Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #421
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
Good evening!

Hi everyone,

My goodness what a crazy day today was....thank heavens Monday only happens once a week!

Today has been super great foodwise, but I did not have time for a walk.....10 hour day took it out of me! I'll get a good walk in tomorrow morning before I go to the office.

Danielle, that's a great attitude to have about the scales because if you don't find your peace outside of those silly things they WILL drive you crazy! I'm definitely from the school of "been there/done that!"

Elaine, I'm with you.....this is a very determined yet still supportive group, and I personally find whiners to be very de-motivating! I think the biggest "Crap" of all to cut is the bad attitudes.....a lot of people don't want to give that up....but OUR group does!

Gina, I live right off of Hwy 1 down near Long beach.....that's still a heck of a long way from the Bay area.....but very similar otherwise.....we love it here!!!

Tracy, Journey is my all time favorite.....I LOVED Steve Perry when I was in HS!!

I'm sure all you bay area girls are pulling for the 49ers....I'm a big Bronco's fan....could make for an interesting Super Bowl!

How's everyone else doing??

We're grilling a steak for dinner, so I'd better go check on it......talk to you all later!

Be the type of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap....she's up"!!

Made it to Onederland 7/1/14!!!
199 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145
ladyboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #422
Tyl
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
Thank goodness Mondays only happen once a week! That is totally what I needed to hear!

Today was absolutely miserable at work lol...so much work...so little time... I didn't eat lunch until almost 4 pm! glad that's over!!!

So proud of those numbers ladies!!!!!

Elaine- hubby and I went to our family right before the start of the challenge to rule out medical-- doc ran labs, full physical, etc and did find something medical with both of us that was likely impacting our weight loss-- It's been impossible for me to lose the past couple of years-and i'm finally losing again! thank goodness--hubby is having to supplement (wont put any details for his privacy sake) and won't likely begin to see substantial weight loss for 3 months... but he's already doing better... so its important to rule out the medical sometimes too!

Cut the Crap take 2: sw:276.4 cw: 259.6 Pts: 84!
For 8 weeks I made 84 positive choices!
CTC begins again on 3/2 join us!
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:15 AM   #423
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kjsurgtech
Stats: 224/214/185 5'9"
WOE: healthier way of eating
Start Date: Sept. 2011, Dec. 2013
Sorry guys I wasn't able to cut the crap last week due to working 6 days straight and some 12 hour days!!! But I started the work week with a workout before work and ate fairly decent all day.

Chantyl: 11/23
Danielle: 11/22
Tammy: 12/25
Gina: 10/23
Kim: 8/16
SlowSure: 10/20
Kiki: 4/12

Kiki
kjsurgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:42 AM   #424
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Hi all! It seems like we're a super busy bunch. Just checking in to say I've been on track this week so far with food, tonight will be my first work out of the week. Have a great day!!
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:47 AM   #425
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Elaine05
Stats: 210/178/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept 2011
So I got off my butt and did some research and I think I might know what my problem is. My mother died last Spring on Mother's Day. I had taken care of her for the last 12 years and she was 99 1/2. She'd been healthy except for the last few months. I totally expected her death, felt it was a good end to a great life and was ok with the natural rhythm of life. To top it off it was a good peaceful death. Imagine my surprise when I went kind of nuts! Weird depression that left me hyper, unable to sleep, clumsy and an emotional mess. All weird stuff for me. So I ended up on Lexapro. Great drug for the moment. However, after doing some snooping yesterday I find that 25% of users gain at least 10 pounds. Which is EXACTLY what I've done. Eating fairly well, exercising a lot and still slowly gaining weight and unable to lose it. Apparently it alters insulin/fat metabolism and I'm absolutely one of those people with insulin sensitivity. So now I'm weaning off of it. Turns out that is a slow going process too. However, it will be done and I'm feeling much better about my inability to get the scale to move any direction but up. Really with intense swimming, very carefully control ketonic diet and literally a negative calorie balance, gaining 3 pounds is incredibly upsetting!! This is not my first time to this rodeo an I know my body is not reacting normally. So I'm not expecting great weight losses anymore but I'm confident I will eventually get this weight off. In the meantime I'm hanging in there with my Challenge plans.
Elaine05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:12 AM   #426
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I'm sorry about your mom Elaine.

Good for you for finding out about the medication side effect. Ten pounds isn't great, but not too bad of a trade-off if it was ale to help you I think. Just think how much you might have gained if you weren't being so careful. Good luck with the tapering off of it.

Last edited by GME; 01-14-2014 at 06:14 AM..
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:06 AM   #427
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Elaine~ I'm so sorry to hear about your mom But WOW, 99 1/2!! I can only hope I get to see this world for that long! Yanno, about 10 years ago I was rx'd Lexapro and I gained about 15lbs with it...asked to be switched to something else, got put on Effexor and gained even more! When I set about to try to lose it, the weight would NOT budge, even when I got off of it! So discouraging for sure. I'm so proud of you for sticking with things. The weight WILL come off eventually, along with a big healthy dose of patience Hang in there!

Gina~ I'm just gonna move in with you now...screw this being responsible and waiting til the kids are done with college here! I want my Cali weather!!!!

Me~ working on getting my exercise and some housework done this afternoon.... I have most of the day alone so it will be good to be productive and out of the kitchen! Working on revamping menus this week too. Boredom is creeping in

Week 3: 228.4
Food: 2
Exercise: 1

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #428
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrstmitch
Stats: 252/220/150
WOE: Rosedale
Start Date: November 1, 2013
Hi, All!

Just checking in...
Kiki, glad things are slowing down for you this week.
Elaine, so sorry about your mom. It's funny how the death of a parent can effect us, even when we're expecting it. Hang in there!
Tyl, glad you got through the icky Monday! Onward and upward!

I'm doing better this week. Something really cool happened for me at work... my company has healthy challenges going on, and during the last one they had a drawing-- and I WON a FITBIT! It's amazing all the stuff you can do with those things! Hopefully, I will be consistent at using it.

HAVE A GREAT WEEK, GIRLS!

Quote:
Point update:

Chantyl: 11/23
Danielle: 11/22
Tammy: 12/25
Gina: 10/23
Kim: 8/16
SlowSure: 10/20
WeeWess: 8/18
Bobbin: 11/21
Tracy: 9/20
Lavella: 12
Elaine: 11
Jayce: 9
Cle:12
Kiki: 4/12

Cut the Crap (3) Challenge: week 2: 26 points total

This is me... not giving up!
mrstmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #429
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstmitch View Post
Just checking in...

I'm doing better this week. Something really cool happened for me at work... my company has healthy challenges going on, and during the last one they had a drawing-- and I WON a FITBIT! It's amazing all the stuff you can do with those things! Hopefully, I will be consistent at using it.

HAVE A GREAT WEEK, GIRLS!
I have a Jawbone Up bracelet (very similar to the FitBit Flex or Force) and it is a ton of fun. It tracks how many steps I take, how I sleep and I set it up to coordinate with other fitness apps I use. It is very motivating.

And, this morning a kindergardener told me it was pretty.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #430
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jayce
Stats: 255/214.8/212 MG# 1
WOE: Calorie Tracking & Exercise
That's awesome that you won a Fitbit! I have been eyeing one of those...that or the Jawbone Up. Hmmm...

Have a great rest of the day!
Jayce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #431
Blabbermouth!!!

Gina, have you noticed at all with your UP giving you inaccurate mileage for activities? I'm trying to figure out if this is the status quo for this thing or if it's mine acting up. I noticed that it shorts me by upwards of half a mile on my walks... kinda annoying.

Tracy~ that is awesome about your Fitbit! I'm so glad that you're off to a great start to your week!
Old 01-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #432
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
Gina, have you noticed at all with your UP giving you inaccurate mileage for activities? I'm trying to figure out if this is the status quo for this thing or if it's mine acting up. I noticed that it shorts me by upwards of half a mile on my walks... kinda annoying.

Tracy~ that is awesome about your Fitbit! I'm so glad that you're off to a great start to your week!
How do you see mileage? I've only noticed steps..... I just looked and found miles. I'll have to do a measured run or walk and check. I haven't updated it before and after something I measured yet. I just do it a time or two a day and it lumps my run in with walking around parking lots and work.

I did see that there is a way to calibrate it with your stride, but I haven't done that.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #433
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
How do you see mileage? I've only noticed steps..... I just looked and found miles. I'll have to do a measured run or walk and check. I haven't updated it before and after something I measured yet. I just do it a time or two a day and it lumps my run in with walking around parking lots and work.

I did see that there is a way to calibrate it with your stride, but I haven't done that.
LMK how it works for you. I've calibrated it already.. I just upload mine in the evening before bed..but I'd read somewhere (can't remember for the life of me where I saw it) where someone else was commenting being shorted on mileage for workouts.. so I set it for an activity and checked it after I was done.. clearly having done 2 miles but it recording only 1.4 miles..

Wondering if all of these gadgets are like this or if I need to look for something else....
Old 01-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #434
Major LCF Poster!

Hi everyone!

Tracy that's AWESOME about your fitbit!!! I have eyeing that and the Jawbone UP....I really want one....

Kiki, way to stay accountable! You're on the right track and I hope that this week is better for you!

Danielle, you can come over to my house and clean it next!

Elaine, I'm sorry to hear about your mom....but good for you to sort things out and come to an understanding about the heart of the issue....with your focus and dedication applied towards it now you will be unstoppable!!

Well, I did get my walk in this morning and my eating has been on plan...and it's NOT Monday any longer....so all in all a very good day!

Hope everyone else is doing well!!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #435
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure if it's me, because I just got this thing, but my FitBit logged my calories burned and steps this morning, but didn't register any "very active minutes" -- and I worked out with a Karen Voight video for an hour and 10 minutes! Hopefully, it's just me.

Tammy: So glad you're having a better day, and got your walk in!
Old 01-14-2014, 07:29 PM   #436
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Tammy - I will be cheering the Broncos on with you, you know it!

Elaine - I am sorry to hear about your mom. That is a very long life. I was also on Lexapro, back in 2012- part of 2013. It helped me a lot, I was thinking there would be a loss with it, but there never was...now I see why.

Boy...today was hard. I was sitting at my desk craving all kinds of horrific junk. I stopped short of an actual plan to get it, but wow. Saturday will be 3 weeks on track for me, I am just trying to remember the longer I go, the easier it gets. I actually find it easier to stick to my food plan when I'm busy at work, than when it's too quiet like it is now. I think I'll treat myself to lunch out tomorrow - maybe Chipolte. I hope everyone has a great night!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #437
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

I wasn't able to check if my Jawbone is measuring correctly, but I did get a great workout tonight. My training group met and it was "run here, butt kickers there, run again, high knee skips, run some more." It was fun though. Makes me wonder why I hated PE in high school.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:24 AM   #438
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Week 3

Sunday 12 Jan
Weight: DNW
WOE: ate on plan for a MD
Exercise: kayak session cancelled So, none.

Monday 13 Jan
Weight: 123.2lbs
WOE: ate on plan for DD
Exercise: kayaking cancelled because of weather

Tuesday 14 Jan
Weight: 123.6lbs
WOE: ate on plan for UD
Exercise: gym cancelled by trainer

Wednesday 15 Jan
Weight: 123.0lbs
WOE: scheduled DD so we'll see

Wow, this is going to be a wretched week for exercise for me because of all the cancellations. I've got more stuff to move this weekend and maybe a little redecoration but I have to find an indoor activity for when this happens.
July 2014 Life, eh! In March I had a DXA scan which revealed very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional and normal service may resume at some point
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:33 AM   #439
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Elaine05
Stats: 210/178/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept 2011
Danielle: Thanks for sharing that. It kind of validates what I think is happening. I'd never really read the side effects of this drug--you kind of don't when you are going nuts and grasping for a lifeline--but I think I've experienced several from dizziness to ridiculously huge bruising. Time to get off them (which, of course, turns out to be tricky too.) Anyway, I've put the scale away and am now working 100% towards health. I just flat out feel better without carbs in my diet and the exercise makes everything (as in every joint) go smoother.

Thank you all for your kind words regarding my mother. My mother had a wonderful long life. She grew up on a homestead in Canada with no electricity, running water etc. For her 90th birthday my son built a computer for her and she learned to use it. They called her the Ebay Queen and she was always giving us "14K white gold" jewelry that she'd gotten for one cent directly from China! She was also the "go to" person in her senior complex to have what ever medical condition you wanted researched. We should all hope for a life like hers. But the last few months there was health problems and she told me many times "it was never my goal to live to be 100." So I was really ok with her death, it was time and she was ready for it. I think that is why flipping out surprised me so much. I think now that it was the sudden release of all the pressure I'd been under nursing her. It had no place to go but back into me. Just short term weirdness is what I'm hoping.
When you all decide which monitor is the best, let me know

Last edited by Elaine05; 01-15-2014 at 05:43 AM..
Elaine05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:17 AM   #440
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Week 3

Sunday 12 Jan

Monday 13 Jan

Tuesday 14 Jan

Wednesday 15 Jan
WOE: scheduled DD so we'll see

Wow, this is going to be a wretched week for exercise for me because of all the cancellations. I've got more stuff to move this weekend and maybe a little redecoration but I have to find an indoor activity for when this happens.
Is there somewhere indoors you can swim? Swimming is an important skill to a kayaker.

How about a rowing machine? Either at home or a gym. My dad use to use one when I was a kid and I remember him getting very sweaty.

Or planks. Core strength is important to paddling.

Last edited by GME; 01-15-2014 at 06:19 AM..
Old 01-15-2014, 06:19 AM   #441
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jayce
Stats: 255/214.8/212 MG# 1
WOE: Calorie Tracking & Exercise
Good morning, y'all -- hope your Wednesday is off to a great start.
Jayce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:32 AM   #442
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Is there somewhere indoors you can swim? Swimming is an important skill to a kayaker.

How about a rowing machine? Either at home or a gym. My dad use to use one when I was a kid and I remember him getting very sweaty.

Or planks. Core strength is important to paddling.
Gym memberships are very expensive in my area - and most of the time I'd get no value out of them because I kayak.

So, even in my local Sports Centre, it's £11 or approx $17 for a swim that may only be 45mins long (and that's from purchasing your ticket to being told that your time is up). Use of the gym is approx. £20 ($30) per session (off-peak, I forget what the peak price is).

Once we're fully moved in, I'll see if the Sports Centres in my new local area are more affordable and offer a viable option as I definitely need something. (Tho' as it's dark and no one will see me, I'm seriously considering buying a skipping rope and finding a secluded spot where no one will be disturbed...)

Last edited by SlowSure; 01-15-2014 at 06:35 AM..
Old 01-15-2014, 06:37 AM   #443
Blabbermouth!!!

Morning ladies!

Bobbin~ Enjoy your Chipotle. I could eat there every single-cotton-pickin-day! Way to reign in those cravings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine05 View Post
Danielle: Thanks for sharing that. It kind of validates what I think is happening. I'd never really read the side effects of this drug--you kind of don't when you are going nuts and grasping for a lifeline--but I think I've experienced several from dizziness to ridiculously huge bruising. Time to get off them (which, of course, turns out to be tricky too.) Anyway, I've put the scale away and am now working 100% towards health. I just flat out feel better without carbs in my diet and the exercise makes everything (as in every joint) go smoother.

Thank you all for your kind words regarding my mother. My mother had a wonderful long life. She grew up on a homestead in Canada with no electricity, running water etc. For her 90th birthday my son built a computer for her and she learned to use it. They called her the Ebay Queen and she was always giving us "14K white gold" jewelry that she'd gotten for one cent directly from China! She was also the "go to" person in her senior complex to have what ever medical condition you wanted researched. We should all hope for a life like hers. But the last few months there was health problems and she told me many times "it was never my goal to live to be 100." So I was really ok with her death, it was time and she was ready for it. I think that is why flipping out surprised me so much. I think now that it was the sudden release of all the pressure I'd been under nursing her. It had no place to go but back into me. Just short term weirdness is what I'm hoping.
When you all decide which monitor is the best, let me know
It was interesting that you posted this when you did because DH and I had been talking about how "weird" (for lack of a better term) my weight loss, or lack thereof, has been over the last 10 years... Talked about idea of perimenopause, my tubes being tied, and funnily enough, both of us totally FORGOT about the 2 years I spent on medication! And if I'm thinking correctly this is about the time where lots of things started going wrong for me medically... and my inability to lose weight has been since this foray into the prescription drug world..

Your mom sounded like she had an amazing life No one could blame you for feeling the way you did after she passed...I mean, you were her caretaker and then to suddenly not have that anymore.... yeah, I think I'd have been feeling a lot like you. Hang in there, friend!
-----------------------------

Great food day. 1 gallon of water in. 2miles walked + weights for 20 min.
The scale repaid me with a +1. It's a good thing I don't really count it!

Rest day today. Concentrating on water and clean eating.

Tammy~ no I can't come do your house because I have YET to do mine!

Have a great day!!

Week 3: 228.4
Food: 3
Exercise: 2
Old 01-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #444
Tyl

Well someone at work was found to b playing online more than workinh so yhey are taking screen captures of our laptops so im gonna have to check in at night since my phone doesnt work as geeat for this type of format. Miss u guys will give a complete check in tonight
Old 01-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #445
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kjsurgtech
Stats: 224/214/185 5'9"
WOE: healthier way of eating
Start Date: Sept. 2011, Dec. 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyl View Post
Well someone at work was found to b playing online more than workinh so yhey are taking screen captures of our laptops so im gonna have to check in at night since my phone doesnt work as geeat for this type of format. Miss u guys will give a complete check in tonight
Funny how they crack down on everyone when they should penalize the one who was caught doing whatever they were doing. Its like that everywhere I guess.
kjsurgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #446
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Bobbin~ Enjoy your Chipotle. I could eat there every single-cotton-pickin-day! Way to reign in those cravings!
Me too! I LOVE Chipotle~

I've been right on plan this week! Last night, I made some LC crackers with a recipe I got from this site. They are really good! Note to self: stay away from the crackers... do not overeat the crackers...
Old 01-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #447
Major LCF Poster!

Good evening!!

How's everyone doing today??

Tyl, that's a shame about the restriction at work.....I get it because I've had to fire people for outright viewing Porn on their computer at work....but still like Kiki said, it's a shame that EVERYONE gets punished for what one person does.

Tracy, those crackers sound good! I have found that I REALLY have to watch my low card bread / cracker "substitutes" because it's just to easy for me to over do it....so for now I just avoid them!!

I was unable to get my exercise in today, spent time at the dentist office instead.....that should count for calorie burning right there don't ya think??? At any rate, I have a broken tooth that will require oral surgery in the near future.....so that will help limit my diet! I likely won't get any exercise in tomorrow either, I have to leave super early for a Managers meeting out near Riverside....and it's an all day affair!! Hopefully they bring in a good option for a low card lunch....they normally do not, but fortunately my boss is also doing Low Carb right now, so I have hope that we'll have better options!

The good news is that I'm down 3 more pounds....that's a total of 10 pounds since Jan. 1!!!

How's everyone else doing??
Old 01-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #448
Tyl

I've missed you guys!!!! Doing well over here! Rest day today eating well...I'm working on portions.. I went to lunch today with my small serving and almost laughed out loud. But I ate it, drank my water and went about my day. It was enough. I'm so used to eating till full, sometimes stuffed. But I was just fine when I was doing eating. Anyway, that's where I'm at!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:28 AM   #449
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
My daughter and grandson are visiting, so it's hard for me to eat on plan...we have visited a couple of her favorite local spots to eat and I've been showing her how to make stuff that she liked growing up(lasagna, chicken casserole...)but we got some sledding in, so I'm counting that as a workout ~ pulling a 3 year old up a hill on a sled is hard work
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:30 AM   #450
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Week 3

Sunday 12 Jan

Monday 13 Jan

Tuesday 14 Jan

Wednesday 15 Jan
WOE: ate on schedule for DD
Exercise: none

Thursday 16 Jan
Weight: 122.6lbs
WOE: UD today
Exercise: should be 1hr kayaking practice

I've got an ear infection and my balance is off. Nonetheless, unless I'm crawling on my hands and knees, I'm going to tonight's kayak practice session in the swimming pool - I haven't been in a boat since Saturday and I can't wait any longer.

More moving this weekend - more boxes to pack and unpack.

Good Luck to those are are CTC