Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bethr
Stats: 289.5/224/? by ?
WOE: FMD
Start Date: First Time 4/01 Restart 4/28/14
Slimmer by Winter--December Edition

The last month of the year

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Hi All--

I know I've been MIA for a while. But I want to check back in regularly particularly now that we are going into the holiday season and the naughty food abounds.

I have been crazy busy between work, going to Chicago for my BIL birthday and just not feeling well. I've not been to the gym in ages. I've been starting PT for my back but have struggled even to do those exercises, although the few times I have done them they have helped. But the really scary thing is that I've been diagnosed with a heart arrythmia. I woke up Wednesday morning feeling my heart beating funny and feeling a little pressure. Now I've had occassional bouts of PVCs that haven't been too much of a big deal. So I decided to go to the doctor that afternoon (rather than the ER and spend a bunch of money to be told I'm just fine) Anyway. The funny heartbeats were still going on when I went and they did an EKG and I have atrial fibrilation. My doctor, who was also my mom's, remembered that my mom had AFib. Mine is pretty mild. I was smart and put on my gym heart rate monitor in the morning so I was able to monitor that my heart rate was going up. So, my doc put me on aspirin therapy, a rate controller med (which I've not taken yet) and set me up to have an echocardiogram (probably to make sure it isn't a valve problem). The good news is that the heartbeat self corrected later on Wednesday and hasn't been back yet. But I must say that it has shaken me up quite a bit. It is certainly reason enough to get back into clean eating and regular exercise (although I am afraid to go back to the gym until after I see my doc next week.)

So let's enjoy this holiday season together, maintaing if we're not losing.

See my blog www.bethrado.blogspot.com

One step, one hour, one day at a time.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Annie64
Stats: 245/175.6/ ? 5'8"
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 6/2/08
Yay! We are back! I miss hearing from you girls every day!

I have still been struggling with the same 5 lbs. It is hard to eat healthy when you are broke. This is NOT going to be a fun month. Not. At. All. One good thing is my boss had her baby Monday before last and she will be home for 3 months, so that makes me less able to be so "snacky" while I'm there at least. I have not been going to the gym much at all and my body is screaming at me - it wants to feel healthy and strong again dang it! When I am this stressed out it is really hard to care what I eat though. Money issues should be resolved by the end of the month, but until then (Christmas who?) it is going to be extremely stressful. Anyway, I have been hovering at about 204-207 for weeks. If I can just get below 200 I know I will be ok and keep going. I am still having bouts of crippling fatigue.. it has gotten worse over the past few years, but the doctor never really had any explanation for it. I think I need to get my thyroid checked again. It's either that or my age.. but that fatigue is freaky. It's like being drugged!

Beth: Oh my gosh! That is scary! At least it's mild! Yeah, I wouldn't go to the gym until you see the doctor again. Sometimes it takes something like that to get our booties in gear and really make ourselves get healthy. Keep us posted! Glad you started us up here again.. we all need this!
Old 12-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Scale was down almost 1 lb despite the bad stuff I ate yesterday. Mostly that is because I can only eat what is available right now as I am flat broke after bills. Let's see, I had 1 Coke, bologna, bread (wheat) and marshmallows! LOL! Oh yeah, my big meal of the day was flour tortillas with cheese, sour cream and avocado.

I should be kept very busy today as I put off a bunch of writing assignments I need to do to catch up in a class, finish my felted giraffe for fibers class, and paint!
Old 12-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning Slimmers.

I hope you are all doing well. Slept late this morning. Had a massage yesterday. We are members of Massage Envy but have been going to the store that is about 20 miles away and the traffic on Saturday afternoon is horrible. Well, they just opened a store in my town and we went there for the first time (the memberships are all transferable) and LOVED it! I have found a new massage therapist whom I like AND she is looking for a Reiki master as a teacher (which I am) and it looks like I may have a student. Of course I am a bit sore from the massage. My heart seems to be doing OK although it might be a bit off this morning. I'll have to put on my heart monitor to check (I had to replace the battery yestereday). Not much on the agenda today, perhaps laundry and a little bit of work. I didn't hit my goal for the month since I wasn't feeling well on Wednesday.

Diane--so did your boss have a boy or a girl. I have a colleague who is expecting twins in 10 days (both boys) and a neighbor who is expecting a boy in 18 days. I've been cross stitching bibs for them all. When are you done with school for the term?

I can't believe we leave for Texas in just three weeks!

Hi Charlene and Rachel!

Have a good day.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Beth: She had a boy! He is CUTE! It's been almost 4 years since I've held a newborn.. it is so relaxing in a way. His name is Xander :-) This week is the last week for classes for the semester. Sad about that. I will miss my art classes. I do have to go take in all of paintings to show as a group to my proff. but that isn't part of class.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Well I am trying something new tomorrow.. Green Monster smoothies! My boss drinks them and swears by them. She said she had lost weight drinking them in the past, and now wants to lose the baby weight. Let's see, it's Greek vanilla yogurt, Almond milk, banana, pb, and fresh baby spinach! I have heard you don't taste the spinach.. I'll let you know! We are supposed to get up to 6" of snow through tomorrow, so I may be snowed in. That could be a good thing..

I decided to try this because despite being fairly good the past 3 days, I still GAINED almost 2 lbs! Ridiculous. I am going to try to go get my thyroid levels checked Monday depending on if I can get to my cleaning job tomorrow.. if I can't get to the job I will have to do it Monday instead. I just want to know if it's my thyroid or if it's just getting OLD. (I think I am secretly hoping it's my thyroid) LOL!
Old 12-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Well. on the Green Monster smoothie! It was delicious! You do not taste ANY spinach at ALL. You mostly taste the peanut butter and the banana. I can totally drink these for lunch every day, with what's left of my shakeology mix as a back up if I don't have all the ingredients for the monster. For dinner I think I am going to have chicken, and some brown rice.

Taking a snow day here, although the snow is just now starting, it was icy this morning, so I am planning to do my Fri. cleaning job on Monday. I was going to go to the doctor that day, but I'll just have to try for next week.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Guys,

Hope you are all well. Happy Birthday Charlene. I didn't realize it was the big 50. Welcome to the decade.

Diane--saw the pix of your new charge. They are so cute at that age! Green smoothie. Probably healthy but not sure I could go there. Although I did do a 3 day cleanse with lots of smoothies. Maybe I'll think about doing it again after the holiday.

Had a gig last night and am pretty tired today. Have pictures to process. I had an echocardiogram this week and saw my doc. I have the all clear to exercise so I want to get to the gym tomorrow. Its been really cold here, down to 18 yesterday morning. BRRRR. Charlene, did you get hit by the ice storm in dallas? My family has been houseboud for two days.

Have a great day!
Old 12-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

I did really good yesterday, UNTIL I had a big burger for dinner! I don't know if you saw the post on fb, but I was kidding around on their fb page saying I wouldn't go out in the snow, but they were welcome to deliver (which they don't)! They ended up asking me where I live and decided to do their first ever delivery! I could NOT pass up that deal! So I got my scrumptious mango curry sauce and goat cheese burger.. OMG it was good. BUT I still went down on the scale today! Whew! Today I have been very good.. had my green smoothie (added even MORE spinach and STILL could not taste it). Had some eggs for lunch, and dinner was a mesquite chicken breast. I DID decide to go get a sf peppermint mocha.. no caffeine for 2 days and I felt like I needed it.. need to get 2 paintings done by Tuesday!

Beth: Seriously, I would never have guessed there was spinach in there.. I was very very pleasantly surprised how good it tasted! I was skeptical.. expecting it to taste "green" but it's more like desert! Sweet, but no added sweeteners.. of course there is some sugar in the almond milk and yogurt, but I may eventually switch to the unsweetened milk (which in my shakeology shakes I didn't taste a difference). ..... ah yes, new baby smell is the best! He is a really good baby too! I call him little Put-Put though.. he is a big gassy!

Charlene: I'm next on the big 5-0.. next September!
Old 12-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Blame it on the pizza.. lol.. I did really good yesterday but my son ordered pizza late last night, and offered me some, so I had a little. It was thin crust and I didn't overdo it. Scale was the same as yesterday though.

You would think the way I have gained this year that our group was called "Fatter by Winter"

Green shake #3... gone too soon. My only gripe with it is that I wish it made just a little more Need to run to the store and fight the abominable snow monster out there to get some more bananas and almond milk. Then back home to finish up my last two paintings of the semester!
Old 12-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Super frustrated. Down 2.. Up 1. I know I can't give up because that would mean continuing to gain until I am back up to where I was. NO WAY is that happening.

I don't know what else to say right now.. not in the best mood.. but I am hearing crickets in here anyway!
Old 12-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

chirp chirp

Diane--I know you're frustrated. Did you mention that you were going to see our dr. to get your thyroid checked? Hopefully that will give you some answers.

I'm just hanging in there. Tired and cranky and overwhelmed by the holiday. I too am in a difficult place.

Let's all hang in there. It will get better!

It has been so darn cold here its not even funny. Not even making it into the 50s and we've had freeze warnings for a week. This is not our usual pattern.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Beth: I ended up having to work all day Monday (the only day I can get there with my work schedule), so I didn't make it to the doctor, but I am going soon. The symptoms I have been having could SO totally be either thyroid.. or... the "M" word. I would hate to think such crippling fatigue could be part of "M".

Yeah, I'm not doing Christmas this year I don't think. Not even a tree! I would normally get a real tree, but we can't have them at this complex, and even though my son has a fake tree, I don't even know where we would put it. I'm too broke anyway.. I might not even make cookies and Oreo Truffles. I'm SO not feeling it... BUT I know that would probably let the kids down, so I feel like I have to at least TRY to do that. Then there is Meadow. I have to do SOMETHING. My DD's bday is Monday and I am so broke I can't even make a cake. Stinks. Just need to get to the end of the month and I should have my school money. I told Meadow I would take her to Build a Bear for her bday (which is the 29th).. she is SOOOO excited! She didn't know what it was until I showed her online. I MIGHT do some kind of dinner/gift thing on New Years Day or something.. I don't know. I am just so not into holidays at ALL this year.

I'm betting our group will be in full swing by January!
Old 12-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Got Meadow for the day yesterday and I miss her already. We read books, watched Beverly Hills Chihuahua II, and of course painted! I am rethinking the Build A Bear idea because my son said he got her a gift card for the place.. so I don't know, maybe we can all go together. I can get her art stuff, I'm sure she would love that!

I've still been drinking my spinach smoothies every day. I started adding flax, but I think I need to cut the 1 TBS down to about a tsp! Let's just say there are less than happy side effects! Love the smoothies though. Never "ate" so much green in my life!

Well, I'm going to try to get things done around the apt today and TRY to get things organized. If we can make room I might (if the kids want to) have my son bring in his tree.

OH! Meadow noticed that I wasn't wearing a wedding ring, and said, "Why aren't you wearing a ring?" I said, "Because I'm not married.. but I used to be.. do you know who I was married to? Grandpa Dave!" ...... Meadow said, "EWWWWW!" I think she followed that with Yuck! LOLOLOL! Then she said something about "you don't want to kiss" hahahahahahahaha! Love that kid!
Old 12-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Guys,

Can't believe we are leaving for Texas a week from today. I've managed to acquire another cold, so I've been staying indoors and not doing much except finishing up a baby bib for my neighbor who is expecting a baby boy this week. My colleague's wive had twins on Tuesday. I need to get packages wrapped and mailed off for Christmas so I don't have to pack them.

We had a gig last night for the Parade of Lights in Sausalito. The place was packed and it was cool to see the boats sailing by all lit up. As we were loading out last night one of the guests was guilty of WUI (walking under the influence) and plowed into me, wretching my knee and hip. I was soooo PO'ed. Just starting to feel better after months and now this twit can't walk two feet in a straight line. Its one thing if you want to drink to excess and hurt yourself, quite another if you injure someone else. I have no patience for drunks, which is actually kind of strange coming from me.

Diane--I saw Meadow's art on FB and she is quite the little talent. She is so cute too! She is lucky to have a loving Nana. Starting flax is something to do slowly until your body can adjust.

Charlene--how ya doing? Ready for the holiday. Heading your way soon.

Have a great day all!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sports_mom
Stats: 253.6/203.4/175
WOE: Low Carb
Hi y'all! It's been CRAZY around here. I'll have to update later, but my sister has been with me, running her back and forth to Palo Pinto - 3 hours away. Basketball several nights a week and we are in the state playoff game in football!!! I'm still the same. I haven't been exercising much lately and I can tell.

Beth - that is so scary about your heart. Take care of yourself!

Diane - I'm frustrated too. The green monster smoothie sounds delicious. I'll try that.

Lots to share, so I'll have to get back on later and it's a busy week with seeing kids and 3 bb games and a football game. I'll try to get on later
Old 12-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

So my sister has decided that she doesn't want to live out in the sticks anymore after she bought a house and worked a few months. She quit her job, lost her truck, and came to stay with me for a while to get her head straight. She has decided to go there, clean it up and try to sell it. I dropped her off Sunday. She thinks someone is already interested - it is close to a lake and I sure hope they'll buy it. It would ease a lot of her mind. She's just at a breaking point.

Our football boys will play in the state championship game Friday at 4 at Cowboy stadium! So exciting!! They've broken a record for the most points scored by a 3A team set in 1991. It's been so fun watching them this year!

DD15 is driving with a permit now, playing varsity basketball and keeping me on my toes.

DD13 is playing bb as well and I swear my car is so messy from living in it that if I went into a culvert and couldn't be found a few days, I could survive on the crap in there. LOL I run the roads at a constant rate.

In between that. dd15 decided for her big Christmas gift she wanted to redo her room, so on nights, my sister and I textured her walls and then repainted it. It's a big girl room now. SOOOOO pretty. Tans and browns with some leopard print accents. I bought her a few things to set out for Christmas to go with the decor. DD13 got a new electric guitar and I can't wait for her to get good at this and sing for us. She's good when she practices, but her acoustic had some broken strings until here lately. We finally fixed them and she's practicing more.

I've not done just horrible on eating, but not great either. Not enough to lose anymore weight though and I am so ready to start losing again.

Diane - how's your job lately - and school?

Beth - are you still working? What are your plans for Christmas?

That's a little bit of what's going on....hopefully I can check back more often over the holidays.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Yay! We are getting back into the groove! (well with posting anyway). I did good yesterday, but ate very light because I knew I was going to my friends Christmas party (the same guys that did the Halloween party and decorate their whole house).. anyway, I don't think I ate that much or that bad, but I gained a couple pounds this morning. Today I have done well, so I am hoping it is back down tomorrow. I KNOW I can't say "oh well, I will just eat what I want and start a diet after New Years".. uh uh.. I would probably gain another 10 lbs or more if I did that! I am planning to do my famous herd of cookies for the kids.. and a few friends who have not forgotten them from previous years and are already making requests, lol.. ugh.. it is SO exhausting! I am making my DD help me this year!

Beth: It must be baby season! Hey I hope your cold is gone by the time you leave for Texas! ... Oh man! That stinks what the drunk person did! I have a low tolerance for drunkies too. .... Maybe it's because I'm her Nana, but I have never seen any kid Meadow's age paint like that.. she doesn't just slop it on there, or do what most kids her age would do, and she covers the whole canvas (perhaps because she sees that is what I do). I have cut down to about a tsp or two of flax

Charlene: Holy Moly! You HAVE been busy! Glad you are back on the board though, I was gonna hunt you down and drag you back here! ... Everyone I have had taste the Green Monster say it tastes like peanut butter and/or banana. I realize the riper and sweeter the banana though, the better the smoothie. Today I added a little sweetener because even though my banana looked very ripe, it wasn't that sweet. There are different variations of the recipe online, but mine is pretty simple and I think the original recipe.. best if you freeze the banana in chunks ahead of time (I don't know why I never thought to do that.. I could have saved a LOT of bananas from going bad!) .. anyway, put frozen banana, 1 TBS of peanut butter (I use Jiff Natural), 1/2 cup 0% Greek vanilla yogurt (I use Chobani), 1 cup almond milk (I use Silk), and I just throw a bunch of organic fresh baby spinach to fill up the blender the rest of the way (about 2-4 cups), then blend until smooth! Sometimes it takes a little work to get my blender to "grab" the spinach. You can add a little flax and it doesn't change the taste much at all, if any. Even the days I don't do well with my eating, I will still make a Green Monster because it's so dang healthy! .... My job is going very well.. she had the baby and it home for the next few months, which was challenging the first few weeks because the 2 year old wants mommy to do EVERYthing for him, but he is getting better about that. School.. oh boy.. I am on a break until the first week of Jan. I am terrified of this next semester! (math and public speaking)

Last edited by Annie64; 12-16-2013 at 06:38 PM..
Old 12-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Scale down a bit today and TOM is here, which probably accounts for easy gaining this past week. I'm doing pretty good today so far, and I am planning to make it to the gym Friday morning. Going to start the dreaded cookie baking probably tonight.. at least get the sugar cookie dough done and in the fridge... and the Oreo truffle dough. That is just the beginning.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Beth - we must try and meet one day! As far as I know, I'll come home from a mini trip my dh gave me for my birthday on the 23rd and be available until the day after Christmas when dd15 plays in a bb tournament lol. Always something.

Diane - I've been baking non stop. My kids take their teachers and friends goodies. I have also had like 5 birthdays for their friends and they always request my cookies. I'm about sick of seeing dough. LOL
Old 12-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm tired of seeing dough too, and I haven't started baking yet! .... oh.... wait... that's my midsection!
Old 12-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Ahh, down almost 2 lbs since yesterday. One more and it will be the least I have weighed in almost a month. It's one of those days where despite sleeping a decent amount of hours last night, I woke up tired, and I'm still tired and can't stop yawning! I hope I can get some cookies started tonight.. I guess I'm kind of putting it off. I just don't feel into it and it's hard to get it going.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

I'm tired too. And I'm about to leave for another basketball game out of town. I was gonna do a little shopping, but now dd15's friends found out I was going by myself and want to ride along. hehehe.

Diane - good job on down 2. I need to weigh and see where I'm at and what I need to do.... I'm kinda scared.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning all!

I really have a nasty cold. I've had it for a week and now its getting worse. DH has it too. He was up for a while in the middle of the night and so was I. While I don't feel really bad, it is as annoying. Have to work a while today and then I'm done for the year (I hope). We had our carpet cleaned yesterday and tomorrow we are getting our new furniture. I'm looking forward to it. We leave on Sunday morning.

Charlene--I'll be in Frisco. Are you anywhere close? I think the 26th would be a good day to hook up if that would work.--

Diane--nice gift from your boss! Hope you are doing OK and that you've managed to get all that baking done.

Have a good day all!
Old 12-22-2013, 05:59 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

I do not know WHAT I did to my foot. I can barely walk! I don't know how I'm going to get the rest of the baking and everything else done. It hurt SO bad last night that I took my migraine meds. I kept it elevated, but ice just made it hurt worse, and it's not swollen. It totally feels like how a broken bone feels, but I would think there would be swelling. The only thing I can think of that might have hurt it was that I wore riding boots the night before, and I had stopped to put air in my tires, bending down, maybe the boot pressed too hard on that part of my foot? It has hurt in that same spot before, but never ever like this!

Weight is still up and down, and I am trying to be good so I at least don't gain anything more. With this foot I certainly can't go to the gym for a while. If it's still bad next week, I will make a trip to the student clinic. Ugh.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Hey There! We had a spontaneous Christmas with my son and DIL yesterday. They decided to come down for the state football game (which we lost by 5 points!) and then do Christmas together yesterday. It was great having them here. My dyer went out and I am frantically looking for another. With as much as we showe4r and change clothes, it's piling up around here!

Beth- The 26th is the first game of Lexi's tournament in Bryan - the other direction, BUT, if it's an early game, I could still make the trip. I'll let you know! I hope you have a wonderful trip! I love Sam Moon's there in Frisco and since I still have one more Christmas that Saturday, I could probably get some cheap gifts. hehehe
Old 12-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

A little worried about my foot.. after limping for several days (way too much.. should have stayed off of it but it was Christmas and I couldn't), and can now walk pretty well and don't have pain EXCEPT an occasional unexpected horrible pain that lasts about 10 seconds and goes away.. I am resting it today and staying off of it except to go to the bathroom or get food. Tomorrow I have my big cleaning job and I can't not do it.. I need the money. Ugh.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Hope every one had a great Christmas. It has been great being here with my family, but being sick really put a damper on it. We are headed home tomorrow. Not looking forward to the trip but will be glad to get home.

Diane. Hope your foot gets better!
Old 12-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning all!

Traveled home yesterday. Boy it was a long day. Happy to be home. Am finally starting to recover from this cold. Not much on the agenda today, grocery shopping and hair appointment. I'm off for another week and am looking forward to a break and getting it together for the new year. Am thinking about doing the cleanse/fast starting on Thursday.

Hope you are all doing well!
Closed Thread