will be nice to get some walking in this week.
Same here! I got to 218 then immediately went back up to 220 and now I've been hovering between 219 and 220 for a week! Frustrated!!
TheWindCriesMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #649
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyathome
Well I did some reading around on the board. I am going to implement Fast 5 with principles from Carbohydrate Addicts Diet. I need to shake things up. My weight had climbed back up to 144. After two days of Fast 5 it' s back down to 143. I think I will record daily weights and get a weekly average to compare.
ladyathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #650
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyNH View Post
Awesome! What types of exercises are you doing? I've been strictly doing Zumba just because I don't know what I am doing with the machines at the YMCA(need to get some help). I would like to work on toning my stomach and my butt and thighs.
I was walking 3 miles with 22 pounds of weights (a weight vest, ankle weights, and wrist weights) four times a week. Which I am still doing, BTW. But I added free weights at home: biceps curls, triceps extensions, rows, lateral lifts, flies, etc. I added 10 minute solutions abs (mat work), stretching/yoga, and I also added Bosu crunches and Bosu squats. The squats are so amazing! They are really difficult but they work your muscles in a way no other exercise can. Look up bosu squats on Youtube and you will see what they look like. I do the difficult ones with the flat side up.

So far everything I am doing is at home. I will be going back to the gym soon; I have to wait until I can fit back in to my workout clothes because I am not buying new clothes at this time. At home I can work out in my PJ's.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #651
Senior LCF Member

I am up 1.4lb in addition to the pound I was up yesterday. I'm just eating wayy too much food but that's how it usually goes with TOM for me. Actually it's usually a carb free for all so this is a bit better. lol
Old 01-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #652
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fran1963
Stats: 179/155/135 5'3"
Start Date: Jan 2009
Friday!! Was a crazy day too...down to 154.6 this am. I'll take it! Hope it will continue downwards. Need to hit the store and stock up on on the to go items, makes or breaks me every time. Hope everyone stays warm and enjoys the weekend. See you soon.
fran1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #653
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
oh I wont give up....I wont give up, I wont give up I wont give up but nope,, I wont give up........I WANNA be thin dang it....I got on the elliptical last night and revved it up a notch and did my 6th night of callanetics....I practiced deep breathing last night also while in bed...and low and behold....194.6....ok, its working....I'm not giving up

thanks for the encouragement...I just get in such a funk when I feel my best efforts aren't good enough....I will hang on to this for dear life and think about that man who waited 2 years....I am NOT a patient person, I WANT IT NOW....

Last edited by mayleesa; 01-24-2014 at 03:04 PM..
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #654
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jacki
Stats: 227/197/127
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotay60 View Post
Jacki, the m&m gave me a stomach ache
Awe man, what a bummer!!
How about the peanut butter cup?
Jacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #655
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jacki
Stats: 227/197/127
Start Date: January 2013
Mary what is Stoic Philosophy? I tried to pm you but I couldn't figure out how...
Jacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:27 AM   #656
Senior LCF Member

Just a quick good morning and happy weekend everyone!

My hubby gets home this morning so I'm practically dancing around the apartment, I'm so happy.

Hope everyone has a good one and looking forward to reading lots more success from you all.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:38 AM   #657
Senior LCF Member

I'm up another .6 to 184.0 this morning. Gotta get my eating under control today.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #658
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CK31040
Stats: 142/124/125
WOE: Lower Carb maintenance
Start Date: Dec 27 2013: Restart
rough weeks

Sounds like a lot of us had a rough week too.

My bf went to Tennessee for work monday to wednesday and came home off a carb binge from going to resturants with a coworker. I of course was felling pretty sick by then and had no ambition to cook. Made some bad decisions such as breaded fish sticks and icecream from the freezer. I cant bring myself to get rid of that stuff since his son is coming out for spring break in a few months and i know he will eat it up. Ended up buying a box of tangerines since they were way cheaper than buying the individual ones. Still working on those although i seem to be past the worst of my cold after taking thursday off from work. A lot of people are sick in the office. Good news i guess is that i am only up .4 lb this morning and should be able to kick that in a few days.

Went shopping yesterday and took some meat out of the freezer so i should be able to prep for a good lc week. Back to 100 percent lc choices on monday get rid of the sweet fruit this weekend. See if i can knock another pound off before feb.

Hoping next week will be smoother for all of us! This blog does help keep me on course
CK31040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #659
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: love2live
Stats: 270.5/245/150
WOE: Atkins - induction **ultimate goal 150**
Start Date: 1/01/2014
Good morning everyone,

I haven't had time really to read the last days posts but I will get to them later this afternoon.

My scales are tormenting me, I did not lose a 10th of a pound last week. My DH tells me to just to be patient and wait because he has seen this one too many times before and knows I will have a visit from the whoosh fairy.
It's amazing, I went many years without loathing what my body looks like and how my clothes fit and the size that I am. Now that I want to lose all this disgusting fat, I am obsessed on a minute by minute basis of how I look and feel.
love2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #660
Senior LCF Member

Today's a DownDay. Saturday DownDays are the worst! I'd better keep busy today or I'm going to be miserable.

I plan to finish up a customer order, clean up the house, and then do some gardening.

Yesterday we went out to eat for DH's birthday and I ordered a plain Greek salad with avocado subbed for the chicken. It was delicious and I stayed on plan.