Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Dakini
Adi, sometimes when you describe your day, I can't imagine how you worked full time as well. You must love what you do.

I had an acupuncture session today that left me completely wiped out. I had planned on going shopping afterwards, but I was so looped I felt like I should just try to make it home. She did something called cupping, now my back looks like a giant hicky.
Dakini is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #92
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Dak - That is why I have decided to cut back on craft shows. I have reached my limit. LOL
Is cupping using needles or kind of like beating you to death with cupped hands. That used to be called back clapping for cystic fibrosis patients to help them break up the gunk in their lungs.
Got all set up at my indoor weekend craft show this afternoon, fed the babies and all of the goats. Just have to milk. Enjoying a cup of hot broth first. It is raining now and 30 degrees but supposed to be a high of 65 tomorrow and 70 on Sunday.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: krittermom
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 9th, 2012
I'm finally back online! We got slammed with an ice storm on Tuesday night. It came on top of the very heavy snow we had last weekend and brought down so many trees and wires. Looks like we're going to lose a few of our arborvite

We lost cable, phone and power on Wednesday. My office building also lost power and was closed from Wed afternoon until this morning. We got our power back in the house yesterday around 6 pm but didn't get cable and internet back until some time today.

Dak, did you have the accupuncture for a specific reason or was it for general relaxation and healing? I had it done once last year and it was okay but I didn't like that fact that her assistant was a young guy and he spent most of the time with me. I just didn't feel comfortable with him the way I would have with a woman. Plus I didn't like her either.

Adi, so cute DS is trying to cook. Is that the end of the babies?
krittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cupping is usually done with round glass cups that are heated, then applied to the skin. Skin is sucked by the vacuum effect, and according to Chinese Acupuncture theory, stagnant blood and chi is moved to the surface and new better circulation results. Yesterday, the lady that worked with me used an electric model, so she was able to glide on the skin. Between that and the needles, I was in a fog the rest of the day. Hope that means I'm getting better now.

I'm trying acupuncture to help with my neck. I can't seem to find a decent massage therapist, chiropractors just seem to see me as dollar signs, so since my new insurance now covers acupuncture, thought I would give it a try.

Kritter, it's hard to find a good therapist. I'm really not even sure about this lady, but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. I liked that she asked me if I was cold and offered to turn on the heater, but her heater was ancient and started to smell like burning god knows what the moment she turned it on. I asked her if it was new (of course I could tell that it wasn't) and made her aware that I saw it as a problem. It did stop smelling after a couple of minutes (there was a time I would not have said anything). Then the headrest cover didn't fit the headrest, so my eyes, they were being smashed because the fitted cover for the headrest was too small. I asked her if she had a pillowcase, which she did, so I was able to be comfortable. I thought her treatment was very thorough though, and she spent a great deal of time with me. That's always nice not being rushed out of the office. I guess I'll see. She did take out all the needles she put in, the last acupuncturist I saw would always forget one or two. Nothing is creepier than finding you've been walking around with a needle stuck on the top of your head.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:32 AM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning! I know this is probably going to sound like something you've all heard before, but it's time for me to get serious again with my weight. Yesterday went well, so I have momentum on my side.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dak, I'm right there with you. Not only my weight, but I keep getting itchy rashes and I know it's what I'm eating. I break down and eat bread every time we go out to eat.

I'm going to try making salmon puttanesca today. And I have tons of laundry and cleaning up to do. Now that the floors are done in the living room, we have to move a lot of stuff back.

That's disturbing that the accupuncturist would leave needles in.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I thought so too! Didn't go back to her.

I'm finding bread to be the cause of my joint pain, I really shouldn't eat it at all. It's just such an easy thing to fix in the morning.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dak, isn't that the truth. In the morning, it's difficult to find anything that's not made of grains or sugar or dairy. I made a lot of salmon puttanesca so I'll try to have that for breakfast tomorrow and then a salad for lunch.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #99
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi all. Back from my two day craft show where no one came. Boring and sitting for two days, I now have swollen feet and ankles. Hurts to walk. Back to my ketogenic diet experiment as it was hard to get enough fat when not at home. I am really loving chicken broth with 1 t of Kerrygold butter melted in it. A great evening drink.

Kritter - I have two goats in the expecting pen for February and then 10 due in March. By then the boys will be gone to the sale and I can start over with new babies.

Dak - Cupping sounds interesting although I have an adversion to needles so have never considered acupuncture.

COld again here. Was up to 70 yesterday and back to 40 for a high today.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My sweet Cooper was just snoring. I think that's the first time he's been relaxed enough to sleep soundly enough to snore lol. Such a lovely sound

We're expecting a noreaster tomorrow night Will probably mean more power outages. On the plus side, I'll get to work from home on Thursday - assuming we have power.

Adi, chicken broth with butter sounds yummy. Good way to add fat without protein. Sorry the craft show was a bust.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #101
Big Yapper!!!!

Had to get up early and take Darlene, my barn kitty to the spay clinic. She won't be ready until 3:30 so I went grocery shopping and checked the craft mall and then came to work. Our heat is off and all I have is a little electric heater for my feet and my big coat but I will manage. I am working hard on my 10 pound gain but it is sure slow going. Why is it so hard to lose it the second time?

My stomach actually hurts today so I am thinking the MCT oil is not agreeing with me again. Store here did not have the Kerrygold butter either. Darn. Had a HB egg for lunch so hope that helps.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We got about a foot of snow today and we're expecting up to 4 more inches overnight. Fortunately the power is still on.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I can't believe how you all are getting hit with snow after snow, Kritter. Glad you still have power. Do you have a wood stove too? Great image of Cooper snoring. Sounds like he's found *home*.

Adi, I'm taking a break from the MCT oil too, I'm using coconut oil instead. It just feels too heavy for me, plus, I'm liking the coconut flavoring in my coffee. At first I thought it was the butter, but, as much as I can take cream in my coffee, it's definitely not the dairy.

Finally a Friday! The soil tests I did came back inconclusive, so my soil guy suggested adding another test in the mix. I'm slowly lowering the pH, (last year it was 8.1, this year it tested at 7.6. (lower in this case is better) Now I'm sourcing the amendments that will raise it's ability to hold and release nutrients. I'm going to have the best ever berries and tomatoes! I wish I had taken "before" pictures of my berries, the growth they had over last summer was really phenomenal.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #104
Big Yapper!!!!

kritter - a foot of snow is hard for us in my area to even imagine. Stay safe and warm.
Dak - DH is renting a Bobcat next week to clean out the buildup in my feeding building and it will go into the garden. I am sure I will have lots of greens in that area of the garden.

DH is still working on the fence. They are hanging gates today and one of them had a bracket missing out of the box. Figures.

I am treading water as far as weight loss this week. Staying the same but at least not gaining. Seems like I can do MCT oil (only 1 t) a day for awhile and then I have to quit. Can't take the stomach aches every morning anymore. And coconut oil makes me feel like I am going to throw up any minute. Butter does not do that but I am just having cream in my coffee for awhile.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's been crazy. Over night we had more snow and ice. This morning, we have a 50-100 car pileup on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. It happened very close to where I live. People were stuck on it for hours. Thankfully there were no deaths.

Tonight and tomorrow we're getting more.

I've been exercising and using my total gym. It makes me feel strong and less achy and I can feel my clothes are looser across my back. I sure do love that feeling.

Dak, are the soil tests expensive? Such a shame to have the test come back inconclusive.

Adi, how's Darlene? Is she good about letting you get her into the cat carrier?
Old 02-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #106
Big Yapper!!!!

kritter - Ha Darlene is still wild. I had to grab her and stuff her in the crate kicking and screaming. She is back in the barn though and acts like I am not the devil reincarnated anymore. She still spends the afternoons sleeping with a special goat in the goat pen.

I gained 5 pounds overnight. Gotta love being a human sponge. It is pleasant outside today. We had dirt delivered to do the forms for my concrete slab for my new milk room. Sure doesn't look like a lot for $250. Guess we can always get more.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning!

I had another acupuncture session on Friday, and it totally wiped me out on Saturday. Completely lost day. Yesterday was a bit better, and today I feel really good. Powerful stuff. Since I couldn't eat anything Saturday, I'm starting the week with the scale a few pounds down. Now if I can just keep it up.

Rethinking paleo, seems like the diet I feel really good on is more vegetable based. So maybe a plant based diet with occasional meat, so I don't need to take B12.

Adi, I know what you mean about getting soil delivered. I ordered 6 yards of wood chips, it didn't look like all that much, but as I use it, the pile isn't going down as fast as I think it might. So far it's been doing the job, haven't seen any weeds coming up.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Adi, found this youtube of goats playing, I had no idea they were so playful.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Weight loss is going well. It's funny, I seem to always say, I just need to lose 5 pounds. Then I lose those 5 pounds and think, well, it was really nice when I was even 10 pounds less than this. And so it goes. LOL

I had crept up to 171 (yikes!) the 170's are panic time. Now I'm 166, thinking 155 was pretty nice. Happy I'm building up momentum again.

How is everyone?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #110
Big Yapper!!!!

I had a bad week food wise but today is a DD and I think it will be fine. I just needed a break or son telling us he is going to be deployed in July might have done it. Now I have the same ten pounds to lose again and something to worry about for the next year.

Did my monthly milk test yesterday and mailed my milk samples this morning. I am going to work for another year as this is easy since I already know what I am doing. AND the additional income is nice too.

Dak - Creeping up is the shock we need sometimes to get back on track. I know it works for me.

I planted spinach yesterday in my old water trough. Hope it sprouts nicely. I watered the seeds in so here's hoping. My collards and chard are still growing nicely. DH cleaned with barn where we feed the milkers with a Bobcat and spread it all on the big garden. Should help grow some big squash and watermelons. Need to order my seeds soon.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Adi, did you plant the spinach outdoors? Is there still a chance of frost?

I can't believe it's going to be March this week! I'm so excited for spring to get here. We had a warm-up this weekend which was great and a lot of the snow is melting but now any grass that doesn't have snow on it is a soggy, muddy mess. I took the dogs for a walk today at a college campus near us and they were covered in dirt and mud. But they loved it

I bought some low-carb bread from Netrition last week and have been enjoying it. It's a strange texture but it's nice to have something to eat tuna salad or scrambled tofu on.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:54 PM   #112
Big Yapper!!!!

Kritter _ I planted the spinach in the shade cloth house so it won't freeze. And I checked today and they have sprouted. Yea. We had collards from the garden today for lunch. Finally learned to cook them. They must be cooked in fat to be tender. So I cooked them in a stick of butter. Delicious.

Doggies love to get dirty and play. Except for Sami. She doesn't dig or do anything doggie. When she goes outside she lays on the patio sunning herself. Good girl. We had to go meet son last night and take him a package he had accidently had delivered to our address. We took Sami and after he played with her in the back seat, she whimpered all the way home. Poor doggie misses her bro.

I ordered my non GMO seeds and they have shipped. My latest goats born were triplet girls. I now have ten little girls. And I might have more tonight or tomorrow. One of my older does did not eat tonight and stayed in the barn in the corner. I need to go check on her before I go to bed. Another week and I go to my first show for the season, the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. DH is going to take me and drop me off with the goats on Tuesday and then come back and get me on Thursday. easier than having to go drop a trailer and then go back and hook back up by myself.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy Sunday everyone,

I've never tried cooking collards in butter, I bet they were good. This is a new way I've learned to use collards, though I think roasted tomatoes work better than cherry tomatoes for flavoring.

We're getting more rain, I spent yesterday pulling weeds in the rain around my berries, I hope to be able to amend the soil today. I was all dressed up like I'm in the arctic, water proof shoes, pants, rain coat with the hood up, the works, right? And the adolescent boys next door were in t-shirts, sliding around in the mud. There were such a combination of glee (as they were sliding around) and misery as they pretended not to be miserable all wet and mud caked, LOL.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #114
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - that recipe looks good. Kind of like the good old ground meat, cabbage, tomato standard on LC. I have found collard greens to be kind of addictive. They are similar to kale nutrition wise and I don't like kale so collards it is.

It was 72 this morning and the cold spell hit and it dropped to 40 instantly and is now 28 and still going down. The wind is blowing so bad all of the locks and latches outside are frozen. DH could not open the door to his little farm truck as it was frozen shut to go feed the calves. I had to go turn on the electric heaters in the soap trailer and almost didn't get back to the house as the gate latch was frozen. Got everything fed and milked and I have three babies in the kitchen. One born today and two only a couple of days old. I was afraid to leave them in their doghouse as they are small. All tucked into their boxes and plastic tubs for the night.
Bet the boys next door were having fun. I am all bundled up and I see people with t-shirts on. Makes no sense.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Adi, what a crazy weather. I hope all of the babies are staying warm. How do you go out and feed everyone in that cold? I swear I'd be throwing their food out the kitchen window so I wouldn't have to leave the house

Dak, it's great that you guys are getting rain. I admire your dedication to go out and garden in the cold rain, lol.

I am such a weenie

Counting down to SPRING! OMG I can't wait. My skin has been so dry this year and I just starting using a tube of Cetaphil that I had in my drawer. It's the DailyAdvance Ultra Hydrating lotion for Dry, Sensitive skin. I use it on my face and body. It's the only thing I've used on my face that keeps it moisturized all day long. Usually by lunchtime my face is flaking and peeling but with this my face feels moist and dewy all day, but not greasy. Love, love, love it. Oh and it healed my poor cuticles too.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kritter, is your skin dried out from soap? Adi's goat milk soaps are so nice for dry skin. This time of year I'm usually so dry I get ashy, but I'm not this year . If you haven't tried it yet, it really makes a difference. I have 3 people hooked here, LOL

It was so nice getting rain, but I went a bit overboard pulling weeds, I was very stiff this morning. But after teaching 3 classes today, I feel great (funny, I taught 3 different low back routines).
Old 03-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Maybe I will try some goat's milk soap. I picked up some a few months ago when I was at a farmer's market. If it works I can get a refill from Adi.

I think my skin is so dry from this weather being so cold. Even my eyes are dry and I can't wear my contacts for more than a few days in a row, then I need to take a break for a few days. Which is why I've been contemplating Lasiks for the first time in my life I'm terrified of the surgery but even more terrified of having to go back to wearing glasses every day.

I've never experienced a winter like this. Usually when we get these kinds of cold temperatures, it doesn't last for more than a week or two.

Tonight it's going down to 3 Cooper scratched his head so much tonight that he was bleeding. Benadryl does seem to help and tonight I started him fish oil. I'm not sure what else to do for him. If he tolerates the fish oil capsules, then maybe in a few days I'll add some canned salmon or fish oil to his dog food?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I read the sentence , "tonight it's going down to 3" twice. 3 degrees, that's crazy! You all are really getting hit with the storms. Is there adequate infrastructure in place to deal with all the water once things start to melt?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dak, that's been a real worry and last week there was flooding in some places when we had a bit of a warm up. Fortunately it was a short warm up so everything didn't all melt at once.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!