Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 08:43 AM   #361
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Oops, forgot to check in:

Weighed in this morning at 161.4. Today is an UpDay so hopefully I won't undo any of my loss by over-indulging today.

We are skipping church because both the kids are sick: one has flu, the other one has a wicked cold. So today I am watching football with the hubs and DS, doing some gardening, and putting all the Christmas boxes back up on their shelves in the garage (which is a huge workout in itself). Tonight I will be walking with 22 pounds of weights and doing an arm workout at the same time thanks to my new hands-free dog leash.

Upgraded to the Fitbit Force. I liked the Flex (a lot) but the Force has a few features I couldn't live without: results readouts, altimeter and (most importantly) A WATCH. If the Flex had had a watch I would have kept it. I liked its size and waterproof-ness better. But I had to have a watch. Anyway it seems to work the same so I am pleased. I dislike how huge and clunky it is compared to the Flex, though.

Last edited by nikki; 01-12-2014 at 08:44 AM..
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #362
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: love2live
Stats: 270.5/245/150
WOE: Atkins - induction **ultimate goal 150**
Start Date: 1/01/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy for life View Post
I totally agree with you! It is hard to pass on the drinks when you enjoy it so much. good for you for sticking to your guns. I find the scale incredibly frustrating too. I think daily weighing is awful and I am seriously contemplating not weighing myself at all for the rest of the month until jan 31 and hopefully be surprised with a nice loss then. Anybody else want to join me in that???
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy for life View Post
Niki- I totally agree and the way I look at it I am doing this plan I'm on no matter what until jan 31 (no booze and strict low carb) so whatever I lose is going to be the same whether I weigh daily or not. I am not tweaking it because I have an up day and decide to change what is clearly working. (down 5.5 lbs in 10 days) even though today was the first day the scale moved in 4 days. In the past I can get derailed or binge too if I have an up day and become frustrated. I use the ketostix once a day....
Healthy For Life,
I thought of you this morning and walked relight past the scales. I love your idea, thanks! When I weighed myself yesterday morning and saw the increase of pounds for "no reason at all" I thought of eating only one meal a day...and then I thought of food all day. Boy, I have issues with that electronic number.

I do like using the ketosis sticks because when the are purple, I believe I am doing great!

I have decided to cut out the butter and mayo today just because those two items really seem to rack up the calorie points. I know that lo carbing really doesn't matter about calories, however, I want to stay below 1400 calories a day. I need to relearn how to eat, and I know there will come a time when I won't be on strick locarb meals, so I need to wean myself off of what I call condiment items.

January ~ 250 February ~ 240
March ~ 230 April ~ 220
May ~ 210 June ~ 200
July ~ 190 August ~ 180
September ~ 170 October ~ 160
November ~ 150 December ~ goal
love2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:56 AM   #363
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
Weighed in today and lost another 2.6 lbs. That's a total of 10.6 lbs in 2 weeks . I was really worried this week because the scale was not moving. The 2.6 lbs came off the last 2 days of the week. It was a rough week, because I was back to work full time. I'm a teacher and there is always food in the faculty room...everyday, cookies, candy, etc... Not to mention the kiddies coming around with birthday treats...agggh!!! But I was so good, didn't cave once. I was hoping to lose more than I did this week, but I'll take it. Any amount of loss is good. Just as long as I keep heading in the right direction. So my starting weight was 195.6 and now I am at 185.0. Feels good. Now, I have to try and incorporate some exercise into my routine. Took a yoga class on Thursday...it was hard, but I felt so good afterwards. Going to do that class every Thursday and try to hit the gym before work in the morning to get some cardio in. My goal is at least 3 times a week. Gonna start off slow and just try walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes on those mornings. Well, I hope everyone else had a great week.
Oh my goodness, that's wonderful about your loss!
I too need to do some exercise. Thanks for your post, it is a great reminder. I think my brain sabotages me when I deprive it of mashed potatoes and gravy...like no even thinking about exercise. I did find my pedometer and now need to get a battery for it. Yoga--Owie is all I can say. I'm not really good in those classes because I get the giggles when I look around at everyone stretching, flexing, concentrating and I look like a monk seal basking in the sun. I think I'll try the treadmill first.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #364
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Oops, forgot to check in:

Weighed in this morning at 161.4. Today is an UpDay so hopefully I won't undo any of my loss by over-indulging today.

We are skipping church because both the kids are sick: one has flu, the other one has a wicked cold. So today I am watching football with the hubs and DS, doing some gardening, and putting all the Christmas boxes back up on their shelves in the garage (which is a huge workout in itself). Tonight I will be walking with 22 pounds of weights and doing an arm workout at the same time thanks to my new hands-free dog leash.
Nikki, what a great name!

So sorry to hear about the kids being sick. That's not fun.
Gardening? Oh my, you must live in an awesome place with awesome weather.

What is a hands free dog leash?
Old 01-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #365
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyathome
Happy Sunday everyone.

143.8 today.

I chose a couple of denim capri pants to use for my clothing items to try on weekly until they fit. They are a size 10 and I can put them on and button/zip them but they are too tight. Muffin top all around.

So I will try them on weekly until they fit decently to actually wear. I had a cute denim skirt I wanted to use but I must have gotten rid of it.
ladyathome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #366
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Crazy Cat
Stats: That's me on the left! 194.5/190/150. 54 & 5'5"
WOE: Lower carb-cutting back on wheat & refined sugar
Start Date: Restarting LC 7/17/13
192lbs this morning, so a total of 7 pounds lost. I'm sort of amazed, I don't think I lost this fast in 2011 when I first did low carb.

Breakfast-2 cups BBC

Lunch-mug of Creamy Nacho Soup

D-Linda Sue's Tuna casserole quiche

I need to pickup some more dark chocolate Raisinets. A few of those every evening have helped keep me from feeling deprived.
Crazy Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #367
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
what is BBC and Nacho soup!!!???
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #368
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2live View Post
Nikki, what a great name!

So sorry to hear about the kids being sick. That's not fun.
Gardening? Oh my, you must live in an awesome place with awesome weather.

What is a hands free dog leash?
It's a belt designed to hook a leash on. Something like this:

I wear a weight vest, ankle weights, and wrist weights ~ and walk the dog around the neighborhood while constantly flapping my arms up and down while talking to my mom on my bluetooth. I am sure the neighbors think I am completely loco.

Oops, sorry that pic was sooo big.

Last edited by nikki; 01-12-2014 at 11:49 AM..
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #369
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: TerriMM
Stats: 148.4/138.7/130
WOE: HDE/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK31040 View Post
I agree the key is to have lots of LC at the ready. I am lucky in that my boyfriend is also doing low carb with me. It also means that my Sundays often turn into a cook a thon so we have plenty for the work week.

Starting today with 2lb bacon, LC clam chowder, spicy sausage and pepper soup, zucchini with sugar free pasta sauce & cheese, egg drop soup, herbed green beans, and counting out servings of nuts. Celery for snacks. Made a point to take out some veggies from the garden this past summer.

I also love buying chicken hind quarters and baking with the skin in the oven for those days you really don't feel like cooking. Add some microwave broccoli and there's your meal.
Having low carb options at the ready are the key for me too! Browned a pound of sausage for morning eggs, leftover chicken thighs from last night and will make a quiche for lunch today for leftovers too.

Would you consider sharing your LC clam chowder recipe? That might really help DH stay on track!
TerriMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #370
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: countrygrrl
Stats: 198/192/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/4/2014
Hi Ladies, I just found this lite and I love it. So much support here. I started 1/4/14 weighing in at 198 and as of this AM I am at 192. Can I please join ya'll???
(I am using the pouty face I use to get my way with DH) hehe
countrygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #371
Major LCF Poster!

of course!!! All are welcome!!! come in and Have Not Another Fat Summer!!! I can't wait to be 192!!! I'm hoping for 160 by 06/01/14...lofty I know but If I shoot for the Moon, I may still land upon the stars!!!
Old 01-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #372
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: countrygrrl
Stats: 198/192/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/4/2014
Thank you mayleesa, are you following anything specific or just low carb in general

Last edited by countrygrrl; 01-12-2014 at 12:18 PM..
countrygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #373
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayleesa View Post
what is BBC and Nacho soup!!!???
Sorry, should have been BPC-bullet proof coffee!

I live on the creamy nacho soup in the winter. I hate to cook, and I've tweeked this a bit to make it really simple. Here's the way I make it, and the original recipe:

My way:
32 oz chicken broth
1 bag frozen cauliflower
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 block cream cheese
1 pack Jimmy Dean sausage crumbles

Boil cauliflower in chicken broth until very tender. Break up florets into tiny pieces. Cut cream cheese into small pieces, add to cauliflower. Mix until well blended, add tomatoes and sausage, season to taste, simmer until heated through. I like the cauliflower chunky so I don't puree it. I've frozen this soup with no problems.

Linda Sue's Creamy Nacho Soup
1 pound pork sausage I just use a pack of the Jimmy Dean sausage crumbles
1 small onion, diced, 2 1/2 ounces
1 medium cauliflower, 20 ounces
4 cups chicken broth
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
10 ounce can Ro-tel tomatoes, undrained (diced tomatoes with green chiles)
2 teaspoons salt or to taste
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika, optional
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped, optional

In a large soup pot, cook the sausage and onion; drain the fat. Remove from the pot and set aside. Cut the cauliflower into florets; add to the soup pot along with the broth and Ro-tel tomatoes. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 25 minutes until the cauliflower is very tender. Cut the cream cheese into small cubes and add to the soup. Puree the soup with a stick blender until smooth. Stir in the sausage; heat through over medium-low heat. Adjust the seasoning and add the cilantro, if using.

Makes 8 cups or 8 servings
Freezing not recommended
Old 01-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #374
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CK31040
Stats: 142/124/125
WOE: Lower Carb maintenance
Start Date: Dec 27 2013: Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriMM View Post
Having low carb options at the ready are the key for me too! Browned a pound of sausage for morning eggs, leftover chicken thighs from last night and will make a quiche for lunch today for leftovers too.

Would you consider sharing your LC clam chowder recipe? That might really help DH stay on track!
Cheater Chowder:
1/4 head cauliflower cut into "rice"
3+ slices bacon cut up ( I use left over but you could cut & fry in same pot)
1/2 med onion diced
2 cups half and half
1 can baby clams (10oz) including liquid
Salt and Pepper to taste

Add small amount of water to the cauliflower and cook until it starts to get soft. I add onion part way through cooking. Add bacon, half and half, then clams and heat to simmer for a few minutes. Add salt and pepper until it tastes right to you.

This is a recipe I modified from one of Dana Carpender's books. Some of her stuff is amazing, and others are just plain gross. She also has a similar recipe that uses spinach with the clams which is pretty delicious and simple to make.
CK31040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:30 PM   #375
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Cat View Post
Sorry, should have been BPC-bullet proof coffee!

I live on the creamy nacho soup in the winter. I hate to cook, and I've tweeked this a bit to make it really simple. Here's the way I make it, and the original recipe:

My way:
32 oz chicken broth
1 bag frozen cauliflower
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 block cream cheese
1 pack Jimmy Dean sausage crumbles

Boil cauliflower in chicken broth until very tender. Break up florets into tiny pieces. Cut cream cheese into small pieces, add to cauliflower. Mix until well blended, add tomatoes and sausage, season to taste, simmer until heated through. I like the cauliflower chunky so I don't puree it. I've frozen this soup with no problems.

Linda Sue's Creamy Nacho Soup
1 pound pork sausage I just use a pack of the Jimmy Dean sausage crumbles
1 small onion, diced, 2 1/2 ounces
1 medium cauliflower, 20 ounces
4 cups chicken broth
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
10 ounce can Ro-tel tomatoes, undrained (diced tomatoes with green chiles)
2 teaspoons salt or to taste
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika, optional
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped, optional

In a large soup pot, cook the sausage and onion; drain the fat. Remove from the pot and set aside. Cut the cauliflower into florets; add to the soup pot along with the broth and Ro-tel tomatoes. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 25 minutes until the cauliflower is very tender. Cut the cream cheese into small cubes and add to the soup. Puree the soup with a stick blender until smooth. Stir in the sausage; heat through over medium-low heat. Adjust the seasoning and add the cilantro, if using.

Makes 8 cups or 8 servings
Freezing not recommended
That sounds awesome Jan, thanks for sharing! I'm trying that one today!
Old 01-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #376
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Cheater Chowder:
1/2 med onion diced
2 cups half and half
Salt and Pepper to taste

Add small amount of water to the cauliflower and cook until it starts to get soft. I add onion part way through cooking. Add bacon, half and half, then clams and heat to simmer for a few minutes. Add salt and pepper until it tastes right to you.

This is a recipe I modified from one of Dana Carpender's books. Some of her stuff is amazing, and others are just plain gross. She also has a similar recipe that uses spinach with the clams which is pretty delicious and simple to make.
Thank CK! Now I have to figure out which one to try first They both sound so great! I'm thinking both before the week is done
Old 01-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #377
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Cheater Chowder:
1/2 med onion diced
2 cups half and half
Salt and Pepper to taste

P.S. I'm a big Dana Carpender fan too. The quiche I'm making today is my modified version of her Chili Relleno Casserole.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #378
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Cheater Chowder:
1/2 med onion diced
2 cups half and half
Salt and Pepper to taste

Mmmm, that sounds good! I'll have to add that to my list of easy, LC foods. I need things that I can just pull out of the fridge and heat up.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:58 PM   #379
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygrrl View Post
Hi Ladies, I just found this lite and I love it. So much support here. I started 1/4/14 weighing in at 198 and as of this AM I am at 192. Can I please join ya'll???
(I am using the pouty face I use to get my way with DH) hehe
Old 01-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #380
Major LCF Poster!

BarbecuePotatoChips

BBC

I was drooling over BarbecuePotatoChips!
Old 01-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #381
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
It's a belt designed to hook a leash on. Something like this:

I wear a weight vest, ankle weights, and wrist weights ~ and walk the dog around the neighborhood while constantly flapping my arms up and down while talking to my mom on my bluetooth. I am sure the neighbors think I am completely loco.

Oops, sorry that pic was sooo big.
I can just see our dog knocking me off my feet and dragging me through traffic.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #382
Major LCF Poster!

Now, this sound yummy. I'm gonna try to make this DH too. I just calculated the total carbs which is about 50. I'm afraid if I make it for myself, I'll eat the whole lot in one sitting.

Quote:
Cheater Chowder:
1/2 med onion diced
2 cups half and half
Salt and Pepper to taste

Old 01-12-2014, 01:59 PM   #383
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Healthy For Life,
I thought of you this morning and walked relight past the scales. I love your idea, thanks! When I weighed myself yesterday morning and saw the increase of pounds for "no reason at all" I thought of eating only one meal a day...and then I thought of food all day. Boy, I have issues with that electronic number.

I do like using the ketosis sticks because when the are purple, I believe I am doing great!

I have decided to cut out the butter and mayo today just because those two items really seem to rack up the calorie points. I know that lo carbing really doesn't matter about calories, however, I want to stay below 1400 calories a day. I need to relearn how to eat, and I know there will come a time when I won't be on strick locarb meals, so I need to wean myself off of what I call condiment items.
Niki

Your goal of 1400 calories seems unrealistic to me for your current size. Remember if you cut it too low your body thinks its starving itself and you won't see a loss either. You may want to start with a calorie needs calculator if you haven't used one before. They seem to vary a lot but even for my weight/age/size 138/25/5'4" it shows i should have 1800-1900 calories before cutting for weight loss. No wonder you are hungry. I personally wouldn't go below 1400 on a consistent basis for someone my size unless there is some medical reason.

Just my 2 cents. I don't want to sound pushy but I don't want you inadvertently sabotaging yourself either when you are obviously working really hard to loose the pounds.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #384
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Sk8ter Mom, please don't give up. You can do this!

Congratulations on everyone's losses. I love reading about your progress. I am excited about the summer!

Yesterday weight:210
Today's weight:210.4
Days on plan:12

I am due for a whoosh. I am really thinking that water has replaced the fat because I feel smaller but the scale keeps going up. It's a great motivator to stay on plan.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #385
Major LCF Poster!

sending the whoooooosh fairy to ya!! i'll need her back tho but you may have her for a few days
Old 01-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #386
Major LCF Poster!

Needs calculator

Hi CK, thanks for the input, I really appreciate your input. So, I've been looking around at needs calculators.

Eating only 25 carbs per day:

To maintain my body weight, I need to eat 2,579 calories.
To lose 1 lb a week -2,079 calories.
To lose 2 lb a week -1,579 calories.

Does this sound about right?

The problem with me as I don't think I'm starving. I think I have a serious mental condition where I think about food and when I deprive myself from food I become obsessed With food. I can't remember the last time I heard my stomach growl.

Quote:
Niki

Your goal of 1400 calories seems unrealistic to me for your current size. Remember if you cut it too low your body thinks its starving itself and you won't see a loss either. You may want to start with a calorie needs calculator if you haven't used one before. They seem to vary a lot but even for my weight/age/size 138/25/5'4" it shows i should have 1800-1900 calories before cutting for weight loss. No wonder you are hungry. I personally wouldn't go below 1400 on a consistent basis for someone my size unless there is some medical reason.

Just my 2 cents. I don't want to sound pushy but I don't want you inadvertently sabotaging yourself either when you are obviously working really hard to loose the pounds.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #387
Major LCF Poster!

I might stay at one day 1400 but I find I lose better from 1700-1900 3% carbs, 80% fats and 17% protein, that seems to working right now....the 1400 would shake it up a bit one day a week, but if I stay low to long I GET GRUMPY....my roommate hogties me and shoves cheese in my mouth cause I get soooo snarky....don't cut yourself too low, this is not your Standard American Diet
Old 01-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #388
Major LCF Poster!

Mayleesa, mixing it up sounds like a great idea.

The moderator flagged my last post. I haven't had that happen before. I figured it was because I put in the websites name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayleesa View Post
I might stay at one day 1400 but I find I lose better from 1700-1900 3% carbs, 80% fats and 17% protein, that seems to working right now....the 1400 would shake it up a bit one day a week, but if I stay low to long I GET GRUMPY....my roommate hogties me and shoves cheese in my mouth cause I get soooo snarky....don't cut yourself too low, this is not your Standard American Diet
Old 01-13-2014, 02:54 AM   #389
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi CK, thanks for the input, I really appreciate your input. So, I've been looking around at needs calculators.

Eating only 25 carbs per day:

To maintain my body weight, I need to eat 2,579 calories.
To lose 1 lb a week -2,079 calories.
To lose 2 lb a week -1,579 calories.

Does this sound about right?

The problem with me as I don't think I'm starving. I think I have a serious mental condition where I think about food and when I deprive myself from food I become obsessed With food. I can't remember the last time I heard my stomach growl.
I do the same when i have too much time on my hands!
I agree with mayleesa. Think about the fact that a little over 1900 calories would be cutting 25% of your daily food which is a good day to start. If you feel good there then drop it by 100-150 after a few days and see how you feel. I wouldn't be too concerned about the 1lb vs 2 pound thing either. You loose faster on this diet and if your like me, you are doing a little extra moving and a shaking because your thinking about yourself skinny
Old 01-13-2014, 04:45 AM   #390
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Quote:
Now, this sound yummy. I'm gonna try to make this DH too. I just calculated the total carbs which is about 50. I'm afraid if I make it for myself, I'll eat the whole lot in one sitting.
Niki - I have a similar recipe for the clam chowder but using 1c hwc instead of half and half and it comes to only .68 net carbs per serving for 6 serving. I don't know how you got 50 total carbs - half and half shouldn't have that much.

• 6 slices bacon (0 carb)
  • 1/2 med onion (.5 carb from Publix)
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream (0 carb)
  • 10 oz baby clams (0 carb from Bumble Bee)
  • 1/4 head medium cauliflower (1.9 per 1/4 head)
Directions

1. Grate the cauliflower into crumbles and place into a soup pot. Cover with water and cook until tender.
  2. Dice the onion and add to pot.
  3. Fry bacon crisp and break into small pieces. Add to soup pot. Add enough water to cover and simmer for ten minutes.
  4. Add in cream and clams. Cook for another ten minutes. Serve hot or with shredded cheese as a topper.

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently."Henry Ford

My Weight Journal ~MissyDee~

Last edited by mjgh06; 01-13-2014 at 04:47 AM..
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote