Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 04:57 AM   #601
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthy for life
Stats: 165/156/130 height 5'5"
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: January 3, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK31040 View Post
No i don't think its the atkins flu, i have never had those symptoms with this diet before. I can feel it in the back of my throat and sinuses, first thought it was allergies going haywire but it didnt go away at work like it normally would.

I'm not as worried about coming out of Ketosis if its only for a few days, only 10lb to my goal weight. Plan to eat all the same low carb food with just addition of a few citrus fruits. It seems to work better with real food than just the C-pills alone. This morning only up .2 lb so not too much water gain yet.

On the fruit thing, one of my books is saying its allowable to have one piece of LC fruit per meal which it includes fresh peaches, berries, etc. Fruit is ok as long as you stick to small quantity and try to pick some with more fiber. I normally stick to 1/day when trying to lose, for example 1/2 cup unsweetened frozen blueberries in plain unsweetened yogurt w/ slivered almonds & splenda. Its worth the variety and antioxidants if your body can handle it. I freeze my own blueberries and sour cherries in the summer so i know whats in them and they are of good quality.

Blueberries 1/2 cup is 7.5 net carbs
Yogurt 1 cup count as 4 (i've read to count it this way vs package count)

Hope this helps
I find that blueberries I can tolerate very well too! I will often add some frozen blueberries to full fat plain greek yogurt, throw in a splenda packet and throw is my vitamix for a low carb ice cream! It's so good and never seems to affect my loss. Getting sick is the worst..do you what you need to do get better. You have so little if any to lose so you can tolerate more carbs than most...
healthy for life is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #602
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: katyNH
WOE: Low Carb/exercise
Start Date: January 2, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValR View Post
The

The leader at my weight watchers will not discuss exercise at all. I struggle with this because of the health benefits of exercise. I've read several posts on this board from people saying the wish they had exercised while losing their weight so they were more toned. It makes me wonder if being fit and toned is better than being at my goal weight.
I agree, it's strange to think of exercise as a disadvantage?
katyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #603
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
Yup Katy!! It's your diet. Sorry kiddo, but NO fruit. Period. It's as bad as picking up a Hershey Bar during induction and OWL. Fructose is the sugar in fruit and super high in carbs. Bet if you swap the fruit for a small salad and add a bit of fat to your breakfast you'll see changes immediately. You can have 2 Splenda packets a day - so no worries on giving that up . Fruit will come after you loose all of your weight and are in maintenance. Good news?? Get to OWL and berries are allowed!!

Do you have a smart phone? If so get the free Atkins app. It will track everything you eat and show you your remaining carb count for the day. It's AWESOME!! And- the app has the rules for each stage and the allowable foods listed so you can refer to it as needed. There is a forum on the online part but this one is far better - so stay with us. Just get the app!

Hope you don't get socked as badly as I am right now - SE MA coast... Blizzard zone. You know you're in for it when The Weather Channel is in your town
We got barely a dusting but it is FREEZING. We were expecting 3-5" so I am not sure what happened there. It's OK because it means the kids have school. I'll cut out the fruit and look into getting the APP. I remember South Beach was the same, no fruit...thanks for the advice!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:35 AM   #604
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyathome
Good morning all.

144 today.So the scale is going in the wrong direction. I am not giving up but am looking around on the board here and considering other plans. I may incorporate IF and follow Carb Addicts Diet principles. Not sure yet.

Keep up the good work.
ladyathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #605
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyathome
Sorry-doubld post.
ladyathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:49 AM   #606
Junior LCF Member

I've been searching the web trying to make my life easier and make sure I am on track with what to eat and what not to eat. I'll take out the fruit. I found this list. Would you agree with it? Do you agree the cheese should be HIGH FAT?

Shopping list for beginners
Print this list and bring it to the store:

•Butter
•Heavy cream (40% fat)
•Sour cream (34% fat)
•Eggs
•Bacon
•Meat (minced, steaks, stew pieces, fillets, etc.)
•Fish (preferably fatty fish like salmon or mackerel)
•Cheese (preferably high-fat)
•Turkish yoghurt (10% fat)
•Cabbage (cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, etc.)
•Other vegetables that grow above ground
•Frozen vegetables (broccoli, wok vegetables, etc.)
•Avocados
•Olives
•Olive oil
•Nuts
Old 01-22-2014, 07:16 AM   #607
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthy for life
Stats: 165/156/130 height 5'5"
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: January 3, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2live View Post
I have been so worried for the last couple of hours that I may hav e been to harsh. I took a trip into town to donate 6 huge bags of clothing to the thrift store and couldn't stop thinking about what I said. I am so relieved to see that you were appreciative of what I posted. I feel deeply honored to have you as a lo-carb friend who will not shy away when times get tough or postings sound tough.

I hear you about the weight thing. I am so darn tall that my friends and family will say to me, ah you don't need to lose any weight, you're big boned. I say that no one should be 255 pounds. I can't even sit cross legged. And besides, I am not big boned, I am petite boned anyway *stomp, stomp

I cannot wait to hear about your fitbit force!
I hate to think you worried about offending me! Not at all, not even a little bit. I am a very practical and straight forward person, it takes a lot to offend me, LOL! I am loving the fitbit force, highly recommend!! This will be first full day wearing it. I love that you can see how many steps you have taken on the wrist band. I am aiming for 10, 000 every day. plus it tells you how many calories you are burning- I logged my calories yesterday and was well over 2000. Yikes, even though we don't have to count calories on low carb we still need to be mindful that we aren't eating way too many. Especially those of us closer to our goal weight. I did not work out at all yesterday so that was too much for me. It also tracks your sleep, really cool! I ordered Jonathan Bailors new book The Calorie Myth, can't wait to read that. I really addresses calories and low carb I've heard. I will report back after I read it!
healthy for life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:33 AM   #608
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Stuck at exactly the same weight, 158.4, as I was two days ago last time I weighed in.

I will be mixing it up today, though I am not sure how just yet. I think my body is getting complacent with what I have been doing, so today I will shake up my diet (I usually eat the same things each UpDay) and add in some exercise I don't usually do.

Busy day today, driving carpool, classes in the morning, grocery shopping, and ladies' Bible study in the evening.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:31 AM   #609
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: love2live
Stats: 270.5/245/150
WOE: Atkins - induction **ultimate goal 150**
Start Date: 1/01/2014
Good early morning,

While in town yesterday, I stopped by the swim center and purchased a month pass. I figured I needed to start exercising to boost my weight loss along. The pool air smelled so good as I was reminded of those care free summer days as a child.

My studying isn't going too well and I must refocus or I'm gonna be in trouble here shortly. I absolutely love learning, but definitely am not a reader. I learn visually and hands on, so this type of learning is a struggle for me.

Here to my first day at the pool exercising:

Have a great day everyone!
love2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #610
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Katy, is that from the diet doctor? I think that it looks exactly right.
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #611
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotay60 View Post
Katy, is that from the diet doctor? I think that it looks exactly right.
LOL, yes it is. I didn't know if it was OK to post a link so I copied and pasted!
Old 01-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #612
Junior LCF Member

I was just on the Atkins website and now I am a bit concerned about the turkey breast I have been buying to eat as a roll up for lunch. It's roasted but not honey roasted, now I am wondering if I should stop eating that due to the nitrate concern?
I work full time, often I don't even leave for lunch so I like to bring something quick and convenient, so the roll ups were perfect. Now I'm not so sure.
Since I am "stalled" I am looking at what I am doing and trying to tweak it. I'm going to really try and cut down my Splenda. I am going to try my green tea with nothing but I am not looking forward to it.
Do any of you snack on pepperoni? I buy the pre sliced type at the store and put it in my kids' lunches from time to time...I love it, but I am afraid if I start eating it, I won't stop.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #613
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phase
Stats: 191/80s/30s - 5'3"
WOE: Low Carb/Keto
Start Date: January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyNH View Post
It's roasted but not honey roasted, now I am wondering if I should stop eating that due to the nitrate concern?
I read an article called "the nitrate and nitrite myth another reason not to fear bacon" and this is what was said about that stuff.

"It may surprise you to learn that the vast majority of nitrate/nitrite exposure comes not from food, but from endogenous sources within the body. (1) In fact, nitrites are produced by your own body in greater amounts than can be obtained from food, and salivary nitrite accounts for 70-90% of our total nitrite exposure. In other words, your spit contains far more nitrites than anything you could ever eat.

When it comes to food, vegetables are the primary source of nitrites. On average, about 93% of nitrites we get from food come from vegetables. It may shock you to learn that one serving of arugula, two servings of butter lettuce, and four servings of celery or beets all have more nitrite than 467 hot dogs. (2) And your own saliva has more nitrites than all of them! So before you eliminate cured meats from your diet, you might want to address your celery intake. And try not to swallow so frequently."

I'm not sure how true this is but it's worth looking into. The warnings about nitrates come from the same people who spread the hate about saturated fat. Also, I LOVE snacking on pepperoni slices! They're awesome with a bit of cheese. lol
Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #614
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phase
Stats: 191/80s/30s - 5'3"
WOE: Low Carb/Keto
Start Date: January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2live View Post
Phase, you are really doing great lately! I see you over on the other challenge, the lose 5# one. Keep up the good work.
Thank you for the encouragement! The 5# challenges rock because I really like having a smaller goal I can focus on instead of thinking about the 50 something lbs I want to drop. lol
Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #615
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
I read an article called "the nitrate and nitrite myth another reason not to fear bacon" and this is what was said about that stuff.

"It may surprise you to learn that the vast majority of nitrate/nitrite exposure comes not from food, but from endogenous sources within the body. (1) In fact, nitrites are produced by your own body in greater amounts than can be obtained from food, and salivary nitrite accounts for 70-90% of our total nitrite exposure. In other words, your spit contains far more nitrites than anything you could ever eat.

When it comes to food, vegetables are the primary source of nitrites. On average, about 93% of nitrites we get from food come from vegetables. It may shock you to learn that one serving of arugula, two servings of butter lettuce, and four servings of celery or beets all have more nitrite than 467 hot dogs. (2) And your own saliva has more nitrites than all of them! So before you eliminate cured meats from your diet, you might want to address your celery intake. And try not to swallow so frequently."

I'm not sure how true this is but it's worth looking into. The warnings about nitrates come from the same people who spread the hate about saturated fat. Also, I LOVE snacking on pepperoni slices! They're awesome with a bit of cheese. lol
thanks for the info...I'm just trying to dummy this down for myself. I have so little free time that any corners I can cut is a life saver. Sometime the more I research, the more confused I get. Contradictions everywhere...but since I am stalled I am trying to find out why...
Old 01-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #616
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CK31040
Stats: 142/124/125
WOE: Lower Carb maintenance
Start Date: Dec 27 2013: Restart
Quote:
I've been searching the web trying to make my life easier and make sure I am on track with what to eat and what not to eat. I'll take out the fruit. I found this list. Would you agree with it? Do you agree the cheese should be HIGH FAT?

Shopping list for beginners
Print this list and bring it to the store:

•Butter
•Heavy cream (40% fat)
•Sour cream (34% fat)
•Eggs
•Bacon
•Meat (minced, steaks, stew pieces, fillets, etc.)
•Fish (preferably fatty fish like salmon or mackerel)
•Cheese (preferably high-fat)
•Turkish yoghurt (10% fat)
•Cabbage (cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, etc.)
•Other vegetables that grow above ground
•Frozen vegetables (broccoli, wok vegetables, etc.)
•Avocados
•Olives
•Olive oil
•Nuts
Pretty Godd list. I just want to mention that there are more underground veggies that are ok. Rutabaga and turnips are good in soups to replace potatoes. I had never cooked with them before I went LC. Kohlrabi is also a good snack veggie if you want to try something new.

I agree you are better off with higher fat cheese. Less carbs and you feel more satisfied with it. Similar to the difference between half and half and heavy cream.
CK31040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #617
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amin81
Stats: 182.5/143.1/132
WOE: LowCarbHighFat & 16:8
Start Date: 7 Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayleesa View Post
ugh, I'm spiraling.....feeling out of control and sad...I'm so hungry, I've tried all my tricks and nothing is kicking this hunger....AND I still can't break 196 and get back to the stupid 195.2...for 5 whole days!!! I've been up....eating the same dang things as I'm a creature of habit and having a regimented schedule is comforting to me...I eat sausage and cheese for breakfast, spinach salad for lunch with mayonnaise and either salmon or crab for dinner. morning is coffee with 3 tbsp. of cream. THIS IS IT!?!? my net carbs are rarely above 11 and net is roughly 15-20....I know 5 days isn't so bad and I haven't gained a ton but I hate hate hate being hungry. my hunger was next to gone last week.....just venting sorry for the rant.....hmph
Hey mayleesa, so sorry to hear this and totally understand your frustration. Feeling hungry is so Not the way to go. And it is also rather odd, given that you're doing low carb.
I personally can't see anything in your list that would prompt the hunger but maybe one of the more seasoned ladies on here could? If you're only on 11 NC, there should be lots of potential to get more veggies in there that could fill you up...
We gotta help the woman out! <-- that's me still
Amin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #618
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValR View Post
The leader at my weight watchers will not discuss exercise at all. I struggle with this because of the health benefits of exercise. I've read several posts on this board from people saying the wish they had exercised while losing their weight so they were more toned. It makes me wonder if being fit and toned is better than being at my goal weight.
Val, I'm totally with all the other ladies on this one. Keep exercising! For all the health reasons, there's no way there's a good reason to stop. And if the scales aren't moving, well then you are building muscle which weighs more than fat anyway. Movement always good. I totally admire all the exercise you do, it's totally worth an
Old 01-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #619
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Pretty Godd list. I just want to mention that there are more underground veggies that are ok. Rutabaga and turnips are good in soups to replace potatoes. I had never cooked with them before I went LC. Kohlrabi is also a good snack veggie if you want to try something new.

I agree you are better off with higher fat cheese. Less carbs and you feel more satisfied with it. Similar to the difference between half and half and heavy cream.
I drink half and half in my morning coffee...so I should change to heavy cream I guess?
Old 01-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #620
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amin81 View Post
Val, I'm totally with all the other ladies on this one. Keep exercising! For all the health reasons, there's no way there's a good reason to stop. And if the scales aren't moving, well then you are building muscle which weighs more than fat anyway. Movement always good. I totally admire all the exercise you do, it's totally worth an
I was just discussing this at work. Must be psychological...you're weighing in every week, you are exercising, but the scale isn't dropping or it's staying the same...maybe Weight Watchers is afraid people will throw in the towel if they don't see their weight going down even though what they are gaining is muscle.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #621
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beebug123
Stats: 250.5/205/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 13, 2011
Hello all! Still holding at 205.5. Yesterday I ate bad though...I had the same shake I had the other morning and for some reason I had the most disgusting taste in my mouth all day. It was not the metallic taste you can get in ketosis. It tasted like I had let a medicine tablet dissolve in my mouth! I ended up eating some carbs to help get rid of the taste so today I am not doing any bars, shakes, etc. Just regular foods and my diet soda (yes, I know I need to kick that habit lol). I also finally caught up on my sleep this morning. DH and I have been staying up late to watch that Klondike show and I'm fighting a cold.
Goal #1 225lbs "first 25" *reached 9/21/11*
Goal #2 214lbs "overweight bmi" *reached 11/12/11*
Goal #3 199.5lbs "onderland" *reached 2/1/12*
Goal #4 178lbs "normal bmi"
Beebug123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #622
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayleesa View Post
ugh, I'm spiraling.....feeling out of control and sad...I'm so hungry, I've tried all my tricks and nothing is kicking this hunger....AND I still can't break 196 and get back to the stupid 195.2...for 5 whole days!!! I've been up....eating the same dang things as I'm a creature of habit and having a regimented schedule is comforting to me...I eat sausage and cheese for breakfast, spinach salad for lunch with mayonnaise and either salmon or crab for dinner. morning is coffee with 3 tbsp. of cream. THIS IS IT!?!? my net carbs are rarely above 11 and net is roughly 15-20....I know 5 days isn't so bad and I haven't gained a ton but I hate hate hate being hungry. my hunger was next to gone last week.....just venting sorry for the rant.....hmph
hugs to you!! I will say that how you are eating is way less food than I eat in a day. Do you not eats eggs for breakfast? I eat 2-3 eggs scrambled with sausage and sprinkle cheese over the top. Maybe add some meat to your salad...grilled chicken strips or tuna. Mix up your meats for dinner...steak, pork, grilled chicken and then add in another serving of veggies for dinner. I know you are trying to keep the carbs low but it looks like your overall calories are low as well and if you drop too low you won't loose either.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #623
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CK31040
Stats: 142/124/125
WOE: Lower Carb maintenance
Start Date: Dec 27 2013: Restart
Quote:
I drink half and half in my morning coffee...so I should change to heavy cream I guess?
Its more a personal choice. heavy cream has 1/3 the carbs of half n half.
I feel more satisfied with the HWC and I drink 3-4 cups of coffee per day. Depending on how low in carb/cal you want to stay it may make the difference.
CK31040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #624
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Its more a personal choice. heavy cream has 1/3 the carbs of half n half.
I feel more satisfied with the HWC and I drink 3-4 cups of coffee per day. Depending on how low in carb/cal you want to stay it may make the difference.
Thanks...I will add it to my shopping list!
Old 01-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #625
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cindyashley
Stats: 150/150/110
Start Date: 1/13; Restart 5/8/13; Restart Feb 2014
YES!

I am in! Starting a month late but I guess better late than never. Have grocery shopping trip planned tomorrow to stock up on low carb foods. I have spent the last 2 weeks eating up everything else in the house. Too cheap to just throw it out. Now I am ready! I want to enjoy this summer and not hide!!!!!
cindyashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:34 PM   #626
Senior LCF Member

HWC fan here as well. I add it to my eggs when I scramble them. Sooo fluffy! Plus, it ups the fat a bit and keeps me fuller longer.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #627
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyashley View Post
I am in! Starting a month late but I guess better late than never. Have grocery shopping trip planned tomorrow to stock up on low carb foods. I have spent the last 2 weeks eating up everything else in the house. Too cheap to just throw it out. Now I am ready! I want to enjoy this summer and not hide!!!!!
lol I did the same thing at my house with the junk. Welcome!!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #628
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fran1963
Stats: 179/155/135 5'3"
Start Date: Jan 2009
Hi everyone. Under the weather the last 2 days. Definitely off plan on Sunday, but back on plan since. Still here at 155. Saw some smaller numbers on the scale at the end of last week, so I know eventually they will be here to stay! Patience they say. You all give me much to think on and many new ideas too. Thanks and keep up the losses!!
fran1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #629
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: love2live
Stats: 270.5/245/150
WOE: Atkins - induction **ultimate goal 150**
Start Date: 1/01/2014
Nitrates

I wanted to add my two cents worth since I study this field chemically. Both nitrates and nitrates are injected and sprayed all over our meats as a preserve and a color enhancer. At times Clorox and ammonia may be even usedt I prevent pink slime on our meats. Pink slime, what is that? Eeew!

I can tell you first hand that meat unless it is something like ham that is going to be cured should not contain nitrates. Salt was used in the olden days as a meat preserver because a lot of people did not have refrigeration. I grew up on a cattle/pig ranch and there was no need to ever add nitrates to our meats. Now we use synthetic nitrates.

Now, nitrates and nitrites that are added to our meats are synthetically made. These molecules have different arrangements, same molecular formula then the ones that our own bodies produce. When we eat vegetables our bodies break down the plant material and nitrite is a byproduct. There is one catch, we need something called precursors in order to break down the plants which then releases nitrites in our body. The precursors are found in vitamin C and in E. In other words, to counteract the synthetic nitrites that is injected into bacon, one must drink a glass of orange juice, for example, to counteract the interaction with amines.

This is getting complicated now but you need the combination to prevent the possibility of future cancers. If nitrites are able to bond with amines, nitrosamines are created. These are really bad in your body. And if you like your bacon crispy it will contain more nitrosamines. Nitrosamines are an evil little compounds that are carcinogenic. Now, I'm not saying not to eat bacon or foods injected with sodium nitrate or nitrate because I think that there should be a bacon scented air freshener, but lo carbing and nitrates just don't mix since the precursors are out of the question--like a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.

However, the risk of infected meats such as E. coli, botulism, or salmonella far outweighs nitrosamines developing in your body if one chooses to eat cured meats containing nitrates.

Here's an alarming stastic--The forth leading cause of death in the US is COPD; Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Eating cured meats containing nitrates doubles your risk for lung disease. Eating cured meats containing nitrate more than 14 times a month nearly doubled their risk of COPD.

The more I learn, the less meat I want to eat. Vegetarian is just right Round the corner.
love2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:49 AM   #630
Senior LCF Member

Good morning everyone. I'm in need of a rant, so here goes ...

While taking my morning walk, I was happily looking around, enjoying the fact that while it was quite chilly out, the rain had stopped and I could actually get outside without being drenched. So happy me.
But Then! I kept walking past all these women, skinny women, happily munching on their morning croissants. How not fair is that?! I could Never Ever start eating those for breakfast (mostly because I could likely never stop at just one and would need to eat like three once I got started).
Gah.

Okay Life, bring on back some happy thoughts, I'm done ranting.
all around!