Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 05:32 AM   #391
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: onceNforall
Stats: 307.5/297.5/225 (so I can have knee surgery)
WOE: Healthy Choices/Positive Attitude
Start Date: 1/1/14
Made it through the weekend!

Not only managed to make it through the weekend without a gain...but actually lost another 1.5! This is such a big deal for me. Every little success is making me feel a little stronger and that I can do it this time.

On the calorie issue....I have always found that I lose better on more calories...actually carb cycling seems to work (although I don't count carbs)....I seem to gravitate to one day higher calories/carbs and the next lower. When I used to do JUDD, I always lost after the UD, not the DD. I think our bodies are all different and you have to find what suits you best. After all these years of yo-yo dieting, I know my metabolism is so screwed up that if I cut calories way down my body holds onto every ounce!!

67 years young

My Journal:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...cenforall.html
onceNforall is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2014, 07:09 AM   #392
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/130/120
WOE: Low-carb IF/JUDDD Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceNforall View Post
Not only managed to make it through the weekend without a gain...but actually lost another 1.5! This is such a big deal for me. Every little success is making me feel a little stronger and that I can do it this time.
Way to go onceNforall!!!

Weighed in this morning after an UpDay and it was so disappointing! I am not even going to record it. I usually only weigh in after DownDays for this very reason. Ugh! Why did I do it? Especially aggravating as I exercised so hard yesterday. I simply must remember that sometimes exercise is the exact reason for the higher weight, as my body's rebuilding of muscle tissue also causes water retention.

Anyway, today is a DownDay so I am sure I will have a much better scale result tomorrow morning.

Got to my 10000 steps yesterday, plus my fitbit logged 66 "very active minutes" and an elevation equivalent of 19 floors, which sounds about right as I walked some hills yesterday ~ with ankle weights, wrist weights, and my weighted vest. It is getting easier! I am starting to enjoy walking again rather than dreading it.

NSV: exercise is finally starting to feel good again, instead of feeling like torture.

Last edited by nikki; 01-13-2014 at 07:11 AM..
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #393
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyathome
Those soup recipes look great. I am thinking of cooking some of those to have on hand for lunch.

143.2 today.

Keep up the good work everyone!
ladyathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #394
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 144/142.7/130
WOE: IE/M&E
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
Niki - I have a similar recipe for the clam chowder but using 1c hwc instead of half and half and it comes to only .68 net carbs per serving for 6 serving. I don't know how you got 50 total carbs - half and half shouldn't have that much.

• 6 slices bacon (0 carb)
  • 1/2 med onion (.5 carb from Publix)
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream (0 carb)
  • 10 oz baby clams (0 carb from Bumble Bee)
  • 1/4 head medium cauliflower (1.9 per 1/4 head)
Directions

1. Grate the cauliflower into crumbles and place into a soup pot. Cover with water and cook until tender.
  2. Dice the onion and add to pot.
  3. Fry bacon crisp and break into small pieces. Add to soup pot. Add enough water to cover and simmer for ten minutes.
  4. Add in cream and clams. Cook for another ten minutes. Serve hot or with shredded cheese as a topper.
I did the clam chowder yesterday and it was terrific! I was thinking of HWC too to 1. Make it a little creamier and 2. To lower the carb count. I also thought some finely diced celery might be a good addition. I agree about the carb count. I checked my 1/2 & 1/2 (the main culprit) and it was only 16, add 2.5 for the clams I used and that leaves 1.5 for onions and what not to make 20 carbs for the whole batch or 5 per serving. Depending on the HWC you could knock it down substantially more. Oh I missed the cauliflower of 1.9, but I still think it comes out fine.

Quote:

On the calorie issue....I have always found that I lose better on more calories...actually carb cycling seems to work (although I don't count carbs)....I seem to gravitate to one day higher calories/carbs and the next lower. When I used to do JUDD, I always lost after the UD, not the DD. I think our bodies are all different and you have to find what suits you best. After all these years of yo-yo dieting, I know my metabolism is so screwed up that if I cut calories way down my body holds onto every ounce!!
WTG! I do better on higher calories and alternating as well. After all these years of dieting my body is on to me too. I have to sneak up on it.

Last edited by TerriMM; 01-13-2014 at 08:52 AM..
TerriMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #395
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beebug123
Stats: 250.5/205/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 13, 2011
Ah the weekend FLEW by. Weighed in today at 207.5, down another lb. happy to see that because I had a run-in with a slice of chocolate cake on Sat and the cake won. My girls were eating it and didn't want anymore and handed it to me and I started eating it without even thinking about it, realized what I was eating and threw it away before I ate the whole thing. We talked about hair cuts last week. My girls and I all went yesterday. Love my new cut. The lady cutting it actually cut out all of the dry part. Usually I get someone who is afraid to take any length out of my hair so a week after it is dry and gross. I want to take better care of myself this year so I need to make sure I am more consistent on cuts. My girls are going to a sleepover tonight with Girl Scouts (yes a weeknight! We homeschool and my girls are in a homeschool troop) so hubby and I are going out for date night. Those chowder recipes all sound yummy but the last time I made cauliflower my ydd ended up in the ER in anaphylactic shock. Her throat was swelling shut and she couldn't breathe, and her face swelled up as well. So scary but she is now an epi kid and I am afraid to make cauliflower again.
Goal #1 225lbs "first 25" *reached 9/21/11*
Goal #2 214lbs "overweight bmi" *reached 11/12/11*
Goal #3 199.5lbs "onderland" *reached 2/1/12*
Goal #4 178lbs "normal bmi"
Beebug123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #396
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 144/142.7/130
WOE: IE/M&E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebug123 View Post
Ah the weekend FLEW by. Weighed in today at 207.5, down another lb. happy to see that because I had a run-in with a slice of chocolate cake on Sat and the cake won. My girls were eating it and didn't want anymore and handed it to me and I started eating it without even thinking about it, realized what I was eating and threw it away before I ate the whole thing. We talked about hair cuts last week. My girls and I all went yesterday. Love my new cut. The lady cutting it actually cut out all of the dry part. Usually I get someone who is afraid to take any length out of my hair so a week after it is dry and gross. I want to take better care of myself this year so I need to make sure I am more consistent on cuts. My girls are going to a sleepover tonight with Girl Scouts (yes a weeknight! We homeschool and my girls are in a homeschool troop) so hubby and I are going out for date night. Those chowder recipes all sound yummy but the last time I made cauliflower my ydd ended up in the ER in anaphylactic shock. Her throat was swelling shut and she couldn't breathe, and her face swelled up as well. So scary but she is now an epi kid and I am afraid to make cauliflower again.
Wow I never heard that from Cauliflower. How scary! If that ever happened at our house it wouldn't again cross our threshold either.
TerriMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #397
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: love2live
Stats: 270.5/245/150
WOE: Atkins - induction **ultimate goal 150**
Start Date: 1/01/2014
Quote:
Not only managed to make it through the weekend without a gain...but actually lost another 1.5! This is such a big deal for me. Every little success is making me feel a little stronger and that I can do it this time!
Congratulations for making it through another weekend. Goodness, 1.5 is a huge loss. When I read posts like yours I become inspired. Keep up the good work!

love2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #398
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK31040 View Post
I do the same when i have too much time on my hands!
I agree with mayleesa. Think about the fact that a little over 1900 calories would be cutting 25% of your daily food which is a good day to start. If you feel good there then drop it by 100-150 after a few days and see how you feel. I wouldn't be too concerned about the 1lb vs 2 pound thing either. You loose faster on this diet and if your like me, you are doing a little extra moving and a shaking because your thinking about yourself skinny
I believe you are right about cutting 25% of my daily food. I don't want to get into a downward spiral and end up buying a package of Oreo cookies. And, you are absolutely right! I do have too much time on my hands. I'm in between semesters and I wonder around cleaning and feeling somewhat lost. I am also trying to wean myself off of Facebook.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #399
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fran1963
Stats: 179/155/135 5'3"
Start Date: Jan 2009
Hey everyone, sounds like everyone is doing great. I love the soup recipes!!! Definitely going to try these. Nothing like a hot bowl of soup when you come in from the cold! Hoping everyone has a successful Monday!!!
fran1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Way to go onceNforall!!!

Weighed in this morning after an UpDay and it was so disappointing! I am not even going to record it. I usually only weigh in after DownDays for this very reason. Ugh! Why did I do it? Especially aggravating as I exercised so hard yesterday. I simply must remember that sometimes exercise is the exact reason for the higher weight, as my body's rebuilding of muscle tissue also causes water retention.

Anyway, today is a DownDay so I am sure I will have a much better scale result tomorrow morning.

I remember this about JUDDD-never weigh after an up day! The way the scale bounce on that woe can drive you crazy.

I forgot to take my diuretic yesterday so I'm up a pound But I'm back into my size 14 jeans!
Crazy Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #401
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki

Got to my 10000 steps yesterday, plus my fitbit logged 66 "very active minutes" and an elevation equivalent of 19 floors, which sounds about right as I walked some hills yesterday ~ with ankle weights, wrist weights, and my weighted vest. It is getting easier! I am starting to enjoy walking again rather than dreading it.

NSV: exercise is finally starting to feel good again, instead of feeling like torture.
Well, 10,000 steps is quite a feat. Great job. I looked into it and it really looks interesting. How long have you been using it?
Old 01-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #402
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Woohoo for the date night!
Good for you to throw the rest of the chocolate cake away. That took a lot of self-discipline. Congratulations!
Anaphylactic shock sounds really scary. My DH is allergic to peas cantaloupe and watermelon. It's amazing what people can be allergic to. It's a good thing you're ydd was in a place where she could get help and could catch this allergy early.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #403
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: healthy lower carb meals - no snacking
started ripped in 30 by Jillian Michaels. Finishing up week one....pretty hard stuff, but good! So, we will see how it goes....I'm enjoying sweating!
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #404
Major LCF Poster!

Well, Healthy For Life I thought of you again this morning as I was walking really fast past my Scales that are in the bedroom right now. I'm going to have to put them away so I won't be tempted.

I finally decided to make a mammogram and a colonoscopy appointment. I have been putting off the colonoscopy for a while, but I need to just suck it up and get it over with.

This year seems to be flying by already, I can't believe it's already almost the middle of January. My clothes don't fit any loser but I tend to lose weight differently than I gain. I believe when I put on weight it's a slow gradual process that is evenly distributed over all of my body. However, when I lose, I lose in my face, hands, then my feet first. Then my shoulder blades will become visible and the next thing that will go are my boobs The last place I noticed weight-loss will be my hips, thighs, and behind area.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #405
Senior LCF Member

@love2live --- yes, the last place for me to lose is in my butt-----at least my stomach goes before that, so that's good at least...lol And kudos to you for making those appointments...
Old 01-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #406
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2live View Post
Well, 10,000 steps is quite a feat. Great job. I looked into it and it really looks interesting. How long have you been using it?
I have only had a Fitbit for about a week. I bought a used Flex on eBay and then changed my mind and got a used Force from a friend. So I have tried both. The Fitbit Flex is smaller, more waterproof, looks better on my wrist, and has interchangeable wristbands. But the Force had a few additional features I really needed: a MUCH more informative readout, an altimeter, and, most importantly, a watch. I mean, if a big, ugly wristband is going to sit 24/7 on my left wrist right exactly where my watch usually goes, it had better have a watch built in. I kept trying to check the time and remembering that the Flex is not a watch.

So -- so far, so good with the Fitbit Force in spite of the fact that it is bulkier than the Flex. I really, really wish the Force was as small as the Flex and had interchangeable wristbands, though.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #407
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Quote:
... Usually I get someone who is afraid to take any length out of my hair so a week after it is dry and gross.
Merinda, Have you ever tried Olive oil for your hair? I normally have very dry, brittle, frizzy hair - just really unmanageable and ugly. I started doing the olive oil dip 2x a week and it has helped A LOT!!! You coat your hair when dry with the olive oil, wrap it up in a towel for an hour and then wash out. My hair after using this for two months now is actually starting to get the beautiful luster I see a lot of women have, no more dry , brittle, tangled, frizzy mess.
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #408
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
I want a FitBit!!! Maybe for my birthday?? Hoping :-)

Yesterday's weight:210.4
Today's weight: 209

I knew my hard work would pay off! I am down 9 pounds since restarting. Only 5 pounds to go before I hit my all time low AGAIN. My plan is to pass it right on by as I make it to the 100's.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #409
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beebug123
Stats: 250.5/205/175
Start Date: July 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
Merinda, Have you ever tried Olive oil for your hair? I normally have very dry, brittle, frizzy hair - just really unmanageable and ugly. I started doing the olive oil dip 2x a week and it has helped A LOT!!! You coat your hair when dry with the olive oil, wrap it up in a towel for an hour and then wash out. My hair after using this for two months now is actually starting to get the beautiful luster I see a lot of women have, no more dry , brittle, tangled, frizzy mess.
I tried this with the hair oil I had. Not sure what kinds it is though. I hadn't used any leave in conditioner and I started doing that which has helped some. My favorite one has actually been from Johnson and Johnson kids line. I hardly wash my hair either because it is just so dry...it's always been like this but I guess as I've gotten older the texture has changed. I probably would be a great candidate for no-pooing but I can't get through the gross sticky phase of it lol.
Beebug123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #410
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
YAY CFINE!!! see the whoosh fairy is MAGICAL!!! I'll take her back please I need some lovin....
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #411
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
I am sending her right on over, Mayleesa!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:15 AM   #412
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phase
Stats: 191/80s/30s - 5'3"
WOE: Low Carb/Keto
Start Date: January 2012
Woowho! I'm down .6 this morning. lol It's not a lot but I'm thrilled because I was at 181.8 for 3 days and I had two pieces of leftover low carb pizza for breakfast yesterday so if anything I was expecting a gain.
Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:54 AM   #413
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Everyone here seems to be doing really well. For those having some trouble, just keep at it and don't give up. I have modified my time for eating to get most of my calories for the day in by lunch with a small dinner if still hungry. It seems to have helped.

1/1 167.2
1/2 167.6
1/3 167.8
1/4 165.2
1/5 165.2
1/6 164.0
1/7 DNW
1/8 165.2
1/9 165.2
1/10 164.41
1/11 165.0
1/12 165.0 (TOM)
1/13 164.8 (TOM)
1/14 163.8 (TOM)

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently."Henry Ford

My Weight Journal ~MissyDee~

mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:53 AM   #414
Senior LCF Member

Weighed in at 161.0 this morning so I am definitely still losing but it is slowing down. I think it may be time for an UUAD soon. Strangely enough, an occasional day of caloric indulgence (as long as I stay low-carb) seems to boost my weight loss.

Did my walking workout again last night. I have classes for the next three nights in a row so no walking for a few days. But I think I'm going to try to squeeze in some yoga and abs videos this morning.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #415
Senior LCF Member

Way to Go CFINE---down 9 lbs is impressive! Good Job!

Week 1 of Ripped in 30 is done tomorrow. Week 2 starts on Saturday for me. It's kicking my butt! Feeling good sweating though.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:19 AM   #416
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyathome
142.4 today.

B- fried egg, coffee
L-not sure yet
D- not sure yet

I never know what might sound good for lunch until it's time to eat.
ladyathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #417
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sk8termom
Stats: 291/266.5/170
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 1, 2014
I'm getting out of the weeds now, back on plan. Bad weekend, had a good day yesterday. I think the daily weigh-ins are too much for me. Need to develop a better plan for weekends too. Great job everyone - hope I can learn from you.
sk8termom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:06 AM   #418
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning everyone!

Hiya!

Sounds like everyone is on track and doing wonderful!

I've been going through bags/boxes and containers of clothes and I am still surprised how small I used to be. I hold up many shirts and think to myself, did I really fit into that? Boy, I let myself go. I am such an emotional eater and through this journey of losing this fat, need to find a way to get through times that emotionally upset me.

I've done a good job now for two days cutting out the butter and my new goal is to drink more water. I started logging in the amount I drink and it looks like I'm only drinking about 4 cups a day. I drink more when I could put some of those flavoring aids, but I tend to break out in rashes so I must be allergic to something in them.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #419
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: healthy for life
Stats: 165/156/130 height 5'5"
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: January 3, 2014
hi guys! I wish I could say I've been sticking to the no weigh in thing but I have failed on that one. I'm sitting at 155.5 but super happy as it's still a solid 5.5 pounds down in 12 days. plus it's TOM so I'm expecting a woosh after that. I'm still 100% on plan and no booze. feeling great!!
I am going to try that nacho soup recipe, looks so good!
xo A
healthy for life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:33 AM   #420
Senior LCF Member

@love2live--I understand the emotional eating habit. I struggle with that everyday. I have to stay away from chocolate, chocolate was the hug I needed, or the nap I needed, or the kick in the butt I needed. I repeat to myself often: I control my food, not the other way around!

I like your goal to drink more water!