Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > Low Carb Challenges!
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #181
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Rebecca130
Stats: 201/ 183/130
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: Jan 23, 2008
Can't wait to hear how Cindy's party went last night

Oh... And I'm so glad you're back MK!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2013, 05:45 AM   #182
Queen Bargain Shopper

Gallery: Radmom413
Stats: Always a work in progress!
WOE: SB Vet/NMD
Start Date: Every day is a new start!
I literally just wrote a book and lost it! UGH.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #183
Queen Bargain Shopper

MK - all I can say is:
Tell us more about DS and the upcoming nuptials.
So glad for you for DD moving home/closer. Now is the time to do it.

Religion can cause strain. DD and DSIL are struggling - they may choose non-denominational. Trying to figure out a baptism or dedication. They want a sibling from both sides as sponsor/Godparent. Both were raised catholic. Long story short - and I think they are of the same thinking as DH & I and I think DSIL's parents feel the same.......grew up Catholic (my DH is Lutheran). Very involved in church through girls in MS......DD26 is confirmed, DD23 is not - that was her choosing. She and DSIL are agnostic. Promised I wouldn't push my beliefs on my kids. I have come to believe that you don't need to show up to church weekly to be a good Christian. So many people do, and don't live the values the other 6 days. I think that's what is important. My parents pushed their beliefs on us and still try to.......Hopefully DS's FMIL won't be too over the top, Debbie!

Party was GREAT - had some laughs - and issues with drawing names, but it all worked out......I got DDs B&BW Hand soap and one of her homemade dishcloths, the fabric covered earrings, a scarf, some amazing socks with a hot chocolate packet and a mini baileys, and some Essie nail polish! The other gifts were a small candle and holder, and a very awesome handpainted mug (she saw it on pinterest) with some chocolate. I stayed and cleaned up for DD and DSIL, they were so appreciative - DD was exhausted and SO sore. I hope that changes for her soon. I went over early and got some great cuddle time in with Fletcher!

DH is still sleeping. I think I am going to head out early and get some Christmas things done.....changing the decor on my tree, and Michael's has ornaments on sale for $40 or 50% off.......I need to get cracking on shopping too! Still pulling together my Favorite Things for the Shortie group.....My group last night thought it was so cool that we were doing it!

Better post before I lose this again!!!

•○•
"It is what it is."
•○•

Last edited by Radmom413; 11-23-2013 at 05:57 AM..
Old 11-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #184
Big Yapper!!!!

Cuddle time is awesome, Cindy. Your gifts sound cool. What kind of scarf did u get? I love exchanges. I always feel so bad for a new mother and she had the party within the first month so that has to be draining. She will love Christmas with the new baby. I agree about religion. To be honest, we use to go every Saturday evening and Johns hours increased so he's rarely home in time and getting him up on Sunday morning is nearly impossible. My dads faith was very deep and it rarely went to church which taught me a lot about "religion". Anyway, I feel bad they're going through something that should be an enjoyable time with that kind of stuff.

Brad just left and now I need to run a few errands and get to moms by 11:30 to take her to Texas Roadhouse. She wanted to get out again today, I think she's anticipating the long dreaded ohio winter and being closed up a lot more than we are and wants to get out now
Old 11-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #185
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debbiedo
Stats: pretty close to perfect!
WOE: mindful eating/running off the pounds
Start Date: over and over again
Kim is getting engaged!! Wow!! So happy for her.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #186
Queen Bargain Shopper

Wow - I had to go back and re read!

YAY for Kim!!! I was hoping that Corey would be the one.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #187
Big Yapper!!!!

And one we love, Cindy!!!! He's good to her and that's all we asked from the first one.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #188
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: handbells
Stats: too much/not enough/just right
Start Date: today!
Becky-Congrats to Kim! That is awesome news!

Religion:I was raised Catholic and even went to Catholic school for elementary and high school. I've even been confirmed. When I went to college I got away from going to church. When Padraic was young and I started playing handbells at the church where we went to preschool, I joined that church (Presbyterian). I mostly went when we played bells. Now I go to a Christian church that I absolutely love! I enjoy going and I usually go every week. The people are fantastic where I've found in previous places that the people where a bit "snobby". I follow Truvy's philosophy in Steel Magnolia's "God doesn't care where you go just as long as you show up!" Though I do agree with you Cindy, that you don't have to go to church every week to be a good Christian.

Been super busy around here. Had a Pack meeting last night and had to get the awards sorted out for that. Need to clean my desk area for next week. Going to try and get that done tonight.

And of course...Dr Who special on tonight!!!!

"Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!"

"Humankind is simply materialized color operating on the 49th vibration."
Old 11-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #189
Princess Proofreader

Gallery: TuscanGirl
Stats: Sad/Happy/Wow 5'
WOE: Something like GL and LC and . . . .
Start Date: July 2003
Becky - congrats to Kim!!!!

For DS24 it will be a while before the wedding. They have go get to the same city first!

Debbie - I've always felt there's only one God - no matter how you worship. Don't worry about it!

Cindy - sounds like you made out well at the party!!
Old 11-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #190
Big Yapper!!!!

Finished another scarf. I have about 6 more to do
Old 11-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #191

Not worrying really about religion. It is really not that important. We love Sarah.

Believe me they have many other issues I worry about. Mostly financial issues.

Volunteered today at truck loading and then at race. I didn't lift much but have been in my feet. Fun watching all the runners, walkers etc. It is the only race we allow strollers. I saw people I know outside of running. Lots of families doing it together so a lot if walkers. The lights are there and people drive cars through. This is the only chance people can walk or run.

It appears the wedding will be Feb 14, 2015. It is a 3 day weekend. Now they need to find a place. She thinks there will be 160 people. I would never have more then 60 from our side not counting sons friends. Hope her father paying. We will have a larger rehearsal dinner and it will be costly. DH akready said we would buy the cake.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #192
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kellydawne
Good morning-
On the religion subject, I grew up in a large (for a small town) "non-denominational" Christian church and converted to Catholicism when the boys were small and in Catholic schools for academics since our public school where we lived was pretty lousy. We didn't have a church where we felt at home at the time and I loved going to chapel with the boys. I mostly started RCIA so I would understand what they were being taught in religion class but I felt like I was where I was supposed to be so, the boys were baptized and I received the sacraments at the same time. DH "officially" joined us a little later on. My family wasn't happy and they still don't understand but I have always said the same things that MK and Jenn just said and to paraphrase both Cindy and Jenn, I think how you live your life if far more important than how often your butt is in a pew.

The last time my parents were here my mom was going to go to church with us and she was concerned about having the right clothes to wear. She was a little shocked when I went through what you sometimes see at the early morning mass. We have older people in their Sunday best, tourists in shorts/Hawaiian shirts, runners stopping in during their workout, and the occasional homeless person. I love it that all of the different types of people can sit together and worship without judging.

Debbie, the race sounded like a lot of fun! I love seeing the baby joggers! (I will occasionally see them here with a pet inside. (It's a slightly different stroller and it always cracks me up to see one with a dog or rarely a cat in it)

Becky, Congrats to Kim! (and the girls too!)

MK, it will be fun to hear about your DS's wedding plans too! Is he planning to move or is she or will they look for something entirely different somewhere entirely different?
What kind of acting does your DD want to do? That can be a tough business!

Jenn, I saw a Dr. Who special on Hulu is it the same one? The 50 years special was there along with the Christmas special.

Cindy, it sounds like the party was fun! I can't imagine hosting anything without help with a little guy Fletcher's age! We have a friend that did a HUGE Christmas party when her little guy was about 6 months old and it was great, but she had her mom come and stay with her and she had a nanny and was able to hire additional help. Most people can't do that! (they needed to entertain for clients because of her business so that makes a difference)
Old 11-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #193
Big Yapper!!!!

Got the girls off, went to the grocery, sorta straightened the dining room and moving room, have to sweep the floor. Just played some games and now going to knit for a bit and sweep in a little bit
Old 11-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #194
Blabbermouth!!!

Kelly-yes, it was the 50th anniversary special. The Christmas one shouldn't be out yet, so that might be last year?

MK-what did you think? Did you watch?

Need to start doing some cleaning tonight to clear up my schedule for tomorrow. Thanksgiving is coming to fast!

Oh! We close on the house Wednesday!!!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2013, 04:01 AM   #195
Queen Bargain Shopper

YAY it's Monday!

Good thing is it's a short week!

Jenn - you close Wednesday ALREADY! Wow! Congrats! When will you move?

It was a nice weekend. Didn't get much done, but that's ok. Did some shopping at Target yesterday - had to return something and ended up with a new pair of boots and a long sweater! , but I did pick up some St. Nick things for the kids and a couple of My Favorite Things for my Shortie!

DD23's DH's maternal grandmother passed away last night. She had cancer and had been ill. He's pretty upset as she was a smoker and he has no patience for that. She lived in the Milwaukee area, so they tried to get up to the hospital last night before she passed and didn't make it.

Thanksgiving will be quiet here - I am cooking vegan Italian. No need for turkey and all the fixings here. DD26 and I will be heading out about 6 a.m. Friday morning. She is still pretty sore and is wondering how long she will last. She and DSIL's family go get their tree's then on Friday afternoon.

Did I tell you all how the conversation about work hours went? Well, I worried about nothing.......my boss wasn't there, but our lead facilitated the meeting and basically said.....night hours are not going away, we are going to continue to have our one day a week and the good news was that my one friend/teammate could switch her night to a different one, our new person could have Thursdays and I was able to go to 8-4:30 hours M,W,TH, F (Tues is my late night). My boss had said at the last meeting to my one teammate when she tried to bring up changing our hours - if you are going to bring up night hours, I am leaving. So that's done and over with.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Old 11-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #196
Blabbermouth!!!

Happy Birthday Debbie!

We are actually going to be moving all of our stuff from storage into the house garage (it's huge) on Friday and Saturday so we don't have to pay for storage in December.

The house itself needs a little bit of work on it plus some painting, so will be working on that over the next few months. So probably not until Spring

Cindy-glad the hours thing worked out for you!

So busy...helping MIL clean house today, plus need to go to bank and grocery store. Committee meeting for Scouts tonight. Just lots going on.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #197
Blabbermouth!!!

Not quite awake yet. Forgot to finish the post.

Becky-I need to get knitting on a Christmas gift. How long do your scarves take you?

Thanksgiving is here at MIL's. I am making a pumpkin swirl cheesecake and stuffing tomorrow and will make brisket on Wednesday. I'm pretty sure MIL is cooking the turkey on Wednesday too, but not entirely for certain.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #198
Big Yapper!!!!

to Debbie!!! What do u have planned for today?

jenn, the infinity scarves take about 5 hours to make. I'm making Kim one now that I knitting on all evening Saturday and all day yesterday. John and Cory's took about 3 weeks each
Old 11-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #199

I am spending the day with my hubby. Going to lunch at a special DC restaurant. Starving now but don't want to eat, told the kids we won't go out with all for dinner. I don't want to spend like that after going out for lunch plus having 12 for Thanksgiving meant a lot of food shopping.

Jenn, I didn't read that you actually got the house. Congratulations. That heated garage sounds like it will be put to good use. Did I read you have a family friend living with you??

I never realized you were renting your home now. Lucky you didn't have to worry about selling. My DS29 looking for a place to rent they can afford. They may keep their roommate. He works late at night. They want a basement type area for him with a bathroom but will share the kitchen. Hard to afford things here whether it is a rental or buying. They also have three small dogs and want a fenced in yard. They have about 6 weeks to find dime thing and will work with a realtor.

Working 12 tomorrow then off till Sunday. Volunteering at another race Saturday but haven't signed up yet to do so. DH did but I thought he included me.

Wednesday I go to a possible wedding venue with Sarah. My older boys had their Bar Mizvahs there. Will be expensive because she will need big ball room and surrounding rooms. I don't think her dad has given her a budget. Since he isn't paying for grad school he may give her more.

Must eat a snack before we go. Hope lunch is yummy and there are gluten free options.
There usually are. DC is not like NYC for food especially gluten free.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #200
Big Yapper!!!!

Jenn we have a heated garage and it's awesome! Especially if u run out to get something from the garage which is where the freezer is that has my Jenny food. If the garage is cold u know its frigid outside!!!!

Have fun Debbie. Enjoy lunch
Old 11-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #201

Our garage isn't heated but always warmer then outside.

Beautiful cold sunny day here but bad weather coming the next two days.
I pray for an easy winter but there are people saying it will be a bad one. This area tends to get a lot of ice. When it snows everything shuts down. I hate being at work when you aren't allowed to leave. We are told to pack bags. It snowed a little Saturday night. Just a few flurries but rare for here.

Not sure why I worry about things I can't change.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #202
Princess Proofreader

Hi!

Jenn - congrats on the house!!!! You'll have so much fun making it yours!
And I did watch! Really enjoyed it! And loved how they tied a lot of old strings together!

Happy birthday Debbie!!!! Did you find some good food?
And things I can't control are my favorite things to worry about!

I'd just love to be able to use my garage - how did we get so much stuff in there?

Cindy - glad things are going well!! I have to do some shopping tomorrow and get the wine together for Thanksgiving - my only duty!

Kelly - I remember your youngest DS used to act!! DD wants to do theater. We'll see how it goes, but I figure she better try now if she really wants to!

DS24 and GF first want to get to the same town. He's trying to move to NOLA. But he needs a job down there. I really like her, so I hope this will all work out soon.

DH goes to get his stitches out from the last surgery (ear cancer) tomorrow and will talk to the doc who is very proactive for him about this other bladder thing - whatever it is.

I'm friends with that doc's wife and found out today I also know the radiologist's wife, so I know they're good docs that will do everything they can for DH!

Circles of fashion are more like spirals, covering the same area but never arriving in the same place twice!

°°◊°°
Old 11-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #203

MK so much going on for you.

I think I have everything I need for thanksgiving. The stores are crazy.

Face timed with DS31, his wife and Bella. Bella kisses the screen. I just love her so much. Did I tell you she is completely potty trained??

Found out a friend is pregnant and due right around the same time as DIL. They are the same age. Friend's family owns our favorite running store.

DH and I stayed home tonight. The restaurant was good and very accommodating. I wanted shirt ribs and they told me there was soy in marinade which isn't gluten free. I had salmon. They came to table and told me every thing was gluten free. Basically skipped dinner. Had some of my favorite popcorn.

I am going to wake up hungry. Trying to go to gym before work.

Supposed to have my house cleaned Wednesday, go to Pooks Hill Marriott with Sarah. It don't be what she wants. Then I need to cook rest if day.Friday she is checking another venue in Baltimore. She is excited about it but it is crazy expensive.

Having 12 for dinner Thursday. 9 our family and 3 friends.

It was a nice birthday today because I got to spend the day with my husband. Getting a zillion Facebook birthday greetings kind of nice too. Got a text from my dear friend Ruth in Alaska too.

My mom didn't call which us weird. Didn't send her usual birthday check either. I think she is perseverating about money more then she normally does. They are fairly well off and try to live cheap but she has gotten almost compulsive about her spending. She don't buy clothes unless they are from Goodwill. They are all designer and name brand things but she won't spend for new things unless they are a bargain. The worst is she goes on and on about it. She has always been a bargain hunter but she never went on and on about it.

It is 11:30 and I can't sleep.
6:30 wake up May not happen.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:13 AM   #204
Queen Bargain Shopper

Glad you had a great birthday, Debbie!

MK - continued thoughts and prayers!
I am guessing there is more of a chance of DS going to NOLA than GF coming to Milwaukee? When does DD move back?

I am so annoyed with my boss - who I think I may have mentioned was a very good friend of mine in my early days at the college. I emailed her FIRST thing yesterday morning saying I would like to take off Wednesday afternoon. I never heard back from her. In the meantime, my coworker - the one that works out with her regularly, asks for the entire day off and she approves it. At the end of the day I went to her office and said did you get my email about Wednesday? She hesitates and says yes.......I think we should be ok. WTH? Are you serious? It's the day before Thanksgiving - which is usually dead! I said, well when I emailed you no one else was off......and now I know G is.....and she is like, yeah, I think we should be ok, but like questioning.....I said well, if it makes any difference, I did email you first thing this morning. I was so annoyed. I emailed at 8, G didn't come in until 9:30 and asked at that time. Don't you think the one that asks first should get priority. I understand I have been taking a day a week, but it is MY vacation time and I it's not affecting anything - it's not a busy time! I almost feel like I want to say something to her about it.............

Late day today. We are doing a team photo today, reenacting a scene from The Grinch. It's for our holiday party on 12/10. We are all wearing some sort of pj's/robes....should be fun.

Kind of glad it will be quiet here for Thanksgiving. I think DD, DSIL and my little Grand will be here during the day sometime. She likes to come over for my caramel rolls, but I think it would be a long day for her, so I guess I will let her decide.....they go to DSIL's Mom's. Also glad we aren't doing a big meal - it will always either be just DH and I and DD23......her DH kind of goes back and forth but they really don't celebrate till the weekend. With his Grandma passing, I am not sure what this year will hold. Thanksgiving is not that big of a deal to me.

I'm strategizing for BF shopping; going to do some online on Thursday, then DD and I will head out for a while on Friday. She did call the doc about how sore she still is and some other things, and doc said they were all normal. I wanted to tell her that, but she needed to hear it from her doc. She hates that she still is so sore. Personally, I also think she needs to start wearing something a little more supportive on her tummy other than leggings.....I remember having some pants that were a bit bigger and that really helped too.....but what do I know - I just had TWO C-sections!

Well, I better close this chapter! Can't wait to mail my Shorties gift - it will go out sometime on the weekend and will do priority mail, so think WHOEVER I have should receive it by mid week!!!!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #205

Think I am mailing mine tomorrow. It is packed and ready. Found a box from wedding gifts. My basement is holding all their gifts till they move into a bigger rental. They want a house. It will most likely be a townhouse.

Didn't go to the gym. My back was horrible Saturday and while remaking my bed yesterday it was hurting when I had to lift the corners of the mattress to make hospital corners. DH can't manage that. He was helping me but always wants me to use my expertise with hospital corners.

My dad is supposed to fly to California tomorrow. I wonder if his flights will be cancelled.

I love Thanksgiving. It is our favorite holiday. We don't celebrate any other big holidays. It is a lot of work. I have people bringing dessert and stuffing. Asked friend to bring pumpkin like bread. Mirsa is making guacamole for before we eat. I told people to come early. Eating around 3:30.

I have a lot to cook in one oven. I am making some things tomorrow. Will have to take the turkey out and let it sit 30 minutes. It might end up being 45-60 minutes. I'll cover in heavy duty foil.

Cindy, it must be hard having a friend as your boss.

No BF shopping here. I will order things online for Bella. Not getting much. Do need to start pie baking next weekend.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #206
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning-
DS20 made it in last night for the week. It's always nice to have him home. I don't think most of his friends are coming home for the holiday, but we'll see. He was starting to get a little homesick so it's good that he was able to come home!

I did a little baking over the weekend and yesterday. I made a candy recipe I adapted from a paleo website. (It's yummy, but super rich and NOT low carb) a low carb (crustless) pumpkin pie and two pecan pies (for the boys) along with some cookies. The house smelled so good!

Jenn, Congrats on the house! That's so exciting! We have our garage as an extra room and it's so nice! Ours isn't heated or insulated, but that is okay here.

Cindy, I think we probably will skip the turkey here too. Both boys want tri-tip, so we'll probably do that but with the sides/desserts we would normally have for Thanksgiving. I'm also going to attempt to make my grandmother's chicken/dumplin's DS16 has already told me they won't be as good simply because I don't have 86 years of love to go in them. He's a funny kid...

The work situation sounds frustrating! I had a similar situation with a boss before we moved, she made a huge deal of me taking any vacation time. (I had more than a month of vacation time when I left because she made it so difficult for me to take any) Hang in there and

Debbie, a day late!
I feel like your real estate market is probably a lot like ours. It's crazy expensive and we could never have afforded to live here in our 20's.

MK, we had fun with DS16's brief acting "career" (he never got paid, but still...) We have a "school within a school" here for arts students, it's very similar to "Fame" except the theater/dance/voice etc students are in their English/History type classes with everyone else. It's admission by audition only and it is a very interesting program.
Good for her for not giving up a dream and taking an easy path!

I hope you all get good news when you see the docs. I always felt better seeing people that I knew outside of their practice too even if it was just a friend of a friend kind of thing.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #207
Big Yapper!!!!

Just for home from taking moms eye drops to her. She wasn't awake yet so I out them in her door. Don't like to go in when she's sleeping, I'm always fearful I will scare her.

Alyssa's last day today. They will be with me for a whole so Kim can have dinner with Cory before he leaves for PA with Noah. She has oneasaage tomorrow from 12-1 so they will be with me then too.

I like thanksgiving but my big thing is Christmas Eve. We've always celebrated or (John and I) since our 2nd one. We tried to spend the first one together and all h*ll broke lose with my family so we decide then when we has kids it would always be celebrated on the Eve. It works out well now cuz the girls go to brads on Christmas Day.

Be back after everyone checks in and my cats aren't begging for food! They're so starved, ya know!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hit post too soon...

Becky! Enjoy the girls this week!
Old 11-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #209
Princess Proofreader

Be back for a real post later - but lots of errands - and I wanted my person to know that I'm mailing my gift today.

Everything in it is a weird shape and too hard to wrap - so DON'T OPEN THE BOX!!!
Unless you want to see what it is before St Nick's Day!
Repeating - nothing in the box is wrapped!

That is all.

I'll be back later for a real chat!
Old 11-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #210
Big Yapper!!!!

MaryKay. Is nothing in the box wrapped? Haha. Ok, if it's me I'll keep the box closed up til we unwrap
Closed Thread