Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 06:00 AM   #511
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fran1963
Stats: 179/155/135 5'3"
Start Date: Jan 2009
Good morning all, and welcome to all our new friends! Have done well so far this weekend, but today is the hard one. Family get together T noon and then football party later! Planning to eat before I go to minimize any urges. Big batch of bacon cooking now. Hope everyone has a successful Sunday.
fran1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2014, 06:43 AM   #512
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheWindCriesMary
Stats: 230/218/160
WOE: Low carb vegetarian
Start Date: January 1, 2014
Up two pounds today... yuck! I did cheat quite a bit in the last few days. Thursday night I ate some veggie tempura (but at a Chinese place I thought that was a reasonable selection!), then yesterday I ate 2 Atkins bars and drank 2 glasses of wine. Out of ketosis and very sad. Determined today to do better!
TheWindCriesMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:47 AM   #513
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Yes, I have been a vegetarian for about 3 1/2 years now. I eat veggies, eggs, cheeses, seeds and nuts, and a (very) small quantity of legumes. I sometimes use soy-based products such as mock-chicken or soy-burgers as meat substitutes because soy doesn't have any adverse effects on me as it does for some. I also bake low-carb breads and treats using Jennifer Eloff's recipes and others I get from low-carb web sites all over the net.

The two best ones are:

SPLENDID LOW-CARBING BY JENNIFER ELOFF: Chunky Chocolate Chip Cookies (GF)

SPLENDID LOW-CARBING BY JENNIFER ELOFF: Sandwich Bread (2.2 g carbs) (GF) - The recipe you've been waiting for!

Seriously. To die for!
Good to see some other vegetarians around!
Old 01-19-2014, 06:53 AM   #514
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: love2live
Stats: 270.5/245/150
WOE: Atkins - induction **ultimate goal 150**
Start Date: 1/01/2014
It sounds like you need a huge hug and some support. Sometimes people do things and don't think about how they make others feel. My DH Appears to be so insensitive at times, but he's really innocent of what comes out of his mouth.
We all have people like that in our lives and I say put the cookie theory into place. The cookie theory and my mind is you don't leave cookies out on the counter and expect children not to eat them. Adults act like children too. Take away the cookies.

This may help you in the future:

To prevent posts by other people from appearing on your Page's Timeline until you approve them:

From the top of your Page, click Edit Page and select Edit Settings
Click Post Visibility
Select Hide posts by others on my Page Timeline from the dropdown menu
Click Save Changes
Visit your Page's activity log to choose which posts to allow on your Page's Timeline for everyone to see
To turn off the ability for other people to post on your Page's Timeline:
Click Posting Ability
Uncheck the boxes next to Everyone can post to [your Page's name]'s Timeline and Everyone can add photos and videos to [your Page's name]'s Timeline
Click Save Changes
To remove the Recent Posts by Others box from your Page's Timeline:
Click Post Visibility
Uncheck the box next to Highlight recent posts by others in a box at the top of my Page Timeline
Click Save Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
My SIL posted a picture on my facebook wall that lists all the dire side effects of aspartame. I don't even drink soda very often but when I do she's sure to see it, and disapprove of it. The post warns people to NOT let any products containing those wicked fake sweeteners into your home... because "inflammation, epileptic seizures, phobias, fibromyalgia and mental retardation.." Do they really think drinking tons of high fructose corn syrup is better than the occasional diet soda? What is it about cutting carbs that makes some people act so crazy? I never read off the ingredients on her box of little debbie cakes or comment on her many other "food" choices. She's always trying to find a fault with my diet and it's getting to be annoying.
love2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:59 AM   #515
Major LCF Poster!

Hello Amin81!

It's never too late, welcome to this group.

Many of us have a massive weight loss during the first week. And many say that it is water weight. I like to think that it's really fat.

You say you were based in Europe, are you in the military?

13000 Steps is awesome! Weighted go, keep up the good work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amin81 View Post
Hi ladies! I hope it's okay that I join in a little late. I actually started my new lifestyle on January 7th and realized after a week or so that I totally need some online support. So did some browsing and this thread immediately caught my attention with all the warm support.

Tuesdays are my weigh-in day (I tend to stay away from the scales on a daily basis or I would live on that thing).

start weight: 82.8 kg (182.5)
goal weight: 68 kg (150)
weigh-in after one week: 79.4 kg (175)

Next weigh-in will be this coming Tuesday.
I hope to hit the goal weight on June 10th (so 20 weeks if my calcs are correct).
But I also have a part-way-there goal as my friend is getting married on April 19th: by then I'd like to be 73 kg (161).

As I'm based in Europe, my scale is in kg's but I'll make sure to include pounds in () too.
I'm doing Low Carb High Fat as it's the easiest one to get away with when also cooking dinner for the hubby. And I've got a step counter, which is set to aim for 10,000 steps a day but secretly I hope to get 13,000 steps in per day but shhh don't tell my band that!

I realize my first week loss was rather massive which makes me worry that the scales I have are actually not all that accurate (even with cutting out gluten which I had gorged on over Christmas even though I'm really not supposed to). So be ready for some ranting about that in weeks to come. I figured I'd give it another week or two to see how it behaves and if it is wonky, then invest in a new one.

Right, that's the initial monster post. Keep up the good work, everyone! We can do this!
Old 01-19-2014, 07:01 AM   #516
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
ooooh that trixster got me too!!! up 1.2 this morning 196.4....ARGH....stupid little minx....hopefully his roommate whoosh will help us out soon
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #517
Major LCF Poster!

Good Sunday Morning,

I weighed myself and am down 2 pounds after the big CC. I just hope and pray the scales don't go back up. I don't think I am drinking enough water and am gonna have to find a way to drink more.

Today will be spent cleaning out the rest of my room. I've been going through everything between semesters, selling what I can and giving to the thrift stores all other items. I look at all of my size 22 pants and can't wait for the day to give them all away. Oh, how I can't wait to fit into size 12 or 14 size clothing.

I'm starting up a new hobby; earring making. This sounds crazy with all I have to do, but I think I need to find something other than studying all waking hours. We will just see how that goes. While DH is watching football this afternoon, I may take a run to the bead store.

It's week's goals are:
No butter
No mayonaise, unless home made
More water per day -2L
No red meatcows
10,000 steps per day
Find out more about tofu
Study 6 hours per day
Stay off FB - LOL
Old 01-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #518
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amin81
Stats: 182.5/143.1/132
WOE: LowCarbHighFat & 16:8
Start Date: 7 Jan 2014
Thanks for the warm welcome! So right about the water weight but it still seemed like a lot. Guess I'm mostly afraid to get my hopes up too high. Been on this ride before but really Really want to succeed now. Tuesday will be telling!

love2live - no I'm not in the military. I'm just a trailing expat wife, currently living in Paris, France and not working. So I have a lot of time on my hands in between doing online courses and getting my steps.
And you go girl with your goals. Just don't give up fat altogether as this will get very boring very quickly and in fact, I don't think your body will like it.
I personally track my water consumption by filling and drinking out of a smaller bottle, easier to tell where I'm at than with glasses. Could maybe help?
Amin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #519
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phase
Stats: 191/80s/30s - 5'3"
WOE: Low Carb/Keto
Start Date: January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
Phase, I would be so mad if anyone posted that on my wall intentionally. I think I would start a post war and post lots of info about how bad things they eat are. I know that doesn't solve anything, but it would make me feel better thinking about doing it.
Hah! It would be very entertaining to do that but I agree, not very helpful. lol Ranting here really helped drain away some of the frustration I was feeling.

love2live lol I do have my page set so I have to approve posts, I saw it when I checked the notification asking me to approve it. lol She's very sweet in every other aspect so I'm not going to let it bother me too much or cause any real issues with us. I think she may want to find a fault in the way I eat because my brother has been saying lately how much he wants to try it. I don't think she wants the hassle of him doing it. She loves fast food and packaged "foods" and she may fear him changing would mean her losing some of her stuff? Or she may really want to be helpful. She's a mental health professional and as such she feels she has a leg up on nutrition.
Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #520
Senior LCF Member

I'm still up a few lbs at 183.0 this morning. The wraps and other stuff I over did it on knocked me out of ketosis. I'm hopeful that I'll get a whoosh soon like I usually do after getting back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWindCriesMary View Post
Up two pounds today... yuck! I did cheat quite a bit in the last few days. Thursday night I ate some veggie tempura (but at a Chinese place I thought that was a reasonable selection!), then yesterday I ate 2 Atkins bars and drank 2 glasses of wine. Out of ketosis and very sad. Determined today to do better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayleesa View Post
ooooh that trixster got me too!!! up 1.2 this morning 196.4....ARGH....stupid little minx....hopefully his roommate whoosh will help us out soon
Maybe there's something the air.. lol Is there a dance we could do to summon the Whoosh Fairy? Like a Rain Dance but with more glitter?
Old 01-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #521
Major LCF Poster!

hahah I wish there was a dance, unfortunately she is a fickle little fairy...she comes when you least expect, sometimes right after you almost give up, even after you think you've lost all you can that week.....that's alllll part of her charm!!!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #522
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
currently living in Paris, France and not working. So I have a lot of time on my hands in between doing online courses and getting my steps.
And you go girl with your goals. Just don't give up fat altogether as this will get very boring very quickly and in fact, I don't think your body will like it.
I personally track my water consumption by filling and drinking out of a smaller bottle, easier to tell where I'm at than with glasses. Could maybe help?
Aw, Pareese! <-My version of a French accent. I that city!

Thanks for the recommendation about drinking water. I'm going to try to measure my water consumption by number of bottles I drink.

I finished up making two batches of oopsies. The one batch I put lemon pepper and any other teaspoon of cinnamon. I think six eggs and each batch and they made 24 oopsies each. I needed something fast when I get the munchies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 01-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #523
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stacy O
Stats: 212/206/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 30 2013
Progress update:

Not Another Fat Summer Challenge progress:
1/2/14: 213 lbs.
1/11/14: 212 lbs.
1/18/14: 209 lbs. (also lost 1 inch each in bust/hip/waist/calf/arm since 1/2/14)
Stacy O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #524
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy O View Post
Progress update:

Not Another Fat Summer Challenge progress:
1/2/14: 213 lbs.
1/11/14: 212 lbs.
1/18/14: 209 lbs. (also lost 1 inch each in bust/hip/waist/calf/arm since 1/2/14)
Way to go Stacy O!
Looks like you are on the right track, 3 pounds lost just last week. Impressive!
You are so close to onederland!
Old 01-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #525
Major LCF Poster!

just checkin to see....sweetpoison hasn't posted since 01/06/14...hmmmmm has any one heard from her, the builder of this thread
Old 01-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #526
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vella_marie
Stats: 334.4/315/140
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 1/3/2014
Hey everyone. Sorry for being absent for a week. I started our 6 week winter session at school, so all the courses are accelerated. I have only been sleeping 2-4 hours a night, so I have been either too tired or lazy to get online. I only lost 1.2 pounds this week, then the very next day it said I gained a pound. I haven't eaten off plan at all! So I am hoping its just my body adjusting.

I do need to exercise more and drink more water. I really want to get into the 320s this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myfuture View Post
Funny thing-----MY CATS-----they get in my way all the time when working out! I think they think I'm playing with them. I have three and they start walking all around me and watching me!!
I have 3 cats as well and just love to "help" mom work out. Normally Jazz and Jigs are going inbetween my legs and get in the way, and Furby likes to come out and sit on the couch just to start at me the whole time. haha

Quote:
Hi ladies! I hope it's okay that I join in a little late. I actually started my new lifestyle on January 7th and realized after a week or so that I totally need some online support. So did some browsing and this thread immediately caught my attention with all the warm support.
Welcome!

Quote:
I stay away from Chinese food since most of is full of carbs. Steamed veggie are the only thing I can trust. Most times the meats are marinated and since I do not know what they use, I can't trust it. Plus they add at lost of starch to foods to thicken juices, and sauces. For the atkins bars, I personally can't eat them as they stall me.

Quote:
Good to see some other vegetarians around!
I was a vegetarian and vegan for years, even low carbing but I lose weight easier when I add meat. I have no clue why So I have been adding meat into my diet again, until I am closer to my goal weight.
vella_marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #527
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayleesa View Post
just checkin to see....sweetpoison hasn't posted since 01/06/14...hmmmmm has any one heard from her, the builder of this thread
She posted on a different thread yesterday I think.. maybe she forgot about us or isn't getting the notifications for this thread?
Old 01-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #528
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthy for life
Stats: 165/156/130 height 5'5"
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: January 3, 2014
154 this morning!! woot woot! happy dance today I have made it through another weekend of no wine, so proud of myself...it hasn't been easy!
healthy for life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #529
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy for life View Post
154 this morning!! woot woot! happy dance today I have made it through another weekend of no wine, so proud of myself...it hasn't been easy!
Congrats healthy for life!! It may not have been easy but it seems to be paying off for you!
Old 01-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #530
Senior LCF Member

Maybe there's something the air.. lol Is there a dance we could do to summon the Whoosh Fairy? Like a Rain Dance but with more glitter?[/QUOTE]

I really want to see the Woosh Fairy soon!!
Old 01-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #531
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beebug123
Stats: 250.5/205/175
Start Date: July 13, 2011
lol I was up today too! I vote whoosh fairy!! I know it wasn't my eating.
Beebug123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:53 AM   #532
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MaryThompson
Stats: 286/275/195 @ 5'8"
Start Date: Dec 26, 2013
Sudden Welcome Drop

Last time I posted, I think I was had just touched 279 again. Yesterday, I was 280 again. But this morning, 277! A Happy Surprise!

What did someone here call it? The Whoosh Fairy?

I was beginning to think I would need to adjust my end-of-month goal of 275 to accommodate this stall, but I might make it there in 11 days now.

So I stay on the trail and add exercise back in and watch the numbers continue to go down.
MaryThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:42 AM   #533
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CK31040
Stats: 142/124/125
WOE: Lower Carb maintenance
Start Date: Dec 27 2013: Restart
Well I made it through the weekend maintaining weight. Did not do too bad other than the chinese buffet we went to Saturday. Went into town for a few things with the BF and his parents (who also do low carb) and I couldn't convince them of the olive garden choice so chinese it was.

Luckily I have the day off today (MLK day) and can do some catch up cooking and workout. A few DVDs came in the mail yesterday so it'll be something new and exciting.

Keep up the good work everyone. Hard to believe we are approaching the 1 month mark soon.
CK31040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:36 AM   #534
Senior LCF Member

G'Morning!

I'm down .6 of the 1.8lbs that I was up. lol I may not have used enough glitter for my Fairy Dance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryThompson View Post
Last time I posted, I think I was had just touched 279 again. Yesterday, I was 280 again. But this morning, 277! A Happy Surprise!

What did someone here call it? The Whoosh Fairy?

I was beginning to think I would need to adjust my end-of-month goal of 275 to accommodate this stall, but I might make it there in 11 days now.

So I stay on the trail and add exercise back in and watch the numbers continue to go down.
Sweet! That's an impressive whoosh you got there! Congrats!
Old 01-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #535
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyathome
Good morning all. Happy Monday and MLK day.

I am in rough spot here. My body seems to get down to 142 and does not want to budge lower. This is the point where I have quit the last couple of times I tried to get back low carb.

This time I will not quit! I freely admit I did not do as well as I should have over the weekend and I am up to 143. So I am going to encourage myself and maybe some of you will be encouraged too.

It can be common to stall after two weeks or so.
Our bodies sometimes hold onto water before a fat loss.
I am looking to lose a smaller amount so it will be slower.
It is a marathon , not a sprint.
If it is to be a lifestyle, weight fluctuations are part of life.
I am getting close to the point in the month where I get bloated from water retention.

The scale does not determine my worth.

Okay so here is my plan. Today I will concentrate on being lc with plenty of fat. The rest of the week I will try to do the same.

Have a great week everyone.
ladyathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #536
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Well, whoosh fairy did not come by last night, bt neither did that awful trixster! I stayed the same 163.4. Here's to hoping I will get the 3.4 off by end of month.

Congrats to all those losing, and to all those who are not giving up!
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #537
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyathome View Post
Good morning all. Happy Monday and MLK day.

I am in rough spot here. My body seems to get down to 142 and does not want to budge lower. This is the point where I have quit the last couple of times I tried to get back low carb.

This time I will not quit! I freely admit I did not do as well as I should have over the weekend and I am up to 143. So I am going to encourage myself and maybe some of you will be encouraged too.

It can be common to stall after two weeks or so.
Our bodies sometimes hold onto water before a fat loss.
I am looking to lose a smaller amount so it will be slower.
It is a marathon , not a sprint.
If it is to be a lifestyle, weight fluctuations are part of life.
I am getting close to the point in the month where I get bloated from water retention.

The scale does not determine my worth.

Okay so here is my plan. Today I will concentrate on being lc with plenty of fat. The rest of the week I will try to do the same.

Have a great week everyone.
A lot of people have a set-point that they get stuck at, mine is 188. I feel for you ladies that still have to deal TOM with all the bloating, water retention, etc.
So, I totally fell off the wagon this weekend-Mojitos, chips and salsa, and chocolate chip cookies! Up a pound and it's so my fault. I just invited Trixster right in!
Crazy Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #538
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amin81
Stats: 182.5/143.1/132
WOE: LowCarbHighFat & 16:8
Start Date: 7 Jan 2014
Grats to those who are losing and a big Hang in There-woosh to the uppers, it'll turn down again soon!

A couple of things on my mind today.

First off, I notice that I am having a tougher time eating breakfast. Even just a little yoghurt feels like it just grows in my mouth and I have to force it down.
Due to this, I've been thinking about adding some 16:8 fasting to my LCHF plan, i.e., where you only eat in an 8-hour interval and fast for 16 hours, most of that time when you sleep.
So my eating time would be 12noon - 8pm, effectively cutting out breakfast. Supposedly this is good for your body because it allows it more time to recuperate and regrow cells and clear toxins and such from what I've read.
Anyone tried anything similar and have any insights?

Next, this is a tricky week for me as I'm all alone while the hubby is travelling. Usually when he's gone, I would comfort eat. Determined to not let that happen. So I'll likely be on here a Lot!
The fun thing is that he's actually in the States for the week. Normally, I'd have him bring back all sorts of not-low carb treats. That's obviously out of the question.
But would you all have any great suggestions on what he could bring back that would make this low carbing all the more awesome? France has a Very limited supply of fun stuff for low carb (the stereotype of them carrying baguette under their arms is totally true!). I've already asked him to look into finding DaVinci sugarfree coffee syrup.
Anything else??

Finally, you're going to think I'm crazy but this morning, I looked through my closet and mentally picked out all the clothes that I will want to throw away when they are too big. Totally odd but motivating for me. =)

Stay awesome ladies!
Amin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #539
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Amin, I do IF, water fasting, fat fasting, and complete fasting days, not all in the same week. I started it mainly because I had no appetite and continue to do so partly because of that and also when I stall for more than two days. I think it helps out a lot.

Low carb stuff maybe to get - if you don't have flax seed meal there that would be good so you can make low carb breads. Low carb or all natural peanut butter and low carb chocolate cacao powder, both to make low carb desserts.

Good idea on picking out the clothes to get rid of. That is a great motivator. Also maybe have or buy something in the next size down to keep out to view of where your next goal will be.

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently."Henry Ford

My Weight Journal ~MissyDee~

mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #540
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beebug123
Stats: 250.5/205/175
Start Date: July 13, 2011
205.5 today...no whoosh fairy for me but I am eating on plan I forgot today was a school holiday but it seems like none of our friends in traditional school want to play so I think we may just go ahead and do school anyways. My girls put batteries in the Furbys they got for xmas last night. One of them is loud and hyper. I'm not sure I can handle listening to the Furbys all day lol
Beebug123 is offline   Reply With Quote