Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fran1963
Stats: 179/155/135 5'3"
Start Date: Jan 2009
I want to join you all! A lot of inspiration and motivation here and I want to grab some of that for myself! Looking forward to reaching our goals together. I am 50 years old and can't wait to get started with 2014! Let's make this our year!!!

fran1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sweetpoison
Stats: 225/224/160
WOE: 80/20 PRIMAL
Start Date: 08/22/2014
to all...... this will be our year. I really cant wait to get the ball rolling.... I am so sick of the way I am living... in more ways than one. 2014 will be my year for change and with the lords help all of it will be in the right direction.
sweetpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley g-ma View Post
I'm thrilled to see so many people posting How many can go the distance until summer? I plan on being one of them
SweetPoison,that is great that you joined a gym I have to get off my butt and do something.I love to walk but have arthritis in an ankle I broke and sometimes it gives me fit if I walk too much.I will get moving somehow I was thinking today that I have really gone downhill in the last 5 years since it started giving me trouble.The Dr said getting some weight off would really help
Oh.... this time out... I have GOT TO STAY THE DISTANCE..... it does not make sense to feel as crappy as I do when I have the ability to change it. Every year I go alittle more downhill.... not in 2014... nope not this year. I look at people that have it so much worse than I do and they can improve their lives...... I have no reason not to... none.
Have you tried a bike... I use to use a recumbent bike. It would be alot easier on your ankle until you drop weight. I have a bone in my foot that needs surgery.... but when I drop weight it hurts ALOT LESS....
Old 12-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CK31040
Stats: 142/124/125
WOE: Lower Carb maintenance
Start Date: Dec 27 2013: Restart
Lets do this! Just joined low carb friends and ready for the challenge.
I am younger than most of you, 25, with 10-15 pounds to lose at least. I don't look very great in a swim suite at this point and would like to not be self conscious at a water park.
Currently most of my exercise is walking and work related (in work boots unfortunately) but planning to ramp it up with some Xbox/Wii Dance games.
Just general low carb diet for me, (30-45 is what I can consistently maintain).
Looking forward to being part of all your weight loss journeys!
CK31040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
46 years old here. I have been doing this soooo many years, sooo many times (SIX to be exact). Yes, I am a yo-yo.

I'm really good at losing weight; I ALWAYS make goal. But then, three years later, the fat is back again ~ and then some. And each time it gets harder than the time before. I am determined to make this time my LAST time. I have figured out what my mistakes were in the past and I am determined not to allow it to happen again.

Mistake #1: Thinking I am "done" when I reach goal. When I reach goal, I have to keep tracking my food and measuring my portions, even as I allow my overall calories/carbs to increase somewhat. The attitude that "I have arrived and my diet is done" is the reason I go back to my old ways. I will be "on a diet" for the rest of my life because it's not a diet, it's a permanent new lifestyle. Period.

Mistake #2: No longer having goals beyond reaching goal weight. When I get to my goal - this time - I need to replace diet/weight loss challenges and goals with fitness challenges and goals, track them with a cute little tracker I can add to my siggy, and find some fitness software which has functions specific to muscle gain and fitness activity. My current software is fabulous but it won't allow me to have a goal to GAIN weight, for example, or enter specific weight training data.

Mistake #3: Leaving my accountability group. -- I have to keep posting my ongoing progress with an accountability group. I am never leaving my two favorite diet boards, LCF and 3FC, ever again. I will probably switch my focus to fitness and maintenance threads, but I am not going away again.

Hoping the LCF's in this thread will ALL succeed and then join me in the maintenance/fitness boards after this challenge is over...

Last edited by nikki; 12-30-2013 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: added some stuff
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cfurini
Stats: 191.6/188.4/135ish
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2014
I'm in....I need to lose 50 lbs and would like it gone by July!!!
cfurini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mandys mom
Stats: 215/200/140
WOE: Low-carb
Start Date: restart Dec. 26/2013
Hello all. This sounds like a fun and motivating group to be a part of. I am 50 years old. I started back on plan December 26 and had a headache for 4 days while I detoxed off sugar. I am doing the LowCarb, 20g or less per day. 8+ cups of water per day. You can join a gym for $99 per year?? We don't have Planet Fitness here (British Columbia, Canada) but I did join a ladies only gym for $15 per month which is really cheap. I look forward to reaching my goal with y'all.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimberlylhn
Stats: 196/184/146
Start Date: 12/29/13
I would like to join! I do not want to go through another fat summer. I am so tired of spending most of the summer indoors because I am too embarrassed to go out. Think this is the perfect challenge to help keep me going! Thank You!
Kimberlylhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:26 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning and again..... to everyone.... Nice to see so many ready to kick it in to gear. This time tomorrow morning I will be starting my new way of life...... I am sure it won't always be easy...nothing worth having ever is... but... we are strong and can do this.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phase
Stats: 191/80s/30s - 5'3"
WOE: Low Carb/Keto
Start Date: January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfurini View Post
I'm in....I need to lose 50 lbs and would like it gone by July!!!
Hi cfurini! Looks like our stats and goals are pretty close.

Ladies, my mom turned 50 this year and this December marked her One year low carb anniversary. Low carb has done wonders for her! She's seen the 120s when she never thought her older body would budge lower than the upper 40s and her tummy, which she had given up all hope for, looks better than mine at 27 years of age. Not to mention how much it has helped her joint pain. She said she feels better than she did in her thirties! She had been on medication for high blood pressure since she was in her twenties, she was thin then, it's not weight related. That she has been able to drop both medications for that and now keep a normal blood pressure is amazing. Just by changing her diet! This way of life doesn't just rock for those of us in our twenties! But you ladies all know that! I just wanted to share her experience with you guys because it's such an inspiration for me and I hope it will inspire others too.
Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mcchimento
Stats: 261.8/232.0/150.0
WOE: Atkins with a Mediterranean/Paleo flair
Start Date: Everyday is a new day!
Feeling good that I took that step to start right away and not wait until January 2. I am in the mindset to be successful so it was important to start when I did. I can't wait for the new month to begin and continue this journey.

Stayed on plan yesterday. I actually ate a little low. I need to make sure that I eat at least 1300 calories so that my weight loss will not slow down. If I eat too little my body will not let me lose weight.

Successful days: 1
mcchimento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
Hi cfurini! Looks like our stats and goals are pretty close.

Ladies, my mom turned 50 this year and this December marked her One year low carb anniversary. Low carb has done wonders for her! She's seen the 120s when she never thought her older body would budge lower than the upper 40s and her tummy, which she had given up all hope for, looks better than mine at 27 years of age. Not to mention how much it has helped her joint pain. She said she feels better than she did in her thirties! She had been on medication for high blood pressure since she was in her twenties, she was thin then, it's not weight related. That she has been able to drop both medications for that and now keep a normal blood pressure is amazing. Just by changing her diet! This way of life doesn't just rock for those of us in our twenties! But you ladies all know that! I just wanted to share her experience with you guys because it's such an inspiration for me and I hope it will inspire others too.

Wow... Great news for your mom and all of us. I have never had kids... this belly of mine is all from fat.... so praying that it will deflat and not look to awful bad when I drop this weight this year and I so want off the BP meds... which alot is due to weight on my part.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phase
Stats: 191/80s/30s - 5'3"
WOE: Low Carb/Keto
Start Date: January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpoison View Post
Wow... Great news for your mom and all of us. I have never had kids... this belly of mine is all from fat.... so praying that it will deflat and not look to awful bad when I drop this weight this year and I so want off the BP meds... which alot is due to weight on my part.
It took quite a few months after my mom got to goal for her to notice any really big improvements in the shape of her stomach. She was so excited that it kept improving even without losing anymore weight. I hope I'm as lucky. lol My belly is all from fat too! My sister in law is 5 months pregnant and my belly matches hers. I wish you much luck with your BP meds! Everyone on my moms side has either really high blood pressure or heart problems so I'm hoping to avoid some of those issues.
Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyathome
I am in. My goal is to reach 130 by summer. Right now am knocking on 150's door so that should be about a 20 lb loss. My official start date might be the 2nd since I need to do some food shopping.
ladyathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mandys mom
Stats: 215/200/140
WOE: Low-carb
Start Date: restart Dec. 26/2013
Cathy, I did the same thing. Christmas day was my last day of "the old way of eating". Today is day 6 of no carbs, lots of water. The first 4 days I had a headache which must have been the sugar detox but I have more energy now and feel great.
Mandys mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shantony
Stats: 243/226/150 (5' 2")
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: Jan 1, 2014
WTG Anita! I hope I'm over the 'carb flu' hump. I am at day 6 of Atkins induction. I havent had much of an appetite today. I gotta push the water though but it been so cold here in Ontario that I havent wanted water. Crazy I know. I'm gonna try drinking some lemon water just to 'jazz it up'. lol
Shantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: harley g-ma
Stats: 195.5/183./140
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Jan.1 2014
Great job,Anita and Shay on starting early and sticking with it so far! alot of us will start tomorrow and you are already an inspiration I can't wait to start feeling better about myself and to start wearing some of my clothes that have gotten to small!
harley g-ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Phase,I LOVE your avatar of Ryan. Ever since the "Notebook" he has been one of my favorites
Old 12-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 148.4/144.4/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Quote:
Tell me about it.... so tired of feeling like warmed over crap. Joints hurting.... kinda foggy..... swelling.... face looking like I am recovering from a week long drunk...... it is so way passed time to stop the stupid.
Wow you're singing my song Poison! Just how I feel. I'm ready to start waking up and feeling good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
46 years old here. I have been doing this soooo many years, sooo many times (SIX to be exact). Yes, I am a yo-yo.

I'm really good at losing weight; I ALWAYS make goal. But then, three years later, the fat is back again ~ and then some. And each time it gets harder than the time before. I am determined to make this time my LAST time. I have figured out what my mistakes were in the past and I am determined not to allow it to happen again.

Mistake #1: Thinking I am "done" when I reach goal. When I reach goal, I have to keep tracking my food and measuring my portions, even as I allow my overall calories/carbs to increase somewhat. The attitude that "I have arrived and my diet is done" is the reason I go back to my old ways. I will be "on a diet" for the rest of my life because it's not a diet, it's a permanent new lifestyle. Period.

Mistake #2: No longer having goals beyond reaching goal weight. When I get to my goal - this time - I need to replace diet/weight loss challenges and goals with fitness challenges and goals, track them with a cute little tracker I can add to my siggy, and find some fitness software which has functions specific to muscle gain and fitness activity. My current software is fabulous but it won't allow me to have a goal to GAIN weight, for example, or enter specific weight training data.

Mistake #3: Leaving my accountability group. -- I have to keep posting my ongoing progress with an accountability group. I am never leaving my two favorite diet boards, LCF and 3FC, ever again. I will probably switch my focus to fitness and maintenance threads, but I am not going away again.

Hoping the LCF's in this thread will ALL succeed and then join me in the maintenance/fitness boards after this challenge is over...
Those are great insights Nikki and ones that I can totally identify with. Thanks for posting them, hope you don't mind if I borrow.

Quote:
Good Morning and again..... to everyone.... Nice to see so many ready to kick it in to gear. This time tomorrow morning I will be starting my new way of life...... I am sure it won't always be easy...nothing worth having ever is... but... we are strong and can do this.
Thanks for keeping me on track Poison! I was starting to backslide to thinking Monday. TOMORROW I start my new life. It may not be perfect, but I've moving forward tomorrow!!!!

I'm 55, I had to recount. Honestly I feel more 45. My biggest goal this year is to fit back into my 128# Avatar

What a great group we have!! We can totally do this
Old 01-01-2014, 03:49 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gina1
Stats: 193/current 180/goal weight 140
Start Date: starting right now
I'm in too! this is my first challenge
gina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:50 AM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MaryThompson
Stats: 286/275/195 @ 5'8"
Start Date: Dec 26, 2013
Happy New Year!

I've never done a challenge before, so I don't know what's required.

I stayed up late last night to welcome in the new year. Everything I ate was on plan, but I had some Bailey's on ice early in the evening. Being a bit tired this morning, I spaced off weighing myself, but I was 281 on the 30th.

I got my gym workout in on Monday, and went for a long walk yesterday. My gym is open from 8am-6pm today, so there will be no problem with me getting my exercise in.
MaryThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:01 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mary,nothing is required Just come here often and let us know how you are doing,and offer support to the other members.We are all in the same boat or we wouldn't be here
I changed my stats to the current figures and it was funny (or maybe not) that my last challenge was in Sept 2012 and the start weight was only about 1 lb different! I have got to get serious this time! I have NEVER been this big,even 9 months pregnant!
Good Luck everyone!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Well... here we are... it is off and running. Feeling alittle crappy this A.M. but will get over it. Changed my stats.... SCARE ME! 233 lb.

I will measure later or tomorrow morning... I have to find my measure tape. I must have been having a real good time since I weigh alittle more than I expected. Will I meet my 160 goal by summer...... well.... that would be a real tough job.... but.... I can knock a heck of a hole in it by then. Its all about getting healhier for me.

Hope all have a great day and stay strong... do not put it off another day.... when you do that it is summer... and your misserable... AGAIN!!!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:40 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
I am in for this challenge. I am a 41yo mom of two - a 20yo ds and a 8yo dd. I started at 207 at the beginning of October and today I am at 167.4. I would like to be down to 140 by summer, so that is a little over a pound a week. My ultimate goal is 130. Although I have been losing pretty well, I feel I need to slow it down to make it more long-term manageable and not lose any muscle a long the way. It will also help me figure out how to go into a sustainable maintenance plan.

I use a combo of 72' Atkins and Juddd programs. I am currently working on modifying it all again to achieve my new loss rate. So I am sure my weight is going to be all over the place until I get it figured out. Hopefully with the additional support here, I won't get frustrated and just stop it all together. I am one of those who does one of two things when I get frustrated or depressed with results - I go on a BIG binge; or I just stop eating all together.

So here's to all in this challenge! Wishing you much success and encouragement throughout this journey.

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently."Henry Ford

My Weight Journal ~MissyDee~

mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
I am in for this challenge. I am a 41yo mom of two - a 20yo ds and a 8yo dd. I started at 207 at the beginning of October and today I am at 167.4. I would like to be down to 140 by summer, so that is a little over a pound a week. My ultimate goal is 130. Although I have been losing pretty well, I feel I need to slow it down to make it more long-term manageable and not lose any muscle a long the way. It will also help me figure out how to go into a sustainable maintenance plan.

I use a combo of 72' Atkins and Juddd programs. I am currently working on modifying it all again to achieve my new loss rate. So I am sure my weight is going to be all over the place until I get it figured out. Hopefully with the additional support here, I won't get frustrated and just stop it all together. I am one of those who does one of two things when I get frustrated or depressed with results - I go on a BIG binge; or I just stop eating all together.

So here's to all in this challenge! Wishing you much success and encouragement throughout this journey.
WOW... 40 lb. in approx. 3 months is a GREAT JOB.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shantony
Stats: 243/226/150 (5' 2")
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: Jan 1, 2014
Starting Day 1 at 233lbs. Had BPC this morning. Feeling a little queasy. Felt like I drank an oil slick. I am in moderate ketosis. I am doing Low Carb High Fat. I just cant feel hungry or its all down hill for me.

I gave up Artificial Sweetner today as my new years resolution. So far its fine as I am not hungry or craving. Besides the queasiness I am doing fine. I'm just taking it one meal at a time. Eating when I feel hungry, which isnt much.
Shantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindysandia
Stats: 237 goal 125...size 16
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 09/18/2014
Starting weight challenge at work

We are w starting a weight challenge at work so Im in.... I have 75 pounds to lose... we have 3 months and this will be great motivation... I know that I won't lose it all in 3 months but this will be the jump start I need
cindysandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Day 1

Started at 166.4 yesterday (I don't weigh in on most DownDays)

Today is a DownDay so I will be eating very simply/minimally today.

Breakfast:
Coffee with soy milk
Supplements
Psyllium husks drink

Lunch:
Hard boiled egg
Vegetable broth

Supper:
Egg beaters omelette 1/3 cup
Vegetable broth

I know it seems like too little but the point of JUDDD/IF is to alternate days of near-fasting with high calorie days. It's a kind of calorie cycling. I can look forward to a higher calorie day tomorrow!

Exercise:
Bosu balance squats
Weights - arms/shoulders
10 minute abs video
Walking the dog tonight, 2 miles ~ with weights
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 148.4/144.4/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Well I weighed in today 148.4. That gives me exactly 20# to lose, which I think is doable. My problem is I still don't have my plan down 100%. I'm leaning towards Atkins because of no better reason then it's easy for me doing low carb for so long and the sacrifices are not a big deal to me. But I could use something to sink my teeth into. Would love to hear what everyone else is doing.
TerriMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mcchimento
Stats: 261.8/232.0/150.0
WOE: Atkins with a Mediterranean/Paleo flair
Start Date: Everyday is a new day!
Day 3

This is day three today.

I think that I ate too much yesterday. We went to eat at Golden Corral. I thought that I made good choices but the volume of food may have been too much. I stayed away from the dessert aisle with no trouble. Maybe too much sodium as well.

Another thing I did was eat my eggs in the morning with a tablespoon of heavy cream. That always seems to make me hungry all day. I wont be doing that anymore. It seems to trigger hunger all day.
mcchimento is offline   Reply With Quote