Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #541
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jayce
Stats: 255/214.8/212 MG# 1
WOE: Calorie Tracking & Exercise
Good morning, y'all. Finally took my butt to the gym this a.m. Got in 40 minute Arc Trainer workout & I do feel more energized. Thanks for the encouragement & motivation!
Jayce is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2014, 11:10 AM   #542
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
Good morning!

Happy Saturday all!! Finally the weekend, what a crazy day at work!!! Well my Fat Fast rewarded me with 2 more pounds lost!

My exercise was short was week, but my eating was GREAT, so I'll take it!!! I know I'm losing major inches too, I see it in my clothes, and hubby says he see's it big time!!

What's everyone got going on this weekend?
ladyboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #543
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrstmitch
Stats: 252/220/150
WOE: Rosedale
Start Date: November 1, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyboss7 View Post
Well my Fat Fast rewarded me with 2 more pounds lost!

My exercise was short was week, but my eating was GREAT, so I'll take it!!! I know I'm losing major inches too, I see it in my clothes, and hubby says he see's it big time!!

What's everyone got going on this weekend?
Yay! Congrats on your progress!

Kudos to you, too for getting to the gym Jayce! It's so hard to get in there, but we are always glad when we finally do it!

I'm staying in an Inn in Tillamook, Oregon for the weekend! It's soooo nice just to have some time to myself!! I went down the coast and walked on a trail for over an hour! And, of course, I visited the cheese factory and got me some cheese

(so glad that cheese is low carb )

Hope everyone else is having a great weekend!

Cut the Crap (3) Challenge: week 2: 26 points total

This is me... not giving up!
mrstmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #544
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vella_marie
Stats: 334.4/315/140
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 1/3/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstmitch View Post

1) You lost a super amount of weight just during the first week. Your body is now adjusting to that change.

2) I would highly recommend that you weigh just once a week. Weight fluctuates from day to day, and it's mostly due to water variances. Don't base your emotions on what the scale says-- it's deceptive, and many times not a very good indication of how successful you are!
I know I shouldn't be a drama queen about it. My goal was not to get on the scale so much since I have a tenancy of being obsessed with it. I just love seeing the numbers go down, if I am not careful I will end up at scale checkers annoymo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyboss7 View Post
This year the halftime show is Bruno Mars (LOVE HIM!!) and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.....should be a good show!!

Vella Marie, the scales can be SOOOOO frustrating! I read a GREAT article earlier that I thought was really helpful:

WHY THE SCALES CAN LIE

A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter: Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.

The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It's a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting.

However, if you give those fat cells some time, like 4-6 months, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show. The moral of the story - be patient! Your body is changing even if the number on the scale isn't.

PATTERNS OF WEIGHT LOSS

Common patterns of weight loss from tracking a lot of people who become assimilated into the low carb lifestyle, a pattern emerges.... the 2 week induction is pretty heady...weight lost just about every single day, enormous and unbelievable amounts of weight loss are reported. This is often followed by complaints that weight loss "stalls" or that the rate drops to only 1 pound per week.

Many people just don't know that fat-loss ...the actual goal when on a weight-reduction" diet, is rate-limited. In other words, the human body has factors that prevent more than a certain amount of fatty-acid release from storage...and even more factors that prevent those released fatty acids from being used up instead of stored back into the fat cells.

A priority of the human body is survival. Anything that threatens its survival results in the cascade of events to maintain the previous status quo. Water fluctuations are one way the body does this. OK...so you done good on Atkins' during induction...lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks. Maybe 7 the first week and 3 the second. But, whoa! Weeks 3 and 4 there is NO loss! And weeks 5 and 6 is only 1/2 pound each!

So... what gives? Initially, the body jettisons the water attached to the glycogen stores that we diligently deplete to get into ketosis...this accounts for about 3-5 pounds of water. In addition, muscle stores of glycogen are not being replaced when used...which will account for the rest. All in all...MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized during the first week... and MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized the 2nd week. Of that 10 initial pounds, only 1 pound was fat and 9 pounds water...

The body senses this lack and sirens start shrieking: Warning! Warning! Losing water... new thing...got to get back to the status quo! Brain tells body to produce and release that vasopressin anti-diuretic hormone....more water is retained, and no weight loss noticed. Fat loss is still occurring, MAYBE even 2 pounds per week, because ketosis is firmly established and appetite suppression is in effect...but water retention is hiding that continuing fat loss. The body is preventing dehydration with this mechanism, and that's a *good* thing.

From the perspective of the scale, it can be discouraging. Which is why the mantra: Water retention masks fat loss (repeated frequently to oneself) is helpful. Water retention will mask ongoing fat-loss for as long as the body retains the water. We can combat this by drinking more water...but we aren't going to totally overcome this mechanism during the initial water-loss phase of the Atkins diet. By weeks 5 and 6, things start to get back in balance, and the scale will begin to reflect the true fat-loss...which, as mentioned before is rate-limited.

Individuals vary, but max weight loss runs about 2 pounds per week...under extremely optimal conditions... or 1% of body weight (whichever is the lower number). So don't use the scale as an excuse to undermine your progress. Even when the scale is in a stall, fat loss can be occurring.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've been told over an over again that daily weighing is unnecessary, yet many of us can't resist peeking at that number every morning. If you just can't bring yourself to toss the scale in the trash, you should definitely familiarize yourself with the factors that influence it's readings. From water retention to glycogen storage and changes in lean body mass, daily weight fluctuations are normal. They are not indicators of your success or failure. Once you understand how these mechanisms work, you can free yourself from the daily battle with the bathroom scale.

Water makes up about 60% of total body mass. Normal fluctuations in the body's water content can send scale-watchers into a tailspin if they don't understand what's happening. Two factors influencing water retention are water consumption and salt intake. Strange as it sounds, the less water you drink, the more of it your body retains. If you are even slightly dehydrated your body will hang onto it's water supplies with a vengeance, possibly causing the number on the scale to inch upward. The solution is to drink plenty of water.

Excess salt (sodium) can also play a big role in water retention. A single teaspoon of salt contains over 2,000 mg of sodium. Generally, we should only eat between 1,000 and 3,000 mg of sodium a day, so it's easy to go overboard. Sodium is a sneaky substance. You would expect it to be most highly concentrated in salty chips, nuts, and crackers. However, a food doesn't have to taste salty to be loaded with sodium. A half cup of instant pudding actually contains nearly four times as much sodium as an ounce of salted nuts, 460 mg in the pudding versus 123 mg in the nuts.

The more highly processed a food is, the more likely it is to have a high sodium content. That's why, when it comes to eating, it's wise to stick mainly to the basics: fruits, vegetables, lean meat, beans, and whole grains. Be sure to read the labels on canned foods, boxed mixes, and frozen dinners.

Women may also retain several pounds of water prior to menstruation. This is very common and the weight will likely disappear as quickly as it arrives. Pre-menstrual water-weight gain can be minimized by drinking plenty of water, maintaining an exercise program, and keeping high-sodium processed foods to a minimum.

Another factor that can influence the scale is glycogen. Think of glycogen as a fuel tank full of stored carbohydrate. Some glycogen is stored in the liver and some is stored the muscles themselves. This energy reserve weighs more than a pound and it's packaged with 3-4 pounds of water when it's stored. Your glycogen supply will shrink during the day if you fail to take in enough carbohydrates.

As the glycogen supply shrinks you will experience a small imperceptible increase in appetite and your body will restore this fuel reserve along with it's associated water. It's normal to experience glycogen and water weight shifts of up to 2 pounds per day even with no changes in your calorie intake or activity level. These fluctuations have nothing to do with fat loss, although they can make for some unnecessarily dramatic weigh-ins if you're prone to obsessing over the number on the scale.

Otherwise rational people also tend to forget about the actual weight of the food they eat. For this reason, it's wise to weigh yourself first thing in the morning before you've had anything to eat or drink. Swallowing a bunch of food before you step on the scale is no different than putting a bunch of rocks in your pocket. The 5 pounds that you gain right after a huge dinner is not fat. It's the actual weight of everything you've had to eat and drink. The added weight of the meal will be gone several hours later when you've finished digesting it.

Exercise physiologists tell us that in order to store one pound of fat, you need to eat 3,500 calories more than your body is able to burn. In other words, to actually store the above dinner as 5 pounds of fat, it would have to contain a whopping 17,500 calories. This is not likely, in fact it's not humanly possible. So when the scale goes up 3 or 4 pounds overnight, rest easy, it's likely to be water, glycogen, and the weight of your dinner. Keep in mind that the 3,500 calorie rule works in reverse also. In order to lose one pound of fat you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in.

Generally, it's only possible to lose 1-2 pounds of fat per week. When you follow a very low calorie diet that causes your weight to drop 10 pounds in 7 days, it's physically impossible for all of that to be fat. What you're really losing is water, glycogen, and muscle.

This brings us to the scale's sneakiest attribute. It doesn't just weigh fat. It weighs muscle, bone, water, internal organs and all. When you lose "weight," that doesn't necessarily mean that you've lost fat. In fact, the scale has no way of telling you what you've lost (or gained). Losing muscle is nothing to celebrate. Muscle is a metabolically active tissue. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns, even when you're just sitting around. That's one reason why a fit, active person is able to eat considerably more food than the dieter who is unwittingly destroying muscle tissue.

Robin Landis, author of "Body Fueling," compares fat and muscles to feathers and gold. One pound of fat is like a big fluffy, lumpy bunch of feathers, and one pound of muscle is small and valuable like a piece of gold. Obviously, you want to lose the dumpy, bulky feathers and keep the sleek beautiful gold. The problem with the scale is that it doesn't differentiate between the two. It can't tell you how much of your total body weight is lean tissue and how much is fat.

There are several other measuring techniques that can accomplish this, although they vary in convenience, accuracy, and cost. Skin-fold calipers pinch and measure fat folds at various locations on the body, hydrostatic (or underwater) weighing involves exhaling all of the air from your lungs before being lowered into a tank of water, and bioelectrical impedance measures the degree to which your body fat impedes a mild electrical current.

If the thought of being pinched, dunked, or gently zapped just doesn't appeal to you, don't worry. The best measurement tool of all turns out to be your very own eyes. How do you look? How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? Are your rings looser? Do your muscles feel firmer? These are the true measurements of success. If you are exercising and eating right, don't be discouraged by a small gain on the scale. Fluctuations are perfectly normal. Expect them to happen and take them in stride.

It's a matter of mind over scale

THANKS! I loved this article!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyl View Post
OMG Bruno Mars is my male Beyonce! I absolutely adore him! Please remind me when the superbowl is gonna happen so i can record it! I love him!!!!

Doing well over here! Losses have slowed down but still managed a 1.4 lb loss last week! So wooo hoooo! Crap free living is awesome!!!

Now we have a channel called Veria that does exercise shows and and health shows and i've been watching this show called "what a relief"... its this herbalist that talks about natural remedies via herbal teas and tonics and tinctures for multiple issues: weight loss, pain, allergies, stress relief etc; i'm obsessed with figuring out where to find these things so we spent the weekend visiting different markets: latin, indian, asian, afro/carribbean! It was such an adventure.

Cle you're gonna love this: Ifound Roti in the frozen section of the Indian market with the frikkin Pillsbury Dough Boy on it!!!! OMG I can't wait to try it!!!!

Hubby and I are trying to eat more whole natural ingredients, so we saw a whole new world of veggies, herbs, spices, BEANS (omg the number of beans is mind blowing) and we absolutely can't wait to try some stuff! Anyway, check in later!
I love Bruno Mars too! Now I have a reason to watch at least the half time show. If the Packers were playing I would watch the whole thing. hehe

The 9 years I was vegetarian and vegan taught me sooo many uses of beans and lentils. My husband and I started doing the same thing a couple years ago. Even now there is no processed foods in the house. It is fun experimenting with new spices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsurgtech View Post
Going to Nassau, Bahamas. Husband and 3 kids. First time on a cruise or out of the country. I have big plans for 2014, time is flying by and its time to focus on ourselves.

So far, having a great day. I have ate on plan and walked up 5 flights of stairs on while on break. Going to do it again before I leave.

Kiki
That's great motivation. You guys are going to have so much fun. I am not sure were I want to go this Dec. I really want to go to Disney World but my husband may/ may not like that idea. I also want to go to Bora Bora or to Belize.
vella_marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #545
Senior LCF Member

Hey Ladies. I hope every is doing well.

I managed to pull myself out of a funk. Long story short, I hate being around negative people. It's like I can literally feel their negative energy attacking me. I am not miss Susie sunshine all the time, but I do try to stay positive and thankful for my life as I can. Then having to avoid some friends that never seems to understand that my body doesn't work like theirs, so yes one bite, one sip of something can make me gain weight. I keep declining friends on their invitations to go out or do anything because they are those persistent types that do not listen, or understand anything outside of what they believe is right or wrong. I guess I just don't want to keep explaining myself, I shouldn't even have too. THEN I had to cancel my trip to Vegas for a veterinary conference because of a conflict that come up. So I was really bummed about that. Then last night I was dreaming about food! Pizza and breadstick haha So I went shopping today and I could literally smell everything! I was thinking why is the happening? I decided to spend sometime outside and now I feel better. I LOVE being outdoors. I can't wait until I lose some more weight. Then I can go hiking again.

I guess it was just one of those weeks! Good news is I didn't cheat even with all the stress. I did think about hitting up my bar, but didn't do that either. I just decided to mediate for and extra half hour then spend sometime outside
Old 01-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #546
Tyl
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
Omg!!!!! We are halfway through the challenge!

CTC week 4 results:
Name: wk 4 pts/total pts

Chantyl: 11/44

Last edited by Tyl; 01-25-2014 at 09:39 PM..
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:43 PM   #547
Tyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vella_marie View Post

I love Bruno Mars too! Now I have a reason to watch at least the half time show. If the Packers were playing I would watch the whole thing. hehe

The 9 years I was vegetarian and vegan taught me sooo many uses of beans and lentils. My husband and I started doing the same thing a couple years ago. Even now there is no processed foods in the house. It is fun experimenting with new spices.

That's great motivation. You guys are going to have so much fun. I am not sure were I want to go this Dec. I really want to go to Disney World but my husband may/ may not like that idea. I also want to go to Bora Bora or to Belize.
We are having so much fun with spices! We have been to all kinds of markets and are randomly trying things! Why did u stop the vegan/vegetarian lifestyle, if u don't mind sharing! I have been not in the mood for much meat lately and beans are keeping me sane
Old 01-25-2014, 11:19 PM   #548
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Week 4

Sunday 19 Jan
Weight: 122.8lbs
WOE: ate on plan for a MD
Exercise: 1.5hr kayak session in swimming pool

Monday 20 Jan
WOE: ate on plan for DD
Exercise: kayaking cancelled because of weather again

Tuesday 21 Jan
Weight: 122.2lbs
WOE: ate on plan for UD
Exercise: 1hr weight training

Wednesday 22 Jan
Weight: 123.6lbs
Exercise: rest day

Thursday 23 Jan
Weight: DNW
Exercise: 1hr swimming pool kayak practice

Friday 24 Jan
Weight: 123.0lbs
Exercise: rest day

Saturday 25 Jan
Exercise: 3hrs kayaking outdoors

CTC week 4 total 11pts.
July 2014 Life, eh! In March I had a DXA scan which revealed very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional and normal service may resume at some point
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #549
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

CTC week 4 results:

SlowSure: 11/40
Old 01-26-2014, 12:25 AM   #550
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
CTC week 4 results:

Kim: 4/25
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #551
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kjsurgtech
Stats: 224/214/185 5'9"
WOE: healthier way of eating
Start Date: Sept. 2011, Dec. 2013

Kiki:10/30

Down 3 pounds this week.
kjsurgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #552
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: weewess
Stats: (hi215)173/169/148
WOE: Induction/LC
Start Date: Reboot Dec. 26, 2013

Weewess: 5/30

The last couple of weeks have been a challenge, but I am back to finish THIS challenge strong!
weewess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #553
Major LCF Poster!

Tammy: 9/44 - down 14 lbs so far since starting CTC!!!

Vella Marie, good for you for persevering and not cheating!!!
Old 01-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #554
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Hey girlies! I can't believe another week has come & gone...going so fast!

While my exercise may have been taken away from me for the time being, I haven't let my injury dictate what went into my mouth all week. Despite all the good intentions of eating well & staying hydrated, I am STILL up in weight. I figure it'll go back down once I'm able to become more mobile and more of the swelling goes down from my back.

With that said, I had 7 points for food and 0 for exercise.. Despite not losing again this week, I am still down 3 pounds from when we first started the challenge...better than nothing!

Tammy: 9/44
Danielle: 7/39

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #555
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Elaine05
Stats: 210/178/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept 2011
Not the best weeks results but:
5 points for eating
3 for exercise
A not impressive total of 8 points.
Oh well, today is a new week and I've eaten well and snow shoed for about 45 minutes in two to three feet of snow. Thank god the dog is big and she broke the trail!
Elaine05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #556
Tyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsurgtech View Post

Down 3 pounds this week.
3lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2014, 07:19 PM   #557
Tyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by weewess View Post

The last couple of weeks have been a challenge, but I am back to finish THIS challenge strong!
You can do anything for four weeks! You've done a great job already! Keep going!
Old 01-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #558
Tyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
Hey girlies! I can't believe another week has come & gone...going so fast!

While my exercise may have been taken away from me for the time being, I haven't let my injury dictate what went into my mouth all week. Despite all the good intentions of eating well & staying hydrated, I am STILL up in weight. I figure it'll go back down once I'm able to become more mobile and more of the swelling goes down from my back.

With that said, I had 7 points for food and 0 for exercise.. Despite not losing again this week, I am still down 3 pounds from when we first started the challenge...better than nothing!

It's so hard when u r injured! But u did well with what you CAN control!
Old 01-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #559
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
My week hasn't been the best, but things seem to be shaping up. I am still at 3 lbs down. I had been 6 lbs down, but bounced up 3.

I am going to have to change my WOE. I had it stuck in my head that straight LC wouldn't work for me anymore (because it quit working some time back, but since then I have figured out I am sensitive to dairy, so maybe that was the problem.

Gina: 7/39
Old 01-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #560
Senior LCF Member

Point Update--Week 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine05 View Post
Not the best weeks results but:
5 points for eating
3 for exercise
A not impressive total of 8 points.
Oh well, today is a new week and I've eaten well and snow shoed for about 45 minutes in two to three feet of snow. Thank god the dog is big and she broke the trail!
Hey, Girl, 8 points is better than zero!! Tomorrow is another day, right??

I was away for the weekend and didn't do as good as I should have... I ate "legal" choices, but brought a bag of pistachios with me and wouldn't stop eating them last night I had a great week, so hopefully, I didn't sabotage it all by eating too many dang nuts. (I weigh on Mondays, so I'll find out tomorrow morning)

POINT UPDATE-
WEEK 4

Elaine: 8/31
Tracy: 12/44
Old 01-26-2014, 11:46 PM   #561
Senior LCF Member

Results

11/24

Lost the pound that I gained so I still didn't make it out of 320 this week. time to up the exercise.

Tyl-- My preferred way of eating is vegetarian. Actually! I prefer raw, organic, vegan ( except legumes and rice) but as good as I felt, food choices where soooo limited, so after a year I wanted heated veggies again so back to vegan.

I am extremely sensitive to carbs due to my insulin resistance, so eating rice and beans made losing weight impossible or extremely slow. For some reason I lose faster when I eat actual animal products instead of soy and tempeh. I tried vegetarian low carb before and it didn't work. I slowly added in animal products and I started to lose weight. I have no idea why though. My plan is to get to a more manageable weight then go back to vegetarian. I can take the slower weight loss by then. Plus eating meat costs me a fortune!!! I buy it organic, and from sources who humanely kill then animals, so it my grocery budget tripled.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:26 AM   #562
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vella_marie View Post
Tyl-- My preferred way of eating is vegetarian. Actually! I prefer raw, organic, vegan ( except legumes and rice) but as good as I felt, food choices where soooo limited, so after a year I wanted heated veggies again so back to vegan.
My parents had us vegetarian/vegan for long stretches of our childhood. I continued it when I was an adult. However, I stayed with a peri-menopausal friend a few years ago who was following some diet plan or other that involved her using soy protein and putting other protein powders in everything.

In retrospect, it was obvious that I was having a problem after my 2nd lot of this pure soy protein (I'd flushed up, but I didn't know what the problem was). However, after my 5th serving in 3 days (she'd put it into some soup), I flushed up, my eyes swelled, nose ran like a tap and airway started closing.

The moral of this story is that it's unwise to consume mono sources of protein (or, it was for me). My friend was having no more than 1 serving of soy protein a day and the others were all egg or whey or similar. It was just me that was having so much soy.

Anyway, the soy protein problem cross-reacted with other proteins and I started to react to other legumes and wheat whereas these had previously never been a problem. I'd always had IBS which could sometimes be very limiting (NB, learning about FODMAPs changed my life as far as IBS is concerned). So, eating as much vegetable as I did gave me horrendous stomach problems and I could no longer eat legumes/wheat or anything with even a trace of soy.

I started eating fish and shellfish. Now, I eat a mixed diet. The IBS problems have receded into distant memory for the most part.

Last edited by SlowSure; 01-27-2014 at 02:27 AM..
Old 01-27-2014, 05:29 AM   #563
I'm his Princess

Gallery: Dedicated
Stats: Goal is a Healthy Weight!
WOE: Clean Eating!
Start Date: Everyday!
Morning!!!!

Just wanted to stop in before my day gets hectic. Hope you're all well.
Dedicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #564
Senior LCF Member

Checking in...

Wow, can you believe we're now in WEEK 5 of our challenge???

I had a wonderful weekend, but it's nice to get back to my routine. It's so hard to eat out and find good low carb meals. I ordered a nice salad the other night with halibut, which was awesome, but then they included some mandarine oranges in the salad-- They just have to put something SWEET in EVERYTHING!!!

Let's step up our game, Girls! We're halfway there!!!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #565
Tyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstmitch View Post
Wow, can you believe we're now in WEEK 5 of our challenge???

I had a wonderful weekend, but it's nice to get back to my routine. It's so hard to eat out and find good low carb meals. I ordered a nice salad the other night with halibut, which was awesome, but then they included some mandarine oranges in the salad-- They just have to put something SWEET in EVERYTHING!!!

Let's step up our game, Girls! We're halfway there!!!
Crazy how time flies?!!! We are officially closer to the end than the beginning. I'd like to lose another 10 lbs... We shall see. Did two workouts today! Food was on point! Let's do it yAll!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #566
Senior LCF Member

I am soooooo sore!!! I did videos from Rockin Body. I did Shaun Ts Dance Party and Booty time. Well my butt feels fine its my calves!!!! OUCHIE!!!!

My shoes came in I am so excited. I love Vibrams so much. I have flat feet and I have broken them 3 times, plus the last time I broke my right foot it didn't heal right These are the only shoes I can wear without pain. Everyone is always skeptical until they try them. Now I have several converts.

Made it through another stressful day! I swear I was 5 seconds from hitting up my bar. I was fuming mad and was thinking dang I can use a shot of patron! BUT I didn't! I worked out instead, and since I was super stressed I did two workouts. Felt great after.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #567
Major LCF Poster!

Tyl & Vella, two workouts?!?!?! You girls ROCK!!!

Today was crazy busy and hectic but good....got in some walking and eating on plan.....let's end this thing STRONG!
Old 01-28-2014, 01:25 AM   #568
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday 26 Jan
WOE: ate on plan for a MD
Exercise: 1.5hr kayak session in swimming pool

Monday 27 Jan
Weight: DNW
Exercise: kayaking cancelled because group leader was ill (this session is doomed )

Tuesday 28 Jan
Weight: 122.0lbs
WOE: scheduled UD
Exercise: scheduled 1hr weight training
Old 01-28-2014, 07:40 AM   #569
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jayce
Stats: 255/214.8/212 MG# 1
WOE: Calorie Tracking & Exercise
POINT UPDATE-
WEEK 4
Jayce: 6/24

Well, ladies -- last week was admittedly lackluster. I'm struggling with severe winter "blahs," but I'm going to keep chuggin' along.

Exercised today before my work commute, so I'm glad to have started my day off on the right foot. I had binge moments yesterday (things I don't really care about either, like chocolate-covered mini-donuts & Bugles chips...neither one are things I particularly like). I felt the overwhelming need to keep jamming food in my face...it's strange when I have moments like this. Anyone else ever experience this???

I'm going to make a conscious effort to get in LOTS of H20 today -- shooting for half my body weight, so that's a little under 108 ozs. We'll call it 108 even.

Vella -- How do you like the Rockin' Body DVD's? I have Hip Hop Abs, but have used 1 of the workouts so far.

Tracy -- I totally concur: I definitely need to step up my game!!! Thanks for the motivation.

Congrats to all of you on your continued hard work & discipline! It helps to have a supportive, hardworking group such as yourselves...I'm in good company!

Make the commitment, invest the time, and do the work to make things matter.
Jayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #570
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kjsurgtech
Stats: 224/214/185 5'9"
WOE: healthier way of eating
Start Date: Sept. 2011, Dec. 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
POINT UPDATE-
WEEK 4
Jayce: 6/24

Well, ladies -- last week was admittedly lackluster. I'm struggling with severe winter "blahs," but I'm going to keep chuggin' along.

Exercised today before my work commute, so I'm glad to have started my day off on the right foot. I had binge moments yesterday (things I don't really care about either, like chocolate-covered mini-donuts & Bugles chips...neither one are things I particularly like). I felt the overwhelming need to keep jamming food in my face...it's strange when I have moments like this. Anyone else ever experience this???

I'm going to make a conscious effort to get in LOTS of H20 today -- shooting for half my body weight, so that's a little under 108 ozs. We'll call it 108 even.

Vella -- How do you like the Rockin' Body DVD's? I have Hip Hop Abs, but have used 1 of the workouts so far.

Tracy -- I totally concur: I definitely need to step up my game!!! Thanks for the motivation.

Congrats to all of you on your continued hard work & discipline! It helps to have a supportive, hardworking group such as yourselves...I'm in good company!
Jayce- We have all felt like that at some point, but keep continuing to cut the crap b/c it looks like you are really close to the goal you have set.

Kiki
kjsurgtech is offline   Reply With Quote