Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
30 days til christmas no binge/cheat challenge

Starts tomorrow 11/25. Post daily and let's get on the road to feeling and looking better this Christmas.

My reward besides feeling great will be to buy a french press coffee travel mug for Christmas.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
I'm in, Jeanie!
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portia View Post
I'm in, Jeanie!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: krazy cat
Stats: 280/working on it/145
WOE: Atkins '72-ish
Start Date: 2/22/12-Atkins; 2/13/13-LC/JUDDD; Jun '14-Atkins72
Hi Jeanie & Portia I'd like to be in on this challenge too!

I really want to get through the next 30 days cleanly so I can actually fit into the new clothes my husband is giving me for Christmas (that I picked out ). More importantly, I want to feel good about myself and wake up on Christmas morning feeling slim and energetic, instead of bloated, tired and guilty. I really wish I wasn't such an all or nothing person -- gotta work on that in 2014!

Good luck to us all!
krazy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi Krazy cat

Been a crazy stressful day but I ate on plan and am feeling optimistic!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1, 2014
How is everyone doing? I did pretty good yesterday despite possibly breaking a toe (ow!). Feels good to be eating clean.

Ham and eggs for breakfast. Lunch will be salad and a protein shake. Chicken and veg for dinner.
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Ouch on the toe Jes!

I never thought of myself as a stress eater, but I have been so stressed out the last couple of days and really want comfort food! I have done well though and haven't caved!
Old 11-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Third day binge free. The last one was a shocker and scared the daylights out of me. I was pacing and anxious that day; it was horrible, worst one ever, I felt like my brain was spinning out of control. It felt like the old panic attacks I used to have. Maybe they have manifested now into this horrible binging.

Since last binge have been taking 5htp and it seems to be helping so far, touch wood and waiting until late in day to eat. Kind of a hybrid of IF/JUDDD/Fast 5 but not rigid, just loose and taking it as it comes and eating what I want not what I should, just small bites. For me I can't eat breakfast, have to hold off eating as long as I can, if I eat earlier then tell myself I will fast until dinner or a 24 hour fast (that's where the flexibility helps with the"'oh well stuff it, wrecked it might as well keep going"". I can't do regular meals, it sucks, but that's what works for me and stops the insanity.

If you can get to the point where you can eat one unit of a trigger food (e.g. white chocolate covered licorice ball) whilst in a craving state, but stop right after, then you are a Jedi master and nothing can stand in your way

"I am what I ate...and I'm frightened"....Bill Cosby
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

I may try the 5htp again mojo. I do remember it helping me, but it also made me feel a bit tired so I stopped taking it. I also think it may have altered my hormone levels as I had a period after taking it along with st. johns wort for a couple of weeks. I hadn't had a period in 18 months since my ablation when this occurred.

I can relate to the panicky pacing feeling! It drives me insane and I give in to it and binge I think just to get some relief. Of course the relief is only short lived and only reinforces the next binge cycle I suppose. I recently had an extremely rough 8 day cycle of binging where I gained back 8+ pounds! I have been back on track for two days now but today has been hard.

Last edited by jeaniem; 11-26-2013 at 05:29 PM..
Old 11-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

But if you are still taking the W/B it should sort out the tiredness do you think? I've lowered my W/B to 1, and 1 5htp mid morning and afternoon. I'm liking the way it's smoothing me out and truly its early days, so I'm happy so far, less anger, anxiety and panic feelings. From what I've read on a lengthy post the esoteric coated one with B6 to help it work is the best one. Mine came in capsule because it was made up by compounder so I had no choice but that's probably more to protect stomach. My poor old stomach is made of iron, been through so much Getting the period back after all the time..eeek..poor you....I believe it may affect libido so it certainly seems to have some effect on hormones.

PS: It's really giving me a feeling of satiety when eating, which is what I want, a couple of bites and then feeling full without that dangerous TOO full feeling (I know you know what I mean).
PSS: W/B and 5http covers two different neuro-transmitters ie pleasure seeking and satiety/happiness. It's got to work!

Last edited by mojocat; 11-26-2013 at 06:03 PM..
Old 11-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Hmmm,I don't remember what dose my wellbutrin was or if I even took the two together? I woke up this morning after 10 hours of much needed sleep and felt off from the moment I got up, *****, dizzy and craving carbs. I can't believe by 11am I had already eaten 12 oz. of oreos and handfuls of m&m trail mix. I even drove to the store to buy the stuff! I freaking give up this is just what my life is destined to be I suppose.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/116.8/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
Jeanie, that sucks. I know the feeling you describe so well. My binge couple of weeks ago went on for 10 days and I felt like I was on autopilot the whole time. I was buying things without thinking. I was not even enjoying the carbs after first day, yet I had to continue eating. It is a horrible feeling of losing control.
I think if I did not have my health scare I would still be binging. All this binging has an affect on the body and sooner or later it catches up with us. I just wish we don't have to get sick to get a wake up call. I know I have no choice at this point, there is not option for me to eat wrong foods, unless I am ready to give up on my life. I don't want to be sick ever again.

Hang in there Jeanie and Mojo. I don't really have any advise to offer but I do recommend reading "The Willpower Instinct" by Kelly McGonigal. The book looks like it can help with this, even though it is not specifically written for binge eating.

p.s I have never been on WB, but remember reading that you should not 5htp with WB. Or maybe I am confusing it with something else?

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 11-27-2013 at 10:34 AM..
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Oh Jeanie so sorry..just goes to show how a one size fits all approach doesn't work; lack of sleep gives me that bingey feeling and here it is working opposite for you. Can you go and seek some medical advice; you shouldn't have to suffer like this

I was listening to a podcast with Julia Ross yesterday. She said if 5htp makes one tired then Tyrosine could be added in. She said if 5htp makes one spaced out then they could possibly be ADD. I've always wondered if maybe I have some form of ADD but I'm definitely not spaced out. Fourth day binge free, no cravings, if I can make it through this week I am going to say the 5htp is working. I'm starting to see I may have an issue with boredom eating in the past; need to keep my hands busy and out of the kitchen.

Marika 5htp/Ltrytophan shouldn't be taken with SSRI's ie Prozac, Zoloft etc although Julia Ross has her bulimia patients for instance taking them 6 hours apart as they come off the SSRI's. I guess it could be done if one is strictly under the supervision of their doc/psych. WB is a SNRI so it works on different neurotransmitters. It's hard because my doctor said Ltryptophan/5htp do nothing for depression so it's difficult to get good medical advice from him, he's very mainstream. For binging he just wanted to put me on Prozac and I just don't want to be a walking zombie at this stage and I'm petrified of weight gain from SSRI's.

Last edited by mojocat; 11-27-2013 at 12:47 PM..
Old 11-28-2013, 03:03 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Fifth day binge free compared to every second day. I believe 5htp may be the missing piece of puzzle for me and that I have a severe deficiency in seratonin. Tonight I had to make emergency night visit to supermarket for cat food and I walked past all my triggers and felt nothing whatsoever. My carb cravings are completely gone. I remember being so disappointed that L-tryptophan didn't work for me months back and GABA gave me a weird panic attack. I thought the Diet Cure was another useless wacky book. So if you have tried L-tryptophan and it didn't do anything, perhaps try 5htp or vice versa.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

mojo
I'll read through my diet cure book today but was wondering if you need to take the 5htp at certain times or with or without food for it to be the most effective. I took 50 mg. at bedtime and felt nauseated during the night.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
jeaniem . . . just my experience with 5-htp.

1. people respond to it quite variably
2. for me, I never take before bedtime (it can cause vivid dreaming, but beyond that I find it alleviates anxiety a bit if taken mid-day). I tend to take without food.
3. I usually take just 50 mg, once in a rare while 100
4. I never take it bundled (such as with St John's wort)
5. my experience is that it accumulates in my body, so after three or four days I am dog, butt-dragging tired . . . . that's why I've never been a daily user . . . I partial it out for when I feel I need to take the "edge" off.
6. I've used it to forestall alcohol cravings/anxiety, so not sure how it works for food cravings. However, anxiety-driven hankering for alcohol is similar to a hankering for food in a way.

I haven't taken any for weeks now, but I do keep a supply in.

p.s. I once took some with chromium (not on purpose) and had the experience of walking in a grocery store and not caring to buy anything. I never mixed those two again. It was too weird.

Last edited by Patience; 11-28-2013 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: can't write
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
jeaniem . .

p.s. I once took some with chromium (not on purpose) and had the experience of walking in a grocery store and not caring to buy anything. I never mixed those two again. It was too weird.
How interesting! I have read so much about chromium but have never tried it personally.

Jeanie I take 5htp on an empty tummy mid-morning and mid-afternoon. I won't take it near bedtime because Julia says it's more energising that L-tryp and also can increase cortisol levels, as well as the weird dreams Patience refers to. L-tryp I took at night as it is more relaxing and I didn't want to be sleepy during the day. It did whack me out sleep-wise but again did nothing for AS. I take 2x 5htp 100 mg per day. So they both are similar but work in different ways so if one doesn't work it would be good to try the other.

Last edited by mojocat; 11-28-2013 at 12:35 PM..
Old 11-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Patience
I think I remember chromium/l glutamine being part of Julia's suggestions for carb cravings??
I too remember the 5htp working for AS but the fatigue becoming an issue. I am hoping that the wellbutrin as mojo mentioned may offset that issue. I am reading a book now about the multiple uses of 5htp and the author says that some folks need to add in tyrosine to help with the dopamine transmitters as well. I really need something for anxiety as well, I don't think I binge due to anxiety as the anxiety is a relatively new issue for me, but it certainly doesn't make things any easier.

Last edited by jeaniem; 11-28-2013 at 01:29 PM..
Old 11-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

How did you guys go yesterday with your Thanksgiving? I bet you all had a great sleep after all that turkey.

I contacted my compounding chemist to see if I could up my dose slightly because its got this theonine in it which I don't know much about. He also suggested I take Chromium Plus with it, which I pounced on in light of Patience's comments above. It's got chromium pic, inisitol, ACL and vanadyl, it's his own recipe but he seems to think it will be very good BED. So my experiment continues and I will let you know.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

I am just a mess physically and my BG has been higher than normal, it was 148 4 hours after eating lunch today and 126 fasting yesterday. I feel like I am constantly hungry, yet not really wanting to eat anything, I have been taking the 5htp, gaba and tyrosine for two days now and have not really noticed anything significant yet.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KaisMama
Stats: 219/206/healthy
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 01/01/14
Hello Ladies,

Can I join even though I'm a bit late? I just started my lc journey a few days ago and they say if you do something for 30 days it becomes a habit, so I'd love to eat clean until then.

This morning I had a pumpkin smoothie and planning on a chef salad at lunch.
KaisMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Welcome KM any tips on handling this Monster are most welcome. We are always looking for ways to overcome this and no-one understands it better than those who suffer through it.

Jeanie, do you mean BG as in blood glucose? Are you diabetic or borderline? I have a family history of type 2. I have always wondered what my BS readings are before, during and after a binge. I am sure that continuous, unsatisfied binging is mostly insulin from the carbs as the driving force. Is a binge started by a BS drop? Do you think we should eat every few hours as they say but small portions. I have done that in the past eating to hunger, just enough bites toi stop the hunger; it's when I eat to fullness and get that bloat that things go pear-shaped. But then fasting kills my hunger and keeps BS stable; it's the eating that does it. It's mentioned in Dr Bernsteins diabetes book as the Chinese Restaurant Syndrome, eating even high bulk veggies in a chinese restaurant, triggers a hormone in gut that makes BS rise (for diabetics). So also eating lots of veggies until you full has never worked for me' always left me unsatisfied and bingey, even with fat. Eating to fullness is a no-no for me.

Not feeling much from the chromium yet but didn't expect to as it's early days.

Last edited by mojocat; 11-30-2013 at 12:15 PM..
Old 12-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Ugh..had a mild setback today..mild in that I was able to recover and not jump in car and go to supermarket and buy every piece of crapola that I have been denying myself. I started to pace and get anxious, almost jumping out of my brain. I quickly shoved some L-glutamine under my tongue. I was eventually able to pick myself up and STOP. Which to me was a huge move forward. If I can handle future episodes like this I'm sure I could live with it without too much damage. Let's hope things will get even better.

Anyway wanted to share with you something I read about binging. Hope it might help someone.

As you continue to binge, you just keep telling yourself this will be the last time and you'll be good in the future (while of course stuffing more carbs into your face since you've just set an ultimatum for yourself so hey, its okay to stuff your face now since you won't do it anymore, might as well get it all out of the way). But by doing this, by setting up this "last supper" scenario, your serotonin and endorphins remain low since you are putting so much mental stress and cognitive dissonance on yourself for bingeing. In effect, you’re eating all these unhealthy foods yet you're not getting the benefit you should of the skyrocketing serotonin, endorphins, and leptin since your mental stress is blocking their actions. You never feel the stop signal despite clear physical signs of satiety such as a hurting, bulging stomach.

If you find yourself in a binge, DO NOT beat yourself down during it. You're just going to keep stimulating your desire to eat since you’re essentially telling your body you plan on restricting it in the future, which will only stimulate the urge to binge more and horde food while its available. So for example, the classic case of binge eaters is to promise themselves they won’t eat that food after a binge, this is one example of deprivation. It doesn't matter what it is you want to restrict, your brain doesn't care, all it knows is that you plan on depriving it in the future and that’s the message it will send your body. Again, the "last supper" scenario. But ask yourself this? How many times have you actually heeded to your own promises of no future binges? Hasn't really been working yet.

Instead, when you feel a binge coming on, ask yourself what you want to eat, even if it’s the most unhealthy food. If you don't satisfy your craving, you’re just going to continue harboring feelings of deprivation until you cave. Get whatever it is you want to eat, lay it all out on a table in front of you - if you're going to binge on it anyway, you better enjoy it. Sit down, take out a fork and knife, take a slow, calm inhale of all the smells of the food in front of you. Enjoy the smell. And finally, slowly dig in, knowing it’s all there for you to eat. As you eat, continue repeating to yourself that all this food is for you and you plan on eating it all. Mentally repeat to yourself that you are in no way going to punish yourself for eating this. You will probably find the extremely frantic feeling characteristic of a binge will be completely removed.

But don’t do this expecting to eat less, then you are just setting yourself up for disaster again since you're EXPECTING to not eat all of it. Just eat giving yourself full permission to eat it all.

Last edited by mojocat; 12-01-2013 at 03:42 AM..
Old 12-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Glad to hear the l-glutamine helped you mojo. I always tried the capsules rather than under the tongue, perhaps that is more effective.

I have done something something similar as far as allowing the food I crave when I feel bingey. I usually have the food CAD style and eat little else that day. It works to an extent, but I tend to do it too often which at best allows me to maintain my weight only if I IF for a long period after the overeating. I guess though the key is to plan to eat the food and do it in a relaxed manner without guilt interesting..

Last edited by jeaniem; 12-01-2013 at 05:19 PM..
Old 12-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

I haven't updated for a while as I have been waiting to see how things pan out but I am thrilled to report I have been binge-free with the 5htp!! I still have my days where I overeat, however I don't get that horrible full-tummy feeling that used to set me off in a frenzy. I'm like..meh ok I've had too much to eat, I've enjoyed it and I will rein it in tomorrow and I don't feel the guilt or the continuing frenzy to continue shoving crapola for the rest of the day. It is not a magic bullet though, the bingeing comes from within and I have had to work at it as well. No med will stop the binging on it's own and if it did it would be a massive dose and I would prob be a zombie on it and I don't want to be like that. The 5htp is just a very effective aid for me. I'm also taking chromium GTF as well as my W/B. I believe I had a serotonin deficiency and the 5htp is really helping me and my impulse control with regard to food and just generally feeling kinder towards myself. I am starting to feel normal towards food again. Even had a few nibbles of cake at work and that was it, no guilt, I was perfectly satisfied with a few mouse bites, no compulsion to devour more and empty out my local supermarket that evening. And yea, the cake didn't taste as nice as I thought it would - not even worth obsessing over. However, I know this will be a rest-of-my life process and I can't be complacent ever.

I've also been adopting techniques from the book The Thin Commandments Diet by Stephen Gullo. You guys have probably read it already, it's an older diet book circa 2005, I came late to the party, but I've gone out and bought a few more used copies to keep near my bed and in my bag to read it over and over. I have highlighted all the pertinent parts that I need to address and I disregard his diet recommendations (frankenfoods and low fat, saturated fat is bad etc etc) but the psychological and behavioural techniques he outlines are priceless. It's a bit of tough love but hell I needed it. If I met this guy I would hug him; he has changed my life and my attitude towards food and I'm so grateful. I don't feel deprived anymore and just feel I have the tools now to be more confident in myself. I look at the diet books I have at home and not one of them could do it for me like this one did. I understand we are all different and it really is a process of finding out what works for us as individuals, but I really wanted to share this in case it could help anyone as much it has/is for me.

Last edited by mojocat; 12-10-2013 at 08:58 PM..