Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Dakini
Hi Guys,

Not much new to report. Home sick today, fighting off some weird virus. A lot of people sick around me.

How's your new calf Adi?

Weight is not coming off. Thinking of going back to Dr. Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live. When I think of a diet that left me feeling really healthy, it was when I was doing only raw foods. But I know that's too much work for me to commit to that, but Eat to Live does encourage at least 1/2 raw vegetables.
Dakini is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Dak - Blind baby is doing great and DH bought her a buddy that we named Buddy. He is the sweetest thing and took his bottle first time as he was very hungry. Both of them stay in the calf hutch together at night and lay out in the sun during the day. They do so well on goat milk. DH is cleaning out the fence line bordering the oilfield road and is going to build a new fence. He got all of the trash trees pulled out by the roots and trimmed the two cedar trees up about 6 feet. Looks good and he hauled all of the trees down to the burn pile. Will start digging pos holes with the tractor while it is still wet and soft we hope.
Full moon and that affects births. Had a little doe kid 10 days early while I was at work. Single baby and of course it was dead when I found it. Tiny thing but mama is still crying but is getting better about getting on the milk stand. Thank goodness as I was getting tired of dragging her up the ramp. First one that was supposed to kid isn't due until the 23rd. I am watching them closely as they are in a separate pen that I can see from the kitchen window with my binoculars. I am ready.
Had a decent UD today so maybe I am getting back on track. Has taken a month.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm glad to hear both your babies are doing well. Lucky calves, getting fresh goat milk!

Down about a 1 1/2 today, finally. My back has been feeling the extra weight and has been achy.

Going to start building a Hugelkultur bed today, I've been hoping for rain to soften the soil, but I think I'm just going to have to water it first, then dig. I need to dig a trench, lay some wood & debris on top, then pile the soil back with a frame, suppose to cut down on the watering needs, as the wood rots.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morning!

Taking Friday off was really good, (as I happened to have Thursday off as well). The 2 weeks I took off at Christmas was nice, but not having a holiday and holiday events to deal with made a big difference in how I've been able to rest and recuperate. I feel totally ready to go back to work tomorrow.

Weight is going down too. Now just 3 pounds to go before I'm back at my pre-Christmas weight.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: krittermom
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 9th, 2012
Dak, I hear you about having off and just having time to yourself. Glad you got to relax and rest.

Adi, what will become of the blind cow and Buddy? Will she be able to integrate with the rest of the heard? Do you think they'll become a pets?

I have off tomorrow for MLK day. No real plans other than to spend time with the pups and do some kind of exercise. Might clean out some drawers and closets and take things to Goodwill.

I went to book club last night and had such a great time but ate so much junk. It was so good though.

I keep toying with whether or not I want to go back to school for a Masters but then I think if I plan on staying with this company until I retire, I'm not sure if would really be useful. But if I had to leave this company and look for another job, it would definitely help in the search. What to do, what to do. A few people I work with are going for an online masters through Boston U. I'm going to talk to them next week to find out if all of their classes stress group work and group projects. If they don't, I am going to consider it.
krittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #36
Big Yapper!!!!

Kritter - I would go for the Masters. It can't hurt you and you never know when it can help.
We got Buddy so the blind girl would have another calf her size to follow around when we turn them out in the bigger lot. Her right eye is no longer cloudy or blue but dark like a normal eye. the left is still blue. BUT I think she can see shadows out of her right eye. I was talking to her yesterday and moved and my shadow fell on her and she jumped. She knew I was there because I was talking to her. If she can see even that much it will help her. I know someone that raised a blind calf and she had a calf every year and raised it so anything is possible.
I cannot seem to get myself under control in the eating arena. Have to come up with a plan. JUDDD is fine but I think I need to add more structure for my UD's. WIll have to figure something out.
Going to meet someone tomorrow to pick up a buck I leased so will be up early and making a 6 hour round trip but I need the buck back as I have two does that turned out not to be bred.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #37
Big Yapper!!!!

Forgot to say that DS has rented his two spare bedrooms already. One moves in this weekend and the other one is coming from Fort Benning in GA in a week or so. Little Mr. Landlord. He said he was going to do that but boy is he fast. And they have to provide their own bedroom furniture.
I am also thinking about starting to scale back my soap business and maybe in another year phase it out or sell it. I have been enjoying this month doing nothing but goats and working 2 days a week. My salary combined with my retirement check is a lot higher than my income was last year and I can probably easily do the part time job for another 3 to 5 years which will give me the time and the extra money to enjoy showing my goats.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That was fast,Adi! Something tells me he thoroughly vetted them too.

Surprised you're thinking of phasing out your soap business, but it does seem very labor intensive. Much better idea to do your goats and just work 2 days a week. No pressure is always good! Though I better get my soap order in before it's all gone. Yikes!

Kritter, that sounds like a lot to take on. Would you be able to cut back your hours at work? The year I did my yoga certification really stressed me, but I am glad I did it. In retrospect, I would have been happier in a different program. My instructor was a bit of an *******. I went with him though because it was closer.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dak, if anything my hours at work will probably increase, but I haven't been working crazy hours for the last year or so. I've been thinking I might even be able to get some homework done at work during lunch hours. But yeah it will still be stressful. When I got my bachelor's degree I worked and went to school at night and I remember I my face was always broken out with painful cystic acne. I know it was caused by the stress. But, I also took 2 - 3 classes at a time and I wouldn't do that again. 1 class at a time. I think the degree is only 10 classes so if I take 1 each semester I'll be done in under 3 years.

Adi, that's fantastic that your income now is so good and you only have to work 2 days a week. Your soap business sounds so hard, between milking and making the products and then lugging everything to the places to sell them. This is the time for you to do what you enjoy.

I better get moving. Still haven't showered but I did get the decorations packed away. Glad that's done. I want to get the dogs out for a good walk because for the rest of the week it looks like temps aren't getting out of the 20s. Oye!
Old 01-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #40
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - at least he works with one of them and they are both Army officers so maybe that helps. Hope one of them can cook and the other can do laundry as DS is shopping for his washer and dryer.
kritter - I guess I am getting a little burned out. I hve to continue this year though to use up my supplies. Thought about cutting back to just indoor shows and the craft mall and then just the craft mall the next year. Still gives me a creative outlet.
I have babies due this week so that is exciting. I am ready with all the supplies I need.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

adi how far away is the craft mall? That sounds like it would be a good compromise because you don't have to be there right? You just stock it and go? And with DH not working, he can help you do the stocking.

That's great that DS found renters who are officers. Should be pretty trustworthy.

We're expecting snow tomorrow. Wah!
Old 01-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #42
Big Yapper!!!!

kritter - the craft mall is about 30 mils from here but only about 15 from where I work so I can easily run over from school. I will phase out all of the outdoor shows for sure first. LOL Just tired of dealing with weather. It rained at two that were usually very good shows this year so not much business plus the website does a slow but steady business. I can keep up with the mall, the website and maybe my 4 indoor shows that do really well. I am feeling relaxed already. LOL
I can't wait for my new babies but it is supposed to get cold and rainy in a couple of days so I know that is when they will have them. I am going to run an extension cord out to the horse trailer since it is bedded with shavings already and I can close the windows on it since we don't have my new kidding barn yet as we are still fooling around re-financing. But that will work for now.
DH slept for 3 hours and is feeling better now. Not sure what that was about. He ate at the sale barn but he said he didn't feel good before that. Let's hope it was just getting chilled this morning since it was misting and real foggy.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yay! You're just phasing out the shows! That should make a huge difference. I remember when DH did all his art shows, such a lot of work, getting inventory together, packing it all up, setting up the booth, long show hours, (always a late collectors auction on Friday night, then long Saturday, Sunday then pack it all up again. I always envied the artists that had staff. And you're not stopping entirely. You know I'm a loyal fan.

Kritter, 10 classes does sound do-able. What would your masters be in?

Lost a pound yesterday, 2 more to go. (Sad that those pounds still do make a difference in my clothes).
Old 01-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #44
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - Not entirely. Just cutting way back as I am spending moe and more time with the goats and I am actually stating to enjoy working two days a week. it is 10:30 and I have finished all of my paperwork and am about ready to un the P.O.'s down to the central office. I hate to file so I walk in and start on that first so I can get it out of the way since I am the records clerk, secretary and director all rolled into one this year. Makes the day go fast though.
I dropped 4 pounds of wate weight overnight and if I would lose the rest I will be happy. My ankles are still puffy. I am going to go back to lower fat as I am nt doing well at all on high fat UD's. I remember I lost well on low fat low carb but I am having oat groats o oat bran for breakfast and that is not low carb but it is satisfying so that is what counts and low calorie too.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

In the middle of a snow storm here. I went into work but everyone started leaving at around 11. I left at 12. I only have a 2 mile commute but boy was it miserable. I was sliding around all over the place. One guy I work with has a 40 mile commute so it will probably take him 4 or 5 hours to get home. I feel kind of bad for him but he really is an idiot for even coming in, but he has a martyr complex.

Dak, the degree is an MS in Computer Information Systems with a concentration in either "Database Management and Business Intelligence" or "Health Informatics". The first would be easier for me and more applicable to my job, but the latter would be so much more interesting, but not really as valuable unless I went to work for a hospital or some kind of company serving health care providers.

Adi that's so funny that you're already feeling relaxed . That's the thing with the outdoor shows. All of that work lugging and setting up and if you have any kind of bad weather, no one even shows.

So we're going to be getting the other half of the attic done in the next few months and that will be my exercise room. I really need one because it's impossible for me to do it in the living room with the dogs. Jersey wants to exercise with me(very helpful) and Cooper gets spooked by it. And DH has planted himself in the family room. So this way, I'll be able to go up to the attic and workout in peace. I have a feeling Jersey will sit at the bottom of the steps and bark.

Once the room is ready, I plan on getting a Pilates wall tower. I loved using it in the class I took.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #46
Big Yapper!!!!

kriiter - how cool. a workout room. When DS was in Jr High we used the empty downstairs bedroom as an exercise room. Had all of our weight stuff in there. I miss that. You will love having a dedicated space.

Killer migraine today as we are expecting bad weather tomorrow. Pressure changes are killing me. I worked yesterday so no need to go today as I won't have anything to do. Going to wait until Friday so I will be busy.

Babies due tomorrow but she really doesn't look like it will be happening. but you never know. DH has gone to buy feed and fencing materials and I gave him a shopping list for Sam's. We are out of cheese. LOL
Old 01-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kritter, a workout room sounds sooo cool. For the first time in my married life I have my own room that is my yoga room. I really love it, it's my mini yoga studio. Pilates equipment is the best, are you putting in a reformer?

Sounds like either degree would look good on a resume, I admire your initiative.

Adi, did you get my soap order? Hope the births go easy, first time goat moms?

I signed up for health care a couple of weeks ago. Blue Shield has not sent me any information. I found a way to make my first payment online, so they have my money at least. Wanting to know what doctors are in my network so I can make an appointment. Sigh, they knew all this was coming, you think they would have prepared better. I waited an hour and a half on hold to get help filling out their stupid income forms, they are not friendly to people that are self employed.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - the insurance thing is not user friendly for anyone. We had teacher retirement insurance then when we qualified for Medicare we had to get the supplement insurance through TRS. We have a tote bag full of all the information we get to fill out and return not once but several times. DH even got a letter saying he was going to be penalized since he did not have prescription coverage for 6 months. He HAD never been without any coverage as he was still teaching. And he has received 3 Medicare cards. They bill him for 3 months at a time for Medicare premiums and they billed me for 6 months. We both got a big old envelope in the mail yesterday dealing with insurance and they were on different topics. HDH got a big book of doctors in his area which isn't even where we go for medical care and I got nothing. It must be a mess all over.
Got your order and almost have it packed. One more item and when DH gets home from getting feed he was going to town to get some wire and might have time to go by the PO otherwise it will go out tomorrow.
Everyone due in January is a first time mommy which is always an interesting experience for both of us. I have checked ligaments several times today and I have one that is really getting soft. When you can't feel them at all anymore it will be 24 to 48 hours. The one due tomorrow isn't even loosening up yet.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm so sorry you guys are going through that with your insurance. It always amazes me when they're not friendly. I've had that problem with Cigna and United. I think United has been trying very hard to improve in that area.

You almost get the feeling that they don't want your business.

Dak, this is the Pilates machine I'm looking at: Spring Wall | Fitness Store
How to assemble your Pilates Spring

It doesn't take up a lot of room and has all of the functionality of the regular wall. I'm a little scared of the reformer lol. When I see people do it, I think I'd probably get stuck in some position and wind up falling off.

Adi, good luck with the baby goats! Hopefully the weather isn't too bad. According to my phone it's currently 18 degrees. I took the dogs for a very short walk. They were in heaven running through the snow. Doesn't look like it's going to melt anytime soon. I worked from home today but went out to the grocery store at lunchtime and discovered that the windshield wiper fluid wouldn't work on any of the cars. It must have been frozen.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!

kritter - I have the horse trailer all fixed up for a kidding stall as it is supposed to be super cold here. it has big drop down windows which close and roof vents to I will leave those open for air circulation and I have a heat lamp where it can't be reached and the cord goes out the window above my head. I am ready. It will be toasty warm in there for me anyway. LOL I am such a weenie in cold weather.

Our local bank came through and we close Monday on our re-financing. Strange how they could do it in less than a month and Bank of America took 3 months to tell us they could not finance property with an ag exemption. It took us 15 minutes to go in and sign a form to remove the ag exemption. Now we can get the kidding building set up hopefully for the February and on babies. I want it on a slab so that will take longer than just having it built on dirt.

DH also got some good news today. We both get what is considered a government pension so even though both of us have enough quarters in SS for a retirement check it will be reduced due to our teacher retirement. DH applied for his as he is now 66 and got his letter today. Wow we were hoping for maybe a couple of hundred which would pay for his insurance. Weren't expecting $781.90 in addition to his teacher retirement. That will be a nice cushion every month. Things are looking up. Time for some good news.

Last edited by adillenal; 01-22-2014 at 02:31 PM..
Old 01-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nice about the SS Adi. Does DH get medicare supplemental insurance? I don't understand government pensions. I guess you don't pay as much into SS? I've never understood how it works and why it's done that way.

I'm a weenie about cold weather too. I might plan a trip to key west with my SIL if she's interested. I was thinking we could do a long weekend maybe mid or late Feb.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kritter, that Pilates wall looks a lot like my yoga wall... I don't have a picture of my room, but I installed a maple plywood panel with 3 rows of plates. This is where I bought it.

You're going to love it!

Nice surprise with SS, Adi. That is very good news!

I went shopping today at Costco, I am exhausted.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:51 AM   #53
Big Yapper!!!!

Teacher retirement was for years non SS and still is but about 20 years ago we started paying into medicare. That took affect only if you changed school districts so those people that worked for one school and never changed never paid into medicare. There were teachers that actually switched districts so they could pay into medicare and I think they were the smart ones. We strictly have teacher retirement based on our teaching years. BUT DH and I both also worked SS jobs here and there during our career. DH used to drive a dump truck during summers and worked several years doing other types of SS jobs. I worked in the food manufacturing industry before teaching and both of us have enough quarters to qualify for Medicare Part A with no fee as well as SS. It does get complicated. We only have to pay $45 to TRS for our Medicare supplement insurance and Medicare is $104.90 a month. I certainly cannot complain about my insurance costs as that is a third of what I was paying before retirement as DH will pay the same. So for 300 a month we are both completely covered with medical insurance. That or course does not include dental or vision but my premiums for those were actually higher than what I could have paid cash for my services so I am not concerned about getting new glasses once a year or so. Our concern was that everything sent to us is pretty complicated to figure out what we were actually supposed to do. DH said people would need a college education just to apply. Had to remind him that we did have those and were still having difficulties. Think we finally made it through the maze and to the other side though.
I have never been to Costco as they are in Austin so we just go to Sam's when we go buy feed in Bryan. I gave DH a list yesterday when he went. He only bought one extra thing and that was strawberries. He did good. We like to buy bulk cheese there.
Migraine is still hanging on but with the cold front arriving I feel confident that it will go away as soon as the pressure evens out. My weight just is't going anywhere. Same two pound bounce everyday. So it is not water weight but fat. Hopefully it will start to inch downward soon. Ten whole Christmas pounds still hanging around.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Adi, it's really sad how complicated it is. My in-laws were very intelligent people and I remember how much time it took them to go through all of the documentation and do all of the research to find the best plan for them. It's a disgrace that they make it that difficult. That's great that yours is so affordable! Yay retirement

Dak, that yoga equipment looks very cool. I've never seen anything like that used for yoga.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #55
Big Yapper!!!!

Kritter - I have no idea why they do that. I now understand why my Mother (she was a retired teacher at the time) was the resource person for all the widows in town trying to do SS and Medicare paperwork. She even helped fill out grants to get repairs on their houses. She kept up with what was available and made sure all of the little old ladies got all the help they could get as she felt she was very fortunate to not only get her teacher retirement but also a widow's pension from Daddy's Railroad retirement so compared to getting SS only she was well off and she shared by hauling folks to the doctor, the grocery store, etc. She even bought "special" grocery treats for her friends. Mother had a big heart.

It is cold here. The rain was freezing on the back gate when I went out to milk. I have babies due but none of them act like it is tonight though. I will go out and check every couple of hours to be sure though.

And teachers in Texas contribute 7% of their salary to teacher retirement each month which is matched by the school district so that is where the retirement funds come from. And I am getting 78.2% of my average three highest salaries and DH is getting 82.8%. Each year is worth 2.3% So we get a lot more than the typical SS. I have to laugh as DH's brother used to make fun of him for teaching for a low salary. Now DH's retirement check is over twice, almost 3 times what his brother is getting. Guess who has the last laugh on that one? LOL

I worked today so I would not have to get out in the morning as it is supposed to be snowing here or at least covered in ice as it has misted all day and it is already below freezing.

I had a very controlled UD today too except I had two bowls of soup with cornbread for dinner. Should have had just one but it was good and the bowl was small. No sugar today either.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #56
Big Yapper!!!!

DD for me. Had twin babies early this morning but sure better than 2am for sure. Both doing great and are in the laundry room trying to get out of their plastic tub. We got sleet but no snow. Had my heart set on snow. Had swiss chard for lunch for some unknown reason I wanted some. I picked it on the way back from the mailbox and cooked it in some broth. Kind of like swiss chard soup. Actually a healthy DD lunch.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Swiss Chard in broth sounds good. I've been buying Tom Yum soup from TJ's and adding greens from my garden and enhancing it a bit, really good. I may have that for dinner tonight. Your teacher's retirement program is very enviable!

Clouds have been coming in all afternoon, I sure hope it rains soon.

Adi, your mom sounds like she was a really lovely woman. I can hardly imagine someone doing that now, we live so apart from our neighbors.

I've been planning my summer garden, I decided to try some different types of zucchini and of course, more tomatoes. I have a variety I'm really excited to try, a drying tomato that's really huge, dry with very little seeds. I'm trying to bribe DS and and his housemate to come out and help dig some more raised beds for me. I sent in a couple of soil samples to the lab, hopefully by next week I'll be able to start mixing amendments.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #58
Big Yapper!!!!

Dak - I have looking at my seed catalog trying to decide what I want to plant. I love trying out new squash varieties. For some reason we have the worst luck with tomatoe4s here. BUT I am going to try again. Won't give up.We had rain in the form of sleet which is melting now so about the same as a rain. Sun is shining today. Cold and beautiful. Had another baby this morning and he is in the laundry room and the two from yesterday have moved out to the baby pen and the sunshine.
My mother was before her time and was a liberal on a lot of issues. She taught me that I could do anything I set my mind to and she was right.
The swiss chard is growing on me and I really like it now. My collards are big enough to harvest a meal and I think I might have some for dinner tonight. Had a cheesburger for lunch as I thawed a pkg of ground meat and made patties. Have round steak in the crock pot. That should go well with collards.
DH and I are planning my new milk room. We just about have it down as to what we want. Using the horse trailer for a kidding pen is working well for now so the girls are in good shape for having their babies.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's so much fun looking at seed catalogs. I feel like I have to hold myself back though, I want to grow everything, LOL.

I've found a new food! Tinned sardines. I mix them with a little mustard and capers and put them over salad with some vegetables, so good and easy. None of the mercury that comes with tuna. Trader Joe's sardines were alright, but the wild Planet ones I picked up at the health food store are the best.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dak, I was on a sardine kick for a while. I get the skinless, boneless ones. I tried to like them but I'm not crazy about them. I still eat them because they're so darned healthy. Full of Omega 3 fatty acids. Tom Yum soup sounds interesting. Is it just a broth?

Adi, congrats on the new babies! And that's a great retirement benefit.

it snowed again today. I spent most of the day at the mall with my girlfriend and had a fantastic burger for lunch. It was nice to get out and walk around. It seemed like a lot of people had the same idea.